Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Call me a prude, but I do think they go at it in an immodest manner.  I've been to a lot of weddings, none of them who saved the first kiss, and even they do a modest public kiss.  Open mouth at the alter is just too creepy and inappropriate.  The funny thing is, everyone at these weddings is into the kiss.  They go about it like a bunch of freaky voyeurs.  It's like it's the fundy version of HBO for these people.

Most couples are more modest about the kiss because they have kissed before -- hundreds of times -- so it's not at all exciting to kiss at the ceremony, it's just a part of the ceremony. They likely were kissing at the rehearsal dinner the night before so it's not like they've been waiting their whole lives for it and will have a whole congregation screaming out "amen" -- like at the Bates wedding. And they have enough discretion to realize they have the rest of their lives to kiss -- no need to go for it in front of elderly grandparents and while standing 4 ft away from a priest in a church.

I'm surprised at how it looks in the People pic though. Presumably Derick has kissed before -- having a counterpart who knows what he's doing, it should look better than that because all Jill had to do was hold still. It's possible that she flinched though -- as much as I'm sure she's excited, she's never had anyone that close to her before and it would be normal to flinch. Chad and Erin did a nice job -- it sounded like Chad really thought about how he wanted to do it and Erin's job was to hold still.

For as modest as they claim to be, they are so immodest. If kissing is so personal -- here's a thought, don't do it at the ceremony. Even William and Kate did not kiss at their ceremony because the Church of England doesn't allow it in holy places, and their kiss on the balcony was so quick that the public wanted another. Jessa ought to follow that example instead of her sister's way.

• Love 6

Derick told People magazine that he wanted to dip Jill for their first kiss and in that photo you can see his hand at the back of her neck presumingly to steady her as he's leaning over. I think it was just a bad shot/angle and their kiss probably wasn't as awkward when seen in person/movement (hopefully).

In other news, I happened to catch an episode of 19K&C and I noticed that this friend of Jill's, Amanda Capps (sp?), who baked her wedding cake was the same expecting mother who was featured in the birthing episode this past season. I think it's sweet that one of her friends volunteered to make their wedding cake even though the end result was kind of...low budget. Doubt that Jill (or Derick) cared much though because they strike me as two who would appreciate the sentiment behind it more than whether or not their cake was lopsided. Now if it was Jessa's wedding, I could see a lot of smirking and side comments going on.

I don't know, maybe I drank too much kool-aid but I find it pretty hard to snark on Jill and Derick's wedding pictures or relationship in general. They just both seem so earnest and genuinely in love with each other. And based on how the show handled their courtship this season, I'm pretty optimistic that their wedding episode won't be a ridiculous snarkfest like Josh and Anna's were. I feel like the production crew has a fondness for the older Duggar girls, but especially Jana and Jill, and I could see them wanting to make Jill's wedding day really special and minimize any uncomfortable situations that may arise. Which hopefully means no "heartfelt" pre-wedding night talk between Michelle and Jill, flashing lights and confetti when Jerick first kiss or shots of them slamming their hotel door in front of the cameramen's faces. 

• Love 6

In the episode where Michelle water skis and accidentally exposes her knees, she clearly states that keeping her knees covered is her own personal conviction to God, not required by their religion.  I think that's proven to be not true by the obvious attempt to insure that even the littlest girls keep their knees covered, even to the extent of adding a separate material to the bottoms of the bridesmaid dresses.

Yes, but as we have figured out, whatever Michelle's personal convictions are become standards for the entire family, Mary included.  Josh has loosened up some in that he wears shorts,  watches some TV, lives on his computer and so forth... but that is because he a. is male, and b. doesn't live at home.    Jill and Jessa were not given the promised leeway to court/date per their preferences or to decide what would be allowable in the courtship.  This was proven by the response to her and Derick frontal hugging when he got back from Nepal. 

• Love 2

I liked the picture of the first kiss simply because it was definitely NOT a side hug. It did look a bit awkward but so very eager and sweet.

And I'm so glad I got to learn to kiss without an audience!

Right? First kisses are hard enough without the entire world watching!

• Love 1

I wonder if Jill could have said anything that would truly convince me or anyone else that she actually chose the standards of their courtship, and didn't just do them because it was easier than making waves or to not embarrass her parents a la "Breaking Duggar" since you know TLC would exploit the heck out of that.  I know several people who have made comments during their courtship about how the girls have said that they will be courting and saving their kisses for marriage and all that, and that it's their own decision, not one made by their parents and clearly these people believe that. My answer to them is OF COURSE that's what they're going to say, whether it's because they actually do believe that or because their parents threaten them otherwise or they don't want to deal with the media, and they figure "hey, it's a short courtship, waiting is easier". Anyway, I don't think Jill could have said much that would really convince me she chose the standards and of course now that she's married it doesn't really matter, but I really hope that she follows whatever path in married life that SHE wants, and if that's having a passel of kids, then carry on, but if it's have a modest amount (six-ish?) and being able to midwife on the side, I sure do hope that she can do that.

• Love 1

You just know Kate media hound is just drooling for her girls to get old enough to date.  For the life of me I can't remember her last name (the chick with 8 kids).  She's seeing all this positive press Jill is getting and she's probably screaming at the oldest girls to get a boyfriend.

I hope Jill doesn't read these posts and that no one tells her about them.  She looks so happy, and she and Derrick look great - but the reviews on the shoes and the hems on the dresses would probably make her sad.  I guess I'm in the minority on the cake - I think it looks fine.

• Love 2

I'm not sure which child is by Jana's feet, but I am cracking up that she has one sandal on, one sandal off, and is showing off her underwear.

I think that is Makenzie. That is too cute!

• Love 1

Kate Gosselin. I saw in People mag today that TLC is doing a special on them soon but I don't think they get nearly the ratings that the Duggars do and would not anticipate the kids' dating adventures to bring much media attention.

I think it's a definite possibility that the cake is supposed to be that way. I'd also bet it was a dummy cake if it was out at the thousand people reception.

Jill will have a hard time being or keeping up with her midwife studying once the babies start coming. She cannot take her child(ren) with her while she helps delivers a baby. Mullet would probably not help her out, so either her sick mother-in-law or one of her sisters could have to babysit for her.

Go to quiver full of snark and then quiver full of duggars.

That cake looks very homemade, but not bad for homemade.The everyone the same height thing is weird, but at least they aren't in flip flops.

The only shoes that look really bad to me are the clunky dark ones on far left. The rest are ok.

I don't like any of the shoes AT ALL. IMO they are much too casual for a wedding. I don't care for the bridesmaid's dresses either but the shoes are just not appropriate for something as dressy as a wedding. Of course, the Duggars have never been fashion gurus so what can you expect, I guess. I do love Jill and Derrick, and I wish them the very best in their marriage!

• Love 2

Considering that one Gosselin twin is a snotty, miserable brat, I don't think many guys will be beating down Kate's door to date her daughters.

Hopefully Jill doesn't read the posts because literally every Duggar forum and gossip site has been discussing her sex life. Our snark is G-rated compared to some of the comments I've read elsewhere!

The Kate plus 8 special already aired. I can't see there being that much interest about Kate's kids' boyfriends/girlfriends. There will be interest among the fans that want to watch the kids grow up, but unlike the Duggars their lifestyle isn't that odd. They go to regular school and are being raised fairly normal. Chances are that they will meet a boy or girl in school and go to the school dances, prom, etc. and maybe have a high school sweetheart like most kids in America -- they'll hug, kiss, maybe more, go out to eat dinner and watch movies, hold hands, spend time with the families etc. and then maybe they will or will not stay together and get married a decade later. The Duggars are interesting because they DON'T do those things. When you make holding hands and hugging to be so taboo among your 20-something "kids" -- that's what the public wants to watch because it is so odd in American culture.

• Love 2

Well, I went to a wedding recently where the bridesmaids wore knee-length, strapless (of course) white dresses that were perfectly fine, but they all wore Converse with them.  No seriously.  At a wedding.  In a church.  Apparently that's the vibe the bride was going for.  To each their own, I guess, but I thought it looked hideous. So the sandals here, while not ideal certainly, aren't the worst thing I've ever seen.

• Love 1

Well, I went to a wedding recently where the bridesmaids wore knee-length, strapless (of course) white dresses that were perfectly fine, but they all wore Converse with them.  No seriously.  At a wedding.  In a church.  Apparently that's the vibe the bride was going for.  To each their own, I guess, but I thought it looked hideous. So the sandals here, while not ideal certainly, aren't the worst thing I've ever seen.

I think that's kinda awesome! But then again, I do love my Chucks.  I'd probably wear a nice pair of heels for the pictures, but once that part was over, the rest of the day would be spent wearing sneakers :)

• Love 4

Kate Gosselin. I saw in People mag today that TLC is doing a special on them soon but I don't think they get nearly the ratings that the Duggars do and would not anticipate the kids' dating adventures to bring much media attention.

I think it's a definite possibility that the cake is supposed to be that way. I'd also bet it was a dummy cake if it was out at the thousand people reception.

One of the early articles People put out (maybe Sunday?) noted that there was the main cake and several sheet cakes.

I think that all the bridesmaids shoes came from the local GoodWill. Those shoes are mostly from the 80';s.

Now that you mention it I thought the shoes didn't look fresh but didn't put it together that they might be used. Just never considered USED for a wedding AND being featured on TV.

• Love 4

I think that all the bridesmaids shoes came from the local GoodWill. Those shoes are mostly from the 80';s.

. Sadly that was my immediate thought when I first saw the picture. So sad. I'm sure they could of found something cheap at Payless Shoes that matched.
  • Love 2

Wow, now that you mention it the shoes did have a dusty, well-worn look to them. Hannie's looked like they were a size too big. It wouldn't surprise me if they fished them out of a Goodwill bin. Keepin it klassy ya'll!

• Love 2

In the episode where Michelle water skis and accidentally exposes her knees, she clearly states that keeping her knees covered is her own personal conviction to God, not required by their religion.

I can't imagine, as busy as God must be, that he gives a rat's about Michelle Duggar's knees.

Josh has loosened up some in that he wears shorts,

He wears shorts? How have I missed this??

• Love 3

I know the Duggars are anti-TV but do they watch sports? I know Josh does and I'm guessing Derick won't suddenly start going without tv. As I'm watching the world cup, I'm wondering if the Duggars watch and why not -- it has nothing to do with different faiths or anything like that.

And Jill just posted a new pic on Twitter -- celebrating their one week "anniversary." They're on a beach somewhere and Jill is wearing a t shirt w little sleeves -- progress.

• Love 1

I hope she's been talking to Alyssa Bates Webster and is taking the shining opportunity of married life to lose the double shirts and begin to wear more fashionable and comfortable clothing.  Hopefully Derick told her he'd be overjoyed to help her pick out a reasonable swimsuit. 

Bring up the wedding special on his first picture with his wife on instagram. Need some promotion I guess  *lol*

Well it's likely that TLC paid for their honeymoon and/or wedding so they're probably just returning the favor. Interesting that Derick and Jill posted nearly identical messages within minutes of each other after being silent on social media all week. They both look very happy. Wonder which beach they're staying at? It seems pretty secluded and nice. I had a brief, horrifying thought that they might be staying at the same beach house that Josh and Anna stayed at for their honeymoon but surely they wouldn't stoop that low, would they??

• Love 1

Jill looks lovely in that pic. She really does.  And unlike other sisters -- cough cough, Jessa, cough cough -- she really seems to be a very humble, kind person. I'm happy for her. 

Looks like they're in the Carolinas somewhere.  Derrick is postiviely glowing (as he should be with what he finally accomplished) and Jill looks so happy. Love she is looking all natural and relaxed!

• Love 1

I wonder if she'll share with her sisters (the older ones of course) how kissing a boy and having sex is and if that will make them more curious and ready to experience it as well.

I'm just catching up on all my reading here. Jinger is positively unrecognizable in the wedding pics. I don't get why they had hundreds of "volunteers" to make snacks or whatever - damn, JB is one cheap jackass ! I also think our newlyweds are in the Carolinas. Derrick looks content and Jill looks dazed and...high.

Also chuckled at the previous comment that Mullet looks cross-eyed.

Why is everyone guessing NC? There's barely any background in any of the pics -- is there something that identifies it as a NC beach versus SC or Florida or the Gulf states?

Jill does look a bit dazed, but frankly think about how much she has gone through in 7 days. She was excited about it, but still to go from just hand-holding to hugging, kissing and sex in 7 days would be overwhelming for any woman; not to mention she is completely alone with him now -- she's never been completely alone with a male. Right now she must be feeling like the "show is on" -- i.e. I can't let him see me without my hair done; what will he think if I'm in the bathroom too long; OMG I have nothing to say but I feel like I MUST make conversation. I think she will share some of the feelings with her older sisters -- I'm not sure why but I think she'd do it to "prepare" them a bit; whereas if Jessa had been first, I feel like she'd gloat how she had sex but wouldn't do anything to "help" her sisters navigate.

• Love 3

She may be confuse about her new role in life. She went from sharing a room with her sisters, taking care of her younger siblings, and being part of the dog and pony show for years to courting and getting married within a short period of time. She might be confused, overwhelm and even scared right now.

She may be thrilled with the freedom.  Jill has probably had the most self-determination of any of the daughters.  She's been out associating with non-Gothard folks and not even IFB folks.  She has been out of the house with just Jana and no one really tracking them as they went to deliver babies at odd hours.  She was probably the most prepared to leave the house and move on.  I expect it's been an adjustment but I think it may be even more of an adjustment to return to real life in a house by herself all day.  I hope she continues her midwife training just to have something to do. 

• Love 3