Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Why is Derick wearing his cell phone?

I think that's his microphone pack.

I respectfully state that I don't think most people do a dollar dance.  I've yet to see one and none of my children's friends have had one.  I think they may be quite common in some areas or cultures and pretty much absent in others.

• Love 3

Where I live, the dollar dance is almost always done.  I've also been to a wedding where there was no music, but little kids carried the bride and groom's shoes around asking for donations for the honeymoon.  That one was REALLY tacky.

Guess I've gotten used to the dollar dance thing.  I usually join in because you get to have a few moments to chat while you dance.

But I've never seen the mother's dress displayed.  Still scratching my head over that one!

(edited)

I'll be willing to bet that with his mom's health, Derick's got that cell phone with him where ever he goes. :(

Seems that Chris Jeub answered the question about Jill and Derick being at the Duggar's for the "after party," Which most suspected that they were not.

"Wendy and I used to think WE were hospitable, but the Duggars definitely out-do us. Jill and Derrick skipped town after the wedding, but the party continued at their home through the weekend. Here are some pictures... — with Wendy Jeub and 3 others. (17 photos)"

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2

Have the Duggars ever been to a beach? I can't imagine Jill feeling comfortable around a bunch of women in bikinis and bare chested guys in trunks. Entirely too much defrauing potential for both of them. I have a feeling they either went off to some sort of fundie run camp or to a big city with lots of sightseeing possibilities. As much as I'd like to, I can't imagine them relaxing on a tropical beach.

(edited)

Just what every new bride wants to do on her honeymoon - go grocery shopping and cook for a week. To each his own, I suppose.

Edited by Hpmec
  • Love 3

Chris Jeub also posted this:

Wow, what lodging! The Duggars put us up at the famous Fort Rock. One of their episodes centered on this family camp, tucked alongside the Ozarks.

So apparently at least some of the "friends" got comped lodging....

In the Midwest (other than Chicago), the dollar dance is quite common.  You can participate or not, and usually people line up to do so.   Those of us at a certain age remember how expensive it is to start your lives together and are happy to contribute a few dollars.  However, that is because we refuse to buy gifts that we can't afford, or travel to weddings that we really don't want to attend.   Also, I do not believe that Jill has much money regardless of what her Dad has.  Any book money has to be divided among the four of them, and I bet Jim Bob charges expenses to the young women for the book tour, etc. 

Maybe the 'cop car' is the old one that Jim Bob keeps at the end of his lane to discourage looky-loos.

Glad to see that Derick and Jill are quietly being defiant with facial hair at the wedding, and a beautiful cap sleeve dress.  I just hope they continue to do so.

• Love 1

I went to a Czech wedding in Ohio and there was a dollar dance with the bride.  It was a longstanding tradition.  Men would pay a buck, get a shot of booze, and a dance for a minute.  It raised a lot of money for the couple.  It was the best wedding I ever went to--polka band and all. 

• Love 4

In my waspy world, asking for money of any sort, or in any way is considered gauche. So, most couples end up with a bunch of gifts they don't need since they have already established a home. I think we should move toward down payment registries. That's the kind of thing that would help the couple these days.

• Love 6

I've heard of people doing the dollar dance forty years ago with close family, but I thought it was outdated to do so. I would have never felt comfortable asking people for money outright at my wedding reception because it's bad etiquette. If people come to your reception their presence is a gift in and of itself. As someone said above: the wedding is for the couple while the reception is for the guests. 

• Love 2

Isn't there also some sort of thing in some areas where on a ladies night out, random friends and people pin bills onto the person's dress?   I saw this on a show once, I'm not sure if it had to do with marriage, but thought it was extremely tacky. (it had nothing to do with stripping or lap-dances)

Any idea if and when TLC is going to cover the big event?

(edited)

@MrMattyMatt  ~ I saw the ladies night out money thing in a movie with Sandra Bullock called "The Proposal" but I'd bet its origin is really from English pubs. I've actually never heard of it being done by strangers in a public place. Sounds like a bad idea and a fine line between fun and possible assault.

Edited by Almost 3000
(edited)

I went to a Czech wedding in Ohio and there was a dollar dance with the bride.  It was a longstanding tradition.  Men would pay a buck, get a shot of booze, and a dance for a minute.  It raised a lot of money for the couple.  It was the best wedding I ever went to--polka band and all. 

In the Filipino culture it is almost always anticipated.  We had a money dance at my wedding and decades later all the weddings we've attended (including different cultures) had it.  I didn't know guests were getting shots of booze at my wedding.  Before DHB and I were about to leave here comes my mom with a pretty large roll of cash.  She told us that guests were asking for money shots so she obliged them and went to the bar, got a few bottles of whiskey, a pack of small water plastic cups and a bowl for them to put money in.  We were happy and the guests were happy.

Edited by abseedee

In Catholic weddings I have been to here in the South, the bride wears a wristlet purse (smallish) and people tuck money into that as they dance or give her a hug. And they usually have big sit down dinners and free booze. So you might put in whatever you would have spent on dinner and drinks.

At baptist weddings I have been to, I've not seen that because there usually isn't any dancing. And they usually just have a fruit tray, cake, nuts and maybe mints. 

Jill's is the first baptist wedding I have seen where the couple begs for money. As the daughter of millionaires and someone who is quite wealthy in her own right, her begging from money from her wedding guests seems to be in very bad taste.  Especially when she knows that probably well over half the wedding guests live in poverty or near it because of the Gothard cult rules that force repetitious child birth whether the family can afford to support the children or not. 

• Love 5

The dollar dance is still alive and well.  My brother did not have one at his wedding a couple weekends ago and I'm not sure I would do it at mine because I'm a little weird around people I hardly know but honestly it's a great money maker for the couple.  Most people give way more than $1. I've been to weddings where quite a few people gave $20 or even $50.  And it is a great time for family members to spend a little time with the bride or groom alone. 

As interesting as it is, guys, this wedding talk is getting off-topic.  Since there was no "dollar dance" at this wedding (that we know of) I see no reason to keep discussing it or other wedding traditions not directly related to what happened at Dill's wedding.  Let's bring it back on topic, ok?  Thanks.

• Love 3
(edited)

[snip]

But, I did look at their registry and there were still a lot of things not bought.  Now I know that you are not obligated to buy off their registry, but with 1,000 people there (how many families would that be?) you would think they would have close to nothing left on their wish lists.

Edited by Rhondinella
off-topic per mod post abover

The WalMart registry wasn't very fulfilled, but that Bed, Bath and Beyond one certainly was. Holy cow. I was wondering where the hell they're going to put all that shit?

How pathetic that just admitted that I looked at both before the wedding to see what they're getting. I need a Cher/Moonstruck smack right now. 

Let me help you with that "Snap out of it!"

:)

Chris Jeub - JimBoob and J'Shell could have let many families put tents all over their compound, sprung for the cost of a dozen port-O-potties, and supplied a buffet breakfast in the morning if they really wanted to help out their "guests" who they know full well have  A LOT less money than they do.

• Love 2

As the daughter of millionaires and someone who is quite wealthy in her own right, her begging from money from her wedding guests seems to be in very bad taste.

Unless I missed an article somewhere down the line, Jim Bob and Michelle might be millionaires, but I sincerely doubt that Jill is "wealthy" herself.  Is there a link to something that provides their financial status individually?  TIA. 

Jill should be wealthy.  Ever since she turned 18, she SHOULD be getting her own paycheck from appearing on a realty show (6 years of checks) but we don't know that.  Neither TLC or JimBoob will say if the adult members of the family get paid separately and what is done with that money.

• Love 3

In the Chris Jeub pics, I'm trying to decide if the game of spoons they're playing is safer with the plastic spoons they've got or with regular spoons like in my family. I know we get pretty rowdy, and I suspect if we had plastic spoons they'd get broken and someone would lose an eye! Maybe the neat guests purposed to play classy spoons (read: non-violent). You never know!

Guys, once again, see my note above about staying on topic.  We're done talking about wedding traditions that have no relation to the show itself.  I've just deleted a couple posts from people who didn't get the memo.  Thanks to everyone else for veering back on topic.

• Love 1

Doing the math, Lisa Marie Presley was conceived 2 weeks before the wedding. Think we can be pretty confident that won't happen with the Dillards. 

• Love 2

@ChicksDigScars ~ Its was also one of the poises Jill pinned on her Pinterest.

I wanna see the bridesmaids, darn it. So far Jill's event is surprisingly tasteful as I wasn't expecting much after viewing the colorful Tori Bates wedding choices. I think there were at least two wedding planners involved. The first was probably a paid or not church representative and second a coordinator hired by TLC. This seemed to be a fairly buttoned up event and we know Michelle didn't do it.

If TLC paid for a wedding planner, photographer, etc, these do not come cheap. It seems to me that they could also have spent a little on the reception for all the guests that attended.

In my waspy world, asking for money of any sort, or in any way is considered gauche. So, most couples end up with a bunch of gifts they don't need since they have already established a home. I think we should move toward down payment registries. That's the kind of thing that would help the couple these days.

From what I've seen, many couples simply return the unwanted gifts for credit or cash.

These two are finally alone without JimBoob and Mullet listening in on their conversations or being tailed by chaperones. I know they are fond of saying that courting allows them to get to know each other in a non-physical way. All well and good. But how well can you really get to know someone when you never have any privacy? They are only now, as a married couple, finally getting the alone time everybody else takes for granted long before the wedding. I hope for their sakes they put off the baby making until they have a chance to really settle into married life and just enjoy each other for the time being. There is plenty of time for parenthood later. Besides, Jill might well be happy to be temporarily free of the childcare responsibilities she's been saddled with for years.

• Love 7
(edited)

It's nice to think of them putting off baby making, but realistically how can they?  They don't believe in birth control of any sort.  Even natural family planning (rhythm method) is a form of birth control.  So unless they abstain from sex totally*, Jill will be pregnant (barring any infertility problems) most likely within a couple of months.

*What newlywed ever abstains from sex?

Edited by Honey
  • Love 1

Agree with the person who mentioned that about the newly woods not abstaining.

Evangelicals of the Gothard cult only believe in abstaining for fasting and prayer on rare occasions and then to prove he controls their genitals as well as their minds, Gothard tells them they must also follow Old Testament rules regarding sex after childbirth.

NFP is considered a form of non-hormonal, non-barrier, natural birth control, yes. And there are lots of people out there who don't use BC or NFP and have sex when they do and if pregnancy results, it does.  Birth control usage is not specifically addressed in the general fundamentalist contingent, to my knowledge. These fridge sorts are the 'lots of people'.  It is, however, my hope for Jill and many of the Duggar kids that they silently practice NFP or a variety thereof (basically, abstaining during fertile periods), and naturally don't end up with as many 'blessings' as a result. Nobody would ever have to know!  My impression of Derick is that while he's fine with the Duggars in general, I don't really see him buying into as many kids as possible. The Duggar girls should all be aware of how the monthly cycle works from the god-awful calendar of Michelle's cycles.