Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

It was announced online, they made a video announcement with cupcakes several weeks ago. 

ok...wow I feel so behind.....but then also weird that I'm not keeping up to date with a family that I really have no connection to lol

• Love 2

Unlike Michelle her face lights up and she naturally reaches for the grandchildren.

I remember actually tearing up while watching Mr. and Mrs. Keller meet McKynzie for the first time; not only were they clearly overwhelmed to meet her, but they were equally overcome to see their daughter. I get that they're involved in the wackjobbery, too, but I've kind of liked them since that episode.  

• Love 1

There was one scene where Anna took the children grocery shopping and I was pretty sure the crew had handed Michael an egg so he would drop it. It was pretty unlikely he was going to be unable to reach the egg on his own, and the look on her face when she looked at the camera wasn't, shall we say, her most Christian one! :)

• Love 1

I am giggling at the idea of the Duggars attending a Unitarian church. I've belonged to one for many years, and somehow I don't see Josh and Anna making a lot of friends in that congregation! "Hi, I'm Arnold, this is my husband Ralph and our friend Lydia, formerly Larry..." "Hi, can I trouble you for a signature on our pro-choice petition? No?" No.

Yeah, the Unitarians have a big presence in the town where I live, and I find them very progressive (and I like that).  I also have some friends who are LGBTG and a few go to the Unitarian Church and have found a wonderful home there.  My husband and I are Reconciling Methodists, which is also a very accepting and progressive denomination.

• Love 3

Literata - Thanks for posting the video. Boy, the first thing I noticed was no squeeky voice for Michelle !    Also, boy has JD changed in five years(shallow of me, sorry). It looks like Anna was raised by loving parents, and when watching the video it was obvious they were happy to see her and Mack.

Here are the Kellers meeting McKynzie for the first time, at about the 6:20 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaxAemF2rUo

What nice people. Honestly. They seem to be very non-Duggar in that they encourage their kids to do well. I'll never forget JB and Michelle's stinkface reactions to the move to DC, and Anna's parents' graciousness and excitement. Of course, they seem to realize that kids shouldn't be under their parents' thumb and were probably more used to the idea considering Anna's lived apart from them for so long.

• Love 3

What a difference 5 years makes:

-Yeah, I noticed Michelle's normal sounding voice too.

-That kitchen sure got a major upgrade.

-JD, even back then, seemed goofy and backward.

-Anna's parents are sweet and genuinely interested in Mackenzie.

-Anna's looks have vastly improved. Her face no longer has that pitched look.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure Anna's had braces/implants which have shaped her face somewhat as well as her teeth.

Thought you meant breast implants and my eyes bugged out. I wonder what Gothard teaches about plastic surgery, lol.

Thought you meant breast implants and my eyes bugged out. I wonder what Gothard teaches about plastic surgery, lol.

It's probably OK on a girl's countenance, uh, face, but breast implants sound like nothing more than a scheme to lead young men into sin. Of course, there must be no debt, perhaps some way to get the government or a hospital to pick up the charge.

• Love 1
(edited)

Or be like Smuganna and pay for the braces rather than the taxes for Duggar Automotive (can't be the house, Grandma Paul McCartney owns that). Duggar Automotive was registered in Josh's name, although Boob still owned the actual property (remember when they had to appear at the city council for approval to rezone the Taco lot? Boob was there as the actual landowner. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

Maybe if a married woman's husband wanted her to get a boob job, then it's just following her headship.

Oh, I need to correct my post above w/r/t the taxes. The complaint is for INCOME taxes; I figured it was tied to the car lot; I guess it could still be income tied to Duggar Automotive. HOWEVER, Josh and Anna started being "thanked" as a separate entity at the end of some 19K&C shows starting in 2009, meaning that they likely got paid for those episodes. I guess TLC doesn't take taxes (maybe they get 1099s as independent contractors?), and Josh had to figure that out for himself? 

You'd think Boob would have told Smuggar about that; he certainly knows how to button up everything else to avoid paying taxes! 

I don't know what else it could be, unless there's a weird way to report income from the sold clunkers? The fact that it's a few thousand a year makes me think it's TLC earnings. If they earned $50k-$100k (high end for dedicated birth specials/episodes included) from TLC for each of those years, I could see the state wanting that much. 

• Love 1

Thanks for posting that video. I haven't always watched this show so the old episodes seem so different to me. Anna's parents were adorable with Mack.Anna reminded me of Pris actually. JD...what happened to him? ??

The biggest difference was MEchelle tho. She is 100% medicated now.

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe if a married woman's husband wanted her to get a boob job, then it's just following her headship.

Am I the only one who finds the term "headship" kind of hilarious, and possibly a little bit dirty?

:-)

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 4

Sorry to have so many posts, but someone on another board mentioned that reality show stars are indeed paid as independent contractors. I wonder if Smuganna have paid the IRS their share of taxes for the income they earned from the show between 2009-12 (do they owe for 2013? 2014 probably not filed yet)? So far, this is just the state. But man, it's reported that Boob earns ~2mil/yr for the show now (about $100k./episode, possibly less for the ones in which the Smugs family is also "thanked" at the end). 

Boob knows all about tax shelters; why didn't he pass along information about 1099s to Smuggar? I wonder if Josh is going to hire Derick as his accountant after this? :D I'm curious who does Boob's taxes? They're certainly quite complex.

(edited)

I almost didn't recognise Michelle's voice at all in the clip above. Someone started talking and I was all 'Hmm that sounds familiar, is it one of the girls? Grandma?' What in the world happened to make Michelle go from talking like a normal person to sounding like a chipmunk on drugs?

Anna looks really sickly in this episode. Drawn and pinched with a pallor that would make a vampire proud. I haven't watched enough early episodes to know if she always looked that way back then or if childbirth and subsequent weeks of night-feedings was the cause.

Edited by Vaysh

I think they owe the taxes on the TLC income.  They probably got paid as contractors, got a 1099 at year end, and never reported the income.  If so, with a little bit of algebra, we can guess at what their TLC salary was.

• Love 1

SewSumi - I don't get the "Grandma Paul McCartney" reference... kindly explain & thanks.

LOL, I just find there to be a striking resemblance between Grandma and Sir Paul these days. Something about the way their faces are settling. No harm is meant. 

• Love 3

LOL, I just find there to be a striking resemblance between Grandma and Sir Paul these days. Something about the way their faces are settling. No harm is meant. 

OK thanks! PS - I didn't think anything of it. Just didn't want to have missed a joke since it really cracked up another poster... 

(edited)

It's very possible that the kids know the appropriate relationship, but casually call them cousins.  Seems cool to me since they are so close in age.  There is no real brother/sister relationship of the very littles with the oldest kids.

Many people casually refer to other people as brothers and sisters and cousins, and seem to be serious, not in the super casual "hey bro".  It can drive me crazy after awhile.  In fact they don't appear in my friend group for long.  Same with all the step-brothers and half-brothers.  It gets nuts.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 1

No, Anna has her kids calling the Duggars  aunts and uncles. I saw the repeat of the Jill Says Yes to the Dress episode earlier today. Anna says that the kids can't wait for Jill and Jessa to have kids so the MKids can have [Duggar] cousins. Mack flat out asks Jill when she will have cousins? So, I think she can distinguish between Auntie Jill and Jill having a baby who would be a first cousin. At any rate, it's clear that Anna has explained this to her kids, although probably not in excruciating detail. I imagine that Mack understands the cousin concept from her Keller cousins; she has seen the Wallers a few times a year, and has met Suze's baby, Noelle. I don't think that the Duggar kids have met the Shraders, though, and that's nine first cousins right there.

• Love 2

Do you think the $100K per episode is as reliable as the often reported $75K per episode for the Gosselins?  That was only 3X what they actually were paid. 

TLC pays the Duggars $100K per episode? Good grief - things must really be looking up at TLC. I remember seeing $18K per episode for the Gosselins. Although who knows what can be believed in print or on the Internet these days.

That's why I was questioning it.  The internet had very large sums claimed for the Gosselins and it turned out to be around $24.5K per episode.  That's still quite a bit of money, but not near what was claimed.  I have doubts that TLC pays anyone $100K an episode.  They might do that for the weddings or birthing specials, but not regularly.  

• Love 2

I don't follow the Duggars on Instagram, but I lurk. I was looking at Smuggar's account this morning and he's posted some seriously cute pics of his kids, including one of Marcus dancing. That has to be good, right?

I keep hoping, in spite of Pregnancy No. 4, that the Smuggars have made friends in DC with Christians who are more mainstream, and who would actually frown on a desire to have 19 kids. It would be great if someone could get across to them that loving Jesus and having a reasonably sized family don't have to be mutually exclusive.

• Love 6
(edited)

That's why I was questioning it.  The internet had very large sums claimed for the Gosselins and it turned out to be around $24.5K per episode.  That's still quite a bit of money, but not near what was claimed.  I have doubts that TLC pays anyone $100K an episode.  They might do that for the weddings or birthing specials, but not regularly.  

Very True, but even if Jim netted 10k per episode - that's millions by now.

Edited by JoanArc

Oh, Jim Bob himself is a very wealthy man, and once you reach a certain point of wealth, you can invest money into accounts that make money virtually tax free if you are smart about capital gains and incorporation depreciation, etc.

But Josh and Anna wouldn't be near that position yet.

Jim Bob is extra wealthy because I believe he controls all of the TLC money. He may dole out some more to the married ones but I really believe TLC pays to an LLC and JimBob has complete control over that money. I don't see him signing up to equitable division of assets.

• Love 1

I don't know. I go back and forth on how I think Josh and Anna get TLC money. The thing is that I don't see that TLC is giving them any more money just because Josh and Anna are now a separate family and I don't think that TLC cares how the contract is structured as long as the money is the same to them. In other words, lets say before Josh and Anna were in DC and a whole separate entity TLC was giving the Duggar corporation (for lack of a better term) $25k per episode. The money goes into the Duggar pot, controlled by JB, for each episode regardless of who was featured in it. Lets say a season is contracted at 10 episodes (because that's easy to work with) and that's $250,000. Then say Josh and Anna have 2 episodes a season that are about them and the little Ms. TLC is not going to give them $25,000 an episode on top of the 250,000 contracted. They are going to take the $50k from JB. I really think he would do anything he could to prevent that from happening. Now there may be laws that tie JBs hands in cases like this. I hope so for Josh and Anna's sake. And I do think that if Josh and Anna have a special episode just about them that is above and beyond the contracted episodes they probably develop a separate contract for those and Josh and Anna have a decent chance of seeing all of that money. Maybe the same would be true for Jill and her 'having a baby' special. 

But in general I'm not sure Josh and Anna are separately paid. I see what you are saying about the credits. Maybe, hopefully, that means something. But I go back to the Sister Wives. They are all credited but they definitely have one pot and the wives do not control that either. 

• Love 2

Every time I watch the opening sequence, I hope that they redo it soon. I'm so sick of that clip where rugged, hardworking Josh is squeegeeing a car, and Anna looks at him dreamily through the window. The rest of it is fine, but that clip needs to go.

• Love 8

This is entirely speculation as well, but my guess would be that TLC has some sort of contracted amount for multiple families who appear on the same show as well. Say $25k is the standard amount for a show, then for one that just has the JB&M Duggars on it, JB would receive $25k and divide it among his family as he sees fit. Then for a show where J&A are in town and all of them visit the Bateses, each family receives $10k.

Even in a case where people are all actually good friends and things are well between them (who knows if that's the case here), things like dividing up money for a TV show appearance are just too dicey. I can't imagine that TLC would just give JB a check and let him divide it among non-dependent family members and friends. Surely the Bateses got paid for their own appearances on 19K&C, I would expect anyone else who's not a Duggar dependent would be the same.

(edited)

JessSvd wrote: "This is entirely speculation as well, but my guess would be that TLC has some sort of contracted amount for multiple families who appear on the same show as well. Say $25k is the standard amount for a show, then for one that just has the JB&M Duggars on it, JB would receive $25k and divide it among his family as he sees fit. Then for a show where J&A are in town and all of them visit the Bateses, each family receives $10k."

Even in a case where people are all actually good friends and things are well between them (who knows if that's the case here), things like dividing up money for a TV show appearance are just too dicey. I can't imagine that TLC would just give JB a check and let him divide it among non-dependent family members and friends. Surely the Bateses got paid for their own appearances on 19K&C, I would expect anyone else who's not a Duggar dependent would be the same."

Interesting and sad to think he sold his children's souls, childhood and future for 25 grand/episode?

Edited by jmt111
  • Love 2