Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Hot damn!  Someone from my neck of the woods won.  Congrats to Jon, and thanks for telling Alex the Frenchified pronunciation of your name is incorrect.  Hee!  I thought Melanie was going to implode.  The more Goofy Guesses she spewed out, the more desperate she became and really started abusing the buzzer.  It was almost frightening to watch.

I got philodendron and corn and lima beans.

I had absolutely no frickin' clue on FJ.  I've never really encountered those turtles in my life at all.  I still couldn't tell you if they are a Saturday morning cartoon or a comic book or what.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I still couldn't tell you if they are a Saturday morning cartoon or a comic book or what.

The answer is yes.

Every since the show ended I've had the damn theme song from the cartoon running through my head except I can never remember if Raphael is cool but rude, or cool but crude.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I had absolutely no frickin' clue on FJ.  I've never really encountered those turtles in my life at all.  I still couldn't tell you if they are a Saturday morning cartoon or a comic book or what.

I found you! Yay! (Background: when FJ popped up I said "is there a person on this planet who doesn't know the Turtles?!") :) Obviously you know your succotash, though, which I totally had no clue about. There is a lid for every pot with this show!

• Love 2

I didn't get FJ. I know the TMNT somewhat, but I was focusing on the faces in the mural, not really the masks. I didn't recognize the faces -- I at least should have recognized da Vinci. 

I got hammer (but not the other, which I didn't need), Climb Every Mountain, and the DD of philodendron. For the clue in the Phil category that was about a speech, I almost said PHIL-abuster. Also, I said Barry Gibbs instead of just Gibb. There are many celebrity names where I don't know whether to put an S on the end or not. 

I liked when Melanie called the mini-donuts in the bouquet the baby's breath of donuts.

• Love 1

The new champ seems cool, I wonder if he has back problems which caused him to lean over the podium. Loved when he corrected Alex on the pronunciation of his last name, although being from NOLA my first impulse is a French pronunciation also. But sans (heh) the accent. 

I hate when Alex wonders why contestants switch categories when the next clue is the DD. Newsflash Alex: they don't know where the DDs are. 

TS I got were San Juan Capistrano (actually I said San Juan & Dr. Toothbrush provided the Capistrano) and corn & lima beans. I got FJ as soon as I saw the video. 

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Both. And a movie. 

• Love 9

The more I think about it, the more amused I am that TMNT was a FJ clue in an adult Jeopardy! game.

The girl in the middle seemed to be of the age when Power Rangers were popular.  She should know there are five of them.

• Love 3

I had no clue on FJ even though I am a child of the 80s. Comic books just weren't my jam, and I never saw the movie. Or is it movies? No idea.

After Jeopardy,  I watched Amazing Race, and the contestants had to play a video game I didn't understand.  Let's just say I felt old and unhip after my TV viewing last night! 

• Love 3
(edited)
22 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Both. And a movie. 

13 hours ago, teebax said:

I had no clue on FJ even though I am a child of the 80s. Comic books just weren't my jam, and I never saw the movie. Or is it movies? No idea.

In fact, several progressively worse movies.  And then a recent reboot of the movie franchise -- which also produced progressively worse movies.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

I never watched any of the TMNJ movies, or read any of the comics. And so far as I recall, neither did my kids. But It was nearly an instaget, because the one thing I remembered about them were their names, which always amused me. So while I didn't recognize the people, and didn't notice the masks (love them) until later, I got it pretty quickly. I am a font of useless knowledge (get this sort of stuff way more frequently than the important subjects).

• Love 3
5 hours ago, mojoween said:

The more I think about it, the more amused I am that TMNT was a FJ clue in an adult Jeopardy! game.

The girl in the middle seemed to be of the age when Power Rangers were popular.  She should know there are five of them.

She posted on another board that with how small the picture is in the studio, she at first thought the unbearded face was a woman, so she was thinking about shows that would have a woman too. 

• Love 2

Frankly, at home I thought the unbearded one was a woman at first too, so I understand where she is coming from. I had to look at the masks, which I knew had to be the "important" part--and the boys came to mind immediately. 

• Love 2

I really wanted to dislike Sam, with the starting in the middles of categories (and I am glad he didn't win, for that reason), but I just couldn't because he reminded me so much of Jackie Gleason.

Jon's Johnny Cash imitation was even worse than anything Alex has come up with.

I was clueless for FJ, but did get Celebrity Apprentice and Swan Lake.

• Love 5
11 hours ago, teebax said:

After Jeopardy,  I watched Amazing Race, and the contestants had to play a video game I didn't understand.  Let's just say I felt old and unhip after my TV viewing last night! 

I also watched the Amazing Race and was totally clueless about those video games. I wouldn't be able to do those in a million years. 

• Love 4

Congrats to Jon again.  Sam, if Alex says an answer's incorrect, you saying the same again isn't going to magically make it correct for you.  Poor Liz made me nervous.  It sounded like her false teeth were going to fly out of her mouth at any moment.  Her Alan Alda story was cool.

I got Donna Karan, Celebrity Apprentice, Caligula, and Aaron Copeland.

For FJ I immediately, and ever so smugly and confidently, said Cicero.  I was monumentally wrong.  Oh, well...

Regarding my other monumental FJ failure - the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - I posted something in Small Talk y'all might find amusing.

• Love 5

Sam reminded me of Ralph Kramden. I would say Jackie Gleason,  but all I could think of was Art Carney calling our "Ralphie Boy!"

For the first time ever, I ran an opera and ballet category. I also got Aaron Copeland and Donna Karan.

• Love 3

I got Celebrity Apprentice, Caligula, and Aaron Copeland. (And I knew that Agnes de Mille choreographed Rodeo! :))

I couldn't remember the answer to FJ. I was thinking it began with D, but at least it had a D in the name, Herodotus. I thought the author they were asking for was mentioned in I Claudius. Claudius talked about reading his histories. Was it Herodotus or someone else?

• Love 1

Between his $5.00 DD wager, and awesome knowledge of Back to the Future, Jon is really growing on me. He seems like a nice, good natured guy, and yes his Johnny Cash imitation stunk, but that was a pretty cool story. I liked Liz's story too.

TS I got were Donna Karan, Sarah Vaughn, Celebrity Apprentice, Swan Lake (missed $5 DD), & Aaron Copland. Like Jon, I guessed Homer for FJ.

5 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I really wanted to dislike Sam, with the starting in the middles of categories (and I am glad he didn't win, for that reason), but I just couldn't because he reminded me so much of Jackie Gleason.

I liked Sam because of his alliterative name, but now that you mention it he did look like Jackie Gleason. 

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Sam, if Alex says an answer's incorrect, you saying the same again isn't going to magically make it correct for you.  

Thank you! That was driving me crazy. I guess he thought Jon mispronounced Apprentice, and he could make a case that Liz did not phrase her answer of damnation of the gods as a question, but damn. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I'm just so damn excited that I guessed FJ correctly after the category came up but before the clue was revealed.  It's been ages since I was able to do that. LOL!

I wished Liz was faster on picking clues in the first round; they could have cleared the board and I really wanted to see all the TV clues.

Edited by Lizzing
Spelling
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, Lizzing said:

I'm just so damn excited that I guessed FJ correctly after the category came up but before the clue was revealed.  It's been ages since I was able to do that. LOL!

I absolutely get excited when I do that! 

• Love 1

I saw a bit of Jackie Gleason in Sam, too. When they first introduced the contestants, I said to the cats, "Doesn't he have the most pleasant smile?"

Seems like a bunch of us got Copland. Hooray for us! I totally blew FJ.

• Love 4

I liked Liz' story, too, but I love Alan Alda despite how sanctimonious Hawkeye got in the later seasons of MASH. It's always nice to hear that celebrities you like because of their creative abilities are nice people in real life.

• Love 4

I rooted for Sam after he told his Johnny Cash story. Yes, his impersonation was bad, but it's not like he's a professional entertainer.

Jon is impressive, but I keep wondering why he's introduced as a "former attorney." Was he disbarred or did he just walk away? He doesn't seem old enough to be retired.

I didn't know Donna Karan, but I did know Caligula, Sarah Vaughn, Swan Lake, Twilight of the Gods, and Aaron Copland. And, as someone who teaches Latin and Classical Greek, it would have been a disgrace for me to miss FJ. 

• Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, Roaster said:

Yes, Herodotus.  Surprised Jon missed it.  Liz missed it too, but she said Thucydides, which was an OK guess (at least he was a historian).

And at least Thucydides is Greek!  Virgil is both Roman and not a historian!

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I rooted for Sam after he told his Johnny Cash story. Yes, his impersonation was bad, but it's not like he's a professional entertainer.

Jon is impressive, but I keep wondering why he's introduced as a "former attorney." Was he disbarred or did he just walk away? He doesn't seem old enough to be retired.

Jon had the Johnny Cash story, complete with bad impersonation. Sam's was about throwing himself a surprise birthday party in the guise of a backyard BBQ for a milestone birthday. That actually made me sad for him, but he said a guest realized it was his special day and brought a cake so I felt better.

I keep wondering why Jon is a former attorney, too & want Alex to ask.  

• Love 1
9 hours ago, rubaco said:

Oh damn, I missed the interviews. Could somebody give a quick recap for this ginormous M*A*S*H fan, please? 

I think she said he spoke at her school to promote science education, and took plenty of time to talk individually with the kids.

Toothbrush, thank you for the correction on who told the Johnny Cash story. I remember thinking how sweet it was of Sam to feed everyone else on his birthday,  instead of expecting to be treated to dinner.

• Love 3

I had to bingewatch 3 games to catch up - I hate when work interrupts my Jeopardy! schedule!

I really like Jon and hope he sticks around, though the Cash impression was cringeworthy. For TS I got Donna Karan, Sarah Vaughan and Caligula. I had no clue on FJ and badly guessed Homer.

• Love 2

"A happy place, or a numerical paradise above the Earth"

OK, they accepted "seventh heaven" but would they accepted "cloud nine" ? It's a numerical paradise above the earth.  I've always wondered why there are only 7 heavens, but 9 clouds.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I really like Jon and hope he sticks around, though the Cash impression was cringeworthy.

Not all of us blessed with impersonation chops - the impression might be better when he's more relaxed and not being televised.

On 5/27/2017 at 3:37 AM, Browncoat said:

I liked Liz' story, too, but I love Alan Alda despite how sanctimonious Hawkeye got in the later seasons of MASH. It's always nice to hear that celebrities you like because of their creative abilities are nice people in real life.

I used to call him St. Hawkeye, and at the time I thought it kind of ruined his character. But I recently tried to watch it again, and I found I couldn't get past the sexism I used to find amusing. Some things don't age well. Still love Alda though.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"A happy place, or a numerical paradise above the Earth"

OK, they accepted "seventh heaven" but would they accepted "cloud nine" ? It's a numerical paradise above the earth.  I've always wondered why there are only 7 heavens, but 9 clouds.

I got seventh heaven but also thought of cloud nine;  I'm not really sure it would fit the clue.

• Love 1
(edited)

Heads up to Chicago Jeopardy watchers! Another Cubs baseball game will preempt Jeopardy tomorrow (Monday). It will air instead at (about) 1:05 am Tuesday.

Edited by illdoc
because 1:05 am Tues morning is redundant
  • Love 2

Baseball in Chicago, so had to check the jeopardy fan site for today's FJ. Aren't Wilde & Swift both Irish (I'm fairly certain Swift is)?? Wasn't the category British authors? Doesn't that usually mean "England" and not "Great Britian"?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Baseball in Chicago, so had to check the jeopardy fan site for today's FJ. Aren't Wilde & Swift both Irish (I'm fairly certain Swift is)?? Wasn't the category British authors? Doesn't that usually mean "England" and not "Great Britian"?

I haven't seen it yet, but to me "British" = from Great Britain and "English" = from England. Often people will specify Scottish or Welsh or English, but 'British' is a broader phrase that is not synonymous with 'English'.

Ireland is not a part of Great Britain, so I don't think Irish people would be considered British.

For no reason that I can discern, I wildly guessed Lewis Carroll for FJ.  Definitely not an instaget, and I was certain that I was incorrect with that stab in the dark.

I was terribly sad that no one knew that William Frawley was Fred Mertz.  That was the only TS I remember getting -- were there others? 

• Love 7

Wikipedia lists Swift as "Anglo-Irish." I thought it ironic that he was born in Dublin, considering one of his most famous essays, "A Modest Proposal," suggests using surplus Irish infants for food! I was torn between Lewis Carroll and Edward Lear for FJ. The mention of mathematics should have tipped me off that it was Carroll, but I don't associate him with limericks. 

No one got Fred Mertz! (sob)

• Love 3

I thought Lewis Carroll was easy - surprised by the wrong guesses.  Swift was wrong century and not a math guy.  Wilde was a humorist, I suppose, but I'd be surprised if he wrote limericks.  Math and logic = Lewis Carroll.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

For no reason that I can discern, I wildly guessed Lewis Carroll for FJ.  Definitely not an instaget, and I was certain that I was incorrect with that stab in the dark.

I was terribly sad that no one knew that William Frawley was Fred Mertz.  That was the only TS I remember getting -- were there others? 

I had no clue on FJ but was spoiled on the answer since I had to watch my recording of today's Jeopardy and accidentally read here what the answer was. 

William Frawley as a TS blew my mind! I Love Lucy is my jam! 

• Love 5

What an impressive game and win for Jon.  Congrats!  I don't know what it was about Megan but I couldn't stand her.  

I got Fred Mertz and John Steinbeck.

For FJ my convoluted brain went like this:  Logic and proportion = white rabbit = Lewis Carroll.  Thank you Jefferson Airplane.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

What an impressive game and win for Jon.  Congrats!  I don't know what it was about Megan but I couldn't stand her.  

I got Fred Mertz and John Steinbeck.

For FJ my convoluted brain went like this:  Logic and proportion = white rabbit = Lewis Carroll.  Thank you Jefferson Airplane.

Megan did look pretty sour once she knew she couldn't overtake Jon...she did clap for him at the end of the double jeopardy round, though.  It was a good game...so happy for Jon!!

• Love 4

Jon is killing it! I don't love runaways but he's impressive to watch.

That's the only one I got too. 

Same here. What turned me off was for her first pick she went for the middle of the category and didn't get it (Fred Mertz(sp?)). 

• Love 3
(edited)

Yes I was surprised Fred Mertz turned out to be a TS. I thought everyone watched I Love Lucy. Where have these people been!

Edited by Miss Chevious
Too much beer at the cookout. Can't type tonight.
  • Love 9

Jon's doing great! Megan was really giving him a run for his money during the first round, but then faded out. 

How was Fred Mertz a TS??? 

I guessed Wilde for FJ also, but knew it was incorrect due to the math & logic aspect, which he was not known for. The fact that he was Irish and not British didn't even occur to me.  

• Love 3

I knew "Fred" but had no clue what his last name would be. It's been a long time since I've watched I Love Lucy - I should change that.

i got to Lewis Carroll through Jabberwocky and humor. I know I've heard he was a mathematician before, but it was so far in the recesses in my brain that I didn't trust that I wasn't making it up.  

• Love 3