Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

I didn't realize Baryshnikov was that age in 1967 and also guessed Nureyev.

Ditto.  I knew it was one of those two, but picked the wrong one.

I said pony express instead of postal service, and since Alex said it too, I think it would have been ruled correct.  I also got the Gila River and Pigeon Forge.  It probably doesn't hurt that Pigeon Forge is only about a three-hour drive from where I live. 

However, I had a complete brain fart for FJ and couldn't come up with anything.

• Love 3

I got Pony Express and Peckinpah and Baryshnikov.  Mikhail was the only name who came to me. 

FJ was not even in reach for me.

I really wanted to like Meghan but she kept saying the whole category and "hundret" and also had some wacky guesses.

• Love 3

had no idea on FJ tonight

Melissa McCarthy from last night......ughh, not a big fan of hers, never would have thought of her. 

Sam Wal and Borshoi?  ANd he won the game?  Pretty weak. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 5

Sorry to see Nilanka go.  David annoys me for some reason.  Maybe I don't want to hear about contestants wandering around naked in hotels.  I'm glad I'm not the only nitpicker who couldn't stand the way Meghan pronounced hundred oddly.

I got pony express, Kangaroo Island, Pigeon Forge, Baryshnikov, and Rodeo.

The category name for FJ was misleading.  Instead of 19th Century Europe why wasn't it 19th Century European Literature?  I would think that might affect how the contestants wagered.  Nevertheless, I was clueless.

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The category name for FJ was misleading.  Instead of 19th Century Europe why wasn't it 19th Century European Literature?  I would think that might affect how the contestants wagered.  Nevertheless, I was clueless.

I think "literature" would mislead a lot of people toward fiction. This was an open letter to the president concerning real events.

• Love 5

I said Pony Express -- Was that right or wrong? Alex confused me.

I guessed Snake River, but when that was ruled wrong, I immediately guessed Gila. Second guesses don't count. 

I got Pigeon Forge and Sam Peckinpah. In the Ballet category, I first said Baryshnikov, then thought it must be Nureyev, so I didn't get that right either.

I misunderstood what FJ was asking for, so I guessed Emile Zola. I'm not sure I would have come up J'Accuse.

• Love 1

I liked David's thrilled/surprised reaction to winning, but his story is the stuff of nightmares. So much so that I would have the part of my brain that held that memory removed, therefore it could never be my Jeopardy contestant story. 

When the Schwarzenegger category was announced Dr. Toothbrush said, "Alex is going to attempt the accent, isn't he"? 

American "Her"story...sigh

TS I got were pony express (maybe), Kangaroo Island (total guess), Pigeon Forge, the DD of Baryshnikov, & FJ J'Accuse. FJ took a bit, so not sure I would have had time to write it, but knew it was regarding the Dreyfus Affair & written by Emile Zola right away. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I knew FJ! pertained to Zola and Dreyfus but didn't come up with  j'accuse

I knew exactly what they wanted, I even said "Emile Zola...Dreyfus Affair...J'Accuse...but what the hell was the name of what he wrote?"

What a maroon!

• Love 10

Maybe I don't want to hear about contestants wandering around naked in hotels.

Hah! That's what Mr. Author said.

LOL "what a maroon." I haven't heard that expression in ages. Thanks, Moose135. Now I'm gonna use it when I talk about politicians (I say fuckwit when I'm really pissed off).

• Love 4

The guy had already given half of Sam Walton's name a few clues before, I'm not sure why Alex dragged out his mis-speak on Bolshoi.  I thought it was kind of mean.

Especually since at the beginning of the game Alex himself stumbled and said "Nitlanta" instead of Nilanka.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

LOL "what a maroon." I haven't heard that expression in ages. Thanks, Moose135. Now I'm gonna use it when I talk about politicians (I say fuckwit when I'm really pissed off).

I always give Likes when someone uses that expression. 

• Love 3
48 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I liked Meghan, but wondered if she knew that top made it look like she wasn't wearing much.

I didn't notice that, but maybe that is why Dr. Toothbrush mentioned how cute she was almost every time she was on camera. I liked her look, though, and wish my hair were straight enough to wear it like hers.  

• Love 1

I got Rodeo, Barishnikov, and J'Accuse, amongst others, but I completely blanked on the animal geography category. I think Nureyev had already defected by the year mentioned in the clue, and Agnes DeMille = Rodeo for me. The year of FJ plus France pointed me immediately to J'Accuse.

Oh, and I went with Pony Express, too.

Edited by Sharpie66
  • Love 1
On 4/23/2017 at 1:36 PM, halfpint ingals said:

I cannot remember what David said in his interview now .  What was it he said ? 

I frequently mute the interviews (sorry), so I can't help except to post this.

Edited by dcalley
un-embedded tweet because it was making the page load funny
  • Love 2
On ‎04‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:54 PM, YoureSoUrban said:

I didn't realize Baryshnikov was that age in 1967 and also guessed Nureyev.

I did the same thing, and I adore Baryshnikov so I should've known better.  Plus, I actually knew (or used to) that Nureyev had already defected to the West by 1967.  Oy vey!

On ‎04‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Sharpie66 said:

Agnes DeMille = Rodeo for me

Indeed.

• Love 1

The new champ is impressive, but Eisenhower? Really? Not that it mattered regarding winning or losing, but that's the best you could pull out of your butt? A five star general who led the Allied forces didn't finish college?

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 3

I did pull out Big Star from the back of my mind and I think I would have got it in time.

Alan accrued a big lead, but there were some surprising TSs (no answers) late in the game.  FJ was easy, I thought.

• Love 4

If ever I go on Jeopardy, I will need to brush up on my Presidential history.  I had no clue for FJ.

I did get paper clip and coffee, though.

Alan lost me when he didn't pick from the top.  Then I noticed that he couldn't stand still.  I really wanted middle woman to win.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

If ever I go on Jeopardy, I will need to brush up on my Presidential history.  I had no clue for FJ.

The "graduated" part really restricted your choice of answers to Truman, LBJ, and Ford, but when you combine that with high school graduation in 1901 it could have only been Truman.  So you had a 1 in 3 shot to guess it right.  Eisenhower was a terrible guess, as AT indicated Ike graduated from West Point.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The "graduated" part really restricted your choice of answers to Truman, LBJ, and Ford, but when you combine that with high school graduation in 1901 it could have only been Truman.  So you had a 1 in 3 shot to guess it right.  Eisenhower was a terrible guess, as AT indicated Ike graduated from West Point.

I didn't pick up on that use of the term 'graduated'. Instead, I focused on the year. I know JFK was the first president born in the 20th century, so before him was Eisenhower, who was pretty old, so at first I said him. Then I thought maybe he wasn't quite old enough to graduate high school in 1901, so I went back a president to Truman. I'm not sure I would have had time to switch my answer to Truman, though, and I wouldn't have been any more confident in Truman than Eisenhower. Then again, I'm not American and what might be 'common knowledge' to Americans isn't necessarily for me. I also didn't realize that a university degree is necessary to be a General.

• Love 2

Alan's going to drive me insane!  He wiggles like a toddler.  I was rooting for Emma.

The only TS's I got were Brian Jones (I guess it was before their time) and coffee.

I took a guess on FJ and came up with Truman based on his age and that all the others of that era were obviously college graduates.  Eisenhower!  Yikes!  Here's a clue, Alan, commissioned officers have to have a college degree.  

• Love 3

I knew it was Truman.

But how could you not just write SOMETHING down though?  Name a pre-Kennedy 20th century US president, take a shot.  Heck the years had it narrowed down to like 5 or so, just general knowledge you know its post Woodrow Wilson and pre-Kennedy.  pick one. 

And yes likely Eisenhower is not it, was a general.  You have FDR, hoover, Truman, Coolidge, Harding. The graduation years makes Harding unlikely.  FDR you would assume went to college.  You are down to 3. 

But pick someone. 

• Love 2

I think the woman was starting to write "Hoover"- at least it looked like if to me. Maybe because that was what I said although I was sure it wasn't right. I knew it want FDR or Eisenhower. I passed right over Truman. Doh. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I did get paper clip and coffee, though.

I think that's all the TSs I got, though I missed the beginning of the show and part of the middle. I also got FJ. I was going by what age the President would have been. I nearly said Ike, but then I figured he would have gone to college.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I had no freaking clue.  I said Herbert Hoover, although I didn't think the year was right.  Although I did realize that it wouldn't have been Eisenhower due to him being a general, which meant he had to have attended West Point.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

The only TS's I got were Brian Jones

I would've known Brian Jones anyway, but I recently saw a woman on the British Antiques Roadshow who, as a teenager, managed to talk her way into a bar where the Rolling Stones were hanging out after a show, and she and her friend had their pictures taken with Keith Richards and Brian Jones.  Quel coincidence!

• Love 1