Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I don't think they would have accepted "pony & dog show" (and they shouldn't have), since it's "Familiar Phrases" and the phrase is definitely "dog & pony show". In fact, in an episode of Law & Order, they brought in an US Atty to threaten someone with (threatened to turn the case over to the Feds who have the death penalty) and when the lawyers left the room, the US Atty said "Am I the dog or the pony?" It's always "dog & pony". I think why people said "Horse & Pony" is because the clue started with "Equine" (which leads you to horse) and then they remembered "and pony show" & forgot (?) to change the "Horse" to dog.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Ok I will give you popcorn.  Kettle corn is so yummy.

I don't think I have ever heard someone answer a DD so quickly and be so absolutely wrong.  I kinda felt badly for the guy, but not really.

Kettle corn is an abomination! Popcorn should be served with garlic and parmesan seasoning or butter and salt. Nothing sweet should be in there. 

I love corn on the cob. I love frozen corn. Canned corn is disgusting. Whoever came up with creamed corn should be shot, although they're probably already dead.

As for the game, I'm so tired of the board-hopping. It's clearly not going away, but so many contestants who do that have no success. It bothers me less when a contestant is strong and answering the clues. When they select a $1,000 clue in the first round and just stare at the board with an agape mouth, I want to strangle them. Why are you trying to find a DD when it's the beginning and you have no money? If the point is to keep opponents from getting them, then you're playing not to lose instead of playing to win.

• Love 8

Canned corn is gross. I've wanted to try corn ice cream at a Michoacán ice cream shop, but I somehow never make it to the shop when I visit my parents. I also like my corn bread on the sweeter side. Sacrilege? 

• Love 2

I cant believe the new champ didnt get the dailtly double in the lighthouse catergory. Cape Hatteras is one of my favorite places. I was yelling the answer then I had texts from family who also shared their disbelief.

• Love 3

Two of them missed FJ?! I was excited when I saw the category but was hoping it would be a question I had to at least think about for more than a second but that was easy. 

• Love 5

I was yelling Hatteras! too.  I thought that lighthouse was one of the more well-known ones, at least partly because it had to be moved away from the sea a few years back.

I also got litmus (the other missed DD), and I did have to think for a second, but got FJ.  I've never read the book, but I did like the movie, and can still picture Helena Bonham Carter gazing out the window.

I could have done without the smurfs dancing around the bottom of the screen at the end, though.

• Love 4
(edited)
16 minutes ago, shoregirl said:

I cant believe the new champ didnt get the dailtly double in the lighthouse catergory. Cape Hatteras is one of my favorite places. I was yelling the answer then I had texts from family who also shared their disbelief.

I was just coming to say the same thing!  I was also yelling at the TV.  I need to get a better TV set, I think, because this one doesn't help Jeopardy! contestants.

I like the champ.  Jane, was her name?  I like that she wore a violently bright shirt, I like how pleasant she was, I like that she didn't say "uh," and then pause when choosing a category after Alex said there was a minute left.

I also like that she won by getting FJ correct.  (I had no clue) You go, lady who I am almost sure I remember your name.

I stood there like the middle guy wondering what the DD was because litmus just fell right out of my brain.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I got the missed DD of Garment and Garnet. I got the TS of straight man. I loved Margaret Dumont. You're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, and that's not saying much for you!

I also got Cape Hatteras but I don't know where that came from because I don't really know anything about it ,I just yelled it out. 

• Love 3

Congrats to Pat.  

That Billboard category was painful.  David kept going there and they all stood with gaping mouths until Pat finally answered the $2,000 clue (which should have been the $400 clue).

I got garnet/garment (missed DD), Admiral Byrd (I burst out laughing at the goofy guess of Nanuck), and Cape Hatteras.

FJ - "I know this.  Oh, crap, what is that book?  (hitting self on the side of my head)  Come on!  Come on!  Ah, A Room With a View!"  Whew!  I think I got a hernia pulling that one out of my brain.

• Love 6

Haven't posted in forever, but I must tell you how excited I am. Pat, the champ from tonight, is a dear friend of mine, and we have been waiting since DECEMBER to see how she did! And give her half a break about Cape Hatteras, we are in way landlocked Wyoming, thousands of miles from any kind of lighthouse. What has been fascinating, have been her posts about the behind the scenes workings of the show. Pat and I have done community theater together for nearly 20 years, and she has been working so hard to get on the show. I couldn't be prouder. And here is an interesting bit of information...between the shooting of this episode, and Monday's, it was over a month, at which time her husband had a lung transplant. They are fantastic people.

• Love 20

Really?  Her name is Pat?  It's not Jane?

Well tell her that I'm sorry I don't remember her name but I love her.

I can remember something my mother said to me thirty years ago but I can't remember the names of Jeopardy! contestants the minute the show is over.

Also, I didn't hear it, where in New York was the middle guy from?

• Love 3
(edited)

Nope, it's Pat! ( we share the same first name)..But our mutual friend Jane would be happy to hear you thought it was her, lol.

Edited by Dishin
  • Love 1

Please tell Pat that I was cheering her along every step of the way, Dishin.  (Don't tell her that I can be the kiss of death, though.)  I thought she was delightful, and I yelled, "Good for you, girl!" when she got FJ right.

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Please tell Pat that I was cheering her along every step of the way, Dishin.  (Don't tell her that I can be the kiss of death, though.)  I thought she was delightful, and I yelled, "Good for you, girl!" when she got FJ right.

Yup--she's a keeper!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

...I did have to think for a second, but got FJ.  I've never read the book, but I did like the movie, and can still picture Helena Bonham Carter gazing out the window.

The first thing that came to mind was Room With a View, but then I thought, No, it's that movie with Helena Bonham Carter. Duh!

Instead of Admiral Byrd, I said Perry. I always get them mixed up. I got garment/garnet and David (Cross). I felt bad for David for missing that. I was straining my brain to remember McCormick (reaper), but I failed.

Nanook as an African-American explorer made my jaw drop. Also, hullabaloo? Yikes.

• Love 5

I thought she was delightful, and I yelled, "Good for you, girl!" when she got FJ right.

As did I. Also yelled Yaaaaay!

My b-day is in January so garnet-garment was easy :-)

As for FJ, I kept saying that EM Forster book, damn, what's the title? Mr. Author gave me a blank look, finally said, "Something with a view?" and then I had it, just in time. Whew.

• Love 4

Here is her response to an interview question about her experience. Enjoy!

“I credit the win to the fact that a lot of the Final Jeopardy questions are answerable with an educated guess, which is what mine was.  I was behind going into Final Jeopardy … I had $7,000-some and the leader has $12,000-some.  That’s because I totally blew a Daily Double.  I picked it when it was the last question left on the board. It was in a category that I knew very little about – Lighthouses – and I was 2,000 behind the leader.  I really wanted a lead going into finals, so I bet $3,000 — and then had no clue what the answer was (though I will remember forevermore that the lighthouse off North Carolina is Cape Hatteras).

The Final Jeopardy category was British Novels. I have a decent background there, but the leader (who was the returning champion) was currently a PhD student in English Lit.   That meant he was on top of this stuff, while my degree is from 37 years ago.  But all I could do was bet heavily and hope.   The answer was “THE TITLE OF THIS 1908 NOVEL IS AN ALLUSION TO THE HOTEL IN FLORENCE WHERE THE NOVEL STARTS & ENDS THE NEXT YEAR.”   I didn’t know the answer – so I started rummaging through my brain for titles that might be something to do with a hotel room.  I thought of one that might fit (though I’d never read the book), and I knew it was about the right time period, so I went with that. ‘What is A Room with a View?’  — and I guessed right.  Luck was with me and neither of the other guys got it.”

Read More: Casper Woman Is New Jeopardy! Champion | http://kisscasper.com/casper-woman-is-new-jeopardy-champion/?trackback=tsmclip

• Love 12
11 hours ago, Dishin said:

And give her half a break about Cape Hatteras, we are in way landlocked Wyoming, thousands of miles from any kind of lighthouse.

One thing I learn on this board is how obvious some of the answers are, because I know almost NOTHING about lighthouses, period. I didn't know a single answer in that category (nor the Explorers Club category, which I already hated because video clues = suck). So I don't fault her at all. Lighthouses are a very niche thing to know a lot about, IMO, and being born and raised far from oceans makes a difference. It'd be like expecting everybody in America to know lots of French bridge names.

• Love 7

I live in central New York so not land-locked, but I don't know much about lighthouses.  The only reason I knew Hatteras is because the clue had the word "Cape" in it, and that was a name of a lighthouse I have heard somewhere in my life.  Before yesterday, I had no idea Cape Hatteras was in North Carolina.

I would agree, like Pat said in her interview up above, a lot of Jeopardy! is guessing.  

• Love 6

I immediately thought A Room with a View because of Florence and the movie, then I thought 1908 was too early for the book. But I stuck with it because I couldn't think of another book that fit. Now I think I want to go to Florence again.

• Love 2

I also guessed Room with a View from remembering the movie took place in Florence and that she was looking out the window. I was not sure when the book was written. I think they were wearing clothing from around that time? I cannot believe Pat guessed that though based on thinking about hotel rooms! I started to doubt myself because I though maybe they wanted a name of a hotel.

• Love 2

For those of us who watch hurricane predictions on TV, Cape Hatteras is the part of the coast between New York and Florida that sticks out farthest into the ocean, so meteorologists often point to it on the map.

• Love 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, shoregirl said:

I knew it started with an H but could not think of the name. 

21 hours ago, Dishin said:

Haven't posted in forever, but I must tell you how excited I am. Pat, the champ from tonight, is a dear friend of mine, and we have been waiting since DECEMBER to see how she did! And give her half a break about Cape Hatteras, we are in way landlocked Wyoming, thousands of miles from any kind of lighthouse. What has been fascinating, have been her posts about the behind the scenes workings of the show. Pat and I have done community theater together for nearly 20 years, and she has been working so hard to get on the show. I couldn't be prouder. And here is an interesting bit of information...between the shooting of this episode, and Monday's, it was over a month, at which time her husband had a lung transplant. They are fantastic people.

Very cool! I really like her. How is her husband doing? 

19 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Nanook as an African-American explorer made my jaw drop. 

IKR? 

8 hours ago, operalover said:

I started to doubt myself because I though maybe they wanted a name of a hotel.

I thought the same thing. Then the word "allude" in the clue registered, and I got it. I think I would have had time to write it down.

I really like Pat. She is pleasant, knowledgeable, and chooses clues quickly. I have to say I expected a more distinct voice for a voice over artist. 

I hesitated for a second over "her & Mindy", & laughed when Alex realized his mistake. I'm glad the contestants didn't seem to over think it like I did. I'm also glad that Chyna, as in Rob &, was a TS, & it was a TS that I did not get. So over that fame heaux family. 

TS I did get were clown, straight man/woman, lithmus (missed DD), garnet/garment (other missed DD; like Mystery Author, I was born in January), Byrd, and the 3 TS in the country album category - Shania Twain, No Problems, & Lady Antebellum. I hate country music, but the clues referred to pretty mainstream artists so I was able to run the category. 

Second game in a row where all of the clues were uncovered!!

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 2
(edited)

Her husband, Ron , is doing very well. They had to go to Colorado for his surgery and recovery, so we couldn't have a viewing party as planned, but we've all been celebrating like crazy on Facebook. And, we get to do it again on monday! I actually haven't seen the show, as I am traveling, and my hotel doesn't carry a channel that has it, boo. But, I'm dvr'ing it so I can watch when I get home on Wednesday. As for her voice work, she does primarily radio spots, and has a friendly neighbor next door delivery. 

She and her husband write "theater of the mind" scripts, science fiction, which we perform every fall at the planetarium. It's great fun..radio like scripts with live sound effects..the actors are behind the planetarium dome and show up as ghostly images behind the cool planetarium visuals. It's a blast. The show she wrote was entitled "Thank Flebster it's Grunyak". I hope she talks about it on Monday. (Or was it Thank Grunyak it's Flebster?!?)

Edited by Dishin
  • Love 3
(edited)

Finally got to Friday's show.

Uggh -- Rob and Chyna -- please don't let the Kardashians continue to contaminate our fine Jeopardy program.  
Please clue writers, stop using these soulless reality clowns for clues.

So glad David got the minor non-judgement pause from AT after he answered "Who is Sancho ?", that prompted "Panza".

What ?   No BMS for "What is Heyerdahl ?" -- I kid, I kid (or is that kit ?)

But why did "What is Jordan ?" not get a BMS.  And no BMS for "What is Bernstein ?"  for that Watergate clue (if you didn't know it was Carl, you don't deserve to be judged correct).

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Finally got to Friday's show.

Uggh -- Rob and Chyna -- please don't let the Kardashians continue to contaminate our fine Jeopardy program.  
Please clue writers, stop using these soulless reality clowns for clues.

My only consolation is that it was a TS. 

• Love 7
7 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

But why did "What is Jordan ?" not get a BMS.  And no BMS for "What is Bernstein ?"  for that Watergate clue (if you didn't know it was Carl, you don't deserve to be judged correct).

Both of those seem like it would be odd for them to fir a BMS I don't think anyone thought it was Michael and Leonard.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/7/2017 at 8:45 PM, Mystery Author said:

My b-day is in January so garnet-garment was easy :-)

I got it because the mister and one kid have January b-days. The mister didn't get it - because he doesn't pay attention to birthstones.

On 4/7/2017 at 7:38 PM, peeayebee said:

Instead of Admiral Byrd, I said Perry. I always get them mixed up. I got garment/garnet and David (Cross). I felt bad for David for missing that. I was straining my brain to remember McCormick (reaper), but I failed.

Nanook as an African-American explorer made my jaw drop. Also, hullabaloo? Yikes.

I always say Perry when it has anything to do with arctic/antarctic exploration - so I'm wrong most of the time (and woefully ignorant).

Nanook was pretty astonishing. If they hadn't specifically said African American, it might not have been.

17 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Now I'm pretty pleased with myself that I went "who?" at the answer. I really had no clue (and was mildly disappointed, I would have run the category if I'd known). I do vaguely know who some of the Kardashians are, but only because they're plastered over all the magazines at the checkout counter.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
On 4/9/2017 at 8:13 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I'll keep an open mind, but somehow I think corn blasted at 550 degrees for forty minutes (!) wouldn't be my recipe for the Big O.

I used to devour those Nero Wolfes like buttered popcorn--I've read maybe fifty-plus of them--but I wonder if I'd feel the same about them now.  Nero did have his issues with women, didn't he?  "American women should themselves be boiled in water.Ah, well, it was a simpler time!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

So glad that frantic board hopper Greg never found any of the DD's!

Unfortunately, he won anyway.  Boo, hiss.

FJ was an instaget for me.  I have no idea who Thomas Hobbes is.

• Love 5

Yeah, the board hopping seemed particularly bad tonight. 

Not one of my better games; the only miss I got was the missed DD of centrifuge.

Didn't get FJ but I should have.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Unfortunately, he won anyway.  Boo, hiss.

FJ was an instaget for me.  I have no idea who Thomas Hobbes is.

Thomas Hobbes was a British philosopher who wrote Leviathan, a book on statecraft. He famously said that the natural condition of humankind was "nasty, brutish, and short." He wouldn't have been a bad guess for FJ, except that the category specified American authors. I thought of him before Melville occurred to me. I have no idea where the guess of Mark Twain came from.

• Love 4

Sorry, Pat.  I was rooting for you, so that was the kiss of death.  I can't wait for that board-hopping DD hunter (yay, he didn't get any!) to be gone.

I had a bad game, probably because I was so annoyed by Greg.  The only TS I got was et.

I was clueless for FJ.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Sorry, Pat.  I was rooting for you, so that was the kiss of death.

Hey, wait, I thought I was the kiss of death!

When Pat biffed that DD (now I can't remember what it was, but it seemed easy), I knew we were saying good-bye.  Oh, well.

To me there was practically a neon sign over FJ, blinking MOBY-DICK!  I guess you know what you know.  I, for instance, didn't know a single answer in the sports category, so I won't judge.

• Love 5

I laughed my ass off at "orifices". 

I thought Melville seemed so obvious, that it must be wrong. But only one of them got it, so it can't have been that easy!

• Love 5

So... Now they're starting the responses with "so." I cringed when that woman on the far end said, "So, what is..."

I don't even remember the clue or the response, I was so dismayed at the "so."  I'm glad she lost.

I, too, was disappointed in the unfinished status of Dominica. I wondered if the two remaining clues mentioned nutmeg - it seems to be famous for nutmeg, like the Bahamas are for straw hats & Jamaica for beaded braids.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Pallida said:

I had a professor who did research in Dominica.  I wanted to get through that category :( And the pronunciation!  I found a youtube video on the (mis)pronunciation of Dominica that I think others will find funny: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiUK5oJ5VB4

Interesting. Of course that's how it should be pronounced -- it makes me think of the Singing Nun song -- but I'm so used to Doh-MIN-nicah that it could be hard for me to change.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Interesting. Of course that's how it should be pronounced -- it makes me think of the Singing Nun song -- 

Same here. My choir has done that song, so my mind instantly went there as soon as Alex read the category. I'd never heard the country's name pronounced before, but I guess now I know that's how you do it.

I thought I liked Greg early on when he got Futurama correct (and answered with such glee), but he lost me once he got control in DJ and started picking from the middle. I did laugh at lugesters though.

And I thought it was crazy no one rang in and scooped up pumice after lava was ruled incorrect.

• Love 3