Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, teebax said:

As long as you don't board hop or interrupt Alex's inane comments ala Matt Jackson and Arthur Chu, we're good.

OR take too long to ask for the next clue! 

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

FJ was an instaget and I don't follow basketball.  I agree that "What is a raptor?" shouldn't have been accepted.  Come on judges, pull your heads out of your Kit Carson asses and be consistent!

2 hours ago, illdoc said:

I call "Foul!" I know it didn't matter but "What is a raptor?" is not a valid response in FJ. They wanted the team. "A raptor" is not a team. "The Raptors" or "the Toronto Raptors" is the name of the team. "Timberwolves" was just plain sad.

ITA. Had Abigail bet correctly, I would have protested the win if I were Nora since AT particularly asked her if she got the NBA Team. Amy didn't read the clue right either as she guessed timberwolf instead of the Minnesota Timberwolves. 

• Love 2

I liked Amy, too, for the same reason as CarpeDiem.  Nora was ok, but I think she won't last.  Abigail did another stupid wager in FJ but she shouldn't have been correct anyway, so there is poetic justice.  

I will say that how a person holds the buzzer has never bothered me.  They should do whatever feels comfortable (except wildly flailing, please don't do that).

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Woo!  My wheelhouse!  I had FJ before I finished reading it.

Not my wheelhouse in the least, but I also (somehow) came up with the answer before finishing reading the clue. I would have never come up with the city however. I'm just glad that Alex didn't make a comment about having a sports-themed FJ during a game with 3 female contestants. 

This is the first day I noticed Abigail's sparkly glasses. I'll miss her, but Nora seems OK except for her board hopping. Not expecting her to stay around for long. 

Missed TS I got were Lincoln Continental Army, Tonga, scalp (missed DD), & sinus. Clearly these ladies do not live in the South to have missed sinus; I take Mucinex D almost daily. I wish they would have finished the ice cream category. I cringed and almost zoned out for the Roman Numeral category, but ended up running it. CV seemed too easy for a DJ DD, but it has only recently been used semi-commonly in the US. 

So glad Alex had the opportunity to trot out his Irish accent </sarcasm>

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 2

When I was visiting the Yucatan in 1970, the hotel served us corn ice cream. Lil niblets mixed into vanilla ice cream. Sounds icky, but was surprisingly good.  However, I don't think sauerkraut would be quite the same thing.  Sour cream, yes; ice cream, no.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Is there really such a thing as sauerkraut ice cream? 

Come to the Waynesville, Ohio (named after Mad Anthony Wayne, no less) Sauerkraut Festival in October where you can eat not only sauerkraut ice cream, but sauerkraut fudge, cookies, pies, and cakes as well.

• Love 4

Unfortunately I was spoiled for FJ but I would have gotten it anyway because that's my team! I agree, Abigail should not have been credited for just raptor.

I was really rooting for Amy but I'm okay with Nora winning. 

The only ts I remember getting was Tonga and that was just a lucky guess.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

Come to the Waynesville, Ohio (named after Mad Anthony Wayne, no less) Sauerkraut Festival in October where you can eat not only sauerkraut ice cream, but sauerkraut fudge, cookies, pies, and cakes as well.

And do you?

• Love 1

The FJ clue specifically asked for the NBA team name. Specifically. The judging on this show drives me bonkers.

Going back a couple of games, Abigail's guess of the Ottoman Empire was one of the worst wrong guesses ever. The clue stated the Empire in question fell apart in the 1400's. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the Ottoman Empire lasted into the 20th Century; at least it should be common knowledge among J! players. I didn't mind Abigail, but she kind of lost me after that. 

Am I the only one who thinks of The L Word whenever hearing the name David Hockney? "Fuck David Hockney!" "Why fuck David Hockney?" Anyone else??

• Love 3
15 hours ago, illdoc said:

I call "Foul!" I know it didn't matter but "What is a raptor?" is not a valid response in FJ. They wanted the team. "A raptor" is not a team. "The Raptors" or "the Toronto Raptors" is the name of the team. "Timberwolves" was just plain sad.

Thank goodness she didn't win, because my blood pressure couldn't have taken that.  Plus, while I didn't mind Abigail the first two games, for some reason she really annoyed me last night so I'm glad to see the end of her.

12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I can't see the judges distinguishing betw "a raptor" and "the Raptors." 

In addition to FJ, I got scalp, Lincoln Continental Army, and mill.

I got those, and sinus as well.  As much trouble as I have with mine, missing that one would've been a crime.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:
1 hour ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And do you?

Of course! Check it out.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Once again, crazy me.  I thought a raptor was any generic bird of prey.  Who knew it was prehistoric. 

Is there really such a thing as sauerkraut ice cream?  Why would anyone do that....

Raptor can refer to a generic bird of prey, but the Toronto Raptors mascot is a dinosaur.

But, yes, absolutely, to the 'ewwwww' on sauerkraut ice cream.

25 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

Going back a couple of games, Abigail's guess of the Ottoman Empire was one of the worst wrong guesses ever. The clue stated the Empire in question fell apart in the 1400's. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that the Ottoman Empire lasted into the 20th Century; at least it should be common knowledge among J! players.

I will shamefully admit that I said Ottoman, even though logically I knew that couldn't be right.  Sometimes the mind just doesn't come up with the right thing.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4
(edited)
On 4/3/2017 at 9:23 PM, CarpeDiem54 said:

I said the Great Depression, too, and I think that's what they were going for.  When Billy answered Dust Bowl, Alex hesitated and then said they'd accept it.  I guess the judges thought since the Dust Bowl happened during the Great Depression, it was close enough.

I said Dust Bowl because the woman in the picture was the iconic face of the Dust Bowl victims. It was the same time period as the Great Depression, which is what they were going for, but the initial cause of their plight was different.

5 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Once again, crazy me.  I thought a raptor was any generic bird of prey.  Who knew it was prehistoric.

Thank you Jurassic Park. ;)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Raptor can refer to a generic bird of prey, but the Toronto Raptors mascot is a dinosaur.

A velociraptor, to be precise. Yet another reason 'a raptor' should not have been accepted.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I am still wondering WTF that wager was. Seriously, WTF was the thinking there? What was the math? I do not understand.

Amy's wager or Abigail's? Amy was going for a big payday but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for Abigail's low wager.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Trey said:

Amy's wager or Abigail's? Amy was going for a big payday but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for Abigail's low wager.

Oh, definitely Abigail's. It was nonsense!

• Love 2

Since I'm not a sports fan, I would have bet zero. And I didn't get it, so I would have been right to bet zero. I tune out basketball as much as possible - given the mister is a big fan and those damned squeaking athletic shoes are forever in the background - especially during March Madness.

• Love 2

I think Abigail's voice reached a pitch that only dogs could hear during the interview portion last night.  I don't even remember what she said (or perhaps I couldn't hear it), but her voice kept getting higher and higher!  I didn't mind her so much on Monday and Tuesday, but it didn't hurt my feelings that she lost last night.

I must have misread FJ, too, because I said Raptor as well.  And would also like to thank Jurassic Park, as @Clanstarling did above. 

• Love 4

I knew it was The Raptors but couldn't remember Toronto....which apparently didn't make a difference.

After being a Hamilton fan, she should have known Continental Army :-) 

• Love 2

Boo, hiss!  Of the three tonight, I so wanted Nora to win again.  David pissed me off with his first pick, and Maresha wasn't much better.  Oh well.  FJ was an instaget for me -- I guess it wasn't as familiar a phrase as the clue writers thought it was.

Only a few TS that I got -- flamingo, New Yorker, chrysanthemum, Obies and James Cagney. 

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, Miss Chevious said:

Tonight's FJ -if a contestant can't equate "canine" with "dog" they shouldn't be on the show! Horse and pony show, indeed. 

This was an embarrassingly easy FJ -- like teen tournament level easy.

• Love 6

"Can I buy a personality for 1,000, Alex?" because none of them had one.  Also, "Can you make them start at the top for 2,000, Alex?" because this is driving me insane.

I didn't get any TS.  Boo hiss.

Kids Tournament level FJ tonight.

• Love 12

I don't understand why the gal on the end ventured a guess (wrong) for the last clue.  She was tied with the champ for the lead at that point.  And she got FJ right so she could have won the game if she hadn't lost money on that last clue. 

• Love 2

The beginning of the show was preempted by Trump, so I missed the first few categories. Hence, I wasn't really into this show tonight. Anyway, I got chrysanthemum and Jimmy Cagney. I said Nigeria instead of Liberia -- rats. FJ was super easy.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

"Can I buy a personality for 1,000, Alex?" because none of them had one.  Also, "Can you make them start at the top for 2,000, Alex?" because this is driving me insane.

I didn't get any TS.  Boo hiss.

Kids Tournament level FJ tonight.

I got New Yorker, chrysanthemum, Obies, and James Cagney. I agree it was sad that none of them knew Cagney played George M. Cohan (and won an Oscar!) I've seen clips of him bouncing around to "Yankee Doodle" many times.

I thought of the three, David had the most personality. Maresha seemed especially blah. I hope she shows more life when she preaches!

• Love 1

I FF'ed past Nora's intro last night, so I didn't catch her job description.  Tonight I had to turn on closed captions so I could read what Johnny was saying, because I rewound three times and I was sure I was hearing "snoring detector."  Which should be a real job if it isn't.

• Love 3

Maresha had me with her alliterative name, but lost me with her board hopping.

The TS I got were Obie & the missed DD of chrysanthemum. I said Jimmy Durante for James Cagney, but I was picturing the right actor in my head. 'Cause that counts ;-)

FJ was way easy; can't believe Nora didn't get it. 

I like David. He can stick around if he can learn to start from the top of the categories & work down. 

Glad they cleared the board in both rounds. First time in a while. 

• Love 3

I've heard "dog and pony show" but more often I hear "horse and pony show". Since canine was in the clue I went with dog and pony.

I said Edward G. Robinson instead of Cagney but, like Toothbrush, saw the right actor in my head:) I got chrysanthemum and Liberia, that's all I wrote down.

Loved the comma category and laughed out loud at the Oscar Wilde quote.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:42 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

When I was visiting the Yucatan in 1970, the hotel served us corn ice cream. Lil niblets mixed into vanilla ice cream. Sounds icky, but was surprisingly good.  However, I don't think sauerkraut would be quite the same thing.  Sour cream, yes; ice cream, no.

I would be so pissed with corn ice cream like that!  I have a pet peeve about corn mixed in with my food.  Corn is OK, just not my favorite and I don't like it mixed in with other stuff, especially soup.  With ice cream!  I will pass.  Sauerkraut, no way. 

The religion category was pretty easy as well. 

I should have known FJ but just couldn't think of the phrase.  Seems obvious though, yes. 

I knew Toronto Raptors immediately. 

Whats with the betting strategies lately of these people?  Second time someone in the lead has not bet enough to win. 

• Love 2
(edited)

DR. Spaceman I feel the same way about corn. Corn on the cob is okay (doesn't make me orgasm like most people) but any corn from the can makes me ill, especially creamed corn. I'm placing the blame on all my years at Girl Scout camp probably being served industrial can sized corn with that weird flavor. When I moved down south from NY they often served something called Congealed Salad which was Jello with canned corn in it Not only is the name vomit inducing but the idea of canned corn, canned green beans in jello! 

Edited by operalover
  • Love 2

Corn is grody.  All of it.

It's so interesting where knowledge gaps are.  I think I maybe got one answer in the Bible category yesterday.  I always thought "Jesus wept" was an epithet like "bless your heart," I realize how ridiculous that sounds but I did not grow up in a religious household.  I think maybe we have a bible in our house that was a hand-me-down from my husband's grandfather.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, operalover said:

Corn on the cob is okay doesn't make me orgasm like most people) 

I love corn on the cob, but it sounds like I'm missing out...

It's so interesting where knowledge gaps are.  I think I maybe got one answer in the Bible category yesterday.  I always thought "Jesus wept" was an epithet like "bless your heart," I realize how ridiculous that sounds but I did not grow up in a religious household.  I think maybe we have a bible in our house that was a hand-me-down from my husband's grandfather.

I didn't grow up in a religious household either, but I tend to do fairly well - I blame it on being a lit major - biblical references abound in classic lit.

Edited by Clanstarling
Because "didn't" is kind of important to the meaning of the sentence.
  • Love 7
(edited)

Maresha bugged me from the get-go, and finding out that she's a preacher only confirmed how much I wanted her to lose.  (It's my own issue with god-botherers, and she struck as being that type.  Not all preachers are, and those that aren't are just fine.)  So yay! to guy in the middle!  David? I think?

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Only a few TS that I got -- flamingo, New Yorker, chrysanthemum, Obies and James Cagney. 

I didn't get the New Yorker, but did get the others.  I almost went with the Tonys then realized they must be considerably older than the date in the clue.  Love me some James Cagney, although I've never actually seen Yankee Doodle Dandy; I read a biography of him, though, which talked extensively about his vaudeville days.  I also got Liberia - I remember Charles Taylor being the president because of Naomi Campbell testifying at his war-crimes trial; yeah, that seemed really random to me at the time.

I was hit and miss on the bible category.  I've heard the phrase "Jesus wept", but the chapter and verse numbers meant absolutely diddly-squat to me.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 3

First time I heard "bless your heart" was when I moved down South. I didn't know what it meant but thought it meant something like "oh you poor thing." But I have heard it actually means "you are a total idiot!"

I've learned a lot about the Bible watching Jeopardy. Revelation (no S!) Deuteronomy! Numbers! If I ever went on the show I would study up that category. 

• Love 2

Even popcorn???? 

Popcorn is the only way I like corn, so my parents were surprised when 5 or 6 year old Toothbrush dutifully ate her little nibbler cob one night. Turns out my dad was reading "Little house in the Big Woods" to my older sister & me, and I decided that I needed a corncob doll like Laura had. I kept it wrapped in a blanket for a day or 2 & then my sister told on me (God she was such a little Mary!).

29 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was hit and miss on the bible category.  I've heard the phrase "Jesus wept", but the chapter and verse numbers meant absolutely diddly-squat to me.

We went to Mass every Sunday, said grace before meals, and went to Catholic schools K-12, so fairly religious I would say. However, being Catholic, chapter & verse mean nothing to me either. I just happen to know that "Jesus wept" is the shortest Bible verse & that is how I got it. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Ok I will give you popcorn.  Kettle corn is so yummy.

I don't think I have ever heard someone answer a DD so quickly and be so absolutely wrong.  I kinda felt badly for the guy, but not really.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I have never in my life heard "horse and pony" show but did wonder if they would have accepted pony and dog show based on the order in the clue.  Being a farm market junkie, I will eat all the corn on the cob I can in season (Michigan summers) and even cook it fresh and scrape it into a freezer bag for the winter - canned corn only when a recipe requires it or in desperation.   Being a lapsed Unitarian, Jesus wept is one of the few Bible verses I know for sure. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, operalover said:

Corn on the cob is okay (doesn't make me orgasm like most people)

4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I love corn on the cob, but it sounds like I'm missing out...

Me, too.  Maybe we're eating it wrong.

• Love 4

Both of the female contestants were eerily sedate. Like, "head down at an angle, you wonder if they're on Valium" sedate. The monotone one (not the champ) who is a preacher, I LOL'd. Don't most preachers at least modulate their voices? I can't imagine her sermons have a lot of pizzazz.

• Love 1