Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Willie Nelson (Stardust is fabulous, BTW), thermal (missed DD), Cape Horn, craps and Praetorian Guards.

I got those plus Seneca.  I still don't mind Lisa, but she did indeed looked flabbergasted that "centurions" was wrong.  To be generous, maybe it was just that she couldn't believe she'd been stupid enough to answer the wrong thing.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

Your guess was still better than the contestants'. At least Cicero was Roman. Socrates and Aeschylus were Greeks. I agree with others that the game was on the easy side, but Seneca could be tough for a non-classicist. I did my thesis on him, so he was an instaget for me.

It's interesting how we know things. I did a report on James Oglethorpe in 4th grade so that was an insta-get for me. I haven't read, heard, discussed or studied anything about him since. And I live in Georgia and we don't ever mention him.

• Love 2

"Most impressive" - Alex Trebek on Lisa.

She's on the leaderboard - one of only 10 contestants since the last TOC with winnings exceeding $100,000.  And the only woman among the 10.

(I'm a little surprised they ruled her FJ response wrong today.)

• Love 1

So glad Sean didn't win.  He lost me when he started one clue down from the top.  And why on earth did he bet anything in FJ?  He was assured a 2nd place, since Lisa had a lock game.  Warren just looked a little pissed off.

I had to think a bit for FJ -- PA came to me right away, but MA was a guess.  If Lisa hadn't tried to write out the whole name, she probably would have gotten credit for "Mass".

I was surprised that requiem was a TS.  I also got dirge, Cicero (another surprise TS) and Costa Rica.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Roaster said:

She's on the leaderboard - one of only 10 contestants since the last TOC with winnings exceeding $100,000.  And the only woman among the 10.

I wish they would put an * on there for Cindy Stowell.  I thought of her today when Lisa hit the 5 day mark.  Sigh.

• Love 4

If you can't talk about something, then don't be a jerk and put it down as an interview topic.  I'm looking at you, Lisa, you annoying flabbergasted twit.  I'm guessing she does work related to biological weapons, which makes me dislike her even more.  I liked Sean until he started picking the second clue in every category.  Why do people do that?  Do they think it's a lucky charm or some damned thing?

I got Woody Allen, requiem, bier, Cicero and Costa Rica.

I got FJ after a bit of thinking.  I'm glad they didn't give Massachoocarson (or whatever she wrote down) to Lisa.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

If you can't talk about something, then don't be a jerk and put it down as an interview topic.  I'm looking at you, Lisa, you annoying flabbergasted twit.

Hee!  I've been saying (to myself) for days that she needs to tighten up her stories, they have often had no point after a circuitous route getting there:)  In general, she hasn't bothered me that much outside of storytime until I noticed the 'shock face' today when she would get something wrong.  She does seem to go on nice runs in each episode and has a knack for finding the DDs.

• Love 2

I was so happy Cicero was the answer today! I redeemed myself from yesterday.

Rip Van Winkle comes up constantly in this show.

Lisa is good at all the of the popular culture clues and there were a lot in tonight's game.  She is starting to annoy me as well....

• Love 3

She does have a couple of annoying habits, that I didn't seem to notice at first.  The one that bothers me the most is that she says, um, before every pick.  The other one is that she finishes her answer like it's a question.  What I like about her is that she starts at the top (unless it's late in the game).  I don't even mind that she makes faces when she gets something wrong.  I also like that she seems to know how to wager strategically.  I'm happy she made it to the TOC.

I was surprised they didn't give her Massachusetts.  I guess she should have just written PA and MA.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Roaster said:

"Most impressive" - Alex Trebek on Lisa.

(I'm a little surprised they ruled her FJ response wrong today.)

I'm not surprised - it was at least consistent with the "Emancipation Proclamation" misspelling that made such a fuss.

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

If you can't talk about something, then don't be a jerk and put it down as an interview topic.  I'm looking at you, Lisa, you annoying flabbergasted twit.  I'm guessing she does work related to biological weapons, which makes me dislike her even more.  I liked Sean until he started picking the second clue in every category.  Why do people do that?  Do they think it's a lucky charm or some damned thing?

I got Woody Allen, requiem, bier, Cicero and Costa Rica.

I got FJ after a bit of thinking.  I'm glad they didn't give Massachoocarson (or whatever she wrote down) to Lisa.

Maybe after 5 days they sort of ran out of topics and Alex decided to ask her about her job?

Last I checked, the FBI doesn't really work biological weapons, except in preventing people from using them and dealing with threats. I get that you don't like her and that's fine, but there is no need to use conjecture and essentially make up information about her that you can't possibly know. Apparently 'microbial forensics' exists within the FBI (they have published on it) and it's essentially using microbiology to help solve crimes (and foodborne illnesses!)

The contestants are real people. I've never been on or tried out for Jeopardy, and frankly, this is a big part of the reason why. All contestants will have people who like and dislike them, based on their performance and maybe also their stories. But nobody signs up to have people speculate about them and judge their lives as if speculation is fact.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Is Lisa the champ? The one who looks like Blossom? She is annoying as hell. She has a comprehensive set of "adorkable mannerisms" that are, taken all together, overwhelming for the home viewer.

So, I'm not the only one who thought she looked like Blossom? That's good to know. Being a nerdy guy and a scientist, I do find her adorkable mannerisms somewhat charming though.  

She just squeaked out that runaway at the end. The look on Sean's face as he knew it was over. Would have been a more interesting bid if she hadn't got the last clue.

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

The contestants are real people. I've never been on or tried out for Jeopardy, and frankly, this is a big part of the reason why. All contestants will have people who like and dislike them, based on their performance and maybe also their stories. But nobody signs up to have people speculate about them and judge their lives as if speculation is fact.

That's very true. At least in Lisa's case, I would think $112,300 and a spot in the TOC would help with that. 

• Love 4

I don't mind Lisa

I was just surprised at how old she must be.  She had the story about visiting the Berlin wall with her dad when she was 4 years old, which makes her 32 years old, mimimum.  I figured she was in her 20s. 

I am surprised as well they didn't give her the FJ answer with what she wrote, but it didn't matter, we knew she wasn't betting much.  She had barely over twice the amount of second place. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, secnarf said:

I'll be totally honest with you. I've been on the show. In my mind, I was indeed signing up for that! After all, I was being *paid* to appear on *national television*--not competing in pub trivia. That means I made an informed decision to put myself in the public eye.

I simply avoided message boards and Twitter that day (I came in second, so only had one appearance). If any viewers had unfavorable opinions of me, I never found out!

Edited by LZ1982
  • Love 13

I like Lisa and hope she continues to win. I like her enthusiasm and think she's genuinely surprised she continues to win.

I've had my fair share of contestants I didn't like, so I can empathize with those of you who dislike her, but she doesn't do anything that bothers me. The "so" thing has never bothered me, even though I teach language arts for a living.

Of course, now that I've typed that the jinx is on. 

• Love 5

The "so" thing doesn't bother me - even though you all have now made me realize how often I do it myself.  I am getting a little bothered by the "uh" before each call, although I realize not everybody is a public speaker.  While I realize she didn't have much on the line, I appreciated Lisa's acknowledgment that her Massa!$!@#%@ answer wasn't going to fly.

• Love 2

I had heard the term 'quisling' but didn't know it was Norwegian or a person! The response of 'Quiznos' made me laugh, though. As did her answer instead of 'Harold and Kumar'.

I guess there is no point in reading or watching Gone Girl now that I know the ending.

Couldn't believe Canada was a TS - even if you've never heard of the Group of Seven, the clue said it was above Lake Superior!

• Love 3

Eh, I still like her -- we microbiologists have to stick together!  :)

I can honestly say that I have never read a Le Carre novel ever, so I was actually clueless on FJ.  I've heard of him, and know his books are quite popular, but they're not my cup of tea.

However, I did get the TS of bee hummingbird, mass, limn, and surrealist.

Also -- Marion the Librarian!  Hee!

• Love 5

Darn it, Tyler!  I was counting on you.  I loved Marion's cat story.

I got Quisling, mini-skirt (I was sad no one knew that - I'm old), Canada, and surrealist.

For FJ, I guessed Robert Ludlum.  At least he wrote thrillers unlike Salman Rushdie.

• Love 6

So Lisa won again?  I got a phone call during final Jeopardy and missed the outcome.  She does not annoy me at all.

I guess non-Canadians are not familiar with the Group of Seven.  Too bad.  Really amazing works of art.  But "North of Superior" should have been a gimme.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

I had heard the term 'quisling' but didn't know it was Norwegian or a person!

I learned it from Jeopardy. One of many things that have eventually been branded into my brain by this show.

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Quisling, mini-skirt (I was sad no one knew that - I'm old),

I went for the transparent blouse (which I'm not sure was Quant, but was roughly in that era) - I took "revealing" a little too literally.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, readheaded said:

Lisa has driven me crazy since her debut.  Her mannerisms are the gesticular equivalent of humble-bragging.  It's like she's saying, "OMG, am I really this smart?  Gosh, I AM!"  Barf.

THIS. I just binge watched 4 eps I had missed and I couldn't pinpoint what it was that I couldn't stand about her. You nailed it for me.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

I had heard the term 'quisling' but didn't know it was Norwegian or a person! The response of 'Quiznos' made me laugh, though. As did her answer instead of 'Harold and Kumar'.

I guess there is no point in reading or watching Gone Girl now that I know the ending.

Couldn't believe Canada was a TS - even if you've never heard of the Group of Seven, the clue said it was above Lake Superior!

You may be joking, but Gone Girl is still worth seeing/reading even if you know he ending.  Its about much more than just what they revealed here.  Very original and modern, 21st century media driven story, if nothing else. You'll still be surprised

Had no idea on FJ. 

Keenan and Kel, really?  You don't even need to have seen the movies to get the question right and surely should know its not Keenan and Kel

Got all the TV places answers. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I can honestly say that I have never read a Le Carre novel ever, so I was actually clueless on FJ.

I'm a big fan of his work, and I'm embarrassed that I didn't get this one.

• Love 1

I'm a sucker for alliterative names so I was rooting for Marion, and her cat story sealed it. I'm over Lisa Farrah Fowler Heck. No reason that I can put my finger on, she just bugs. She's hella smart and I do love her gutsy wagers, but she can go at any time AFAIC.  

I would have blown FJ because I would have written La Carre instead of Le. I did like how Lisa made sure there would be no misreading of her FJ answer Friday. 

Edited by Toothbrush
wrong day
  • Love 1

What mildly annoys me about Lisa is that she answers every question like a question, instead of like an answer.  I do like her speed on choosing categories and amounts...History four.  Keeps the game moving, and she's such a happy nerd.  "Pet" spiders and frogs, oh my!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But the response is *supposed* to be in the form of a question.

I actually like how she makes an effort to phrase it properly, too - like saying 'who' instead of 'what' if the answer is a person, and is/are for singular or plural answers. She even corrected herself to phrase an answer (question) properly.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 7
On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 10:24 AM, LZ1982 said:

I'll be totally honest with you. I've been on the show. In my mind, I was indeed signing up for that! After all, I was being *paid* to appear on *national television*--not competing in pub trivia. That means I made an informed decision to put myself in the public eye.

I simply avoided message boards and Twitter that day (I came in second, so only had one appearance). If any viewers had unfavorable opinions of me, I never found out!

I've also been on the show, and I most definite didn't sign up for public criticism, beyond any comment on my really stupid first answer.  I'm incredibly glad I had no idea that message boards like this existed at the time.  I try to keep my criticism to how contestants play the game because I know I'd have been humiliated if I'd read comments about my appearance, nervous ticks, etc..

That said, while I don't mind Lisa, I am getting tired of having the same champion.  I like variety, I guess.

I didn't get Pennsylvania - I said Connecticut instead.  And I also didn't get John Le Carre.  All I could think of was Robert Ludlum and I knew that wasn't right.

• Love 6

I don't mind Lisa (except for a few minor things I already mentioned) but since she made it to the TOC, I would be happy with a new champ.  And I was rooting for Tyler.  He had such a nice, easy manner and was smart, too, except he didn't know FJ.  Lisa does know how to wager to her best advantage.  

• Love 2

Good game today.

But....Final Jeopardy.

1) I didn't think Hades was hard - got it right away - despite Alex's statement it was a "tough one" and all three contestants missing it.

2) What was with the wagering?  Lisa played it right.  Matt should have bet (a) nothing or (b) $3401, just enough to cover the others if they bet nothing

Jill should have bet close to everything she had.  She lucked out this time but that was not a good wager.

• Love 1

I'm back! For FJ I said Triton and that is only because of "The Little Mermaid."  Otherwise no clue, obvs.

FOX in Syracuse gave us an 11th hour stay the night before the Super Bowl (what a coincidence!).  My first Jeopardy! since December 30.

And I'm shocked already that someone said Tybalt instead of Mercutio.

I didn't hear at the beginning, is Lisa from NY too or did she just go to school there?

I'm usually not all about the video clues but the Museum looks so amazing I can't hate on them.  Plus they started with the gift shop and gift shops are my FAVORITE place to go whenever we go anywhere.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I'm back! For FJ I said Triton and that is only because of "The Little Mermaid."  Otherwise no clue, obvs.

I am terrible with mythology, but I also went with Triton (because of Veronica Mars!) - it occurred to me at the last second after I had rejected Mariana and Neptune. I thought Triton was about as good of a guess as I could hope to come up with.

• Love 1

All I could think of for FJ was the Benthic zone or the Aphotic zone.  I probably should have focused on Poseidon's name instead of the oceanic zone.  I don't think I've heard the depths of the ocean referred to as Hades.

But at least I was able to come up with saddle shoes, medicine man and The Planets!  I guess saddle shoes were before the contestants' time.  I'll give the guy a pass, too, since guys generally didn't wear saddle shoes.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

I'll give the guy a pass, too, since guys generally didn't wear saddle shoes.

Au contraire!  My beloved journalism teacher who passed away in 2015 was buried in his darling saddle shoes.  That was a TS?

• Love 3