Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I spit out Florida Georgia Line without fully reading the clue. And whatever Alex said in response to her answer made it sound like he didn't know that is a band. 

Lonesome Dove was one of the first "adult books" I read. I was around 9 and asked my parents what to read and was told that and the Thorn Birds.  Needless to say, I always enjoy when the two come up on Jeopardy. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Pallida said:

I spit out Florida Georgia Line without fully reading the clue. And whatever Alex said in response to her answer made it sound like he didn't know that is a band. 

Lonesome Dove was one of the first "adult books" I read. I was around 9 and asked my parents what to read and was told that and the Thorn Birds.  Needless to say, I always enjoy when the two come up on Jeopardy. 

The Thorn Birds, huh? Progressive parents. :) I learned to sneak read the stuff my parents wouldn't let me read (though to be fair, they were pretty chill and even argued with a librarian who wouldn't let me check out something). This made the books they forbade even more enticing.

• Love 3

I remember the prostitute "poke" from LD more than most details from the Thorn Birds. I should reread :) I was never good at being my age, so I think it's less progressive parenting and more "oh yeah you were kinda young huh?"

• Love 2

So it's goodbye already to Mukund, but Gavin seems pleasant. He reminds me a little bit of Ron Howard. I don't recall too many TS's other than A Thousand Acres (a book I highly recommend, by the way). I was surprised two out of three said United Nations for FJ.  The names indicated an international organization, but one that only lasted between the two World Wars.

• Love 6

I hate it when someone says whatever their wager is for DD, say $1000, and AT says "ok, $1000 only." Yes, asshole (or whatever the equivalent is in French), ONLY $1000. 

Also, regarding the Neil DeGrasse Tyson category, why couldn't AT tell viewers to watch NDT's new series on NatGeo before the game started when he read the category names. Why take up precious time during the game to give us that info??? (Off to google what asshole translates to in French.)

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

So it's goodbye already to Mukund, but Gavin seems pleasant. He reminds me a little bit of Ron Howard. I don't recall too many TS's other than A Thousand Acres (a book I highly recommend, by the way). I was surprised two out of three said United Nations for FJ.  The names indicated an international organization, but one that only lasted between the two World Wars.

The category also was 'international organizations'.

I was also a bit surprised at the UN responses - it was an instaget for me. At the very least, I thought it was fairly common knowledge that the UN was formed in the aftermath of WWII.

There were a couple of TS that I got - oceans (The Light Between Oceans) was one, but I can't recall the rest. Also wormhole (missed DD). I liked Gavin well enough, though he didn't start at the top. I really liked Mukund, and I'm sad to see him go. It just wasn't his game today - it looked like he blanked a few times. It's got to be frustrating when the words just won't come.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

That was weird about the 2 FJ guesses of the UN -- considering it wasn't founded until after WW2 ended, but then again I also guessed wrong.

I guess that "Protestant Work" answer by Katie falls into the anti-Kit Carson category -- giving too much info, but thing is that the judges have awarded correct answers that were way wronger and also have included extra words before.

Sorry to see Mukund go, but that 3 piece suit guess was just bad.

NDT for the win !!

• Love 2

I do get a kick out of hearing Alex put his particular pronunciational spin on "genre"!  And a whole category!  Too bad the "genre" wasn't in every clue. 

I got the missed DDs of wormholes and Best Buy (I had no idea Levis started with a b -- it must be silent.  And invisible.), and the TS of oceans and acres. 

Could not for the life of me come up with League of Nations, just "that organization that was the precursor to the UN".  I'm okay with a Gavin win.  I might not get to watch tomorrow or Wednesday, so y'all will have to keep me updated.

• Love 2

I am sorry to see Mukund leave so soon but Gavin appears likeable  with no obvious flaws such as flailing arms, swaying body or the like.

The only ts I got was demographics, as long as that is the same as demography.

Pretty much an instaget FJ.  I was surprised too that two of them got it wrong.  Sometimes I think the person who gets FJ should be the winner even if they don't have the most money.

• Love 2

I got League of Nations easy enough. Dates between WWI and WWII people. 

I have never heard of Benetton's in my life. 

9 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Also, regarding the Neil DeGrasse Tyson category, why couldn't AT tell viewers to watch NGT's new series on NatGeo before the game started when he read the category names. Why take up precious time during the game to give us that info??? (Off to google what asshole translates to in French.)

I don't know if they stop the time when he does that. Either at the beginning of the round or the end of it. As for time, at least they only had one clue they didn't get to reveal. 

I think Mukund was a little out of it too. 3-piece suit and Levi's beginning with a B? Well, he had a nice run. 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 2

I liked Mukund but congrats, Gavin!  He's from my neck of the woods. Great Sand Dunes National Park is in Colorado, Alex.  Not everything is in California.

Protestant ethic is commonly known as protestant work ethic, so I call BS on that ruling.  Plus, they ruled baloney correct for Bologna.  WTH?

I got Best Buy and voting. 

Finally!  An FJ instaget.  I was surprised that two of them didn't know that the UN was after WWII.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I got the missed DDs of wormholes and Best Buy (I had no idea Levis started with a b -- it must be silent.  And invisible.)

I forgot the category was "B", and I guessed Walmart.

2 hours ago, Trey said:

The only ts I got was demographics, as long as that is the same as demography.

I too said demographics. I also got The Light Between Oceans (just watched the movie), A Thousand Acres (saw that movie too), wormhole, and three-hanky. I didn't think 'three-tissue' should have been accepted.

League of Nations seemed very easy. To not know that, or think the United Nations existed before WWII, is a big no-no for a trivia show.

Oh, and did the new champ say, "Baloney" for that city in Italy?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I've never been in one, but the ad for the "united color of Benetton" or something like that stuck in my head.

6 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Oh, and did the new champ say, "Baloney" for that city in Italy?

He did. The mister and I had a minor disagreement about whether it should have been allowed. His position was that the category was about food named for cities (not Cities food are named for) so baloney was an acceptable answer. He had a point. I still didn't like it.

• Love 3

The clue was: "We have some meaty matters to discuss here," so they were asking for the city. The guy said, "Where is Baloney?" Alex should have responded, "I don't know. Where IS Baloney?"

Oh, and I hate when they do a clue like the one that followed: "It's the favorite county of some of our writers," the answer being Bourbon county. They've done this once or twice before. I can't remember if the previous one(s) was also booze-related, but I'll be on the lookout for this next time.

I liked Mukund's surreal riddle. Very weird but funny.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I'm mostly surprised that they're still around.  

I forgot today was Monday, so I accidentally read the forum before the show aired, and so was spoiled as to FJ.  I'm pretty sure I would have gotten it, though.  

Alex didn't disappoint with his pronunciation of "zhhaaahhhhn-ruhhhh".  I really hope that whenever he finally retires from the show, he can get a gig reading French audiobooks or dubbing films or something, so all that glorious Trebek-ness doesn't go to waste.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Pallida said:

Protestant work ethic was incorrect because the clue was really asking for the title of Weber's book which does not include "work."

Oh, heck.  I forgot they were asking for book titles.

39 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The clue was: "We have some meaty matters to discuss here," so they were asking for the city. The guy said, "Where is Baloney?" Alex should have responded, "I don't know. Where IS Baloney?"

"Why, Alex, Baloney is near the highest sand dune in California.  It's where Kit Carson goes to eat sandwiches."

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Oh, heck.  I forgot they were asking for book titles.

"Why, Alex, Baloney is near the highest sand dune in California.  It's where Kit Carson goes to eat sandwiches."

It wasn't the book title category :) The clue had the rest of the title in quotes though. Tricksy tricksy. Or cruel. 

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, dcalley said:

Their ads were all over my Sassy and Seventeen magazines.

Thanks, I had no idea. I'm not exactly in the demographic for Sassy or Seventeen. I never saw one growing up either. 

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, DrScottie said:

Thanks, I had no idea. I'm not exactly in the demographic for Sassy or Seventeen. I never saw one growing up either. 

All I remember is that their clothing was expensive, so we used to call it the United Colors of Spend-a-ton.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Scott said:

Alex didn't disappoint with his pronunciation of "zhhaaahhhhn-ruhhhh".  I really hope that whenever he finally retires from the show, he can get a gig reading French audiobooks or dubbing films or something, so all that glorious Trebek-ness doesn't go to waste.

Maybe play Inspector Clouseau.

• Love 5

I knew it wasn't the UN, but I wasn't thinking about governmental international orgs, so initially, I went with the International Red Cross as well. I did eventually come up with League of Nations after reviewing the clue and focusing on the years, but probably too late to be able to write it all down if I were on the show.

• Love 4

As a history major (from a long ago degree), I too was dismayed by the UN answers.  Okay true confession- I yelled at the television.  But as part of my New Year's resolution to be more sane, I thought about all the FJ answers I would miss that would be obvious to others and tried to smile.  Nope not working.  Still amazed at UN.  

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, GreekGeek said:

Was anyone else as confused by today's FJ as I was? I thought the person's name had to be in the title of the movie. I guessed Schindler.

I knew the film they meant but couldn't remember John Nash's name.  Do you think they would've accepted my answer of "that guy Russell Crowe played in A Beautiful Mind"?

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:55 AM, tvaddict44 said:

Call me crazy too I guess. To me if you say "title person"  that means name a person, not a name of a movie.  All three contestants answered with people's names so I'm guessing they thought they had to have a person also. I wish they would run their FJ questions by a panel to see if there are any odd wordings - it happens too often.

Yeah, I can see the wording confusing people.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 11:24 AM, Trey said:

Yes, John Nash.  I know because I googled it:).

I wondered how she missed Alabama - what state is a neighbour to Georgia and might have a band named the same as the state and that band might sing a song called Burn Georgia Burn (very sad lyrics)?  Only Alabama.

Then again, I wasn't the one under the bright lights and all the pressure.

I said Florida Georgia Line - I think she did as well.  It kills me that I completely forgot about Alabama.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

There is some leniency on the FJ answers.  I seem to recall before if they write down an answer that is unclear Alex will ask them to clarify verbally what they meant.  However obviously if it is something like "Roosevelt" and the correct answer has already been revealed and they don't clarify which Roosevelt, I think it would be a miss.  Otherwise you could just claim you mean the correct one.  Things like spelling though and sloppy writing I have seen them before ask what they meant. 

There is a lot of inconsistency about the whole "be more specific" thing.  Sometimes they have to clarify (the infamous Kit Carson incident) and sometimes not (the whole Adams & Roosevelt answers for a "Presidents" category the very same week as the KC clue).

I got the missed DDs of wormholes and Best Buy (I had no idea Levis started with a b -- it must be silent.  And invisible.), and the TS of oceans and acres. 

I got Best Buy, oceans and acres, but like Mukund, I said tesseract for the wormhole DD.  He must've been thinking of A Wrinkle In Time, too.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2

I don't know if it's okay to toot my own horn (don't you love clichés?) but if you go to the Amazon Kindle store and "peek inside" a book called The Rainbow's Foot -- by Denise Dietz -- reviewers have compared it to Thorn Birds AND Lonesome Dove.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, DrScottie said:

When I was 11 or 12 the highlight of my trip to Italy was getting to go to the flagship Benetton much to my parents chagrin.

• Love 1

Didn't it say the city was named after a saint?  I had no clue because I knew it couldn't be St Petersburg.  I guess I didn't understand the clue. 

The whole game was kind of painful to watch.

Edited by SierraMist
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I thought Alex's accent was Russian, so I too said Moscow.

I knew it couldn't be Moscow because Moscow had been an answer earlier in the game. I misunderstood the question again. Like SierraMist, I thought the answer was the city, not the square, that was named for a saint. In any event, I would never have connected Vaclavske with Wenceslas (who I thought was Polish, not Czech). 

To my credit, though, I knew Berlin, Death Wish, Hamlet (amazed that no one rang in after Macbeth and Othello were eliminated), Seascape, Duchamp (or Du-SHAWWW), Ishtar, and cassis.

• Love 4

Overall, it was a pretty underwhelming game -- so many TS and low scores to go with it.

32 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew it couldn't be Moscow because Moscow had been an answer earlier in the game. I misunderstood the question again. Like SierraMist, I thought the answer was the city, not the square, that was named for a saint. In any event, I would never have connected Vaclavske with Wenceslas (who I thought was Polish, not Czech). 

To my credit, though, I knew Berlin, Death Wish, Hamlet (amazed that no one rang in after Macbeth and Othello were eliminated), Seascape, Duchamp (or Du-SHAWWW), Ishtar, and cassis.

I also thought Wenceslas was Polish so I guessed Warsaw.  D'oh !!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Roaster said:

Vaclavske Namesti - I thought of Vaclav Havel and the Czech Republic.  Guessed Prague.

Same here.  My first thought was Warsaw as I thought it sounded Polish, but then I saw Vaclav in the name, thought of Havel which brought me to Prague.  

• Love 2

I also guessed Warsaw because I thought the name sounded Polish. And yesterday I forgot all about the League of Nations and wild guessed Interpol, which I knew was wrong. It's been a bad couple of FJs for me lately.

I'm surprised Gavin(?) was a one and done. It seemed like Mukund was much stronger competition than either of today's competitors. That Jurassic (sp?) Park guess early on floored me.

• Love 1

For FJ, I was thinking the country was Czechoslavia, but I couldn't remember the capital.

TSs I got were Death Wish, flounder, skein (which was a guess), Seascape, Duchamp, and the DD of Euphrates.

• Love 1

I got Duchamp because J! loves to use Nude Descending Staircase. Yelled SEASCAPE and DEATH WISH (Bronson...sheesh!) at the TV. I've got to stop yelling. My poor dog has started looking at me as if I'm a Steven Spielberg alien. Didn't get FJ, but then I bet zero --- hah!

• Love 1