Type keyword(s) to search

Football/Soccer

Hope Solo tweeted a picture of herself wearing a bandana over her face and a mosquito net pitch helmet and holding a giant bottle of insect repellent, it was pretty obvious it was a joke.  So the Brazilian fans taunted her with shouts of "Zika" during the game.  She tweeted in response, "I'm glad the fans had fun. If they had more fun at my expense, more power to them."

then she tried to clarify and apparently Pia (Swedish coach) had them play really defensively, and Solo was all but we were courageous because we tried to go out there and kick butt and get goals, and I am like shut up. just shut up. 

• Love 6

That is WHAT I LOVE ABOUT social media.

You make a stupid comment then say

1 I was taken out of context

2 I was misquoted

3 I was kidding

4 Use some excuse like I was hacked or frustrated

5 delete your stupidity and/or close your account.

All perfectly good reasons to realize that you don't possess any of the traits of being a good sportsperson or gracious in defeat.

------------------

She is probably gonna use the excuse that her dad, Han, was killed in the Star Wars movie and she is still mourning his death?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ElDosEquis said:

That is WHAT I LOVE ABOUT social media.

You make a stupid comment then say

1 I was taken out of context

2 I was misquoted

3 I was kidding

4 Use some excuse like I was hacked or frustrate

5 delete your stupidity and/or close your account.

All perfectly good reasons to realize that you don't possess any of the traits of being a good sportsperson or gracious in defeat.

------------------

She is probably gonna use the excuse that her dad, Han, was killed in the Star Wars movie and she is still mourning his death?

I'm not actually a fan of social media, because you can make one stupid joke or slip up, or whatever and it gets amplified and out of control.  But she doesn't even have the luxury of saying any of those things because she didn't tweet it, she gave that nasty, unsportsmanlike, and just downright embarrassing speech to the media. She's just despicable.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, briochetwist said:

I'm not actually a fan of social media, because you can make one stupid joke or slip up, or whatever and it gets amplified and out of control.  But she doesn't even have the luxury of saying any of those things because she didn't tweet it, she gave that nasty, unsportsmanlike, and just downright embarrassing speech to the media. She's just despicable.

Thanks for the clarification, it bypassed her fingers and went straight to her mouth?

That's even worse.

It means she doesn't even have the buffer of fingers to blame - it came right out her piehole?

What about Han?

• Love 1

NGL, I did laugh out loud when Hope Solo fucked up against the team they drew against(South American, actual country escapes me). I feel terrible for the other girls that they are done in Rio, but Hope Solo needs to go to a galaxy far far away.

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

NGL, I did laugh out loud when Hope Solo fucked up against the team they drew against(South American, actual country escapes me). I feel terrible for the other girls that they are done in Rio, but Hope Solo needs to go to a galaxy far far away.

Her Sith name is Darth Douchbag.

• Love 9

Hope Solo is an arrogant, entitled, bitch, nothing more to it.

Same woman who was arrested for domestic assault in 2014 and then proceeded to berate and yell at every single member of the police force while her arrest was being processed and she was thrown in jail, with clichéd "Do you know who I am" type of comments, among others.  Oh sorry, "alleged" domestic assault.  Then she blames it all on her sister and nephew, says she is the victim. 

She is a lying piece of trash. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, bosawks said:

I'm curious if Ellis survives this.

I guess it depends on how much it would cost US Soccer to axe her and how willing they are to admit they f'ed up.

They absolutely SHOULD give her the boot, but I have the feeling that unfortunately she'll survive. Though I would love to know what US Soccer will tell her privately if she stays on. 

• Love 2

Several former team members have called her out on social media (Julie Foudy) and Christine Brennan who is a well-respected sports journalist was quite adamant that she needs to go.  There will be plenty of pressure from outside the team and today's comments along with the domestic violence are more than enough.  Plus she didn't play that well in the last match.

• Love 1

Well there goes any good will Solo had ever built up.  All gone now.  Bye bye word that rhymes with witch.  This is not being strong. This is being arrogant, stupid, and... well... can a white American woman be racist against Swedes?  Dunno. 

Here's the full rant.  What an asshole: 

35 years old.  She wasn't coming back for another Olympics anyway and certainly knew that.  The problem is I imagine is getting her ass out before the next World Championship.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

Well there goes any good will Solo had ever built up.  All gone now.  Bye bye word that rhymes with witch.  This is not being strong. This is being arrogant, stupid, and... well... can a white American woman be racist against Swedes?  Dunno. 

Here's the full rant.  What an asshole: 

35 years old.  She wasn't coming back for another Olympics anyway and certainly knew that.  The problem is I imagine is getting her ass out before the next World Championship.

Good night.  She's the female Donald Trump!

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Good night.  She's the female Donald Trump!

I hope she has money in the bank. Because she's gonna be lucky to get work at a Burger King going forward.

I suppose her only hope (oops, pun) is a few years of silence and then a big public mea culpa (and a book deal and TV interviews to go along with it). 

Wow, that rant from Solo is something else. Sore loser, much? Have just watched some of the women's match between Australia and Brazil which we lost after two rounds of extra time and a shoot-out, and I would hope nobody in our team carries on like that.

• Love 6

Disgusting is the kindest word for Hope Solo. As if her bad attitude and worse temper aren't bad enough, put her arrogance, her sense of entitlement and her cheap shots at the Swedish team in the mix and she's become a full-fledged liability that the U.S. team neither needs nor deserves. The sooner Solo is solo, as in utterly, completely and permanently kicked to the curb (no pun intended), the better.

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 11

Those of us who watched her compete on Dancing with the Stars know that she's like this even outside of soccer.  Her pro partner was Maksim Chmerkovskiy, and she drove him crazy with her diva behavior and constant arguing every time he tried to teach her something.  Their working relationship was extra toxic and affected everyone around them as well., so everyone -- viewers, the rest of the cast, and the pros -- all breathed a HUGE sigh of relief when she was finally eliminated.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6

I follow the men's game (World Cup, Euro Championships) and I have yet to hear anything that bad from the men. This summer at Euro 2016, zillionaire world famous Cristiano Ronaldo was mocked for complaining Iceland wouldn't allow Portugal to play their game after they drew 1-1 but his remark was mild compared to Solo's sour grapes rant.

• Love 2

I don't follow soccer/futbol at all, but I've watched a lot of basketball, which I think is somewhat similar in this instance. Some teams play better at a fast pace, while others are more competitive when play is slow. Forcing the other team to play at "your" tempo is a common (and smart) strategy.

The best example I can think of is the 1990 NCAA men's basketball championship. The "runnin' Rebels" of UNLV plastered Duke by racing up and down the court, and Duke just couldn't keep up. It's still the most lop-sided championship game in history. When the two teams met in the Final Four the next year, Coach K had learned his lesson. He had his players deliberately slow down the game,  protecting the ball and moving it around the court. They made it less about pure athleticism and more about strategy, and Duke prevailed.

I guess Hope Solo would call them "cowards", too?

If there are any Swedes reading this, she doesn't speak for me! 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

I really hope there is a player in development that can take over successfully for Hope. I want her gone. She is not what I want representing the USWNT

There wouldn't be a choice.  There may be some sports you can play at an Olympic level pushing 40, but I doubt soccer is one of them. Even David Beckham retired at 38, and she'd be older than that by next Olympics.

3 minutes ago, Kromm said:

There wouldn't be a choice.  There may be some sports you can play at an Olympic level pushing 40, but I doubt soccer is one of them. Even David Beckham retired at 38, and she'd be older than that by next Olympics.

Not a soccer expert, but I seem to recall that soccer goalies peak later than other players. I remember that being a topic when Tim Howard performed so well for the U.S. Men.

The other thing to keep in mind is Solo is one of the leaders of the U.S. Women's legal action for equal pay. (They are paid considerably less than the men's team even though they achieve significantly better results.) Getting rid of her now could look suspicious. If the team was ok with her being arrested for a domestic dispute with her nephew, it's hard to argue that some unsportsmanlike comments are the deal breaker.

The other irony of all this is Solo changed her gloves during penalty kicks, probably ice the kicker. 

20 hours ago, Bewitched said:

I hope we have a backup goalie ready.  I am tired of Solo and i hope the WNT is too.  

We have several keepers in their early 20's that all have the talent to be groomed into the next #1 once Solo is kicked to the curb. Right now the likely candidate to take over is Alyssa Naeher, who is a very solid keeper and IMO has performed better than Solo in NWSL play this year. If Ellis (or whoever is coach next year) decides to move on from Solo, I'd feel very confident with Naeher as the starter.

48 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

The other irony of all this is Solo changed her gloves during penalty kicks, probably ice the kicker. 

I thought it was gamesmanship at first, but the velcro strap on one of her gloves broke, so she had to change them out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, photo fox said:

The best example I can think of is the 1990 NCAA men's basketball championship. The "runnin' Rebels" of UNLV plastered Duke by racing up and down the court, and Duke just couldn't keep up. It's still the most lop-sided championship game in history. When the two teams met in the Final Four the next year, Coach K had learned his lesson. He had his players deliberately slow down the game,  protecting the ball and moving it around the court. They made it less about pure athleticism and more about strategy, and Duke prevailed.

Yep.  I remember seeing those two games (Duke hater here, lol) and I couldn't believe that UNLV didn't wise up to Duke's strategy.   

• Love 1

The other thing to keep in mind is Solo is one of the leaders of the U.S. Women's legal action for equal pay. (They are paid considerably less than the men's team even though they achieve significantly better results.) Getting rid of her now could look suspicious. If the team was ok with her being arrested for a domestic dispute with her nephew, it's hard to argue that some unsportsmanlike comments are the deal breaker.

I think this would actually make US Soccer more likely to want to get rid of her, not less.

(BTW, the reason the USWNT is paid less than the men's is the collective bargaining agreement they approved, which guaranteed them a lot of benefits, like severance pay if they got kicked off the team, not available to the players on the men's team.  Plus, while they win a lot more, they actually bring in far less income to US Soccer when you compare World Cup cycles.  But that's a discussion for a different forum.)

The 'cowards' are in the Olympic final now so suck it Hope Solo.

eta, the same player made the winning penalty in this game against Brazil as against the US, I can't begin to imagine how that must feel.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, mehtotheworld said:

So is anyone else watching Canada/Germany?

I am still shaking my head at Buchanan's decision to attempt a slide tackle from behind on the edge of the penalty box, with zero chance of getting close to the ball. She was miles away from making that tackle, and the German player was never going to score from where she was anyway.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

The 'cowards' are in the Olympic final now so suck it Hope Solo.

eta, the same player made the winning penalty in this game against Brazil as against the US, I can't begin to imagine how that must feel.

And I loved the sportsmanship and compassion those "cowards" displayed when so many of them hugged the distraught Brazilian player after the match.  Classy.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think this would actually make US Soccer more likely to want to get rid of her, not less.

(BTW, the reason the USWNT is paid less than the men's is the collective bargaining agreement they approved, which guaranteed them a lot of benefits, like severance pay if they got kicked off the team, not available to the players on the men's team.  Plus, while they win a lot more, they actually bring in far less income to US Soccer when you compare World Cup cycles.  But that's a discussion for a different forum.)

If it looks like retalation, then US Soccer could end up paying out more. I'm sure taking legal action against them is a major irritant for US Soccer, however, it also makes punishing Solo that much messier (and really they shouldn't punish any of the women for fighting for equal pay). If Solo gets fired I would expect her to try and make their lives hell. It's just her way. Considering how lax the team has been with Solo in the past I'm not convinced they'll try anything just yet. 

I'm not quite sure that I buy that sexism isn't at play at all in the contract issue. But as you said, that's a discussion for a different time.

1 hour ago, Superpole2000 said:

I am still shaking my head at Buchanan's decision to attempt a slide tackle from behind on the edge of the penalty box, with zero chance of getting close to the ball. She was miles away from making that tackle, and the German player was never going to score from where she was anyway.

Buchanan is always that reckless. I don't get why the journos slobber over her, because she's highly overrated.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

If it looks like retalation, then US Soccer could end up paying out more. I'm sure taking legal action against them is a major irritant for US Soccer, however, it also makes punishing Solo that much messier (and really they shouldn't punish any of the women for fighting for equal pay). If Solo gets fired I would expect her to try and make their lives hell. It's just her way. Considering how lax the team has been with Solo in the past I'm not convinced they'll try anything just yet. 

I'm not quite sure that I buy that sexism isn't at play at all in the contract issue. But as you said, that's a discussion for a different time.

Given all of the problems Hope Solo has caused them, I think they could make a pretty convincing case for dumping her without it looking like retaliation.  They can afford better lawyers.

• Love 3
On 8/17/2016 at 10:07 AM, proserpina65 said:

Given all of the problems Hope Solo has caused them, I think they could make a pretty convincing case for dumping her without it looking like retaliation.  They can afford better lawyers.

They don't even need to fire her outright. There are ways of removing a player from the team that are perfectly legal without running the risk of legal action from Solo.

And this might even be a moot point, because there are rumors that she is going to step away at the end of the year.

• Love 4

If Solo is going to step away at the end of the year, it's probably best to let her retire from the NT without any more drama. Good lord, the scandals with that one are so embarrassing.

I'm getting set to watch Brazil and Canada and I'm interested to see how each team fares when Brazil isn't afraid to "get fouled" at any sign of contact and Canada seems to be a bit more aggressive. Or am I just overstating my very simplistic impression? I usually just follow the USWNT. Anyway, I wouldn't want to be any team playing soccer against Brazil. Looking forward to an interesting game!