Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

• Start Topic

Someone help me with the timeline. Saw the episode where Rose gets her first boyfriend after Charlie’s  death( Arnie who is played by the actor who later plays Miles). 

Rose says she hasn’t ‘ you know’ since Charlie’s death 15 years ago.  Now I would swear that in a much later show she says Charlie’s only been gone a few years. The show where the film doubles exposes and Charlie appears to be in bed with Blanche. Blanche gets out her journal from 9 years prior and sees that she slept with a Chuck. 

Rose also says in either that episode or the one where Dorothy’s daughter gets married that she spent 51 years in Minnisota. Now didn’t  Rose supposedly move to Florida within a year  of Charlie’s death? Didn’t the first season of the show pretend the girls had only known each other a year or so at this point? 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Someone help me with the timeline. Saw the episode where Rose gets her first boyfriend after Charlie’s  death( Arnie who is okayed by the actor who later plays Miles). 

Rose says she hasn’t ‘ you know’ since Charlie’s death 15 years ago.  Now I would swear that in a much later show she says Charlie’s only been gone a few years. The show where the film doubles exposes and Charlie appears to be in bed with Blanche. Blanche gets out her journal from 9 years prior and sees that she slept with a Chuck. 

Rose also says in either that episode or the one where Dorothy’s daughter gets married that she spent 51 years in Minnisota. Now didn’t  Rose supposedly move to Florida within a year  of Charlie’s death? Didn’t the first season of the show pretend the girls had only known each other a year or so at this point? 

That 15 years since Charlie’s death was a one off in that episode only and really doesn’t work. Five years makes much more sense. Bearing in mind how fluid the show was with dates and ages, Rose could have married at around 18 and been widowed at 50 and been 55 when the series started, having been in Florida a few years already. If Charlie died 15 years before, when Rose was around 40, most of her kids would have still been school age and she wouldn’t have been moving to Miami without them. 

• Love 3

Ria, that was my thought also. 

I hate trying to figure out timelines and offsprings ages on this  show. You’d swear these GG had kids at 11 after the writers twisted their backstories into pretzels.

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Ria, that was my thought also. 

I hate trying to figure out timelines and offsprings ages on this  show. You’d swear these GG had kids at 11 after the writers twisted their backstories into pretzels.

I still can’t figure out how Blanche could have a 14 year old grandson in season 1. She was supposed to be around 50. So she became a grandmother at 36? She and Janet must both have been teen moms. 

Of course there’s also Dorothy saying she’s 55 when we know she was married for 38 years and divorced for approx 2 years. I guess she got married at 15. 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 3

One of my favorite scenes was just on:  Lucas is down on one knee, "proposing" to Dorothy, still just pretending to love each other.  Lucas: "Dorothy, will you....will you....." and Rose says "Oh I bet he is going to propose again!"  The double take Bea Arthur does, along with Leslie Nielson stammering a bit on the line.....just perfect.  

Bea Arthur could say more with one look on her face than most actors can say with a whole page of dialogue.

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 12

Another favorite scene:  Blanche is explaining to Back From the Dead George that she has had a few dates since he's been dead.  He is very understanding, then stammers out:  "H-H-How many men?"   Just the delivery is great!

There are waaay too many good lines but the actors who were in only one or two episodes deserve some props, too

• Love 10
On 2/26/2018 at 10:19 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

One of my favorite scenes was just on:  Lucas is down on one knee, "proposing" to Dorothy, still just pretending to love each other.  Lucas: "Dorothy, will you....will you....." and Rose says "Oh I bet he is going to propose again!"  The double take Bea Arthur does, along with Leslie Nielson stammering a bit on the line.....just perfect.  

Bea Arthur could say more with one look on her face than most actors can say with a whole page of dialogue.

Didn’t Rose say something about thinking he was going to ask her out again?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, link417 said:

Didn’t Rose say something about thinking he was going to ask her out again?

Yes you are right - she thought he was going to ask her out again, in my quote I was wrong and said he was going to propose again.  Sorry - but it is also worth noting the look on Sophia;s face at that moment.  She is like, "Really???"

• Love 1

In the episode where they thought Dorothy was switched at birth, it seems Gina was set up in an arranged marriage. Isn't she too old for an arranged marriage? Why wasn't it done when she was young? I always have these questions every time I see this episode.

• Love 1

Blanche's eulogy to Dorothy was so funny. Especially when she said, "I always felt safe having you in the house." She says that eulogy all while calmly eating a cookie. Blanche just didn't see the shade in her eulogy. 

Also loved when Blanche told Barbara Thorndyke that she knows what a metaphor is, cutting her off cause Barbara was just so smug with it. Then her example was priceless, "When I say men are blinded by my beauty. They're not really blinded. They get their sight back in a day or two."

• Love 10

I can't remember which season and episode this moment is from at 00:17 but Dorothy and Rose are sitting at the kitchen table with Blanche standing beside them. Rose has said something stupid and Dorothy asks Rose to hand her the newspaper. Rose says no, that Dorothy will just hit her with it and Dorothy says she won't. Rose passes her the paper, Dorothy passes it to Blanche, Blanche wallops Rose with it then drops it on the table. 

It's the pass of the paper and Blanche's body language that crack me up every time.

Edited by slf
  • Love 8

I agree the timelines and ages are wonky.  I read an interview with Bea and Rue where they said they thought the girls were supposed to be in their 60s, then it seemed like they aged down a lot, and then the ages went back up again.  Originally, Bea didn't want to do the show.  She thought it would be Maud and Vivian meet Sue Ann, and would be dumb.  Rue convinced her to give the show a try because Rue and Betty had switched characters, and changes were made to the Dorothy character.

One episode that focused on Rose seemed really strange to me.  A guy Rose had been seeing (who turned out to be married, but Rose didn't know that) died in her bed.  Rose had to tell his wife, and his wife was so nice to Rose, and perfectly fine with her husband cheating on her.  Her biggest problem seemed to be that she needed Rose to pull herself together and comfort her because her husband was dead.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, TigerLynx said:

One episode that focused on Rose seemed really strange to me.  A guy Rose had been seeing (who turned out to be married, but Rose didn't know that) died in her bed.  Rose had to tell his wife, and his wife was so nice to Rose, and perfectly fine with her husband cheating on her.  Her biggest problem seemed to be that she needed Rose to pull herself together and comfort her because her husband was dead.

That was a weird one, but it was a nice departure from the usual "blame the mistress but forgive the husband" crap we usually get in movies and TV. I can't remember if the woman said it wasn't the first time he'd cheated, so she was kind of just resigned to it, but that was the impression I got. It was odd, though. 

Interesting that Blanche was the oversexed one but isn't that two men. then, that died in bed with Rose? lol 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I can't remember if the woman said it wasn't the first time he'd cheated, so she was kind of just resigned to it, but that was the impression I got.

Oh, that wasn't just an impression -- she was well aware of Al's many dalliances, the first one of which was with the chambermaid on their honeymoon.  When Rose arrives, Mrs. Beatty thinks she's been dating Al, he dumped her, and now she's there to out him for revenge, so assures her she's heard it all before many, many times.  "He slept with everyone - secretaries, schoolteachers, babysitters, neighbors, friends.  One Easter, we gave our little boy some rabbits. They used to look at Al in amazement."

isn't that two men. then, that died in bed with Rose?

"They drop like flies around me!"

That's why she's afraid to sleep with Arnie on their trip, and why when she comes home she tells the others she slept with him, he died, she confessed to the sheriff how she kills men in bed, he said "Let's see, sleep with me," so she did, and he died.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
On 4/28/2018 at 5:20 PM, TigerLynx said:

I agree the timelines and ages are wonky.  I read an interview with Bea and Rue where they said they thought the girls were supposed to be in their 60s, then it seemed like they aged down a lot, and then the ages went back up again.  Originally, Bea didn't want to do the show.  She thought it would be Maud and Vivian meet Sue Ann, and would be dumb.  Rue convinced her to give the show a try because Rue and Betty had switched characters, and changes were made to the Dorothy character.

My issue with that episode is that Rose never tells the woman that she (Rose) didn't know that Al was married. It bothered me that Al's wife always thought that Rose was just one of those "other women" when I feel like Rose really got crapped on by Al, as well.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

My issue with that episode is that Rose never tells the woman that she (Rose) didn't know that Al was married. It bothered me that Al's wife always thought that Rose was just one of those "other women" when I feel like Rose really got crapped on by Al, as well.

Why should she? The woman was mourning her husband, she clearly didn’t care about Al’s affairs, and she didn’t even seem irritated at Rose throughout the whole thing. Telling her Rose didn’t know Al was married would’ve been all about Rose’s ego, and not something to dump on a recently widowed woman. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Telling her Rose didn’t know Al was married would’ve been all about Rose’s ego, and not something to dump on a recently widowed woman. 

That's what I imagine Rose was thinking. That it wasn't about her, it was about this grieving widow. It wouldn't make a lick of difference to the woman who'd just lost her husband so Rose just kept quite and let the woman grieve. I actually like that Rose didn't try to explain. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, ZuluQueenOfDwarves said:

Why should she? The woman was mourning her husband, she clearly didn’t care about Al’s affairs, and she didn’t even seem irritated at Rose throughout the whole thing. Telling her Rose didn’t know Al was married would’ve been all about Rose’s ego, and not something to dump on a recently widowed woman. 

Oh I'm not saying during the whole mourning thing, but when she asked Rose how long she had been seeing Al and Rose responded "about a month", I almost always expect her to say, "and I didn't know he was married" or something to that effect.  

• Love 3
(edited)

The episode where Dorothy and the girls go to her goddaughter's wedding.  So many questions!  Why does the goddaughter refer to all the GG's as "Aunt"?  This girl appears to be in her 20s, and presumably was baptized as an infant (I'm guessing, since Dorothy was Catholic and usually Catholic babies are baptized within a few months of birth).  Blanche and Rose weren't in Dorothy's life 20+ years ago, so why on earth is the girl now calling them "Aunt Blanche" and "Aunt Rose"?  Are we supposed to believe that she magically got close to them via her relationship with Dorothy?  And why on earth were Blanche and Rose invited to the wedding anyway?  I can understand Sophia being there as a courtesy as the bride's godmother's mother, but there's no reason for Rose & Blanche to be here.  And magically, Mr. Mangiacavallo, the groom's grandfather, just happens to be Sophia's old boyfriend from the old country? Gimme a break.  And where the hell were the bride's parents in all this?  Presumably Dorothy was asked to be godmother because of some close relationship to the bride's parents, right?  Yet they are nowhere to be seen, nor are they mentioned.  Help, my head is spinning.

Edited by OhSarah69
  • Love 10

Does anybody else wonder who all the people are at GG events?  When Dorothy was going to re-marry Stan, the lanai was filled and when she married Lucas the church was packed, yet we never really see them interacting with all that many people.  I understand the seats had to be filled, but suddenly all these "friends" appear.  Other shows do this, too, I know.  And how did Derek (is that his name -- I'm drawing a blank) know Blanche was having a Midnight Madness party?  Not that any of this spoils my enjoyment, but when you've seen every episode so often you can recite every line, the mind does focus on other things occasionally.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, schnauzergirl said:

Does anybody else wonder who all the people are at GG events?  When Dorothy was going to re-marry Stan, the lanai was filled and when she married Lucas the church was packed, yet we never really see them interacting with all that many people.  I understand the seats had to be filled, but suddenly all these "friends" appear.  Other shows do this, too, I know.  And how did Derek (is that his name -- I'm drawing a blank) know Blanche was having a Midnight Madness party?  Not that any of this spoils my enjoyment, but when you've seen every episode so often you can recite every line, the mind does focus on other things occasionally.

I agree. Contrarily, we never see the attendees we should be seeing - the extended family members. When Blanche was getting married in the pilot, where were her children and grandchildren, for example? When Dorothy’s brother Phil died, where were his children and why was the funeral in Miami? 

• Love 4
On 5/28/2018 at 2:45 PM, MoistestCake said:

There's a bus of Greek sailors asking how many drachmas there are in 8 dollars. (what I don't know is how they knew where she lived, surely her address wasn't in the ad). 

I'm a millienial but old enough to recall being able to find someone's address in the phonebook. :D

• LOL 1
On 04/06/2018 at 3:58 AM, link417 said:

I'm a millienial but old enough to recall being able to find someone's address in the phonebook. :D

I imagine the ad in the paper said "willing to do any job, big or small, $8/h. Dorothy 555-GOLD."

To use a phonebook you'd need the last name, it would be very impractical to look for the number or Dorothy among 400,000 people in Miami... 

But I fanwanked this one by assuming the people called the number and another girl gave the address. That's how Toto (just Toto), the Greeks and anyone else knew where to go. 

(overthinking it am I?) 

• Love 1

While we're thinking it to death ...

So let's say the ad had Dorothy's name and phone number (and the willing to do anything for $8/hr text).  Creepy Toto guy, the busload of Greek sailors, and the "I'll give you four dollars" guy saw the ad, and called the house asking for Dorothy.  All three times, one of the others answered when Dorothy wasn't in, so they asked to take a message.  The callers all indicated they were responding to her newspaper ad.  The roommate, instead of offering to leave a message, said Dorothy will be back in X time, so come on over to [address] and talk to her then. 

Problems?  On one hand, this works if Rose answered each time, because she's Rose, but then on the other, when she said - in response to Dorothy accusing her of failing to place the ad - "Six people called when you were out," she'd have followed that up with something like "and I set it all up; they'll be here any minute" and she didn't.  Okay, let's say it was someone other than Rose.  Why would anyone else give out the address rather than simply taking a message?  Regardless of who answered, why would whomever called on behalf of the Greek sailors not ask then how many drachma there are in eight dollars, rather than that being a surprise?

So, okay, let's say the address wasn't in the ad and no one gave it out over the phone.  Yes, while most owners of phone numbers were listed in the phone book then (you could still opt out, it just wasn't as common), that was by the last name of the person whose name the number was in.  So, even if Dorothy included her last name in the ad, that still doesn't work -- with one line for the whole house, with that house owned by Blanche dating back to before they moved in, her Blanche's name is presumably on the utilities and the roomies just pay her their share each month, so "Zbornak, Dorothy" wouldn't have appeared in the phone book (similar to how looking up a wife's name wouldn't yield a listing back then, if the phone was in the husband's name, but at least there you had the shared last name and maybe even the husband's first name to figure it out, yep, that's it).

Well, then, let's say the address was in the ad.  Thus, the interested guys just showed up.

Problems?  Even in the '80s, who the hell published their address (Rose was just copying what Dorothy had asked her to post - she simply did so in the wrong category - so the answer isn't just, duh, Dimwit Rose) in the paper (at least in Miami rather than Mayberry)?

But, if the address wasn't in the ad, and Rose didn't say she'd fielded calls and invited people over, why wasn't Dorothy "how the hell did you get here?" instead of, "I didn't expect people to actually come here; I just figured that I would be going to them" when folks showed up?

So, despite all logic - shocking on this show, I know - to Dorothy it's not odd that they have her address. 

• Love 1

Is it me or in all the scenes where we see Stan's place, he seems to still be living in a hotel room. Even after he had clearly moved to Miami?

How could Stan and Dorothy afford a honeymoon to Miami and buy land there? They couldn't afford a TV. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

I imagine the ad in the paper said "willing to do any job, big or small, $8/h. Dorothy 555-GOLD."

To use a phonebook you'd need the last name, it would be very impractical to look for the number or Dorothy among 400,000 people in Miami... 

But I fanwanked this one by assuming the people called the number and another girl gave the address. That's how Toto (just Toto), the Greeks and anyone else knew where to go. 

(overthinking it am I?) 

In the back of our phone book, you could do a sort of reverse look up.  In the front, you could look up numbers by their names but in the back, the phone numbers were listed and you could look up name and address that way.

• Love 1
Just now, BlancheDevoreaux said:

In the back of our phone book, you could do a sort of reverse look up.  In the front, you could look up numbers by their names but in the back, the phone numbers were listed and you could look up name and address that way.

In that case you have solved the mystery. Or at least what I thought was a mystery. ☺ 

11 minutes ago, MoistestCake said:

Is it me or in all the scenes where we see Stan's place, he seems to still be living in a hotel room. Even after he had clearly moved to Miami?

How could Stan and Dorothy afford a honeymoon to Miami and buy land there? They couldn't afford a TV. 

MIght be another one to chalk up to "plot contrivances!".

(edited)

Another one that bothers me is when Dorothy thinks Rose whispered that "Clayton is a hobo". There's no way Rose would have said homo, she can barely say 'sex' out loud. She'd have used something less offensive or impolite, maybe homosexual, or gay, or prefers dating men, none of which can be confused with hobo. 

Edited by MoistestCake
2 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

Another one that bothers me is when Dorothy thinks Rose whispered that "Clayton is a hobo". There's no way Rose would have said homo, she can barely say 'sex' out loud. She'd have used something less offensive or impolite, maybe homosexual, or gay, or prefers dating men, none of which can be confused with hobo. 

I always thought it was ridiculous, not to mention immature and plain wrong, for Clayton to blurt out the lie that he and Rose slept together. Who does something like this? And Clayton was otherwise a decent guy. It wasn’t even funny. I think the writers could have come up with something funny that made more sense. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

I buy her saying "homo" and not meaning any offense by it; this was a time when many people, particularly of her age, not familiar with LGBT folks thought of "homo" simply as a shortened version of homosexual rather than understanding it's a slur (like how, ten or so years ago, you could hear a main, "good guy" character on prime time [Olivia Benson, L&O: SVU] use the word "tranny" in the midst of arguing for the rights and respects due transgender people, because to her - and the writers - it was an abbreviation rather than a slur).

I think it's more likely she'd have said gay than homosexual/homo, and obviously they took her down the latter route instead for the joke.  But I do find it believable she'd have said homo as easily as she'd have said homosexual.

• Love 4

I'm watching Grab That Dough and, while I like it a lot, it always raises a few questions/thoughts.  The Girls seem to always choose airlines that lose luggage.  You'd think they'd switch to carry-on only after a while.  Also, I'm guessing that hotels in the 80s didn't take down flight information to monitor if their customers would be delayed, or have a policy in place for anyone coming in on a red-eye flight, since that clerk sold their rooms due to it being after the 3 am deadline.  And, finally, I'm really curious how the Girls were able to fly home after their purses were stolen.  Sophia found the tickets to the gameshow in her bra but there's no indication that their airplane tickets were also safely hidden there (or in a pocket or anything).  It's not a big deal, since I don't want them to get stranded in LA, but it always stands out.

• Love 2
On 6/10/2018 at 6:53 AM, scarynikki12 said:

I'm watching Grab That Dough and, while I like it a lot, it always raises a few questions/thoughts.  The Girls seem to always choose airlines that lose luggage.  You'd think they'd switch to carry-on only after a while.  Also, I'm guessing that hotels in the 80s didn't take down flight information to monitor if their customers would be delayed, or have a policy in place for anyone coming in on a red-eye flight, since that clerk sold their rooms due to it being after the 3 am deadline.  And, finally, I'm really curious how the Girls were able to fly home after their purses were stolen.  Sophia found the tickets to the gameshow in her bra but there's no indication that their airplane tickets were also safely hidden there (or in a pocket or anything).  It's not a big deal, since I don't want them to get stranded in LA, but it always stands out.

I like the episode but as always there are things that make no sense. If Sophia gave an old address (as in 65+ pre war old ) in Sicily, under a bridge no less, how did the tickets find her in Miami? And if the tickets were for the next day, it’s hard to believe there wasn’t a “confirm by” date or they lost their spot. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 11/04/2017 at 7:41 PM, qtpye said:

They could had a story, that Dorothy just wanted to closer to kids/grandkids and that would be a perfectly legitimate reason for her to move out.  I think they wanted to give the character a romantic send off with a handsome silver fox to make for all those "Dorothy is lonely and unattractive jokes".  That wedding dress is the stuff of nightmares, though.

I think that despite the awful dress, the fact that Dorothy was the one who got married to a lovely caring handsome man after 7 years of jokes at her expense was a great goodbye for her character. 

Edited by MoistestCake
  • Love 15

That she married a guy she'd known for about five minutes, in what started out as a joke, diminishes that somewhat for me.  Sure, they're old, but not ancient; they're not going to drop dead in less time than it would take them to figure out they like each other and have good sex, but don't actually want to be married.  It's not like she can't come back home, but she changed her whole life for a man she barely knew.  That's not exactly the happy ending I want for Dorothy.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

That she married a guy she'd known for about five minutes, in what started out as a joke, diminishes that somewhat for me.  Sure, they're old, but not ancient; they're not going to drop dead in less time than it would take them to figure out they like each other and have good sex, but don't actually want to be married.  It's not like she can't come back home, but she changed her whole life for a man she barely knew.  That's not exactly the happy ending I want for Dorothy.

Life is short and one never knows when the time comes and their number is up. 

• Love 2

I always think the prolonged “goodbye” scene in the finale is overdone. Dorothy was moving, not dying. No reason why they couldn’t visit back and forth and talk on the phone. I hate Rose, Blanche and Sophia clinging to each other and crying. Way too over the top. 

And why did Rose think she needed to move out anyway? And the day of the wedding no less. Just because she wouldn’t be related? Very contrived and made Rose seem shallow. 

• Love 1

In the Episode "The Way We Met" the Cashier rang the Windex up twice. Once when Dorothy & Blanche were arguing about the price of loin of pork, and in the middle of the argument you see the cashier set it down, then picks it back up again. It seems to me that the actress forgot when to actually ring it up cause she looked lost as she was fiddling around trying to find what object to grab and ring up. 

The Father Leahy episode Father Leahy told Blanche that Dorothy didn't know that he was a priest but when he speaks to Dorothy he said he assumed she knew that he was a priest. 

2 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

The Father Leahy episode Father Leahy told Blanche that Dorothy didn't know that he was a priest but when he speaks to Dorothy he said he assumed she knew that he was a priest. 

And those two conversations are just moments apart!  Sloppy writing; he could have just realized, "Oh, she must not know; she's never seen me in cleric's clothes" when Blanche said Dorothy never mentioned he was a priest.

When that episode is mentioned, I tend to think first of Rose's "He's a priest, isn't he?" bumbling conversation, and I don't know why, because Blanche making an idiot out of herself at the door is even better.

"You're the hunk?  I mean forgive me, Father.  That is, forgive my language, not in your official capacity.  I'm not even a Catholic; I'm a Baptist and you can't forgive us Baptists.  Sweet Jesus, why am I babbling?  I meant that in all due reverence, I never take the Lord's name in vain.  God, now I'm lying to a priest."

• Love 6