Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Picture It. PTer. Today.

• Start Topic

One of my absolute favorite moments in the entire series is in Stand By Your Man when Dorothy tells Rose about her childhood pet - a paper bird:

Bea Arthur had fantastic line deliveries in general but she really killed it with this story; the way she dropped her voice on "dead" cracks me up every time. "Someone used it to restart the pilot light." That's just so perfect because it's believable. 

Kudos to Sophia's, "they're very clean!" and the way Rose's eyes widen when she asks, "how does a paper bird die?"

• Love 12

I have a question for you GG aficionados. MeTV sent an email today with a quiz to see if you could guess the sitcom from the bathroom picture. One of the correct answers was the GG bathroom. I haven't seen every episode, but I never remember seeing a bathroom in their house. That one stumped me. When did they show a bathroom?

I can think of two:  the large, blue-tiled bathroom that Dorothy and Rose renovated, and the smaller white/gray? bathroom where Max accidentally joined Dorothy in the shower.  During the series I think they all referenced having a separate bathroom attached to their bedrooms (or entered their room through a doorway inferred to be a bathroom), but those are the only two I can remember seeing.

35 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It was the blue tiled bathroom and it was HUGE!

It is a ridiculously-large bathroom!  That's the one where Dorothy and Rose decided to install the toilet themselves, and then got the bug to do all sorts of repairs and renovations in there.  Hijinks ensued, of course.

• Love 1

Now I'm trying to remember all of the non-house bathrooms that appeared in the series:

• The bathroom at the Mangiacavallo wedding.
  • The bathroom at the Rusty Anchor.
  • The bathroom at the party Rose attended with Isaac Newton.
  • The bathroom the girls had to share with the boys on their tropical vacation.

Are there any others?  Yes, I know I need a life.

• Love 2

I’m watching In A Bed of Rose’s and my god is Blanche on point in this episode. The way she tells her stories is hysterical. “Totally dead, ma’am! Crunch crunch” and the “and you’re the sister” tale from Dallas, or one of those soaps, they’re all the same. 

• Love 5
On 12/2/2017 at 0:10 AM, langway said:

I’m watching In A Bed of Rose’s and my god is Blanche on point in this episode. The way she tells her stories is hysterical. “Totally dead, ma’am! Crunch crunch” and the “and you’re the sister” tale from Dallas, or one of those soaps, they’re all the same. 

I know some people don't enjoy the first season as much as the later years but I always loved that the characterizations for the more part were more grounded and less sitcom-y. Like compare how Blanche talks about her husband's death in season to how it comes when Blanche talks about getting her toes done while George was in a coma in that two parter with Dorothy's sickness.

• Love 2
On 3/20/2017 at 7:10 PM, BitterApple said:

Yes! I never thought Dorothy was unattractive. Whenever the women were dressed in fancy gowns she looked the best because her height carried the clothing so much better. It annoyed me how she was always the punching bag for the ugly jokes. 

I actually liked in later seasons that Dorothy's hair grew out some and was styled nicely.. and her outfits improved somewhat.

Blanche had the fun clothes and the fun 80s earrings, and had the best pajamas out of all the women.

Rose dressed more conservative, though I thought her evening dresses were more elegant then her everyday outfits. 

• Love 1

I always thought Dorothy's first season clothes were a tad better and weren't as ridiculous looking during the later seasons. Shirt, sweater over it and slacks. Her hair during the middle seasons were nice but the last season her hair looked like a helmet. 

I liked Blanche's hair during the later seasons. 

Rose was the undercover queen of shade wasn't she lol? Some examples:

Dorothy: Everybody heard on the radio that some anonymous Ma was complaining that her dependent daughter Dorothy doesn't have a life of her own.

Sophia: What, you think you're the only gray-haired spinster substitute teacher named Dorothy wasting her life away in Miami?

Rose: I'm sorry, Sophia, but in Dorothy's defense, that sure does sound a lot like her.

Blanche was telling a story about a guy wanting to see her in a backless dress and Rose asked Blanche what was she doing in lady's petite lol. The shade, the shade of it all.

Dorothy: Maybe you weren't, Rose, but two weeks from now, I intend to be sitting in front of Old Blue Eyes himself, live, in-person, middle-aged spread and all. 

Rose: Dorothy, you can take off a few pounds by then if you put your mind to it. 

Rose: Could you skip the innocent part Blanche? The show starts in two hours. 

Sophia, Dorothy, and Blanche threw shade in your face but Rose disguised hers by being naive. I really think that Rose would win if she was to fight them. Rose has a temper on her plus she had to transfer schools because of a "field hockey incident" plus she dropped a guy and kneed him in his safe deposit box and used a gun. 

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 7

Rose was definitely a stealth badass. I think she was naïve, but not quite as naïve as she seemed. It was so much better when she threw the shade because it would totally blindside the others. 

I recently watched the ep were Rose had Dorothy and Blanche on her show as a lesbian couple. They were about to walk out when she threatened them with endless stories from St. Olaf. So she knows how much those stories annoy them and she tells them anyway. She's a lot more shrewd then they give her credit for. 

For the record, Rose was my favorite. 

• Love 3

Rose could have a mean streak. The episode where Rose and Dorothy refuse to believe Blanche when she denies sleeping with the politician, Blanche calls them her best friends and Rose nastily replies “how do we know you’re not lying about that?” Really an uncalled for comment. 

• Love 3

The way Rose talked about Michael when Bridgette and Michael slept together. She told Dorothy that nobody will get hurt if Dorothy doesn't be her bowling partner. Her competitive edge when she and Blanche were Two Merry Widows, she told Blanche she better break out into "Singing in the Rain" if she ends up in a puddle. Also willing to break the rules so Billy can play football and the way she was coaching the boys.

I do like how the show was consistent with Rose's competitive edge.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 1

One of my favorite Rose zingers was - When Blanche's brother Clayton came to visit, he was trying to figure out how to tell Blanche he was gay, and instead ended up telling her he had slept with Rose.  Rose was telling Clayton he wasn't giving Blanche enough credit, that she could be a kind and understanding person, when Blanche came in and told Rose, "Get away from my baby brother, you tramp hussy," or something like that, and without missing a beat, Rose turns to Clayton and says, "Then at other times she can be a real bitch."  Betty White's delivery of that line was perfect.

• Love 5
On 1/1/2018 at 4:55 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Not to mention Rose had a competitive streak a mile wide. It really showed in the bowling tournament, the dance marathon and the game show (Grab That Dough & Jeopardy) episodes, just for starters. 

"She doesn't need that on her mantle!  SHE'S on her mantle!!!!"

• Love 4

I really think that Rose would win if she was to fight them

Hell, she even frightened Dorthy when she crushed the glass cups in her hand when they were discussing if Miles preferred another woman's cupcakes to Rose's...

One of my favorite Rose comebacks was "Not tonight"?, the third joke seen in this clip (the other 2 are also pretty funny as well):

And this was probably one of my favorite Rose-as-a-badass moments:

• Love 8

I loved the scene with the bear. Rose may not be book smart, or terribly worldly but she is shrewd and knows exactly when to play up her Dumb Blonde or Sweet Rose role. I think the jabs work so much better from her because you don't really expect them.

• Love 6

I remember Betty White once saying that Rue took Blanche to places she could never take Blanche.. and that made me think about how Betty would have played Blanche.. would she have played her more like she played Sue Ann Nevins.. or would she have put a different spin on Blanche?  I also wonder how Rue would have played Rose... more like she played Vivian or would she have tried to put a different spin on the character (I know Rue said she couldn't really get a handle on the character of Rose when she read for it.).

• Love 5
On 1/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, ShadowSixx said:

The way Rose talked about Michael when Bridgette and Michael slept together.

Seriously. As mean as Dorothy could be about how dumb Rose was, she only got really pissed off because Rose said Michael was a loser who seduced Bridget. Blanche being on the sidelines trying to keep things from escalating always cracks me up:

Rose: "He doesn't even have a job!"
Blanche: "Well, neither does Henry Kissinger, but he's still very highly regarded."

• Love 3

The Forgive Me, Father episode where Dorothy has a crush on Father Leahy, when Rose said that maybe Leahy just doesn't like her and Dorothy fires back that Rose looks fat, the way Rose looks at Dorothy after cracks me up but also looks like Rose was ready to just knock Dorothy out.

• Love 1

The episode I liked Rose the least in was the one where she made “beach friends”, disrupted the household with her late night comings and going and moved out with barely a goodbye. Only when stuck with those two horrible roommates did she realize her mistake. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ria said:

The episode I liked Rose the least in was the one where she made “beach friends”, disrupted the household with her late night comings and going and moved out with barely a goodbye. Only when stuck with those two horrible roommates did she realize her mistake. 

Oh, for me, it was the co-worker she kept trying to win over even though he'd made it clear many times that he couldn't stand her and didn't want any part of a "buddy-buddy" workplace relationship with her. She just kept at it until he finally promised to be her BFF at work if she in turn promised to leave him the hell alone. She never did get that she was guilty of harassing him and was lucky that she hadn't been sent on a one-way trip to HR for her inability to take "NO" for an answer.

• Love 6

I know some people don't enjoy the first season as much as the later years but I always loved that the characterizations for the more part were more grounded and less sitcom-y.

I am just the opposite. I enjoy the first four seasons more than the later seasons. When Dorothy is diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, that's when my interest in the show takes a downturn.

• Love 2

It was also crappy of Rose to call the city inspector about the hot tub. But, that episode is my favorite. Just gold from beginning to end. Right out of the gate we get one of the several throughout the series' beastiality jokes. Rose being traced to the same brother and sister. Rose saying Blanche could end up living in a shoe! (damn it Rose!) Mexican err sorry, Hispanic jumping beans, Dorothy trying to break into her mother's box, another cringey animal joke about Sal loving the dog because he was always sticking his nose where it didn't belong. Them voting out Dorothy is one of my favorite scenes of the series. Dorothy.... Dorothy.... Dorothy..... dorothy... Bahaha! We all voted for you! Blanche finally conceding and making them part owners, while Dorothy and Sophia swap insults while talking about how real their love is. Sophia planning her garden since she is now a landowner. "Gonna raise me some rabbits as big as your head!"  And the sweet ending with Dorothy recording the message about how Sophia was a pioneer and the final "Oh come here you tramp!" And they hug. Aww. I just love that episode. Haha.. Sorry, went on a bit of a ramble there. 

• Love 5

Them voting out Dorothy is one of my favorite scenes of the series. Dorothy.... Dorothy.... Dorothy..... dorothy... Bahaha!

Mine too.

"We'll do what they do in Russia. We'll vote!" (Funny enough, just as valid today as when the episode came out ;)

• Love 4

In the episode where Miles turns out to be Nicholas Carbone and Blanche attempted to return dress that she wore, Blanche says in order to pay for the dress a rent increase goes into effect less than 24 hours with the exception of Sophia. Correct me if I'm wrong but landlords have to give more advanced notices than that? Rose and Dorothy wouldn't have to pay the increased rent that Blanche is planning on increasing.

I really love the coziness of the show: the girls sitting around the kitchen table or talking in the living room or the bedrooms. There’s just something homey about it. 

• Love 7
22 hours ago, Ria said:

I really love the coziness of the show: the girls sitting around the kitchen table or talking in the living room or the bedrooms. There’s just something homey about it. 

Me too.  I don't really care for the main plot of The Days and Nights of Sophia Patrillo, but the B plot with the girls all just lounging around in the pajamas on a rainy day telling personal stories was so wonderful.

• Love 4
19 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

Me too.  I don't really care for the main plot of The Days and Nights of Sophia Patrillo, but the B plot with the girls all just lounging around in the pajamas on a rainy day telling personal stories was so wonderful.

I had forgotten that it was raining, which explains why the ladies had planned to tackle a lot of household chores that day while Sophia was out buying a nectarine.  They just never got around to getting anything accomplished.

But the whole thing didn't make sense to me.  How would they not know what Sophia does with herself all day, particularly that she volunteers at the local hospital? Where do they think she goes that it takes her all day to buy one nectarine?

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3

Actually, it was raining.

The episode made sense to me. They just assumed she didn't do much, what her being old (ie, taking her a whole day just to buy a nectarine), when it was a nice juxtaposition to see her living and have a full days worth of stuff going on, while they, the younger ones, did nothing but sit at home and eat and gab. Not that there is anything wrong with how the other three chose to spend a rainy day ;)

Edited by BBHN
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, BBHN said:

The episode made sense to me. They just assumed she didn't do much, what her being old (ie, taking her a whole day just to buy a nectarine), when it was a nice juxtaposition to see her living and have a full days worth of stuff going on, while they, the younger ones, did nothing but sit at home and eat and gab. Not that there is anything wrong with how the other three chose to spend a rainy day ;)

I agree. But wasn’t that the episode that had one of the most egregious age errors? Dorothy’s grandmother went into politics in her ‘90s working for Eisenhower’s campaign  while in the next sentence Dorothy says she was six when her grandmother was in her 90’s? Dorothy was six in 1953?  

• Love 4

That, and wasn't there a flashback where her grandmother was still alive while Dorothy was at least in her late teens/early 20s, no? With Bea playing the role of the grandmother...

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, BBHN said:

That, and wasn't there a flashback where her grandmother was still alive while Dorothy was at least in her late teens/early 20s, no? With Bea playing the role of the grandmother...

Yes. I think Dorothy was about the right age in that episode. But then there’s another episode where Sophia is talking about a night in 1935 and says Dorothy was conceived that night. Which makes being married 38 years and divorced for two by 1985 a bit hard. 

• Love 2

Age wise she could have been. But it depends on which story is true. She couldn’t logically have been in her 90s when Dorothy was 6 regardless of what Dorothy said. She would more likely have been in her 70s or maybe 80s at most when Dorothy was in her 20s. 

12 hours ago, BBHN said:

But how would Dorothy in particular not have known what her own mother did all day, especially the volunteer work at the hospital (where Rose also volunteered)?  She'd have been in for one hell of a surprise if the hospital called one day because Sophia didn't show up for her scheduled volunteer shift!  And seriously, Sophia is at an age where it takes her all day to buy one nectarine at the supermarket, a task that would take anyone else an hour tops even getting there and back by bus?  She's elderly, not dead!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

But how would Dorothy in particular not have known what her own mother did all day, especially the volunteer work at the hospital (where Rose also volunteered)?  She'd have been in for one hell of a surprise if the hospital called one day because Sophia didn't show up for her scheduled volunteer shift!  And seriously, Sophia is at an age where it takes her all day to buy one nectarine at the supermarket, a task that would take anyone else an hour tops even getting there and back by bus?  She's elderly, not dead!

This is the same Dorothy that didn’t know that her mother and aunt Angela hadn’t spoken in 30 years. Not sure how she could have missed that. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ria said:

This is the same Dorothy that didn’t know that her mother and aunt Angela hadn’t spoken in 30 years. Not sure how she could have missed that. 

You have a point there.  She didn't even know that Sophia had gotten herself a part-time job at a fast-food restaurant until after Sophia had started working there, and she went ballistic when she found out.  You'd think that someone who was supposedly that strict with Sophia would have kept better tabs on her.

• Love 4

But how would Dorothy in particular not have known what her own mother did all day, especially the volunteer work at the hospital (where Rose also volunteered)?

Do we even know this is the same hospital? This is the GG, after all ;)

She'd have been in for one hell of a surprise if the hospital called one day because Sophia didn't show up for her scheduled volunteer shift! 

Well, they all would have, since they all assumed Sophia didn't do much that day anyhow.

And seriously, Sophia is at an age where it takes her all day to buy one nectarine at the supermarket, a task that would take anyone else an hour tops even getting there and back by bus?  She's elderly, not dead!

But that was kind of the point of the episode. They all assumed she needed a hobby, she just didn't have the same energy she used to have, etc. And yet here she was, doing all those other things, while the other GGs weren't doing much of anything.

You'd think that someone who was supposedly that strict with Sophia would have kept better tabs on her.

Nobody can really keep tabs on Sophia. She's cagey, like a panther, but when the time is right, she pounces ;)

Again, I really had no problems with that episode.

• Love 5