Type keyword(s) to search

Artistic Gymnastics: Stick the Landing!

1 hour ago, chitowngirl said:

<small, shallow voice> I hate Aly Raisman's hair bun. Always have. Don't know why.

Aly and Gabby both were wearing it like that this olympics and it's just bad. It looks like a horn growing right out of the top of their heads. I used to have to wear my hair in a bun when I twirled baton and I had super thick hair down to my butt. Pony tail, braid the hair and bun on the back of the crown of the head, not smack-dab in the center of the top of your head. Gabby's looked much better in the little of the team finals I saw before my power went out for a couple of hours. 

• Love 2

My dad who knows nothing about gymnastics thinks Al and Tim are horrible and is not sure why Nastia is even in the booth since she never talks.

i totally agree about the live stream commentary I've learned so much from Courtney and Jon. I love how they ask each other questions.  My only minor gripe is I wish Jon wasn't so defensive of the men's team. I understand he's friends with all of them and the coach is college coach so that's probably why. I would love to know his opinion on how he thinks they could improve the program. That would be risky for him since I know he wants to try for Worlds 2017.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1

My perfect podium!

So happy for Aly: it was all worth it!

The only good thing about Aliya's floor is her arms.... damn i could watch her just walking around and move her arms in all kinds of ways (which to be honest half of her routine was lol)

Also I feel bad for Nastia. She is obviously knowledgeable and could say a lot more about what was happening and explain a thing or two, but she is being constantly shut up and talked over... How she didn't slap the ef out of everyone there is beyond me...

• Love 5

Congrats to Simone and Aly! You were both so awesome!

Seda's floor routine was painful. I was worried she'd end up with something broken before it she finished.

Yes, Tim, thanks for remind us who the last girls who went 1-2 when one of those girls is one of your co-announcers.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Anyone shocked at how old and out of it Bela looked in the stands? Maybe Marta had to take over because he's not all there anymore? 

On the pre-Olympics special they did about the ranch he said he was happy just feeding the chickens every day.

Minority opinion, but I thought tonight was the first time the NBC commentators did a decent job. Tim was actually informative, Nastia actually got to talk, and Al actually didn't  say anything that had me shouting "Shut up, Al!" at the TV. I know it won't last.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

Aliya Mustafina has gorgeous eyes. Wow. I saw on the live feed that when Simone got off the floor Aliya got up immediately to congratulate her. But of course NBC cuts that out of the prime time. 

Anyone shocked at how old and out of it Bela looked in the stands? Maybe Marta had to take over because he's not all there anymore? 

It's the first time I've seen him in I don't know how long and  he seems so much older and thinner that it gave me a start. 

The American ladies moved me to tears, I still thought it was exciting even though these were the results that most people were expecting. The FX was a treat to watch and I'm really proud of the ladies. I was happy for Rebeca too for having such a crowd pleasing program. 

Gabby not putting her hand over her heart wasn't a big deal to me and I disagree with the idea that she was trying to be deliberately disrespectful or something.

What I didn't exactly think was cool was how lackluster Gabby's reaction was to Simone and Aly doing well especially in comparison to the way the other American teammates reacted. The other teammates smiled and stood up and Gabby looked like she'd rather be anywhere else. I'm not saying that she doesn't have the right to be sad and disappointed and maybe even angry (I personally think the two per country rule is stupid and lame), but would it really have killed her to stand up with her teammates and clap after such terrific performances? I'm not talking about having her give some fake and breathless pageant queen reaction where somebody acts super happy that they've just lost, but I wonder if Gabby would have liked it if she'd been in the winning position again and Simone or Aly was just sitting down looking a little annoyed while the others are standing and at least pretending to be pleased for her? At first I thought that she just refused to stand the one time but then I realized that she was the same way with both Aly and Simone, so to me it felt pointed. I just personally can't imagine not wanting to stand up and cheer on my teammate unless I had some deep personal issue with said teammate and even then, I'd like to think that I'd be able to get over it for the sake of the spirit of the Olympics. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 19

I never put my hand over my heart during the anthem so I'm not going to get on anyone for not doing that.  As long as you're not talking over the whole thing what difference does it make?

But I agree with Gabby coming across petty for not standing.  That was the first thing I noticed when the camera panned over there.  She could barely crack a smile for her teammates.  It's one of those things where everyone knows how disappointed you are, and I feel for her, but you just don't show it in public.

Aly's first tumbling pass and Simone's ending on the floor took my breath away.

• Love 7

I lost the quote box for this discussion, but I remember using the "uneven parallel bars"--snerk--with the closer configuration, too.  To me, it was more sinuous and interesting to be trapezing back and forth, high and lower, with centrifugal force from one bar spinning you onto the other.  I see the reproductive point, however.

(I speak to this from the days of high school P.E.--I guess that's now ancient history due to cutbacks and/or liability?  Too bad, because the memories really enhance the WAG events--e.g. how that balance beam feels like you're wobbling two stories up in the air, with an impossibly narrow sliver of security.  Just walking is harrowing.)

My favorite individual second of Simone's floor routine was when her butt smacked the mat and created the *boom!* note that went right there in the music.  Hahahaha, good one, Simone!

I would have enjoyed seeing Simone have two or three seconds to bask in the gold medal limelight, all by herself, instead of waiting for her scores and skipping straight to the one-two punch of Gold and Silver.

• Love 4

I agree Gabby should have cheered on her teammates. You are at the Olympics! It is sad because I remember her being super excited when Aly won Gold in 2012. Granted she seemed to be happy for them on the Today show. I wonder if someone had a talk with her.

If Aly wins a medal on floor which seems likely she will have the second most Olympic medals for an American gymnast behind Shannon Miller.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 3

I was coming here to comment on Gabby's reaction to Simone and Aly winning. She looked completely peeved to be there, while Laurie was about to jump out of her seat.  I feel bad for Gabby--- she should have been there competing... that two per rule is dumb--- but that's life.  Simone's floor was the best I've seen her do it all Olympics, I think. Her musicality was better.  I still prefer Aly's routine, but Simone killed it. 

• Love 7

The two gymnast per country rule sucks. I think it should be three. Gabby easily could've gotten silver or bronze if she'd been allowed to compete last night. I think knowing that was what made her seem subdued, not any ill feelings towards Aly or Simone. This is going to be her last Olympics, whereas Laurie will likely get another shot, and Madison's just happy to be there. 

I think Simone definitely deserved the win, although I like Aly's floor routine much better.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Background vaulting is the BEST! Few things are as funny as a random gymnast just running across the back of the screen. 

There was a cool point in the men's AA coverage where they pulled the camera back just enough from the guy on parallel bars so you could also see the high bar action behind him, and it was like the two men were as in sync with each other as you can be given the differences between apparatus.

• Love 2

Because of NBC's shitty coverage and general sleepiness I have not seen one minute of men's high bar and I'm really resentful about it.  It's my favorite gymnastics event because when I was a teenage girl I was married to Mitch Gaylord (in my mind) and "American Anthem" is one of my favorite movies ever.  I used to do floor routines in my parents backyard to that soundtrack (also to "Axel F").

Don't judge.

• Love 10

Overall, I enjoyed the coverage of women's gymnastics altho' I must say, watching the live stream yesterday was The Best (no commercials, no excessive yakking--and, most importantly, respect for & full participation of the female commentator!)  Just watched a tape of Flavia...she is such a cutie and really entertaining.  She put some fun in the floor routine :>)

Edited by annzeepark914
39 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Because of NBC's shitty coverage and general sleepiness I have not seen one minute of men's high bar and I'm really resentful about it.  It's my favorite gymnastics event because when I was a teenage girl I was married to Mitch Gaylord (in my mind) and "American Anthem" is one of my favorite movies ever.  I used to do floor routines in my parents backyard to that soundtrack (also to "Axel F").

Don't judge.

You should have seen the bar routine I did after removing the swings on my backyard swing set. Dad drew the line when I tried to pretend the top was also balance beam. 

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Don't judge.

I would never judge you, Mitch however was a bigamist because he was marries to me also ;)

• Love 6

I've noticed from day one that Gabby seems depressed or something. I get the feeling there's something personal going on beyond her competition disappointments, but I don't know her so who knows. 

I enjoyed watching men's gymnastics because, who know!, they let someone besides the Americans compete. And filmed them! Based on the women's coverage I assumed all other nations were just allowed to practice on the apparatus. I'm talking to you, NBC. I was really rooting for Oleg, but his high bar seemed so rushed and hyper I knew he'd lose it.

On a shallow note, the Japanese guy who won is a cutie! I remember having a crush on him last olympics too. 

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, bubbls said:

I've noticed from day one that Gabby seems depressed or something. I get the feeling there's something personal going on beyond her competition disappointments, but I don't know her so who knows. 

I enjoyed watching men's gymnastics because, who know!, they let someone besides the Americans compete. And filmed them! Based on the women's coverage I assumed all other nations were just allowed to practice on the apparatus. I'm talking to you, NBC. I was really rooting for Oleg, but his high bar seemed so rushed and hyper I knew he'd lose it.

On a shallow note, the Japanese guy who won is a cutie! I remember having a crush on him last olympics too. 

I agree about Gabby. It's sad that 4 years ago NBC did a whole fluff on her smile and now she never smiles. I'm sure yesterday she had a lot of regrets. If she had the amanar she would have beaten Aly for that spot. I think Gabby did so well in the beginning of her comeback that it didn't push her to get better plus she has done a lot of appearances/photo shoots the last couple of month she was probably training less and it showed. Plus there were rumors that she was barley in the gym before trials. While Aly really struggled in the beginning of her comeback it made her work harder. She cut down her appearances/photo shoots and it showed in her gymnastics. The two for country rule sucks but I'm pretty sure the US voted for it at the time. Plus all the gymnasts know about it. 

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I agree about Gabby. It's sad that 4 years ago NBC did a whole fluff on her smile and now she never smiles. I'm sure yesterday she had a lot of regrets. If she had the amanar she would have beaten Aly for that spot. I think Gabby did so well in the beginning of her comeback that it didn't push her to get better plus she has done a lot of appearances/photo shoots the last couple of month she was probably training less and it showed. Plus there were rumors that she was barley in the gym before trials. While Aly really struggled in the beginning of her comeback it made her work harder. She cut down her appearances/photo shoots and it showed in her gymnastics. The two for country rule sucks but I'm pretty sure the US voted for it at the time. Plus all the gymnasts know about it. 

They did, actually they really pushed for it, my one friend was telling me.. It sucks, but like i said it's life. Swimming has the same issue for ages. I think there are only a few countries that allow you to qualify 3 or more (winter sports comes to mind automatically but the field is smaller if i think about it, which would make sense), and it impacts a lot of countries with depth.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Just watched a tape of Flavia...she is such a cutie and really entertaining.  She put some fun in the floor routine :>)

I really enjoyed her, too.  Zesty!  (She must be tiny--the floor mat suddenly looked enormous.  She was darting around there like a shiny minnow in a swimming pool.)

14 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Trampoline time! WOO

Oh, you people with your fancy internet streaming!  Waaa, I loooove trampoline. 

At least I get Heptathalon on TV NBC proper--which is pretty interesting if you get there before Track & Field burns holes in your retinas.

• Love 2
Just now, candall said:

I really enjoyed her, too.  Zesty!  (She must be tiny--the floor mat suddenly looked enormous.  She was darting around there like a shiny minnow in a swimming pool.)

Oh, you people with your fancy internet streaming!  Waaa, I loooove trampoline. 

At least I get Heptathalon on TV NBC proper--which is pretty interesting if you get there before Track & Field burns holes in your retinas.

keep me up to date on Thessian-Eaton please? I'll tell you guys ALL about the trampoline! :)

the American girl actually did really well. 
Bryony Page (from UK did aweosme. I <3 the Union Jack leo). 

On AnthemGate: the newspaper had a thing about that in the paper this morning, and those of us who didn't recall the hand on the heart thing from when we grew up aren't crazy. Congress rewrote the code in the 1990s in a bout of "more patriotic than thou" and it's been mostly ignored and unpromoted except when someone digs it up as an excuse to criticize someone and question their patriotism.

57 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:

Mitch however was a bigamist because he was marries to me also

Mitch really got around, didn't he? I had quite the crush on him, too.  :-)

I have a lovely scar on my wrist from using the top of the swingset as a bar, from catching it on the screw that held the swing chains.

• Love 11

The Chinese trampoline leos are freaking gorgeous. And He Wenna had a beautiful routine! It looks like in trampoline they have a "compulsory" round to get down to the final 8, and then everyone does a more interesting individual routine?

1 minute ago, catray said:

The Chinese trampoline leos are freaking gorgeous. And He Wenna had a beautiful routine! It looks like in trampoline they have a "compulsory" round to get down to the final 8, and then everyone does a more interesting individual routine?

yup! they do two, and best combined

11 minutes ago, aquarian1 said:

I don't usually watch trampoline.  What's that belly flop type move they all do in the beginning?  It looks odd.

i dont know why it's part of compulsories, because you don't see it in optionals. 

13 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

My dad who knows nothing about gymnastics thinks Al and Tim are horrible and is not sure why Nastia is even in the booth since she never talks.

i totally agree about the live stream commentary I've learned so much from Courtney and Jon. I love how they ask each other questions.  My only minor gripe is I wish Jon wasn't so defensive of the men's team. I understand he's friends with all of them and the coach is college coach so that's probably why. I would love to know his opinion on how he thinks they could improve the program. That would be risky for him since I know he wants to try for Worlds 2017.

Even when Nastia talks she doesn't seem to add much.  I'd like for her to get into the technical side of what's happening.  Instead she's like listening to Captain Obvious.  (Talking about nerves, generic terms like "That's great!")  It sounds like she's just repeating what the producers are whispering in her ear.  And when she finally starts to give an interesting answer to a question, Dagget starts to talk over her and she backs down.  I'm really not impressed with her announcing at all.

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

The two gymnast per country rule sucks. I think it should be three. Gabby easily could've gotten silver or bronze if she'd been allowed to compete last night. I think knowing that was what made her seem subdued, not any ill feelings towards Aly or Simone. This is going to be her last Olympics, whereas Laurie will likely get another shot, and Madison's just happy to be there. 

I think Simone definitely deserved the win, although I like Aly's floor routine much better.

I'm sure this is a huge part of it and feel that I'd be pissed and frustrated too if I were in her position. I agree though with the sentiment that she comes across as petty and a little ungenerous. Anything can happen in four years so there are no guarantees that Laurie or Madison will even get to go to another Olympics but they aren't using that as a reason to not cheer on their teammate like they genuinely mean it. They seem like they're both really enjoying their Olympic experience and feel honored to be there and part of the team.

The note that Madison and Laurie wrote for Aly is too sweet and these are the sorts of stories that I like hearing about at the Olympics.

It's interesting that the person who has already won the highest honor the sport has to offer is the person who can't bring herself to be happy to watch somebody else enjoy the same experience, while the two gymnasts who don't have an Olympic AA gold medal to fall back on seem genuinely pleased. 

1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

From what I have observed, Gabby seems to be a person who keeps her feelings internal. In the stands, she can do whatever she wants, have whatever feelings she wants.

Sometimes I get that impression but this was an occasion where I felt like her feelings were externalized as well. It was impossible to not notice her lack of enthusiasm and I'm guessing that's why there are so many comments and articles that note it. 

She's giving off the vibe of pouting and it's disappointing to watch. 

Also, just to be clear, I'm not accusing Gabby of bad sportsmanship. Bad sportsmanship to me is something like when figure skater Surya Bonaly refused to get on the podium at the 1994 World Championships and disrespectfully took off her medal during the Japanese national anthem. (Seriously, one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen in terms of bad sportsmanship. She literally went out of her way to ruin Yuka Sato's win in her own country. It was very sad and I think it was always held against her from that moment.)

I think Gabby is just being immature and a little pouty because things didn't go the way that she wanted them to, simple as that. I don't doubt that she's dealing with personal issues as well it's just a pity that she was unable to temporarily buck up. 

1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

You should have seen the bar routine I did after removing the swings on my backyard swing set. Dad drew the line when I tried to pretend the top was also balance beam. 

Figure skating was my sport growing up, but every time the Summer Olympics would roll around I'd turn this super low wall that we had in the backyard into my personal BB.  

• Love 7
Just now, Daisy said:

This girl bounced on the index, and she is done. man Tramp is tough. no "bounce up and continue."

It's the one thing I really like about trampoline, although it might be even better if those pads were pools of water that they fell into, like a dunk tank.

• Love 1

The biggest problem I have with Gabby's attitude watching from the stands wasn't that she doesn't have the right to feel any way she pleases, it was that she had to know (or at least assume) that there would be cameras on her.  She does still represent the team and her country.

In other news, all 3 of those young ladies need to learn how to chew with their mouths closed.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

I used the back of the couch for a beam. It was much safer. My parents had this long couch with a flat back and it wasn't against a wall. I would take the pillows off and get up there when they weren't home.  I used to try to do jumps and spins and I liked to do cartwheels off of it. The ceiling was just low enough that, if I was losing my balance, I could throw my arms up and steady myself with the tips of my fingers on the ceiling. I got away with it for quite a while. Then one day my dad fell asleep on the couch. He woke up on his back and noticed that the ceiling was covered with fingerprints.  Needless to say, he put an immediate end to my couch gymnastics.

• Love 14

Fucking NBC and their gazillion hours of swimming every night; by the time they got back to gymnastics, I fell asleep after the bars.  So the last thing I knew, Aly was in fourth.  I was very happy to wake up and read that she'd bounced back with beam and floor and took silver, but I wish I'd seen her and Simone's routines.  They're so fun to watch. 

I felt for Aly when her coach was trying to talk to her about what went wrong in her bar routine and she was just trying to focus on beam.  Like, really dude - I think the analyzing can wait until tomorrow.

• Love 6

I listened to Bela's Facebook live interview. Sam asked him who he thought would be a good National Team Coordinator and he answered Valeri, Chow and Mihai. All the articles mentioned Valeri and Mihai as canditates. I think if they are going to choose someone who has their own gym I think Chow would be great. I know it's unlikely that he will get the position. 

In this article Bela says it will be between Rhonda and Valeri.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/heres-who-could-replace-marta-karolyi-as-usa-gymnastics-team-coordinator-153619905.html

i thought it was interesting that Steve Rybacki was in charge of the alternate at the Ranch and in Rio.

Edited by choclatechip45
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

The biggest problem I have with Gabby's attitude watching from the stands wasn't that she doesn't have the right to feel any way she pleases, it was that she had to know (or at least assume) that there would be cameras on her.  She does still represent the team and her country.

In other news, all 3 of those young ladies need to learn how to chew with their mouths closed.

Given the way people jumped all over the poor girl for not putting her hand over her heart, I'd think she'd be more conscious of not wanting to appear sullen since that was where a lot of the criticism during the anthem was coming from when people were saying that it was her slumped body language in general and lack of smiling in comparison to that of her teammates.

I was surprised to see that Gabby actually *did* put her hand over her heart during the medal ceremony for the team event in 2012. She also smiled more. Clearly she seems to be going through something IMO. 

• Love 2