Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

I would be impressed as hell if they did go with him- the guy isn't a conventional pretty boy that Disney tends to like, and people who've seen his work say he's pretty good.

I don't know though, I'm pretty cynical when it comes to Disney live-action movie casting and I really think they'll pick just some pretty boy who can pull off looking like he's Middle-Eastern. (Possibly with the help of CopperTone sun tan oil.) If Vanessa Hudghens hadn't struggled at the box office she probably would have been a shoe-in for Jasmine.

Edited by methodwriter85
12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

If Vanessa Hudghens hadn't struggled at the box office she probably would have been a shoe-in for Jasmine.

Karen David has been cast as Jasmine in ABC's Once Upon a Time which I thought was brilliant.  I don't know if she can actually sing (from an objective standpoint), but she did in Galavant.  I floved Galavant, so she could have been horrific and I wouldn't have noticed.

• Love 1

Karen David is a pretty good singer, certainly better than Vanessa Hudgens, she'd do fine with Aladdin. But since she was already on OUAT, they probably won't cast her for the film version.

Here is a crazy idea for casting Aladdin: why not cast unknown actors/actresses of Middle Eastern descent? There has to be some young 20ish actors looking for his or her big break that have Rami's charisma? While I doubt Hollywood has, I really hope they remember the lesson of The Last Airbender, where they casted white actors (as heroes) and Indian actors (as anti heroes/villians) and the movie fucking bombed. (It bombed for many reasons, but I think that was chief among them). Because apparently, Asians couldn't sell a fucking martial arts movie,  and show was voiced by white actors, which is totally the same. 

• Love 3
9 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Karen David has been cast as Jasmine in ABC's Once Upon a Time which I thought was brilliant.  I don't know if she can actually sing (from an objective standpoint), but she did in Galavant.  I floved Galavant, so she could have been horrific and I wouldn't have noticed.

Too old.  They're going to want a teenager, or somebody who can appeal to teenagers.

4 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Which is why I think it's going to be Brenton Thwaites for Aladdin. He's 27 but he's got a young, puppyish vibe to him.

He's already in the next Pirates movie and he'll probably be in Maleficent 2, so he's already booked on Disney movie quota. I'm hoping for either a newcomer or Rami Malek.

• Love 1

By our powers combined...the power...is YOURS!

This was announced years ago, but with Leo attached (producer?) this might actually happen. I really hope they don't try and go with a downbeat "gritty" feel, although to be honest, if you really think about it, the show was pretty cynical for a 90's cartoon. I mean, they had to prevent Hitler from getting a nuclear bomb.

• Love 2

Leo is doing a LOT of producing right now, no acting projects announced.

One of them Is Robin Hood: Origins, starring Taron Edgerton as young Robin.  And Jamie Foxx as Little John, because we cannot make movies about medieval times without characters of color in them.

Edited by Silver Raven
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Think they might get Leo to be Captain Planet too?

Dear God I hope not. Although it would probably be the least serious role he ever played.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:20 AM, Joe said:

Reflecting real life, you mean?

The 1630s are well after the Middle Ages.  There may have been some Africans in Europe in the actual Middle Ages.  Certainly there would have been some who were members of ship crews from areas where trade with/slaves from Africa were more common, but they'd still be relatively rare in England in the twelfth century.  The skeleton discussed in the article linked by vibeology was of a man of North African origin, so not exactly Jamie Foxx, and still extremely unusual for that time in England.

I'm not saying that the fictional character of Little John couldn't be played by Jamie Foxx, although there are plenty of Black English actors who'd fit the role better; Leo can cast anyone he wants in his movie.

On 18/10/2016 at 9:45 PM, methodwriter85 said:

Leo only does Oscar bait roles, not live-action cartoon adaptions. I actually could, upon reflection, see Glen Powell rocking the hell out of the part.

But he has his Oscar now so maybe you will start to see him taking less baity roles.

Peter Jackson announced that his next production is going to be a movie version of  Philip Reeve’s book "Mortal Engines", set in the far future where all cities are on wheels and tool around, with the bit cities hunting down and consuming the smaller cities.

On 24/10/2016 at 11:27 PM, Silver Raven said:

Peter Jackson announced that his next production is going to be a movie version of  Philip Reeve’s book "Mortal Engines", set in the far future where all cities are on wheels and tool around, with the bit cities hunting down and consuming the smaller cities.

Sounds like "The Crimson Permanent Assurance" but on a much larger scale!  ;-)

• Love 2

This is disgusting.

Bertolucci Admits He Conspired to Shoot a Non-Consensual Rape Scene in 'Last Tango in Paris'

The director said he didn't tell star Maria Schneider because he "wanted her reaction as a girl not as an actress."

What a despicable thing to do. I know the statute of limitations has long since lapsed but what Brando & Bertolucci did to Maria Schneider was sexual assault. I wish they could be prosecuted for it. (Yes, I know Brando is dead. I will never view him or his work the same way again.)

• Love 7
7 hours ago, scriggle said:

This is disgusting.

Bertolucci Admits He Conspired to Shoot a Non-Consensual Rape Scene in 'Last Tango in Paris'

What a despicable thing to do. I know the statute of limitations has long since lapsed but what Brando & Bertolucci did to Maria Schneider was sexual assault. I wish they could be prosecuted for it. (Yes, I know Brando is dead. I will never view him or his work the same way again.)

I hated this movie and when I read how Schneider had felt she been raped in that scene cemented it for me. It really saddens me because I like a lot of Brandon's earlier works, but this really changes how I see him. Brando and Schneider remained friends after the film except she said they never talked about that scene again, and Brando himself hated that movie for awhile.

What Bertolucci did was absolutely despicable. The fact he says in the interview that he doesn't regret it considering how Schenider hated her fame from the movie and had struggles with addiction and mental health for periods in her life.

This whole interview should also open up discussion about how this kind of pressure for actors (especially female) can be very dangerous and wrong. Hitchcock tormented both Kim Novak and Tippi Hedren on set. It is not art to psychologically or physically torment the talent on screen for specific reactions.

• Love 7
On 12/3/2016 at 2:49 PM, scriggle said:

This is disgusting.

Even worse, Maria herself died five years ago.

Edited by UYI
She died in 2011, not 2007. 2007 was in reference to a an interview she did where the movie came up.

ON 9/23/2016 AT 0:12 AM, BETTERBUTTER SAID:

‘Monster Trucks’ Projected To Lose $115 Million For Paramount Pictures

I can see why they think that.

Ahahaha. That brought me so much joy. I mean, seeing that your property is "monster trucks" and you have to pitch something, I can see why they went for a creature (so something like ET or Lilo and Stitch or Free Willy) instead of Transformers or Cars (Pixar). But good Lord do I feel bad for that actress from Suburgatory. And oh, Thomas Lennon. He's great but he's not terribly choosy about his projects...

• Love 1
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Ahahaha. That brought me so much joy. I mean, seeing that your property is "monster trucks" and you have to pitch something, I can see why they went for a creature (so something like ET or Lilo and Stitch or Free Willy) instead of Transformers or Cars (Pixar). But good Lord do I feel bad for that actress from Suburgatory. And oh, Thomas Lennon. He's great but he's not terribly choosy about his projects...

I am curious why it brought you joy. I remember seeing the  trailer in front of some other movie (probably finding dory) and i remember thinking that even though it looks ridiculous at least it appeared to be an original concept (rather than a sequel or an adaptation of a tv show or something).

48 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I am curious why it brought you joy. I remember seeing the  trailer in front of some other movie (probably finding dory) and i remember thinking that even though it looks ridiculous at least it appeared to be an original concept (rather than a sequel or an adaptation of a tv show or something).

An original concept from the four-year-old son of a movie studio president. It got the go-ahead for the same reasons most remakes and movies based on existing properties do:

Paramount gave “Monster Trucks” the green light, originally as an animated film, when the studio was hungry for family entertainment that could sell toys and produce sequels, a model exemplified by competitors like Disney’s “Cars.”

Eventually it became a live action movie, which added to the expense and the delayed release dates. They say test screenings are going well, but I know the monsters from the trailer would have terrified me as a little kid.

I guess this goes here: Forbes released their "Most Overpaid Actors" list and Johnny Depp is #1 for the second year in a row.  This year, his movies made $2.80 for every $1 he was paid (last year, that ratio was $1.20 for every $1 paid).  For a basis of comparison, the #2 person on the list, Will Smith, had movies that made $5 for every $1 he was paid, and last years "Best Bang For Your Buck Actor" Chris Evans had movies that made $181 for ever $1 he was paid.

• Love 7

It's not a surprising list when you think about it but it's still interesting when you think about what studios think they're getting paying for a star. The snarky part of me also wants to point out that aside from Julia Roberts and Will Smith these are all white men. Tell me again how white men are guaranteed casting choices and women and minorities are too risky. Aside from maybe Charming Potato, these are also mostly older actors. I don't think Clooney has ever really been in hit movies but I'm not quite sure where the studios are going wrong with the others. Is it that they're making more movies or taking worse projects because it's harder to get work... or work that meets their salary requirements? Or are the powers that be just banking on them having a command of box office dollars that they simply don't?

Re: Fantastic Beasts... It's not doing as well as the rest of the Potter franchise so far but I don't think Johnny Depp will affect the franchise much one way or the other unless he gives a horrible performance that sinks word of mouth/buzz.

• Love 1

I think the problem is that back in the day you used to gradually build up your resume to get to the big 20 million dollar pay projects.  Also once you reach that stature you actually have to stay there in order to continually justify that paycheck. 

Now every hot new actor seems to get an instant raise with every new movie.  Don't get me wrong I'm all in favor of talent getting paid what they deserve, but when it comes to franchises now a days it has sort of blurred the lines between are people sitting in the seats for the "movie star" or the "franchise".

Say what you want about Julia Roberts, Tom Cruise, Will Smith ,etc, but they packed theaters on the strength of people wanting to spend money to see them on the screen.  Their movies were enhanced by their involvement.

There are actors that will put my butt in a seat regardless of the movie's premise, but they're mostly accomplished British stage actors with a few outliers like Sigourney Weaver mixed in. As much as I like Evans, even he couldn't get me to put up with my brain going "but who maintains the tracks?" for two hours of Snowpiercer.

On 19/01/2017 at 3:23 AM, Silver Raven said:

Sir Patrick Stewart does the voice of the poop emoji in The Emoji Movie.  My estimation of that movie went up slightly.

The guy has been associated with Seth McFarlane productions for years now. Doing the voice of poop is probably not much different. Plus British actors are pretty well known for taking any paycheque.

On 19/01/2017 at 3:23 AM, Silver Raven said:

Sir Patrick Stewart does the voice of the poop emoji in The Emoji Movie.  My estimation of that movie went up slightly.

The guy has been associated with Seth McFarlane productions for years now. Doing the voice of poop is probably not much different. Plus British actors are pretty well known for taking any paycheque.

The douche that hacked and leaked a bunch of nude celebrity photos has been sentenced to 9 months in prison. Hopefully celebs are more careful about their cloud accounts, considering how easy it is to get their personal info from the interviews they do, but it doesn't mean this guy didn't grossly invade a bunch of strangers' privacy and didn't commit a crime.

• Love 2

You ever get the feeling that folks on the business side of Hollywood would make great politicians? I do now. It's amazing how hard it is to get a straight answer to a simple question,  like how much did it really cost to make Passengers .  Because that total has been mostly reported as $110m and now it was actually  $130m .

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-passengers-fights-break-stiff-competition-969077

ETA; Dejana I'm sorry I ever questioned why you didn't originally put the production cost in the box office reports. This is unbelievable. 

Edited by raezen
On Friday, January 27, 2017 at 1:56 PM, raezen said:

You ever get the feeling that folks on the business side of Hollywood would make great politicians? I do now. It's amazing how hard it is to get a straight answer to a simple question,  like how much did it really cost to make Passengers .  Because that total has been mostly reported as $110m and now it was actually  $130m .

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-passengers-fights-break-stiff-competition-969077

ETA; Dejana I'm sorry I ever questioned why you didn't originally put the production cost in the box office reports. This is unbelievable. 

Hollywood accounting can be verrrrry creative all around: if an upcoming blockbuster looks like it might underwhelm at the box office, in public, the budget is minimized as much as possible, so it will seem like less of a flop. OTOH, there's a long list of huge successes that "lost money" so the studio didn't have to pay out those contracts promising cast/crew a share of the profits. Usually, it takes more than a month or two for it to come out that a movie cost much more than originally let on...

• Love 1