Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

UGH. Why can't they remake the bad movies that NEED improvement?

I'm just glad that the Crow remake seems dead. Thank god.

It just doesn't work to remake cult movies- especially ones that aren't even 20 years old.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Seriously?! That's just lazy, Hollywood.

That's the interesting thing about the Memento remake. It's not Hollywood, it's Wall Street. The company that purchased the the rights to the movie is a private equity firm, not a studio. And I'm guessing that the return on investment they are looking for probably doesn't simply rely on existing Blu Ray/streaming revenues from the old movies in their catalog. 

So get ready for the announcement for Donnie Darko, the remake. (Another title they own.)

Edited by xaxat

Until i clicked the link i thought we were getting another Johnny Cash biopic (or maybe a Lost movie reboot).

Ugh.  I get irrationally annoyed by statements like that.  The Gunslinger was published 20+ years before Lost.  So many people have no idea how heavily influenced Lost was by Stephen King (generally) and the Dark Tower series (specifically).  And yet Lost is critically acclaimed while King is seen as a writer of pulpy, trashy fiction.

But that's my hang up.

• Love 1

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/love-may-fail-for-emma-stone-20151117

Emma Stone is going to be in the film adaptation of Matthew Quick's 'Love May Fail '. Loved the book and I do sort of see Portia's mania in the energy ES can do but she is still a little young for the role. Let's put it this way; I'm older then Emma Stone and most of the head metal hits they were talking about in the book were my older cousins music and I was singing 'Old McDonald ', so it's a little off. Still not as off as a 21 yr old playing a widow after 10 years of marriage and that didn't seem to bother critics so it will probably be fine.

Alexandra Daddario joins the cast of the Baywatch movie.

As we reported previously, the action-comedy also stars Zac Efron and Dwayne Johnson, two fine actors who were 100 percent cast for the way they look shirtless. Daddrio will be playing Summer, a lifeguard who also happens to be the girlfriend of Efron’s “aerobicized life saver,” a descriptor that your mom would totally freak out about if applied to anyone you were dating in real life. She reportedly beat out a number of other candidates. including Pretty Little Liars’ Ashley Benson and Vampire Diaries’ Nina Dobrev. Plus, she recently starred in the postmortem comedy Burying The Ex, so she has experience dealing with awful garbage that’s come back from the dead.

Well, if there was someone who could  fill that red swimsuit, it's her alright. 

• Love 2

Alexandra is actually pretty good- she managed to bring something to what would have otherwise been a cardboard cut-out part in San Andreas. I'm kind of surprised they didn't go with someone younger, but good for her.

I just hope this goes the 21 Jump Street route and doesn't try to inject depth into it.

• Love 1

I'm just glad she's playing Zach Efron's girlfriend apparently, because after playing Dwayne Johnson's daughter in San Andreas, it would have been strange seeing her play his love interest.

But yeah, if anyone was born to fit into one of those iconic Baywatch swimsuits, it would be her.

• Love 1

So apparently there's already a petition from a transgender group to boycott Zoolander 2 because of Benedict Cumberbatch's character. Personally, I think that's just ridiculous. Sometimes people are so obsessed with being PC that they blow things out of proportion and context.

• Love 1

So apparently there's already a petition from a transgender group to boycott Zoolander 2 because of Benedict Cumberbatch's character. Personally, I think that's just ridiculous. Sometimes people are so obsessed with being PC that they blow things out of proportion and context.

I don't really have an opinion in this particular case, but Hollywood has such an abysmal record of taking stories about non-white/straight characters and giving them to straight/white actors that I have no problem with them being called out whenever it happens.

• Love 2

I saw a couple of guys talking about having seen The Danish Girl where they absolutely hated the cinematography.  They were complaining about the framing, where 2/3 of the frame is empty and there's a face off on one side, or extreme closeups followed by long distance shots.

I saw a couple of guys talking about having seen The Danish Girl where they absolutely hated the cinematography. They were complaining about the framing, where 2/3 of the frame is empty and there's a face off on one side, or extreme closeups followed by long distance shots.

It's a Tom Hooper movie...The King's Speech and Les Miserables also suffered from bad/uninspired camera work.

I know Eddie Redmayne is the flavor of the month, but the only movie of his I'm interested in seeing is the one where his character has a threeway with Hugh Dancy's.

wait, which movie is this? Cause that sounds like something I need to see. For science.

• Love 1

Does Jeffrey Wells really count as a "film critic"?

Either way, he's got a long history of being a pig. He commented after the Trainwreck trailer came out that Amy Schumer was too fat and ugly to play a character who sleeps around, and once tried to get a director to send him nude pictures of an actress. Also, Miles Teller once called him a pervert to his face, which I'm pretty sure is the best thing Miles Teller has ever done.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 4

It just makes me want to see it more.

• Love 1

The only thing I've seen them do so far is ask the character about hir gender, which while not exactly polite doesn't cross the line into offensive as far as I'm concerned.

Cumberbatch's character's name is All.

“Are you like a male model or a female model?” asks Ben Stiller’s character Derek, to which Cumberbatch’s character answers “All is All”.

“I think he's asking is do you have a hot dog or a bun?” explains Owen Willson’s Hansel, followed by a light giggle and the word “Oops” from All.

IDK, it's not 1999 anymore, the whole "tee hee, that's a man, baby!" sort of joking isn't going to go without loud objection like it did in the heydey of Austin Powers movies.

So, there's a story going around about 'The Revenant' that isn't quite accurate (somewhat spoilery, I guess)... That seems to be taking the memes of Leo being Oscar hungry a bit far, wouldn't you say?

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

Beyoncé was originally doing it with Clint Eastwood directing, he has said that she had to drop out when she got pregnant.  So it looks like it is coming around again.

And now Bradley Cooper is directing? What's his experience? I know I can look it up on IMDB, but I'm just too lazy. 

What I didn't know is that the version with Barbara S. and Kris K. was also a remake. 

What I didn't know is that the version with Barbara S. and Kris K. was also a remake.

It was the SECOND remake of A Star Is Born, at that.  The iconic Judy Garland/James Mason version was itself a remake of a 1937 film with Janet Gaynor and Fredric March.  I guess the story has legs.

• Love 2

If I were Sean Penn I would beefing up my security and sleeping with one eye open. He gets an interview with the leader of the Sinaloa drug cartel. El Chapo is arrested several months later and Mexican officials credit Penn's efforts to get the interview as a key part of their intelligence in finding Guzman.

The Sinaloa drug cartel has killed thousands of people for far lesser offenses.

• Love 1

jezebel.com/sorry-everyone-a-labyrinth-reboot-is-in-the-works-1754745719

If this does happen, it's an awful idea in many ways.  It feels opportunistic because of Bowie's recent death (R.I.P.).  Labyrinth is very much a product of the 80s with the kitsch quality that comes from the use of puppets and the deceptively kid friendly nature of the film.  There's quite a bit that would go over most kids' heads, including Bowie's bulge.  That may have been to appeal to their parents and older siblings. 

There was some discussion in the movies forum on TWOP about Labyrinth-era Bowie being the prototype internet/tumblr male fantasy figure.  The reason I use him as Jareth is that it is the first real exposure that most millennials had to him as a performer.  I'm in my early 30s and can remember seeing Labyrinth on VHS.   His successors include Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Michael Fassbender and Oscar Isaac to name a few. 

• Love 2

jezebel.com/sorry-everyone-a-labyrinth-reboot-is-in-the-works-1754745719

If this does happen, it's an awful idea in many ways.  It feels opportunistic because of Bowie's recent death (R.I.P.).  Labyrinth is very much a product of the 80s with the kitsch quality that comes from the use of puppets and the deceptively kid friendly nature of the film.  There's quite a bit that would go over most kids' heads, including Bowie's bulge.  That may have been to appeal to their parents and older siblings. 

Also, it was a flop in its theatrical run.

• Love 1

Lionsgate blames Mockingjay 2 underperformance at the box office on the following: 1) overcrowding in the China marketplace 2) the terrorist attack in Paris and 3) Star Wars: The Force Awakens.  I guess the idea that maybe splitting up the final book into two films wasn't a great idea didn't occur to them.  Then again, I continue to be amused that we have gotten to the point where making $652 million worldwide is considered a "disappointment."

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3

Yeah, I don't see how Star Wars could have cost the movie $50-100 million when the film was released a month before Star Wars' premiere. Although with Avengers and Jurrasic World also coming out in 2015, it's possible that people were tired of spending money on action flicks. I think Mockingjay suffered most from an over saturation of YA adaptations, a two part finale that didn't have the content to fill 4.5 hours (there's a 10 minute scene where Katniss does nothing but run down stairs!), and a terrible advertising campaign for the last two movies. Granted they made more money making two than they would have releasing one, but stretching out the franchise definitely affected the individual performances. 

• Love 1

I like to think that book readers anticipated that Part 2 would remove most of what Katniss goes through after the final battle and gloss over the rest and waited for their friends to confirm before going to see it.  I also think that but it's probably more likely that a lot of people decided to wait for the dvds so they could watch both parts together.  I know a lot of people in real life who told me they were going to do exactly that and they were all book readers so I think splitting the book into two parts was ultimately a bad idea.

• Love 3