Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

Maybe this should be posted in Unpopular Opinions, but I don't ever see the Fantastic Four working as a movie for anyone. The concept just stinks. Yes, I know there's a very popular comic attached to the franchise. But that comic is an anomaly. Its just awful and I can't believe that there are what, 4, 5 live action movies based on it. It just doesn't work. It will never hit that sweet spot that Guardians of Galaxy hit because it lacks (character) appeal and edge. Just stop. Stop! 

I am not bashing, I enjoyed the 90's Fantastic Four cartoon, right along side Spiderman and X-Men. Its never going to work. 

Maybe this should be posted in Unpopular Opinions, but I don't ever see the Fantastic Four working as a movie for anyone. The concept just stinks. .... Its never going to work. 

I think a Fantastic Four film can work. Maybe let Brad Bird have a crack at it.

I didn't think the 2005 version was bad, but it wasn't good either. It was lazy to me, from the writing to the casting. I don't recall Jessica Alba being cast as Sue Storm getting as much flack as Michael Jordan's casting did. I was shocked when it got a sequel. 

I don't recall Jessica Alba being cast as Sue Storm getting as much flack as Michael Jordan's casting did.

It wasn't for lack of me trying. But then, I was initially stoked at the thought of Julian McMahon playing Victor Von Doom and that turned out to be one of the movie's worst mistakes.

• Love 1

I think it was Michael Chrichton who said something along the lines of, if you want to see your book turned into a movie, do it yourself or be prepared to see something you don't recognize on the screen. John Krakauer, author of the book (Into Thin Air) the movie Everest is based on, just learned that lesson.

“It’s total bull,” Krakauer says of “Everest,” which he saw upon its debut in IMAX cinemas last weekend. “Anyone who goes to that movie and wants a fact-based account should read ‘Into Thin Air.' ". . .

“People told me, ‘Movies never get made. Take the money. What do you have to lose?’” the writer, now 61, recalls. “I curse myself for selling it at all. What I learned from the TV movie was that dramatic films take dramatic license, and when you sign a document, you can do whatever you want with me. It wasn’t worth the money I got.”

• Love 2

George Miller talks about his plans. No to Man of Steel 2, maybe something smaller and less actiony than either Superman or Mad Max. Yeah, I can see how making Max would take it would of you. Just watching it is exhausting, and I'm half his age. :) Oh well, he won me over with Fury Road. I'll be interested in whatever he does next.

Before this summer I would of been wishing George a happy fun retirement but after Fury Road, I am excited to see what he does next.  I would love to see him tackle a small female driven action or drama movie.  What he did with making the women the heroes of Fury Road was a welcome and satisfying change.  Can't wait to see what is next from him.

• Love 1

I guess this would go here...Sam Mendes interviews directors:

HAVE YOU EVER WALKED OFF A SET IN A TEMPER?

Steven Spielberg: I’ve never walked off a set before and I can’t imagine why I would.

David Fincher: No, but I have cleared a set to speak with an actor, or actors.

Ang Lee: I only Hulked out once.

Edgar Wright: Almost. Once on Channel 4’s Spaced I was having a tricky time shooting 15 scenes from seven different episodes with a new-that-day crew. When lunch was called I went for a walk and kept on walking. Then I called my producer Nira (Park) from a phone box and said, “I can’t hack it anymore, you should get someone else for Monday.” She talked me down from the ledge and I came back to work. So, I have never really flipped out on set, but I can be an incredible sulk.

Alfonso Cuarón: Yes, only to come back feeling very stupid.

Joe Wright: I rarely lose my temper and try not to raise my voice, but I’ve left set in a sulk many times. I sulk or even cry rather than lose my temper.

Paul Greengrass: Once, when I couldn’t work out how to shoot an eight-handed dialogue scene in the desert
 in the middle of the night. After I’d banged my head against a Humvee for ten minutes trying to work it 
out, I was fine and carried on!

Joss Whedon: Nope. I’ve lost my temper, but not impressively. I’ve walked out of a VFX review in
 a quiet, blind rage, but only for a minute or so
 ’til I could see again.

Rob Marshall: It’s not even a possibility.

Christopher Nolan: I once tried, but nobody
 seemed to notice, so I came back.

Steven Soderbergh: No, but I did walk ON
 to a set with a temper once when an actor 
showed up late two days in a row.

Sofia Coppola: Ha, no.

Susanne Bier: No.

Alexander Payne: Fuck no.

George Clooney: No. The reason is because
 eventually you have to walk back on, and that
 would be too humiliating.

Roger Michell: Not yet.

WHAT’S THE MOST TAKES YOU’VE EVER DONE?

Spielberg: I did 50 takes on Robert Shaw assembling the Greener Gun on Jaws. The shark wasn’t working, so I just kept shooting to make the production report look like we were accomplishing something and to keep cast and crew from going crazy from boredom. It was a strategic indulgence.

Soderbergh: 48.

Fincher: 107.

Clooney: 18.

Nolan: I never pay attention to the number of takes.

Edgar Wright: I don’t think I have ever gone Kubrick crazy. So maybe 20 or so... But it’s usually six or seven takes.

Payne: Probably around 26. I’m normally a four-to-
seven kind of guy, but every so often, when the actors,
 the operator, the dolly grip and the assistant cameramen must all work in sync, it might take a while to get right.

Marshall: I try not to do more than seven or eight. It can become counterproductive.

Cuarón: The long takes process doesn’t allow for that
 many takes. In the past I have shot over 50 takes of
 different shots. Sometimes you end up using take 64, sometimes take four.

Michell: Like current Australian batsmen... Very rarely double figures.

Lee: For acting, 13. For action, 36.

Bier: Twenty-five, I think. Which, if you’re trying to get the best performance, is way, way too much.

Joe Wright: Thirty-seven maybe, can’t really remember. I’m usually in the range of 12 to 16 unless it’s a very technically challenging shot.

Coppola: I can’t remember, nothing too crazy, because we never have that much time in the schedule.

Whedon: On an elaborate shot, 30. On a bit of dialogue, I’ve seldom gone into double digits.

Greengrass: I don’t count over ten.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

I'm honestly not that opposed to recasting Indiana Jones.

I feel like Han Solo can work as a senior citizen, especially because such a big focus in Star Wars is the multi-generation storytelling. But I'm not sure that it can work with Indiana Jones.

I don't think Chris Pratt is right for the part, though. He just doesn't have the suave sophistication that Harrison Ford has/had, or the air of intelligence mixed with rugged sex appeal.

Honestly, if you gave Chris Hemsworth a couple of years, and he bulked down, I bet he could pull it off.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I don't think Chris Pratt is right for the part, though. He just doesn't have the suave sophistication that Harrison Ford has/had, or the air of intelligence mixed with rugged sex appeal.

I think you are right. After years of watching Andy Dwyer on Parks and Rec, plus Starlord, I am not sure I can picture Chris Pratt as a university professor.

• Love 1

Nah, Lee Pace is too ... I don't want to say effeminate ... but not rugged enough.

Lee Pace did play a transgender woman quite convincingly in his early 20's. The kid got VERY into his role.

He's not quite that effeminate in real life in his 30's, but he doesn't really ooze masculinity.

Hmm. Matthew Goode probably could have pulled it off, but his window to be a leading man seems to have closed.

Edited by methodwriter85

I don't think there's a current actor who could take over. None of them have the charisma required. I said elsewhere, but Hollywood has really gone downhill in terms of male actors. And I do think Indiana should be played by an American.

• Love 2

I don't think there's a current actor who could take over. None of them have the charisma required. I said elsewhere, but Hollywood has really gone downhill in terms of male actors. And I do think Indiana should be played by an American.

I agree with both points. Harrison Ford is a one-of-a-kind leading man (for our generation, at least). 

I think I would have been more excited hearing that Sandra Bullock was in a female led heist movie then I am hearing that there are MORE Ocean's movies coming.

Edited by raezen
  • Love 2

It's annoying that Hollywood's idea of giving women more roles is to make a female version of movies that have already been done. Not that they don't stick men in tons of remakes, but something about this "female Ghostbuster/21 Jump Street/Ocean's 11" wave feels a bit patronizing.

• Love 14

That is so irritating. Sandra Bullock is a big enough star that I'm sure a simple heist comedy movie with her and other actresses would do fine without the 'Ocean's' name attached to it.

• Love 7

It IS totally patronizing. It means that the executives can't imagine selling tickets to movies with women in the roles without the franchise attachment.

Even ignoring the gender aspects of it, it just seems like lazy writing. Like back in the 80/90s there were so many action movies that were you know someone pitched it to a studio by saying "this will be Die Hard, but in a ...:". This time we have "it will be Ocean's 11, but with ladies".

• Love 4

Over the years, many films have been accused of over photoshopping and airbrushing their promotional still and posters.  (Giving Emma Watson in Order of the Phoenix and Keira Knightly in King Arthur larger breasts, for example.)  This only slightly resembles Johnny Depp, I think.  (My husband thought it was Elijah Wood.)  Somehow, I doubt it's the make up:

uQUWfQM.jpg

The promo still of Anne Hathaway doesn't look much like her, either, but it's not quite as bad.

I honestly don't dislike Kristen Stewart, but losing her and gaining both Jessica Chastain and Emily Blunt is a major upgrade in my books.  Although, Blunt playing an ice queen makes me suspect they're trying to cash in on the Frozen craze (it's been years since that film, but that's still going on somewhat.)

• Love 2

I thought that movie was a let down because it was a Snow White story but Snow White a really inconsistent character. But even with that criticism now the story doesn't have Snow White at all and that doesn't fill me with confidence that it will be better.