Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think Matt Bomer could definitely be a leading man box office draw.  I know he's gay, but as a straight woman, I don't even care.  I still like looking at him and I think he's a very good actor.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

I think of Armie Hammer, Henry Cavil, the Helmsworth boys, Chris Pine, Luke Evans, etc in the Matt Bomer mode. He might not make it, but the point is THEY are offered the roles that Bomer (so far ) has not.

It's not a matter of whether he's leading box office draw, it's whether someone will pull the trigger and give him at least a shot at it.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think of Armie Hammer, Henry Cavil, the Helmsworth boys, Chris Pine, Luke Evans, etc in the Matt Bomer mode. He might not make it, but the point is THEY are offered the roles that Bomer (so far ) has not.

It's not a matter of whether he's leading box office draw, it's whether someone will pull the trigger and give him at least a shot at it.

True,  Matt Bomer is just as talented as any of the above mentioned actors.  Hell, remember a couple of years ago when Jackie Collins revealed that Matt Bomer lost out on a Superman Movie (this one was never made) because the producers found out he was gay during the audition process.

It will be interesting to see when things actually progress.  For someone like Matt Bomer.  The gay community supports him, you have straight women who say "we don't care, we still want to drool over him, and we think he is talented."  Is it really this "false idea" that the masses still won't support an openly gay star?  Unfortunately it is really hard to test that theory.

Edited by JBC344
  • Love 1

Really? I'd heard way back that he didn't get Superman, but I assumed it was because he was too short.*

*(Hollywood short, not regular short)

The one I referenced is a Superman movie that didn't get made.  I think he may have also been up for the other Superman movies that have been made, but no definitive reason/issue that he didn't get either one of them.

(edited)

The bigger irony is that most likely many big office stars in the past (and even now are gay), so it isn't a matter of possessing star quality, but whether the public would accept them knowing they were gay.

Luke Evans has been quite the circuitous path, once you reveal you were gay, how do you go back in the closet? I think his box office has proven in the right vehicle, orientation implied or otherwise in a personal life doesn't matter.

BTW, did Rock Hudson ever publicly acknowledge his was gay?

Edited by caracas1914

BTW, did Rock Hudson ever publicly acknowledge his was gay?

No. Hudson and his agent publicly maintained his heterosexual heart throb image for decades. Even when it was announced he was HIV positive, Hudson said it was probably from a blood transfusion. When he died, it opened a big discussion about his homosexuality and gave attention to the AIDS crisis at the time. Everyone he worked with knew he was gay. It was an open Hollywood secret, but like many things, he didn't want people to speak of it and none of his friends outed him. The media was a different beast back then too.

• Love 2

but I assumed it was because he was too short.*

Heh this was my thinking re: his leading man issues, but it didn't stop Tom Cruise from being Lestat so.... I wish I could believe an out *male* actor could be a leading man type success but Hollywood is the WORST and I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

• Love 1

Really? I'd heard way back that he didn't get Superman, but I assumed it was because he was too short.*

*(Hollywood short, not regular short)

Wait - aren't there several leading men who aren't particularly tall? I don't know how tall Bomer is, but I always thought Hollywood short was still taller than regular short, heh. But I always read average male height to be 5'9, which is short to me.  It's all relative, I guess. I'm tall-ish for a woman.   

It's a shame that Luke Evans felt he had to hide his sexuality.  The man is sex on a stick, no matter what, and I always enjoy watching him. Matt Bomer is talented and objectively gorgeous.  But he isn't particularly memorable for me, either. 

(edited)

I apologize if this has already been discussed somewhere, but I saw an article this week about odds being slashed by bettors for Damian Lewis to be the next James Bond. I like him and think he's a great actor, but I'm not sure I see him as 007. Other than the long-discussed Idris Elba, which would be awesome, who else do you guys think could make a decent Bond? 

Off the top of my head I came up with: Matthew Goode (I think he'd be top of my list), Idris Elba, Tom Hardy, Luke Evans. People like Michael Fassbender or Henry Cavill could also be good, but I think they are too well-known for other roles. 

Edited by SallyAlbright
  • Love 1

apologize if this has already been discussed somewhere, but I saw an article this week about odds being slashed by bettors for Damian Lewis to be the next James Bond. I like him and think he's a great actor, but I'm not sure I see him as 007. Other than the long-discussed Idris Elba, which would be awesome, who else do you guys think could make a decent Bond?

Other than Idris Elba, who would totally rock, the only actor I want to see as Bond is Clive Owen, who should've had the role instead of Daniel Craig.  But I suspect Owen's time has passed in that regard.

• Love 2

If Bond is going to be a punching machine, then I'd want to see someone who's in his mid-thirties.  With an older Bond, what I'd want to see is him using his skills and experience more than muscling through obstacles.  (I'd love it if Bond were a position rather than a specific person, and we saw an older Bond mentor young Parkour McPuncherson through the transition to Bond.)  But I don't know what the company's vision for the franchise is.

• Love 2

If Bond is going to be a punching machine, then I'd want to see someone who's in his mid-thirties.  With an older Bond, what I'd want to see is him using his skills and experience more than muscling through obstacles.  (I'd love it if Bond were a position rather than a specific person, and we saw an older Bond mentor young Parkour McPuncherson through the transition to Bond.)  But I don't know what the company's vision for the franchise is.

Pierce Brosnan was first offered/in talks for the role when he was in his early 30s. He couldn't take the role on officially for a few more years until he was about 40. He's been on record to say that he thinks the Bond role is more suited for men in their 40s. I can see that part of the company's vision. With the exception of Lazenby and Connery, most of the Bonds started in their 40s or closer to 40 (Craig was 37). I am not that interested in seeing a precocious pre-007 Bond. I feel that kind of movie niche could be filled by other action franchises (Bourne did it for a bit). I really think Roger Moore aged out in his 50s too, but then I was never a big Moore fan.

• Love 5

The interesting thing about the Damian Lewis speculation is the fact that his success in the US has been in roles playing Americans. (I've haven't watched anything where he uses his own British accent.)

I can see more than a couple people wandering out of the theater wondering why they cast a Yank to play Bond.

Personally I think he's a little too similar in looks/type to Dainel Craig, not that they would pass as twins mind you. You do need a relative unknown to put his stamp on the character (experienced but not that famous). Wouldn't mind an American actor getting a shot at it just to change things up.

(edited)

True; and I don't have any problems with her based on age, but it's an unusual choice just because Peter's aunt and uncle have always been portrayed as closer to grandparents.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2

True; and I don't have any problems with her based on age, but it's an unusual choice just because Peter's aunt and uncle have always been portrayed as closer to grandparents.

I think that is the real issue.  Certainly not her age.  Perception is interesting though.  I feel like they tried to do continue the "grandparent" angle in the latest one but considering that Sally Field looks great and that Andrew Garfield is 30 years old, even then it came off a little different. 

When I first heard about the reboot I was a little let down considering I think Andrew was a great Spiderman and his relationship with Sally Field onscreen was a major highlight and really grounded the film.  That scene in the second movie where Sally breaks down at the thought of Peter distancing himself from her is just heartbreaking.  One of the best dramatic scenes we will ever get in a Spiderman movie between two characters in a room.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's going to be kind of weird seeing Aunt May played by someone I have a crush on.

It's funny that in the course of six films and 15 years, Aunt May has gone from being a WWII Gen, to a Baby Boomer, to a Borderline Gen Xer.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Question:  Caught a snippet of some entertainment show's lead in where they were going to be interviewing Tom Cruise about his latest Mission Impossible flick.  His face looked really odd - has he had work done?  I think the last movie I watched him in was probably the vampire one a zillion years ago. 

All I know is that he did have surgery to "fix" the bump that used to be on his nose. Like right in the middle? and it got flattened or removed or whatever it is that they call it; and also wore braces (the clear kind so you didn't know if it hadn't been revealed).

I'm really bad about being able to tell if anyone's had any work done unless it's REALLY obvious and bad*.

*Linda Evans--who has become so unrecognizable; Joan Van Ark (yes, I get that these ladies are television and not movie actresses).

Other than the long-discussed Idris Elba, which would be awesome, who else do you guys think could make a decent Bond?
Aladdin is getting the live-action treatment

They better do due diligence about getting properly ethnic actors.

I can see the merits of each of these statements on their own, but put together, I am so confused.  It's not like I'm expecting anyone to answer, I just have been wanting to say this for awhile and this opportunity came up.

(And yes, I've read the race thread, and I'm both confused AND too intimidated to say so over there!)

I've never heard of a screening embargo.

I read this as a "screaming embargo", and then I saw the clown post, and wondered how a movie theater could possibly make that work.  I don't think it's my night to get things right.

• Love 1
(And yes, I've read the race thread, and I'm both confused AND too intimidated to say so over there!)

Don't feel bad.  I'm black and I tiptoe lightly over there. : )

I've said this before.  I don't want Idris Elba as James Bond; I want him to start a movie franchise as "Luther."  I will always think of James Bond as white, and I think Henry Cavill would be perfect in that role.

• Love 2

I've said this before.  I don't want Idris Elba as James Bond; I want him to start a movie franchise as "Luther."  I will always think of James Bond as white, and I think Henry Cavill would be perfect in that role.

I agree. I adore Idris Elba, but I want him to do his own thing.

Every time I see that someone is producing a "black version" of a previously all-white movie, it makes me sad. Sad because I feel that filmmakers who make these retools feel limited to rehashing old ideas. And sad because people of color are so routinely left out of "Americana" movies like Annie, Steel Magnolias, About Last Night, etc. (I don't know if "About Last Night" would be considered Americana, but you know what I mean).

Edited by topanga
I can see the merits of each of these statements on their own, but put together, I am so confused.  It's not like I'm expecting anyone to answer, I just have been wanting to say this for awhile and this opportunity came up.

I'm guessing you're referring to the implicit double standard?

It's sort of like when people ask why there's a Black History Month when there isn't a White History Month. Why is there a BET and not a WET? The answer is that the two - POC and white people - do not operate on a level playing field to begin with, so there is no reason to treat them as though they do. We've gotten so used to complaining about double standards because they're often used to impose unfair rules upon minorities or marginalized communities (e.g. a guy sleeps around and he's a stud, a girl sleeps around and she's a slut), forgetting that double standards in and of themselves aren't inherently evil. The issue that a lot of people have with whitewashing isn't simply that a character's race is being changed, period, but that a character from an underrepresented/marginalized race/ethnicity is being changed to a character from an overrepresented/dominant race/ethnicity.

That said, IDGAF about Idris Elba as James Bond one way or the other, although it would be nice to see just to piss off the people who were complaining that Idris isn't English enough to play him. But I just don't care that much about Bond. IA that Idris should just do his own thing. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3

Wow, that's a big picture, lol.

For the most part, he's got the look down, especially the grin.  I'm ready to see Hiddleston in a major role besides Loki, so I hope this does well.  But people are getting biopic-fatigue, especially with musicians.  Hopefully, it's got a strong script as well as the performances.  

It looks like biopics are getting away from the life-to-death formula and just focusing on a certain period in the person's life.  Wonder if they're doing that with this one. 

• Love 2

Fivethirtyeight has a podcast and article about predicting movie box office numbers. They interviewed Josh Lynn of Piedmont Media Research who has an algorithm based on surveys using the film’s basic plot and cast to determine a “Consumer Engagement” score.

On Fantastic Four:

In the case of “Fantastic Four,” as a concept, the movie scored about a 385, which is pretty good. [That translates to a] 70-plus-million-dollar opening weekend box office. Now, that movie, with the actors attached, dropped it down to about 320. So what that basically means is you’ve got these actors who are being paid to essentially lose the film money.

On actors affecting the score:

I would say that from all the movies that we’ve looked at, the one actor that comes to mind is Denzel Washington. Every movie that we’ve run with his name in it has increased the score of that film as a concept by anywhere from 30 percent to 40 percent. Didn’t matter what it was.

Sandra Bullock is a really good example of it being very project-dependent. Her and Melissa McCarthy, the alchemy of the two of them together in that movie “The Heat,” that was the single biggest jump that we’ve ever seen. That movie jumped about 90 percent in its scoring from [just the] concept. Now, you can start to figure out: Was it Melissa McCarthy? Was it Sandra Bullock? How would this score if it was Melissa McCarthy and Jenny McCarthy? How would it score if it was Sandra Bullock and Sharon Stone? You can start playing around and making comparisons.