Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Sorry to intrude on your fun, but it's referring to the views that they get during a colonoscopy.  The reason I know is that my Mom had full-blown, genuine, doctor-diagnosed celiac disease.  They could tell because of lesions, I guess it was, and probably other irregularities found in a colonoscopy.

• Like 3
47 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Sorry to intrude on your fun, but it's referring to the views that they get during a colonoscopy.  The reason I know is that my Mom had full-blown, genuine, doctor-diagnosed celiac disease.  They could tell because of lesions, I guess it was, and probably other irregularities found in a colonoscopy.

Well then, all they have to do is--you know--say during a colonoscopy!  Instead, the commercial just sounds stupid.

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Well then, all they have to do is--you know--say during a colonoscopy!  Instead, the commercial just sounds stupid.

I didn't need the colonoscopy part. I knew what they meant.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The MyPillow commercials are back and they're worse than ever.

I've never been able to get through an entire spot. He starts shouting, and I grab the remote. 

• Like 8

My dad told me that his doctor was changing his diabetes medication and prescribing Jardiens. “It lowers your A1C,” he tells me. I was all, “I know, I’ve seen the commercial,” and proceed to sing it to him. 

• LOL 19
(edited)

Oh my goodness, there is a commercial for sex toys on Sirius that is driving me crazy with rage. First, the women's voices are a combo of baby and vocal fry, with some nasal Mae West inflection (I can't describe it but it seems like an old-fashioned "sexy" cliche). But the worst is the way the voiceover girls say "pink": peeenK -- almost as if the K was its own syllable, but not quite. Ugh, it's horrid.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 4
3 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, there is a commercial for sex toys on Sirius

None of the channels I listen to on Sirius have commercials. I thought that was the point of paying for radio - no commercials. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

None of the channels I listen to on Sirius have commercials. I thought that was the point of paying for radio - no commercials. 

Some channels have them (very few) & some don't, Howard Stern does which is no surprise as he brings in the most subscribers & gets paid the most. 

• Like 3
On 6/10/2023 at 11:25 AM, chessiegal said:

Damn Jardiance. I woke up with their stupid jingle in my head this morning. 😬

And now it's in my head too!

I don't object to pharmaceutical commercials in general, but that are some which I find icky and others which drive me up the wall.  The Jardiance commercial is example number 1.

1 hour ago, Shrek said:

Some channels have them (very few) & some don't, Howard Stern does which is no surprise as he brings in the most subscribers & gets paid the most. 

That is what I was listening to.

• Like 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

SiriusXM has 'commercial-free music' but most of the talk and sports programming has some commercials.

Edited by Moose135
17 minutes ago, marceline said:

When exactly did it become standard for insurance company commercials to be "funny?"

Progressive, Liberty Mutual, Geico, etc... they all seem to want to be wacky. 

I blame the damn screaming pig from that Geico commercial.

• LOL 9
On 3/24/2023 at 9:22 AM, OldStandard said:

I know the Lume commercials have been reviled and thoroughly discussed previously.  And I agree that the founder of Lume and the advertising team have made a new art form out of making repulsive commercials.  Last night, after somehow being subjected to a string of them, it occurred to me to wonder - when did our skin become such a source of olfactory offense?  Listening to the verbiage about the plethora of skin sites which without Lume would smell so horrendous as to make us  cause any humans in scent-territory to run screaming off the scene.  I actually take offense at the suggestion that if I don’t use Lume I am committing some sort of anti-human, repulsive and purposeful disgusting behavior.  It makes me want to go out of my way to avoid all of this woman’s products!

The commercials try to make everyone paranoid over their smell.  I don't think people with basic good hygiene are leaving stink wherever they go.  If a shower and clean clothes don't do the trick, there is some other problem.

Here is the thing that haunts me, when she talks about smell tests, I wonder about people who are hired to smell other people's crotches and asses or equally disturbing, the people who are having their crotches and asses smelled.  Ewwwwwwwwww.......

• Like 11
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 5

That stupid Navage commercial where they ask, why is everyone talking about Navage and nasal irrigation? My answer to the ad is, not everyone is talking about it, you are. You're the only one I EVER hear talking about it. 

• Like 11
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 6
11 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

That stupid Navage commercial where they ask, why is everyone talking about Navage and nasal irrigation? My answer to the ad is, not everyone is talking about it, you are. You're the only one I EVER hear talking about it. 

Hahahahhaa! I reacted the same way! Then I remembered that my uncle did once talk about Navage and I, as someone with nose issues, replied. However, we are hardly “everyone” — and it was a long time ago!

• Like 4
On 2/21/2023 at 5:06 PM, janie jones said:

I think because commercials generally are seen as something you do on your way up.

I don't think it really matters, although it seems a bit money-grubbing to me, and even if commercials aren't beneath Paul Giamatti, the weird Einstein role might be.

But I do think actors should be careful about their timing with commercials. Remember when Katherine Heigl was doing cat litter commercials? For all I know she didn't need the work, but after her career kind of slowed, it made it seem like no one else would hire her.

This pin-points a couple of things I think when well known actors are doing commercials.  And yes, I think it is beneath them to use their talent, skill and reputation that way.

• Like 3
On 4/17/2023 at 3:45 PM, Bastet said:

That Jimmy Dean situation is weird, because they produced the commercials after his death.  That's different than continuing to run an old commercial after the spokesperson dies (e.g. the Elizabeth Taylor White Diamonds commercial).  Digging up old narration to use in a different commercial has me rolling my eyes, and in the case of the one with him saying "I wish I could tell you how I feel about a morning like this" has me muttering over the rest of his dialogue with the replacement "But I'm dead, so I can't".

That's the one that bothers me the most.  The people in charge of his estate treat him with such disrespect to create a commercial using that line "I wish I could tell you how I feel about a morning like this".

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
On 6/5/2023 at 2:27 PM, Gharlane said:

I assumed they gave the person a short-term loan and use the paycheck to pay it off, probably with some extra processing fees.

It's not a loan, but truly pays early.  Where I work, we transmit to the payroll service provider on Tuesday of pay week, for the Friday pay date and the payroll is funded on Wednesday.  We require that people have a bank account or debit card for direct deposit and banks have different policies for making deposits available.  Some people do have their pay available on Thursday and most on Friday.  

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Suzn said:

This pin-points a couple of things I think when well known actors are doing commercials.  And yes, I think it is beneath them to use their talent, skill and reputation that way.

I don't mind celebrities doing commercials as long as they aren't morally dubious (either the celebrity or the product!) or in questionable taste or scientifically unproven (ie, some kind of snake oil cure for a condition you didn't know you had because you didn't or that you should consult an actual doctor about).  And those I don't mind it's partly because I convince myself that the celebrity is using the money to go towards the endless causes they're asked to support or to their own foundations.

• Like 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, marceline said:

When exactly did it become standard for insurance company commercials to be "funny?"

Progressive, Liberty Mutual, Geico, etc... they all seem to want to be wacky. 

They're trying to make people forget how incredibly boring insurance is.

14 hours ago, Suzn said:

"I wish I could tell you how I feel about a morning like this...

...I feel dead to the world."

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 3
  • LOL 15
15 hours ago, Suzn said:

As long as they're not advertising something illegal, morally suspect or outright offensive, I'm fine with well-known actors doing commercials.  Guaranteed paychecks are not the norm in the profession and I've got no problem with actors using commercials as a means of putting away some money for the future.  It's not like they're robbing banks.

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

I've got  real hate-on for the Ketel One vodka ads. I think they're trying to portray these people as worldly sophisticates but they're just plain rude. I'm surprised they don't snap their fingers at the poor bartenders. Although the guy on the sailboat is cute.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've got  real hate-on for the Ketel One vodka ads. I think they're trying to portray these people as worldly sophisticates but they're just plain rude. I'm surprised they don't snap their fingers at the poor bartenders. Although the guy on the sailboat is cute.

You mean the man who looks like Hugh Hefner?

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
41 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I've got  real hate-on for the Ketel One vodka ads. I think they're trying to portray these people as worldly sophisticates but they're just plain rude. I'm surprised they don't snap their fingers at the poor bartenders.

Yeah, the first time I saw that, with the first two scenarios being at the bar, I didn't pay close enough attention and thought their "Give me a ..." scenarios were demands being directed at the bartenders, literally "Give me a [drink]" (rather than "I'd like a [drink] or "Can I get a [drink]") as an order, but later realized they're all being directed to the audience, as a bunch of "Give me a [Ketel One drink] and [scenario] and I'd be in my happy place" declarations.  So now I no longer find them rude.  Just possessing delusions of grandeur. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Do different vodkas really taste different?  I find the vogue for boutique vodkas is a bit phony and pretentious (and a money grab).  Especially in a mixed drink.

I can understand that tequila or scotch may have more flavor variance. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 7
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know about rude, but they're certainly all sleazy as hell.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Do different vodkas really taste different?  I find the vogue for boutique vodkas is a bit phony and pretentious (and a money grab).  Especially in a mixed drink.

I can understand that tequila or scotch may have more flavor variance. 

Yes, they do. The distinction may stay with a mixed drink. When I worked at the ATF forensic lab, we were co-housed with the alcohol and tobacco laboratory. I don't remember the reason, but they were testing flavors of vodka. Would I be willing to participate? Hell, yeah.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
4 hours ago, EtheltoTillie said:

Do different vodkas really taste different? 

Absolutely!  Any two or three may taste so similar as to be indistinguishable to many on their own and if you're using it in a mixed drink you could use a wide variety and not have anyone taste the difference between any of them.  But, straight, two could be wildly different than each other, depending on what they are. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
(edited)

My understanding from friends who like hard liquor far more than I is that you can run cheap vodka through a Brita or similar water filter several times and get smoothness typical of the top shelf brands.

Of course I doubt the water filtration systems will advertise that fact!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Like 1
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 2
Just now, Bruinsfan said:

My understanding from friends who like hard liquor far more than I is that you can run cheap vodka through a Brita or similar water filter several times and get smoothness typical of the top shelf brands.

I believe they all would taste like battery acid to me.  I can only drink vodka in mixed drinks. 

• Like 2

The Jardiance ad with the horrible song and the overly perky woman who can't dance (if that's what it's supposed to be) or lip-synch convincingly.  Hate it.

• Like 12
  • Applause 6
  • LOL 1
4 hours ago, Leeds said:

The Jardiance ad with the horrible song and the overly perky woman who can't dance (if that's what it's supposed to be) or lip-synch convincingly.  Hate it.

Every time I see this I wonder what was the casting call like, and what did they do for the audition?  

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Twizzlers has a new commercial in their "deep thoughts" campaign that I find annoying which features a woman in a pool, looking at her reflection in the water and pondering how her 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner works. It annoys me because 1) it's profoundly stupid, 2) it's from a lame 1980's so-called  comedian, and 3) she looks like a total narcist staring at her reflection.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

Everything about that commercial annoys me.

The jingle starts out I have a touch of diabetes. Is that a thing?

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 4
9 hours ago, Leeds said:

It's almost like an acting class -- pretend there's music, and dance.  Then, walk over here and pretend to talk to these people.  Now go over here and pretend to talk about hair and makeup.  Next, pretend to talk about this dress.  The "conversations" she has are so fake-looking.

• Like 9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I finally saw the company the woman who says she looks like her daughter's sister is hawking, it's Serovital, another take a pill and your life will be wonderful additive.    Do people actually think that's how anything works?  

She doesn't look like she's as young as her daughter, and no amount of fillers, surgery, or pills will change that.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, Leeds said:

But I did learn that Jardiance is "really swell" which is about all you can ask from a prescription medicine.

• Like 2
  • LOL 17

I am fascinated by the toe tapping in the Jardiance commercial. Most everyone wears blinding white sneakers - so my gaze drops down to their feet. When the spokeswoman stops dancing and starts to walk, she seems not to know what to do with her feet. So she raises one foot up kind of like a dog (not implying she looks like one - she is attractive) when it picks up a scent. Some of the others do it, too. The entire commercial is terrible but yes, the song sticks with you,

• Like 2
  • LOL 2