Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

When did "You know, from my brain" become a way to describe how you came up with an idea?   Where the hell else do ideas come from, the kidneys?   The 5 dollar bill guy in the Burger King commercials says it.   The crazy Haverty's chair lady said it.   It is so stupid that it makes me want to run from anyone who would actually say that, I definitely wouldn't buy anything these morons are touting.

• Love 1

I'm sorry that so many people are apparently having problems with Light Bladder Leakage

I was doing a survey today about those idiotic Tena pads.  I was having so much fun telling them how disgusting their commercials are and then the thing crashed.  Never got to finish/submit the damn thing.  The Tena pad, y'know, has 864 teeny channels to direct the piss into the absorbent gel.  OMG.

Catheters. Nothing says "AAAAAIIIGGGHHH!!!!!" Quite like one minute about how the new models have "eyelets that are smooth" so they "Don't pull or scrape."

And now there's some "LBL" pill to take, but don't take it if you can't or are unwilling to self-catheterize.  WHHHAAAAA???????

In a local medical clinic ad, the lady says "OH BEE GIN".  As in OB-GYN, only pronounced like what you put in your Gin and Tonic.

I always called 'em the Guy-knob.  I figured you had to be female & see the gyno before you got preggers & had to see the OB, so, really, GYN-OB should be the preferred nomenclature.

And don't get me started on that nutjob for Haverty's.  "Sofa by Emily..."  feh.  It looks like it would smell funny.  Bet it smells like an incontinence pad with 864 teeny channels.

• Love 4
When did "You know, from my brain" become a way to describe how you came up with an idea?   Where the hell else do ideas come from, the kidneys?

Well, there is another part of the anatomy where people have been known to pull ideas out of.

• Love 10

I was doing a survey today about those idiotic Tena pads.  I was having so much fun telling them how disgusting their commercials are and then the thing crashed.  Never got to finish/submit the damn thing.  The Tena pad, y'know, has 864 teeny channels to direct the piss into the absorbent gel.  OMG.

Gives a whole new meaning to the expression 'taking the piss', doesn't it?

Seriously, though, I hate those ads. Do women really jump up and down randomly and start flailing around doing some kind of dance because now they can pee with confidence? It's just bizarre.

• Love 1

Oh dear, Dad fell, adult daughter speeds over to hear from Mom that it isn't serious. Well, it is serious enough for adult daughter to immediately broach the subject of her parents needing , you know, life insurance. Mercenary much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2-VktJXt1E

BTW, can someone tell me what TWoP is? Thanks :)

Three things...

1) Why are they just trusting Mom's account of the story - she probably pushed him of the ladder and he is too scared to say anything

2) geez, how is it when they both come to visit their ill father the first thought on both of their minds is life insurance.  They didn't even go up to check on their dad, they just started to immediately badger Mom about getting life insurance.

3) and the old lady can just stop with the condescending "Mr. Do It Yourself". People, I present the Yogurt Bitch in 20 years.  She probably poisoned his yogurt and thats why he fell off the ladder.

• Love 11

Maybe the daughter's bringing it up wrong, but it is a very important thing to discuss as ur parents get older.

Who's going to pay for their outstanding bills, funeral, and healthcare for the surviving parent? Bills just don't go away when someone dies. They get passed to the nearest surviving relative. And that just might be the oldest child.

Those commercials are cheesy sometimes, but they fulfill a purpose. Just like the $59 bottle of WEN or the car commercials. In fact, they're more important than probably 80% of the commercials out there

Those commercials are cheesy sometimes, but they fulfill a purpose. Just like the $59 bottle of WEN or the car commercials. In fact, they're more important than probably 80% of the commercials out there

Oh, God, that reminds me. I saw Alyssa Milano on one of those WEN commercials this afternoon, and I went from zero to wanting to stab my television in 2.3 seconds. The only saving grace is that she didn't have a reason to say kore-ters this time. Shut up, Lyssie.

Edited by Cobalt Stargazer
  • Love 2

AAG reverse mortgage commercial with Fred Thompson. I just love *sarcasm* how he tosses a (as in one) coin at Jesse to pay for his newspaper. I am getting that there is no tip involved here and poor Jesse has to scramble for the coin to pay for the paper. And where in the typical US town can you buy a newspaper for a dollar or less these days anyway?

• Love 3

A comedienne named Diane Ford once said that the last thing she'd ever want to use is something called breathable panty liners (I don't know either).

The name makes them sound like they were designed to be used as an emergency dust mask. Or maybe that's a safety feature to prevent accidental suffocation.

• Love 2

Catheters. Nothing says "AAAAAIIIGGGHHH!!!!!" Quite like one minute about how the new models have "eyelets that are smooth" so they "Don't pull or scrape." I realize that people DO need these devices, but do we need to see so many ads?

At least Kathy is no longer outraged (OUTRAGED!) about having to clean her catheters. I am still convinced that white cat rubbing her leg at the end is some kind of symbolism.

• Love 2

Who's going to pay for their outstanding bills, funeral, and healthcare for the surviving parent? Bills just don't go away when someone dies. They get passed to the nearest surviving relative. And that just might be the oldest child.

Not in my experience.  After my mom died and there was nothing left in her estate, the bills went away.  It's the survivors that incur the cost of the funeral, so, yeah, that has to come out of their pocket if there's nothing left in the deceased's estate, but hospital bills?  Nope.  Not if the forms were filled out correctly at admittance. And don't let anyone bully you into paying them.

• Love 5

At least Kathy is no longer outraged (OUTRAGED!) about having to clean her catheters. I am still convinced that white cat rubbing her leg at the end is some kind of symbolism.

I've always thought the same thing.

Whenever Fred Thompson comes up in conversation, I always think he's dead. I just checked, and he's still with us.

Yeah, crotchety old Arthur is alive and kicking, although for some reason reading the above made me laugh like hell.

The name makes them sound like they were designed to be used as an emergency dust mask. Or maybe that's a safety feature to prevent accidental suffocation.

Maybe they're for C.O.P.D. sufferers, then.

Not in my experience. After my mom died and there was nothing left in her estate, the bills went away. It's the survivors that incur the cost of the funeral, so, yeah, that has to come out of their pocket if there's nothing left in the deceased's estate, but hospital bills? Nope. Not if the forms were filled out correctly at admittance. And don't let anyone bully you into paying them.

Okay, I don't know abt hospital bills in a non-profit hospital. But at a private hospital, and utility bills I was stuck with.

Nursing home bills WILL go away if they are on Medicare.

How are they going to make you pay?   The bills are not in your name.   As the personal representative of the estate you are not assuming personal repsonsibiity for paying the bills.   You are assuming responsbility to administer the estate.   Talk to your a lawyer about your rights and how to protect yourself here.

• Love 4

And now there's some "LBL" pill to take, but don't take it if you can't or are unwilling to self-catheterize.  WHHHAAAAA???????

It's not a pill -- it's Botox for the bladder!  So you can have the youngest-looking, most wrinkle free bladder in the neighborhood.  Okay, so Botox is actually used medically.  I've had it done for a non-bladder or beauty related issue.  I just really want to push bladder beauty as a positive side effect because the side effects in that commercial are enough to make you buy crates of LBL products even if you don't need them.  

• Love 3

Okay, I never liked Matthew McConaghey until I saw him in True Detective. He was so good in that but he is squandering my good will with those Lincoln commercials.

I know, right? First of all, Matthew McConaghey drives a Lincoln? Sure. Second of all, he's at least got the balls to admit someone is paying him to drive a Lincoln, but persists in the fantasy that he's always driven a Lincoln, even before. Sure. And George Clooney drives a Chevy.

Whenever Fred Thompson comes up in conversation, I always think he's dead. I just checked, and he's still with us.

He just looks dead.

I know, right? First of all, Matthew McConaghey drives a Lincoln? Sure. Second of all, he's at least got the balls to admit someone is paying him to drive a Lincoln, but persists in the fantasy that he's always driven a Lincoln, even before. Sure. And George Clooney drives a Chevy.

He starred in the movie The Lincoln Lawyer (which I thought was very good), so I can see the connection.

• Love 4

Maybe they're for C.O.P.D. sufferers, then.

Only moderate to severe sufferers.

As for the Lincoln Lawyer, it's a series of books by Michael Connelly.  In books after the movie was made, Haller (the lawyer) frequently mentions how having a movie made of his life has changed it.  He also says he (the character) was the one that recommended Matthew McC. to play him.  It can be confusing when art is imitating life imitating art.  LOL

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2

This reminds me of something that happened in South and Central America in the late seventies. After some natural disaster, lots of  Kotex sanitary napkins were shipped to the region. The farmers used them as dusk mask because no one had ever seen one before. Funniest news report ever.

• Love 3

It's not a pill -- it's Botox for the bladder!  So you can have the youngest-looking, most wrinkle free bladder in the neighborhood.  Okay, so Botox is actually used medically.  I've had it done for a non-bladder or beauty related issue.  I just really want to push bladder beauty as a positive side effect because the side effects in that commercial are enough to make you buy crates of LBL products even if you don't need them.  

I saw a Botox ad earlier today for "moderate to severe crow's feet."

• Love 2

Who doesn't know that aspirin helps with pain? The one where the guys needs something for his back and the lady suggests Bayer. He says no he needs something for pain. But aspirin regardless of brand doesn't go only to your neck. That one is annoying.

Hi all,

I'm a couple of pages behind, but I have an aspirin fun fact to share.

I learned from a trustworthy source that aspirin is such a powerful pain reliever that, were it discovered today, the FDA would assign it prescription-only status.  Score!  

Also--and this part is just my opinion--if you keep a bottle of aspirin sitting around in case of heart attack, get a cheapie bottle from the dollar store.  Same ingredient, but it's crumbly and disintegrates in your mouth, which is good.  No wasting time gnawing through that enteric coating when you're dying.

Does anyone else hate that orange juice commercial with the relentlessly cheerful woman singing "Gooooooooood mornin' , good mornin' !" ?  It makes me feel cranky and bitchy.

• Love 4
Does anyone else hate that orange juice commercial with the relentlessly cheerful woman singing "Gooooooooood mornin' , good mornin' !" ?  It makes me feel cranky and bitchy.

Debbie Reynolds from Singin' in the Rain.

• Love 1

Debbie Reynolds from Singin' in the Rain.

Thank you!

Believe it or not, I have an unpleasant memory associated with that movie. 

The brain's a funny ol' thing, isn't it?

Edited by candall

I.saw.a.commercial.for.Christmas.last.night..... the date of last night was September 10, 2014. 

I used to complain about Christmas ads/displays being shown before Halloween. I guess they showed me!!!!

I saw one a week ago. It was Kmart saying it "wasn't a Christmas commercial" (but it was, and also for layaway) but an ad for "maybe you have a birthday in December ad", and smacked of Christianity--there was literally a cake at the end decorated with red and green and "Happy Birthday". I mean, fine if you want to loudly proclaim your religious affiliation (ahem, Hobby Lobby), but don't hide behind "layaway" to do it.

• Love 3

there was literally a cake at the end decorated with red and green and "Happy Birthday".

I thought it said "Merry Birthday" in yet another of the not-cute, unsubtle ( 'cause that's funny,dontchaknow)  layaway-for-Christmas bits. The whole ad was cynical, so I wouldn't automatically say they were "Christians, yay!" More like "We're gonna get money, yay!"

Nature Valley needs to understand "salty" and "assy" aren't exactly the same thing. The 'Salty & Sweet' ad, with the couple hiking around the forest and the stream? She's excited to be where she is, doing what they are doing and enjoying herself (the obvious Sweet.) The guy grumps about everything: the tree they carved their names into? Probably dead. She mentions that the sunset is lovely and he is all "If you like sunsets."   Salty, in current usage, is using "bad" language. This guy is just obviously being assy.

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7R4k/nature-valley-sweet-and-salty-nut-sweet-and-salty-hike

• Love 3

This woman annoys me:

Does putting that bow around your neck indicate you're NOT dressed like a man?  After she takes that Aleve, she sure walks like one.  I don't think I'd like her to plan my wedding, unless, of course, I was a guy marrying another guy.

...not that there's anything wrong with that! (tm Seinfeld)

In the screen shot of the video, she looks like Johann from those annoying coffee commercials.

This woman annoys me:

Does putting that bow around your neck indicate you're NOT dressed like a man?  After she takes that Aleve, she sure walks like one.  I don't think I'd like her to plan my wedding, unless, of course, I was a guy marrying another guy.

LOL! Maybe it isn't Aleve, maybe it's some kind of hormone pill.

I saw one a week ago. It was Kmart saying it "wasn't a Christmas commercial" (but it was, and also for layaway) but an ad for "maybe you have a birthday in December ad", and smacked of Christianity--there was literally a cake at the end decorated with red and green and "Happy Birthday". I mean, fine if you want to loudly proclaim your religious affiliation (ahem, Hobby Lobby), but don't hide behind "layaway" to do it.

It gets worse, bilgistic. Hallmark is advertising that they're gonna do Christmas movies soon. In frigging September.

• Love 1

I saw a Botox ad earlier today for "moderate to severe crow's feet."

Botox..."for moderate to severe vanity"

Which I'm not even knocking because when it gets to be my time I have no problems getting a little "refreshed" every six months.

This woman annoys me:

My question is...why is her creepy ass friend watching her all day to know how many pills she is taking?  Doesn't she have a job to do, or is her job to follow Kathleen around and count pills?  Is Kathleen in some sort of rehab program where that sort of thing is monitored?

• Love 5

I.saw.a.commercial.for.Christmas.last.night..... the date of last night was September 10, 2014.

I used to complain about Christmas ads/displays being shown before Halloween. I guess they showed me!!!!

In the name of one-upsmanship....during the FIFA games, I saw an ad for the Summer Olympics in 2016.... 2 YEARS IN ADVANCE.

Unbe....effing...believable.

As long as they keep calling it CHRISTMAS, I'm okay with that.

It gets worse, bilgistic. Hallmark is advertising that they're gonna do Christmas movies soon. In frigging September.

I was about to post the same thing.  Hallmark is advertising their Christmas movie marathon, where they show nothing but Christmas movies 24/7 (and annoy all us Gold Girls and Frasier fans).  It's going to start on 10/31.  So they are advertising Christmas movies for 2 months, before they play them for 2 months.  Wow.  It's only my love of GG and Frasier that keeps me watching that channel.

• Love 4

As if it wasn't bad enough they pre-empt regular programming for the entire month of December (if not longer) each year to air treacly holiday dreck.

• Love 5