Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, spiderpig said:

This is not how I wanted to wake up on a lazy Sunday morning:

That 15th string Sam Elliott wannabe droning on about Duluth Trading Company underwear and beavers.

Aww, man, don't be harshing on Duluth Trading Company commercials - I love those things! And because I'm 12, I smirk at the "ballroom jeans" and lumberjack dude frolicking nekkid or swinging on a stripper pole because his underwear feels like nothing at all.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 15
2 minutes ago, riley702 said:

Aww, man, don't be harshing on Duluth Trading Company commercials - I love those things! And because I'm 12, I smirk at the "ballroom jeans" and lumberjack dude frolicking nekkid in a meadow or swinging on a stripper pole because his underwear feels like nothing at all.

Well-lll-lll-lll, I guess I can allow you some fun.  Fun is the best thing to have.

BTW, lest I be misunderstood, I adore Sam Elliott (the real one) to pieces. The Dude Abides!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, riley702 said:

Aww, man, don't be harshing on Duluth Trading Company commercials - I love those things! And because I'm 12, I smirk at the "ballroom jeans" and lumberjack dude frolicking nekkid or swinging on a stripper pole because his underwear feels like nothing at all.

Don't forget "plumber's crack"!

• Love 3
13 hours ago, riley702 said:

We love those commercials! The one with the guy squatting in regular jeans and the analagy of getting a beer can smashed.  Lol 

• Love 3

Has anyone else been feasting on March Madness since Thursday and is now ready to blow up the DirecTV marketing department for foisting that godawful annoying cretin on us who is bastardizing "Don't Want to Miss a Thing?"  I'm very disappointed in Greg Gumbel for being a party to the inanity.  I thought he was above that.

• Love 4

Try to slap one of those stickers on me and I will punch you right in the face! Just because I'm an oldster doesn't mean I can't kick your skinny millennial ass. #oldmanstrength

Boy that commercial baffled me even after I realized it was for iPhone 7. Some of the "stickers" were just bizarre. I have an iPhone 5 and it's just fine for what I need thank you very much. I don't even know what "stickers" are supposed to be for. Not much of a selling point if you ask me, unless your target customer is five years old.

• Love 2

This commercial doesn't really offend or irritate, but it plants an earworm that drives me crazy trying to figure out where the little jingle comes from.

"La la la! La-la-la-la. La la!"

Mr. pig thinks the tune is from HR Pufnstuff.

I'm not sure of the advertiser except it's e-something.  Etrade maybe?

Oh, no...they've brought back that commercial for Ohio tourism, featuring that AWFUL singer...."Happiness feels like this...."  BTW, this is not about Ohio, but rather the singer they chose....the worst!!!!

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Oh, no...they've brought back that commercial for Ohio tourism, featuring that AWFUL singer...."Happiness feels like this...."  BTW, this is not about Ohio, but rather the singer they chose....the worst!!!!

Ohio has tourists?  I keed, I keed - I'm from originally from Cleveland, and since I left it's become quite a happening place q.v. Michael Symon, the Cavs and the Indians.  

Haven't seen the spot out here in CA, so will look for it online so I can be tortured.  

ETA:  Found it on youtube.  Singer badly needs an ENT examination.  I cleared my own throat just listening to it.

• Love 1

Hate the California Psychic commercials. The psychics have weird eyes and seem so phony. "I could sense Rebecca's anxiety right away". No, you could sense her credit card would pay for a very long telephone call with her and she probably wasn't calling you because all was well. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Hate the California Psychic commercials. The psychics have weird eyes and seem so phony. "I could sense Rebecca's anxiety right away". No, you could sense her credit card would pay for a very long telephone call with her and she probably wasn't calling you because all was well. 

Seriously, I thought the California Psychic crap was done with in the 70's.  I can't believe they have resurrected this nonsense, and acting like this is a serious solution to one's problems.

• Love 5

I am jumping on the hate California Psychics hate bandwagon! Many zillion years ago when I was having either cable or a satellite installed (I just don't remember, I've gone back and forth to both so many times) the installer told me that his wife had just recently become a telephone psychic. And that she had a script, she wasn't psychic, they will hire just about anyone.

Edited because I love Duluth Trading Company ads, I'm also 12 at times. Haven't seen any in a long time though.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

The psychics have weird eyes and seem so phony.

How shocking.

I love those ads, too, and am embarrassed to say it took me a few airings to understand how the "ballroom jeans" got their names.  In my defense, I'd mostly been hearing the commercial, and when I finally saw it went, "Ohhh."  And then, "Ha!"

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Bastet said:

How shocking.

I love those ads, too, and am embarrassed to say it took me a few airings to understand how the "ballroom jeans" got their names.  In my defense, I'd mostly been hearing the commercial, and when I finally saw it went, "Ohhh."  And then, "Ha!"

As Elaine said: "I don't know how you guys can walk around with those things!"

• Love 6
On ‎03‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 0:00 AM, Magog said:

Aldi may be somewhat cheap & OK, but they're nothing special & its basically "meh". I will take Wegmans over Aldi every time. 

I find a lot of staples tend to be really cheap at Aldi than at the local supermarkets, especially milk and eggs.  (No Wegmans within reasonable driving distance, unfortunately.)  But that commercial is hella annoying.

On ‎03‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, mojoween said:

This is probably hypocritical since I tend to spout movie lines like it's my job, but I hate that douchenozzle in the AT&T ad.

Anyone who yells "Hodor" at the elevator is going to watch me hit the door close button and that FACE he makes with "and don't call me Shirley?" makes me want to punch him in the esophagus.  He is not endearing, AT&T.

I've never seen Tommy Boy, and after seeing the douchenozzle in the AT&T ad spazzing around to "big guy in a little coat", I never want to.  (Plus, I never found Chris Farley funny.)

• Love 7
On ‎03‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, spiderpig said:

What is it about those ads???  If they had commercials running for several minutes about lobster mac and cheese, we'd all be happy.

ETA:  unless we're lobsters.

Or hate seafood, like me.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

Or hate seafood, like me.

"Two lobstah mac and cheese - hold the lobstah for proserpina65!"

What is it with the screaming audio late at night?  The nets deny up and down that the audio is amplified, but we know it is horsepuckey.  I blame Billy Mays, even though he's dead.  Just like listening to a soothing guided meditation on youtube, and as it ends and you're drifting off, a SCREAMING ad comes on and gives you nightmares.

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

What is it with the screaming audio late at night?  The nets deny up and down that the audio is amplified, but we know it is horsepuckey.  I blame Billy Mays, even though he's dead.  Just like listening to a soothing guided meditation on youtube, and as it ends and you're drifting off, a SCREAMING ad comes on and gives you nightmares.

Yeah, the volume on ads has been creeping up steadily and they PROMISED all audio would be equalized.  *grumbles*  *screams*

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Watch Bob Ross on PBS. I loved the guy, but my god he was soporific.

• Love 6

I saw the iPhone sticker commercial last night. I don't get it.

19 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Hate the California Psychic commercials. The psychics have weird eyes and seem so phony. "I could sense Rebecca's anxiety right away".

That's a no-brainer. Anyone calling the psychic hotline is desperate.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I find a lot of staples tend to be really cheap at Aldi than at the local supermarkets, especially milk and eggs.  (No Wegmans within reasonable driving distance, unfortunately.)  But that commercial is hella annoying.

I've never seen Tommy Boy, and after seeing the douchenozzle in the AT&T ad spazzing around to "big guy in a little coat", I never want to.  (Plus, I never found Chris Farley funny.)

See now "Tommy Boy" is a big hit in this household and many times when one of us puts on a coat we will sing that, but we don't do it in a store while annoying the salespeople, who secretly hate that guy.

30 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I wouldn't complain but here's the thing, I worked in a custom paint shop for twelve years and you wouldn't believe how sexist some people could be. Here is an example of many phone conversations I had"

*ring*

Me: "Good afternoon XYZ Paint Store"

Caller: "Is this the paint store?"

Me: "Yes, how may I help you?"

Caller: "Um.. I have a paint question."

Me: Okay how can I help you?"

Caller: "Um... is there uh.. someone else I could talk to?"

Me: "Sure did you have someone in mind?"

Caller: "Well I want to talk to someone that knows about paint."

Me: "Yes, I have worked here many years I can answer your question."

Caller: "Is there a GUY I could talk to?"

Me: "Sure, please hold"

Then I would go get the greenest, newest kid on the staff to talk to them. This happened multiple times a week. After a while I had a very loyal following of customer who trusted me completely, so I could just laugh it off. But I get it.

I went through the same things when I worked in a computer shop.  I also developed a following.  The thing with Ace Hardware, though, is the alliteration (or something similar) that the original lyrics had when it was sung.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, spiderpig said:

WORD. :-)

• Love 2

Speaking of LOUD commercials. I'd like to personally place duct tape on Chrisy Tiegens loud shouting voice in that shampoo commercial. Dont remember the name of the shampoo cause i mute the tv and find something else to do while its on.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, spiderpig said:

I need some happy little clouds in my life right now. :-)

I have taken up a form of art as a hobby, and whenever I am questioned about one of my figures, I respond:  "It's my world.  I can make it any way I want. "

On 3/18/2017 at 6:35 PM, Silver Raven said:

My virtually blind 88-year-old mother has a land line.  She's afraid of technology

Interesting. My mother is the same age and more adept with computers than a lot of younger people I know. However, I bought her a wireless printer and she asked why it had cords. 

• Love 4

The yoplait "protein, protein, protein" carpool ladies. It annoyed me to even type the word "protein" like that. But I don't get why there is such a mean-spirited vibe to it. Like the driver is trying to get the passenger to spill her yogurt by jerking the car. And the look on their faces. It's like they hate each other. Or maybe I'm projecting because I hate THEM. 

• Love 14

The McPick Two Shrew gets on my last nerves. I cannot wait for this promotion to end so I won't have to see her on an hourly basis. I think she's the same actress who played Buffy's college roommate in Season Four of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer." You know, the roommate who wrote her name on everything she owned, including the eggs in the refrigerator, and turned out to be a demon.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, clubsauce said:

The yoplait "protein, protein, protein" carpool ladies. It annoyed me to even type the word "protein" like that.

Could be worse - they could be saying it once for each gram they're claiming. That might have been the plan, but it was too annoying to shoot.

15 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

You know, the roommate who wrote her name on everything she owned, including the eggs in the refrigerator, and turned out to be a demon.

She was literally "the roommate from Hell".

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

peacheslatour, I was a service writer in an auto repair shop in the 80s. I can relate. 

Yep, I'm sure you heard it so often it becomes so predictable that you let the conversation drag out until they say the magic word: Man. I should have laid money on it with my co-workers, I would have been raking it in because at first they didn't believe it was that blatant. We eventually turned it into a game where they would listen in to see how long I could pretend not to know what they wanted until I got them to say it in plain English. Then we would laugh and laugh.

• Love 5

The Cat's Pride ads are very convincing.  They've convinced me that my choice to never, ever, get a cat was a good one.

I'm no prude, but two people screwing is not a picture I want in my head when looking at cars, Volkswagen. It doesn't help that I find the song in the ad irritating despite liking Dean Martin.  Plus, I can only wonder how constantly trading in those autos is affecting their credit ratings.

• Love 3