Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

It might not be false advertising but that's a bit like saying a fib isn't a lie. it's a personal thing. I've just always found celebrity endorsements very insulting. But I'm not impressed by celebrities just because they're famous or on TV and am more likely to not buy something because a celeb is endorsing it.

As for Oprah, she is so completely and utterly NOT like the average WW dieter that it isn't even funny. I don't follow her enough to know if she's kept the weight off using WW. I just always get the impression when seeing those commercials that they are just starting to loose weight. Personally, I would have a slamming body if I had a personal trainer and chef. I wouldn't need WW.

• Love 10
17 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Actually, I have heard that the stylists coat model's hair with wax to get that heavy, shiny look.

I've always wondered about the look of the hair on those commercials. 

7 hours ago, Neurochick said:

As for her being a billionaire, so what; plenty of men are billionaires too.  Seems people get bent out of shape when it's a woman.

I don't think gender has anything to do with it. I think its because Oprah probably has more money than I could spend in a lifetime, and her complaint is that.....she can't eat as much bread as she wants to. Because that's what she means when she says she can't live the life she wants, which just makes her seem like her priorities are way out of whack. JMO.

• Love 15
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

There is no claim on the ads, AFAIK, in regards to Gomez (or anyone) USING the product immediately before filming.  Actually, I have heard that the stylists coat model's hair with wax to get that heavy, shiny look.  Filmed in slo-mo, quite spectacular.

I didn't meant to imply the ad claims she used the product immediately before filming. What I was saying was, if there is a claim in an ad that "I, Famous Person, use Product X, and now my hair looks like this" then unless Famous Person happens to actually be endorsing her favourite hair product (of which I am skeptical), then in order to make the statement true, they could/would/should have her hair person use it on her before filming. IE If you hear them say they use a thing you do not believe they normally use, it doesn't necessarily mean they're lying, it means they used it just for the purpose of being in an ad in which they say they used it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I'll take Oprah over Marie "I lost 50 pounds!" Osmond. That dingaling totally lost credibility for me when she said the worst day of her life was when she realized she was overweight. This from someone who's own son committed suicide.

Marie annoys me because Nutrisystem might have helped, but I give a lot more credit to Dancing with the Stars for her weight loss.

• Love 7

So I watched quite a bit of the Breaking Bad marathon on AMC the last couple of days and WHEW there are some commercials in heavy rotation that are workin' my last nerve (snaps fingers in a 'Z' shape).

• Grey Goose vodka - The Hollerin' Hoochie - some european model woman is throwing a fabulous party with strings of lights everywhere, and feels the need to cup her hand and bellow "WULAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHFHHHGHHHGHHG" at some gent in n friggin' heinous croaky tone, and then follow it up with another awful  "DUU  BLAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH" noise shouted into a damned walkie-talkie.   This commercial makes me rage.
  • Candy Crush - It's Oh So Quiet - others have already covered this abomination. Off-pitch, annoying, just terrible.
  • ASPCA, Humane Society, etc - I know it's for a good cause but these are just tortuous
  • Mypillow -- I'm going to find you Mike Lindell, and I'm going to suffocate you with your pillow. You brought this on yourself bud.
  • Subaru - Put a little love in your heart -  Just ##@$ right off.  Seriously, $#@! OFF!  I can't believe the saturation level of these commercials; they are on every channel, every 10 minutes.  OK, the little asian kid talking about rescuing people off mountains is genuinely adorable.  But the eagle scout who blinks non-stop and shows off his patches...I'm starting to fantasize about him wandering into a crocodile swamp in one of those great national parks he's talking about.  I know I'm going to hell for this. I'm not even going to share my thoughts about the poor girl with no eyebrows and the horrific sack-hat. I'm not a good person.
  • VW - My Hero Zero - Glad to find I'm not the only one annoyed by this.  The terrible "talk-singing" style of the vocalist makes my skin crawl. Awful.
  • Love 12
23 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

My Mom had one of those back when I was a kid. Basically it was a white plastic heavy-duty lazy-susan. I think I used it more than she did, because I'd sit on it and spin in a circle until I got dizzy and fell off. Repeatedly. There was no cable TV or internet back then, so we had to make our own fun.

23 hours ago, DeLurker said:

And concussions.

Concussions never bothered me. You can't make an egg without breaking a few omelets. Er, I mean, can't lead a horse to water before it's hatched.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Especially when she can afford to pay someone to follow her around 24/7 and slap the food right out of her hand. She's got food-slappin' money.

Hell, she could afford to go on a diet where she eats nothing but $100 bills.

And I'm stealing "she's got food-slappin' money."

• Love 16
14 minutes ago, DeaconBlues said:

So I watched quite a bit of the Breaking Bad marathon on AMC the last couple of days and WHEW there are some commercials in heavy rotation that are workin' my last nerve (snaps fingers in a 'Z' shape).

• Grey Goose vodka - The Hollerin' Hoochie - some european model woman is throwing a fabulous party with strings of lights everywhere, and feels the need to cup her hand and bellow "WULAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHFHHHGHHHGHHG" at some gent in n friggin' heinous croaky tone, and then follow it up with another awful  "DUU  BLAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH" noise shouted into a damned walkie-talkie.   This commercial makes me rage.
  • Candy Crush - It's Oh So Quiet - others have already covered this abomination. Off-pitch, annoying, just terrible.
  • ASPCA, Humane Society, etc - I know it's for a good cause but these are just tortuous
  • Mypillow -- I'm going to find you Mike Lindell, and I'm going to suffocate you with your pillow. You brought this on yourself bud.
  • Subaru - Put a little love in your heart -  Just ##@$ right off.  Seriously, $#@! OFF!  I can't believe the saturation level of these commercials; they are on every channel, every 10 minutes.  OK, the little asian kid talking about rescuing people off mountains is genuinely adorable.  But the eagle scout who blinks non-stop and shows off his patches...I'm starting to fantasize about him wandering into a crocodile swamp in one of those great national parks he's talking about.  I know I'm going to hell for this. I'm not even going to share my thoughts about the poor girl with no eyebrows and the horrific sack-hat. I'm not a good person.
  • VW - My Hero Zero - Glad to find I'm not the only one annoyed by this.  The terrible "talk-singing" style of the vocalist makes my skin crawl. Awful.

I think I peed a little laughing. And yes, you are going to hell for the eagle scout death scene, but make room, I will be sittin right next to ya. 

• Love 9
16 minutes ago, DeaconBlues said:

Oh, yes, the Breaking Bad marathon commercials are becoming a tradition unlike any other. I have to admit I didn't know Bjork's version of "It's Oh So Quiet" was a remake of an older, and more awesome, song. Learned that here today. But MAN DID THEY PLAY THAT CANDY CRUSH AD EVERY BREAK.

And yes, I'm sorry, but I'm sick to beyond the point of death of the ASPCA and Humane Society, and there's one for a children's hospital that makes me want to slit my wrists. I don't mean to sound heartless, but DAMN guys. There's one charitable ad I loved -- for Shriner's Hospital. The kids are, to me, charming as hell, and there's one young kid in a wheelchair who is probably the best salesman/spokesperson I've seen for anything in awhile, and he's like, 12. They probably shine extra because it's a commercial for a sick/disabled kids charity that doesn't make me want to put my head in an oven, but I genuinely enjoy those and plan to give next month.

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

I've just always found celebrity endorsements very insulting. But I'm not impressed by celebrities just because they're famous or on TV and am more likely to not buy something because a celeb is endorsing it.

I covet Selena Gomez's gorgeous hair but I'm smart enough to know using Pantene isn't going to give it to me.  Why anyone falls for celebs in advertising is beyond me.  

10 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

Mypillow -- I'm going to find you Mike Lindell, and I'm going to suffocate you with your pillow. You brought this on yourself bud.

Every time I hear him speak I think it's Jesse Ventura.  

Where do I apply to be Oprah's food slapper?

• Love 13
15 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

The problem with these commercials is that if you watch shows "on demand" some channels don't allow you to FF through them.  

I can't stand the ASPCA or the Subaru commercial because commercials like these are made to elicit a response, to make you feel something you weren't feeling before you watched the commercial; they are geared towards people who probably don't give to the ASPCA; but if you already give to them, the commercials just become annoying, I'm like, "yes, I give already!"

And I don't get the Subaru commercials either, because what do people singing, "Put a little love in your heart" have to do with cars?  Again, it's to elicit a response, "look at these cute kids, and if you don't like cute kids, you're an awful person who should die a horrible death!"

It's not that people are cold hearted and don't feel anything, people give when they feel they must; no one should be guilted into giving, people should be made aware that things happen in the world but the decision to give rests with the individual.  

Just my two cents.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

And I don't get the Subaru commercials either, because what do people singing, "Put a little love in your heart" have to do with cars?

"Love, it's what makes a  Subaru." It's their slogan. The extra little charity donation doesn't bother me; people who sell on eBay can also designate a charity contribution. 

• Love 4
17 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

Subaru - Put a little love in your heart -  Just ##@$ right off.  Seriously, $#@! OFF!  I can't believe the saturation level of these commercials; they are on every channel, every 10 minutes.  OK, the little asian kid talking about rescuing people off mountains is genuinely adorable.  But the eagle scout who blinks non-stop and shows off his patches...I'm starting to fantasize about him wandering into a crocodile swamp in one of those great national parks he's talking about.

Awww I like the eagle scout kid, but I agree about the non-stop blinking.  I hope he stops doing that as he grows older because it will get very annoying.  The one who really gets on my nerves is the woman with the dog.  She doesn't even try to sing on key.   

I'm just hoping that the endless, 24/7 ads for sick children and homeless pets will end today, since this is the last day to donate for the 2016 tax write-off.

I'm also sick, sick, sick of the end of year car sales ads.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

Where do I apply to be Oprah's food slapper?

I think you'd have to make the application to a committee: Her personal chef, her personal nutritionist, her personal fork holder, and her personal mouth wiper.

• Love 7

A type of charity ad I haven't seen lately are the "sponsor a poor child in a foreign country" ones.  For awhile there, you could count on Mr. McBeardface holding little Raquel about once an hour.  Now it seems as if they've dropped off the face of the earth.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

A type of charity ad I haven't seen lately are the "sponsor a poor child in a foreign country" ones.  For awhile there, you could count on Mr. McBeardface holding little Raquel about once an hour.  Now it seems as if they've dropped off the face of the earth.

Oh they're still out there.  I see them on the cable channels but perhaps just not as much.

• Love 1

and in addition, there's now one for Holocaust survivors. 

As for end of year car sales, why do dealerships think that announcing they need to sell x number of cars to reach their sales goals is of interest to anyone besides the dealership and it's staff and the car brand?

13 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

As for end of year car sales, why do dealerships think that announcing they need to sell x number of cars to reach their sales goals is of interest to anyone besides the dealership and it's staff and the car brand?

Because if you know they need to move X number of cars by the end of the month/year, you will assume they will give you a good deal to make the sale.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Haleth said:

Every time I hear him speak I think it's Jesse Ventura.  

I thought it was only me.   It's the Minnesota accent.

Lawn Darts weren't for concussions.   They were for putting your eye out.   Concussions were playing dodge ball -- aka "get the weird kid."

• Love 6

So I'm watching New Year's Eve Live with Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin on CNN, and a commercial for Cologuard is in heavy rotation. It's a cancer screening service where you basically poop in a box and mail it into a lab so they can examine it for signs of colon cancer.

OK. Let me preface this by saying I realize colon cancer is a serious issue. But can I just say . . . EWWWWW? I mean - who has that job? I don't envy them. Also, pity the poor UPS guy who has to pick it up and deliver it. Does he know what's in there? Or, what if you take it to the post office? It's not like you can just slap a stamp on it and put it in the mail box. What if you're standing in line at the post office behind someone trying to mail poop in a box?

I overthink things.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

So I'm watching New Year's Eve Live with Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin on CNN, and a commercial for Cologuard is in heavy rotation. It's a cancer screening service where you basically poop in a box and mail it into a lab so they can examine it for signs of colon cancer.

OK. Let me preface this by saying I realize colon cancer is a serious issue. But can I just say . . . EWWWWW? I mean - who has that job? I don't envy them. Also, pity the poor UPS guy who has to pick it up and deliver it. Does he know what's in there? Or, what if you take it to the post office? It's not like you can just slap a stamp on it and put it in the mail box. What if you're standing in line at the post office behind someone trying to mail poop in a box?

I overthink things.

I haven't seen the commercial, nor do I want to look it up so that I invite interesting companion ads to take residence in my browser, but I don't see how that's legal. I guess the company has found a way to do it, but one can't ship "medical waste", right? I know there are notes on shipping labels/boxes saying so.

• Love 1

In the interest of education but at the expense of TMI, I have done the Cologuard thing.  It's a heck of a lot easier than a colonoscopy.  (After having kids and pets nothing makes me squeamish.) It is sealed up very securely in a tub and heavy plastic bag.  No warning labels on the box.  It's dropped off at UPS and is overnighted to a lab in MN.  Yeah, I wondered who has the job of testing the samples.  That's one that ranks well below food slapper.  

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

Really? A whole bunch of poop? I thought it was like those "occult blood" tests, where you just put a smear (or three, from different stools) on a card, let it dry, seal it up & send it off, not forgetting to put the date of the sample on the outside of the card.

• Love 2

This discussion reminds me of taking the cat's "sample" to the vet. I had it sealed like a hazmat sample, and inside a paper bag. I couldn't resist making a corny joke: "Now, don't go mistaking that for your lunch, har har!" I'm sure they'd never heard that before.

• Love 6
On 1/1/2017 at 7:33 AM, Haleth said:

In the interest of education but at the expense of TMI, I have done the Cologuard thing.  It's a heck of a lot easier than a colonoscopy.  (After having kids and pets nothing makes me squeamish.) It is sealed up very securely in a tub and heavy plastic bag.  No warning labels on the box.  It's dropped off at UPS and is overnighted to a lab in MN.  Yeah, I wondered who has the job of testing the samples.  That's one that ranks well below food slapper.  

OK I have to ask, what is a food slapper? And next time I need to do a  colonoscopy I am going  to ask for the Cologard, the test itself  is no problem   the prep is the pits. Also they demand  you have someone  bring and take you  home and I have  no one to do that.

• Love 1

My insurance company sent me a home test kit. They just need a little smear. I haven't done it because it says the results are inconclusive, so I suspect they are phishing to make me come into the office. Or, you have to see the doctor to get the results. Something like that. I have doctor issues. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

OK I have to ask, what is a food slapper? And next time I need to do a  colonoscopy I am going  to ask for the Cologard, the test itself  is no problem   the prep is the pits. Also they demand  you have someone  bring and take you  home and I have  no one to do that.

Speaking as another crazy cat lady, I've taken the Cologuard test for exactly the same reason you're thinking of doing it: no one to provide transportation to and from a colonoscopy. The ad is a bit cutesier than need be but it is as straightforward as advertised.

A food slapper? Upthread we were discussing Oprah waxing poetic about Weight Watchers and how with her money, instead of trying to follow some diet plan she could hire someone to follow her around 24/7 and just slap the food out of her hand.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I overthink things.

The thing that gets me about that commercial is the fact that at the end (and on the website), there's a statement saying that you should not use Cologuard "if you have been diagnosed with a condition that places you at high risk for colon cancer", along with a bunch of other statements along the lines of "if there's a better than average chance you actually have colon cancer, this isn't for you".  

So for the group who needs this most, it's totally useless.  It's a bit like saying "this sinus infection test isn't for those currently suffering from a headache and stuffy nose, or who've ever had sinus infections in the past".

Pardon the pun, but it smells like a scam to me.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Wow, I'm surprised about the no warning labels. Like not even medical samples label or some such?

My daughter is having some GI issues and we need to take poop samples to the lab. I'm not looking forward to this process.

On 1/1/2017 at 2:34 PM, peacheslatour said:

I dunno, is she really your type?

Good catch ,  I meant  " live" , of course   and no she is definitely  not my type ,on many levels ,  but she should  pay well with room and board  I could  do well and end up with something   in savings . I would  get out all my aggression  by slapping the food out of her hand. I did reread that  but I tend  to read what I thought  I wrote  not what I did write. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, piperkat said:

The thing that gets me about that commercial is the fact that at the end (and on the website), there's a statement saying

In the age of liability, they have to excuse themselves from being responsible. That's how I see it, anyway.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I hate the Reese's Peanut butter cups with Reese's Pieces commercial so much. The "music" they play sounds like the needle was stuck on a really bad record.  What the hell is that? 

That reminds me of the atrocious "Daick! Daick! D-D-Daick the halls with boughs of holly! Fa-la-la-la-Daick!" jingle that plays during one of the car ads this season. So effective I can't remember which make!

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, CoderLady said:

A food slapper? Upthread we were discussing Oprah waxing poetic about Weight Watchers and how with her money, instead of trying to follow some diet plan she could hire someone to follow her around 24/7 and just slap the food out of her hand.

Or she could hire two teenage girls to follow her around saying "Ew, that's gross!"(like the old Geico ad).

• Love 8
2 hours ago, piperkat said:

The thing that gets me about that commercial is the fact that at the end (and on the website), there's a statement saying that you should not use Cologuard "if you have been diagnosed with a condition that places you at high risk for colon cancer", along with a bunch of other statements along the lines of "if there's a better than average chance you actually have colon cancer, this isn't for you".  

So for the group who needs this most, it's totally useless.  It's a bit like saying "this sinus infection test isn't for those currently suffering from a headache and stuffy nose, or who've ever had sinus infections in the past".

Pardon the pun, but it smells like a scam to me.

The thing for me was that I have very low risk and for some reason my insurance would not pay for a colonoscopy but would pay for the Cologuard test.  So works for me.  No drinking a gallon of that disgusting liquid draino.

3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Well I would take that job. She seems to lead an interesting live, and I would assume I would get to love with her. There are worse jobs. To bad it is not real.

Hey, now.  Get in line.  ;)

Y'all are getting me super excited for my upcoming gastro doc appointment. I have been having unexplained problems (chronic nausea but no food allergies) and will probably have to have a colonoscopy. I'll ask the doc if I can instead do the poop test that someone on the internet forum saw on a TV commercial.

• Love 11
On 12/31/2016 at 5:39 AM, Haleth said:

I covet Selena Gomez's gorgeous hair but I'm smart enough to know using Pantene isn't going to give it to me.  Why anyone falls for celebs in advertising is beyond me.  

Back in college I lasted half a day as an Annoying Mall Survey Taker - the person who does the actual survey once you got roped in by the Annoying Mall Survey Procurer. After the high-school dropout making minimum wage said she really did believe that the shampoo which cost more than she made in an hour would make her "beautiful", I decided I couldn't be a part of that. It was a print ad, there weren't even any celebs.

1 hour ago, bilgistic said:

Y'all are getting me super excited for my upcoming gastro doc appointment. I have been having unexplained problems (chronic nausea but no food allergies) and will probably have to have a colonoscopy. I'll ask the doc if I can instead do the poop test that someone on the internet forum saw on a TV commercial.

I have heard it said (Craig Ferguson, I think) that they give you really good drugs for a colonoscopy.