Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The Most Interesting Man in the World should play soccer, not football.

I've heard Michael Jackson regrets having made Thriller. Thanks to Party City, so do I.

Edited by Jamoche
  • Love 5

Google Phone is running an ad supposedly shot on a Google Phone that starts with a guy in a helmet floating weightlessly down the street while his shirt billows in the breeze.  The camera then pulls back to show that he's standing on a motorcycle that is driving down a public street.  I find this horrifically irresponsible.

Can't find a video, though.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, CoderLady said:

AT&T must be serious. When Comcast was trying to buy Time Warner a couple of years ago it was going to involve selling off some service areas to other companies for some arcane reason. Since it didn't go through those things never happened. But this looks like it actually will.

AT&T to buy Time Warner

I had to figure out the deal here. The cable company, Time Warner Cable, was bought by Charter Communications, and is now Spectrum. Time Warner is a different entity that AT&T is buying. Here's an explanation...sort of.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business/article110197917.html

• Love 1
On 10/27/2016 at 9:29 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Eliquis.  She's in what seems to be the backyard, gardening & he's puttering around in some peripheral building.  When they finally show the interior, it looks as though extensive renovation had been going on...and she doesn't notice until he screws on the sign "Karen's Pottery" ??  WTF did she think he'd been doing all this time - going in there to sneak hits of Eliquis?

I hate this ad.  And I fully realize it's on me, not them, but that studio he makes her is bigger than my house. And that makes me green with envy and also, I can't relate to those people.

• Love 4

I'll let the ispot description set the scene:

To the upbeat tune of Emilie Mover's song "Happy Day," a woman passes through a series of doors, each time emerging out the other side in a different ensemble. After cycling through workout gear and a travel outfit...

... you think it's an ad for Ross or Target, or some other discount department store. Nope! It's Ford! Because women don't watch Top Gear or dream of driving twisty mountain roads, they can only be reached by tying the product to clothes!

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ar8S/2017-ford-fusion-the-beauty-of-a-well-made-choice

• Love 7

Commercial for some kind of makeup remover that is effective enough for all kinds of various "proof"--waterproof, kissproof, food-proof, etc...and "stayproof." If the makeup were "stayproof," you would not need a special thing to get it off!

And one for Secret: dumb nervous hipster girl practicing to speak to her boss about some shit--"Mr. Boss, I need a favor." Really? You're gonna start by telling him what you need? I suppose Mr. Boss might be casual and very approachable and all...but confidence is one thing, an attitude of entitlement is another! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

Another commercial from Liberty Mutual.  Two women who need their car fixed.  One is happy with her two children in front of the statue of liberty,  and the other is standing in the repair shop with her two brats running in circles around her playing chase or whatever.  As she stands there and lets the little brats behave like animals instead of making them behave . . Ugh.  I'm so sick of brats in ads.  

• Love 16
49 minutes ago, OSM Mom said:

Another commercial from Liberty Mutual.  Two women who need their car fixed.  One is happy with her two children in front of the statue of liberty,  and the other is standing in the repair shop with her two brats running in circles around her playing chase or whatever.  As she stands there and lets the little brats behave like animals instead of making them behave . . Ugh.  I'm so sick of brats in ads.  

They're just mimicking real life.

1 hour ago, DeaconBlues said:

The Facebook Live ad featuring two women with dental "cheek retractor" devices in their mouths cackling like Chewbacca Mom...I mean...I don't even know what to say.  All I can muster is a twitterism:  smdh.

I haven't seen this, thank God, but what in the hell are "cheek retractors"?

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, ari333 said:

IDK if I'm perplexed, irritated,  or scratching my head. Kybella.... a new drug for double chin. No I'm not kidding. Can this be real? HAs anyone else seen this?

It's an injection (series of injections?) to dissolve fat under the chin/at the upper neck, I think. If I had the money to throw away!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

The Facebook Live ad featuring two women with dental "cheek retractor" devices in their mouths cackling like Chewbacca Mom...I mean...I don't even know what to say.  All I can muster is a twitterism:  smdh.

I just saw this.  WTF?!

• Love 1
On October 28, 2016 at 8:19 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh my goodness, I love you! Confession: when I get bored or bummed out, I Google "ugly foods of the past"--and then I cackle at it all night. It's to the point where, if my BF hears me laughing from another room, he might yell, "ugly food again?"

I love, love, love Regrettable Food. I cry-laugh myself into asthmatic fits every time I read it. It doesn't matter if I've read a section several times already. Fits of laughter, every time.

Do that thing that you do, I'll show you a new move. Check out the diggydiggydiggydiggydeedoor!

• Love 4
On Friday, October 28, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Jamoche said:

The Most Interesting Man in the World should play soccer, not football.

I've heard Michael Jackson regrets having made Thriller. Thanks to Party City, so do I.

Present tense "regrets"? Then he really has come back to do the zombie dance...

And TMIMITW should play something interesting, like that weird game from The Prisoner with the trampolines and boxing gloves. Or maybe captain a hussade team. Or be a champion fox-tosser.

11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

And one for Secret: dumb nervous hipster girl practicing to speak to her boss about some shit--"Mr. Boss, I need a favor." Really? You're gonna start by telling him what you need? I suppose Mr. Boss might be casual and very approachable and all...but confidence is one thing, an attitude of entitlement is another!

If hipster girl wants to get that promotion, she might want to do something about professionalizing her hair. Like combing it, for instance.

4 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Also the Chevy commercial with the car in the wall, half inside/half outside.  The woman says the lights are "like an audi".......What the hell does that mean?

Maybe they're trying to say that the lights look like a bellybutton; an "outie."

• Love 2

If hipster girl wants to get that promotion, she might want to do something about professionalizing her hair. Like combing it, for instance.

Haha--maybe the boss man's hair is worse (I say that as someone whose hair is not unlike hipster girl's; it is not on purpose--it just is)!

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

Or she should just go get a job with the Residence Inn hipsters. They look like they're having an awesome time, no ill-fitting blazers required.

• Love 3

The Chevy commercial with the "Audi" lights... I believe one of the ladies says something like "business up front, party in the back." Yeah, I totally want a car that compares to one of the worst haircuts in the history of human follicles. I'm also thinking that an Audi is these people's idea of a fancy schmancy automobile.

• Love 10

I hate (with the heat of a thousand nuns) ,  any commercial in which people dance and sing about their.... vitamins, laxatives, bladder leak pads, or urgency to urinate (Gotta go, gotta go right now.)

On a different note, there is a medicine for constipation with a possible side effect of.... wait for it... constipation.

Another one: "Do NOT give this medicine, (whatever it is,) to children under six ....nor to children 6 to 17. "  Isn't that all children under 18? Am I missing something?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

Another one: "Do NOT give this medicine, (whatever it is,) to children under six ....nor to children 6 to 17. "  Isn't that all children under 18? Am I missing something?

There is one, I remember discussing a while back, that says "not for use" by children under 6 and "not recommended for" children 6 to 17 (or similar age ranges).  I don't know if it's the same one you are referring to, but in that case, it appeared to me that children 6 to 17 can use it, if a doctor feels it appropriate, but should not be used at all for those under 6.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

There is one, I remember discussing a while back, that says "not for use" by children under 6 and "not recommended for" children 6 to 17 (or similar age ranges).  I don't know if it's the same one you are referring to, but in that case, it appeared to me that children 6 to 17 can use it, if a doctor feels it appropriate, but should not be used at all for those under 6.

I see your point, but it was not phrased like that. I wish I could remember the product. I would  get the distinction between those. "Not recommended for" would have tipped me off to the difference, but this one was so oddly phrased that it sounded like the same warning for both age groups.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ari333 said:

I see your point, but it was not phrased like that. I wish I could remember the product. I would  get the distinction between those. "Not recommended for" would have tipped me off to the difference, but this one was so oddly phrased that it sounded like the same warning for both age groups.

I don't know if this is true but I've been told before (I'm being the main problem with the internet right now) basically it boils down to language recommend or required by lawyers. So, for example, if there were one study that concluded, for one set of reasons "under six is out", that causes the requirement for the first warning. Some other study (with different set of reasons) concluded "6-17 is bad", yields second warning. Why they can't just use the reasoning of both to make the statement once, "not under 18", and then cite both things later if prompted, I do not know, but it was basically something about making lawsuits more defensible, and they don't really care whether their disclaimers sound stupid, they care whether the disclaimers sufficiently accomplish what cadre of lawyers tells them it ought to.

Or something like that.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

It's Latuda, I think! Maybe! All I know is that I probably brought it up in the past because it makes me nuts! My friend is a managing editor of medical copy for some health company or other, and she was baffled by it too!

Why they can't just use the reasoning of both to make the statement once, "not under 18", and then cite both things later if prompted, I do not know

More often than you'd think, it's because of no other reason than the copy writers and execs (mainly the latter) for the product are idiots.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

What is up with that ad for a drug treatment center with all the "I was on heroin, but thanks to Shady Meadows Rehab and Waffles, I'm finally cured!" stories, then one sad guy at the end saying "If only my family had insurance, I could have gotten care." So bizarre.

• Love 9
On 10/28/2016 at 11:09 AM, Haleth said:

And any day now we should start hearing Marshmallow World constantly.

I want you to know that this song has been playing in my head since your post. I don't need to see the commercial. Fortunately, I like Dean Martin, so you are spared.  

Oh, the world is your snowball, see how it grows
That's how it goes, whenever it snows
The world is your snowball just for a song
Get out and roll it along

Paybacks are hell.

Regarding the drug warnings, there's one that admonishes "do not take this drug if you are allergic to it or its ingredients," that tells me people are taking it when they shouldn't. The doctor gave it to them, so they take it.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Why they can't just use the reasoning of both to make the statement once, "not under 18", and then cite both things later if prompted, I do not know

It looks like they're taking a straightforward interpretation of a federal requirement to identify any groups that shouldn't take it, and those are the two groups. Combining them may create an opening for scrutiny by regulators that the company wants to avoid.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, ennui said:

I want you to know that this song has been playing in my head since your post. I don't need to see the commercial. Fortunately, I like Dean Martin, so you are spared.  

Oh, the world is your snowball, see how it grows
That's how it goes, whenever it snows
The world is your snowball just for a song
Get out and roll it along

Paybacks are hell.

Regarding the drug warnings, there's one that admonishes "do not take this drug if you are allergic to it or its ingredients," that tells me people are taking it when they shouldn't. The doctor gave it to them, so they take it.

I'm starting to wonder if Target's ad team doesn't sift through a bunch of songs and then deliberately choose the earworm-iest for use in their commercials.

• Love 4
55 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

I'm starting to wonder if Target's ad team doesn't sift through a bunch of songs and then deliberately choose the earworm-iest for use in their commercials.

I temped at an ad agency once, and they choose from a pool of what's available and what fits the budget. They don't spend a lot of time on big decisions.

• Love 2
45 minutes ago, ennui said:

I temped at an ad agency once, and they choose from a pool of what's available and what fits the budget. They don't spend a lot of time on big decisions.

Maybe so, but it's fun to consider that they're messing with us!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, bitchin camaro said:

What is up with that ad for a drug treatment center with all the "I was on heroin, but thanks to Shady Meadows Rehab and Waffles, I'm finally cured!" stories, then one sad guy at the end saying "If only my family had insurance, I could have gotten care." So bizarre.

Plus, the fake "doctor" reminds me of Doogie Howser.  It really is a bizarre commercial.

• Love 4
On 10/31/2016 at 1:47 PM, theatremouse said:

, for one set of reasons "under six is out", that causes the requirement for the first warning. Some other study (with different set of reasons) concluded "6-17 is bad", yields second warning.

At what age do children transition from the pediatrician to the big people doctor? 

• Love 1

I'm sure this is local but there are probably others like it all over the country. Some ad for a drug trial that asks "Do you use cocaine?" Some drug trial looking for coke users I guess. Sounds like a trap! Like cokeheads show up, admit they're on coke, and the cops come in and arrest them.

• Love 6