Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

For the most part, I don't care who wears what where, but I hate the word "bralette."

Kinda sounds like mini bra when it's more like a cami bra.  Have to confess, I wore jackets with lace bras when I first started working. Also wore men's dress shirts with belts as a dress.  And men's boxers as shorts.  While occasionally someone digs out a photo for #TBT, I'm thankful cell phones didn't really have cameras back then.

• Love 5

I guess it's not all that different than the bustier as outerwear trend from the early '90s, and I looked up what I think is the commercial in question online and they look like lacy bikini tops.  And there are situations in which it's perfectly fine to walk around in a bikini top and shorts/skirt, so I guess it also works to wear one of these things under certain circumstances and the commercial didn't show anyone wearing these to work or anything like that.  It just seems like an odd ad campaign, though.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Brattinella said:

That was exactly my perception of the daughter.  Poor dad, in pain and can't stand up, so she throws this hateful look at him for it!  GAH! Ungrateful wretch!

My husband has needed back surgery for years but refuses to do it, so whenever he grimaces from pain I probably give him the same exasperated look.  Just get the damned surgery already and start living a pain free life!

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 4

Don't get me wrong - the little girl in this Boston Market commercial is very cute. But her vocal fry and the ridiculousness of the line they wrote for her to deliver makes me hit Mute. 

Heh. Whenever a commercial tries to break the nuclear family mold and be modern by showing a father/daughter scenario my mind immediately goes to "OMG is the mother dead? She's dead isn't she? Why else would this guy have to bring home Boston Market and have dinner alone with his daughter? I wonder what the mother died of."

Probably not what Boston Market was going for.

• Love 11

Well, in the case of a friend of mine, he's raising both his son and daughter because (divorced) mom ran off to be a stripper with the breast implants he paid for.  Court gave him full custody.  So, although she's not dead, she might as well be.  Never expressed ANY interest in those kids until she had more babies (yet another poor fool she bamboozled) and wanted a baby sitter.  Somebody needs to put a cork in her to stop her from procreating.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, in the case of a friend of mine, he's raising both his son and daughter because (divorced) mom ran off to be a stripper with the breast implants he paid for.  Court gave him full custody.  So, although she's not dead, she might as well be.  Never expressed ANY interest in those kids until she had more babies (yet another poor fool she bamboozled) and wanted a baby sitter.  Somebody needs to put a cork in her to stop her from procreating.

That's tragic. Those poor kids.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2016 at 8:28 AM, CoolWhipLite said:

Don't get me wrong - the little girl in this Boston Market commercial is very cute. But her vocal fry and the ridiculousness of the line they wrote for her to deliver makes me hit Mute. 

I couldn't find it on youtube, and I don't know how to embed videos from iSpot...

https://ispot.tv/a/Arve

Is that the girl who raspily whines: Marsalalala?  I mock her every time.  I'm all adult like that.  /s

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Lola16 said:

Is that the girl who raspily whines: Marsalalala?  I mock her every time.  I'm all adult like that.  /s

Oh yes -- that's the one. And after she growls Marsalalaa, she can't get that fork in fast enough. If that's the best take they filmed, I can't imagine what the rejected ones are like.

• Love 2

I'm getting REALLY tired of the Peloton commercial.  You know, the stationary bicycle in the triple-decker glass house in the forest that simply HAS to be a Frank Lloyd Wright copycat house, obviously worth millions.  And the announcer saying "in your house" like this is a normal house, with a sleepy boy dragging his blankie downstairs.  This bicycle-thing has got to cost a fortune, too.  Anyone here own one?

• Love 6
On 9/1/2016 at 0:31 PM, iMonrey said:

Heh. Whenever a commercial tries to break the nuclear family mold and be modern by showing a father/daughter scenario my mind immediately goes to "OMG is the mother dead? She's dead isn't she? Why else would this guy have to bring home Boston Market and have dinner alone with his daughter? I wonder what the mother died of."

Probably not what Boston Market was going for.

Okay, you got me to watch it with more attention than it merits.  At 00:22, when he asks how her meal is, it looks like he has a wedding ring on.  At the end of the commercial, it looks like a purse, yoga mat, and maybe a gym bag are sitting on the chair on the left.  Still, those could be his...  Or he couldn't bring himself to get rid of the ring and her belongings after she tapped a food truck and then a tree...

3 hours ago, Lola16 said:

Ashamed to admit this: I find it incredibly therapeutic to cuss out children on TV.  Especially on Chopped Junior and any of the Jeopardy! kids tournaments.  It doesn't take much to get me hurling expletives at them.  Try it.  You'll feel better.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, erikdepressant said:

Ashamed to admit this: I find it incredibly therapeutic to cuss out children on TV.  Especially on Chopped Junior and any of the Jeopardy! kids tournaments.  It doesn't take much to get me hurling expletives at them.  Try it.  You'll feel better.

LOL!  I love this!  Since you aren't allowed to do it in real life anymore.

• Love 6

I live in South Mississippi and this commercial has been on the local channels a lot. U-verse airs commercials from the capital city Jackson and surrounding areas which are over 150 miles away on non local channels so at least it doesn't air between every show I watch on TV. The line about how "the devil isn't going to get these children" who've lost their way is the part that drives me up a wall. The only place I could find this commercial online was Facebook.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jaded said:

I live in South Mississippi and this commercial has been on the local channels a lot. U-verse airs commercials from the capital city Jackson and surrounding areas which are over 150 miles away on non local channels so at least it doesn't air between every show I watch on TV. The line about how "the devil isn't going to get these children" who've lost their way is the part that drives me up a wall. The only place I could find this commercial online was Facebook.

The way he says "the devil" part almost makes it sound like he knows he's sneaking it in. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I'm getting REALLY tired of the Peloton commercial.  You know, the stationary bicycle in the triple-decker glass house in the forest that simply HAS to be a Frank Lloyd Wright copycat house, obviously worth millions.  And the announcer saying "in your house" like this is a normal house, with a sleepy boy dragging his blankie downstairs.  This bicycle-thing has got to cost a fortune, too.  Anyone here own one?

Any gear that offers you, like, a $200-off (!!!) coupon on a commercial is likely gear I cannot afford with or without a discount! (I don't actually know if this thing has a coupon like that, but I've seen other workout stuff that does--Treadclimber, maybe?)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I looked it up -- the bike costs $2000, but you have to subscribe to the streaming classes for an addition $39/month. 

I think there must be a joke about people who live in glass houses, but I'm blank today.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Jaded said:

Whoever designed the "Hog Ride" logo did a terrible job; it looks like "Hag Ride."

• Love 4

I mentioned my hatred for those moronic Liberty Mutual commercials over in the Peeves thread, and noticed that there were comments here also, and I'd like to add to it--something I forgot to do when I initially posted--and that is, that these idiots seem to think that just by paying your premiums on time and regularly, like a good customer, means that they shouldn't get their rates increased when they get into accidents or cause damage to their car, etc., etc. Riiiight. And that they (and I know they're all actors) expect "us" meaning the viewers, to really believe that Liberty Mutual wouldn't raise their rates if they did the same thing under Liberty's policy?

Also, Liberty, out of the insurance companies I looked at a few years ago, had the highest premiums, including whatever "extras" they had.

The insurance I do have now, provides FREE TOWING SERVICE, and a reduced premium for other things, which I'm blanking on right now, but I'm happy with them. Been with them for 10 years now.

And even if it turned out I didn't really need towing, but just enough gas to get to the nearest gas station, the tow service would bring that much gas, and I still didn't have to pay for it, or the gas. Let me tell you, your car breaking down in 95+ degree heat in the middle of the afternoon? Not fun. And since my stupid gas gauge sucks, I thought I had enough to get me to the gas station, which was about a half mile way, but clearly not. So, no thanks, Liberty, I'm so not interested.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6

And along those lines, I really hate the one where the guy got into an accident and his insurer was like "You chose the wrong plan." And he says "No, I chose the wrong insurance company." And then the ad launches into accident forgiveness or whatever product they are pushing. Forgive me for being confused, but don't you have to select most of these items as part of your coverage? In other words, choose your plan? And if all of these things are magically covered under Liberty's standard plan, aren't you probably paying out of the nose for it in the first place instead of just adding the coverages you want? Tell me again why this is better? On the whole, most of the ads are just meh, but this one really annoys.

• Love 10

I always think the Liberty insurance ads are directed at people who are stupid and have no idea how insurance works.  And they are exactly the kind of people, who, after getting into an accident and discovering they have to pay the deductible, will decide "this insurance company sucks"  and switch to another company.   But the same thing will happen with Liberty, they just don't know it yet.

(and they name their cars "Brad")

• Love 13

Can't stand the Entresto commercial, either. Could they have found more unattractive people?   

I also hate the Allstate commercial with the freaky dude who's at the spa. What does that have to do with insurance.  I can't explain why, but the guy bugs the crap out of me. 

The newest Progressive commercial that tries to be a takeoff on TMZ is the worst.  The guy standing, holding the coffee cup is terrible.  When are they going to retire Flo?   It's long overdue.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, backformore said:

I always think the Liberty insurance ads are directed at people who are stupid and have no idea how insurance works.

They're clearly directed at us because we can't stop talking about them.

• Love 8

The two Yahoo fantasy football commercials--the one where the father changes his son's name to Delores Sucksatfantasy and the office one where the name of the WiFi is now "Who is the worst ever at fantasy?"(with the password "doug," because "Upper case is for winners")--can both go away any time.

10 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Can't stand the Entresto commercial, either. Could they have found more unattractive people?   

I also hate the Allstate commercial with the freaky dude who's at the spa. What does that have to do with insurance.  I can't explain why, but the guy bugs the crap out of me. 

The newest Progressive commercial that tries to be a takeoff on TMZ is the worst.  The guy standing, holding the coffee cup is terrible.  When are they going to retire Flo?   It's long overdue.  

So who IS the doofus Allstate guy at the spa?  Someone's son, brother-in-law?  He sure isn't an ACTOR.

27 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Devour.

Tag line "food you want to fork."

A commercial called "lunch spank."

How is any of this appetizing?

This commercial never fails to make me laugh.  "Did you just spank your lunch?"  "Yes."  "NICE."

And that mac n cheese with bacon looks spectacular!

44 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

So who IS the doofus Allstate guy at the spa?  Someone's son, brother-in-law?  He sure isn't an ACTOR.

This commercial never fails to make me laugh.  "Did you just spank your lunch?"  "Yes."  "NICE."

And that mac n cheese with bacon looks spectacular!

Lol, the ad bugged me so much I didn't care about the food anymore!

If I'm thinking of the same Allstate ad, it is an actor. Adam DeVine. He plays Bumper in the Pitch Perfect movies.

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, ivygirl said:

Lol, the ad bugged me so much I didn't care about the food anymore!

If I'm thinking of the same Allstate ad, it is an actor. Adam DeVine. He plays Bumper in the Pitch Perfect movies.

I should have said "He can't ACT".

Sorry, I'm old and have never nor would I ever see anything with that guy in it.

• Love 1

Adam DeVine sucks. He's also in Modern Family and is just so unlikeable. I've read (in the Modern Fam thread actually) that he's better in other stuff but the only other stuff I've seen is the 2 commercials he does. I don't get the appeal. And find it hard to believe that he appeals to anyone.

• Love 4
On August 29, 2016 at 1:45 PM, mmecorday said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Ms. Jennifer Aniston for Eyelove:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ArMl/eyelove-dry-eyes-featuring-jennifer-aniston

Since her film career has kind of fizzled, does she feel the need to endorse every product in sight? (No pun intended)

Every time I see that commercial, I think of the episode of Friends where the entire cast has to pin her down to put eye drops in her eyes. 

• Love 6

I don't like Tiny Fey at ALL; I think she's an elitist leftist who thinks she's funnier than she really is, but I keep seeing these ads for AmEx with her going on weird spending sprees and stealing TV show ideas from people or bargaining for other airline passenger's food! These ads are sppsd to be "cute" but they just piss me off!

• Love 6

If it annoys you it annoys you, so hey, you do you, but I don't think the one with Michael Che is intended to imply she's "stealing" TV show ideas. They're sitting together and pitching ideas back and forth. The scene reads to me like they're working together on an upcoming project, and trying to decide what it should be. That kind of lunch-date-brainstorm struck me as an entirely normal thing comedian-friends might do together.

The only part I wasn't sure of was whether the satire is supposed to be: that they're pitching such absurd puntastic shows (intentionally absurd for purposes of the ad and playing off the current state of what would/wouldn't get picked up), or if the commercial-version of Fey and Che are aware and intentionally spitballing goofy punny titles and premises, not as any kind of real thing they might do, but more like a game played between them when they have lunch, to list the silly types of pitches. Or if they're listing the types of fake-sitcoms that might be a sketch on SNL (so, real idea, but still fake show).

• Love 2

I don't know if it's on regular TV, but I keep seeing this HPV vaccine ad on Hulu where there's a young adult talking about how HPV can cause cancer. Then it shows a kid-version of them with the voiceover of how if you get the vaccine, you won't get cancer, and I wonder if my parents knew that. Then the kid says "Did you, Mom? Dad?" and it's so ugh with the "I guess you want your kids to get cancer if you don't vaccinate them!"

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I don't know if it's on regular TV, but I keep seeing this HPV vaccine ad on Hulu where there's a young adult talking about how HPV can cause cancer. Then it shows a kid-version of them with the voiceover of how if you get the vaccine, you won't get cancer, and I wonder if my parents knew that. Then the kid says "Did you, Mom? Dad?" and it's so ugh with the "I guess you want your kids to get cancer if you don't vaccinate them!"

Seriously, this is the most annoying ad on TV.

• Love 1

I'm watching a lot of the US Open (big tennis fan), so unfortunately I keeping see the same damn commercials over and over. Besides Liberty Mutual (a given), the ones that are driving me most nuts are the new Tina Fey commercials for American Express.

It's strange to me how a lot people I know who are very anti-corporate, and consider actors "sell-outs" for doing commercials, somehow think it's cool when a hip celebrity like Tina Fey or Seth Rogen or Amy Poehler or Amy Schumer is in commercials. To me it's worse, because they're making money off their hip image so that some omni-mega-evil-corp can appear cool, especially to the younger demographic. (clearly the target).

The most annoying of the many Tina Fey commercials is the new one where she tries to bribe a fellow passenger on an airplane into giving her his salad by paying for his in-flight movie with her AmEx card. Apparently having an AmEx card enables you to run roughshod over mere mortals, who can't afford to have both the salad they wanted and pay for their in-flight movie. (And if he was giving her the salad because she's Tina Fey, he's an idiot, because he could've held out for at least a grand or two).

• Love 7

My take on the HPV vaccination commercials are a lot of people still don't know the link between HPV and cancer. As someone who is dealing with possibly cancerous cells as a result of HPV I appreciate that they are trying to educate. I also appreciate that there is a male in the ad since so many think HPV is just a slutty woman's disease.

• Love 15
10 hours ago, theatremouse said:

If it annoys you it annoys you, so hey, you do you, but I don't think the one with Michael Che is intended to imply she's "stealing" TV show ideas. They're sitting together and pitching ideas back and forth. The scene reads to me like they're working together on an upcoming project, and trying to decide what it should be. That kind of lunch-date-brainstorm struck me as an entirely normal thing comedian-friends might do together.

The only part I wasn't sure of was whether the satire is supposed to be: that they're pitching such absurd puntastic shows (intentionally absurd for purposes of the ad and playing off the current state of what would/wouldn't get picked up), or if the commercial-version of Fey and Che are aware and intentionally spitballing goofy punny titles and premises, not as any kind of real thing they might do, but more like a game played between them when they have lunch, to list the silly types of pitches. Or if they're listing the types of fake-sitcoms that might be a sketch on SNL (so, real idea, but still fake show).

I didn't realize she was bantering with a comedian, I figured it was some random stranger seated next to her and her motives for paying for his food weren't exactly pure, as in "I'm buying your food but will make MILLIONS when I use your ideas for my new TV show!".

8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I like(d) Tina Fey, but she's insufferable in those American Express ads. I HATE those stupid ads.

THAT'S the word I was trying to think of!

• Love 1

This may seem splitting hairs, but let's keep the talk about a commercial for vaccines to the commercial itself and not the various research etc. For some reason, vaccine talk brings out the same passionate feelings as politics and it tends to make the conversation turn to sniping. 

Thanks!

I've got a real WTF one: the Johnsonville Bratwurst commercial with the guy who explains how "his" commercial starts with him in the woods (?) eating Johnsonville brats and various forest creatures inquire about said bratwurst until one of them asks how it is he can speak to animals and he replies "I read books" and then the forest animals all have a good chuckle. 

I. Don't. GET IT.

• Love 3