Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Anyone seen, (heard) the new fruit by the foot commercial with the kid and the puppet? They're splitting a fruit strip, each with an end in their mouths, sitting in total silence just a-smackin' and a-chewin'. All you can hear is saliva. Even from the puppet.

• Love 1

I'm a night owl and this commercial seems to like to run late at night and in the early morning hours on channels I like to watch. It scores the trifecta with me when it comes to irritation, annoyance and causing feelings of rage.

• Love 4

The Campbell's soup people are starting to annoy me.  I don't mind the commercial with the guy on the couch with the cold trying to guilt his wife/girlfriend into making chicken soup, but their other two commercials in rotation annoy the heck out of me.  I can't stand that kid whining about his R2D2 soup, and don't even get me started on the snow day commercial where the mom grabs a bottle of wine when she hears that schools are closed.  Are her kids that horribly behaved that she needs a bottle of wine to deal with them being home for an extra day or two?

Are her kids that horribly behaved that she needs a bottle of wine to deal with them being home for an extra day or two?

Well, it is a commercial. If you've seen commercials ever, the kids are probably the kind to jump up and down on the dishwasher door, scream about how their mom has a headache and to be quiet, or behave like Damien and/or Rhoda Penmark because there are no Halos in the house.

• Love 16

I know I'd need something stronger if my 10 year old were home all day playing her harmonica. I am deeply grateful that the music teacher in her school is so involved and inspiring to the kids, it makes a huge difference. But why, whyyyy, WHYYY did he make a harmonica club???

Also for this scenario: Mom...it's a snow day!!! YAYAYAYAY!!!!! Can we go outside and play??!!! Of course, because it's good to go outside and get some fresh air. 15 minutes they're back inside. MOOOOM!!! Can you help us make a snowman?! Nope because I'm 41 and I realized at your age that playing in the snow is cold and wet. 20 minutes later they come back in, ask for help making hot chocolate. An hour later this repeats. 

Sometimes the kids can be great and cooperative, but after a day of games and shit, you need a few bottles of wine.

• Love 14

All the Hardees commercials make me sick. It is all the slurping and smacking and cramming huge portions in their mouths bc they cannot contain themselves. . PLus I loathe their greasy food anyway. 

Am I thinking of Hardees or something else? Anyway, I don't enjoy any of them except Arby's and BK. I know. Im weird. ;-)

Its making me grateful that there are no Hardee's in New Jersey. Besides, I rather go to Chick Fil A. The cows are very amusing to me & I always love it when the Chick Fil A mascot in their restaurants go outside & show their enthusiasm for the place. 

I'm going to a Super Bowl party on Sunday & there is no way in hell that I'm going to get All Day Breakfast at McDonald's for a Super Bowl party. That commercial is worthless & I wish that McDonald's would stop bragging about their All Day Breakfast like they invented the wheel. I still can't get my chicken nuggets at 8 in the morning. 

I also wouldn't be caught dead ordering anything from PaPa John's. There is nothing special about ordering a large pizza from them online (which is stupid & pointless) & the second pizza is worth 50 cents. Their pizzas are horrible & I'm very thankful that I'm getting a very quality pizza at Wegmans (the complete opposite of Wal-Mart Supercenter) & won't have to worry about throwing up over crappy pizza. Their CEO is a jerk & I hope that the Broncos lose on Sunday so that I don't have to hear him bragging about it on a future commercial. Its infuriating that the NFL sponsors this garbage. I also think that JJ Watt (Houston Texans) is overstaying his welcome by even showing his face in these commercials.

Speaking of the Super Bowl, why do companies show previews of their Super Bowl commercials before the game even airs? Already, there are several of them on Youtube already. I don't want to see any of their commercials till the big game. Most of these commercials are either really crappy, not funny, very irritating, or all sizzle & no steak. Its not like most of these commercials will be creative or funny & I'm going to remember it a week from now. 

"I love bread. I love love love bread..."

Oprah, please go away.

"I love me.  I love love love talking about me..."

-Fixed it for ya.

There's a new Dole commercial that I'm already sick of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lry936d9nz4

I know it's not what she says, but what I hear is "I am morally superior to you because I drain it instead of drinking it like a greedy unhealthy pig."

Shut up, skinny bitch.

Edited by 88Keys
  • Love 5
There's a new Dole commercial that I'm already sick of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lry936d9nz4

I know it's not what she says, but what I hear is "I am morally superior to you because I drain it instead of drinking it like a greedy unhealthy pig."

Shut up, skinny bitch.

Although I too am sick of that ad, for me it's the woman who's bragging about how she drinks the liquid from the cup instead of draining it because the fruit is still in its natural juices. She just sounds so snotty, like, "I am smarter than you because I bought the healthy snack." Like, who even cares? The fact that they're both eating fruit means they each have half a chance of eating something that's good for them no matter what its packed in, so who gives a shit?

• Love 4

I absolutely hate the people in this commercial.  Why? You ask?  I don't know.  But I do hate the way they make people "fake talk" in these commercials.  I always try to lip read to see what they are talking about.  I'm not good at it sadly.

• Love 3

Although I too am sick of that ad, for me it's the woman who's bragging about how she drinks the liquid from the cup instead of draining it because the fruit is still in its natural juices. She just sounds so snotty, like, "I am smarter than you because I bought the healthy snack." Like, who even cares? The fact that they're both eating fruit means they each have half a chance of eating something that's good for them no matter what its packed in, so who gives a shit?

I've said it before, but I don't drink or drain the liquid when I eat those. I spear the pieces of fruit and let the goop drip off before putting it in my mouth.

• Love 1

I'm a night owl and this commercial seems to like to run late at night and in the early morning hours on channels I like to watch. It scores the trifecta with me when it comes to irritation, annoyance and causing feelings of rage.

OH MY GOD, ugh. "YOU NEED RELACORE!" And it keeps saying "pure body fat." Like, where else would the fat be but the body?! Is this the one that shows "case profiles," and both of them start out, "Like so many of us..."? I copy edit for a living and I am constantly having to knock out too-close-together duplicate phrases from ad copy and it makes me crazy. I mean, just start the second (likely untrue) story with something else.

NeeYOOdle!

DOUBLE UGH! I hate, hate, hate "neeYOOdle"...and "nee-oo" and especially "fee-ood."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

Is seer-up a midwest thing? Do you say sir-up? Do you grill out with your sirrup? It's funny how regional some of these things are.

NO. It's not a Midwestern thing. We eat sir-up, not seer-up. We do grill out, though.

• Love 2

Both sides of my family are from Pennsylvania and the call it "surple" I should ask them why some time.  Dunno, maybe it's just an in joke between my parents.

It may be a nod to Roger Miller's "Dang Me" where he sings, "Roses are red, violets are purple. Sugar is sweet and so's maple surple."

• Love 7

*raises hand*

It isn't just Marie, either. Between her, Oprah, Kirstie and Alyssa, they're basically selling people the right to get on an endless treadmill of losing weight and gaining it back if they stop monitoring their calories or whatever the hell else. It's a really nice racket, I'm sure, but it's also as obnoxious as shit.

Speaking of obnoxious:

As much as I love how unimpressed and annoyed the woman in the ad is, it's very weird to imagine the skeevy talking box having a cavity search.

• Love 8

It may be a nod to Roger Miller's "Dang Me" where he sings, "Roses are red, violets are purple. Sugar is sweet and so's maple surple."

Thank you! I knew I knew that "maple surple" line from somewhere, I just couldn't remember from where.

• Love 2

Thumbs up for the goofy songs of Roger Miller.  A friend's dad looks so much like him we call him Roger Miller.

I know this has been around for some time now, but I seem to be seeing it a lot lately -- the Eggo commercial where the whole family argues over whose Eggo it is by declaring their intentions to post a picture of their Eggo on social media.  First of all, whoever put the damn thing in the toaster can lay claim to the Eggo, so why are they arguing over whose it is in the first place?  Second, every one of these people has nothing better to do than take and post a photo of their breakfast?  Who gives a shit what you're eating, period, but especially when you're eating a frozen waffle in your own kitchen?

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8

Regarding the sir-up vs. seer-up controversy (surely the most momentous issue since the pirates vs. ninjas scandal): I always pronounce it "do you have any jam instead?"

I see that Frat Boy Lincoln and Douchebag Jefferson are back, trying to get me to buy a Honda for President's Day and/or Valentines Day. Presumably they appeal to the sort of customer who buys a car and names it Brad.

• Love 9

It isn't just Marie, either. Between her, Oprah, Kirstie and Alyssa, they're basically selling people the right to get on an endless treadmill of losing weight and gaining it back if they stop monitoring their calories or whatever the hell else. It's a really nice racket, I'm sure, but it's also as obnoxious as shit

It would be less obnoxious if any of these weight loss programs could end up in weight loss that LASTS -  instead, we have to watch the same celebrities gain it back, then come back on TV and tell us about ANOTHER weight loss plan.   

• Love 5

It would be less obnoxious if any of these weight loss programs could end up in weight loss that LASTS -  instead, we have to watch the same celebrities gain it back, then come back on TV and tell us about ANOTHER weight loss plan.   

Out of all of them I'd give WW a shot since you don't have to buy their own line of food like NS or JC. 

Thumbs up for the goofy songs of Roger Miller.  A friend's dad looks so much like him we call him Roger Miller.

I know this has been around for some time now, but I seem to be seeing it a lot lately -- the Eggo commercial where the whole family argues over whose Eggo it is by declaring their intentions to post a picture of their Eggo on social media.  First of all, whoever put the damn thing in the toaster can lay claim to the Eggo, so why are they arguing over whose it is in the first place.  Second, every one of these people has nothing better to do than take and post a photo of their breakfast?  Who gives a shit what you're eating, period, but especially when you're eating a frozen waffle in your own kitchen?

I was watching an 8 yr old the other day when that commercial came on. The 8 yr old said....  "that's stupid. "whoever put it in the toaster, it's theirs, they get to eat it"

• Love 4

There's a business idea for someone - a weight maintenance program.  Although I guess WW is sort of that.  But, that's not how they position themselves.

• Love 1

To be fair, WW isn't going to get people in the door with "We'll help you maintain your weight!". But they do have good incentives when you do get to your goal weight and maintain it for six weeks - lifetime membership. No cost for meetings or eTools as long as you weigh in once every calendar month. It's a nice perk.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 5

THAT'S IT!  My parents were huge Roger Miller fans! 

As a side note, here in Washington State there was a famous debate where our beloved Patty Murray was running against Rod Chandler for Senator and in the middle of a debate he quoted the entire first part of that song.  My husband and I looked at each other and said OMG, we just saw a politician commit career suicide on live T.V.!

• Love 2

To be fair, WW isn't going to get people in the door with "We'll help you maintain your weight!". But they do have good incentives when you do get to your goal weight and maintain it for six weeks - lifetime membership. No cost for meetings or eTools as long as you weigh in once every calendar month. It's a nice perk.

Wow that's pretty cool.

• Love 1