Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 5/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, Blergh said:

The Denny's ad in which a large  extended family goes there for lunch in their finest Sunday clothes- and the narrator says she has to 'reach' for her Uncle Charlie's fries with her hand looking like a cheep Plastic Man effect. UGH!

I don't know what's more bogus- that Plastic Man hand re-e-e-aching over several places of the dinner table. ..or anyone who's ever eaten any other food in their lives believing that a meal at Denny's  would be something to look forward to instead of beging off/dreading! 

And just order fries if you know you are going to want some!

• Love 5

With this phone, more groceries, with this phone less groceries, OMG, cannot mute the TV fast enough.

The other horrible commercial campaign are the odd Planet Fitness spots, I think I saw Lindsay Lohan in one of them, she glowed like she was radio active.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:32 PM, Blergh said:

The Denny's ad in which a large  extended family goes there for lunch in their finest Sunday clothes- and the narrator says she has to 'reach' for her Uncle Charlie's fries with her hand looking like a cheep Plastic Man effect. UGH!

I don't know what's more bogus- that Plastic Man hand re-e-e-aching over several places of the dinner table. ..or anyone who's ever eaten any other food in their lives believing that a meal at Denny's  would be something to look forward to instead of beging off/dreading! 

It's a good late night/early morning drunk eating place, just point to a picture on the menu and the waitperson does their job.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

This commercial for Select Quote

Obviously by the wife's question it seemed apparent that the husband took care of the bills, finance management, etc.  But when she asked, "But WE have life insurance?"  only for him to cluelessly shrug as if he wasn't sure made me think otherwise. 

It's difficult to convey this without sounding judgmental, but how can two, grown, obviously married for a while adults not have a clue as to whether or not they have life insurance? and the older you get, the pricier it is depending upon whether it's term or whole life.  

• Love 9
(edited)
5 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

the odd Planet Fitness spots, I think I saw Lindsay Lohan in one of them

She's one of several celebrities - including William Shatner, Dennis Rodman, and Jane Krakowski - appearing in their commercials.  I only like the first one, which premiered during the Super Bowl:

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

She - and several other celebrities, including William Shatner, Dennis Rodman, and Jane Krakowski - are in a few of their commercials.  I only like the first one, which premiered during the Super Bowl:

That was great! My favorite part was Dennis Rodmen ticked she beat him to his own question.

• LOL 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

It's a good late night/early morning drunk eating place, just point to a picture on the menu and the waitperson does their job.

That seems closer to my  impression of Denny's- NOT a place that an extended family would eagerly congregate after church to have their fave, affordable comfort food! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

The other horrible commercial campaign are the odd Planet Fitness spots, I think I saw Lindsay Lohan in one of them, she glowed like she was radio active.

Maybe it's just the residual sort from her career for the last 15 years.

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

That seems closer to my  impression of Denny's- NOT a place that an extended family would eagerly congregate after church to have their fave, affordable comfort food! 

Well, they either go to Denny's or to Golden Corral.

• Love 3

Just saw a commercial for a cell phone (google I think) that goes on about POC not being visible in pictures. It's not because of other phones being useless or their colour it's because the person taking the picture is a fucking idiot and has no idea what they're doing. It's a cell phone not a box brownie just take another picture numbnuts. Yes I get that it may have been an issue years ago with actual cameras but talk about trying too hard to be politically correct.

• Love 5

The commercial with Shaq walking a mile in someone else's shoes -- in this case a petite woman with small feet. She is wearing his shoes too. "I can't! Mah toes!" he complains.

I just can't with this commercial.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Blergh said:

Around here it IS somewhere extended family would go after church and somewhere drunk people would go late at night.  And pretty much everything in between for those looking for affordable comfort food.  I like Denny's well enough for what it is.

I don't know who that young woman is in the most recent Verizon commercials, but she annoys the crap out of me.

4 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Just saw a commercial for a cell phone (google I think) that goes on about POC not being visible in pictures. It's not because of other phones being useless or their colour it's because the person taking the picture is a fucking idiot and has no idea what they're doing. It's a cell phone not a box brownie just take another picture numbnuts. Yes I get that it may have been an issue years ago with actual cameras but talk about trying too hard to be politically correct.

Apparently it is a thing regarding photo technology and not just from years ago.  And the commercial doesn't specifically say that the bad photos were all taken on cell phones.  One person references yearbook photos.  Samsung is just highlighting that their phones have better skin-tone balancing technology.  Good for them.

• Love 15

I recall from Photo Lab in college that you always want to use color film to take pictures of people with dark skin, even if you're going to be making B&W prints. The 4-color film captures a wider range of skin tones than B&W film does.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Around here it IS somewhere extended family would go after church and somewhere drunk people would go late at night.  And pretty much everything in between for those looking for affordable comfort food.  I like Denny's well enough for what it is.

I'd have to REALLY hate a relative  or acquaintance to consider taking them to Denny's- as in that I'd be hoping for the resulting . .  ..consumption would spur them spur them to never want to try to visit or contact me again for any reason! 

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, mmecorday said:

The commercial with Shaq walking a mile in someone else's shoes -- in this case a petite woman with small feet. She is wearing his shoes too. "I can't! Mah toes!" he complains.

I just can't with this commercial.

Does anyone know who that woman is? She looks familiar but I can't place her.

• Love 2
On 5/9/2022 at 12:17 PM, ctlady said:

This commercial for Select Quote

Obviously by the wife's question it seemed apparent that the husband took care of the bills, finance management, etc.  But when she asked, "But WE have life insurance?"  only for him to cluelessly shrug as if he wasn't sure made me think otherwise. 

It's difficult to convey this without sounding judgmental, but how can two, grown, obviously married for a while adults not have a clue as to whether or not they have life insurance? and the older you get, the pricier it is depending upon whether it's term or whole life.  

Points you towards the Progressive commercial about becoming your parents. You know, becoming responsible that apparently Progressive disapproves of. 

Be judgmental, because you should be thinking about it as in your twenties.

• Love 2
(edited)

The McDonald’s commercial with the presumably hungover girl ordering a bunch of “Egg McMuffin sandwich things?” is annoying. The girl* is not convincing me that she’s having trouble remembering the product’s name! 

*is she someone I should know?

Unrelated: I think some advertisers don’t know when to use the term “plant-based”; if, for instance, the product is canned peas, there is no need to add that! (I haven’t actually seen one for peas that does this, but I can’t remember the ones I have seen.)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

The McDonald’s commercial with the presumably hungover girl ordering a bunch of “Egg McMuffin sandwich things?” is annoying. The girl* is not convincing me that she’s having trouble remembering the product’s name! 

That ad (which I’ve seen on streaming shows lately) appears to be a couple of scenes clipped from a longer ad, where it shows the same girl/woman interacting with McDonald’s over the course of her life - as a kid, teenager, young adult, mother… The original full ad I thought was kind of cute, but that seemed like maybe not the best choice of scenes to show out of context. 

• Love 8

Ugh. Mark Jacobs perfume ad with a bunch of young women who gambol about only to show us what you must look like to be considered beautiful and then chant “daisy daisy daisy” as if they are trying to summon a demon.  Pluto seems to have it on repeat.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

So, they're using snippets of Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion for an Appleby's ad. Play the whole song, cowards, I dare you.

Maybe it's copyright stuff that the band only agreed to snippets?

So, they're using snippets of Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion for an Appleby's ad. Play the whole song, cowards, I dare you.

I'm just glad Applebee's has 86ed that stupid country song about a little bit of chicken fried, cold beer on a Friday night, pair of jeans that fit just right and the radio up.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:
18 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Maybe it's copyright stuff that the band only agreed to snippets?

Maybe but if you know the words to that song it's a hilarious choice.

Okay - I know the words (even saw Aerosmith in concert twice in the70s) and my fogged brain isn't making the connection

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ctlady said:

Okay - I know the words (even saw Aerosmith in concert twice in the70s) and my fogged brain isn't making the connection

Sweet emotion
Sweet emotion

You talk about things that nobody cares
Wearing out things that nobody wears
You're calling my name but I gotta make clear
I can't say, baby, where I'll be in a year

Some sweat hog mama with a face like a gent
Said my get up and go, must've got up and went
Well I got good news, she's a real good liar
'Cause the backstage boogie sets your pants on fire

Sweet emotion
Sweet emotion

I pulled into town in a police car
Your daddy said I took it just a little too far
You're telling her things but your girlfriend lied
You can't catch me 'cause the rabbit done died
Yes it did

Stand in the front just a shakin' your ass
I'll take you backstage, you can drink from my glass
I'll talk about something you can sure understand
'Cause a month on the road and I'll be eating from your hand

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 4

Okay, so this is a commercial I actually like, but it has something annoying in it:

The NJM commercial where the guy bought Alpaco Insurance because his kids like the mascot, which is now grazing in his yard.  As opposed to the last company's mascot, a cheetah (or maybe a leopard) which tore up his living room and looked like it was about to attack him.  As I said, kind of a cute idea.  My problem, however, is that the animal in his yard is a llama.  Close, but no freaking cigar.  Do a little googling for a picture of an alpaca, advertising agency people!

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ctlady said:

Nope, @peacheslatour  I still don't see the connection to Appleby's.  I feel like a dolt!  It's probably staring me straight in the face.

I don't see it either. That's what I'm (poorly apparently) trying to say. It's a raunchy song and it has nothing whatsoever to do with mediocre chain restaurants. It's nonsensical like so much popular music used in tv commercials. 

• Love 11

that the one from last summer (or before) that had serious Midsommar vibes?

It’s a bunch of young women dancing around in a meadow wearing white dresses and flowers.  I didn’t see it last year and I’ve never seen Midsommar, so I don’t know.  I just know it’s annoying.

(edited)
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Okay, so this is a commercial I actually like, but it has something annoying in it:

The NJM commercial where the guy bought Alpaco Insurance because his kids like the mascot, which is now grazing in his yard.  As opposed to the last company's mascot, a cheetah (or maybe a leopard) which tore up his living room and looked like it was about to attack him.  As I said, kind of a cute idea.  My problem, however, is that the animal in his yard is a llama.  Close, but no freaking cigar.  Do a little googling for a picture of an alpaca, advertising agency people!

But alpacas are so much cuter than llamas. It couldn't be that hard to get an alpaca for their commercial.

image.thumb.png.84dd279a3b12fd593e3ab0f56398fa95.png

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

The song was also used in a car commercial a while back, can't remember what car/pick-up truck/SUV it was though.  It's probably been used in more than one car commercial, and also in ads for other things.

Yeah, for sure, if they knew what the actual lyrics were or what it's about, it might give them pause, but no, they're gonna rip off some song's snippets because they read the title.

Thanks for posting the lyrics for the uninitiated!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yeah, for sure, if they knew what the actual lyrics were or what it's about, it might give them pause, but no, they're gonna rip off some song's snippets because they read the title

My all time favorite commercial for a completely tone deaf use of a song was Iggy Pop's Lust for Life that was used in a Royal Caribbean commercial

• Love 10
(edited)

Grand Funk Railroad's "I Just Want to Celebrate" wasn't necessarily the most inappropriate song for a soup commerical, but juxtaposed with the visuals and the scene that had aired the moment before, this use must have dropped jaws all across the country:

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Mind Blown 1
On 5/16/2022 at 2:13 PM, proserpina65 said:

Maybe they were hoping to sell it to  the drama llama demographic! 

• LOL 5
7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Grand Funk Railroad's "I Just Want to Celebrate" wasn't necessarily the most inappropriate song for a soup commerical, but juxtaposed with the visuals and the scene that had aired the moment before, this use must have dropped jaws all across the country:

Uhhhhhhhh....wow. That was....something. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Yeah,  that's uh...interesting???

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 5/17/2022 at 11:11 AM, Bruinsfan said:

If only she had had some premium plus crackers, she would still be with us.  RIP Battlestar Galactica person.  May heaven be filled with bowls of soup and all the crackers you desire. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I can't decide which commercial I dislike more - The US Money Reserve or the Car Shield commercial with the buxom woman I'm supposed to know (but don't) who's calling me darling. One or both run every commercial break on getTV. Oh, what I sit through to see James Garner.

• LOL 4

I am so sick of the Melissa McCarthy commercial where she's at the Flipper Twins or whatever the hell they're called and she's breaking all the things. I have a very low tolerance for MM on her best days (liked her well enough on Mike and Molly, hated her on Gilmore Girls). If I were them I would have thrown her out on her ass. And then they go in for a group hug!?! KMN.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

the Car Shield commercial with the buxom woman I'm supposed to know (but don't) who's calling me darling.

That's Vivica A. Fox.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Yeah, they have her name on a chyron. I even googled her and still don't know who she is and don't care

I think of her as Jasmine from Independence Day.  Despite her long list of credits, I've only seen her in one or two other things in all those years, but I watch scenes from that movie every single time I come across it on TV, so she takes up space in my brain.

• Love 3