Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

On 7/23/2018 at 2:29 PM, millennium said:

Each and every commercial that uses the song "A Little Less Conversation."   I never want to hear that song again.

I like the one with the older couple prepping for their long climb to their upper level seats at a baseball game.  The rest, especially the Wayfair one, no.  

• Love 10

So annoyed with the Liberty Mutual ad where the smartass guy says he picked the wrong company. Even with Liberty Mutual, you would still have to choose the Accident Forgiveness plan. So annoying.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, txaquarius said:

So annoyed with the Liberty Mutual ad where the smartass guy says he picked the wrong company. Even with Liberty Mutual, you would still have to choose the Accident Forgiveness plan. So annoying.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure lots of other insurance companies offer an accident forgiveness plan (and a whole-car replacement plan, too).

• Love 8

I CANNOT stand any Little Caesars commercials! They are so offensive and otherwise just stupid. The one where the guy forgot his wallet and is just shaking the kid by his feet for the money and the cashier just stands there smiling like an idiot...that's child abuse! And then how they are always shocked beyond belief that it's only $5 when everyone in the free world knows they're only five dollars now!

Another irritating string of commercials is the good to go insurance. The one with the guy who can't afford a haircut after paying for insurance so he's shaving his head with a lady Bic? Come on now! Either let it grow until you can afford a haircut or cut it yourself...don't have to shave it shiny bald dude! And everyone in the world has a friend or family member who either knows how to cut hair or is learning to.

And I loathe the Liberty Mutual insurance commercials. I have to mute it any time I catch it cuz I'm so sick and tired of having liberty liberty liberty... liberty! Stuck in my head!

On a side note I have been looking for a place like this to vent about these commercials so I'm so glad I found you guys! ?

• Love 17
16 hours ago, Mommieoftwo66711 said:

Another irritating string of commercials is the good to go insurance. The one with the guy who can't afford a haircut after paying for insurance so he's shaving his head with a lady Bic?

So, why doesn't he just buy less insurance from the company he already has? Or go on a payment plan? There's nothing unique about either. It's like the Wayfair ads that try to brag about how you can click something on their web site and have stuff show up at your door.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

So, why doesn't he just buy less insurance from the company he already has? Or go on a payment plan? 

Probably has tons of tickets and or a fancy sports car. Both can put your insurance through the roof. 

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:55 PM, TeapotDiva said:

If I were Sophie, I would tell my parents, "I don't want to go to the Elliotts' house anymore, because Mr. Elliott is very creepy!"
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/dYwO/xfinity-xfi-daditude

I hate that ad, partially b/c the father is a tool and partially b/c he reminds me of Dennis Reynolds. Don't get me wrong; I love watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, but not people like that in "real life".

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 1:00 PM, bad things are bad said:

True autonomous driving is a long way off.  Problem now is that people hear "Autopilot" (Tesla) or see the Mercedes and Cadillac ads, and think it's all a done deal. It ain't.

Although if they can have it ready in about 20 years, when my driving skills might be less than sharp, I would be OK with it

I heard totally automatic driving will be common around 2020 and people who drive manually will be looked at strangely b/c they're not as good as the autodrive cars.

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:12 PM, TattleTeeny said:

That screaming thing still makes me laugh! I mean, really, SCREAMING?!

And claiming they were doing that while yelling out the time it was taking for the bags under his eyes to vanish!

"Five minutes thirty five seconds! Five minutes fourty one seconds!"

Oh, puhlease!

Did you know Joanne Gaines quit her show on HGTV to sell that eyecream? LOL

11 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Probably has tons of tickets and or a fancy sports car. Both can put your insurance through the roof. 

But, the ad isn't saying they're going to go easy on drivers like that. They're just highlighting a couple of ways of dealing with the problem that you can do elsewhere too. In fairness, not every company is happy with getting only $20 to take on a brand new customer, but haircut guy already has coverage, so he could call his current company and say "I want to drop my collision coverage and sign up for monthly payments".

• Love 1

The haircut guy makes me laugh. There's another commercial for the same company and in we see a mom walking or public transporting her sick kid to the doctor. She too says that she has a car but can't afford to insure it.. Meanwhile, that guy...

shaves his head to save money.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

If you can't afford the cost of a hair cut at a cheap place like Hair Cuttery, how can you afford a car? Do you own a junk heap, or are you making payments?

Well, to be fair, those aren't the only two ways to obtain a car, haha! He could have bought something outright for cheap (I had a "need a car quickly" moment years ago and bought a $1,000 Jetta that lasted me for years!) or even finished payments on something previously. I just wonder exactly how much he was paying for haircuts before that it makes a difference to insurance payments--and if he thinks his hardship is equivalent to the sick-kid lady's because, I swear, he seems sadder than she does!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Well, to be fair, those aren't the only two ways to obtain a car, haha! He could have bought something outright for cheap (I had a "need a car quickly" moment years ago and bought a $1,000 Jetta that lasted me for years!) or even finished payments on something previously. I just wonder exactly how much he was paying for haircuts before that it makes a difference to insurance payments--and if he thinks his hardship is equivalent to the sick-kid lady's because, I swear, he seems sadder than she does!

And a lot of families hand down cars when they get new ones.

• Love 2
(edited)

I still believe those people would drive without insurance.

But why? Having a low income or high debt doesn't mean someone would consciously break the law. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:26 PM, Maverick said:

There's a commercial for Rapid Advance, a company that makes loans to small business.  Apparently is like payday advance but for businesses.  It's stage like a scene from an Off (Off-Off-Off) Broadway musical (we're talking Lucy Ricardo's Tuesday Afternoon Fine Arts League-level Off Broadway here).   Which isn't as bad as it sounds.  It's almost so good it's bad in a cheesetastic way.   What get me is that the business owners are stylists, bar owners, etc.  You know, professions that it's conceivable could have a rocky start up or hit a rough patch that could jeopardize a small business.   Then a woman in a lab coat is up.  She's a "doctor in private practice".  Um, if you're a doctor in this country and can't get an SBA or legitimate bank loan and have to use the business equivalent of the Kwiky Kash that sits between the Kwiky Mart and Kwiky Liquors...what's up with that?

That ad is annoying, but not only b/c it looks off-off-off Broadway. I noticed they sing that one of the qualifications is to have been open for at least a year; isn't that too late for a failing startup business, or at least the time they no longer should need a loan?

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:47 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

Why does he have a bowl and full-size cereal box, rather than one of those single-serving boxes that doubles as a bowl when you open it the right way? 

Do they even make those little cardboard boxes any more?

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:59 PM, TattleTeeny said:

I just started thinking about the opposite in terms of Uber safety. Like, the drivers can be background checked (or at least Uber can claim they have been) but the unvetted passenger could be a crazy maniac! 

My workday has been really slow.

That reminds me of a PSA making the rounds again that annoys me which features who I think is Pamela Anderson Lee Anderson stepping outside for a ride and seeing #MeToo headlines and such, then gets into a ride with a leering driver who locks the doors. After her voice over warning at the end, I noticed that it's sponsored by some kind of taxi driver association, meaning this is likely to be an attempt to sabotage their competition, which irks me.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Jamoche said:

I've finally seen that one, and seriously? I was expecting someone like the woman in the 23andme ad below - there's someone with a wide range of genetic influences. This chick? I live in Silicon Valley - I could find half a dozen of her just walking around a mall.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wvMS/23andme-getting-to-know-you

See? Here's a woman who needs to make a website b/c no one looks like her! I kinda feel bad for thinking how homely she looks with those nodules on her face.

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, bilgistic said:

There's currently a commercial running that shows a bunch of ways people use empty Duke's mayonnaise jars. One use is as a flower vase for a table centerpiece at a rustic wedding reception. They didn't remove the label.

I hope one doesn't use it for extended road trips.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 9:28 AM, TattleTeeny said:

A-ha, I found it! You guys, look at this local commercial that we are forced to endure (and mock) here in RHoNJ territory! Haha, it's so not sexy, especially the pizza part six seconds in, soon followed by the image of some anemic mac & cheese bites on a stark-ass tray with nary even a garnish! 

Was this ad from the 1980's? Man, it looks so dated! I have to wonder, tho, if "the Sun always shines" is a vague attempt at ripping off "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia"...

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

Chevy Douche makes his triumphant return by unveiling... the Chevy cars and trucks the focus group guys and gals already own! I love the one guy who blurts out “Those are our cars!” as if Chevy Douche just pulled off the greatest magic trick of all time. 

I cannot WAIT for Mahk to mock this one! Speaking of which, there's a new Progressive ad that kinda mocks those Chevy focus group ads. Jamie's excitement over the reveal of "a really big room!" cracks me up.

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:36 PM, fairffaxx said:

So glad to see that there are a couple of others who can't bear the "Favorite Things" song (or at least that commercial's version of it).  I, too, hate the singer's voice & the arrangement

I hate that version of the song, partially b/c I think it was made for Fifty Shades of Gray, which, way to ruin an innocent song, Hollywood.

• Love 4
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:31 PM, peacheslatour said:

Here's a commercial I hate. It's some kind of Zip Loc ad and a bunch of kids are dumping confetti all over the ground outside. Yeah, way to to teach the kids to dump garbage all over the earth.

Because it's some kid's birthday, and they're showering her with "snow" so she can spin around and be Elsa in Frozen (and the confetti is in Frozen themed bags, natch).  I know that was a big thing for some time, but thought the Frozen Mania had died down.

ETA, if I had been invited to some kid's birthday party and been expected to shower her with confetti so she could pretend to be a character from a movie, I'd have noped right on out of it.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Imagine that! I only see individual servings of cereal sold in little plastic containers here.

The little boxes are on most complimentary breakfast bars at hotels/motels.

• Love 2

I was never able to make those work as "bowls" when I was a child. They just made a mess.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

I do wonder how the guy in the Chevy ad knows "those are our cars" instead of "that's my car."

Who says that was the first take? And just because he's not an actor doesn't mean he hasn't been told what to expect. For all we know, he's on the marketing team that came up with the ad.

1 minute ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Who says that was the first take? And just because he's not an actor doesn't mean he hasn't been told what to expect. For all we know, he's on the marketing team that came up with the ad.

They seriously need to bin this series of ads.  AND Mr Potsch, too.

• Love 5
31 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I was never able to make those work as "bowls" when I was a child. They just made a mess.

Oh, I missed the bowl part. Any hotel we stay at that has them provides bowls. My husband is a serious Honey Nut Cheerios lover, and I buy the individual containers that can be used as a bowl at the grocery store for when we spend the night on our boat.

I get plastic containers with a foil lid or a huge dispenser for which you have to turn a knob that spits out a teeny bit of cereal, so you're standing there, turning the knob, turning the knob...meanwhile, two people have made those icky Belgian waffles and you're still turning the knob...

• Love 1

I heard totally automatic driving will be common around 2020 and people who drive manually will be looked at strangely b/c they're not as good as the autodrive cars.

Nope. Features of AV will be around, in fact are around now. True autonomy is a LOONG way away. 

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, funky-rat said:

Yeah, that's Subaru.  And it's a stupid commercial.

The only Subaru commercial you cannot despise is the one with the dog who doesn't trust the new boyfriend until he sees the boyfriend wrap a jacket around the woman's shoulders at a campfire.

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, Ilovecomputers said:

The only Subaru commercial you cannot despise is the one with the dog who doesn't trust the new boyfriend until he sees the boyfriend wrap a jacket around the woman's shoulders at a campfire.

True.  I do like that one.

• Love 3

Dear Liberty Mutual lady with the pen. Shove it right up your smug ass. If it was your car, you'd probably want a whole new car, instead of just using your pen. Plus medical bills and money for pain and suffering. 

The Geico one with the harmonica player is hilarious. 

• Love 12
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:36 AM, Ubiquitous said:

... there's a new Progressive ad that kinda mocks those Chevy focus group ads. Jamie's excitement over the reveal of "a really big room!" cracks me up.

That commercial is very clever.  Especially considering how idiotic the Chevy commercials are -- where to begin making fun of something so stupid?  "Real actors, not people" strikes just the right note.

• Love 14

Now that Alex Trebek is retiring from "Jeopardy," can he just go away? His presence in the Colonial Penn Life Insurance ads really bugs, as do the so-called actors. "Alex, I'm 54 and I smoked and quit! What's my price?" These people aren't good enough to be in a dramatic recreation of events on your average Investigation Discovery show.

• Love 6

I'll just say this annoys rather than irritates me: I know that Smartphones were completely anachronistic. However; if they were going to use them in an ad highlighting how convenient the Louisiana Purchase would have been with their ap, why did Capitol One make it appear that it was depicting the Continental Congress in 1775 rather than U. S. Capital Building in 1803?

• Love 1
On ‎07‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 1:40 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Do they even make those little cardboard boxes any more?

Yes, at least as of Easter 2017, because my mother bought some for brunch.

21 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

I can despise that one, or at least I can despise the girlfriend who brought the dog who hates the boyfriend along on what clearly was meant to be a romantic trip.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, zillabreeze said:

Maybe it's the channels I watch, but the Corona Light spots that run every break.  "Don't you know that I love you, cha cha cha" .  I swear blood squirts out my ears every time!

That is one of my least favorites too. My latest abomination is the Mountain Dew ad.  "I'm all the way UP".  There is no warning that this 'music' is coming up, it is impossible to mute it.  Oh well, Mt Dew, you have succeeded at turning someone off your product forever.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

These people aren't good enough to be in a dramatic recreation of events on your average Investigation Discovery show.

ID had a contest once where you could win a role as a corpse or something in one of their grisly crime shows.  I wanted so much to win, but unfortunately I did not.  I tell you, it does require some skill to play a corpse because we watched a grisly crime show the other day and the "corpse" was breathing.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:45 PM, Jamoche said:

Because most adults have an "and then a car didn't stop" story, but it usually ends with "it was just a minor ding, and fortunately neither of us had Liberty Mutual, so we got it sorted".

That is one of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

• Love 4

Ray Liotta has done something frightful to his face. He's in those Chantix commercials and his face looks like it's filled with Botox then covered in wax, and he seems to be wearing eyeliner. It's very strange. He was on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitdt just a year ago and looked perfectly normal. Maybe he just got a really bad make-up artist for this particular job.

• Love 20
On 1/12/2018 at 7:00 PM, HipOldBat said:

Been seeing this one for Preservision that past couple of days.  I swear she is saying, in the beginning, "I'm a spider".  I guess it's "I'm a fighter" but I never hear it that way:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wWar/preservision-areds-2-why-eye-fight

I'm late to the party commenting on it but, yes! Every time I hear it I hear SPIDER. It gets my attention even when I am in another room and the TV is background noise. Maybe that's why they haven't fixed it :)

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Yep, why would she do that?

Because it's a camping trip, which is very much a dog-friendly outing?  If the guy is going to date her, he's doing to have to learn whether he can deal with the fact her life involves a dog.  And now that he and the dog have made peace, that shouldn't be an issue for however long the relationship lasts.  (Unless she brings the dog absolutely everywhere.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 19