Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I detest the Microsoft commercial that pretends to be a TED talk. It's just so annoying and pretentious.

And don't get me started on the self-serving Facebook commercial that claims Facebook was started to bring people together, not mine their personal data for advertising and revenue purposes. Interesting that Facebook disabled comments on YouTube.

• Love 11
On 5/12/2018 at 10:45 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I knew exactly what you were talking about without even clicking the link, and my question is, if all of the woman's friends know that she has eczema, why haven't one of them offered the solution the other lady does at the end of the ad? Like, 'I'm fine' is clearly code for "I'm miserable because I'm having an outbreak and can't go anywhere", so how come no one thought to give her this information?

And why do her friends who DON'T have eczema, know about the latest meds but the eczema woman is clueless?

• Love 9

That Facebook commercial is such bullshit.  It's like they're trying to sell some Disney fairy tale.  "We started out helping friends and family stay connected with the birds and the deer and rabbits frolicking in the forest.  But then the big bad internet monsters came and brought darkness and malware".   Uh no, Facebook.   This shit didn't just happen.  You knew what was going on and bibidibobidin't do shit about it until you got called out.   Of course Facebook been revealed to be shady on countless occasions for years and people still keep using it, so I don't know why they're even bothering to 'apologize'.  

• Love 21

Not to mention that Facebook has consistently made it very difficult to adjust one's privacy settings. Also, when they introduce (or slightly tweak) a new (or existing) privacy-robbing "feature", the default setting is always "on/allow" for "sure, steal/share all the things!".

Many, many times, I've had to refer to online guides to help me know what settings to adjust to protect my privacy, such as it is. Facebook pretending like they had any kind of transparency before the Cambridge Analytica "discovery" is laughable.

• Love 11

That's why I don't have any personal information except my town on FB. I don't even use my real name. Shhh...don't tell 'em. They'll get mad. They wanted me to verify Bosco's ID by uploading a govt issued photo ID - he's got a photo ID, but it was issued by his vet. I didn't think they'd like his rabies tag as an ID, so I deleted his account & tried to open one for Stella, giving her the last name of Katz. They wanted a photo ID. So I went to the library - different IP # - and successfully opened an account for Stella B. Katz. They don't ask for her ID, because it sounds like a person's name. Bosco AGoGo Schwartz didn't. (Schwartz = black; he's the blackest, shiniest cat I've ever seen.) I really don't like participating in FB, but, at the time, I was trying to sell cat toys and now it's become the only way my far-flung family keeps in touch.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Maverick said:

Uh no, Facebook.   This shit didn't just happen.  You knew what was going on and bibidibobidin't do shit about it until you got called out.

That's not true. They had protections in place against anyone harvesting information visible to the public. But, if you want to argue that it was as much to preserve their ability to sell data to interested parties, as respect user interests, I wouldn't disagree.

Kyleena commercial.  Can’t stand it!  Especially that girl at the end that’s meeting  up with the handsome guy!   Yeah, I’m sure?  Just look at the annoying glance he gives her when she makes that “duh face”!  Too funny!

• Love 5
On ‎05‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 12:52 PM, funky-rat said:

This is from one of my husband's favorite restaurants.  Look at what he does to his enemies! (ie: check his pitchfork).  He's King Hot Dog, and I always say "All Glory To King Hot Dog!  Kneel before him in his hot dog kingdom!  Quake in fear at the sight of his vanquished foes!".  

30713870_1925907230752628_4717238361599770624_n.jpg

Reminds me of the anthropomorphized pigs on the signs for barbecue joints in South Carolina - the more anthropomorphized the pig, the better the barbecue.

On ‎05‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, smittykins said:

Because Italian?

(Other than that, I got nothin'.)

They used to be much sexier looking.

• Love 3

There's a deodorant commercial talking about how using it leads to "millions of clothes saved" and maybe I'm a grammar purist, but it annoys the daylights out of me because "clothes" is not a countable noun.  You can have millions of garments, but you can only have a lot of clothes.

• Love 5
On 5/14/2018 at 6:14 PM, SmithW6079 said:

And don't get me started on the self-serving Facebook commercial that claims Facebook was started to bring people together, not mine their personal data for advertising and revenue purposes. Interesting that Facebook disabled comments on YouTube.

I find it fascinating that there is a new genre of ads where companies proclaim "We fucked up. We apologize. We won't do it again. We mean it this time."

Uber

And Wells Fargo

• Love 8
(edited)

This ad is weird and annoying, and I almost feel embarrassed for "Jamie" crying at the end - if I didn't want so badly to yell at him to cut it out.

Edited by HipOldBat
Found a better video
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, xaxat said:

I find it fascinating that there is a new genre of ads where companies proclaim "We fucked up. We apologize. We won't do it again. We mean it this time."

Uber

And Wells Fargo

These really chap my ass. Uber: "We're super sorry a bunch of our women customers were raped by our drivers. If it happens again, we'll be extra-super sorry!" Wells Fargo: "We're super sorry we cost our customers millions of dollars in falsified account charges even after we were bailed out. Give us another try so we can keep stealing your money!"

Individual people lose their jobs over far less than these crimes. A corporation should be dissolved when criminal activities are committed.

• Love 20
(edited)

There's an ad for Crystal Geyser water where a couple are sitting on the side of a mountain, looking out over a beautiful, serene lake, and screeching "Crystal!" "Geyser!" Stop it! STFU!  If I encountered them in the wild, I'd be tempted to push them off the mountain.

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 10

Stupid Chevy commercial: when obnoxious douche says to pick the 3 features you most want in your new car, I shout "cd player, air conditioning and a disintegration ray" at the tv.  Now, I'm not saying I'd use the disintegration ray on him, but I could.

• Love 13
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Stupid Chevy commercial: when obnoxious douche says to pick the 3 features you most want in your new car, I shout "cd player, air conditioning and a disintegration ray" at the tv.  Now, I'm not saying I'd use the disintegration ray on him, but I could.

LMAO!!!  Yes I WOULD use the disintegration ray on Chevy DoucheBoi.  He really should grow his hair a little longer and wear a man-bun.

• Love 6
On 5/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, bilgistic said:

Not to mention that Facebook has consistently made it very difficult to adjust one's privacy settings. Also, when they introduce (or slightly tweak) a new (or existing) privacy-robbing "feature", the default setting is always "on/allow" for "sure, steal/share all the things!".

Many, many times, I've had to refer to online guides to help me know what settings to adjust to protect my privacy, such as it is. Facebook pretending like they had any kind of transparency before the Cambridge Analytica "discovery" is laughable.

I f'n hate Facebook. I joined because a very dear friend "friend requested" me. I joined but gave little to no background info about me. So Facebook kept asking me (EVERY time) I logged on, where I went to college. I never responded. So eventually THEY listed suggestions/choices for me of several prestigious colleges so I chose Harvard Medical University. Facebook hasn't bothered me since. I've never even dropped someone off at Harvard let alone attended there.

• Love 6
(edited)
21 hours ago, xaxat said:

Uber

And Wells Fargo

The CEO of Uber claims "we've changed the way people get around". WTF?!  Umm...hey CEO Douchebag (whose name is too complicated to remember) of Uber....we're still getting to where we need to go via AUTOMOBILES. You're just providing a person to drive us to where we need to go because we maybe drank too much or our car is at the repair shop or we need a ride home from hospital outpatient surgery. The list goes on and on. YOU,  Mr. Uber CEO did nothing but update the taxi industry. But good to know you really care about your employees and customers (as you ride everywhere in a limo)

And fuck Wells Fargo too. Yes, I'm full of human kindness today! LOL!

Edited by chenoa333
Afterthought
  • Love 16
13 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

The CEO of Uber claims "we've changed the way people get around". WTF?!  Umm...hey CEO Douchebag (whose name is too complicated to remember) of Uber....we're still getting to where we need to go via AUTOMOBILES. You're just providing a person to drive us to where we need to go because we maybe drank too much or our car is at the repair shop or we need a ride home from hospital outpatient surgery. The list goes on and on. YOU,  Mr. Uber CEO did nothing but update the taxi industry. But good to know you really care about your employees and customers (as you ride everywhere in a limo)

And fuck Wells Fargo too. Yes, I'm full of human kindness today! LOL!

Let it out Chenoa333!!!  That is why we are here!!!

• Love 5

AT&T runs a PSA about texting while driving, and it features a guy I want to call "Caleb" who says "this is what I would look like if I hadn't died 8 years ago in a car crash caused by texting while driving." He describes what his hopes and dreams were at the time, etc.

Now, I whole heartedly approve the message and it's an interesting approach, but I'm a bit baffled by the concept. Did AT&T go to an alternate timeline where Caleb was still alive and bring him here? I don't get how he's 8 years older if he died 8 years ago. Did he continue to age after he died? Are they interviewing him in heaven? I know this is supposed to be a more or less straight-forward message ("what his life could have been if only . . .") but it's kind of wigging me out that, you know, dead Caleb is talking to us. Go toward the light, Caleb! 

• Love 10
26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

AT&T runs a PSA about texting while driving, and it features a guy I want to call "Caleb" who says "this is what I would look like if I hadn't died 8 years ago in a car crash caused by texting while driving." He describes what his hopes and dreams were at the time, etc.

We've seen a couple of those ads and they wig my husband out.  You are not alone, iMonrey.  At the very end, it says go to itcanwait.com to read "Caleb's" story.  I have to admit, I was interested in learning more about him, but when I went to the website, it wouldn't let me look anyone's story until I provided my name, address, phone number, the last time I had intercourse (well, maybe not that), email address and signed a pledge to not text and drive.  I did not give the requested information or sign the pledge, so I guess I'll never know his story...

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Now, I whole heartedly approve the message and it's an interesting approach, but I'm a bit baffled by the concept. Did AT&T go to an alternate timeline where Caleb was still alive and bring him here? I don't get how he's 8 years older if he died 8 years ago. Did he continue to age after he died? Are they interviewing him in heaven? I know this is supposed to be a more or less straight-forward message ("what his life could have been if only . . .") but it's kind of wigging me out that, you know, dead Caleb is talking to us. Go toward the light, Caleb! 

I have said this before to someone else on this forum but the fact that you thought about it this much makes me believe we would be friends.

• Love 6

I am so sick and tired of the My Pillow guy and his stupid commercials that I can't see straight.  And it seems like they're shown at every.single.commercial break during my local news.  Also, even if it is the Bestest!Pillow!In!The!World!, I can't support that idiot.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I am so sick and tired of the My Pillow guy and his stupid commercials that I can't see straight.  And it seems like they're shown at every.single.commercial break during my local news.  Also, even if it is the Bestest!Pillow!In!The!World!, I can't support that idiot.

He is based in MN so we get a lot more of those ads.  Lucky us.  He got into trouble a while back as he was claiming his pillows could cure things......

• Love 7

You must not have a primary election coming up soon. In Atlanta, the airwaves are full of campaign ads - there's no room for My Pillow. I have finally turned on the TV in Arkansas, where I'm on vacation. Their primary is next Tuesday, too. Haven't seen campaign ads yet, but there are signs all along ALL the roadways.

• Love 1

Nope, no primaries here, but there was one recently in neighboring West Virginia, and for reasons unknown to me, one of their more despicable candidates ran ads on the local stations here.  Which was only marginally worse than My Pillow.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I haven't seen that commercial yet. But I agree IMONREY, what dafuq? There is an endless list of shit people shouldn't be doing while driving. I guess texting is at the top of the list but I have to admit, I'm looking forward to seeing Caleb at various stages of his life AND afterlife! And why did they choose THAT name..."Caleb"? It's biblical I guess. DON'T TEXT WHILE BEING BIBLICAL!

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I also don't understand that commercial! I keep looking at the grown-up guy and trying to see if he looks like the kid in the pictures. (Like, I actually pause the TV and analyze the guy's facial structure.) Did they just find an actor that looks uncannily like the dead kid? Is he his brother? I need to know.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 1

Is this the same one that ran during the Super Bowl a couple of years ago? I remember one where you see a kid doing all these fun things and then you see him say something like "none of  that that happened because I died". I think it was either a no texting or drunk driving commercial.  The entire room full of people  I was watching the Super Bowl with just sat there in WTF stunned silence for several seconds before completely erupting. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

You must not have a primary election coming up soon. In Atlanta, the airwaves are full of campaign ads - there's no room for My Pillow. I have finally turned on the TV in Arkansas, where I'm on vacation. Their primary is next Tuesday, too. Haven't seen campaign ads yet, but there are signs all along ALL the roadways.

Our primary is in June, so I've just started to see commercials for a couple of the Democrats running for governor.  I'm sure I'll get heartily sick of them over the next month, but I'd still rather watch them than Mr. My Pillow.

5 hours ago, AuntieL said:

Is this the same one that ran during the Super Bowl a couple of years ago? I remember one where you see a kid doing all these fun things and then you see him say something like "none of  that that happened because I died". I think it was either a no texting or drunk driving commercial.  The entire room full of people  I was watching the Super Bowl with just sat there in WTF stunned silence for several seconds before completely erupting. 

I think that was an insurance company psa.

• Love 1
On 5/17/2018 at 4:05 PM, bilgistic said:

I also don't understand that commercial! I keep looking at the grown-up guy and trying to see if he looks like the kid in the pictures. (Like, I actually pause the TV and analyze the guy's facial structure.) Did they just find an actor that looks uncannily like the dead kid? Is he his brother? I need to know.

I'm assuming they used a combination of an actor who looks kinda similar and the Benjamin Button CGI technique.

(edited)

I know music is highly subjective but I just can't handle the Tiffany's commercial. I feel like my ears have been assaulted by the time it ends. It goes on forever and since I am totally unfamiliar with whatever song is being sung I can't even mentally sing along or anticipate the melody. A capella isn't really my deal to start with.

Again, highly subjective. Don't mean to diss anyone who is more musically knowledgeable. 

Hah! I guess I'm not the only one, this is a youtube comment:

WTF

Published on May 18, 2018

SUBSCRIBE 293

This painfully new ad from Tiffany has been airing the past two days. It goes on and on...this long 1 minute ad with an acoustic Alicia Keys. Ear piercingly bad - enough to scramble to hit MUTE on your remote

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

I know music is highly subjective but I just can't handle the Tiffany's commercial. I feel like my ears have been assaulted by the time it ends. It goes on forever and since I am totally unfamiliar with whatever song is being sung I can't even mentally sing along or anticipate the melody. A capella isn't really my deal to start with.

Again, highly subjective. Don't mean to diss anyone who is more musically knowledgeable. 

Hah! I guess I'm not the only one, this is a youtube comment:

WTF

Published on May 18, 2018

SUBSCRIBE 293

This painfully new ad from Tiffany has been airing the past two days. It goes on and on...this long 1 minute ad with an acoustic Alicia Keys. Ear piercingly bad - enough to scramble to hit MUTE on your remote

I can't stand Alicia Keys so I muted this ASAP.

• Love 6
On 5/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

A friend pointed out an Alfa Romeo when we were riding around the other day.  I don't get the price tag.  It looked like a Pontiac.

Why is her smile so different?  Did they swap out her teeth or pull her lip down or something else?  Yes, she is scary, but Joan Van Ark would give you nightmares.

Joan.PNG

I AM going to have nightmares.  This is worse than Meg Ryan, who was my previous winner of Worst Plastic Surgery Ever.  These people have more money than the rest of us can ever dream of; why o why can't they afford a better plastic surgeon?

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Joan van Ark should be able to afford a better haircut, too.  Not that it would help the nightmare her face has become, but I always thought she had crappy haircuts.

I'd want whoever did Raquel Welch.

• Love 7

There's a computer ad with some medical student who has decided that she will cure cancer because her grandfather died when she was 15. She says the hard part of science is convincing people it's a force for good. 

I teach med students. I would pay money for this smug little twit to rotate through my office just so I can vindictively fail her. 

• Love 23
On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:13 AM, bilgistic said:

These really chap my ass. Uber: "We're super sorry a bunch of our women customers were raped by our drivers. If it happens again, we'll be extra-super sorry!" Wells Fargo: "We're super sorry we cost our customers millions of dollars in falsified account charges even after we were bailed out. Give us another try so we can keep stealing your money!"

Individual people lose their jobs over far less than these crimes. A corporation should be dissolved when criminal activities are committed.

Locally we had the Pacific Gas & Electric Company add with the extra twee voice over sounding on the verge of tears as she explained the company "lost [their] way". You know how that goes, losing your way?  Like when you blow up a neighborhood and kill people.  Then people really high up in your organization try to, oh, let's say, adjust the judicial process to garner a more favorable ruling.  They too are really, really super sorry.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 4:21 AM, AuntieL said:

Super Bowl boy died in an unspecified childhood accident, thereby making parents and children terrified that anything could be deadly.  A friend's son auditioned for that commercial.  He's still mad he didn't get it.  I keep explaining it's better not to be the face of dead kids.

• Love 12
19 hours ago, docmatt said:

There's a computer ad with some medical student who has decided that she will cure cancer because her grandfather died when she was 15. She says the hard part of science is convincing people it's a force for good. 

I teach med students. I would pay money for this smug little twit to rotate through my office just so I can vindictively fail her. 

Given the attacks on science these days and the celebration of ignorance, I'm all for smug commercials reminding us of the importance of knowledge.

• Love 13
(edited)

This Land Rover ad stresses me out because the vehicle stops before all four wheels have cleared the stairs. The majority of the weight is probably sufficient to keep it up there but I look at the back tires and can't help but think of it slipping and horrifically plummeting backward and over a cliff! 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

This Land Rover ad stresses me out because the vehicle stops before all four wheels have cleared the stairs. The majority of the weight is probably sufficient to keep it up there but I look at the back tires and can't help but think of it slipping and horrifically plummeting backward and over a cliff! 

I'm sure the company would have preferred if the vehicle had made it to the top, but it couldn't get up the last step (something underneath is probably getting snagged) . They show the driver celebrating to distract you from the failure

• Love 1