Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, smittykins said:

Me three.  When you come down to it, it's still an exercise bike.  Who knew you had to take "spin classes "?

Spin classes are actually a thing. At least three health club type places here in Durham offer them, probably at varying prices. That said, I'm not sure why the woman in the ad is getting out of bed before dawn to take a virtual spin class.

• Love 2

Yeah, she'll get out of bed before sunrise to take a virtual spin class, but I bet for breakfast she throws some packets of Little Debbie mini muffins at her kids because she doesn't have time to cook something. Pffft.

• Love 21
6 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Is Charmin one of those brands that manages to put more air than paper in a roll, or does it not work very well?

Well, it's worse than average at shedding, so by the time they get through that sixteen-pack it'll look like a snowstorm hit.

• Love 9
On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 2:44 PM, Neurochick said:

That commercial confuses me because it looks like it's something just for women.  If it's not a product for women, why are all the "brain" voices female?

Because it only matters in this culture (and others) when women are fat?

Ancient history , but years ago I dated a man who had a gut. (Ok he was 12 years older than I was and had some wrinkles too. ) I never mentioned it because I'm normal and that'd be rude. Once he actually said to me, when he was buying me clothes for a gift, "So you've blown up to a size 8." I kid you not. I finally said, "look in the mirror. "  Yeah, I had been a size 6 or even  4. I'm 5' 6". I recall at that time at those sizes I barely ate, was always dizzy, headache-y, tired, and irritable and miserable. But dammit,I was thin! Yay? (nope)

Good to read it here about the other ingredient in that new weight loss drug. I recognized Wellbutrin. (Didn't that used to be an anti-smoking drug?) I did not know the other ingredient was narcan. Interesting.

I haven't seen any commercials lately for that one drug that caused fat not to be absorbed.  It started with the letter X - IIRC Xenical? It became famous with comedians for anal leakage. Yikes.  I think it even went for sale over thecounter there for awhile.  

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

Once he actually said to me, when he was buying me clothes for a gift, "So you've blown up to a size 8." I kid you not.

I can't think of any comment where how it's said is more crucial; it can be a complaint, a jestful observation, or intro into more shopping.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I can't think of any comment where how it's said is more crucial; it can be a complaint, a jestful observation, or intro into more shopping.

Yes,  I agree.

(In this case it was a complaint.)

I'm so sick of that one ad with the girl doing the  horrible rap about, "Education Connection." I can't get the remote to mute or change the channel fast enough. It makes me stabby.  

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, ramble said:

The Pepto-Bismal ad where they act out the "nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea" makes me crazy. The little turn to show their rear to indicate diarrhea? Arrgghh & yuck! 

You got the exact right moment on the video, too!  LOL!

Isn't there a way to quote someone WITHOUT quoting the video?

• Love 4

First of all, the Verizon (?) commercial where the guy goes through four or five microphones because he keeps dropping them is completely ridiculous.  No matter what reason he brought all those microphones, he's a buffoon, but also, why couldn't he just pick up the microphone he dropped (if he insists on dropping it in the first place)?

Secondly, there's a LifeLock commercial where this "dental monitor" tells this guy he's got the worst cavity he's ever seen, and the patient is like, "Okay, let's fix it," and the dentist's like, "Oh, no, I just diagnose these things, I don't fix them," and then the LifeLock people come on and say whatever it is they say in this series of commercials, that they don't just report the problem, that they fix it or whatever.  Anyway, what annoys me is that the patient has an unrealistic expectation if he thinks his dentist is going to fill his cavity right then and there.  If they find a cavity, they'll make an appointment to have it filled later.  Unless that guy wants the people who are already scheduled to have their checkups after him to have to wait or get their appointments cancelled.  So yeah, the point still stands, that this guy's a "dental monitor," not a dentist, and they do just abandon the guy with cotton still in his mouth, but it doesn't change the fact that the guy wouldn't realistically have the filling right there in the first place.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, janie jones said:

First of all, the Verizon (?) commercial where the guy goes through four or five microphones because he keeps dropping them is completely ridiculous.  No matter what reason he brought all those microphones, he's a buffoon, but also, why couldn't he just pick up the microphone he dropped (if he insists on dropping it in the first place)?

"Buffoon" made me laugh. Perfect! I hate this commercial so much. And because I'm me, I notice that there's a shot of the guy from the back of his head/shoulders from whence he pulls a microphone in the next shot. There's no bulge in his suit jacket in the previous shot. I'm irrationally bothered by that. It's just so stupid.

I hate the guy who's now at Sprint but used to be at Verizon. I hate the frenetic T-Mobile commercials that I guess you have to be young to understand. None of these commercials make me pick my cell phone carrier. In fact, they have the opposite effect. I have a small, third-party carrier that operates out of my home state, and it's contract-free and far cheaper than any of the big carriers, so there.

• Love 8
34 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

A dentist with a well-managed practice with no "down" time between patients.

That practice is only good for the Dentist, not the patient.  Patient has to get multiple appointments AND pay for them for the same cavity.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Brattinella said:

That practice is only good for the Dentist, not the patient.  Patient has to get multiple appointments AND pay for them for the same cavity.

Whether or not it's good for the patient, based on my own experience and what I've heard from others, it's the typical method.

• Love 4

Dentists tend not to charge an "office visit" fee. You'd pay the same for the cavity whether it's done now or next week. Suppose each "check up" was scheduled with enough time for repairing a cavity - and then nobody that day had any - the dentist would have a LOT of time to play computer solitaire between patients. That's not why they went to dental school. At the check up, they have time to assess the damage and schedule the appropriate amount of time next week to fix your mouth. Not all cavities take the same amount of time to treat. Not all crowns take the same amount of time to prep for.

• Love 4

Has anyone mentioned the Haribo Gummy Bears commercial with all the adults talking/acting like little children?  Ewww!

Yes but I thought it was kind of funny.

Oh Lord, I saw Morgan Fairchild in a commercial for mattresses and was horrified. It actually looks like someone wearing a Morgan Fairchild mask, her face is just that unnatural. See for yourself.

• Love 2
On 2/25/2017 at 9:33 AM, ari333 said:

Yes,  I agree.

(In this case it was a complaint.)

I'm so sick of that one ad with the girl doing the  horrible rap about, "Education Connection." I can't get the remote to mute or change the channel fast enough. It makes me stabby.  

Talk about stabby, how about that rappin' mama in the Ruby Tuesdays commercial?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

Ugh, that 'nt ad is just ridiculous.  The woman's co-workers are way too invested in what she's eating for lunch, and why are they shocked that she might possibly own a grill?

This is true, but I still laugh every time she says 'nt.

• Love 1
On 2/26/2017 at 0:27 AM, Brattinella said:

My dentist always filled my cavities when he found them.  What kind of shitty dentist makes an appointment to fill a cavity? (Unless of course, there are multiple cavities)

Mine. It's a pain, but if I'm just there for a cleaning then have to stay for a cavity (2 in the past 20 years - although 1 ended up with a root canal I'm still mad about) it would be even more annoying.

Also, after they say "if you've got a problem", I always answer "yo, I'll solve it". Yes, I'm old. 

And, Charmin, please no more bears! Give us a new Mr. Whipple, but please for the love of Og, no more bears!  

Just watching a Life Alert. The woman walks in the door and sees her mother/grandmother fallen on the floor and just stands there. Move it, lady, time is of the essence!

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Dentists tend not to charge an "office visit" fee. You'd pay the same for the cavity whether it's done now or next week. Suppose each "check up" was scheduled with enough time for repairing a cavity - and then nobody that day had any - the dentist would have a LOT of time to play computer solitaire between patients. That's not why they went to dental school. At the check up, they have time to assess the damage and schedule the appropriate amount of time next week to fix your mouth. Not all cavities take the same amount of time to treat. Not all crowns take the same amount of time to prep for.

Or as my husband put it, a dentist who has time to just do a filling right then and there probably doesn't have a practice that's doing very well.

• Love 4

Just watching a Life Alert. The woman walks in the door and sees her mother/grandmother fallen on the floor and just stands there. Move it, lady, time is of the essence!

Then there's the one where the lady "fell out of bed" and lay on the floor for TEN HOURS until her dorter found her!!  I'm kind of old & I still don't understand how you fall out of your own bed. Or why she has a dorter instead of a daughter.

• Love 3

I've managed to fall out of my own bed.(Mainly by rolling over and misjudging my position in said bed.)

The Life Alert ad that gets me the most is the young girl finding her grandmother on the floor.  I realize she's scared/in shock, but she certainly seems old enough to call 911.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have fallen out of bed reaching for a tv remote that had fallen off the bed. (Or had been knocked down by a cat.  The remote, I mean, not me.  They aren't strong enough to push me out of bed, thank heavens.)

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 6
On 2/22/2017 at 0:22 PM, mmecorday said:

Yeah, she'll get out of bed before sunrise to take a virtual spin class, but I bet for breakfast she throws some packets of Little Debbie mini muffins at her kids because she doesn't have time to cook something. Pffft.

I guess no one here works out?

• Love 3

I might be wrong, but I thought the brand had different types of paper and the labels were color coded, and the different colored bears corresponded to that. Sort of like how the peanut M&M is always yellow in M&M ads because the bags are yellow. Not a perfect analogy but I thought that was the gist of the different colored bears.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Not to get political or anything, but why are some of the butt-wipe bears blue and others red? And can you only tell lady bears from the dudes because of the jewelry or flowers on their heads?

Not to get political, but the commercials used to use the red bears for the "strong" Cottonelle and the blue bears for the "soft" version.  I never thought that was pure coincidence.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just saw the commercial with the bears on vacation--Mama Bear brought the truckload of TP so Papa Bear can get "clean" and wiggle his bear ass to show her on the beach. Good grief.

Papa Bear is wearing a Hawaiian shirt but no pants at the beginning of the commercial. No one else is wearing any clothes at all. I think Charmin's just fucking with us at this point.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 16
5 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I just saw the commercial with the bears on vacation--Mama Bear brought the truckload of TP so Papa Bear can get "clean" and wiggle his bear ass to show her on the beach. Good grief.

Papa Bear is wearing a Hawaiian shirt but no pants at the beginning of the commercial. No one else is wearing any clothes at all. I think Charmin's just fucking with us at this point.

I see what you did there, @bilgistic.

• Love 6
On ‎02‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, spaceytraci1208 said:

Taco Bell's commercials for their breakfast bug me because they are suspiciously reminiscent of the old Folger's "The best part of waking up.." commercials . 

I'm pretty sure that's deliberate.  An homage, one might say.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I don't remember which is which but one is advertised as strong and the other one is soft.

Red is Ultra Strong, Blue is Ultra Soft

12 hours ago, Aquarius said:

Not to get political, but the commercials used to use the red bears for the "strong" Cottonelle and the blue bears for the "soft" version.  I never thought that was pure coincidence.

Charmin

Cottonelle has the annoying British 'Bum' lady asking everyone to go commando.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Oh dear god, I hate that commando lady. Someone told me that her products can clog up the plumbing. IDK if that's true. Never tried the product.

No more so than other toilet paper products.  It's all in how much you use.

Does Amy Schumer shrieking at people really help Old Navy sell clothes?  'Cause I would run over my grandmother to get that mess off my tv.

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Charmin

Cottonelle has the annoying British 'Bum' lady asking everyone to go commando.

Yes, thanks for the correction.  As you can tell, neither the BareNStained Bears nor the British Bum Lady has created any brand recognition for me.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 9