Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

And wine is a fruit.  But the nurse teaching the nutrition class wouldn't let me count it as one of the 5 servings of fruits & vegetables recommended for a healthy daily diet.

• Love 9

So, peanut butter is a vegetable?

I seem to recall a president who declared ketchup is a vegetable, so I don't see why wine doesn't count. Five glasses and I'm covered.  

• Love 10

I just checked - a 1/2 cup serving of the original Bush's Baked Beans has 12 grams of sugar.  A Breyer's natural vanilla ice cream cup snack cup has 10 grams of sugar.

So...what I'm hearing is that ice cream is a vegetable.  

I suspected that this ground breaking information has been finally revealed by the heroic ice cream council.  The evil vegetable lobby has been conspiring against me for years!

So, peanut butter is a vegetable?

I seem to recall a president who declared ketchup is a vegetable, so I don't see why wine doesn't count. Five glasses and I'm covered.  

And lets not forget, gummy bears are fruit flavored so I'm pretty sure they are fruits too.  Welchs fruit snacks are also in the shape of fruit and are fruit flavored so I think they count for double fruits.

• Love 10

Thank you for articulating what bugs me the most about these ads. If the "tap" of the station wagon bumper is significant enough to involve your insurance company to pay for the damage, I question whether it truly was "just a tap."

I was a claims adjuster back in the day, and it never failed to amuse me how many of my insureds would complain that they had just given the other car "a love tap" and I would show up to a rear bumper with significant damage.  I always wondered how many of those same insureds would be as dismissive of a "love tap" to their own vehicle.

But to the other posters point, I drove an SUV for work, and as I was inching forward to make a right at a red light I had to apply the brakes and the vehicle behind me rear ended me.  Because she went under my rear bumper there was quite literally no damage to the work vehicle, but I still was obligated to report it.  Her hood was accordioned and there was some damage to her fenders so she definitely got the worst of it.  From the amount of damage to her car you would have assumed that there was significant damage to the other vehicle, but our SUV was absolutely fine.

I just always got annoyed at people who caused an accident and started to complain about how the other driver shouldn't be paid anything because they "didn't have any damage to their car" or the damage wasn't significant enough so they shouldn't be compensated for the damage.  Because, you shouldn't be able to tell people what they should or should not be able to get compensated for, or what the requisite amount of damage is when you caused an accident.

• Love 3

The restaurant I went to yesterday had no available tables, so I sat in the bar. Of course, all the TVs were on, showing basketball games.  I couldn't hear anything, but, lo & behold, there was MAYHEM!  Looked like he was operating a backhoe in his yard.  I've missed Mayhem.

• Love 7

I know that they probably add quite a bit of sugar to beans but you do know that vegetables and fruit have quite a bit of sugar in them? A medium banana has 14 g of sugar in it. It's "natural" sugar but once it hits your digestive system/ blood your body can't tell the difference between natural and added.

• Love 1

I was a claims adjuster back in the day, and it never failed to amuse me how many of my insureds would complain that they had just given the other car "a love tap" and I would show up to a rear bumper with significant damage. I always wondered how many of those same insureds would be as dismissive of a "love tap" to their own vehicle.

But to the other posters point, I drove an SUV for work, and as I was inching forward to make a right at a red light I had to apply the brakes and the vehicle behind me rear ended me. Because she went under my rear bumper there was quite literally no damage to the work vehicle, but I still was obligated to report it. Her hood was accordioned and there was some damage to her fenders so she definitely got the worst of it. From the amount of damage to her car you would have assumed that there was significant damage to the other vehicle, but our SUV was absolutely fine.

I just always got annoyed at people who caused an accident and started to complain about how the other driver shouldn't be paid anything because they "didn't have any damage to their car" or the damage wasn't significant enough so they shouldn't be compensated for the damage. Because, you shouldn't be able to tell people what they should or should not be able to get compensated for, or what the requisite amount of damage is when you caused an accident.

Not to mention your innocent vehicle now has a CarFax blot. And just try to get diminishment of value. Good luck. Why yes, my parked vehicle was recently "tapped" (rammed).

And every time I hear the Allstate catchphrase I hear, That's Allstate, Stan. And I think of a friend.

et change Carmax to CarFax

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 3

And wine is a fruit.  But the nurse teaching the nutrition class wouldn't let me count it as one of the 5 servings of fruits & vegetables recommended for a healthy daily diet.

Back when I ate meat, I recall many a night that my friend and I bought "dinner" from the liquor store with a fancy deli section. We felt strongly that we had achieved our four food groups for the day with wine, crackers, cheese, and pepperoni slices.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10

The lyrics are essentially word salad. It doesn't make any sense at all:

So my kids don’t have to forage

Got two jobs to pay a mortgage

And I’ve also got a brain

Life’s short, talk is cheap

I’ll be working while you sleep

Still don’t think I’ve got a brain?

You can try I’ll do it faster

I was born a multi-tasker

I was raised against the grain

I took two bullets in the chest

Got three kids, I never rest

You think a resume’s enough

Who’ll step up with things get tough?

Don’t you want that kind of brain?

A degree is a degree

You’re going to want someone like me

But only if you have a brain

I came to this thread just to see if I was the only one who hates this commercial, I'm glad I'm not.  From a woman who is a two-time college graduate,  I find this commercial so offensive on so many levels.  First of all, a college degree, and it has to be the correct college degree, will only get your foot in the door to a job where you will live in a cubicle farm for the rest of your career.  And if a cubicle farm is your career path, then godspeed to you, I'm just sorry that you feel the need to spend thousands and thousands to get there.  Secondly, if your degree is in business administration or management (no offense to anyone who is doing well with those degrees), well I hope you like retail, because that's where you're headed.  Have fun with those student loans earning $15 an hour.  And I'm not even taking into consideration that this isn't even a real school!

But the part that irks me the most is that last line: "But only if you have a brain"  How condescending!  If I had a brain, I would toss out any resumes for people with a degree from UoP.  I'm more interested to meet the people who showed up in person for classes at a local university who also had kids and a full time job.  Any fool can play on the internet all night.

• Love 8

I wouldn't take a shower on a plane even if they had one.  I'd rather wait until I got to the hotel.

Sorry that I am replying to a comment that was a couple pages ago.  I could be covered in someone else's vomit and wouldn't want to take a shower on a plane.  Lets think of the dynamics here....you are the 13th person in line for the shower.  You are getting undressed and dressed again in a shower someone else has washed in.  YUCK.  I won't even use the bathroom in a plane unless is a dire emergency, even if its on a 16 hour international flight.  You should see how I never go to the bathroom on weekend camping trips, I can hold it like a champ! LOL

• Love 3

Plus, as much money as Jennifer Aniston should have, there was no need at all for her to do that Emirates airline commercial.  Bar on a plane?  Yes.  Shower on a plane?  Blech.

• Love 4

Emirates employs shower attendants to make sure your shower spa is cleaned and restocked after every use.

(Not that I would know from experience. I just happened to see a video on a frequent flyer blog.)

• Love 1

I like taking a shower at Virgin's "Revivals Lounge" when I fly overnight into Heathrow, rather than waiting until I get to my hotel, but I can't really see myself showering in flight even if that was available -- I've had a major earthquake hit while I was in the shower, I don't need to follow that up with hitting a pocket of crazy turbulence while I'm in the middle of soaping up.

• Love 3

Emirates employs shower attendants to make sure your shower spa is cleaned and restocked after every use.

(Not that I would know from experience. I just happened to see a video on a frequent flyer blog.)

I don't care how often they clean and restock it, I ain't taking a shower on a plane. 

So this commercial has been on rotation in NY for quite awhile and it makes me so angry.  I can't believe the neighbors were so rude as to go sit in their house and use their wifi...one of them even was upstairs checking the wifi.  My only question?  How the hell did they get the password?  And there's no reason for them to be so excited I have Time Warner and the wifi sucks badly:

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 2

I'm a little freaked out by all the cow commercials. The yogurt guy/cow commercial, the lactose free pear-shaped (cows aren't built like that) talking cartoon cow, The cow giving the wedding toast. That one makes me really cranky.

I never noticed the pear-shaped cartoon cow until it became a big conversation point, because I have a huge crush on the woman that drinks the milk straight out of the dairy case:

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7Jao/lactaid-milk-dont-forget-the-milk

Combined with the Dairy Pure woman (http://www.ispot.tv/ad/7hyn/dairypure-teacher) why are milk ads so nice and yogurt ads so creepy?

Edited by Joe Blow

Two different ads, both irritating -

First for AT&T. If you are going to go into the store, and then sit down like you need help, when Lily comes up to ask you what you need, don't be a douchecanoe and ask Siri what you could ask THE PERSON STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU WHO WORKS IN THE STORE YOU ARE SITTING IN. I don't care how hot you are. That's way rude.

Don't let anyone tell you differently, Lily. You ARE the AT&T Hostest With the Mostest.

Second is Subaru, where Subarus are just taking a beating with planes and arrows and dirty dogs and bicycles. The ad says that Subarus have the "highest resale value. Again." All that makes me think is if I'm buying a used Subaru, it's been manhandled.

• Love 9

The lyrics are essentially word salad. It doesn't make any sense at all:

So my kids don’t have to forage

Got two jobs to pay a mortgage

I was raised against the grain

A degree is a degree

The original song is annoying to begin with, and a lot of people are really against vocal fry and little girl voice, which this version has all over the place.  The lyrics make more sense when you watch the commercial, since they're showing specific people, but it's still stupid.  And I fully understand who this paid for degree mill is aiming at with this commercial, but some of the lines are kind insulting to a lot of other people:

1) No one ever said you didn't have a brain

2)  I'll now be working while *you* sleep, so what's the difference?

Doubt it.

Is hard to find.

The way they show it, you're supposed to think this is a reference to veterans.  University of Phoenix has had a lot of recent issues regarding violations about Veteran's programs.

Again, no one would say you didn't.

So, only people going to University of Phoenix will be able to step up?  Not those ones with pesky "resumes"?

A degree is a degree

No, it's not.

Debatable.

To the singer:  "Well, we have a couple of other candidates in the running as well, we will be doing call backs next week, so we will be in touch."

*After the person has left* "Seriously, University of Phoenix?  We will not be in touch."

Edited by Joe Blow
  • Love 9

Maybe her mother wrote in her baby book, "Today my sweet little girl had a massive, messy BM while biting her big toe. Oh, she's definitely University of Phoenix material."

• Love 6

I don't even need a picture like that.  Lily from the AT&T commercials would be a cutie no matter what she was doing, such as selling cell phones, eating in the cafeteria, selling cell phones.

Other things I'm sure as well.

Edited by Joe Blow
  • Love 1

I'm still bugged by the Olay Regenerist ads. I see and hear them ALL the time (especially during Pop's Bev Hills 90210 reruns... well played, ad buyer) and there's something about them that gets under my skin. They make me kind of nauseous -- it's something about the camera work, especially in the "your concert tee may date you..." version; I literally have to avert my eyes or I get seasick. (I wish I were kidding.) And hearing the "OhohEEEOHoh oh SHAKE IT!" every break gets a little wearisome.

This is the ONLY ad I react to this way. Sure, I get annoyed by others, but physically ill? Plus, that "concert tee" does NOT look 24 years old. First off, they didn't have shirts that size in the early 90's (at least that I can recall); and next, if it's really her Favorite Tee, it'd have tons of holes in it. And the cutesy faces the woman makes just irk me.

Ok rant over. LOL

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/Ad18/olay-regenerist-your-concert-tee-song-by-deluka

• Love 4

I won't use the bathroom on an airplane unless absolutely necessary because I have an irrational fear that the back of the plane is going to fall off and I'm going to go hurtling toward Earth while the rest of the plane and passengers go merrily on their way like nothing happened.  (I acknowledge it's irrational!)

This was the premise for a little documentary called "Soul Plane."  :)

I don't care how often they clean and restock it, I ain't taking a shower on a plane. 

People routinely have sex in airplane bathrooms, can you imagine how much residual sex fluid is hanging out in an airplane shower?  I would have to wear all the shower shoes.

• Love 3

I hate the Heidi Klum commercials for her undies.  They're stupid and ignorant.  And what's with the guy giving her a piece of bloody meat in a handkerchief?  That was just plain yucky.

I love bunnies and I'd love the Blue Bunny commercials even more if they hadn't dyed that poor bunny blue.  I know, I know, the dye isn't supposed to hurt the animal, but I just don't like the whole idea of putting a dye on any animal.  But overall, it's a cute commercial.  

• Love 2

I hate the Heidi Klum commercials for her undies.  They're stupid and ignorant.  And what's with the guy giving her a piece of bloody meat in a handkerchief?  That was just plain yucky.

I love bunnies and I'd love the Blue Bunny commercials even more if they hadn't dyed that poor bunny blue.  I know, I know, the dye isn't supposed to hurt the animal, but I just don't like the whole idea of putting a dye on any animal.  But overall, it's a cute commercial.  

I hate that Heidi Klum commercial too. I don't remember the bloody meat part though. Maybe there's more then one version of it?

The bunny Blu in the Blue Bunny commercials is computer generated so no real bunnies were harmed with dye to make that commercial. I was reading the comments on their FB page and gathered some info. Apparently this revamp of their brand includes new packaging that everyone hates (it really is ugly) and a reduction in size from 1.65L to 1.36L.

• Love 5

I hate that Heidi Klum commercial too. I don't remember the bloody meat part though. Maybe there's more then one version of it?

The bunny Blu in the Blue Bunny commercials is computer generated so no real bunnies were harmed with dye to make that commercial. I was reading the comments on their FB page and gathered some info. Apparently this revamp of their brand includes new packaging that everyone hates (it really is ugly) and a reduction in size from 1.65L to 1.36L.

Thanks for this info!  I was pretty sure the bunny was CG and not dyed; they would have a rebellion on their hands!

But the smaller packaging size?  That is some shady BS.  Blue Bell ice cream still says a half gallon is a half gallon.

• Love 1

I can't believe the neighbors were so rude as to go sit in their house and use their wifi...one of them even was upstairs checking the wifi.  My only question?  How the hell did they get the password?  And there's no reason for them to be so excited I have Time Warner and the wifi sucks badly:

A lot of people have their wifi system running without a password, not realizing how far away somebody else can connect. Unless, I guess, they have Time Warner, which must have sucky equipment if everyone has to crowd inside the house.

I was a claims adjuster back in the day, and it never failed to amuse me how many of my insureds would complain that they had just given the other car "a love tap" and I would show up to a rear bumper with significant damage.

The federal standard here in the US is only 2.5 MPH for straight-on impacts and 1.5 for corner hits,  with limited (not no) damage, so many of those drivers may have been truthful in calling what happened a "tap".

• Love 2

A lot of people have their wifi system running without a password, not realizing how far away somebody else can connect. Unless, I guess, they have Time Warner, which must have sucky equipment if everyone has to crowd inside the house.

The federal standard here in the US is only 2.5 MPH for straight-on impacts and 1.5 for corner hits,  with limited (not no) damage, so many of those drivers may have been truthful in calling what happened a "tap".

I'm not sure what you're referring to as a "federal standard"  A federal standard for what exactly?

My issue was more that when my insured caused the accident it was characterized as "a love tap," but if that same insured was not the at fault party in the accident, it was characterized as a huge accident.

• Love 2

Unless, I guess, they have Time Warner, which must have sucky equipment if everyone has to crowd inside the house.

Yes, they do.  When my brother & SIL moved from Richmond, VA to Charlotte, NC, the house they rented while waiting for theirs to be built had TWC.  *Very* sucky service.  Now, in the new house, they've (god help 'em) ATT U-verse.  Haven't had any complaints yet.  But the TWC - even had their phones through them - would drop calls (on an alleged landline) all the freakin' time.

• Love 2

Not to mention your innocent vehicle now has a Carmax blot. And just try to get diminishment of value. Good luck. Why yes, my parked vehicle was recently "tapped" (rammed).

And every time I hear the Allstate catchphrase I hear, That's Allstate, Stan. And I think of a friend.

I think you mean CarFax, but it’s an easy mistake. CarMax is a retailer of used cars, CarFax is the incident report.

I have been hit twice in parking lots. I wonder if those people know how expensive a dent can be and that’s why they take off like thieves.

I’ve been pondering the Subaru resale value thing. According to KBB, it’s because they are all-wheel drive vehicles. But I also think that maybe people don’t hang onto them very long, and so the used vehicles are still fairly new. It’s easy to sell a used car that’s only one year old.

We will all be facing a glut of used cars due to most people leasing vehicles they can’t afford to buy.

• Love 1

Not to mention your innocent vehicle now has a CarFax blot. And just try to get diminishment of value. Good luck. Why yes, my parked vehicle was recently "tapped" (rammed).

ET change Carmax to CarFax. Big difference!

(tx ennui)

• Love 1

I loathe the State Farm commercials because they keep playing the same ones for years and years and years. Like I found "Jake from State Farm" mildly - mildly - amusing at first but after about five years or so, it's just unacceptable to still be playing it. It also makes me question why they can't seem to make new commercials, like if they can't afford it or something, which only discourages me from ever using their product.

• Love 1

I'm not sure what you're referring to as a "federal standard"  A federal standard for what exactly?

Strength of a bumper as reflected by the speed at which it should hold up (more or less) in an accident. The initial rules were instituted in the 70's out of concern for the "tinfoil" some auto makers were using that was next to worthless in a crash.

• Love 2

I had no opinion on "The Settlers" ads run by whatever cable/dish service (you can tell how well they worked on me), but they seem to be getting creepier.

After seeing one where he obsessively talks about his wife's hair that is always under a bonnet and another where he talks about his kids getting to lick the "family lolly", I'm pretty sure he is a crackpot religious cult leader who probably abuses his wife and kids.

• Love 8

Maybe State Farm keeps their insurance rates lower by not spending tons on advertising? I'm just guessing. 

And from data that's only as of 2013. Though I have to say it's an improvement from last year when it was only as of 2010.

Strength of a bumper as reflected by the speed at which it should hold up (more or less) in an accident. The initial rules were instituted in the 70's out of concern for the "tinfoil" some auto makers were using that was next to worthless in a crash.

even if your bumper holds up structurally (in my mind that means it pops back out or isn't permanently pushed in) there is often damage underneath the actual bumper.  Many vehicles have foam under the bumper (meant to absorb the shock) and that is often an issue even in "love taps."  And even at 2.5 mph you're gonna likely going to damage the paint or scratch the bumper of the other vehicle.  The same sort of damage my insureds would howl over, but they would expect someone else to just suck up because it was "just a love tap."  The only time I ever saw something where I agreed with an insured that there was almost no damage was where my insured tapped a Mercedes and the only damage was a removable plastic molding that fell off, but of course that claimant was asking for like 10,000 for a bodily injury claim so that may have colored my view.

• Love 6

First for AT&T. If you are going to go into the store, and then sit down like you need help, when Lily comes up to ask you what you need, don't be a douchecanoe and ask Siri what you could ask THE PERSON STANDING IN FRONT OF YOU WHO WORKS IN THE STORE YOU ARE SITTING IN. I don't care how hot you are. That's way rude.

Is there any other reason to do that than thinking you can't trust Lily? Is that really something AT&T wants to be putting in an ad?

• Love 3

I think you mean CarFax, but it’s an easy mistake. CarMax is a retailer of used cars, CarFax is the incident report.

Not to be confused with Carfax, which (as I like to point out at every opportunity) is the house that Dracula bought.

• Love 5

Two different ads, both irritating -

Don't let anyone tell you differently, Lily. You ARE the AT&T Hostest With the Mostest.

Is there any other reason to do that than thinking you can't trust Lily? Is that really something AT&T wants to be putting in an ad?

The real scary thing about that commercial is. That someone else's Siri responded to Lily with knowledge, about her, that should have been private. So I guess I could ask my Siri personal questions about other Siri owners, and it would spill its guts like a regurgitating mothering penguin. No wonder the icloud was so easily hacked. Hey Siri has Jennifer Lawerence uploaded any pictures lately? Hey Siri!! What is Jennifer Lawrence new icloud password? Thanks Siri!! Your the best ever.   

Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 7

The real scary thing about that commercial is. That someone else's Siri responded to Lily with knowledge, about her, that should have been private. So I guess I could ask my Siri personal questions about other Siri owners, and it would spill its guts like a regurgitating mothering penguin. No wonder the icloud was so easily hacked. Hey Siri has Jennifer Lawerence uploaded any pictures lately? Hey Siri!! What is Jennifer Lawrence new icloud password? Thanks Siri!! Your the best ever.   

This is the first step in the robot takeover.....soon we shall all bow before our robotic overlords.  Skynet go!

• Love 5

I've come to feel the same way about the term "love tap" that I feel about "panties" and some people feel about "moist."

I'm with you. And now all these hated words are enshrined in a single sentence in my mind forever and ever.

Not to be confused with Carfax, which (as I like to point out at every opportunity) is the house that Dracula bought.

Or Carmex, which I think is a lip balm.

• Love 8

I've come to feel the same way about the term "love tap" that I feel about "panties" and some people feel about "moist."

And now my brain is being consumed by the "Glove Slap" version of Love Shack featured in the Simpsons episode where Homer keeps challenging people to duels.  Also known in Casa Proserpina as the Tomacco episode.

• Love 3