Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E06: AGT Auditions Week 6

• Start Topic

It seems that Heidi With the Magic Hand Binoculars is becoming the tough judge.  Not sure what to make of her maniacal laughing at Howie.  Let her be the assistant for that act next time instead of Howie.

• Love 1

Pretty much, one week of auditions too many (at minimum) every season with this show. And we still have a "best of" audition show tomorrow night. Yippee...

Thought the Rubix cube kid had a pretty slick act. Beyond that, as much as I wanted to hate them because of their names and pretentious get up...I will grudgingly admit that the Outlaws might be the most talented hip hop dance crew they've shown us so far. Sigh.

The computer animated dance act with the Russian name suffered from a lack of continuity between the dancers, and the world the design guy created.

Some of auditioners shown in the holding rooms, seemed so much more interesting to see than a few that we were forced to sit through....like the old showgirl lady regardless of Nick's pity golden buzzer that ended the show.

• Love 3

I loved there were so many quirky acts.  Rubik magic?  Fabulous.  Roller skaters?  Pretty good.

The highlight for me was weird frequencies actuary guy.  Only AGT brings this kind of stuff to us.  He won't win, but to answer that song, he should stay.  Glad he did. 

Maybe Buble dude is all that.  He wasn't tonight.  I'm betting he was a special invite who was greased to get the tongue bath from the jidges.  R L, with the Barry White intro and the Billy Paul song was my favorite singer.  I was hoping he was Nick's GB, but unfortunately, elderly chorus girl was.  Ugh.  Simon really chose that for the last audition and the GB?  Really?  Did you see how fast he stood with his arms exultantly in the air when Nick hit the GB? All set up.  Ridiculous.  Good on her for showing up.  My issue is with Simon, not her.

The Russian dance act was very good.  Again - only AGT can give this to us.  The juggler's patter was professional.  They are obviously not amateur.  Well done, nonetheless.

The only act I genuinely did not like.  At. All.  Was little rapper girl.

Well, I got the singing competition Simon promised us all.  Yet and still, these audition eps did have some fun stuff and were well worth my time and attention.   If nothing else, it was a pleasure to see top notch TV production techniques.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the montage of Heidi and Simon completely disagreeing about various dance groups. One thing I think has been missing so far this season is any kind of division between the judges. So far it seems like it's been mostly all four yesses, or the occasional three yesses and one on-the-fence-but-goes-no. I was waiting for there to be some serious disagreement where one or two are definite Nos and the other definite Yeses. And I appreciated it that it came during the dance groups too because whenever I very frequently watching this show will watch a dance group and think "meh, this is exactly what they always do" and then the judges go wild, so it was nice for once to see that mirrored onscreen. I also appreciated that it happened in both directions (ie on one Heidi hated it and Simon thought it was great, the next was vice versa).

• Love 1

Hubby looked up the jugglers - apparently they also competed in the 1st season of AGT and finished in the top 10.  Totally different judges and a long time ago, but curious that it wasn't mentioned.  Often shows like the "we're back to try again" angle.

• Love 2

I watched American idol was the beginning till the end.  This Simon is so opposite of what I am use to.   It's funny that he likes the quirky acts and sort of goes along with Howie jokes 

i watch this show with my parents who are in their 60's.    Every time a elderly person tries out it gives them joy.   The 90 year old lady did make us all laugh but I for one didn't expect her to make it past auditions.

Nick can do no wrong with me.  He really is good with all the contestants and keeps the show going at a nice pace. 

• Love 4

I thought the lady who sang "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" was fantastic.  One of the best singers I've heard on AGT.

The (vast majority of) old people acts make me uncomfortable and sad.  They just do.

• Love 2

I did not like the 90 year old woman doing a strip tease routine, especially with the tassles attached to her shirt.  It made me uncomfortable that she was being laughed at. Old people trying to be sexy, what a hoot ?  Just stop. If she had done anything else, sure, I applaud a person her age getting on stage. But not a strip tease act.

• Love 6

The 90 year old getting the buzzer was obviously a set up, but I don't care.  She won't make it any farther and she made me laugh.  Why not give the old gal some joy?  Loved her comment wondering if she would live long enough to make it to the live shows.

• Love 4
(edited)

I thought the woman who sang "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" was great!  She should get a recording contract, or go on Broadway with that voice.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I thought the woman who sang "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" was great!  She should get a recording contract, or go on Broadway with that voice.

Same here. SHE was definitely ine of the acts that should have gotten the golden buzzer in my opinion. ?

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, camom said:

The 90 year old getting the buzzer was obviously a set up, but I don't care.  She won't make it any farther and she made me laugh.  Why not give the old gal some joy?  Loved her comment wondering if she would live long enough to make it to the live shows.

In one sense I agree with you; it was a long overdue moment of joy for her. BUT she wasn't just moved on to the next round, she was given the golden buzzer - an automatic entry into the live rounds. Her automatic inclusion, as well as all the other golden buzzers, means that other, better acts will not be allowed a space. It is my opinion that the golden buzzer should NOT be used during the audition rounds, but in the next round. That way the judges will have seen all the selected acts and can determine which are the best/most deserving to automatically going forward without further auditioning. 

• Love 13

I loved the Rubik's Cube magic guy and the jugglers, but I'm glad auditions are over. This episode felt like they were running out of steam, and I enjoy the judge cut rounds a lot, for some reason. I think because they're finally forced to recognize the mediocre, one-trick-pony acts for what they are. Plus I'm ridiculously excited for Reba as a guest judge.

I'm pretty sure the instrument the actuary was playing was a theremin. The only other person I've seen play it is Kesha, and she's pretty good at it, I wish I could find a video. Years ago she played it on Conan.

• Love 3

This show is starting to run out of ideas. So many of their acts now are retreads. And it is way over produced. Maybe I watch too much tv. I've seen most everything and it annoys me when the judges say they've never seen anything like it before. I suppose it's their job to sell it.

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow, if we were all in a big room discussing yesterdays AGT acts, I think ya'll would throw shoes at me...lol! Because, there are some acts I just didn't like!

That lady who sang the Celine Dion song? I did not like her at all. Let me explain. That is a Celine Dion song and not just anyone sings her songs "their way" and gets away with it. The lady had a good voice but I've heard her r&b style before and her spin on this song just didn't do it for me. Not every song is meant to have an r&b, soul flavor spin on it, and   "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" is surely not one of them! Go easy on me with those shoes!!!  :D

My best act of the night was the Rubik's Cube magic act. Great act!!

The juggling act was entertaining as well.

The singing act who I liked was that muscle bound dude. He has a great voice and if he ever gets serious about this show he'll be around a long time. I thought it was corny when he took off his shirt. He doesn't need that!

Now, did the judges pass through the little girl rapper because they thought she was good or because she's a little girl who is rapping? Probably the latter which is wrong of the judges to do that.

I too get uncomfortable with elderly acts coming out there because they are there to be the laughing stock, which is wrong! That 90 yr old lady was there and put thru just for laughs. If they can't say "no" to the elderly and for that matter "kid acts"  then the show should have age limits.

I've had it up to here with Simon! I never thought I would say this but I hope he doesn't come back next season! He's been a disappointment and actually looks out of place and uncomfortable out there. He's not the American Idol Simon we were waiting for. He's the new Simon! He's a dad now and maybe has a different outlook on these shows. I want Pierce Morgan back!!!!

Until next time....

Edited by rr2911
mistake
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

I've had it up to here with Simon! I never thought I would say this but I hope he doesn't come back next season! He's been a disappointment and actually looks out of place and uncomfortable out there. He's not the American Idol Simon we were waiting for. He's the new Simon

Yes, I agree.   AND it seems like anyone who sings, Simon raves about.  The guy he compared to Buble?   On American Idol, SImon would have sent him home.

• Love 4

Because it can't be said enough, Rubik's Cube Guy was excellent.

I was also unexpectedly charmed by the young baton twirler. He was so enthusiastic and charismatic-- and skilled at what he did.

• Love 11

I don't mind singers being on the show because I'm seeing these acts with the $1 million question in mind and if I would pay money to see this act as a stand alone act. This goes with every act not just singers.

Singers, magicians and comedians will always have an edge on the other acts. They can expand their acts. While the baton twirler was very good I'm wondering what else can he do? I see him as a part of an act not a stand alone one.   

• Love 2
(edited)

Okay, two more acts to add to the few that I've enjoyed during this auditions phase:

Rubik's Cube magician, Steven Brundage.  I have no clue how he did it, but it does seem to be different than the Rubik's Cube solver, Flavion, that Simon put through on Britain's Got Talent a few months ago:

R.L. Bell, the bodybuilder/masseuse/soul singer. I actually loved his voice, and I was amused by the rest of his presentation. I hope he outlasts all the mediocre kiddie singers they put through.  I did read that R.L.Bell previously competed on  ABC’s “Karaoke Battle USA” in 2011.  I've never heard of that show, so don't know how far he got on it.

Everyone else kind of bored me tonight.  Oh, and the daredevil skating duo, I've seen them on another show too...but I can't remember what show, or when.

Edited by SnarkyTart
  • Love 1

The daredevil skating duo was a segment on "I Can Do That!" last year. On that show, "stars" had to learn a skill/sport from professionals and then compete in it the following week for audience votes. Nicole Scherzinger was one who performed the skating daredevil act. Since the show was on NBC, you'd think the judges MIGHT have heard of it? Although in keeping with the theme of AGT, EVERY act is New! Fresh! Never Seen Before!

• Love 1
17 hours ago, rr2911 said:

Wow, if we were all in a big room discussing yesterdays AGT acts, I think ya'll would throw shoes at me...lol! Because, there are some acts I just didn't like!

That lady who sang the Celine Dion song? I did not like her at all. Let me explain. That is a Celine Dion song and not just anyone sings her songs "their way" and gets away with it. The lady had a good voice but I've heard her r&b style before and her spin on this song just didn't do it for me. Not every song is meant to have an r&b, soul flavor spin on it, and   "It's All Coming Back to Me Now" is surely not one of them! Go easy on me with those shoes!!!  :D

No shoes from me!  I agree.  I thought she murdered that song. 

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:23 PM, camom said:

But she WILL make it, because she got the golden buzzer! 

Sometimes, the criteria is whether the act can be a stand-alone Vegas show.  That's why, I guess, they favor singing, dancing, magic acts.   Other times, the criteria is "are the judges amused?"  There's no way that 90 year old stripper routine is going to play in Vegas, but the judges ignore the fact that the "prize"  is a Vegas show. 

I'd like the show more if the judges told certain acts that they were entertaining and cute, but not right for the show.  The novelty acts that clearly are not going to win (especially the young kids and the adults over 80), got to perform on a national TV show.   THAT is the prize.  (I'm also referring to that weird lady who sang to Simon and put her cleavage in his face).   I don't think the judges have to be MEAN, just say, hey, you're charming and fun, thanks for being here, you're not right for a Vegas act. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I was also unexpectedly charmed by the young baton twirler. He was so enthusiastic and charismatic-- and skilled at what he did.

I really liked him too. He won't win, but he was excellent at what he did and seemed like a sweet kid. I hope he gets to twirl for Cirque some day.

• Love 7

I was watching the not-Russian dance duo, and think a lot of their act was them lying on the floor.  The judges were obviously looking "down" rather than up at a performing duo. So that may be part of their mystique. I would have been neat to see it from the audience point of view.  I like the technology that is being used - drones, lights, projection. At least there is a little ingenuity from singers and large dance troupes.

Very much agree about Rubik's cube magician - great act. 

I'm soooo tired of Howie saying the same crap every season. "This is the best season of talent ever! We've never seen anything like this! There will be more household names from this season than any other season!" SHUT UP.

The theremin guy was a hoot. I wish he was my dad. I also loved the jugglers and enjoyed the twirler, though I can't imagine him making it too far.

The golden buzzer - WTF? At least it wasn't a singer I guess? Definitely a waste of a spot in the live rounds!

• Love 3

And we are here, we are FINALLY here, many of us didn't think it would ever happen, but we have finally reached the final e...what?...Oh it's just the end of the auditions? There's still 2 more months of this? But....but...Oh fine, let's get on with it then.

Dorothy Williams - There's something to be said about an act that knows EXACTLY the right moment to stop. And thankfully she did, until Nick decided we all needed a sequel. It's a bit of a sham to end up with this as our final golden buzzer, considering EVERY OTHER act in the episode was much much more suitable, but I've long given up the hope that the golden buzzer would actually be used for anything meaningful, so it being used as a cute little skit to make a 90 year old woman happy? Sure why not...actually, I know MANY reasons why not, but HEY at least we are finally back in full form now, right? We made it through an ENTIRE season last year without a single joke act in the live shows, but now we are back to the good old days...the good...old...*sigh* let's just move on.

John Bernhardt - Trying to play an instrument that sounds like an alien being sucked through a black hole can't be all too easy and while this shouldn't make the lives, it was at least entertaining.

Outlawz - I don't think theres a single thing a dance crew could do at this point that would be genuinely surprising, at this point they've just become the cannon fodder for the show, something you put early on in your live shows to pass the time between more interesting acts, but these guys showed enough personality and style to be at least a bit interesting.

Cody the Twirler - I'm not sure there's much else for him to do, but those were some impressive moves and the Glenn Miller music actually made it even more fun, but apparently that's too "old fashioned" so onwards to Nicki Minaj it is next round.

Daniel Joyner - If you are a crooner or a soul singer, this looks like the season for you. While looking like the love child of John Belushi and Michael Buble certainly has its upsides, It's going to be hard for him to compete with Sal.

Ilan & Josh - They should follow tape face's advice when it comes to singing, but the beatboxing was good and there's potential here for something even better.

Steven Brundage - Stop me if you've heard this already, but I've seen this guy before. He was on Penn and Teller: Fool us not too long ago and actually managed to be one of the few ones to fool them, he was also a BIG viral hit years ago for getting out of a speeding ticket using his tricks, so I'm quite familiar with him and know what he CAN do and he's a serious contender for a spot in the finals. Rubics cube solvers have become a staple in various Got Talent formats in other countries, some have even WON, but it never really caught on here. This guy however, is a in a WHOLE new class and I look forward to seeing him prove that.

Sila Sveta - Is every multimedia act REQUIRED to have a foreign stage director at this point? I imagine you just get thrown out if you say you are ACTUALLY from America. The flying bit was a neat gimmick and i've always enjoyed these acts, but it's starting to get a LITTTTTTTTTLE bit old, so I hope they can spice it up (no, Mel, not you) even more next round.

The Passing Zone - I thought I could make it through an episode without recognising someone, but now we are already at 2. Was season 11 really a soft reboot of the show? Did we miss a memo somewhere saying this was just going to be season 1 all over again? Was RL Bell actually Prince Poppycock? Well I remember these guys very well and they actually made it all the way to the final back in season 1. They've always stuck with me as the best juggling act we've seen on the show and were one of my favourites back then, so seeing them here again was a treat. I'm really not sure they can recreate what they achieved first time and get as far as they did, but they are absolutely fantastic at what they do and always entertaining to watch so consider me a fan.

RL Bell - Oddly enough, this guy felt like a breath of fresh air, certainly one of the more quirky/entertaining singers this season. Although I think he's being set up for a big failure and will either go full on cornball or dull his act down to a complete stop.

Moya Angela - Fantastic vocals indeed, it'll be interesting to see if Simon's golden buzzer manages to get far based on her story alone, because there are certainly MUCH better female singers than her this season and Moya is one of them.

While I'm not quite ready to throw my arms in the air and scream "BEST AUDITIONS EVER! like Heidi, I think it's been a very VERY solid season/soft reboot of season 1 so far. The judges cut has always been the most frustrating part for me, with acts disappearing and appearing out of nowhere and the ultimate decisions being questionable, but I'm going in rooting for at least 15 acts (Tape Face, Passing Zone, Ryan Beard, Julia Scotti, Viktor Kee, Malevo etc etc) so if at least half of them make it, I have someone to root for. And I'm hoping the picks by the guest judges will be more interesting...it's going to be the screaming old man isn't it?...it totally will...

• Love 6

I love Nick, too, and I love that he genuinely likes people, and especially, old and/or older people. He plays no favourites as regard to colour, race, sex, religion, sexual orientation, species, etc.; and he always makes me happy. He's one of the reasons I'm still watching. But, having said that, I wish he hadn't given the golden buzzer to that fabulous old dame. I think she came on the show as a lark; she's 90, wanted to have some fun and never expected to go any further than her audition. Now, as someone else pointed out, she will be taking the place of a performer who might be more deserving, talent and potential wise. I'll be glad to see her smiling face again, but not as a contestant in the live rounds.

I, too, loved RL Bell and Rubik's cube guy the most of all. RL is kind of corny, but I don't mind that; just wish he wouldn't do the strip tease in addition to singing.

Singers didn't annoy me too much this year, but maybe that was because there weren't the usual glut of wgwg or middling country singers. The kids were bad enough, even though talented; wish they had a junior version of this or an age limit. As an old broad myself, I don't really enjoy watching kids unless they're exceptional. For me, while all the kid singers we've seen have been cute and talented, none has been mind-blowing.

• Love 6

Hey, I'll lead the old broad charge booting those "somewhat talented but mostly getting by on cute" kids.

[Note:  I only saw her on the compilation show, but the nessun dorma kid hit my official mind:blown mark.]

• Love 1

I liked the Rubik's Cube guy,  Bell, Moya and the Rap Girl.   And I don't like rap, but the kid was cute, had a good stage presence and performed very well. 

Unlike Idol, where there were usually two or three that could win and you could figure it out, I have no idea who will win and it seems like there are at least 10 acts that have a good chance, maybe more.

My first year with AGT.  I don't do reality shows and gave up on Idol after Melinda Doolittle was ridiculously cut.   So, I'm not bored or don't have preconceived notions with the judges or competitors.

This episode repeated. I missed it the first time around. It does answer a few questions I had now that the show has progressed. 

I don't feel like I missed much. I did really like RL Bell. The Rubik's Cube guy was pretty good. 

I understand why Nick gave the 90 year old stripper the golden buzzer. Maybe it was a set up by the producers because the judges had all used the ones they had, but they did give the old lady one more night in the spotlight. I think she appreciated that. Maybe the rest of us didn't.