Type keyword(s) to search

That One Scene Worth Waiting For...

• Start Topic

Does anyone else watch movies or TV show reruns just to see a certain scene (or scenes) all over again?  Sometimes I'll watch until I see that scene and then go on to watch something else.  Of course, it's always a comedy.   In Easy Money, I just love the scene in which Joe Pesci drives his van over some obnoxious frat guys in a sports car who take his place at the racetrack (there's a similar scene in Fried Green Tomatoes, when Kathy Bates shoves her big ol' sedan into a tiny car driven by some young gals who took her spot, telling them she has ample insurance to get away w/ such stuff).  These are things I guess I'd love to do but don't dare!

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, there are too many to count!  Here are but a few:

Burlesque (which I just wrote about in the other new topic):  If I catch it before the big reveal of just how well she can sing, I'll stick around and watch until that point.

My Cousin Vinny:  The scene where Mona takes the stand.  Too bad it's at the end of the movie.  Not that I don't love the whole movie, because I do, but because when I'm channel surfing, it's usually at night when I'm in bed and 9 times out of 10 will fall asleep before the movie is over.

Pearl Harbor:  It's tough when you remember that what you are watching really happened, but the bombing scene was done really well. I'll usually watch until that scene is over.

Jurassic Park:  From the time they see the first dinosaur up until right after Malcom is done telling them what he thinks of their park.

The Avengers: I like the whole movie, but will continue channel surfing until it gets to the forest scene where they are fighting over Loki, then I'll go back to channel surfing and come back when it's about time for the ending when Loki meets Tony in his apartment, right up until after Cap tells the cops what he needs and they question why they should listen to them (unless that's before Bruce shows up and Cap gives out the assignments.  I don't remember right now, but I like that sequence, too, so I try not to miss it).

CA: Winter Soldier:  Once the elevator fight scene is over, I'm ok with leaving the channel until it's about time for the street fight scene where The Winter Soldier's identity is revealed.

That's enough for now, but I'm sure I'll be back for more in this topic. 

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

the street fight scene where The Winter Soldier's identity is revealed.

This is probably my fave fight scene in any of the Marvel movies (but WOW is there some property destroyed, heh).  I also will stop and watch the earlier scene when Fury is trying to evade Hydra on the road ("air conditioning is fully operational").

Guardians of the Galaxy - the scene where they're discussing Quill's barely-a-concept-plan that ends with Rocket saying "bunch of jackasses, standing in a circle"  I laugh every single time.

Not really a scene but the end credits of Bring It On never get old, with show bloopers and the cast dancing around to "Mickey" .  Love when they beat up on the spirit fingers guy!

The King and I - Yul Brynner and Deborah Kerr "Shall We Dance".

I'm sure there are more...

Edited by raven
  • Love 4

Since Guardians of the Galaxy is one of my new favorites, I'm going to add the scene where Quill begins with trying to start a dance off, then grabs the infinity stone, and, well, he and the others turn into the Guardians of the Galaxy. Awesome scene.

• Love 4

Phenomenal topic!

1)  Godfather Epic - the baptism scene when family debts are paid ;)

2)  In Harm's Way - Burgess Meredith talks to John Wayne before a huge naval battle about being scared.  The Duke at his Dukiest!

3)  Leap of Faith - Steve Martin explaining how he will not mess with "the real deal, " with a teenage boy real deal.

4)  The Caine Mutiny - Humphrey Bogart on the witness stand.  Jose Ferrer eviscerating Fred McMurray at the party.

5)  Dave - The speech by Kevin Kline in front of Congress admitting guilt in a scandal.

• Love 1

Dave - The speech by Kevin Kline in front of Congress admitting guilt in a scandal.

My favorite Dave moment is the sequence starting with his friend, the accountant, coming over to help with the books, right up until he admits to the first lady that he's not her husband.  When I come across the movie, I'm always pleased if I see that it's before those scenes.

• Love 7

I am not ashamed to admit I will always wait for the Steve-rescues-Bucky scene in The First Avenger. "I thought you were dead." "I thought you were smaller."

The tennis match game of questions in Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead is another one, and later the one where they use role play to try and figure out what's going on with Hamlet.

Burn After Reading: the scene with Brad Pitt and John Malkovich in the car (I wish Pitt would do more comedy, because he's hilarious in that movie). The whole thing is so absurd, and then comes that awesome surprise punch. And then of course what follows afterwards - that shot of Brad Pitt and Frances McDormand rolling up next to John Malkovich in the car, she giving him the finger while Pitt's character just looks wounded and sulky. Makes me cackle every time. 

• Love 2

...And Justice For All - Arthur's (Al Pacino) closing argument, particularly this line "My client, the Honorable Henry T. Fleming, should go right to fucking jail, the sonofabitch is guilty!!!" I pump my fist every time I pull it up on YouTube lol

• Love 2

I mean, I watch the whole movie anyway, but I LIVE for the scene in Clerks when Randall finally lets Dante have it for pussyfooting around and passing the buck all day.  A strong runner up is when Veronica does the same thing earlier in the movie, but Randall's is a little more cathartic.

I also love the scene in Mulan when she figures out how to scale that large pole first.  And if Legally Blonde is on, I'm not turning it off before Paulette finally finds her courage and screams "I'm taking the dog....DUMBASS!"

Oh, and the Twist and Shout scene in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.  There's so many memorable moments, but that scene is just pure joy to me.  

• Love 3

The Queen:  Tony Blair's staff is sitting around in the office, watching the queen struggle to balance royal dignity with grief.  They take verbal potshots at her, at how out of touch she seems, and then Blair snaps, and reminds them that she has dedicated her whole life to public service, without any hint of scandal.  It's on now, and I'm really tired and dying to go to bed, but . . .I  might just wait for that scene.

• Love 7

Roy Hobbs last time at bat in The Natural and the announcers call of "he did it!" It took on an even greater legendary status when true life followed art and Kirk Gibson's homer became the inspiration for the Dodgers winning the World Series.

Chariots of Fire while Abrahams the newly minted  World's Fastest Man watches in awe when Eric Liddell kicks his head back and just runs towards victory in the 400 meters

Edited by Raja
  • Love 4

I just rewatched Muppets Most Wanted and I think the "We're Doing A Sequel" opening number is the best part of the movie because it's so spot-on about the Hollywood industry...not to mention the line about the studio waiting for Tom Hanks to make Toy Story 4, which turned out to be true, LOL.

Also got to give mention to Piggy demolishing Constintine.

Dammit, ABC bring back the show!

• Love 4

From Gladiator: The scene where Maximus takes off his helmet and reveals to Commodus that he's still alive.  And his speech...ooh, that speech.  Gives me chills.  Once that scene's done, I can go on with my life and not have to watch the rest of the movie.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, wallflower75 said:

From Gladiator: The scene where Maximus takes off his helmet and reveals to Commodus that he's still alive.  And his speech...ooh, that speech.  Gives me chills.  Once that scene's done, I can go on with my life and not have to watch the rest of the movie.

Best moment of Russell Crowe's career, that scene. Gives me chills every time.

Another one for me is the Tiny Dancer scene in Almost Famous. I really like the movie, and would watch the whole thing if I found it on TV, but that particular scene is so wonderful. Heartwarming and sweet and a perfect example of one of the movie's central themes, that music can truly unite people.

Oh, and Al Pacino's monologue in Any Given Sunday. The movie as a whole isn't that memorable, but that one scene is incredible. And I say this as someone who thinks that Pacino has spent most of the last thirty years just shouting.

• Love 3

In honor of Sully, the last flight sequence when Denzel takes the plane goes inverted in Flight,  while not Denzel but Chris Pine in Unstoppable doing the action when the truck chases down the train and Denzel, stranded on top of a train car lifts his arms in triumph

• Love 1

And any gun kata scene from Equilibrium; especially the last one.

I could watch him save the puppy a million times.

Edward proposes to Elinor in Sense and Sensibility (even though we don't see the actual proposal).  The way Hugh Grant says "my heart is and always will be yours" gets me every time.  Then Kate Winslet and family fretting and spying outside {"he's kneeling down!").  It's touching and funny.

Edited by raven
  • Love 8

Charlton Heston cursing us when he comes across Lady Liberty in Planet of the Apes.

The reveal of the substance in Soylent Green.

Magnum shooting Ivan.

Almost Famous, when Penny Lane (Kate Hudson) was told she was "traded" in a poker game.

Antithetical to the premise, but every single Maurice Binder opening, almost all with John Barry orchestration, for James Bond movies.  I replay them over and over and over. 

• Love 1

I had a real litmus test last weekend.  I happened to find West Side Story on opposite the 1:00 football games.  Apparently, I will flip back to the movie for anything involving Rita Moreno (Notably "America", duh, but I also love the "Tonight" quintet) and Gee Officer Krupke.  The most surprising part of all is that I chose the last five minutes of the movie over the first five minutes of the Giants game (My Giants, people!!  In Dallas.  On opening weekend.) to see Maria's speech at the end.  That's how I know it rates.

From A League of Their Own, a movie I could watch endlessly on repeat, the one scene I have to flip back for every time is the bus scene where Jimmy tells Miss Cuthbert, "By the way, I loved you in the 'Wizard of Oz'".  It's never not funny.  And "WHO'S LOU!?!?" is also from that same scene.

My Inglorious Basterds scene is after the tavern scene at the vet's office.  That entire scene is gold.   

-I don't speak Italian.

-Like I said, third best.

And this one is pretty stupid but every time Attack of the Clones is on I have to flip back to the arena scene so I can be impressed with Natalie Portman's abs.  You'd think by now I would have been inspired enough to work on my own, but alas, that hasn't been the case.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, kiddo82 said:

I had a real litmus test last weekend.  I happened to find West Side Story on opposite the 1:00 football games.  Apparently, I will flip back to the movie for anything involving Rita Moreno (Notably "America", duh, but I also love the "Tonight" quintet) and Gee Officer Krupke.  The most surprising part of all is that I chose the last five minutes of the movie over the first five minutes of the Giants game (My Giants, people!!  In Dallas.  On opening weekend.) to see Maria's speech at the end.  That's how I know it rates.

West Side Story is just a run of show stopper followed up by another show stopper. Anytime it is on it is a matter if I will stay for the next song.

• Love 8
On 9/14/2016 at 6:30 PM, ChelseaNH said:

Continuing my Marvel theme:  As much as I enjoy Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the one scene I wait for is when Maria Hill shows up in the van.

"Who's this guy?" cracks me up every time.

I never liked Colbie Smulders on How I Met Your Mother, but I adore her as Maria Hill.

• Love 6

Most of Cruel Intentions is, for most of the movie, a kind of weird mix of campy ridiculousness, Madonna/whore complex, and some moments of brilliance sprinkled in. However, the ending, which I wont show because its a big spoiler, is one of my favorite uses of music in a movie ever, one of my favorite endings, and the reason Bittersweet Symphony still gets regular play on my I PHONE.  

• Love 9

Most of Cruel Intentions is, for most of the movie, a kind of weird mix of campy ridiculousness, Madonna/whore complex, and some moments of brilliance sprinkled in. However, the ending, which I wont show because its a big spoiler, is one of my favorite uses of music in a movie ever, one of my favorite endings, and the reason Bittersweet Symphony still gets regular play on my I PHONE.  

I will always stop on that scene for the same reasons.  Of course, I will also always stop on "You can put it anywhere" for very different reasons.  Such is the film.

• Love 2

Jurassic Park - The T-Rex attack. Still holds my attention to this day. If it is on TV and I haven't missed it I will sit there until I see it. If it has already occurred I am happy to switch to something else.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Once again it involves the T-Rex. When they are attacking the trailer and pushing it off the clip. Gripping stuff and the tension is brilliant.

Edited by Bill1978
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

I will always stop on that scene for the same reasons.  Of course, I will also always stop on "You can put it anywhere" for very different reasons.  Such is the film.

Cruel Intentions was my favourite film throughout my teens. I have seen it more than any other. I'm pretty sure the "down boy" scene single-handedly awoke my sexuality. Ryan Phillippe in that film is responsible for a generation of gay boys coming to some strong realizations.

• Love 2