Type keyword(s) to search

That One Scene Worth Waiting For...

• Start Topic

So I'm watching Sweeney Todd on TV. In light of recent events, my feelings about Johnny Depp are very conflicted. But this was one of his better movies from the last decade, and the one scene I always make a point of watching is when Mrs. Lovett tells him that his wife drank poison after being raped by the judge, and there's a brief cut to his face. He never says a word, he doesn't need to. The raw grief in his eyes just says everything. It's the most emotion his psychologically-damaged character shows in the whole movie.

• Love 4

Some shallow moments:

The beach volleyball scene in Top Gun, because of Rick Rossovich's body.

The ending (or close to ending; I can't remember) scene of Independence Day, because of how good Jeff Goldblum looks in that flight suit.

On a non-shallow note, another scene from Independence Day: The First Lady in the hospital, because Mary McDonnell nails the moment where she gestures for the president to get their daughter out the room, because she can't keep it together anymore.

• Love 3

The runaway train scene that's the emotional climax of Spider-Man II.  It makes me cry every. single. time.

Also, the scene where Aunt May doesn't quite come out and admit to Peter that she knows his secret.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

The beach volleyball scene in Top Gun, because of Rick Rossovich's body.

Because I recently watched this film again, quoting for emphasis.  Tall, lean, and oiled up - thank you, Top Gun. 

15 hours ago, starri said:

The runaway train scene that's the emotional climax of Spider-Man II.  It makes me cry every. single. time.

Right there with you. It's a great scene. 

16 hours ago, Bastet said:

The ending (or close to ending; I can't remember) scene of Independence Day, because of how good Jeff Goldblum looks in that flight suit.

I always remember the way Margaret Colin's character does a little jump for joy as she's running to leap into his arms. Same, Constance!

• Love 1
On 4/8/2017 at 11:31 AM, ribboninthesky1 said:

I always remember the way Margaret Colin's character does a little jump for joy as she's running to leap into his arms. Same, Constance!

I liked that scene.  I love the scene on the airplane where they are discussing whether or not to use nuclear weapons, David (Jeff Goldblum) says it can't be allowed.  Everyone's arguing, Julius starts talking about Area 51, David, the President and the General start to tell him it's not true, the former CIA Director says, "Actually Mr. President that's not quite accurate," and the look on Bill Pullman's face is priceless as is Jeff Goldblums' "Huh which part?"  I also liked the President telling David to work with the scientists to see if he can figure out anything they couldn't, "Let's see if you are as smart as we all HOPE you are."

Armageddon - Harry and Chick have been arguing with Colonel Sharp, Rock Hound and Max walk in on it, Rock Hound, "What did we miss?"  They shut the nuke off, Max, "It sucks up here."

The Green Mile - Tom Hanks has the guys over for dinner.  He wants to talk about John Coffey and Melinda.  "You'll saw what he did with the mouse."  Bruno's response, "I could have gone all day without hearing about that."  It so clearly said, "Dude, we are practical men living in the 1930s, WE DO NOT talk about things we don't understand.  We don't talk about our feelings, our clothes or our hair, and we don't talk about mouses coming back to life."

Space Cowboys when Clint Eastwood is blackmailing the NASA guy into letting Clint and his former crew handle the mission, "Think about it, but don't take to long, I'm not getting any younger."

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 1

While my favorite scenes in Love, Simon involve the drama teacher, I have to say that the scene where Simon is talking to his mother after he came out to his family moves me every time. When she says that he finally gets to be himself, Jennifer Garner makes me feel the love that the character has for her son.  I've always thought that she was the best part of Juno and I think she was the perfect actress for this role, too. 

• Love 6

Every time Addams Family Values is on, I make sure never to miss the following exchange:

"You have gone too far. You have married Fester, you have destroyed his spirit, you have taken him from us. All that I could forgive. But Debbie..."

"What?!"

"Pastels?"

It's the pained look on Morticia's face, complete with judgmental raised eyebrow, that nails it.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Does anyone else watch movies or TV show reruns just to see a certain scene (or scenes) all over again?  

I didn't find it a great adaptation but my favourite scene from PRELUDE TO A KISS (1992) is when Meg Ryan's character is trying to convince Alec Baldwin that she's really herself and it you think maybe he's bought it. Then he kisses her and when he pulls back tears are brimming in his eyes and he points out all the ways he knows she's lying. 

I have a thing about great film endings so anytime I have the chance to see the end montages of THE DARK KNIGHT and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, I'm there. Or the endings to THE MIRROR HAS TWO FACES with Barbra Streisand and Jeff Daniels dancing in the street and CON AIR.  

Another scene I always go back to is in CREED with Michael B. Jordan racing the riders to Rocky's home. So fantastic. I saw it in the theater and lost my mind. I still feel the same watching it at home. 

• Love 3

Scream is one of my favorite movies, but there's something to the scene of Ghostface sneaking around behind Randy as he's watching Halloween that gets me every time.  Watching Jamie Kennedy, in character, addressing Laurie Strode by saying "Behind you, Jamie!  Behind you!" while we see the killer sneaking behind him is BRILLIANT.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, starri said:

Scream is one of my favorite movies, but there's something to the scene of Ghostface sneaking around behind Randy as he's watching Halloween that gets me every time.  Watching Jamie Kennedy, in character, addressing Laurie Strode by saying "Behind you, Jamie!  Behind you!" while we see the killer sneaking behind him is BRILLIANT.

It is, as is much of the movie; I don't think I've ever seen anything that is such a delicious parody of a genre while simultaneously being a fantastic offering within the genre.

• Love 8

The scene is brilliant on its own, and then you have a character played by an actor named Jamie addressing a different character, using that actor's actual name, which is ALSO Jamie, describe the action HIS character needs to be performing.  That goes through the fourth wall and back around.  It's honestly one of the most clever movie scenes I've ever seen.

Scream 2 also has a gem of a scene of Gale getting genuinely upset after the death of a fan-favorite character.  Dewey calls it just her playing things up, and she just starts spitting fire.  "There are no cameras here.  I just want to find this fucker!"  It's hard for me to believe that Courtney Cox had to beg to get cast in the first movie.

• Love 7

The part in Jaws where Quint drunkenly recounts the fateful attack of the USS Indianapolis is probably one of the best moments of the movie (without the shark). Fantastic delivery by Robert Shaw, and the details were so disturbing that we were all grateful for the bit of relief we get when they all start singing “Show Me the Way to Go Home.” 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The part in Jaws where Quint drunkenly recounts the fateful attack of the USS Indianapolis is probably one of the best moments of the movie (without the shark). Fantastic delivery by Robert Shaw, and the details were so disturbing that we were all grateful for the bit of relief we get when they all start singing “Show Me the Way to Go Home.” 

I did not immediately realize Quint's story was based on a true event.  In my defense, I was only 11 when I first saw Jaws.  I thought it was just some made-up thing for the movie until my older brother told me otherwise, and I looked it up for myself.

• Love 1

The airplane rescue scene in Superman Returns.  Superman has to save the space shuttle and put it into orbit, and also detach the commercial airliner from the shuttle and save the plane before it crashes into a packed ballpark.  That movie has a lot (a lot!) of problems, but I just plain (plane) like that scene, even though I am fairly certain that all that stresses on that aircraft (including shuttle exhaust toasting the top of it) would have broken it up midair and/ or Lois would be dead from massive internal injuries after being banged around the inside like she was.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 4
On 8/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I loved that scene, but, that's the one scene worth waiting for in this movie? For me, it was when Brody KILLT The motherfucking JAWS and he blewed up! (yes, those "typos" are deliberate!)

• Love 2
On 8/20/2021 at 10:20 PM, Spartan Girl said:

That really is the best scene in the movie, which is saying a lot because it's a terrific movie.  Reading Steven Spielberg's account of how the scene came to be is fascinating.

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/jaws-the-uss-indianapolis-quint-speech-steven-spielbergs-favorite-scene/

• Love 3