Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I'm shocked he said that. Most of these people won't even go to Rite Aids or Pizza Hits where beer is available, let alone let alcohol enter their homes or touch their lips. They believe Jesus turned water into grape juice, etc.

Also - I don't think he knows what the word Liberty means.

Maybe it's tough sell trying to get his "congregation" to abstain completely? Also, don't bowling alleys usually sell beer, and that's where they just celebrated a  birthday?

8 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

You think Jinger was defrauded by the codpieces of the male ballet dancers?

Women can't be defrauded, according to them . . . .

• Love 2

No, but the men can.  Lithe young women in sleeveless body suits and short tutus lifting their legs in provocative ways.  Ladies being lifted by male dancers in ways that show their "lady bits" though they are completely covered.  Oh and the females are lifted above the man's head, which figuratively puts them "above" the male.  All unheard of in Gothard circles!  Never mind that it's a centuries-old art form that requires years of practice, dedication, hard work, skill and determination.  

Kudos to Jeremy and the Vuolos for exposing Jinger to a world she most likely has never experienced.  Ballet is something I never envision the Duggars condoning, let alone seeing.  And with her artistic leanings, I hope it spoke to her.  

• Love 19

Just finished page 32.  I had done this once before and it got all screwed up, so I gave up for a few days in frustration.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 8:17 AM, Jeeves said:

Apologies if I'm preaching to the choir or repeating what's already been discussed, but here's the context of these Duggar weddings as I see it.

The Duggars, despite their fame and TLC money, are full on 21st Century big-family-evangelical-fundies firmly rooted in the Bible Belt. Their idea of an appropriate wedding reflects their heritage and current belief system. IMO they would sooner consider plastering "Darwin was right" bumper stickers on their Stink Bus, than having a wedding reception with dancing and booze. Jill's and Jessa's weddings were, IMO, just your basic 21st Century fundie weddings with much larger guest lists. And TLC camera crews. Because, among other things, the Duggar brand is all about "modesty," frugality, and being holier-than-thou.

I grew up in a rural/small-town part of the Bible Belt (Oklahoma, next door to Arkansas) in the 50's and 60's and know what Southern Baptist weddings were like in that time and place. AFAIK, the Duggars' heritage is Bible Belt Southern Baptist, and they seem to stick with the Southern Baptists when they attend a denominational church, although of course they long ago dived headlong into the whole Gothard/fundie edition of that belief system. 

I've seen people from other regions of the US, and different traditions and cultures within the US, be kind of gobsmacked by those old fashioned Southern Baptist weddings. What?? No booze?? No dancing?? No dinner??

You bet your *ss. Just a nice wedding cake in the church hall after the wedding, with non-alcoholic drinks and possibly some light snacks. The adults socialize, the kids run around and play, and the happy couple hops into a car decorated by their friends with a "Just Married" sign and drives off into the sunset. And that's what the Duggars come from, and AFAIK what a lot of people in the fundie-Quiverfull world still do.

EDITED to add: Not to go off topic too far, but I want to note that my 21st Century Southern Baptist relatives (who aren't outlying fundie kooks and among other things use birth control, have college educations, and hold REAL jobs) have thrown some really fancy weddings in recent decades, including catered dinner receptions. I'm sure that's the new normal in many circles, including in the Bible Belt.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:02 AM, Arwen Evenstar said:

That's right....typical IFB / SB weddings were: invite the whole church, cake and punch for everyone in the fellowship hall... maybe a finger sandwich. Most southerners don't expect to get fed at a wedding. Most are held between lunch and dinner anyway.  

I think it all depends on the brand of fundie.  Mr. Funky and I went to a wedding of his co-worker that I think I've mentioned prior a few years ago.  That wedding was bizarre.  The reception couldn't be in the church the wedding was in because they were doing faith healings (yes, you read that right) in the church hall that day.  So it was up the road at a more mainstream denomination church.  Instead of the church hall, they held it in the gym.  It was held around 2pm, and we had punch, and nuts, and cold sandwiches.  They were pre-made, I recall, because they all had mayo on them, and I hate mayo, so I passed.  I remember there being a cold salad - like potato salad or cole slaw.  There was a small cake and we got cupcakes.  I was expecting to see them open their presents, but no.  After a bit, we were thanked for coming, and we left.  It was just really odd.  She was fundie and he wasn't.  That marriage lasted less than 2 years.

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:36 PM, allonsyalice said:

Can someone please explain to me what is going on with her dress, though? if it was a modest extension, why not remove the upper hem? there is no way she could have bought it like that. 

It more looks to me like the dress stopped at the first ruffle and someone photoshopped the bottom on because she was showing too much.  It's just bizarre.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 7:17 PM, Joe Jitsu913 said:

I'm sorry but I hate the word 'meek'.  It reminds me of how you would describe a dog. If a guy said I was meek,  I'd be none too pleased.  Of course,  meek is a compliment in fundie circles. 

Yup - blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the Earth.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, Saytura said:

Wouldn't Jeremy be paid as a pastor?  I don't think I've seen anything that says that he does that work for free.  The church in Laredo is part of a bigger church in San Antonio that has multiple pastors and deacons listed on their website.  There's no way all those people aren't getting paid.  Depending on how the bigger church is structured, Jeremy may even qualify for health insurance through the church.

Pay for a small non-denominational church wouldn't be great.  Churches also factor in giving the pastor a place to live in their pay.  They probably get bare-bones insurance.  Heck, I've seen over the years what the pastor gets paid at several churches I've attended (it's part of church business) and it's never a huge amount.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:58 PM, queenanne said:

Been a while since I've been to a wedding so can't recall, but several people in the comments say it's a common East Coast thing.  The male guest who catches the garter the groom throws, is required to stick it on the leg of the female guest who caught the bride's bouquet.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:21 PM, Clemgo3165 said:

They've done it at virtually every wedding I've been to. East coast, Catholic girl, mostly the traditional sit-down dinner wedding with the dollar dance afterwards. A few times that's been fun, with a cute, single girl catching the bouquet and a cute, single guy catching the garter. One wedding I went to though my older cousin caught the garter and had to slip it on his little sister's leg - and it has to go above the knee...more than a teeny bit awkward.

Unfortunately yes, the garter dealy is common at many weddings I go to.  I forgot to warn one of my bridesmaids at my wedding.  She was of a different religion, and not familiar.  Couple that in with the co-worker at the time of my husband's catching the garter, and being drunk, and looking like he was on some expedition up her dress.  She looked so humiliated after, but she took it in stride later.  I've never been a fan.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:39 AM, Jeeves said:

If the Trainwreck of Mind-Destroying Boredom that is Counting On, is to have another season after this one? I want to see the TLC camera crews follow Jinger in her new role as pastor's wife in that tiny church in Laredo. I want to see how she copes with preparing that big free lunch the church serves after every Sunday morning service. I don't know who makes that meal now, but I can't imagine that in such a fundie church, the pastor's wife would have no responsibilities in connection with it. 

I wonder if Jinger expects that married life will go something like: she gets knocked up right away, a few of her younger sisters are shipped to Texas to live with her and help her with the enormous job of running a home for herself and Jeremy, and with the HYOOGE!! job of caring for a baby along with keeping house after the baby comes. While Jinger is busy being Jeremy the pastor's meek helpmeet. Whatever that means. Although we may see a few sisterwives slinging hash to the faithful at the free church lunch on Sunday while Jinger hangs on to Jeremy's arm.

Most churches I've attended either do pot luck, or have a crew of volunteers that helps prep an after-church dinner.  Mr. Funky helped with church dinners a few times.  There was a rotating selection of older church members that helped out with him.  There were speakers downstairs, so they could hear the sermon while cooking.

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 4:13 PM, Missy Vixen said:

They'll do the same thing the rest of us do when we are more or less compelled to attend a Fundie Wedding or other event orchestrated by the super-religious. They'll meet up at a restaurant elsewhere and have their own celebration. I'd like to be invited to THAT one*.

*Wine and really good Italian food will most likely be on the agenda...

Yeah ,we went out for pizza after leaving a few weddings - some of them non-fundie - because there was a lack of food, or a lack of GOOD food.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 8:11 AM, Churchhoney said:

I don't actually watch this show, so I've been wondering through this conversation -- Did the pre-wedding and wedding shows for Anna, Derick and Ben feature their immediate and extended families much? Did they get any talking heads or mini-scenes or whatever? Did grandparents even get on video (I think Derick at least has at least one of these?) I don't remember hearing much about that, but I really have no idea.

The one for Anna showed her brothers and sisters.  I recall people being surprised on the TWOP board that she had a sister-in-law with short, stripy hair and wore pants.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

And that "succulent" tree they were standing in front of? Identified as being at the Longwood Garden Conservatory outside of Philly. It appears that someone else gave the Christmas sermon last Sunday in Laredo. Make of that what you will. You'd think a lead pastor would be on hand to preach the (arguably) most important sermon of the year. 

I fear it means that what he really is is a TeeVee Person. Sort of like the rest of the Duggar marriers-in.      Must. Film. Tee. Vee. Show......Must. Be, Photographed. For. P. R. Shots.  .....Supposed professional calling be damned.

Because, seriously, why else would somebody from Philadelphia, New Jersey and Laredo go chasing after Jinger Duggar. Surely there were other fish in his various seas.

• Love 12

You'd think it would be mandatory for a lead pastor to give the sermon on Christmas and Easter. Sunday is the one primary day they have to show up for work. (I totally get people in ministry have other church related things to do on other days). It irks me when they take off on what should be the most significant day of the week, possibly the year (secondary to Easter).

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

You'd think it would be mandatory for a lead pastor to give the sermon on Christmas and Easter. Sunday is the one primary day they have to show up for work. (I totally get people in ministry have other church related things to do on other days). It irks me when they take off on what should be the most significant day of the week, possibly the year (secondary to Easter).

And this year it was even easier than it would be usually to be there for the Christmas Eve (if any) and Christmas Day services. Since Christmas fell on a Sunday this year, what's usually two absolute obligations (I would think) were really combined into one. Most years they sort of have an obligation to show up both on the Sunday before Christmas as well as a Christmas and/or Christmas Eve service midweek. But apparently he couldn't even show up for the one.

I suppose the San Antonio mothership sent out another pastor to cover for him. Which I suppose means the San Antonio mothership is onboard with hoping to goose their overall membership numbers by employing a Famous TeeVee Person? Hard to see another reason why your boss would agree to your skipping out on one of the two most important days of the year.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Saytura said:

There's a Christmas Day sermon posted to their YouTube page that features Jeremy.  It could have been taped beforehand and shown at the service though.  

Well, good for him if he stayed home and returned home and delivered it. Maybe he did. Airplanes can do wonders these days.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

And this year it was even easier than it would be usually to be there for the Christmas Eve (if any) and Christmas Day services. Since Christmas fell on a Sunday this year, what's usually two absolute obligations (I would think) were really combined into one. Most years they sort of have an obligation to show up both on the Sunday before Christmas as well as a Christmas and/or Christmas Eve service midweek. But apparently he couldn't even show up for the one.

I suppose the San Antonio mothership sent out another pastor to cover for him. Which I suppose means the San Antonio mothership is onboard with hoping to goose their overall membership numbers by employing a Famous TeeVee Person? Hard to see another reason why your boss would agree to your skipping out on one of the two most important days of the year.

Ministers have families too. I'm the daughter, niece and granddaughter to Ministers and they visit other family member's during Christmas also.  There are assistant Ministers who leap at the chance to lead the worship when the Minister is gone. Father went to see my mother's family this year and went to church with my grandparents two states away.  Our church has a ton of people gone on holidays. It's never been that big a deal because we believe you should celebrate Christ everyday and not just a single day of the year. 

• Love 9

In re the garter toss: I was at one wedding where I caught the bouquet (It was a mixed Jewish wedding) and some poor shnook caught the garter.  To spare us any awkwardness, I had him put the garter on my arm.    At least these guys don't do that.  

4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I fear it means that what he really is is a TeeVee Person. Sort of like the rest of the Duggar marriers-in.      Must. Film. Tee. Vee. Show......Must. Be, Photographed. For. P. R. Shots.  .....Supposed professional calling be damned.

Because, seriously, why else would somebody from Philadelphia, New Jersey and Laredo go chasing after Jinger Duggar. Surely there were other fish in his various seas.

This applies to all men who marry into the Duggar clan but goes double for Jeremy. I'm still creeped out over his obviously fake enthusiasm for Jinger in the Laredo episode. Jeremy is like a sinister version of Tom Hiddleston in that "I <3 TS" tank. I look at him and think, "Dude, you're too old to pull this off. No one believes you."

• Love 11
On 12/26/2016 at 8:41 AM, DangerousMinds said:

But who needs some 20-something twerp's permission for anything?

He's an evangelical preacher, doing what evangelical preachers do - telling his flock how to walk, talk, dress, and live. Age is not relevant because he has been called by God to preach at this church. When I was 12, my parents went to a church with a 23 year old pastor who preached against TV by using his reaction to TV shows as an example as to why we (his flock) should not watch TV. At 12, I got the hypocrisy, all my parents got was "no TV b/c Pastor Rick says they're evil".

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

No, but the men can.  Lithe young women in sleeveless body suits and short tutus lifting their legs in provocative ways.  Ladies being lifted by male dancers in ways that show their "lady bits" though they are completely covered.  Oh and the females are lifted above the man's head, which figuratively puts them "above" the male.  All unheard of in Gothard circles!  Never mind that it's a centuries-old art form that requires years of practice, dedication, hard work, skill and determination.  

Kudos to Jeremy and the Vuolos for exposing Jinger to a world she most likely has never experienced.  Ballet is something I never envision the Duggars condoning, let alone seeing.  And with her artistic leanings, I hope it spoke to her.  

The Academy of Music is such a well-designed, ornate building, too. It really complements a show like The Nutcracker. It's a good choice of location and performance for someone who hasn't experienced much of that kind of thing. 

• Love 3

15822857_10157893360470167_8024492122003

On 12/29/2016 at 11:21 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Also spotted at the Academy of Music in Philly. Jinger got herself some nice opera glasses, presumably in Sydney (sorry, pic is too large to upload). 

eta: The Nutcracker is playing through the weekend, so I'll assume that's what they saw there. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, DOBABYR said:

Has it ever been confirmed he is the lead pastor? I heard Jim Bob refer to him as associate or jr pastor...I can't remember which one. 

Well, the actual church he works at in Laredo seems awfully small. It's just a little starter church, isn't it? I don't know how many pastors it could possibly have. (i.e., paying one looks like it would be a stretch...) So maybe he's an associate pastor for the church as a whole and the main pastor who works that church? It's true that the Laredo church has needed somebody else since he was away for a giant chunk of November, it seems, between wedding prep, wedding, post-wedding hideaway and Australian vacation. So I'd assume they sent another of the main church's associates over? Who knows, of course.

• Love 2

Or maybe the plans are already in motion to move Jeremy to Arkansas to pastor the Duggar mini-megachurch (A.K.A "house") that is currently under construction?  Maybe Jeremy has already put in his two weeks at his little church in Laredo and is currently packing up the dorm room to move it all Eastward.  That would explain how easy it was for him to get so much time away from pastoring.  He already gave his notice. Speculation, of course.

if they do move to Arkansas soon (my guess is in late January or early February), I will place bets that Jinger is expecting before winter is over.  

Oooohhhhh I wonder if that huge house/church will include a rectory apartment for the Vuolos?  That way JB won't have to buy a house for the couple and they can add on to it as their family grows.  

• Love 10
28 minutes ago, Lady Edith said:

Or maybe the plans are already in motion to move Jeremy to Arkansas to pastor the Duggar mini-megachurch (A.K.A "house") that is currently under construction?  Maybe Jeremy has already put in his two weeks at his little church in Laredo and is currently packing up the dorm room to move it all Eastward.  That would explain how easy it was for him to get so much time away from pastoring.  He already gave his notice. Speculation, of course.

if they do move to Arkansas soon (my guess is in late January or early February), I will place bets that Jinger is expecting before winter is over.  

Oooohhhhh I wonder if that huge house/church will include a rectory apartment for the Vuolos?  That way JB won't have to buy a house for the couple and they can add on to it as their family grows.  

Wait, JB's building an actual church? then has to be this or something similar. Jeremy was way too excited about being on TV and TLC isn't going to film in Laredo long term. It was always obvious that Jeremy and Jinger would eventually move to Arkansas and him being a pastor in the Duggar church provides a veneer of independent adulthood that Ben lacks. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Wait, JB's building an actual church? then has to be this or something similar. Jeremy was way too excited about being on TV and TLC isn't going to film in Laredo long term. It was always obvious that Jeremy and Jinger would eventually move to Arkansas and him being a pastor in the Duggar church provides a veneer of independent adulthood that Ben lacks. 

Well, Boob is doing *something* to a 10,000 square foot property that he bought years ago and sat on until... oh around the time that JinJer got engaged. A contractor posted pictures on his FB. That property should be just about done by now for whatever use Boob has in mind for it.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lascuba said:

With all the would-be ministers hanging around the TTH, I predict that that church, should it actually come into existence, will be known as The Church of the Twelve Pastors.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

With all the would-be ministers hanging around the TTH, I predict that that church, should it actually come into existence, will be known as The Church of the Twelve Pastors.

Well really it should be Church of the Pastor and 11 with Hearts for the Ministry. To long a name?

• Love 5
33 minutes ago, Almost 3000 said:

Well really it should be Church of the Pastor and 11 with Hearts for the Ministry. To long a name?

I might make it even longer. How about "Church of the Kinda Literate Pastor and One Kinda Literate, One Barely Literate and Nine Nearly Illiterate Hearts for the Ministry"? That way you'd really know what you were getting. Although I suppose that, since they're Duggars, that all goes without saying.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

I was surprised to see Jinge and Babe celebrating Christmas back east instead of with the Duggar clan.  It makes sense, though, if they will be moving to Arkansas in the near future and it also explains all of the time off he has had.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I guess Smuggar is passed over in the nine nearly illiterate ones. I just assumed you meant the other Duggar males with Boob donning the mantle of Jesus Himself.

I was actually passing over John David because I don't remember hearing much about him and some sort of ministry heart. (although I may have missed it). Plus, he's got other things that are similar to jobs! He's the only one that wouldn't have time to hang around the church and do whatever they'd do there .... Which would be grift, I guess. Grift and pontificate.

1 hour ago, Lady Edith said:

How about shortening that to "The Illiterati"?

Definitely.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1

I think jeremy is getting off by being Jinger's "teacher'".  Do you know what I mean?  Like that older man who likes to be the big daddy to the younger innocent girl. 

He likes to feel important and enjoys Jinger being so impressed with him. 

I'm wary of Jeremy.  He just seems like such a nut.  Their wedding day devotions (with eachother) just seemed so wacky... "we want to be intentional with our love".  Very bizarre, if you ask me. 

• Love 19
9 hours ago, Marigold said:

I think jeremy is getting off by being Jinger's "teacher'".  Do you know what I mean?  Like that older man who likes to be the big daddy to the younger innocent girl. 

I'm wary of Jeremy.  He just seems like such a nut.  Their wedding day devotions (with eachother) just seemed so wacky... "we want to be intentional with our love".  Very bizarre, if you ask me. 

I've been wary of him since I read what seemed to me to be his convoluted ravings about his soccer career. It seemed that he was always in absolute agony about not having it be as brilliant as he thought it should be. I would have thought that eventually you'd just figure, Well, maybe I'm just a pretty good but not a great player; maybe my potential has peaked right here. Instead, he seemed to see all problems as messages from God that he should do this that or the other, or something he needed to blame on somebody else or on something he did or whatever. A bunch of angsty drama brought about because of a misfit between his ego and how life was actually turning out, it seemed to me anyway. And then he was telling reporters about this stuff, which also struck me as odd. Maybe I'm making too much of this, but in a couple articles I read he came across as a very big ego and not a happy one. So I can see this "teacher of the meek adoring woman" thing as another compensation for that. ....

Of course, I don't know why we keep being surprised that people who marry Duggar women are weird and a little messed up. I do believe that all three guys kind of innocently meant well. But anybody who'd choose today to get a wife out of the Duggar horde of 12-year-olds -- whom they didn't even know before they went after them as potential spouses -- and go through gatekeeper Jizm Bob and be part of their TeeVee Circus clearly has some screw loose somewhere. Well, maybe not Bin. He was and is primarily a child, I think. But Derick and Jeremy had to be in some state of confused desperation or other to do it, seems to me. It's such an unnatural situation in so many ways.

• Love 18
11 hours ago, Marigold said:

Absolutely. He chose her for a reason. He wouldn't be happy with a woman he couldn't easily dominate in stature, intellect, etc.

I had some hopes for him, but the longer he's around my gut reaction of Domineering Control Freak comes back.

The need to plot and plan every second of their lives based on some nut jobs workbook or scouring a bible until they find a verse that fits the current scheme of the day.

@Churchhoney if I could give 100 likes to your post directly above this one I would.

ive been around those guys my entire life. They're mostly mild narcissitcs looking for constant approval, and when they can't find it from their own actions or other people, they decide they aren't adored because they are holy and anyone who doesn't adore them is a blatant sinner. They are never wrong, and they believe God tells them it's everyone else, not them.

Guys like Jeremy have potential, but usually end up paranoid tyrants who nobody can please. I feel for Jinger. She will be competing with his ego and trying to meet his demands for the rest of her life. She will never meet them. No human can. If he turns full Gothard, he will blame everything on her. Everything. 

I hate to keep obsessing on Jana, but I think she knows this, and besides waiting on JimBob and Jesus to send her a good spouse, she knows most guys JB would approve are control freaks. She's already grown up on a household of them, so better to keep the devil you know instead of ending up with a dolt like Bin, a flake like Derrick or a bully like Jeremy.

• Love 15
10 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I hate to keep obsessing on Jana, but I think she knows this, and besides waiting on JimBob and Jesus to send her a good spouse, she knows most guys JB would approve are control freaks. She's already grown up on a household of them, so better to keep the devil you know instead of ending up with a dolt like Bin, a flake like Derrick or a bully like Jeremy.

I'm going to take my response to the Lonely J's thread.

• Love 1

Also spotted at the Academy of Music in Philly. Jinger got herself some nice opera glasses, presumably in Sydney 

I don't want to be a bitch (which of course is exactly what this site is for) but going to the ballet and needing binoculars is useless.  Unlike the opera, or a musical, the idea of going to ballet is paying enough for seats good enough so you can see the dancers, see them emote and, especially, hear the clack of the toe shoes.  I am a cheapo back-of-the-heater type of gal and I pay for orchestra for the ballet or don't go at all.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Remember when Derick took Jill to see a Broadway show? He was a full Duggar the next month. I hold out no hopes for this ballet business.

Jinger seems quite artistic, though -- at least as much as she ever could be within the tight constraints of her world. She's always been the one who was interested in the arts, interested in city life, etc. I think her wedding showed that she actually does have a pretty good eye, too -- the wedding might not have been perfect, but it was in a whole different league from her sisters'.

I think it's likely that she'll really, really want to keep going to performances, exhibits, galleries. Much more than Jill ever did. It seems like arts and culture are things Jinger has been dreaming about her whole life, and it seems like she's ecstatic to finally be experiencing them firsthand. I hope that Jeremy doesn't see any harm in that or brushes it off as irrelevant -- and honestly, I don't think he will. He's a lot of things, but he doesn't seem like a rube. He might even think it's feminine and refined that she's artistic. He might even find it attractive. He also seems to enjoy playing Henry Higgins to her Fair Lady, so I can see him enjoying showing her "the finer things" in life, like opera or ballet, because of that, too -- and Jinger genuinely enjoying the opera or ballet itself!

I guess my fingers are still crossed for them. I don't think that Jinger is a rebel in the least, but I do think that she might have some emotional depth to her after all (maybe), some soul. After all, she's the artistic one, the one who lit up like a firecracker around her man, the one who was going on about being devastated over the depths of her sinfulness (at age 5). She clearly feels things deeply. And if she does have some soul, it's probably going to lead her further and further away from the TTH. The kids with more brains but less heart, like Jessa, might actually end up sticking closer, because following JB's rules and collecting rewards from him for it is the ostensibly more practical and "smarter" path, and they won't feel as compelled (by their feelings) toward a different path anyway.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Almost 3000 said:

They are using binaculars when NO one else is and Jinger is also smirking so its a disingenuous picture. What else is new.

No one is looking at the stage. People are on their phones, talking, or reading their programs. The house lights are up. Pretentious nitwits figure no one who follows them ever goes to the theater and knows the difference. . 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

No one is looking at the stage. People are on their phones, talking, or reading their programs. The house lights are up. Pretentious nitwits figure no one who follows them ever goes to the theater and knows the difference. . 

I'll give them a pass on this one. Theater goers often peek into their binoculars before a show to get a closer look at the stage/theater, and people watch. At least I do. LOL.

• Love 11
34 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

Jinjin on piano

I lasted 46 seconds. Truly awful, frenetic and discordant piano playing...it's like an article of faith that all Fundy piano players slam on the piano, overuse the sustain pedal and sweep all over they keyboard. At least Erin does this with some panache, but no Jin, just no.

That said, I like Jinger more than the other Duggettes, so I don't like snarking on her particularly as much as I do the others. I get she's trying to do this from memory and maybe improv a bit, but it's truly dreadful.

• Love 5

I was rather impressed!  But I haven't played piano since high school and I always needed sheet music.  My dad couldn't read music and he would just sit down and improv.  He could really play well!

• Love 12