Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E09: Battle Of The Bastards

• Start Topic

(edited)
21 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I loved the battle field choreography. The choas, brutality, hacking, mud, and mutilated bodies felt real. As was Jon almost suffocating to death under all those bodies.

There is no evidence of this on the show, but I think that being reborn has given Jon some time of magical protection from his enemies somehow.

At the beginning of the battle, I thought Jon had become invincible because the horses were charging past him, and  it seemed like nobody was touching him. Then he started going after people and it was on.

Edited by dramachick
  • Love 12
18 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

He might be pissed that she didn't tell him she had an army at her beck and call. After he stopped beating on Ramsey, he turned his back on her and walked away. 

I'm glad Sansa has matured and changed but I'm totally pissed that she did not tell Jon about the Vale army coming. How many lives of her allies were sacrificed for no reason?  The fact that she may have let LF's words stop her from telling Jon suggests she's not as mature as she thinks she is. 

She's not there yet as far as maturity, but I think even if he knew the vale was coming Ramsey mind fucked him when he brought Rickon out for the game.

What were Jon's orders to Davos, do we know?

If Jon wanted to draw him out to charge them, maybe that back line was to stay put, but once Jon is on the ground all went out the window.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lemuria said:

I disagree.  Jon wasn't dismissing Sansa, he was dismissing her constant argument that they didn't have enough people. He was well aware of that. He also knew that this was all they were going to have--"Unless you know something I don't Sansa". 

"Uh no Jon. What could you possibly think I might know that I haven't told you?"

if Sansa wants trust, she needs to give it. 

What does she know??

Jon! we might have help coming from the Vale or my Uncle BF. ( changed on rewatch Brienne's letter may have reached them, as Jon said the BF can't help them), the bulk of my thinking remains as we have no proof of the Vale and everything else would still happen.

Sansa, what proof or guarantee can you give me? Did you get any replies or confirmation?

Sansa to Jon, none as yet, but I have hope.

Jon, Sansa hope on one hand pray in another, lets see which fills up first, we fight with the men we have.

I think she played it the best she could, no false hope as she had none to give; at the moment but a prayer is all she had.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

When someone is shooting arrows at you, it's probably better to not run in a straight line.

Except Ramsey's a good shot, and he let his arrow go left of Rickon on purpose maybe anticipating he zig or zag.

Edited by GrailKing
edit for BF
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, GrailKing said:

What does she know??

Jon! we might have help coming from the Vale or my Uncle BF.

Sansa, what proof or guarantee can you give me? Did you get any replies or confirmation?

Sansa to Jon, none as yet, but I have hope.

Jon, Sansa hope on one hand pray in another, lets see which fills up first, we fight with the men we have.

I think she played it the best she could, no false hope as she had none to give; at the moment but a prayer is all she had.

This makes no sense. Sansa had nothing to lose telling Jon about the Vale army possibly coming to help. Yes, there as a risk that he would dismiss her out of hand, but he might have decided to wait awhile longer and see if they showed up. 

Lemuria is right. Sansa should have trusted Jon whatever the outcome. He is her brother, no one in the world loves her unconditionally as he does. Littlefinger is only helping her because he wants to fuck her. Apparently, Sansa learnt the wrong things about the game dealing with Cersei whose machinations are destroying. However, I am cutting Sansa some slack. She has been through hell.

and told him about Littlefinger even if Jon decide not

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

I disagree.  Jon wasn't dismissing Sansa, he was dismissing her constant argument that they didn't have enough people. He was well aware of that. He also knew that this was all they were going to have--"Unless you know something I don't Sansa". 

"Uh no Jon. What could you possibly think I might know that I haven't told you?"

He most certainly was dismissing the little woman and patting her on her head to leave the battle stuff to the menfolk.  Her "constant argument" was dead on and if the Vale had not come they would have all died. Jon reminded me tonight of why I used to call Rob, Jon and Cat Dumb, Dumber and Dumberer respectively. Sansa's real "argument" was that it would not be enough to just show up for battle with 1/3 the quantity and hope to make Ramsey mad. Ramsey was a true sociopath and not a slave to emotions he didn't have. He needed to be outthought.  His own father didn't realize this until it was too late.  Wives are usually the best people for that job.

• Like 1
  • Love 21

North was fine but I really couldn't get too excited about that portion because we've known exactly what was going to happen for the pat nine episodes. Hell, most people even could've told you how the war was going to go and other  then Wun Wun and barely there Rickon, nobody of importance was even lost. I will give the show props for finally removing the yet from Tyrion's "she's not a killer, yet," speech.

Onto Mereen.

Tyrion also knows Jamie's true reason for killing the mad king? What??????????  Dany actually has an advisor that she's actually listening to?

So slavery's ended, Mereen's back up and running, the dragons are free,  you have the necessary transportation, and you have an epic  advisor who knows the ins and outs of kings landing. Can we PLEASE leave Mereen now?

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, islandgal140 said:

First of all - Dany? YAS QUEEN! YAS QUEEN! YAS QUEEN!

What part of 'she has dragons' don't these masters understand? I think she should have killed all 3 and sent a singing telegram! 

There are no words in the english language to describe my thrill over the Stark victory and reclaiming Winterfell from that punk bitch Ramsey Bolton. Every time Jon punched Ramsey smug stupid face, I screamed 'YAS!' like some maniac in my living room.

I wanted Ramsey flayed alive, but being eating alive by his own dogs was nice too! Would have been better if they started at his groin though- kibbles and bits!

Gawd, I feel so bloodthirsty tonight. 

I'm just so glad the bitch is dead! 

Pour a little beer on the floor for poor Rickon. We barely knew ye. 

I felt blood thirsty and heart poundy too Islandgal140. I just wish Ramsay could have suffered more. But at a certain point eye for an eye justice becomes impossible. Too bad we don't have a sadist with a heart of gold on staff who could have broken the Bolton Bastard over months. He was right though. Ramsay lives on in the suffering and trauma of those he hurt. I'm usually not a vengeance girl, and I know Ramsay was Ott but he just did so much evil.

Getting set for the endgame. So nice things are moving.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I loved Yara and Daenerys’ interaction; woman to woman – queen to queen. Yara is up for anything. Ha. I love her.

Yeah, I liked this too.

Sansa warned Jon not to fall for Ramsey's tricks, and he fell right into the trap. I mean it was a heckuva trap, but still. I may be a terrible person, because it was so satisfying to watch Jon beat Ramsey to a pulp.

• Love 14

When Littlefinger's troops showed up, I turned to my cat, Lord Baelish, and said "You saved the day! Lord Baelish saves the day!" :-) Most satisfying episode ever! The three dragons are back!. Yara and Dany join forces! Ramsay fucking Bolton becomes dog food as Sansa disses him! I can't stop smiling! 

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, dramachick said:

Shout out to Lyanna Mormount, who was staring fierce daggers at Ramsey before battle!

Where was she during the battle? I would've thought that she'd be seen back by Davos behind the lines. I hope she's okay. She's awesome.

4 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

North was fine but I really couldn't get too excited about that portion because we've known exactly what was going to happen for the pat nine episodes. Hell, most people even could've told you how the war was going to go and other  then Wun Wun and barely there Rickon, nobody of importance was even lost....

Yes, while I loved the way the battle was filmed and I got chills when the Vale showed up, we all knew how this was going to go. Plus, the contrived way it was set up with Sansa keeping them secret from Jon was just bad writing. Still, the execution of the scene was excellent, so I'll overlook it.

So slavery's ended, Mereen's back up and running, the dragons are free,  you have the necessary transportation, and you have an epic  advisor who knows the ins and outs of kings landing. Can we PLEASE leave Mereen now?

This please. I'm so done with Mereen.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, SimoneS said:

This makes no sense. Sansa had nothing to lose telling Jon about the Vale army possibly coming to help. Yes, there as a risk that he would dismiss her out of hand, but he might have decided to wait awhile longer and see if they showed up. 

Lemuria is right. Sansa should have trusted Jon whatever the outcome. He is her brother, no one in the world loves her unconditionally as he does. Littlefinger is only helping her because he wants to fuck her. Apparently, Sansa learnt the wrong things about the game dealing with Cersei whose machinations are destroying. However, I am cutting Sansa some slack. She has been through hell.

and told him about Littlefinger even if Jon decide not

To who, you me anyone else here?

No it would not matter in the end, as Ramsey smoked Jon to rush to Rickon's aide, to force Jon to engage before he was ready, he broke his own plan.

If he listen to Sansa or stuck to his plan either way, Rickon is dead period! Sansa was correct Rickon sadly had to lay on that field dead and Jon should had stuck to his plan it would had bought him time and maybe less dead.

This is the Stark's version of a Kobayashi Maru.

• Love 6
Just now, Drogo said:

If the men on this show would listen to the women on this show, 96% of problems would be solved already. 

I want to see Theon's face when he gets the news.

Guess Cat is the 4%... Littlefinger will help you Ned!

• Love 10

"And your offer doesn't include any marriage demands?" 

"I don't make demands but I'm up for anything." 

Cracked me up. Dany and Yara played well off of each other and I enjoyed Tyrion snarking about dwarf jokes. I'm a little concerned and that Targaryen crazy too, but glad that this storyline seems like it's finally moving towards Westeros.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, paigow said:

Guess Cat is the 4%... Littlefinger will help you Ned!

Sansa's not Cat, she knows he's a devious MF who's framed her,Tyrion and killed her Aunt.

She does have a ways to go if she wants to defeat him, she needs to get spies of her own.

DAMN❗Oh, Rickon !  Poor wee lad.

Wun-Wun ! :(

Ramsey. The Starks! kicked. yo'. ASS❗ Yay !!

Tread carefully, Sista Sansa. You have been previously hamstrung in part due to arrogance and ignorance. We don't want a 'draw down' betwixt family members. Go Jon❗

• Love 2
(edited)

I cannot believe that I forgot Daario and the Dothraki attacking the Sons of the Harpies. I hope that they hacked them into pieces for killing all those innocent people.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14

True to form, Ramsay the sadist was a coward. He backed off the one on one challenge from Jon, he spent the lives of the Karstark and Umber men so their corpses would form part of his wall, and when the Vale cavalry arrived, he quit the battle and ran along back to Winterfell. Might even have been safe for a bit, but for Wun Wun punching thru the gate. Loved the wildlings overrunning the Bolton garrison.

There were so many great moments...Tormund ripping out Umber's throat with his teeth, Jon almost suffocating under the weight of the dead, Lyanna Mormont as fierce as any commander, and the great overhead shots of the encircling strategy of the Bolton forces...really wonderfully done. As for Jon whirling and slicing thru the enemy while covered in dirt and blood....the man rivals Ragnar Lothbrok.

• Love 22
(edited)

I may have to keep this episode, Dany is not my favorite character but the awesomeness of that scene with the THREE dragons flying about and reigning fire on those ships cannot be overstated. I rewound that part a few times, loved when the other two dragons broke out from under the pyramid.  That being said, once Tyrion took off their chains I wonder what made them stay down there and what made them come out?  Freedom at last and some dracarys action while they were at it. Basically do not mess with the Queen...

Also loved the Yara/Dany conversation, I did feel a bit bad for Theon though when Tyrion was ripping into him, I know Tyrion obviously doesn't know the torture Theon suffered but still. I think they won Danaerys over once she realized that Theon was supporting Yara as queen of the iron born.

I am also on the team that didn't understand why Sansa didn't tell Jon she had sent a ravengram for help? Doesn't mean that LF would definitely show up but at least Jon may have waited a bit.  That being said, Jon was wrong for not listening to Sansa but I can see his POV, he has fought far worse than Ramsey in the WW and he probably thought this would not be on that same level. What he didn't factor in was that fact that Ramsey is a sociopath and he fell right into his trap as Sansa warned him not to do..I knew if was over for them the moment Jon ran to get Rickon. Speaking of Rickon, once Ramsey let him go I knew he was a dead boy running but I still yelled for him to zig zag or at least drop to the ground and roll every time Ramsey let loose an arrow or SOMETHING!! I always kinda hoped Rickon would pop up at the end and reclaim Winterfell but its not to be.

Sadly I didn't feel the great joy at seeing the Stark banner at Winterfell, but I did love Ramsey Bolton's very fitting end after a thorough beat down by Jon Stark. My only wish is that Ramsey's torture didn't last longer like a few days with bits and pieces being cut away..

On another note..*small voice*  I'm very ashamed to say that I am now shipping Jon and Sansa *hangs head in shame*...I will see myself out...don't know how this happened..*end small voice*...it will pass...I hope..

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 13

Dragons! All three of them too! Drogon maybe a hard-headed teenager but he loves his mama :)

I'm highly amused by the fact that we all were smiling when Ramsey's dogs tore him to pieces. I hated the smug, sadistic coward and I was so glad to see him go out that way. And by Sansa's hand too.

Yara has her eye on you Dany. Their interaction was amusing.

Anyone else think Daavos was going to push Melisandre out of her window when he was looking up at her in Winterfell?

I'll miss Wun Wun.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Lemuria said:

Exactly.

• Love 4

I agree with everybody about how awesome tonight was but I feel we do need to give Iwan Rheon a much deserved round of applause for delivering an outstanding performance as Ramsey.

The only thing that was just as satisfying was Dany saying one tiny word: "Dracaris......"

• Love 21

All the shit Ramsey's done over 6 seasons, shooting Rickon in the back, and killing the Giant - never has anyone got exactly what they deserved than that motherfucker!

And yay for sisters out here doing it for themselves.

• Love 17
(edited)

I'm thinking Sansa and Jon will be in some fight but then it will be put to a stop by Arya having managed to travel in two weeks with her gut wound to Winterfell. woo! Or maybe she catches a ride with Dany and Yara. Ooor she meets up with Bran somehow. But I'd rather she just show up at Winterfell, gut wound or no. (Where she can then lament if only Rickon had her fast-healing gut capabilities.)

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Tyrion was annoying me, and I don't even really care about Theon, but come on, bringing up that Theon was a jerk years ago when he was a teenager? Theon was obviously not there to mock Tyrion anymore. I guess Theon could have just said, "sorry, I was an ass" instead of "that was a long time ago" but still, Tyrion struck me as a bit petty.

I get that there is this sudden love for Theon, but he was damn lucky that Tyrion did not advise Daenerys to execute him on the spot. Tyrion was mocking Theon deservedly and he believed that Theon murdered the two younger Stark boys including Bran who Tyrion knew and tried to help by bringing the design for the saddle. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 13
(edited)
9 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I get that there is this sudden love for Theon, but he was damn lucky that Tyrion didn't not advise Daenerys to execute him on the spot. Tyrion was mocking Theon deservedly and he believed that Theon murdered the two younger Stark boys including Bran who Tyrion knew and tried to help by bringing the design for the saddle. 

Oh, I don't care about Theon. Nothing to do with any love of him. You're right, he was lucky, but Tyrion has kinda annoyed me in general since season 4ish? Which is why I erased my post, because I was like, "eh, probably just comes across like that to me because Tyrion annoys me in general."

Edited by ulkis
20 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I'm thinking Sansa and Jon will be in some fight but then it will be put to a stop by Arya having managed to travel in two weeks with her gut wound to Winterfell. woo! Or maybe she catches a ride with Dany and Yara. Ooor she meets up with Bran somehow. But I'd rather she just show up at Winterfell, gut wound or no. (Where she can then lament if only Rickon had her fast-healing gut capabilities.)

Dany, Yara, and Arya arrive in King's Landing on dragons. Oh yeah!

• Love 6

Never have a experienced such a gamut of emotion in one hour, let alone during a movie or tv show, I'm drained yet satisfied! I cried out, I laughed, I cheered, I sobbed, I screamed........... I'm done!

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Timetoread said:

I think Sansa would have told Jon but he kept dismissing her. Jon is a tough fighter but he is no strategist. Sansa on the other hand was held prisoner by Cersei and Tywin, tortured by Joffrey, married to Tyrion, given advice by Varys, Oleana, and Margarey, and lustfully mentored by  Littlefinger.  She is a frankenstein's monster made up of all the parts of the master players she's encountered. Ramsey's abuse proved to be the bolt of electricity that brought the monster to life. I wouldn't sleep on Sansa and Jon would do well to listen to little sister from now on.

I used to believe that until last season when she and Littlefinger were both made into complete idiots to facilitate the shock value rape and rape = empowerment tropes. Now I just see her as a plot device. 

23 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I get that there is this sudden love for Theon, but he was damn lucky that Tyrion did not advise Daenerys to execute him on the spot. Tyrion was mocking Theon deservedly and he believed that Theon murdered the two younger Stark boys including Bran who Tyrion knew and tried to help by bringing the design for the saddle. 

There are certainly plenty of reasons for any ruler to dislike or distrust Theon, but it's just another example of the show pushing Tyrion as some type of witty moral figure when he's actually a pretty awful human being, a complete idiot, and a sanctimonious asshole to boot. This character stopped having anything of value to say or do in season 3. 

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Timetoread said:

Sansa on the other hand was held prisoner by Cersei and Tywin, tortured by Joffrey, married to Tyrion, given advice by Varys, Oleana, and Margarey, and lustfully mentored by  Littlefinger.  

Try as I might, I can't recall a single conversation between Varys and Sansa. 

(edited)

So I'm on the rewatch,

Art Parkinson said pay close attention to him in an interview, all I really see is him either in deep thinking or praying before running, he said feral a couple of times I think.

His death seemed firm but I saw nothing there.

Thoughts on it?

Also Thormund said to himself as we are seeing Jon and Ramsey stare: "DON'T" a clear indication Jon broke his own plan.

Edited by GrailKing
Thormond
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

There are certainly plenty of reasons for any ruler to dislike or distrust Theon, but it's just another example of the show pushing Tyrion as some type of witty moral figure when he's actually a pretty awful human being, a complete idiot, and a sanctimonious asshole to boot. This character stopped having anything of value to say or do in season 3. 

This episode alone disproves that statement.

• Love 14

I could sympathize with Sansa's point until Jon specifically asked her for an alternative battle strategy and her response was I don't know anything about conducting battles. Perfect opening and she played dumb.

Drogon and Dany came down on those ships like Sherman into Atlanta. Loved it!

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Yeah, that's kinda how I feel about it. I don't dislike him that much but imo they just try way too hard with all his dialogue. Even in the previews his line to Dany was just more mumbo-jumbo "doesn't he sound smart" except no, it's more, what are you going on about Tyrion?

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

This episode alone disproves that statement.

If anything I think it just proves how redundant he's become. All of his scenes felt like rehash. Back in season 1 or even season 2, I still cared about Tyrion with his negative qualities and appreciated that he did have some intelligent ideas. 6 seasons in, it's basically rinse and repeat, mostly because the show never wanted to properly delve into him because that would mean their facing the idea that he's more than a long-suffering "good" Lannister with a way in quips. 

If you disagree that's fine, we can agree to disagree.

• Love 1
(edited)
44 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

You should have stopped at the end of the bold. As for your description of Tyrion as "pretty awful human being," I just don't get that one at all. I think that he is an imperfect, but fundamentally a good character, practically a saint compared to the most of the other characters, definitely when compared to his siblings.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Like 1
  • Love 22
(edited)
2 hours ago, Popples said:

DRAGONS! Plural. Drogon was just totally "What did you say about my mummy?!" I really like Dany and Yara together.

I thought Davos was going to die when he went wandering along, but he found the stag he made Shireen.  So I thought he was going to try to kill Melisandre instead. Probably next episode.

The identities of the burning, flayed men? Would they be Roose or Stannis? It's been a while since they were killed, would their bodies have not decayed quickly since it's The North?

Goddammit. It was so fucking obvious Rickon would die right before he reached Jon. Jon's roaring rampage of anger made him impenetrable to arrows, but not suffocation.

Oh, Wun Wun. Rest in peace you magnificent wonder.

Oh yes, good dogs! I'll be honest I looked through my fingers when the first one just chomped on Ramsey's face. I was scared his death wouldn't be satisfying. Ran away and wouldn't fight in the battle like the total bitch Jon called him on.

Two smirks from Lady Sansa; I see you girl!

Where did they keep the Stark banners?

Only one more episode left, sob!

Ramsey being devoured by his own dogs was satisfying but it would have been just a tiny bit more satisfying if one of the big dogs did him 'doggie style' as his face was being eaten off it's foundation. We're gonna miss you Ramsey, you old poop. (Katherine Hepburn voice)

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 1

It just occurred to me that the dog that ate Ramsey's face could have been a Cane Corso and not a Dogo Argentino. I am not good at distinguishing between the breeds, but the dog looked like it was in the Mastiff family.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, cynic said:

When someone is shooting arrows at you, it's probably better to not run in a straight line.

I kept yelling, "Serpentine!  Serpentine!"  I can't remember the title, but it was a movie with Peter Falk where he was a spy and teaching someone how to dodge gunfire.  

• Love 13