Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: Show Promos

• Start Topic

(edited)
28 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Joy is supposed to be from the South, but she pronounces it "pray-leen" not "praw-leen?"

Pray-lean is correct for me as a born and bred Southerner.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 6

Southerner here... I say Pray-Leen and Craw-fish (actually Craw-Dad).

Good show tonight.  Surprised by the outcome but ok with it.  There were a couple I'd rather send home first though.

• Love 5

Yay she's gone!  She was getting on my last nerve with the disappearing accent.  Although Anna should have gone.  But if you really want my opinion Erin should have gone because I can't stand her.  

I was surprised they let her go this soon, but I'm glad they gave her the boot now. That spiel about how they should do things her way because "She's done this before" seemed straight out of a comedy. I had no interest in her when she was on the first time. I liked her less this time around. 

Is Monterey going to cry in every episode?

• Love 5

This is perhaps the most lackluster crew I have seen and I have watched every season.  I like Jernard and Joy shows promise.

I can't stand Ana, Erin, Monterey and Rob.  The others fall somewhere in between.

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought Martita would make it far, so that was surprising. Wonder how long Ana is going to last.

I like Tregaye, but I wish she wasn't so over-the-top. Her interview self is more natural compared to her show personsa.

Edited by Chrissytd
  • Love 3

That was a big surprise.  I think they just decided they'd given Martita enough chances.  She's pretty but boring and has an annoyingly high opinion of herself.  I wasn't sorry to see her go although I would have liked to see Ana go first.  I hope Tregaye doesn't last much longer.  She's so OTT hyper and loud that she makes me nuts.

• Love 5

Actually as much as I don't think Martita should win this, I think Tregaye should have been the one to go.  Clearly Martita hasn't been as bad as Ana or Tregaye so far, so this looks rigged to me.  I think it was strange that Bobby said out of one side of his mouth that he thought Martita was better now than the first time she was on the show, but then they send her home.  WTF?  What that says I can't even begin to figure out.  It makes me think that "Comeback Kitchen" was really the ruse and ratings fodder I thought it was all along.  She supposedly killed it in Comeback Kitchen then on the 3rd episode here is already going home against some pretty mediocre competition?  Yeah, not getting it.  This smells really rigged to me.

Another annoying aspect is that they didn't show everyone's dish being tasted in the first challenge.  Is that a new thing?  I can't even remember.  Whatever, I don't like it.  Plus what's up with pairing them up?  This seems to be a new trend.  Not liking that either.

• Love 9

"You. . . are. . . not. . . good. . . with time." Giada at her sharkiest.

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Monterey is working my last good nerve.

I think she's cute. Unfortunately she thinks she's too cute. But I think she's going to stick around because the producers like her talking heads.

I'm bored and don't find any of these contestants interesting. I probably like Yaku's food the most, but he's not great on camera. 

"Hot or Not?" goes to Damiano? I'm sure that was a coincidence. 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, NYGirl said:

Yay she's gone!  She was getting on my last nerve with the disappearing accent.  Although Anna should have gone.  But if you really want my opinion Erin should have gone because I can't stand her.  

I kind of thought itd be Anna as well,seeing as how it seemed like she was giving Bobby and Giada lip..

Getting the feeling this may not be the last we see of Martita,Cooking Channel may wind up giving her her own show anyway similar to Kelsey Nixon and Jeffrey Saad(sp) even though they were FNS runner-ups

Edited by TDT
(edited)
3 hours ago, NewDigs said:

I thought pray-lean was the southern pronunciation.

MN (really old) girl now decades southern. 

Nope, praw-leen is the Southern pronunciation. I'm originally from Louisiana. When I was in graduate school in VT a few years ago, I brought this up in linguistics class. The girl from Alabama and I both said definitely praw-leen! :-)

2 hours ago, smiley13 said:

Pray-lean is correct for me as a born and bred Southerner.

Where in the South? Just curious. I hope you don't say "pee-can"!

See this: http://www.chowhound.com/post/pronounce-praline-815081?page=3

Interesting.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 1

I always love how the cheftestants always know the guest judges.

Did Giada have ribs removed to enhance her waistline?

"Don't put things that you can't eat on the plate." So you never put parsley on your plates, Bobby?

I loved Rob's reaction when he was paired up with Monterey.

Martita says she's done this before all the freaking time.  Yeah, and you were kicked off. Et voila, she's gone.

I love Erin keeps complaining about how Damiano's dish wouldn't have been made on a camping trip and yet she's using a blender for hers.

• Love 2

I think Martita went because she had nothing good from the episode.  Her dish was not chosen in the first challenge, her promo sucked, her food was not cooked properly.  At least Ana's food was good even without the sauce.  Her days are numbered though.  Was it Erin who was with Mr. Italiano?  She kept thinking he was going to make them lose. HA!  Girl should have known that he will go far.  Giada has a crush on him.

• Love 6

I am really put off by exposed armpits in the kitchen.  Enough on that subject.

Food Network bugs in the lower right screen keep getting bigger and more distracting.  Tonight they covered up the visual pun text of the individual assignments (Better Off Bread).

Tregaye - quit pointing at me.

Buh-bye, Martita!  Others did worse this week, but your constant air of "I got this" gave me a great sense of schadenfreude when you got your walking papers.  We have plenty of time to get rid of the others (I'm looking at you - Tregaye, Erin and Ana).

The actual food in this ep was too contrived to make me want to taste it.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

I love Erin keeps complaining about how Damiano's dish wouldn't have been made on a camping trip and yet she's using a blender for hers.

You couldn't make her dessert camping but, other than the overly involved plating, you sure as heck could make it in advance and bring it camping.  And the ingredients she used were thematically appropriate.  Gnocci just baffled me.  I guess technically you could make almost anything camping with the right equipment but I couldn't help but feel he was BSing them a bit.

But maybe I am residually pissed off at what I perceived as Damiano's utter snobbery in this episode with his "I am a pastry chef and Erin is...a baker" or his "It's Chantilly...that's what it is called in France" when Erin said she'd go grab whipped cream. Talk about a distinction without much of a difference.

• Love 13
(edited)

I was surprised to see Martita eliminated, I didn't think she would win, but I thought she would stick around longer just because she won Star Salvation Comeback Kitchen. Maybe this was Giada's payback for Dom not winning.

Tregaye needs to go. Now. I can't stand her & her schtick, it's incredibly annoying.

14 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

"Don't put things that you can't eat on the plate." So you never put parsley on your plates, Bobby?

Parsley is completely edible, in fact, it's good for digestion.

Edited by GaT
Because I can't tell the difference between the show before the show, & the show after the show.
  • Love 3

That was a surprise but I'm happy.  I think I would have liked Martita a lot more if she spoke in the voice she used for her exit dubs....calm and less affected.  Plus she clearly wasn't going to win so why keep her there over other first timers?  I say good call.

Monterey reminds me of a petulant child...easily overwhelmed and brought to tears.  Watching her is making me uncomfortable.  She seems on the verge.

has anyone coached Damiano to slow down and enunciate his first and last name?  I can barely understand him and if I didn't know his first name I still would not know it.

the lunch lady may win...very natural.

Ana...oh Ana.  She a good counterpoint on TV.  RBF is kinda strong and she clearly hates "schtick."  But she is true to her beliefs so that's something.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

I am really put off by exposed armpits in the kitchen.  Enough on that subject.

Food Network bugs in the lower right screen keep getting bigger and more distracting.  Tonight they covered up the visual pun text of the individual assignments (Better Off Bread).

Tregaye - quit pointing at me.

Buh-bye, Martita!  Others did worse this week, but your constant air of "I got this" gave me a great sense of schadenfreude when you got your walking papers.  We have plenty of time to get rid of the others (I'm looking at you - Tregaye, Erin and Ana).

The actual food in this ep was too contrived to make me want to taste it.

The food net wood logo and airing times completely obstructed the screen the entire time when they did the pairings.  That was so odd right???

oh and the "professional" pics were So Bad.  They could have done better with a cellphone.  What was up with that???

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

oh and the "professional" pics were So Bad.  They could have done better with a cellphone.  What was up with that???

You just gave them a new show idea: Food Network Star Photographer!

• Love 3
(edited)

I've never seen any of the Real Housewives franchises, so I have no pre-conceived notions about Ana.  She looks like she was rode hard and put away wet, and can be awkward on camera, but her food has been consistently good.  

Thank god Martita is gone... Giada's toothy squeal of "Mar-TEEEEEE-tah" was working my last nerve.  Hopefully she'll meet the same fate on Star Salvation.  

Tregaye needs to stop trying to make "Whimsical" happen.  And she should have been eliminated just based on her team pair-ups for the challenge.  Most of the teams did quite well.  So much for strategy.

Edited by Albino
  • Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, TDT said:

Getting the feeling this may not be the last we see of Martita,Cooking Channel may wind up giving her her own show anyway similar to Kelsey Nixon and Jeffrey Saad(sp) even though they were FNS runner-ups

I doubt it, because what struck me tonight is that she just isn't that good a cook. Mexican food can be as sophisticated and elegant as any cuisine (think of Rick Bayless), but what Martitia makes seems to be slightly elevated Taco Bell. I'm sure that bugged Bobby, who knows what kind of flavors you can bring with chiles and other Mexican/southwestern ingredients.

She came in with a big ego off her Comeback Kitchen win, so she wasn't even that likeable anymore. She tried to paint Ana as difficult, but in their promo she was the one who would've give her partner a chance to talk. It was all about Marteeeta. And of course she had to say "chica" and "abuela" and do her little hot tamale shimmy. Ana had the good sense to look embarrassed. (And while Ana got dinged for her excuses to the judges, at least she didn't say she ran out of time because she had to fix the drink.)

I really expected Tregaye to go home. Her on-camera personality bounces from boring to over-the-top, with nothing in the middle. And she says "whimsical" as often as Aaron said "bacon." Plus, I'm getting tired of her snarky talking heads, when it's not as if she's killing it herself).

Did you know that Joy has five kids? And Jennard nine?

I cringed when Erin said that she and Damiano made good desert babies together.

Damiano is definitely full of himself. For me his arrogance offsets whatever appeal his looks and accents are supposed to have.

Monterey is leading a charmed life. I didn't think that promo was anything special. The actress guest judge said she knew exactly who Rob was. I grew up in New York around guys like that too, and I always found them obnoxious, so I would have no interest in watching his show. He's this year's obligatory big sloppy dude bro. Every year they have one, in the hope of maybe finding another Guy Fieri.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 8

I don't like Ana because she looks so miserable all the time. Why are you on this show if you act like you don't want to be there? And I agree that Monterey is on the verge of a meltdown, she can't take much more pressure.

• Love 6

Ana does look rode hard and put away wet plus miserable.  I can't see how she was chosen to be anything but filler here, despite the fact that she can cook.  Monterey is cute but annoying.  If I had to pick one person out of this sorry group it would be Rob because at least he seems comfortable in his own skin, unlike so many of the others.  Plus he's funny.

The thing about Martita is that she did seem to get an even bigger head after winning "Comeback Kitchen", but I have to sympathize a little bit.  What a lot of set up only to be followed up by a sudden take down.  It almost felt cruel or like they were just waiting for their moment to sack her from the minute the competition started.  I say that and I didn't even like her.  It's clear that Valerie and Tyler's opinions didn't mesh with Bobby's and LBH's concerning Martita, so I'd wonder if anyone else on "Comeback Kitchen" would have had a better chance of being successful with them or whether the entire show is doomed from the start.

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Nope, praw-leen is the Southern pronunciation. I'm originally from Louisiana. When I was in graduate school in VT a few years ago, I brought this up in linguistics class. The girl from Alabama and I both said definitely praw-leen! :-)

Where in the South? Just curious. I hope you don't say "pee-can"!

See this: http://www.chowhound.com/post/pronounce-praline-815081?page=3

Interesting.

Further Southeast,  and yes, of course, it is pea-can for me.

Edited by smiley13
  • Love 3
(edited)

Not to beat a dead horse, but the raw sprig of parsley on one's dinner plate will, if consumed, help freshen one's breath. That's why it's there, and not, say,  a daisy.

I posted after the "Return" episode that I was done already with Martita. Glad the judges caught up with me. (To be fair, I'm done with Damiano's act, too.)

I'm on Team Lunch Lady; his "Road Trip" camera work was natural and well-done. I think the finale will be him (Rob) and Joy.

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I don't like Ana because she looks so miserable all the time. Why are you on this show if you act like you don't want to be there? And I agree that Monterey is on the verge of a meltdown, she can't take much more pressure.

She almost seemed upset that the Lunch Lady jumped on the potato chips, and she got stuck with the taffy.

The cookies didn't work out -- I think she shouldn't have insisted on putting potato chips in the cookies....it sounds like a good idea, but if you haven't made cookies in years, I think you try to make a simple and tasty cookie....or at least a cookie.  She could have put the potato chips into the ice cream for the salty sweet if she really wanted to use both the taffy and the chips.  I kind of like Monterey, but I always root for an underdog.

Something seems off about Jennard, IMO.  I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something....off

I thought Tregaye was going home.  Even when they were discussing Yaku, they started talking about how terrible Tregaye was.  I think it was like "well Yaku had the best food...but you know what my problem with Tregaye is, I have no idea what whimsical food is!"

I think Ana is just working all the reality TV villain tricks to stay on the show.  Unfortunately, she seems to be around a bunch of rank amateurs so they aren't letting her amp up the drama as much as she'd like.  And, her nemises (?) keep getting sent home....Melissa/Martita....I don't know who she is going to beef with next?  Maybe Tregaye....THAT would be interesting.  Whimsical vs. Housewife.

• Love 5

Rob is way too stereotypical New Yorker for me.  And his choice of on air attire leaves a lot to be desired,  There has been a lot of discussion in the past when a character looks sloppy and he is this year's sloppy guy,

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, smiley13 said:

Rob is way too stereotypical New Yorker for me.  And his choice of on air attire leaves a lot to be desired,  There has been a lot of discussion in the past when a character looks sloppy and he is this year's sloppy guy,

He's this years Guy Fiettiiiiii, New York edition.  His hair will get spikier, blonder and a pair of sunglasses will appear straddled on the back of his neck.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

But maybe I am residually pissed off at what I perceived as Damiano's utter snobbery in this episode with his "I am a pastry chef and Erin is...a baker" or his "It's Chantilly...that's what it is called in France" when Erin said she'd go grab whipped cream. Talk about a distinction without much of a difference.

Yes, and I doubt he has ever been camping; he just wanted to show off his skill at making  gnocchi.  Erin's dessert was not a camping item either.  Their presentation was hysterical!  Did anyone think this was a logical couple headed into the great outdoors.   I don't like either of them. 

I think they have their eye on Ron to host a show a la Fierri visiting restaurants or food trucks.  

Hindsight tells me that Giada's words to Martita, "you are well rehearsed" was not a compliment.  Kudos to the editors for giving us this surprise!  Well done.  

• Love 5

Not upset Martita went home but I was hoping Ana was the one going.  Did she, at one point, say if you want things done in a timed manner she's not their person?   Or something to that effect.  If that's the case that should have sent her home.  Plus she just seems like a miserable person to work with. 

There are so many people this episode that are just not worth watching a show.  I'm still trying to find the part that of Damiano that make you melts, watch anything he does and says. It must be me because I don't find him all that.   He was annoying on the Spring Baking Shows/Holiday Baking Shows with Duff.

• Love 5

Agree that Martita being eliminated this week was a semi-surprise.  Then again ... she didn't show much versatility in her food or her schtick and her "been there, done that" entitled attitude didn't resonate well.  IMO, she was eliminated because this was already her second chance and the others (Ana, Tregaye) weren't totally horrible and this is their first time on the show.

• Love 3

Surprised that Martita was sent home, but not sorry.  Between her sometimes there/sometimes not accent and her limited repertoire of dishes, I was done with her.  I'm wondering if Ana is one of those contestants who will suddenly get it together; she's shown she can cook.  There is a Penni-ish quality about her, though, and that's not a plus.  I can barely understand Damiano and Tregaye embarrassed herself to the point I almost had to look away.  Yaku may be the best cook there, but his beard might need its own show.

• Love 5

There are more people that I dislike more than like. I'm trying to like Erin, but she seems like a caricature, especially in the talking heads where she is wearing that bow. 

I was a little surprised to see Martita leave so early, but when everyone started commenting about how repetitive her dishes were, I figured she was at least in the bottom. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, DallasGypsy said:

Agree that Martita being eliminated this week was a semi-surprise.  Then again ... she didn't show much versatility in her food or her schtick and her "been there, done that" entitled attitude didn't resonate well.  IMO, she was eliminated because this was already her second chance and the others (Ana, Tregaye) weren't totally horrible and this is their first time on the show.

I was surprised Martita was booted and then I realized it makes sense.  There are others I like less than her and would have been happier to see go but Martita has had her first season, Comeback Kitchen and now this show to hone her skills.  She needed to be someone who looked like an obvious finalist to survive over people who might need a few more weeks to grow.

• Love 3

Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine too from these shows. If the contestant served you a T-bone steak would the judges think they had to eat the bone?

• Love 1