Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm watching the reruns on HGTV this morning.    I just watched the mid-century modern (mcm), Cliff May house, from last season I think.    I was appalled at the staging, that was just generic flipper staging that fit in any house they do on this show.     I didn't see any MCM in the finishes, or design.    The cement look tiles in the kitchen back splash were not MCM or anything resembling that.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I like what they did with the house on last night’s episode except:

1.  Why would the stagers place the back of the sofa in front of the fake fireplace?  You couldn’t even see the fireplace when you entered the home/room nor would anyone see it while sitting anywhere in the room.

2.  I hated the floor tiles that were chosen for both bathrooms.  I realize, and accept, that people love this overall look now days but those patterns remind me of 1970s kitchen linoleum.  Yuck.

3.  I don’t think they should have left that wooden porch area (or whatever they called it) attached to the front of the house.  It did look better painted black but I thought it took away from the overall charm of the curb appeal and can you imagine how HOT it would be to either step or sit on it in the sun?

4.  Why did they leave the house with what looked to me like two different kinds of green roof shingles?

I was shocked at how much profit they received from this sale…..if the sale actually went through.  I understand the housing market is crazy in CA (as it is all over most of our country) but I was flabbergasted.  Good for Tarek and Christina.  

• Love 3

I agree about the house.   I think they use different stagers than the two companies they used for a long time, and I don't think they use the one with the twin sisters the way they used to.   So the staging doesn't seem to make sense, or fit the house size, and theme.   

Putting the sofa in front of the fireplace was bizarre.  No matter how much I watch this show, the number of offers, and the amount over the asking price still surprises me.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

For once I really liked what they did with the Santa Ana house, looked great.  Also liked that for once the house was in pretty good shape to begin with, instead of the usual 'Everything is destroyed and half the rooms aren't legally permitted' storyline.

• Love 2
(edited)

Tarek  and Christina both signed a big deal with HGTV, to continue Flip or Flop, Christina's show, and Tarek's Flipping 101 through at least 2023.  

As of this afternoon, F or F is ending with the new episode next Thursday.     However, Flipping 101 will continue, and so will Christina's show.  

I did like the house they redid last night.    The stagers did a great job this time too.  

I agree, they should have painted the cabinets blue, if that's the color they wanted.    However, I bet they were laminate outside cabinets, and not able to be painted.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

West Covina (is the best Covina) house. They couldn't get the blue cabinets they wanted so they used white. Why couldn't they just paint the cabinets blue? Is there some law against painting cabinets that I don't know about? I've seen them do it on other shows but never on this one. 

There were several improvements they did which were never addressed, though they might have been part of Jeff's original estimate. They added central air for one - you could see the unit behind the house at the reveal. Which means they must have replaced the electrical box too - they showed Jeff inspecting it during the walkthrough and it was an ancient one. They also replaced those windows near the ceiling with clear ones. I imagine they replaced all the other windows too. 

$820K for that cracker box. Yikes. Sometimes I'm glad I live in flyover country.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

$820K for that cracker box. Yikes.

It boggles the mind, $820.00 for 1,150 Sq. Ft.

I will say though they did a great job of freshening up one of the most moribund looking house frontages I've seen. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, iMonrey said:

West Covina (is the best Covina) house. They couldn't get the blue cabinets they wanted so they used white. Why couldn't they just paint the cabinets blue? Is there some law against painting cabinets that I don't know about? I've seen them do it on other shows but never on this one. 

There were several improvements they did which were never addressed, though they might have been part of Jeff's original estimate. They added central air for one - you could see the unit behind the house at the reveal. Which means they must have replaced the electrical box too - they showed Jeff inspecting it during the walkthrough and it was an ancient one. They also replaced those windows near the ceiling with clear ones. I imagine they replaced all the other windows too. 

$820K for that cracker box. Yikes. Sometimes I'm glad I live in flyover country.

I did think it was odd that didn’t just paint the cabinets blue if that’s what they wanted. That said, it could have been a plot point and they were never going to go with blue. In the end, it turned out nice but I didn’t care for the raised levels of the tile. Simple white subway tile would have sufficed and probably would have been cheaper. The back yard did look better. They always seem to get rid of any porch/deck coverage. I think they just like the ascetic of green grass for television and makes it look bigger. Of course, the money is outrageous in California no matter the size or condition. 

• Love 3

Those white cabinets looked like the cabinets in my apartment, which are covered in laminate, which would be tough to paint.  I wonder if the blue was laminate too?  I didn’t love that backsplash, it was pretty, but it looked like it would be hard to keep clean with all those nooks and crannies.

• Love 3

Christina strikes again with her design knowledge.  In back to back episodes, she presented the blue kitchen cabinets as "sooooo vintage" and then "soooo MCM".  I'm pretty sure that a house built in 1923 and a house built in 1953 have vastly different aesthetics.  I also don't think nautical blue is a vintage or MCM classic kitchen color.  You know Miss Christina - one size fits all, you just call it something different!

I would have thought if you were going the colored cabinet route in the Santa Ana house, a lovely sage green would have been perfect.  I would have very much preferred to have seen what Erin from Home Town would have done to that beautiful home.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 3/8/2022 at 2:43 PM, Kiki620 said:

Christina strikes again with her design knowledge.  In back to back episodes, she presented the blue kitchen cabinets as "sooooo vintage" and then "soooo MCM".  I'm pretty sure that a house built in 1923 and a house built in 1953 have vastly different aesthetics.  I also don't think nautical blue is a vintage or MCM classic kitchen color.  You know Miss Christina - one size fits all, you just call it something different!

I would have thought if you were going the colored cabinet route in the Santa Ana house, a lovely sage green would have been perfect.  I would have very much preferred to have seen what Erin from Home Town would have done to that beautiful home.

I agree.   With MCM if you can't get a cabinet to paint, then go for a plain front in a light wood.    

https://people.com/home/tarek-el-moussa-christina-haack-announce-end-of-flip-or-flip/

I'm wondering if T & C are dissolving the business too?  Tarek and Chrristina's business was design and construction, and Pete de Best was a partner.   I'm wondering if Tarek's we buy anything house business replaced his part of the business, which he will keep flipping, and it ended the partnership?    I think Christina's doing her own flips too, but there are fewer of them, and more expensive houses.   I think the T & C business stopped a couple of years ago, with Tarek finding the TV flip houses, and they were just using them for the filming.   

(I am totally on Tarek's side in the last fight they had on set, and can see why he was so upset with her).   Christina is barely on the show at all.    I wouldn't be surprised if Tarek added another flipping show with other partners eventually.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

When we moved to Baton Rouge, LA in 1981 we initially rented a house for a year while we got to know the area. Our rental house, which was built in 1977, had navy blue kitchen cabinets. Since that was 45 years ago... so, maybe navy blue cabinets are sorta "vintage"? LOL! 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'd say a midcentury modern kitchen has either white or oak cabinets, not blue. But it's more about the flat panel look. Btw, the very first built-in kitchen (designed by Margarete Schütte-Lihotzky, a member of Bauhaus) had teal cabinets and oak countertops.

• Love 2
On 2/25/2022 at 12:21 AM, answerphone said:

I love to watch Christina and Tarek’s back and forth banter, verbal jabs & snark. 

I think Heather is boring on the show. 

I agree but I do wonder if Heather has ideas of inserting herself?  I hope not!

• Love 2

It's the end of an era. Next week's new ep of Flip or Flop will be the SERIES finale. I figured that Tarek and Christina were done working with each other after they had that big blow-up on set last year. Makes me kind of sad as I don't enjoy either of their solo shows as much as this one, but I get it. I wouldn't want to work with my ex either.

HGTV Post

Christina Post

Tarek Post

Edited by BrainyBlonde
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Yeah, the last fight is what broke the camels back. Of course, they’ve had their own projects but they don’t want to be in each other’s orbit if they don’t want to. It’s bad if they have to drop the kids off and see each other. They’ve moved to other people so why pretend. That said, I thought next year would be the end & not this rather abrupt season ended. They were good tv. I never watched Christina’s show so I doubt I will start. I saw some of Tarek’s 101 but I doubt I’ll watch whatever new he puts on especially if it involves the new wife. The little I saw of her earlier was enough for me. 

Also, I think it’s hysterical that both Tarek and Christina don’t mention each other in their finale tweets. It’s like they each did the show but were separate host and had never met. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 9
48 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

That said, I thought next year would be the end & not this rather abrupt season ended.

They must seriously not like each other to give up on Flip or Flop.  I think they're going to be surprised. F&F had a vibe with Izzy, Jeff, and Pete.  Neither of their solo shows has that same feel.  I think they're giving away a lot of money, and they both have expensive tastes. F&F is what kept both of them relevant.  We'll see what happens when it's not there.

• Useful 3
  • Love 8

I was shocked when I read Christinas notice of the show ending!

Didn't they just announce they were renewed for another season!

What was the fight last season all about?

They're giving up a whole lot of money!

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I was shocked when I read Christinas notice of the show ending!

Didn't they just announce they were renewed for another season!

What was the fight last season all about?

They're giving up a whole lot of money!

Spoiler

The fight was when Tarek heard that before dating the new guy, now fiance and husband #3, Christina was nervous.   So, she admitted that she smoked (or however you use it) toad venom, which is very illegal.  I don't blame him for that, I'm sure there are others watching the kids, but was she driving?    He found out, and the on set screaming match happened. 

Yes, I did read they were renewed for Flipping 101, Christina's show, and more Flip or Flop, but that changed very quickly.    I think the announcement of the contract signing only came out last week, and then today the other announcement.   

I would like a flipping show where Tarek teams with another flipper that's a beginner, on a flip, or several flips they do together, like he teamed with Robert on the hoarder house.    That's in addition to Flip 101.     

I'm sure that F or F will be rerun constantly on HGTV, and eventually also get rerun on some of the other channels that Discovery/HGTV own, like FYI.  

The new one, "Red Hot Flip" in Covina, is interesting.    I hate the green exterior color.  I wonder who did the staging, it looks so generic.   The bathroom shower tile is so dark, it will show all of the water and soap spots.   I do like the kitchen cabinets, and back splash.  11 offers, sold at $66k over asking.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5

Without new episodes, I think the F&F repeats will start to phase out.  HGTV is going to want to promote new shows.  They are walking away from a lot of money.  I'll definitely give whatever show Tarek comes up with a try, but I'm not a Christina fan.

• Love 8

What happened to all of the Flip or Flop city spin offs? Vegas, Atlanta, Palm Springs. 

I'll watch Flipping 101 only because there are some horrible flippers so it is entertaining. Christina's show was horrible so I'm surprised that is coming back. It's been off for awhile too.

• Love 5
48 minutes ago, Frost said:

I think the F&F repeats will start to phase out.  HGTV is going to want to promote new shows

I completely agree with this, and I don't think that's what they fully understand.  HGTV is very duo-oriented: Ben and Erin, Jonathan and Drew, Egypt and Mike (one of my new faves), Brian and Mika, etc. etc. In fact, I think Tarek and Christina had a lot to do with that concept, even after their divorce.  Tarek or Tarek and Heather is not the same as Tarek and Christina. I think that their solo shows have been propped up by the fact that they continued to do F&F.  No matter the reason, if the fact that F&F is ending is because they can't stand each other, I think they're about to see how much that's going to cost them. I also think that viewers had accepted that they had divorced and moved on. From a viewer standpoint, F&F in its current state seemed to be accepted and liked as much as when they were a couple.

Wonder how Izzie and Jeff feel about this turn of events?

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Ohmo said:

They must seriously not like each other to give up on Flip or Flop.  I think they're going to be surprised. F&F had a vibe with Izzy, Jeff, and Pete.  Neither of their solo shows has that same feel.  I think they're giving away a lot of money, and they both have expensive tastes. F&F is what kept both of them relevant.  We'll see what happens when it's not there.

Do we know if the series finale is the episode they were filming when they had the blow up on set? I’ve been trying to figure out which episode this season is connected to the fight.

• Love 1

I know the designs were usually fairly basic, but does anyone know if the quality of their flips was good?  From what I've seen on TV, the quality looks good, but have buyers come out with horror stories about short cuts or sloppy workmanship?   I've always liked Izzy and Jeff so I hope the flips have a good reputation.

• Love 4

It’s funny because once Chip and Joanna Gaines left HGTV I never followed them. That would be the same with Tarek & Christina. I’m an easy HGTV watcher which I think HGTV is happy about. LOL!!! I watched The Property Brothers for a while until they started to bug me with their humor. I never thought they were funny as much as they thought they were . I liked shows liked Sabrina Soto shows like Get It Sold and the High/Low project. I think Trading Spaces 1.0 started me out on flip shows that were simple. I don’t know who the next BIG host or pairs for HGTV is going to be but I’m sure they’ll show up. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Frost said:

I know the designs were usually fairly basic, but does anyone know if the quality of their flips was good?  From what I've seen on TV, the quality looks good, but have buyers come out with horror stories about short cuts or sloppy workmanship?   I've always liked Izzy and Jeff so I hope the flips have a good reputation.

They actually were working on projects for months, and up to 10 flips at a time, so I can imagine that there are a lot of project managers, so I'm sure somethings were rushed for filming, and then had to be corrected later.  

I think in the early years, they might have not made much money, because they over-improved for the area.   Some of the neighborhoods look kind of sketchy too, but not as bad as some on Flipping 101 are. 

Tarek is still flipping, whether it's on TV or not, and that part of his "Tarek buys houses" business will continue.       I've seen some online reviews, and people do say the work they saw looked good.  Izzy and his family have their own business, and look like they do higher end homes, and Tarek hired Izzy for his expensive beach house, so we all know his work is good.  

Apparently in 2019, Tarek started his own Tarek Buys Houses, and Construction firm, and the little I could find out, the T & C business closed at least by 2019.  

On the Covina house, I hated the exterior color.   The inside was boring, and generic.   

However, another flip show (The Deed Chicago), the host who flips and builds for a living, said on a home remodel you go for classic finishes and decorating.  On a flip you go for trendy, current, and what's hot, because that sells to buyers of flip houses.  I think he would know, and it's another reason why I don't look at flip houses when I'm house shopping. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I liked the blue cabinets.  I grew up in a MCM house and it was built with natural color birch cabinets and beige Formica countertops.  At the time many kitchens had the metal cabinets which were mainly white but also came in colors including pink.  I think the main thing for MCM cabinets is flat fronts on doors and drawers, then I think natural wood is the primo look but using a solid color fits the spirit of the style.  
I’m sorry the show is ending but I need to rewatch the last season I guess.  I apparently missed the big fight lol. 
I’ll mis T and C but I would watch a similar show where Jeff and Israel worked together, I always liked both of them.  

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Frost said:

Without new episodes, I think the F&F repeats will start to phase out.  HGTV is going to want to promote new shows.  They are walking away from a lot of money.  I'll definitely give whatever show Tarek comes up with a try, but I'm not a Christina fan.

I don’t care for Christina alone. She and Tarik are a good combination!

• Love 4

The new one, "Red Hot Flip" in Covina, is interesting.    I hate the green exterior color.

I hated the color too. Ick. Wasn't crazy about all the grey in the interior either.

One thing that always bugs me is they never find out if a wall is load bearing until after they buy the house. So it ALWAYS turns out to be a unexpected/surprise addition to their budget. Which seems . . . unlikely. I think during the initial inspection any reputable contractor can tell you whether or not a wall is load bearing. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I like T&C, and Tarek 101 but Christina's solo show is super boring. I liked both Jeff & Izzy too. I'm surprised F or F is abruptly ending but OTOH recently when watching, I wonder if I have already seen this episode. The episodes are so formulaic and similar,  they are running together for me. I would watch Tarek in future shows, but not Christina.

• Love 2

I liked the green exterior.  I wonder if the decision to cancel is an inventory issue?  During the episode, Tarek said the inventory is really low, and they're having to go further and further out.  Jeff also said his material and labor costs are high.

Maybe it's getting more difficult to find a full season of houses?

I realize they both could be acting for the camera, but they seem to be in a decent place working together.  They've shown worse on camera.

• Love 3

I'm really sorry to read that the show is ending. I enjoy T & C even with there verbal banter but I will miss Izzy and a little less so Jeff, more.

Edited by PTracy
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I hated the color too. Ick. Wasn't crazy about all the grey in the interior either.

One thing that always bugs me is they never find out if a wall is load bearing until after they buy the house. So it ALWAYS turns out to be a unexpected/surprise addition to their budget. Which seems . . . unlikely. I think during the initial inspection any reputable contractor can tell you whether or not a wall is load bearing. 

I'm sure they know. That's scripted for the drama. Like not noticing that the roof, wiring, pipes are bad. Or not deciding what to do with the lawn and yard until the last minute.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

F or F was the only link outside of the kids linking T and C together, so it was past time.   Their joint business is gone for at least three years, they both have their own shows, and it was past time for them to end this show.     It was obvious to me that Christina's contribution was really just standing next to choices the design staff picked, and she only showed up for a minimal amount of filming.     Since T & C were almost always filmed alone, except for the initial walk through, I'm wondering if she actually did anything at all, except the few scenes we saw.    I bet there are designers with Tarek's company who pull the samples, and then Christina just does the scene.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

F or F was the only link outside of the kids linking T and C together, so it was past time.   Their joint business is gone for at least three years, they both have their own shows, and it was past time for them to end this show.     It was obvious to me that Christina's contribution was really just standing next to choices the design staff picked, and she only showed up for a minimal amount of filming.     

True. Tarek did the heavy lifting for this show. Christina’s part of the show consisted on showing up with cabinets, counter and flooring samples. Along, with making faces and screaming a lot. Oddly enough, I still enjoyed the show but their whole non relationship was a huge factor why the show (sort of) ended abruptly ended. They each have their own shows but I don’t think they be as popular or run as long as their OG show. Now, if Christina can swing a home line at Target I’ll be impressed. LOL!!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ByaNose said:

True. Tarek did the heavy lifting for this show. Christina’s part of the show consisted on showing up with cabinets, counter and flooring samples. Along, with making faces and screaming a lot. Oddly enough, I still enjoyed the show but their whole non relationship was a huge factor why the show (sort of) ended abruptly ended. They each have their own shows but I don’t think they be as popular or run as long as their OG show. Now, if Christina can swing a home line at Target I’ll be impressed. LOL!!!!

I’m curious. How much would a home  line at Target net Christina?

Pioneer woman swooped in on Walmart. Is she pulling it in to?

Edited by Jeanne222
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

I’m curious. How much would a home  line at Target net Christina?

Pioneer woman swooped in on Walmart. Is she pulling it in to?

I remember when Nate Berkus had a line at Target. This was before they had their own line, Studio McGee and Joanna Gaines. Anyway, it was there a few years and then poof gone! I always wonder if the line just didn’t make money and it wasn’t renewed or was it just set for a certain amount of time. I would guess as long as someone is willing to pay they’ll produce the merchandise. As for, Christina, I’m sure she would get a lot of $$$$$ but I would think Target (or any store) would have to think shoppers would want to buy from a certain personality or designer. Who knows?

Edited by ByaNose
  • Useful 2

I must be losing my mind.  I just read F or F was being renewed along with Christina on the Coast and a solo Tarek show.  I think I read it within the last ten days.  What?  Now, I’m sad!  

• Love 4

Yes, I linked the announcement that F or F, Christina's show, Tarek's Flipping 101 were all renewed through 2023, then a few days later came the F or F ending announcement.   It was totally a turn around in the announcements, and the end of F or F.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, I linked the announcement that F or F, Christina's show, Tarek's Flipping 101 were all renewed through 2023, then a few days later came the F or F ending announcement.   It was totally a turn around in the announcements, and the end of F or F.   

That was really strange how fast the turnaround. Something happened!  Bet on it!

• Love 3

I've seen the final episode (via Discovery+). Proceed ahead for spoilers.

Spoiler

Keeping in mind that there may be TV drama involved, Christina made the choice to leave.  Tarek seemed surprised to me.

The last scene after the usual house stuff was Tarek, Heather, Christina, and Josh meeting at the last flip house.  Joshand Heather stayed in their cars, while Tarek and Christina talked. She said she wanted to focus on design, and she wasn't able to be around for the flips as much as he needed her to be.

She said it was time, and he agreed, but I completely think he was surprised.  If she wanted to keep going, I think he would have been fine with continuing.

She has massively expensive tastes and was making large amounts of money on the flips.  I doubt her design skills are going to be able to replace that, and I think her TV money is going to dwindle.  Her solo show is not that terrific.

• Love 11

I think the expensive roster of houses Christina owns are her own redesign flips.    

Tarek still has his Flipping 101 show, and he has his own business of buying ugly houses, and I think that's where the flips were coming from for the last 3 or more years.   Their join business has been out of business for at least 3 years.     He also owns over 100 rental properties, and has his own real estate firm, so he's doing very well. 

I think Tarek will do fine on his house flipping, and his own show, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him have other shows eventually, or produce flip shows for others.     There will always be clueless flippers who are willing to be on TV, so that show could last for a long time. 

I liked seeing the houses on this show, and remodeling them, but won't miss the relationship drama.   I found the ending discussion to be stiff, rehearsed, and the only emotion was Tarek's.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5