Type keyword(s) to search

Flip Or Flop - General Discussion

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Artsda said:

Tarek El Moussa Steps Out for Dinner With a Mystery Blonde 

http://www.eonline.com/ca/news/826703/tarek-el-moussa-steps-out-for-dinner-with-a-mystery-blonde-see-the-photos

Christina's new guy, I thought was her dad. He looks old.

Gary Anderson is quite a bit older than Christina, he has adult children.  There are some photos out there of him and his daughters and one of them looks a lot like Christina, IMO.  Icky!!

Tabloids report Tarek drove away from the restaurant in his Lamborghini while US magazine mentioned that he first met his previous galpal at a party on his $1.5 million yacht and later hired her to be nanny to the kids.  She left that job when their romance heated up, though it is now over.  US also reported that he and Christina were already separated at the time; so she never met the nanny/girlfriend as she has her own full time nanny for the kids and they also keep a spare nanny on retainer for times when the others aren't available.  Flipping homes seems to be quite a lucrative gig.

13 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Tabloids report Tarek drove away from the restaurant in his Lamborghini while US magazine mentioned that he first met his previous galpal at a party on his $1.5 million yacht and later hired her to be nanny to the kids.  She left that job when their romance heated up, though it is now over.  US also reported that he and Christina were already separated at the time; so she never met the nanny/girlfriend as she has her own full time nanny for the kids and they also keep a spare nanny on retainer for times when the others aren't available.  Flipping homes seems to be quite a lucrative gig.

Tarek has a Lamborghini, and he's seeking alimony? Isn't CA a common property state where automatically split all of their assets in half during a divorce? 

• Love 1

And a 1.5 million yacht? This is odd. Unless they are his, but in her name? 

There are some photos out there of him and his daughters and one of them looks a lot like Christina, IMO.  Icky!!

Eww, that's even worse. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, topanga said:

Tarek has a Lamborghini, and he's seeking alimony? Isn't CA a common property state where automatically split all of their assets in half during a divorce? 

Well, he drives one.  No telling who exactly owns it or if it is leased or whatever.  Same thing with the yacht; he has one, but the details of how he got it, who paid, whether it is financed, etc are not known.

ETA a link to photo of Christina with one of Gary's daughters.  She's 26, works as a hair stylist and is getting married soon.  Christina remarks that she is very close to his daughters, they are like sisters to her.  EWWW!

http://hollywoodlife.com/2017/01/25/christina-el-moussa-gary-anderson-relationship-serious-daughters-family/

BTW, Gary has been married twice before.  In his first divorce, his ex took him back to court because he lied about his income to try to get lower alimony and child support.  He claimed an income of about $100 grand a year when it was actually $1 million.  Nice guy!

Edited by doodlebug
39 minutes ago, Pegasaurus said:

These two have disappointed so many us (former) fans.  I understand that marriages don't always work out but the tawdry, tabloid angle on this split is disappointing to say the least.  I feel like I was duped! Even though they owed me nothing but to view cheap, trendy, flip houses.  I wish they'd never brought the kids into the show but that was part of the HGTV bait for viewers. 

I've stopped reading the news bits about them but one thought that has occurred to me is:  why does Christina have to glom on to another man at all?  She surely has enough income to live well at this point in her life.  And this dude she's hitched on to: He's much older, has adult children & 2 divorces under his belt, if what I've read on these forums is correct.  This is the man she brings into her life? Surely, her young children aren't his first concern. Or much of a concern at all for that matter.  Her current lifestyle choices don't seem to be in the best interest of the kids. Goes for Tarek, as well.

Well, considering that Christina has 3 nannies for her 2 children, it doesn't seem like Gary needs to be concerned about her kids.  BTW, Christina is now telling the world that Taylor has 'severe food allergies' diagnosed by a naturopathic doctor who has put her on a special diet.  Naturally, it's gluten-free.  Christina touts several special 'naturopathic' foods, I wonder if she's looking to segue into another line as a holistic health guru?  Poor Taylor, the kid has no privacy as mommy tells the world about her issues with constipation.

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/tarek-el-moussa-christina-taylor-health-124336/photos/tarek-christina-el-moussa-kids-4-227903

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, Angeltoes said:

I've notice that Christina has worn a few drinking shirts on the show, like Champagne Forever, or some such thing.  Doesn't seem very professional.

Yeah, I've noticed that. Some of those "Life is Short. Drink Wine" kind of shirts. I don't think she wears them to open houses (??). Maybe she's trying to show the public that she's not stuffy or snobby. 

On 2/3/2017 at 10:43 AM, iMonrey said:

Ugh - wood planks on the ceiling??? That looked horrible. I guess they were going for some kind of "unique" feature to differentiate this house from all the other homes they do in white and gray but YUCK. And the dining room is the last room in the house I'd want to see it in. That's a sort of rustic touch that's completely at odds with the modern look they always go for. If they did a whole house in a rustic style (like Joanna always does on Fixer Upper), that would be one thing. It did not belong in one of Christina's modern white and gray houses.

I hated the ceiling here too.  I noticed that they never showed a full shot of how it turned out (or if they did, it was so brief that I missed it.).  I think it made the room look short.

I constantly wonder, while watching shows like this on HGTV, how people can stand to have so much tile in their homes.  Those showers and backsplashes seem to me like they would be a nightmare to keep clean.  In certain parts of the country, all that grout would be a magnet for mold.  Ugh!  

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 1

SoCal isn't very humid so mold wouldn't be as much of a problem as it would in - say, the southeast. Which is why you also see a lot tile in homes in Arizona and New Mexico. Still, you'd really need to wipe down that tile in the shower stall after each use because eventually you would have mildew.

But I've noticed a recent trend where Christina keeps wanting to use the same tile on the fireplace that she used in the bathrooms and to that I say YUCK. I do not want elements of my bathroom on display in my living room, thank you very much.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

SoCal isn't very humid so mold wouldn't be as much of a problem as it would in - say, the southeast. Which is why you also see a lot tile in homes in Arizona and New Mexico. Still, you'd really need to wipe down that tile in the shower stall after each use because eventually you would have mildew.

But I've noticed a recent trend where Christina keeps wanting to use the same tile on the fireplace that she used in the bathrooms and to that I say YUCK. I do not want elements of my bathroom on display in my living room, thank you very much.

They do that all the time, often coordinating the kitchen, bath and fireplace.  And, then, they act like it is some sort of high end feature that buyers are clamoring to have.  It looks tacky to me and like they are trying to save a buck on their flips by using up leftover tile rather than buying different tile for each area.  It also never fails that the potential buyers they parade through during the open house 'Oooh' and 'Aaaah' over the matching tile throughout the house like it is some amazing design feature instead of a cheap shortcut.

Interestingly, in the photos she's posted online of her own home, Christina has used distinctly different finishes throughout her own place.

• Love 9

The Anaheim house was pretty nice. The outside was ugly with the painted brick, fake siding to cover up an old  window & light blue paint for the front. Just ugly. The inside was light & airy. I liked the large subway tile they used for the kitchen. I would love that for my kitchen but it's a lot smaller and I'm not sure if it would look right. The fireplace was pretty even though I'm not a fan of glass tile on fireplaces. The bedrooms were spacious. Unfortunately, the power room with the bird sink was too small & ugly. The larger bathroom was nice but I hated the honeycomb glass tile. Tarek was right that the brown (gold) subway tile wasn't needed. The outside patio looked like an afterthought with the usual patio seating group. All in all, a job well done with a few misses.

• Love 2

"They did a really good job with this. You don't see that with homes in this neighborhood". That brings the value down in my mind. The neighborhood values are a big factor.

The living room and bedrooms looked nice. I liked the paint, crown molding and flooring.

OMG, the brown, blue, and white tiles in the shower made me gasp out loud. UGLY! 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, answerphone said:

"They did a really good job with this. You don't see that with homes in this neighborhood". That brings the value down in my mind. The neighborhood values are a big factor.

The living room and bedrooms looked nice. I liked the paint, crown molding and flooring.

OMG, the brown, blue, and white tiles in the shower made me gasp out loud. UGLY! 

The tile in the shower was an abomination!  Just awful, and so busy; not something most people could live with over the long haul. 

I don't know what they could've done about the gap where the window was removed, but putting siding over it was not a good look, either.  I guess fixing the brick to get rid of the window ledge was too expensive, but it sure seems like a better idea.  As it was, the house had very little curb appeal, IMO.

I did notice T&C affectionately calling one another 'hon' and babe'.  I guess this was before the fit hit the shan since I don't think either of them is a very good actor.

• Love 4

But one of the other buyers/looky-loos said the neighborhood was up and coming, hence the multiple offers.

You know what they should have done with that window frame, aside from not painting the brick black?  They should have put shutters there. True, it would have given a false impression of a window there, but anything else short of removing all the brick and extending all the siding (which I guess they decided was too expensive and/or labor intensive) just made it obvious there used to be a window there. So why not pretend there was one on the outside?

I agree the bathroom tile was hideous but to be fair sometimes they can't win. They do all gray and white and we're sick of it so when they try to do something unique we complain too. Maybe they just have bad taste.

Why do stagers always karate chop the accent pillows right down the middle? I've never understood that. Smashing them down in the middle makes them . . . look nicer? Huh?

I did notice T&C affectionately calling one another 'hon' and babe'.  I guess this was before the fit hit the shan since I don't think either of them is a very good actor

Yeah I noticed that too, plus they both ended their phone call with "love you." Honestly, the behind-the-scenes story is more interesting than the show at this point. I'm pretty sure all these episodes were shot before they broke up judging by Braydon's age.

• Love 4

Did they do anything with that huge mutilated tree in the front yard?  From the looks of it, it was dead because other trees in the background had plenty of green leaves.

The front elevation of the house was pretty chopped up with siding, window, brick veneer even before they bought the house.  I may have tried to turn that window frame into a planting area:  put some wrought iron shelving in there with three shelves for flower pots.  

Noticed a couple of times when Christina was doing that "screw her mouth sideways" schtick that she does when she isn't really pleased but she seemed to catch herself before it went fully sideways.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

But one of the other buyers/looky-loos said the neighborhood was up and coming, hence the multiple offers.

You know what they should have done with that window frame, aside from not painting the brick black?  They should have put shutters there. True, it would have given a false impression of a window there, but anything else short of removing all the brick and extending all the siding (which I guess they decided was too expensive and/or labor intensive) just made it obvious there used to be a window there. So why not pretend there was one on the outside?

I agree the bathroom tile was hideous but to be fair sometimes they can't win. They do all gray and white and we're sick of it so when they try to do something unique we complain too. Maybe they just have bad taste.

Why do stagers always karate chop the accent pillows right down the middle? I've never understood that. Smashing them down in the middle makes them . . . look nicer? Huh?

Yeah I noticed that too, plus they both ended their phone call with "love you." Honestly, the behind-the-scenes story is more interesting than the show at this point. I'm pretty sure all these episodes were shot before they broke up judging by Braydon's age.

Professional Stagers and Non Professional Stagers have been doing that karate shop forever. I don't know who started it or who thought it needed to be done. I'll blame it on Trading Spaces since it was the first real estate show I started watching. LOL!!!

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Professional Stagers and Non Professional Stagers have been doing that karate shop forever.

Because no couch that anyone actually *sat* on would have pillows that look like that. So the staging is all to make the house look *NOT* like the buyer's house back home!

10 hours ago, doodlebug said:

The tile in the shower was an abomination!  Just awful, and so busy; not something most people could live with over the long haul. 

Agreed. I hated the shower tile. And I commented to my husband that that raised up tiny tile on the floor would be really hard to clean cat barf off of. But maybe that's just us.

• Love 7

Working together in a very public setting while going thru a divorce must be extremely difficult, to say the least.

If they want to add a little color and variation, do it with paint colors, not that ugly bathroom tile. 

I also wondered how the raised pebble flooring would be cleaned. It seems impossible.

• Love 5

Wouldn't that raised pebble flooring be kind of uncomfortable to walk on?

I wonder if it was just that ugly ass gold tile in the bath that really f'ed up the design. It was just so ugly I couldn't see anything else. Maybe another shade of blue?

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, answerphone said:

HATED the bathroom tile - that was not gold, that was barf color.   And I was not a fan of the green glass tile on the fireplace.  I did really like what they did with the kitchen, though I would never want white cabinets in my own home.   They look nice initially, but I cannot imagine trying to keep them clean.  Ain't nobody got time for that!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

They look nice initially, but I cannot imagine trying to keep them clean.

I had white cabinets in my last house and they were no problem to keep clean. Even with a husband who was a carpenter and amateur motorcycle repairman (and admitted slob!), I just sprayed & wiped. I hate dark cabinets and like to see where the dirt is.

I thought the pale green fireplace tile was lovely, a very serene color.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

They look nice initially, but I cannot imagine trying to keep them clean.  Ain't nobody got time for that!

I don't have any problem with it, and sometimes I'm bad about opening a cabinet with hands that are goopy from whatever I'm in the middle of making; I just use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and even something dried comes right off.  (That's what I use to clean my white refrigerator, too.  Also light switch covers, doors -- anything with fingerprints, it's great for.)

I hate karate chopped pillows! HATE THEM!

I hate pillows. They're just something to move aside when you want to sit on the sofa, lie on the bed.

I've always wondered, are the stagers, Natalie Putnam and Kayla St. John twins?

I thought it odd that Tarek and Christina thought that the half bath was oddly placed. Considering how people don't want the bath too near the kitchen or living areas, I would think this was set aside quite nicely with the laundry room as the buffer. Like others, I liked the kitchen and did not at all like the tile on the fireplace and bathrooms. The shower tile looked pretty early 60s to me, and I'm not one who cared much for that look. 

I can't imagine having to pay as much as $500K for a home like this. I think California is a beautiful state. We have a lot of Californians relocating here (Texas). I know they'll pay less for homes and there are lots of jobs here, but still, giving up that scenery and dealing with the extreme summer heat has got to be tough on many. 

• Love 1

I know in Japan they have toilets with a sink above the tank--seems like something that would have been perfect for that space (unless such a thing wouldn't be to code here).

Always, without fail, when Tarek is putting in an offer on a house the sellers' agent will say, "Oh well, we have so many other interested buyers. I'm just not sure your offer will be enough but I'll check!" and Tarek caves and offers asking price. Like...dude. He is so easy to play.

Has he ever bought a house without Christina's input that made a profit?

• Love 1
On 2/10/2017 at 7:05 PM, Eeksquire said:

I hate karate chopped pillows! HATE THEM! And my sister has started to do it in her own house.  Makes me crazy.  (And feel like no one is really intended to sit on the furniture.)

My stepmother karate chopped the pillows.  She always bitched that I didn't do it right.  Once I just got defiant and drop kicked one pillow and punched another.  You would think I kicked her dog.  Yeah.  I fucking hate those pillows.  Plus I beheaded a bunch of hummells.  I hate fussy tchotchkes and pillows.

• Love 6

Because no couch that anyone actually *sat* on would have pillows that look like that. So the staging is all to make the house look *NOT* like the buyer's house back home!

I don't get how a pillow with a chopped crease down the middle makes the sofa look "new" or "never sat on." To me, it just looks like someone smushed down the pillow. 

I thought it odd that Tarek and Christina thought that the half bath was oddly placed. Considering how people don't want the bath too near the kitchen or living areas, I would think this was set aside quite nicely with the laundry room as 

Considering how tiny it was and that the water heater was out in the open on the other side of the wall, I think it's very likely the area was originally designated to house the water heater out of view, and someone pulled the water heater out of its cubby hole and turned the space into a "half bath." 

• Love 4

So they're still promoting these seminars. You'd think they'd pull out after the bad publicity but I guess the money they're making off them is worth it. Still, I think their value as product endorsers will plummet once their show is off the air so they better rake it in while they have the chance.

Now we know why Tarek is seeking support - turns out Christina started a skin care company called DeCollage and it's purported to be very successful.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
On 2/10/2017 at 11:23 AM, doodlebug said:

I don't know what they could've done about the gap where the window was removed, but putting siding over it was not a good look, either.  I guess fixing the brick to get rid of the window ledge was too expensive, but it sure seems like a better idea.  As it was, the house had very little curb appeal, IMO.

I would have filled it in with some sort of geometric tile accent. Something like a diamond that would mostly fill the space; such as the type of thing that's often done on the wall behind the stove. There's no way to hide it, so you might as well make it a feature. 

• Love 1
On 2/9/2017 at 2:45 PM, doodlebug said:

They do that all the time, often coordinating the kitchen, bath and fireplace.  And, then, they act like it is some sort of high end feature that buyers are clamoring to have.  It looks tacky to me and like they are trying to save a buck on their flips by using up leftover tile rather than buying different tile for each area.  It also never fails that the potential buyers they parade through during the open house 'Oooh' and 'Aaaah' over the matching tile throughout the house like it is some amazing design feature instead of a cheap shortcut.

To me, it's so VERY "builder grade". Builders get all their tile, counters, etc in mass quantities and put it everywhere. New subdivisions always have that look.

For a "custom" home (and certainly in houses the prices seen here) I'd expect more customization. Crazy concept, I know!

• Love 3
On 2/10/2017 at 2:15 PM, iMonrey said:

I wish they could've left that window in. I know they needed the wall space for additional cabinets, but even as they stood in front of the window having a discussion, there was so much natural light pouring through the window that it broke my heart to watch them cover it up. 

Christina should've listened to Tarek. The pattern was really busy--I'm talking, seizure-inducing busy--when it covered all of the shower walls. And yeah, the puke-brown color--I know C called it gold--was a big part of the problem. I usually don't mind Christiana's busy designs. But with this one, she could've done a more neutral tile and used a few of the octagons as an accent or in some kind of design to give a splash of color. 

I thought that tile over the fireplace was hideous, to use your adjective. 

ETA: I loved watching Taylor play in the kids' store. Her ride on the zebra was adorable. And little Brayden always looks so happy. I hope he stays that way. 

Edited by topanga

Christina should've listened to Tarek. The pattern was really busy--I'm talking, seizure-inducing busy--when it covered all of the shower walls. And yeah, the puke-brown color--I know C called it gold--was a big part of the problem. I usually don't mind Christiana's busy designs. But with this one, she could've done a more neutral tile and used a few of the octagons as an accent or in some kind of design to give a splash of color. 

If she would've made 90+% of the tile one color (preferably not the poopy 'gold') and then randomly placed a few tiles in the contrasting color here and there, it could've looked pretty cool.  There were too many different colors making way too busy.

• Love 3

The bathroom on this latest flip was amazing, and I even kind of liked the black and white tile pattern. However - the flooring in the shower pan was too much! When the camera panned down on it I practically got dizzy just looking at it on my TV. Imagine getting in there with a hang-over - you'd fall down. Less is more, Christina. Should have gone with something solid for the floor.

• Love 1

That was such a teeny tiny house. I did like the white picket fence around the concrete slab. It looked so odd and out of place. I would have just made it more of a patio area with table, chairs & umbrella. I didn't like the mulch front yard but I understood it was a cost issue. The kitchen was okay with the space they had. Overall, it was a nice house but so small for a 4 bedroom 2 (?) bathroom house. You gotta love California and real estate. Totally crazy!!

• Love 2

I liked this last flip, I think because unlike recent flips, I didn't have much to criticize. It was pretty obvious that they would have to go with the banquette in the kitchen. I might've done more with it, though, color-wise.  I liked all the tile work this time. Yet again, I feel for people in California who have to pay so much for so little. 

About that fenced-in concrete slab....(I'm guessing, ByaNose, that you meant to write that you did not like the white picket fence.) Seems like they could've come up with something to suggest how this area could be used. Pots with cactus, art of some kind? Pet pig? There didn't even seem to be an easy way to get inside the fenced area. Take a giant step in? 

I've notice that Christina has worn a few drinking shirts on the show, like Champagne Forever, or some such thing. 

Before their personal lives kind of blew up, I'd noticed that Christina had begun wearing these large-font statement Ts that seemed to focus on the high life. I think there was one shirt that mentioned diamonds, but I could be mistaken. I'm thinking that she's doing a favor for someone (or even getting paid) to showcase the shirts. People who make Ts are always hoping to find celebrities to wear them for advertising purposes.

• Love 1
On 2/6/2017 at 2:28 PM, topanga said:

Yeah, I've noticed that. Some of those "Life is Short. Drink Wine" kind of shirts. I don't think she wears them to open houses (??). Maybe she's trying to show the public that she's not stuffy or snobby. 

The one she was wearing right after they announced the split (Pink Champagne, Can't Complain) I believe is made by the make-up company Pink Dust Cosmetics that Christina promotes on Instagram. I visited their website and the make-up does look great - Christina wears too much, but I like the colors. 

On 2/13/2017 at 2:30 PM, iMonrey said:

So they're still promoting these seminars. You'd think they'd pull out after the bad publicity but I guess the money they're making off them is worth it. Still, I think their value as product endorsers will plummet once their show is off the air so they better rake it in while they have the chance.

I think they showed up together at this one because one of the criticisms they've received is that they aren't doing the seminars themselves (for the most part), but they're "training" people who then show up and put on the seminars. So this way they can say "See, we do these ourselves just like we said we would!"

On 2/14/2017 at 6:51 PM, Gam2 said:

Does DeCollage give you really fake eyelashes, make you unable to look directly into another person's eyes, give you fake huge teeth and a lisp? If not, maybe I'll try it.

There's nothing at the DeCollage website about Christina and if you Google Christina El Moussa skin care, articles come up saying she is going to be a spokesperson for Revitalize Serum (a completely different company and product). Also she's never mentioned or promoted DeCollage on Instagram or any other social media...so I don't think that's true about DeCollage. 

Regarding Christina's teeth, she's had work done, but I think her teeth are real. The proof - her much younger (very cute) sister Carly has the exact same overly large teeth, shape, size, and everything. And since she's a grad student in marine biology, I don't think Carly has gotten a full set of caps. I think Christina's teeth are her own. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, mojito said:

I liked this last flip, I think because unlike recent flips, I didn't have much to criticize. It was pretty obvious that they would have to go with the banquette in the kitchen. I might've done more with it, though, color-wise.  I liked all the tile work this time. Yet again, I feel for people in California who have to pay so much for so little. 

About that fenced-in concrete slab....(I'm guessing, ByaNose, that you meant to write that you did not like the white picket fence.) Seems like they could've come up with something to suggest how this area could be used. Pots with cactus, art of some kind? Pet pig? There didn't even seem to be an easy way to get inside the fenced area. Take a giant step in? 

Before their personal lives kind of blew up, I'd noticed that Christina had begun wearing these large-font statement Ts that seemed to focus on the high life. I think there was one shirt that mentioned diamonds, but I could be mistaken. I'm thinking that she's doing a favor for someone (or even getting paid) to showcase the shirts. People who make Ts are always hoping to find celebrities to wear them for advertising purposes.

Yes, I didn't like the white picket fence. I had forgotten to mention but did notice how there was no entry from the front door that I could see. It really looked like you had to take a giant step up to get in to it from outside. I think a row of potted plants would have looked nicer then the fence. The front of the house was a real problem for them but they didn't have the time or budget to make any drastic changes to better the curb appeal.

13 hours ago, Honey said:

About that house where they removed the window and it looked odd from the outside:  They should have put a vertical garden there, with some shade tolerant plants.

I was thinking they could have put in shelves and some potted plants and suches.

the tiny sink with the exposed piping looked shitty and cheap.  The sink probably came from Ikea.  IKEA has vanities for those sinks, like 99 bucks.  And put some bifold doors to cover the water heater you cheap skates. 

I liked the honey comb tile, but I also have shitty taste often.