Type keyword(s) to search

This Is Our Spoiler and Speculation Topic

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, crashdown said:

Do you have a source for that, or is it just speculation? I haven't read that, and I'm interested. Thanks!

I doubt any television production could force an actress to have surgery even if she signed a contract agreeing to lose weight, that would be insane.   They had the option to fire her for breach of contract,  but due to the immense popularity of the actress,  they chose to alter the narrative.  

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

I doubt any television production could force an actress to have surgery even if she signed a contract agreeing to lose weight, that would be insane.   They had the option to fire her for breach of contract,  but due to the immense popularity of the actress,  they chose to alter the narrative.  

Again, are you speculating, or do you have evidence that there was an actual discussion putting surgery on the table? Are you speculating, or have you read that there was a discussion about breach of contract? If you have evidence, can you point me to those articles, even generally? Thanks.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, crashdown said:

Do you have a source for that, or is it just speculation? I haven't read that, and I'm interested. Thanks!

I remember an interview at the very beginning of season 1 where Chrissy said she was supposed to lose weight for the show and was glad the show was giving her the motivation to lose the weight. I don't remember if she said it was in her contract or not, but it was definitely insinuated.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, crashdown said:

I don't think they were as chill as that. Don't forget that it was written into Chrissy's contract that she was going to lose weight, so we could all "go on the journey" with her. Since we haven't gone on that journey, I'm assuming things didn't go exactly according to plan.

From what I have read, Chrissy's contract did not require her to lose weight; but did include a clause that, should she lose weight, it would be incorporated into Kate's story.  Dan Fogelman apparently based Kate's character on his sister, who was morbidly obese and then lost a lot of weight; so I presume he had a character arc in mind for Kate which has gone by the wayside.

Chrissy Metz has said that there has not been pressure on her to lose weight from TPTB.

• Love 5

My recollection was she gave an interview & stated it was in the contract & subsequently walked that back and said it had just been in conversations about where they saw the character story going. If you go back early in her thread here, there was lots of talk about it.  

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, pennben said:

My recollection was she gave an interview & stated it was in the contract & subsequently walked that back and said it had just been in conversations about where they saw the character story going.

Yes, that's my recollection as well, but I remember it as "lose weight" and not "have weight loss surgery." There's a HUGE difference in those two stipulations. I certainly never remember Dan Fogelman retracting anything as "unethical, horrible, really take your pick on adjectives." Granted, I don't follow this show with bated breath, so I might have missed scandal or two along the way.

• Love 1

I guess the dreaded  accident is next after  Randall's episode. It's called Saturday in the Park.

Miguel's and Rebecca's BBQ doesn't go as planned.

Of course it doesn't. Why should they have a nice BBQ with their family? More angst, drama and hysteria.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, debraran said:

I guess the dreaded  accident is next after  Randall's episode. It's called Saturday in the Park.

Miguel's and Rebecca's BBQ doesn't go as planned.

Of course it doesn't. Why should they have a nice BBQ with their family? More angst, drama and hysteria.

Kate's gonna blame Toby for the Big Green Egg accident and let Jack, Jr. as well as Hailey, I suppose, believe their Dad was at fault for ending their marriage, when the truth is she's already made that call with her phone call to Philip Mean Jerk/Your New Stepdaddy on The Hill.

• Love 7

HIs girlfriend/wife Lucy said "You know, you don’t need to keep using that thing, “It’s like the literal symbol of the day your mom and dad’s marriage blew up. Besides, that day almost permanently deformed that near-perfect face of yours.”

IDK it's another manipulation and to me just too much. Isn't he lies, the distance, the growing apart enough, we need a drama with the blind son to further the crack? For it to break them up permanently,being believable aside, it has to be blamed on someone. Why can't we concentrate on other things, funny Nicky moments, Annie appearances, Miguel and Rebecca having fun without drama before she gets sick. The light moments Dan promised.

At least Jack Jr didn't have the memory or fall out keep him from his grilling, he liked the taste and didn't care, that NEVER would have happened with his mom if she was the child. Just an odd episode.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, debraran said:

At least Jack Jr didn't have the memory or fall out keep him from his grilling, he liked the taste and didn't care, that NEVER would have happened with his mom if she was the child. Just an odd episode.

We also discover that someone, most likely his mother, actually told Jack that this incident, involving him, was the impetus for his parents' divorce.  Just what any kid wants to hear from a parent, that they're the reason the marriage didn't work out.  Especially, since, as we've seen the past few weeks, the marriage is over well before the BGE incident.

• Love 10

I'm learning never to trust a single word that showrunners say. Lately they either lie outright to mislead us or try to retcon shit to make their inconsistent writing seem feasible. The showrunners on TIU promised us that this would just be a natural growing-apart with neither side being in the wrong and that the BGE incident would be nothing dramatic, but all evidence is pointed to the contrary.

12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Kate's gonna blame Toby for the Big Green Egg accident and let Jack, Jr. as well as Hailey, I suppose, believe their Dad was at fault for ending their marriage, when the truth is she's already made that call with her phone call to Philip Mean Jerk/Your New Stepdaddy on The Hill.

If that's how it pans out, then I really hope Rebecca outlives Kate in the future.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 5

I have to say I was a little shocked the next episode after Saturday in the Park which is heavy on Kate/Toby is "Katoby" so another one? I wonder if that will be the FF divorce? I was hoping for an episode on Miguel and Rebecca or Kevin talking to Sophie after she calls Kate or Nicky. I am surprised they get highlighted 2 wks in a row, not in just showing them but the title means more heavy emphasis on it.

I wish I could see week later but it usually isn't released more than 2 wks earlier.

Any chance Randall gets blamed for little Jack escaping instead of Toby?

But then poor angst ridden adult Jack would feel blame for causing the breakup of his parents marriage and Randall not becoming President.

• LOL 7
20 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Any chance Randall gets blamed for little Jack escaping instead of Toby?

No, Randall will never get blamed for anything. If Randall is involved in this situation at all, he'll probably be the hero who finds Jack before anything bad can happen to him.

According to my cloud DVR, the episode after the next one ("Saturday in the Park") is called "Katoby." So it looks like we're getting two episodes in a row to wrap up Kate and Toby's marriage, after which the path will be clear for her to fall in love with and marry PMJ.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, chocolatine said:

No, Randall will never get blamed for anything. If Randall is involved in this situation at all, he'll probably be the hero who finds Jack before anything bad can happen to him.

According to my cloud DVR, the episode after the next one ("Saturday in the Park") is called "Katoby." So it looks like we're getting two episodes in a row to wrap up Kate and Toby's marriage, after which the path will be clear for her to fall in love with and marry PMJ.

I hope they make it crystal clear as to why and how PMJ falls in love with Kate, because it seems so far fetched to me.  I keep thinking there's an immigration issue where Prince Philip Mean Jerk needs Kate, or Kate needs her boss to pay for her medical insurance (or gastric bypass surgery!) because Toby isn't responsible anymore for her after the divorce.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Ty . So going back to Randall’s Presidency.  There is no secret service in those scenes. So either- he hasn’t run yet.  He ran but lost ( but his younger self says he’s going to win).  He decided not to run because it would disrupt Beth’s career. 

I’m  going with the last option. It would be so Randall of him.

• LOL 3
On 4/2/2022 at 11:32 PM, chocolatine said:

Not even two episodes. Next week is 'Katoby', an episode of the chronological romance of Kate/Toby (a la the Randall/Beth episode a few seasons back) and the episode after that is called 'Day of the Wedding', where 'The Pearsons gather for Kate's wedding.' If they skip a shit-ton of steps to gloss over the divorce and rush into Kate and Phillip Mean Jerk, it's going to be such a narrative letdown and screwed-up way to tell the story.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Not even two episodes. Next week is 'Katoby', an episode of the chronological romance of Kate/Toby (a la the Randall/Beth episode a few seasons back) and the episode after that is called 'Day of the Wedding', where 'The Pearsons gather for Kate's wedding.' If they skip a shit-ton of steps to gloss over the divorce and rush into Kate and Phillip Mean Jerk, it's going to be such a narrative letdown and screwed-up way to tell the story.

Ugh. Plus, from the preview it looks like Toby agrees to take the LA job and Kate is *still* not happy. And then PMJ will fall madly in love with her even though he wasn't impressed with her initially. And will he still be her boss when that happens? If so, gross.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Ugh. Plus, from the preview it looks like Toby agrees to take the LA job and Kate is *still* not happy. And then PMJ will fall madly in love with her even though he wasn't impressed with her initially. And will he still be her boss when that happens? If so, gross.

Yeah, the show is going to have to do some work to make Kate and PMJ plausible considering (a) they've only shared one or two scenes thus far this season (b) he broke up with his last girlfriend because 'she bored him' and (c) he is her boss!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Yeah, the show is going to have to do some work to make Kate and PMJ plausible considering (a) they've only shared one or two scenes thus far this season (b) he broke up with his last girlfriend because 'she bored him' and (c) he is her boss!

And since there are only 7 episodes left and Kate still has no clue how she is contributing to the break-up of her marriage, how are we supposed to believe in her success in her new marriage?

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I think Kate and Phillip will have to be rushed and therefore we won't be invested in them as a couple. I have a bad feeling that Kate and Toby will reunite in the finale and that will make all of these episodes of Kate & Toby breaking up a total waste of time. I really hope they don't break them up just to put them together in the future. I hope Toby ends up happy with someone else. 

• Love 8

I wondered how they would FF to the wedding before the end of the season. I know Sophie is at it and a kind fan shared a ocuple of pics of Kevin and her filming. I hope that's not the first time he talks to her after ignoring her phone call. He loved her and was scared to talk to her before his loveless nuptials but he always treats her badly. She seemed to be in a place where she wanted to talk to him and then he just brushes someone off that he said was his only love, "his arm" the only person he told he loved. How they are going to to reconcile his childish behavior in a few episodes, we will see.

I hated the Kate/Toby divorce plot, I just can't wrap my head around why (beyond a disagreement with someone) that they'd have that implode the last season to make more depressing episodes, make more "camps" from fans and have her marrying a guy she works with. Why waste episodes on him so close to ending the show?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, debraran said:

I wondered how they would FF to the wedding before the end of the season. I know Sophie is at it and a kind fan shared a ocuple of pics of Kevin and her filming. I hope that's not the first time he talks to her after ignoring her phone call. 

That is exactly what I am expecting to happen -- I think they will reconnect at Kate's wedding.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/6/2022 at 12:03 AM, LexieLily said:

This.

I would like to believe, based on next week’s preview, that the final uncoupling will be amicable. That Kate will be mature and realize that they’ve just grown apart and that it’s nobody’s fault. That the divorce will actually make their relationship and coparenting better and that Kate won’t be petty and shoehorn Toby out of their kids’ lives. That Tony won’t be treated like a pariah by the Pearson clan while they automatically embrace PMJ as his replacement. And that Toby’s hesitancy about coming to Rebecca’s deathbed will be nothing more than unfounded insecurity because he and Kate aren’t married anymore.

I would like to believe all of that. But I’d also like to sprout wings and fly.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 12
  • Love 4

We are shown a preview where someone(Randall?) is calling Toby - the impression is that Rebecca is near the end - and Toby says something like "Does she really want me there?". So I can't imagine Katoby gets back together.

We haven't established that Kate predeceased Rebecca? Why is that in my head?

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, gameshowjunkie said:

A lot of people assume Kate is dead in the 2030 flashforward of Rebecca's deathbed because she has yet to appear.  No one on the show has hinted to her being dead.  

2 hours ago, gameshowjunkie said:

We are shown a preview where someone(Randall?) is calling Toby - the impression is that Rebecca is near the end - and Toby says something like "Does she really want me there?". So I can't imagine Katoby gets back together.

Not at the future scene where Rebecca is dying, but I can see them putting Kate & Toby together in the later future scene of Jack, his wife, baby, Hailey. I hope not, after spending all of this season on breaking them up. 

I firmly believe that the show runners don’t see the need for the audience to be invested in Kate & PMJ’s relationship. They got the “shock value” they wanted in the FF wedding scene. We’re getting the breaking of Katoby, but evidently we’re just supposed to accept PMJ because Kate did. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I firmly believe that the show runners don’t see the need for the audience to be invested in Kate & PMJ’s relationship. They got the “shock value” they wanted in the FF wedding scene. We’re getting the breaking of Katoby, but evidently we’re just supposed to accept PMJ because Kate did. 

Then they shouldn't have spent his time last season making him a jerk.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I think in a "soapy" like fashion I don't like, they wanted the later Philip to be such a contrast. Chrissy says you will see another side of him (like that erases the rudeness) and probably some reason for it we will accept. Without giving too much away she said they don't see each other romantically until her and Toby divorce but he is supporting her. (I guess siblings aren't enough) Then they grow close. I'm sorry, I still can't feel this. And why her boss? It's all been done before but it seems so rushed and I still can't fathom why year 3 or 4 this couldn't have happened, the divorce, have Kate on her own, shocking, but it could happen, and then she meets Philip.

Women in this show seem like they collapse without a guy around. Rebecca would have been fine without Randall, she was much stronger than she thought as you can see as she starts dating and getting out. In time she would have blossomed. I wish we saw more about that time but Covid or lack of want from writers left it blank. Kate? She seems so fragile. If that job doesn't open up for her (we know that it will) would she be able to look for another? Could she leave a low paying job she feels comfortable in? I'm sure with Toby's child support and Kevin's generosity and endless supply of money, she'll be fine but realistic in this manner, the show falters.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Pallas said:

I suspect Kate and Philip will be divorced by the time Kate appears at Grandmother's House. 

I’m kind of hoping for that, honestly.

This feels like HIMYM all over again. Only this time, instead of introducing a “new” character that clearly lived up to her hype only to kill her off to make room for a relationship that they spent THE WHOLE SHOW telling us could not work, they’re bulldozing an established relationship to shoehorn some rando jerk without bothering to develop his character. If they want to break up Toby and Kate, fine, but adding Philip just feels so cheap and trite.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m kind of hoping for that, honestly.

This feels like HIMYM all over again. Only this time, instead of introducing a “new” character that clearly lived up to her hype only to kill her off to make room for a relationship that they spent THE WHOLE SHOW telling us could not work, they’re bulldozing an established relationship to shoehorn some rando jerk without bothering to develop his character. If they want to break up Toby and Kate, fine, but adding Philip just feels so cheap and trite.

I don't have any issue with Kate and Toby ultimately not working out.  The writing has been there from the beginning.  I am disappointed that the show is insisting on pairing up everyone at the end.  Unless Kevin's wedding ring is some kind of misdirection and he is single.  The writing is there to have Kevin find fulfillment as a parent instead of having a wife.  People can be single and happy.  

• Love 7
(edited)
18 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I don't think Philip has ever been a jerk to Kate. He didn't want to hire her initially because the other candidates were more qualified. He was snarky about it, but he wasn't wrong. Kate thought he was a jerk because he wasn't immediately won over by her Pearson-ness.

The only time he's been a real jerk was when he was breaking up with his attractive girlfriend by telling her that she bored him.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't think Philip has ever been a jerk to Kate. He didn't want to hire her initially because the other candidates were more qualified. He was snarky about it, but he wasn't wrong. Kate thought he was a jerk because he wasn't immediately won over by her Pearson-ness.

The only time he's been a real jerk was when he was breaking up with his attractive girlfriend by telling her that she bored him.

I agree. If anything, Philip doesn't entertain Kate's "I'm a Pearson" nonsense. She had to prove herself to him through working with the kids as her words, Pearson speechifying notwithstanding, weren't good enough and rightfully so.  

• Love 1
On 4/6/2022 at 8:51 AM, HelenCrump said:

That is exactly what I am expecting to happen -- I think they will reconnect at Kate's wedding.

Didn’t realize Sophie would be at Kate’s wedding.  Well Kevin effectively broke off anything with Madison.  So I guess it’s Sophie, random female , or he chooses himself. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Didn’t realize Sophie would be at Kate’s wedding.  Well Kevin effectively broke off anything with Madison.  So I guess it’s Sophie, random female , or he chooses himself. 

Or Cassidy?  He is wearing a wedding ring in the Rebecca deathbed scene.

• Love 2

I'm still questioning the whole "death bed" concept.  Yes, Rebecca seems to be bedridden and frail, but she's not on life support, so there can't really be a timetable for when she'll pass.  The signs when one's organs are shutting down usually come in their final hours, not days - and not enough time to gather out of town family, find party games & go for take out (at least in my experience).  Family does, of course, visit a loved one to say goodbye before the end, but the expectation here, audience-wise, is that it's Rebecca's death. 

I also don't understand why it'd be important for Toby to be there and why he's the one answering where his kids are.  Not if Kate is in charge of Rebecca and making all these arrangements.  Surely she'd know where Jack was, and would be the one Randall asked - not Toby who appeared to come from a hotel room where he was alone.  

I do love the way Randall hugs Toby (though, again, why? Toby was booted from the family years before this, and his time in Pearson World was fairly short.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I hate the idea of Kevin and Sophie, but I also hate the idea of Cassidy and Kevin. I don’t love the idea of Madison and Kevin but maybe I’m rooting for that by default.

1 hour ago, deaja said:

I hate the idea of Kevin and Sophie, but I also hate the idea of Cassidy and Kevin. I don’t love the idea of Madison and Kevin but maybe I’m rooting for that by default.

I would prefer someone not already seen, but there is not enough show left for that and they are already doing that with Kate and Philip.  I did like Zoe, but she and Kevin have a fundamental incompatibility that cannot be overcome.   

I hate the idea of Kevin and Sophie round 3.  A second chance romance with her would have worked.  Third times a charm is not romantic,  it's settling.  Knowing this show, we will unfortunately get Sophie as Kevin's wife wearing the emerald ring symbolizing him finally being worthy of her, and Dan Fogelman will be doing interviews talking about how romantic it is.  

• Love 5

We know that a woman is staying in the same hotel room as Kevin in the wedding FF and that he and Madison seem really close - she playfully puts her hand on his chest and teases him about having told him something many times that morning. If both he and Madison are with other people at the time, that level of intimacy wouldn't be appropriate. Even if they remain very friendly for the sake of their children, as they should, I don't think they would be so touchy-feely with each other.

My best guess about Sophie is that she comes to the wedding as Kate's friend, and her seeing Kevin happy with another woman will be the final closure for them (although, for Sophie's sake, I'd want her to have moved on years before that).

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 5