Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

On 6/7/2016 at 7:56 PM, Honey said:

UIU treatment stimulates the ovaries to release multiple mature eggs, at the same time giving the sperm a "head start", allowing for easier fertilization.  Other than reducing the amount of embryos there isn't much you can do.  They seem like a religious couple, so that was probably never considered.

I had IUI, and there is plenty you can do.  The hormones you take cause the eggs to start to mature, which is monitored by ultrasound.  Too many eggs, you cancel the cycle and try again later.  They have one set of identical twins, so they saw four egg follicles maturing and decided to continue.  

Thanks for the League City info, I came here to see where they lived!  It looks really beautiful on the show, nice editing :)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I just saw the first episode tonight, from May, and I do agree the parents seems overwhelmed. A few years ago, there was the Jones family from Texas who also had quintuplets and an older daughter. That show only lasted 2 seasons, I believe and it started when the quints were about a year old, I think. I don't blame the parents for signing up with TLC since it's unlikely it will run more than a couple of seasons. The show with the Gosselins was the first one about high order multiples, plus Kate herself was so "out there" , she was the main draw for the show after the first couple of seasons. I really don't see that happening with this family. 

I will say though, that looking at their home in the first episode, it looked like a mansion to me (maybe because I'm in NJ and anything that side would easily be over a million dollars). I am also quite surprised that the family didn't have people from their church helping them out with the babies. The Gosselins and other families with multiples had people from the community helping them out for the first 6 to 12 months that the babies were home. Somehow, the Gosselin family also qualified for a full time baby nurse. I saw that some of the quints had breathing problems, so don't they also qualify for home nursing care after being discharged from the hospital?

• Like 1

Anyone know what the husband does for a living?

I tried to watch this show, but I didn't really care for the parents. Something about them seems quite smug and I didn't care for the comments about the wife's mother. I do think the wife needs way more support than she has and I'm really surprised that they have so few people interested in helping them. The first thing I thought while watching the first season of the show was that if they were in a church, they would have so many people signing up to help, but then it was revealed they do have a church family. Older women in my mother's church love helping out with new babies.

I personally am not a huge fan of people putting minor children on reality shows. I know the show provides some financial cushion, but still.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I actually really like this couple.  They seem so down to earth to me -  very unlike the Gosselins, even when they started out.   Danielle and Adam seem so even tempered and it really appears that they are dealing with their new reality moment by moment.  It's nice to not see constant complaining. 

• Love 5
On 5/15/2016 at 8:36 PM, Maharincess said:

They've already sold out their family for money.

Somebody should tell the Busbys how being exploited for fame and money by their caretakers worked out for the Dionne quintuplets. They wrote a letter to parents of septuplets later in life begging the parents not to exploit their children for fame, writing, among other things, that "Multiple births should not be confused with entertainment, nor should they be an opportunity to sell products." 

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I understand the emotional and financial drain this family is suffering.  They're extremely worried about money in the one episode I'm watching (came across it while channel surfing).  I'm not in the demographic of this show and won't watch future presentations.  Still, we ALL know the family is being paid handsomely for participating on a television series.  I guess they've been instructed not to break the fourth wall and mention how GRATEFUL they are for this extra income. Extra income and (surely) unbelievably annoying intrusions by TV crews and equipment.

Edited by Former Nun
added a ")"

I like this family more than the family in Quints by surprise as at least they seem more real.  Their house is a mess and not every outfit is matching all of the time which seems realistic as why change all the kids if only one has dirty clothes.

They do have a lot of nice baby stuff which I assume was probably donated as those mommarues are pricey, I doubt they bought any of the initial supplies.

It is interesting that homes are so cheap in Texas, that huge house they got for $500k seems really cheap compated to homes in my province.

I've never even heard of this show. Did the mother really give birth to all those kids? I'm blown away by the fitness level of these two people. Well, I mean before any TLC money kicks in, and they start with the plastic surgery, etc.  When do they have time to work out?

I am pretty surprised by Danielle's stomach.  In  Jon and Kate, Kate showed her huge jelly belly.  

Okay with bigger kids I like the parents less now.  Why do they get 5 sets of pierced ears to clean and take care of?  It seems they make their life harder on purpose.  Ugh I spoke too soon about the matching outfits.  Man I hate that and it shows they aren't just using hand me downs as everything (clothes, high chairs, cribs, etc) matches.

It is interesting that the mom Mimi is burning out and seems to have financial issues while her daughter has 6 kids and loads of expensive stuff.  Maybe helping them out meant the mom lost her job? I guess we will see as there is discussion of Mimi's finances this season.

Edited by fountain
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I really like them. I think they are doing the best they can and seem to be pretty even keeled. I think they almost make it obvious that the show helped them get the house which I kind of appreciate.

Interesting about the mom thing... I almost got the vibe maybe she is struggling with addiction and maybe that is why she hasn't moved out by them and may be unemployed? I don't know why I feel that way

I think they 100% are just doing the show for the money and I do not blame them one bit. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, fountain said:

I am pretty surprised by Danielle's stomach.  In  Jon and Kate, Kate showed her huge jelly belly.  

Surprised? I am blown away. I am small framed and work hard to stay in good physical shape too, but it took me at least a year to get down anywhere near where I was before, and I only had one child at a time. She looks amazing.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Interesting about the mom thing... I almost got the vibe maybe she is struggling with addiction and maybe that is why she hasn't moved out by them and may be unemployed? I don't know why I feel that way

There is something more going on there. She's been a teacher 25 years and now she's suddenly surprised to not have her position come fall? It just seemed weird, to me. 

8 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

I think they 100% are just doing the show for the money and I do not blame them one bit. 

Absolutely. I just hope they don't drag it out. Pay off some debt, set up some savings, then call it a day. 

I really like this couple. I think they are sweet with each other, and have a nice balance going on. I like the way Danielle teases Adam, and how self deprecating they are about their struggles. Overall, Danielle just has such an easy going nature. I wish I could be like that! But what a breath of fresh air - to see her playing restaurant with her daughter and laughing about the messes the quints make. As opposed to being uber controlling mom, who has to HAS TO stick to the schedule, and God forbid someone makes a mess. (*ahem*kate*ahem*)

I'm curious about Hazel's eye issue and what they eventually decide to do. Surgery is so scary at that young age, I'm sure it's a very hard decision to make.

• Love 5

I do always wonder how much of the "go with the flow" is put on.  Usually Danielle gets what she wants so she doesn't have to show her inner bitch side.  But in the car when talking about the surgery and Adam actually finally had an opinion, I was happy we finally see some of the "go with the flow" facade drop and some of her bitchiness come out.

I am surprised they are so fit though, I would think with 5 one year olds that they would have no time.

What I find hard to appreciate is how much nice stuff they have.  When J&K started they had that plain minimal stuff house.  A&D have fancy furniture, when they need to be saving for retirement and for college.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, fountain said:

I do always wonder how much of the "go with the flow" is put on.  Usually Danielle gets what she wants so she doesn't have to show her inner bitch side.  But in the car when talking about the surgery and Adam actually finally had an opinion, I was happy we finally see some of the "go with the flow" facade drop and some of her bitchiness come out.

I am surprised they are so fit though, I would think with 5 one year olds that they would have no time.

What I find hard to appreciate is how much nice stuff they have.  When J&K started they had that plain minimal stuff house.  A&D have fancy furniture, when they need to be saving for retirement and for college.  

I think they were doing probably pretty well before the Quints, and even if they didn't have TLC post Quints I think Adam makes a lot of money. Without TLC they probably wouldn't have had the new house but I hardly think they would have been destitute. Their furniture looked about the same and I'm sure a lot of the baby stuff was gifted to them. 

I didn't think she was being a bitch in the car regarding surgery, I think she was just just really upset/emotional at the thought of surgery. Considering the amount of stress in their daily life I thought they handled that amazing

Just watching her wrangle 5 one year olds gave me stress. lol. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

Their furniture looked about the same and I'm sure a lot of the baby stuff was gifted to them. 

A lot of companies will donate when families have multiples. It gets your brand out there and helps foster a good reputation. 

1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

I didn't think she was being a bitch in the car regarding surgery, I think she was just just really upset/emotional at the thought of surgery. Considering the amount of stress in their daily life I thought they handled that amazing

Agree. I can't imagine NOT getting upset at that idea. There are a lot of pros and cons to weigh there, and I appreciated that they were both able to voice their concerns, even if they didn't necessarily agree. Hopefully they can come together and decide how to move forward. Personally, with something that serious, I might want a second opinion. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 2

There is a tremendous difference in the Busbys and in the Gardners (Tyson and Ashley of TLC's Rattled with their quads.)  So many times Ashley gives a thinly veiled plea for something they need/want, such as high chairs, car seats, etc.  And in no time at all, one of their followers will send the needed item.  Yet - they have money for lots of date nights and overnight trips leaving their girls with family.  

They have a vlog on YouTube and post a video daily.  Just watch a few of them and you will see what I mean.  Sometimes, you will see Ashley glance to see if the camera is following her and then she goes into these Madonna like poses and acts likes she is such a beautiful mom.  And to have supposedly been a make up artist, when she wears makeup she looks horrible - way too dark and too much, especially her eye shadow. She is pretty with no makeup but with it, she looks like a 'lady of the night'!      And Ashley talks to her almost 2 year olds like they are still little babies, using this shrill, high pitched voice.  They are not shown teaching their girls anything really.  I fear they will be shocked when the terrible twos set in.                        

I much prefer the Busbys.  They are real people and act like it.  

Edited to add:  I have no doubt that Tyson and Ashley love their 4 toddlers.   I just think they have become too caught up in thinking they are some sort of stars.  They show parts of their children's lives that the girls may resent one day.

Edited by TerryeW1
  • Love 1

Sorry I guess it didn't come across in my post but I meant bitchy as a positive thing.  I get tired of people's perfectly happy all the time facade, even being taken in to deliver at 28 weeks Danielle was giddy smiling.  It was nice to see something real and a real disagreement discussion as everything has just seemed so "perfect" in the past. 

Saw the dad with his shirt off in a pool in the episode I just watched on demand. How is he so fit and his clothes and hair are always so perfect? When does he have the time and money for that? I don't know but I see so Jon Gossling possibility here ( with the dad wanting his young fun party life back). And how can they be without any kiddos in the picture on many of their talking heads, like when they are in kitchen and all is dead silent???? I had twins when my son was just 2 and my house was always bumping...until recently with son at college and twins finishing HS (now it's very quiet...YAY!!!). Also we didn't have time for the gym and now we're fat...lol!

Last season I saw an episode and thought 'aw, this couple is really cute and they seem to like each other'. This first episode, this season, I notice some sort of cold distance between them.

And the grandma...I wonder if A- she's mad that she helped them so much and is struggling financially but they don't help her, yet clearly they are making a lot of money or B- it's setting up for grandma to move there too, like the second sister did (she should).

Edited by Lamima
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I like this family too.  I am sure Danielle had surgery on her stomach--she looks amazing in a 2 piece.  I think they have always been very fit people.  Danielle probably still gets some running in and I imagine Adam gets gym time in during the day while he is away from home.  They are so lucky to have family around.

Someone upthread mentioned that there wasn't any help from the church.  That is untrue because the people of their church gave them that huge van they drive.  Also, on last years show she set up a schedule for people to volunteer to help her out and there were volunteers.  So there are volunteers, we just didn't seem much of them.

The one crazy thing I have seen is taking all six kids to the grocery store.  That was nuts.  It would be so much easier to take Blake and one of the babies to the store and have her sister babysit the other four while they are gone.  But it did show how difficult it is to go anywhere with so many kids.

Danielle has a positive attitude!

• Love 1

I know many hardworking people have been  laid off. And yes, school systems do consolidate, force early retirement or re-assign teachers. But I would say it has been a LONG time since I heard a teacher did NOT have a placement at the start of school. And she wouldn't have gotten paid over the summer anyway, so why is it a financial crisis now? And a 25-yr career teacher, whose kids are past grown, would have a little coin to fall back on. From what they shown in the preview, not sure how much the rummage is going to financially help.

Edited by sATL

the eye dr had a lot to say in 1 minute and 30 seconds. I timed it from the time he sat down until he said the word "surgery" and the camera cut away to Danielle with a sound effect. He scared me too. I would get a second opinion.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, sATL said:

I know many hardworking people have been  laid off. And yes, school systems do consolidate, force early retirement or re-assign teachers. But I would say it has been a LONG time since I heard a teacher did NOT have a placement at the start of school. And she wouldn't have gotten paid over the summer anyway, so why is it a financial crisis now? And a 25-yr career teacher, whose kids are past grown, would have a little coin to fall back on. From what they shown in the preview, not sure how much the rummage is going to financially help.

It does seem a little fishy.  I would think a teacher with 25 years in would have seniority and the younger teachers would be laid off.  She should be able to sign up to be a substitute if nothing else.  My sister retired two years ago and subs twice a week usually but could do it full-time because there is a huge demand for subs where she lives.

On 11/19/2016 at 7:24 PM, riverblue22 said:

I like this family too.  I am sure Danielle had surgery on her stomach--she looks amazing in a 2 piece.  I think they have always been very fit people.  Danielle probably still gets some running in and I imagine Adam gets gym time in during the day while he is away from home.  They are so lucky to have family around.

Plus, chasing after 6 babies is a marathon in itself. Danielle just seems naturally thin, to me, as well. Both of her sisters are slender as well. 

13 hours ago, sATL said:

Is HEB like a Sams or Cosco? if not it would seem cheaper to buy in bulk. and Sams used to (and the might still do) pull an order - esp. if you do it online first.

No, I think it's more like a nicer grocery store - Safeway, Albertsons, HyVee, etc. I do not know why they were buying diapers there. Maybe because it's closer? I'd be buying online! I got great prices on Amazon when my daughter was still in diapers. 

12 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

It does seem a little fishy.  I would think a teacher with 25 years in would have seniority and the younger teachers would be laid off.  She should be able to sign up to be a substitute if nothing else.  My sister retired two years ago and subs twice a week usually but could do it full-time because there is a huge demand for subs where she lives.

I thought it was fishy from jump. It made me wonder if it was something the mom did, why her job wasn't renewed. 

Edited by ghoulina
On 11/19/2016 at 7:24 PM, riverblue22 said:

Someone upthread mentioned that there wasn't any help from the church.  That is untrue because the people of their church gave them that huge van they drive.  Also, on last years show she set up a schedule for people to volunteer to help her out and there were volunteers.  So there are volunteers, we just didn't seem much of them.

The one crazy thing I have seen is taking all six kids to the grocery store.  That was nuts.  It would be so much easier to take Blake and one of the babies to the store and have her sister babysit the other four while they are gone.  But it did show how difficult it is to go anywhere with so many kids.

Danielle has a positive attitude!

She said that the stroller with all the babies weight around 200 lbs. So man her workout would be just pushing the kids up and down the street! 

39 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

She said that the stroller with all the babies weight around 200 lbs. So man her workout would be just pushing the kids up and down the street! 

I'm telling you! I was at Target Saturday with my kids. Got 2 weeks worth of groceries, plus I was pushing two of my kids, totaling about 100 lbs, in one of those kiddie carts. My legs were BURNING by the end. 

• Love 1

The Mimi stuff is weird.  I would think at her age she would have some savings but she might not as I don't recall knowing if she was a single parent?  That part isn't clear.

I do like that the older twin daughters did challenge Mimi a bit on why she just tells Danielle things, they seemed hurt, I would be too.

The Mimi moving in looks interesting because it will probably be a balance of not being a babysitter 24/7.  Maybe all the moving, lost job, etc is put on for the show and she was always going to move from lake Charles.

I do think Adam just mainly agrees with Danielle that is why they don't fight or have stress as Adam called it in the van.  On the one thing he decided to "disagree" with Danielle, she didn't consider his feelings at all, not even for a second and just refused to discuss it. It basically was "I am the mom, why are you being like this".  

• Love 1

I think the Mimi storyline was cooked up to create a little "drama" for the show.  It makes sense for her to move since all of her kids are there, but they had to make a big deal out of it.  Storylines might be hard to come by when the key players are toddlers.

I hope it was just a storyline. Because it looked like Mimi kind of manipulated them into letting her move in - since, you know, her job was already gone and she had no money and is selling all her worldly possessions. 

I don't think Adam just agrees with Danielle. He was the one who was immediately for Hazel getting surgery, and she eventually came around. I think they're just different. My husband is able to make decisions quickly like that, and I need a lot more time to process. I think he was giving her her space to process, but ultimately she agreed that he was right about doing the surgery as soon as possible. 

He did give in about having people at the hospital, though. That fight kind of confused me. I think I was as tired, at that point, as they looked. It sounded like she wanted to have every Tom, Dick, and Harry there. But all I saw was Blake and the two grandmas - which I thought was pretty reasonable. Maybe others will show up later? 

Oh the Mimi situation is so obviously scripted. She didn't lose her job. She's moving in with them because more screen time equals more money. She isn't worried about jack squat. Selling stuff for 50 cents isn't paying a single bill. 

• Love 4

Did they ever say exactly what Mimi did/taught at the school, and how long she'd been at the same one? If she wasn't in a position to be tenured, I can easily believe she lost her job. My daughter's school let go several in the past few years who had been there quite some time, but weren't actual classroom teachers. They did aide work or worked with students on math, reading, etc. 

But I can also believe it's a ruse for the show to progress to her moving in.

I am normally not a huge fan of parents exploiting their kids on TV. I'm still reserving my judgment on the Busbys to see how far they take it.

24 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

But she lives outside Houston  Tx. There are a lot of schools  where if she could  not  get a permanent  job she could  sub. 

Well, she lives outside Houston now.  But the job she lost and the house she "had" to sell were in Lake Charles, Louisiana.

I have a feeling the producers helped them get a house, with the stipulation that "crazy" Mimi move in with them.  It's also a bit convenient that both sisters now live on the same street.  Are we supposed to believe it's all some wacky coincidence?

Hazel has the same condition that the actor Taylor Pruitt Vince has.  He played Gerry Schnauz on the X-Files episode "Unruhe".  He was the killer that walked on stilts, and gave people lobotomies with an ice pick.

I can't decide if I like this show or not. It seemed very scripted last night.  When the eye Dr. comes to tell them the surgery was fine, first they all gasp.

Mimi moves in with all this stuff and says more is on the way. Where they heck are they going to put her furniture or did she sell it all? I do think her moving in is for the drama. Wonder how much she gets paid to be on the show? That is why I don't feel that sorry for her when she says she is "unemployed".

Does anyone know about Danielle's dad?

It is interesting that homes are so cheap in Texas, that huge house they got for $500k seems really cheap compated to homes in my province.

A previous posted, said the tax records showed the sale price at $410k. 

5 hours ago, winsomeone said:

"Why would they?  She can see. "  At the first eye doctor visit, he told the parents Hazel will be legally blind when she is an adult. 

Legally blind does NOT mean she can't see.  She probably won't be able to drive a car, but she will see.

5 hours ago, fountain said:

I thought the doctor said she may be legally blind without the surgery?

The surgery was only to fix it so she didn't have to turn her head to the side.  It was to avoid neck problems.  Not to fix her vision.  What she has can't be fixed.