Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

(edited)
16 hours ago, druzy said:

This is an interesting article about the TLC show Kids by the Dozen.

My Family Was On A TLC Reality Show. Here’s The Dark Secret That Never Aired.

UGH. Chris Jeub is the WORST. I saw through his shit the first time TLC broadcast their KBD episode.  Jim Bob Duggar wannabe.  But even JB didn't kick his kids out for being "too expensive." 

I often wonder about the Arndts, another family from that Kids by the Dozen series. All those adult virgin boys still living at home. It was.....weird. 

Topic. I think about TLC families like the Arndts and Jeubs, any time I want to think badly about the Busby's.  They're NORMAL in comparison. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I often wonder about the Arndts, another family from that Kids by the Dozen series. All those adult virgin boys still living at home. It was.....weird. 

The Arndts have not changed much at all since the show.  The only big difference besides the kids all growing older, is that they started a wedding photography business that seems to be doing really well.  Rick (Dad) Ardnt was obsessed with creating a movie for nearly a decade, but up until recently he seems to be off that idea and has started daily prayer Facebook Live videos while he's driving around rural IL.  They bought a house down the road and a few of the older boys will be living there. Baby steps I guess. 

The Busby family is definitely normal compared to most Kids By the Dozen families. 

• Love 2
(edited)

It's so funny that Danielle doesn't realize Riley is her clone, and they both whine exactly the same way.   

Why are they encouraging the little kids to lean on windows?    That's so dangerous.

The Nemo Reef splash pad looks like fun.   Why are they pushing Blayke?    And why are Adam and Danielle saying they don't push her, and then nagging her about going on the Aquaduck anyway? 

Adam did discuss the job offer, and Danielle's only real objection was she refused to move to Dallas.    Instead, they'll make a lot more money, and Adam will go to Dallas a couple of times a month.     How does she think they can afford everything with only the sponsorships, and internet business?     And as the kids age, there will be fewer sponsors, and viewers for their online offerings, as other smaller kids from other families get more popular.   

Spoiler

I wonder if being part owner of the company is like the 'partners' in the cycle studio turned out to be?     

Who are they kidding about the mold house still being something they're moving back to?    It's obvious from their posted videos that they didn't move back, and they bought the big fancy house with the pool.   If they have half a brain between them, they'll pay the house off as quickly as they can, and then all they have are property taxes, and insurance, and the mortgage is gone. 

As much damage as the girls supposedly did the first couple of days in the house, it was probably cheaper to buy it than pay for damages.  I bet the walls that were damaged were going to be painted anyway, and I bet the rugs were going to be replaced too.  I suspect everything on this show now.  

Then put a ton into college funds, and funds for what they need to live.  Some day the gravy train will end with the girls. and there aren't going to be sponsors for everything.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3

I just love Riley. She reminds me so much of my daughter. I had triplets (2 boys and a girl) before fertility drugs made multiples so routine.  My three were a rarity. My daughter was just like Riley. Always misbehaving and easily frustrated. When the kids finally started kindergarten, she acted up in class at least once a week. In those days kids were routinely given IQ tests and we eventually learned she was extraordinarily gifted. Once adjustments were made to her curriculum, she was a different  child. At home, I tried to incorporate an extra challenge for her into routine activities. Today most schools have a gifted program so I have high hopes for Riley. I truly believe her behavior problems are mostly due to frustration and boredom. 

• Love 16

Adam took the supposedly new job. Danielle almost had a heart attack because he didn't ask her permission before saying yes or discussing it with her first. Her idea of discussion is to always be the one who decides what they will do. She would have said no and Adam knew it. Why is she afraid to have him leave the house..does he have a wandering eye or something? It's not like she doesn't have plenty of help with the girls.

• Love 13
On 7/30/2019 at 11:05 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

UGH. Chris Jeub is the WORST. I saw through his shit the first time TLC broadcast their KBD episode.  Jim Bob Duggar wannabe.  But even JB didn't kick his kids out for being "too expensive." 

Topic. I think about TLC families like the Arndts and Jeubs, any time I want to think badly about the Busby's.  They're NORMAL in comparison. 

That article is more about the Quiverfull movement itself (of which the Duggars are part) than about being on a reality show itself.  

I recognize that things are scripted or manipulated to a sizable degree, but I don't get a Quiverfull or Christofascist Zombie Brigade vibe from the Busbys, and my radar on all things CZB is pretty good.  Yes, they're active in their church and they are what politicians used to call "people of faith" before so many of them got nailed for having affairs and child molestation, but not in a pathological way.  Yes, Adam went to a pastor first when he went through his depression, but that's not unusual.

Yes, they DO have a tendency to think that God is some kind of cosmic puppeteer that micromanages their lives and wants them to be on a reality show, but they're not creepy.  I think the money helps, they know that their kids are adorable, and that they make good television.  They are very media-savvy.  My only beef with them is the way they deal with Parker and Riley's quirks.   Parker is shy and Riley is hyperemotional, but that doesn't mean they're pathological...and that they are already making Riley into the Designated Family S#!+head (every family has one) is troubling.  

I suspect they went into IVF figuring one or two would "take", and with their religion, "reduction" was unthinkable.  And then...twinning.

• Love 3
(edited)
5 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Adam took the supposedly new job. Danielle almost had a heart attack because he didn't ask her permission before saying yes or discussing it with her first. Her idea of discussion is to always be the one who decides what they will do. She would have said no and Adam knew it. Why is she afraid to have him leave the house..does he have a wandering eye or something? It's not like she doesn't have plenty of help with the girls.

I don't know exactly what she needs help with to justify  Adam being home 24x7x52. The girls are almost 4 , can feed themselves and are fully potty trained.  should Adam be working so much that he can't play with the girls,  do a couple of loads of laundry,  cook/pickup dinner- no, but surely he can leave the house, for work.

Part of me was thinking Danielle was jealous - she agreed  to give up the cycle  studio which was her "getaway". Now she has no where to run too. Not to mention she left her career in (____ ? __) to go on bedrest and have 5 babies.

Danielle needs to talk to a mom whose baby-daddy/husband isn't (or won't) working or has very little job-ethic ambition. Bet she'll change her whining real quick.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 7
On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:48 PM, druzy said:

Some parents teach their kids manners and some don't. I appreciate the parents that do. 

The rudest children I ever saw were in Germany!  But I do find most children to be rude these days. Running around, never saying sorry or please and thank you! Just straight up hellions!

• Love 4

I know we only see what's filmed and shown but it appears that Parker, when she notices that the cameras are filming what she's doing, shys away & clams up. What if she doesn't want to be a part of the filming for tv anymore, does she have that option?? Cara Gosselin clammed up pretty early, not quite as early as Parker. What if the kids don't want to do this, then both Danielle & Adam will have to go back to work, how would she (Danielle) handle that?? I've only watched a couple of epi in the last year or so, can't handle either one of the parent.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Adam took the supposedly new job. Danielle almost had a heart attack because he didn't ask her permission before saying yes or discussing it with her first.

Really?  You think it's weird that she wanted him to at least talk to her before saying yes?  I would have been livid if my husband did that.  I get when you step back and look at the information that she probably would have been onboard, but spouses should NEVER make decisions like that without agreeing.  Adam should have told her about the offer before saying yes.

• Love 5
On 7/29/2019 at 3:29 AM, Honey said:

Kind of a stretch....but okay.

How is it a stretch when it's true?  They couldn't have afforded these many vacations without exploiting their children for money.  The show is about the kids and the parents are on vacation because of the show.  I don't see a stretch at all.  

• Love 11

I don't quite understand why so many people are adamant that Parker couldn't possibly have anxiety.  I get what people are saying about maybe she's shy or maybe she's an introvert, but that's not what the preschool teacher ways saying at all.  She specifically mentioned testing anxiety, and it's probably a good idea to at least consider it and ask a child psychologist for an evaluation.  I was honestly upset that Danielle's initial reaction was that Parker would probably grow out of it.  That's possible, but it doesn't hurt to have an evaluation.  Also, having an evaluation will give you an expert look at what's going on now and give you something to compare it to in a few years to see if there is really something that needs to be addressed.  Good for them for following up!

I'm a bit sensitive to this because I have a 10 year old on the Autism Spectrum.  We knew something was wrong when he was 3 years old.  Most other parents tried to reassure us and tell us that he would just "grow out of it," while the speech therapist and occupational therapist both said, "Well, I'm not a diagnostician, but I think he's on the Autism Spectrum."  When a teacher or expert in the field tells you that they think your child has an extra challenge, there is nothing to lose by having an evaluation done.  Thank goodness we didn't listen to the other parents.  Because we sought the experts, our child is doing so much better and is continuing to improve (to the extent that he can).  If we had just stuck with the thought that he would grow out of it, we would now be on an uphill climb trying to help him.

Early detection is the best.

• Love 17

I did a little internet snooping last night looking for some info on whether Mimi is really a real estate agent in Texas as the show made us believe. While I was snooping I did find out that she had been a kindergarten teacher in Louisiana before her contract wasn't renewed. She is actually a real estate agent for Keller Williams Agency. I looked for how many houses she has sold but only found 1. And that one is the house Adam and Danielle were leasing on the show while the mold house was fixed. Adam and Danielle bought the house for $510,000. The sale date was 2/22/2019 which meant it was sold to them a couple months before last night's episode was probably even filmed. So it is definitely all scripted for Mimi to come late from work to pull Danielle and Adam aside to tell them the owner just wants to sell the house and they both freak out about whatever will they do now. They moved into the leased house at Thanksgiving and said last night they had been there 4 months. So they had already bought the house a month before. Any last hopes I had that reality tv isn't all scripted is gone now but I'm sure I will still continue to watch as I always do.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
(edited)
5 hours ago, HotFlashMama said:

I did a little internet snooping last night looking for some info on whether Mimi is really a real estate agent in Texas as the show made us believe. While I was snooping I did find out that she had been a kindergarten teacher in Louisiana before her contract wasn't renewed. She is actually a real estate agent for Keller Williams Agency. I looked for how many houses she has sold but only found 1. And that one is the house Adam and Danielle were leasing on the show while the mold house was fixed. Adam and Danielle bought the house for $510,000. The sale date was 2/22/2019 which meant it was sold to them a couple months before last night's episode was probably even filmed. So it is definitely all scripted for Mimi to come late from work to pull Danielle and Adam aside to tell them the owner just wants to sell the house and they both freak out about whatever will they do now. They moved into the leased house at Thanksgiving and said last night they had been there 4 months. So they had already bought the house a month before. Any last hopes I had that reality tv isn't all scripted is gone now but I'm sure I will still continue to watch as I always do.

Welcome to the board! We discussed this upthread and you are not alone in thinking this is mostly scripted. However, I think I'll continue to watch too, the kids are adorable. 

Edited by druzy
  • Love 4
On 6/13/2019 at 6:27 PM, sATL said:

Re: the previews- I vote "the job offer to move to Dallas" is all for show. First if all Adam was too hell-bent on "working for himself" and "not missing the girls life events" . Give that up for a 8-5....hmmmm

Secondly - he knows the woman he married. Danielle is very co-dependent on her sisters before the qunits, and more so now. We didn't hear much from Mimi last episode but she most likely she's one step away from needing her girls to take care of her.

The only way Danielle will move if history repeats itself by the BIL Nick , who was the owner of the previous company , gets a position (most likely a step up) and then hires Adam and Dale. That sounds like how they all wound up in Houston. And mimi will raise all kinds of whining but will soon follow.

@sATL are you the show's storyline producer because you posted this after the first episode and predicted the outcome perfectly. So what numbers do you think I should play for tomorrow nights Lotto 😁 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, druzy said:

Welcome to the board! We discussed this upthread and you are not alone in thinking this is mostly scripted. However, I think I'll continue to watch too, the kids are adorable. 

Thanks Druzy! I try to keep up with the board but haven't posted until now. I agree with you that the kids are adorable. I get sucked into all these shows with multiples because of the cute factor. It irritates me how scripted it all is though.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

I don't quite understand why so many people are adamant that Parker couldn't possibly have anxiety.  I get what people are saying about maybe she's shy or maybe she's an introvert, but that's not what the preschool teacher ways saying at all.  She specifically mentioned testing anxiety, and it's probably a good idea to at least consider it and ask a child psychologist for an evaluation.  I was honestly upset that Danielle's initial reaction was that Parker would probably grow out of it.  That's possible, but it doesn't hurt to have an evaluation.  Also, having an evaluation will give you an expert look at what's going on now and give you something to compare it to in a few years to see if there is really something that needs to be addressed.  Good for them for following up!

I'm a bit sensitive to this because I have a 10 year old on the Autism Spectrum.  We knew something was wrong when he was 3 years old.  Most other parents tried to reassure us and tell us that he would just "grow out of it," while the speech therapist and occupational therapist both said, "Well, I'm not a diagnostician, but I think he's on the Autism Spectrum."  When a teacher or expert in the field tells you that they think your child has an extra challenge, there is nothing to lose by having an evaluation done.  Thank goodness we didn't listen to the other parents.  Because we sought the experts, our child is doing so much better and is continuing to improve (to the extent that he can).  If we had just stuck with the thought that he would grow out of it, we would now be on an uphill climb trying to help him.

Early detection is the best.

I've been avoiding this board lately for this exact reason. I've struggled with anxiety all my life. Identifying it earlier would have been enormously helpful. It's not something to be ashamed of, and I don't think Adam and Danielle are treating it as anything shameful.

• Love 6

It's good to get Parker evaluated, and get Hazel's eye check ups, but I dislike that either child's situation is shown on camera the way it is.   I also don't like that something that should have been private, like discussing Parker, is filmed and shown and discussed as a plot line.     Get Parker evaluated, but don't have every second of analyzing her be some huge red flag for the cameras.    I think with Hazel they should just say she went for the appointment, and that she only needs a prescription change for now.      I have the feeling that the girls may not like having their entire childhood documented for the cameras when they grow up.     

• Love 13
2 hours ago, HotFlashMama said:

I did a little internet snooping last night looking for some info on whether Mimi is really a real estate agent in Texas as the show made us believe. While I was snooping I did find out that she had been a kindergarten teacher in Louisiana before her contract wasn't  renewed...

Kindergarten!!! I really wish the details would come out behind a lack of contract renewal...after 20+ years???

I guess I was expecting a higher grade (like 3rd) where the students are given standardized tests..and her class(es) didn't score well.

And she only could teach kindergarten..no other grades she applied for??

• Love 1
Spoiler

From what I read on here, and elsewhere, Mimi wasn't working in a public school, and never was certified to teach.   Why she couldn't get the certification accomplished over those many years is beyond me, because she supposedly has a 4 year degree.    Or if she taught in a private or church school, they don't require certifications, at least any where I've lived.     It could also be the entire job loss story line was just that, and she wanted to move to League City, with her family.    Plus, the Lake Charles house had flooded twice, so maybe she just wanted to get out of there, and closer to her children.     

And Danielle and Adam used to live down the street from Dale and Crystal (hope I have the right couple together), because they talked about it constantly.   Now they live in the same subdivision as Nick and Ashley.   I really wonder if Dale and Crystal's house is OK, or one of the many mold afflicted houses in that subdivision?      I wish the show would stop doing silly things like messing with timelines.    They should just be honest, and not try to make  things that will be mentioned in local articles, into a long drawn out fake story line.    

They announced today that the show will be back in October, don't know if it will be a full season, and one of the split seasons that some shows are so fond of doing.   

I wish they would just film things as they happen, and stop trying to make everything into a long, drawn out story line that doesn't match reality.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 6
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Adam did discuss the job offer, and Danielle's only real objection was she refused to move to Dallas.    Instead, they'll make a lot more money, and Adam will go to Dallas a couple of times a month.     How does she think they can afford everything with only the sponsorships, and internet business?    

I'm wondering how much money from the tee-shirts she had her 3-year-olds design for her (Blake being conspicuously absent again) went to charity and how much went to their personal account. She is going to exploit her litter for financial gain as long as she can get away with it.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Do we really know what happened with the cycle studio?

I think it was another storyline. Some of her friends probably went into business together and it was used as a storyline (that included Danielle and Adam as co-owners) in exchange for the publicity. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, sATL said:

Kindergarten!!! I really wish the details would come out behind a lack of contract renewal...after 20+ years???

I guess I was expecting a higher grade (like 3rd) where the students are given standardized tests..and her class(es) didn't score well.

And she only could teach kindergarten..no other grades she applied for??

The only thing I believe about Mimi's story is that her home and the other home she lived in flooded and that she is a real estate salesperson. I no longer believe she was living with them and Adam's frustration with her was fake. She was acting when she hung her bras to dry. I don't think she went missing and I don't think she ever worked for that school.

Where's Danielle's father? Is he in jail? Does he have another family? Is he in contact with the family? Adam once mentioned that Danielle's father helped calm him when he was anxious about feeding the girls or something like that. 

If you rewatch any of the episodes take a look at Danielle's nail polish. It changes several times in the course of a day. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

It's good to get Parker evaluated, and get Hazel's eye check ups, but I dislike that either child's situation is shown on camera the way it is.   I also don't like that something that should have been private, like discussing Parker, is filmed and shown and discussed as a plot line.     Get Parker evaluated, but don't have every second of analyzing her be some huge red flag for the cameras.    I think with Hazel they should just say she went for the appointment, and that she only needs a prescription change for now.      I have the feeling that the girls may not like having their entire childhood documented for the cameras when they grow up.     

yeah - esp. if they plan on sending the quints into regular public school ;which would be this fall, 2019-4yr old kindergarten, right ?.

Not to uplift bullying/teasing, but other kids will say something unflattering and at first unknowingly, that the quints probably don't want to be repeated or said in their presence at school. Some outspoken classmate can easily say " Hazel do your eyes really move back and forth" ? "Parker - do you hide under your bed and cry at gymnastics" ?

Even their nicknames (Lu-Lu, Ri-Ri) can be turned into a playground sing-song, in jest but will be seen as teasing by others.

And then let someone else call Riley "B-A-D"... the 1st word she learned to spell..

My DVR recorded the Q&A this morning...hmmm

• Love 5
14 hours ago, druzy said:

The only thing I believe about Mimi's story is that her home and the other home she lived in flooded and that she is a real estate salesperson. I no longer believe she was living with them and Adam's frustration with her was fake. She was acting when she hung her bras to dry. I don't think she went missing and I don't think she ever worked for that school.

Where's Danielle's father? Is he in jail? Does he have another family? Is he in contact with the family? Adam once mentioned that Danielle's father helped calm him when he was anxious about feeding the girls or something like that. 

If you rewatch any of the episodes take a look at Danielle's nail polish. It changes several times in the course of a day. 

ok I will be the 1st to admit. My bras go into the dryer. I don't wear the puffy kind that Mimi was hanging though. I never lost one due to the dryer.

I missed the reference to Danielle's father when it aired. I'll admit - they all have done a good job in keeping his name/memory out of the show and backstory. That's kinda sad - no matter what the truth is or was went down b/w their father and Mimi. The 3 girls (Danielle, Ashley and Crystal) are grown responsible women & mothers, now. 

And if he is deceased - that is really sad they didn't at least say something. Danielle sometimes mentions about her growing up around extended family but she doesn't mention the man who contributed to her existence ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I get what you're saying, because the children's privacy doesn't really exist when you chose to have your lives filmed.  Then again, it's very brave of them to put this out there for all the world to see, and it can be life changing for many other parents. 

Too many people worry about their child being "labeled" and chose not to seek help.  By being open about their struggles, they are actually showing parents not to be afraid of labels and to talk to their doctors about things that they noticed.  As a parent, it's good to know that sometimes those "quirks" don't have to define your child, and they don't have to be challenges that your child can never overcome.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I had the Disney episode on this morning, when Dale & Nick were talking about the job, Dallas & what not, it went through my mind if those 2 got job offers they'd pack up their family in a minute and move. Then what is she gonna do, pack her family up and tag along?? 

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I had the Disney episode on this morning, when Dale & Nick were talking about the job, Dallas & what not, it went through my mind if those 2 got job offers they'd pack up their family in a minute and move. Then what is she gonna do, pack her family up and tag along?? 

Yep.. Ashley, Crystal, Danielle and Mimi are a set.

I think the hubbies knew this when they married into the family.

• Useful 1
11 hours ago, sATL said:

I missed the reference to Danielle's father when it aired. I'll admit - they all have done a good job in keeping his name/memory out of the show and backstory. That's kinda sad - no matter what the truth is or was went down b/w their father and Mimi.

Because we have no idea what "went down," I don't think anyone here is qualified to say how Mimi and her daughters should think or feel about their husband/dad. It could be anything from estrangement over time, to an affair, to abuse (emotional and/or physical), to who knows what. We are not entitled to this information and, IMHO, should be very cautious in making any assumptions. Unless you've walked in their shoes, there is no way to know if a "let bygones be bygones" philosophy is at all appropriate under their circumstances. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, sATL said:

Not to uplift bullying/teasing, but other kids will say something unflattering and at first unknowingly, that the quints probably don't want to be repeated or said in their presence at school. Some outspoken classmate can easily say " Hazel do your eyes really move back and forth" ? "Parker - do you hide under your bed and cry at gymnastics" ?

The girl who played Cindy on The Brady Bunch said she was bullied endlessly at school for being a tattle-tale because kids didn't understand the difference between her and the fictional character she played.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, Blindfox said:

I’m also bothered by this family constantly labeling their kids. I love the kids, but I’m so-so on the parents. So now Riley is the “whiny one” who is always throwing tantrums, which we did see tonight. This behavior seemed to come out of nowhere. Riley is a sharp cookie and I’m betting she saw Parker getting all kinds of attention for being “anxious” and decided to act out, too. As for Parker’s anxiety, she just seems shy. I can’t see how people constantly fussing over her about it is helping in any way. 

Several years ago when all the attention was on Hazel, Ava and Olivia, I said Riley and Parker were going to develop issues because they didn't need to be constantly made aware of eye problems and they weren't identical. It actually happened a lot sooner than I expected.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, HotFlashMama said:

Adam and Danielle bought the house for $510,000. The sale date was 2/22/2019 which meant it was sold to them a couple months before last night's episode was probably even filmed. 

Their TLC income is the only way they could have qualified for that mortgage. With six kids, no other real jobs and the existing mortgage on the moldy house, most lenders would consider them to be a pretty bad risk.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

I know we only see what's filmed and shown but it appears that Parker, when she notices that the cameras are filming what she's doing, shys away & clams up. What if she doesn't want to be a part of the filming for tv anymore, does she have that option?? Cara Gosselin clammed up pretty early, not quite as early as Parker. What if the kids don't want to do this, then both Danielle & Adam will have to go back to work, how would she (Danielle) handle that?? I've only watched a couple of epi in the last year or so, can't handle either one of the parent.

According to that article @druzy posted a few pages back, the only thing that'll make them stop filming would be if people would stop watching.  I had a little respect for this family that was left after all the famewhoring and endless vacations, but it's gone now.  Maybe part of Parkers anxiety comes from the cameras.  I'm a huge introvert and I'd hate it if cameras were following me all the time.  On the Q&A, they showed Parker on the toilet and they're telling her to push to poop and she let out a giant fart.  I'd be so embarrassed if this was on TV, kids or not.  I've got boys so I'm used to farts being funny, but there are endless shots of these kids on the toilet...naked.  I know we can't see, but what about the camera person? 

• Love 7

Is it me, or does Dale exist only for two situations:

a - to say "Whut?" followed by a dramatic pause when Danielle or Adam mentions something, in order to prompt them to spill more, and

b - to say "Whut're y'all going to do about [Hazel's eyes][the mold house][other tragic issue d'jour] followed by a dramatic pause in order to prompt them to spill more?

Also, do he and his wife attend events only to be extra hand holders/wranglers of the quints, thus not engaging with their OWN children at these events?  How do their kids feel that they are always second class citizens at fun activities because their parents' role is to engage with someone else's kids?

• Love 6
3 hours ago, janey99 said:

Is it me, or does Dale exist only for two situations:

a - to say "Whut?" followed by a dramatic pause when Danielle or Adam mentions something, in order to prompt them to spill more, and

b - to say "Whut're y'all going to do about [Hazel's eyes][the mold house][other tragic issue d'jour] followed by a dramatic pause in order to prompt them to spill more?

Also, do he and his wife attend events only to be extra hand holders/wranglers of the quints, thus not engaging with their OWN children at these events?  How do their kids feel that they are always second class citizens at fun activities because their parents' role is to engage with someone else's kids?

Did Dale's or Nick's children say anything on camera during the Disney eposide?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, freebie said:

Because we have no idea what "went down," I don't think anyone here is qualified to say how Mimi and her daughters should think or feel about their husband/dad. It could be anything from estrangement over time, to an affair, to abuse (emotional and/or physical), to who knows what. We are not entitled to this information and, IMHO, should be very cautious in making any assumptions. Unless you've walked in their shoes, there is no way to know if a "let bygones be bygones" philosophy is at all appropriate under their circumstances. 

I'm not qualified to say how Mimi and her daughters should think or feel about their husband/dad nor am I saying that they should feel a certain way. I was just wondering where he was and thinking about the endless reasons why he isn't mentioned. It's normal to question where a husband/dad is in such a close-knit family. I'm definitely not entitled to this information nor did I say I was. However, I am entitled to speculate and snark.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, sATL said:

Did Dale's or Nick's children say anything on camera during the Disney eposide?

I don't remember any of the other kids talking on camera. I remember one of the boys running into Donald Duck's arms when he saw him walking on the beach. It melted my heart. I felt bad for the other kids when that turtle was talking to all the girls and Adam and Danielle and they were just watching.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Their TLC income is the only way they could have qualified for that mortgage. With six kids, no other real jobs and the existing mortgage on the moldy house, most lenders would consider them to be a pretty bad risk.

Thanks to TLC they can afford their school. The early childhood prep school they attended when they were 3 was $125 per kid per week if they went 2 times a week (Tuesday, Thursday) so that was $30,000.00 per year for all of them if my math is correct. Next year it will be $44,400.00. I wonder if they get a discount in exchange for publicity. 

I think it's good that they talk about Hazel's eye issues on the show.  I'd never heard of her condition before and it might be helpful to other families.  But I don't like that they talk about some of the girls -- "bad" Riley or "anxious" Parker -- in a negative way.  There's a difference between a physical issue that is obvious and that the child has no control over and labeling their kids negatively for all the world to see.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, druzy said:

I'm not qualified to say how Mimi and her daughters should think or feel about their husband/dad nor am I saying that they should feel a certain way. I was just wondering where he was and thinking about the endless reasons why he isn't mentioned. It's normal to question where a husband/dad is in such a close-knit family. I'm definitely not entitled to this information nor did I say I was. However, I am entitled to speculate and snark.

Glad to see you edited your post. I don't have an issue with speculating or snarking, but the unusual silence on the topic of the husband/father suggests to me that it's a serious matter. Forgiving/moving on, the response you seemed to be promoting in your original post, is just one way of dealing with a rift in a family. All I was trying to say was that *not* forgiving is an equally valid response.

33 minutes ago, freebie said:

Glad to see you edited your post. I don't have an issue with speculating or snarking, but the unusual silence on the topic of the husband/father suggests to me that it's a serious matter. Forgiving/moving on, the response you seemed to be promoting in your original post, is just one way of dealing with a rift in a family. All I was trying to say was that *not* forgiving is an equally valid response.

What post did I edit?

4 hours ago, camom said:

I think it's good that they talk about Hazel's eye issues on the show.  I'd never heard of her condition before and it might be helpful to other families.  But I don't like that they talk about some of the girls -- "bad" Riley or "anxious" Parker -- in a negative way.  There's a difference between a physical issue that is obvious and that the child has no control over and labeling their kids negatively for all the world to see.

Anxiety is a real thing.  It's not a physical issue, but that doesn't make it any less of a challenge for the child and parents.  If Parker really does have anxiety, it should be addressed.  I think they are handling that very well.

I don't think they are calling Riley "bad" at all.  She seems to be going through "terrible 3's" stage that most kids go through.  Maybe she's a bit "more" than the other kids, but it's really common for 3 year olds to be whiny.  I think it's just a lot, and it's not an easy situation for the parents.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

althoI don't think they are calling Riley "bad" at all.  She seems to be going through "terrible 3's" stage that most kids go through.  Maybe she's a bit "more" than the other kids, but it's really common for 3 year olds to be whiny.  I think it's just a lot, and it's not an easy situation for the parents.

They, particularly Danielle, have literally referred to Riley as "bad" and "the bad one."  Dale has explicitly said it as well.  That magazine article is one example and on the actual show as well.  And even if they weren't using that specific word, Riley, as has been shown, isn't stupid.  All their "hint, hint, wink, wink" about Riley's behavior and how Danielle is always sarcastically "Oh, Riley" or "Riley's just being Riley."  Riley either will watch this footage and figure it out or she'll figure it out if they continue to treat her this way.  Even at the end of the Question and Answer show when they all got up off the couch and were walking off, they are yelling at Riley.  It's a punchline for the show now.  Except there's a very real, very smart little child on the other end.

Danielle is worse than Adam to me about Riley.  Her behavior towards Riley when they were traveling to the Disney cruise was kind of gross in my opinion.  She had already explained that Riley had been woken up in the middle of the night by the twins coming into her room, so it wasn't as if she was acting out just because.  I think it was after their flight when they got to Orlando and Riley was whining when Danielle says to her child, who she knows is tired and cranky, that she is going to have to go somewhere else, w/ Taylor or whoever else she named and that she couldn't stay with her acting like that.  Danielle was way too harsh in her words, demeanor, and tone in that moment.  It was striking because she would NEVER talk to any of her other kids like that.  And in one of her voiceovers Danielle says something like, paraphrasing, "me and Riley just don't click."  How is Riley going to feel hearing her mother say that about her and only her.  Yeah, parents get frustrated and say things they don't really mean (although I think she totally meant it since this isn't the first time she's said it), but this is why they need to get these girls off TV.

Edited by KBrownie
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, druzy said:

What post did I edit?

Apologies! The post I was reacting to was edited. I read your post as a follow-on to that post and assumed the two posts were written by the same person. Sorry for any confusion. 

Edited by freebie
Corrected misspelling of "was"
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, KBrownie said:

They, particularly Danielle, have literally referred to Riley as "bad" and "the bad one."  Dale has explicitly said it as well.  That magazine article is one example and on the actual show as well.  And even if they weren't using that specific word, Riley, as has been shown, isn't stupid.  All their "hint, hint, wink, wink" about Riley's behavior and how Danielle is always sarcastically "Oh, Riley" or "Riley's just being Riley."  Riley either will watch this footage and figure it out or she'll figure it out if they continue to treat her this way.  Even at the end of the Question and Answer show when they all got up off the couch and were walking off, they are yelling at Riley.  It's a punchline for the show now.  Except there's a very real, very smart little child on the other end.

Danielle is worse than Adam to me about Riley.  Her behavior towards Riley when they were traveling to the Disney cruise was kind of gross in my opinion.  She had already explained that Riley had been woken up in the middle of the night by the twins coming into her room, so it wasn't as if she was acting out just because.  I think it was after their flight when they got to Orlando and Riley was whining when Danielle says to her child, who she knows is tired and cranky, that she is going to have to go somewhere else, w/ Taylor or whoever else she named and that she couldn't stay with her acting like that.  Danielle was way too harsh in her words, demeanor, and tone in that moment.  It was striking because she would NEVER talk to any of her other kids like that.  And in one of her voiceovers Danielle says something like, paraphrasing, "me and Riley just don't click."  How is Riley going to feel hearing her mother say that about her and only her.  Yeah, parents get frustrated and say things they don't really mean (although I think she totally meant it since this isn't the first time she's said it), but this is why they need to get these girls off TV.

the same way Collin Gosselin reacted to Kate...Danielle is exhibiting a lot of Kate in my opinion & the way she talks to Adam is a lot of how Kate did Jon. What is up with these women not wanting their husbands to work. 

• Love 7
On 7/31/2019 at 2:25 PM, Ziggy said:

Really?  You think it's weird that she wanted him to at least talk to her before saying yes?  I would have been livid if my husband did that.  I get when you step back and look at the information that she probably would have been onboard, but spouses should NEVER make decisions like that without agreeing.  Adam should have told her about the offer before saying yes.

Agreed.  My husband quit TWO jobs without telling me and without having a plan.  In the second case, it was to take a computer programming class, which we HAD discussed but had not come to a conclusion.  And then I found out from his department's secretary congratulating me on him going back to school.