Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E16: Winner Chosen

• Start Topic

Episode synopsis: The top two finalists create hot and cold appetizers and main entrees for a panel of esteemed judges; the winner of the challenge gets first pick of the returning contestants who assist with the final dinner service; the winner is announced.

I'm glad Arielle won.  I dunno - Kristin rubs me the wrong way (too cocky?).  I could not believe that that stupid Danni walked off/walked away and left her team hanging.  Then she had the nerve to show up again after the fact when the winner was chosen?  WTF.  

• Love 10

I was happy that Ariel won also.  She has more poise than Kristin and a lot more class.  So far, the only HK winner I've actually liked has been Scott from three or four years ago.  I hope Ariel becomes #2. 

I didn't like Manda or Jackie but I have to give them both credit for good attitudes and good behavior while helping in the finale.  Frank and Dannie were just as bad as they always were.  I guess neither of them were smart enough to figure out that their bad behavior on national television wasn't the best possible career move.

• Love 8

And did anyone notice chef "Cliff" (former contestant from "Top Chef" who got kicked off the show for man-handling fellow contestant Marcel)?  Cliff was one of the chefs that judged dishes in the beginning of the episode.

I was actually glad that the final episode didn't drag out for 3 hours.

• Love 4

Well that was kind of mediocre for me.  I wasn't in love with either of them and I'm usually rooting for someone in the finale.  I didn't think Kristin was cocky, just goofy really.  I didn't see Ariel as a particularly positive person with a positive attitude.  I think a lot was done in the editing to make her look as good as they could.  Just my hunch there.  Her facial expressions and even her reaction upon winning felt kind of anticlimactic.  She even reacted like nothing positive ever happens to her and now she can finally have a good life, like in general she's got a defeatist attitude about her life and this will make it all better.  Which is not exactly the attitude I'd like to see in a winner, but whatever.

• Love 8

I was happy either way as I thought they both did very well with their final dishes. My head was spinning along with everyone else's when Ariel was going over her menu with her team. 

Dannie will never, ever again be asked to be on a TV cooking competition, or maybe even hired for a job. That was so unprofessional. She said something to the effect of "I didn't ask to come back." Well, when Ramsay or production offered you the opportunity, why didn't you just say no?

• Love 10

Poor, stupid Jarred. You messed up your friendship with Ashley to take Kristen out for a day.  Kristen didn't want him to cause drama on her team so he got picked dead last.  I think Ariel chose Jackie first to boost her ego, same with Kristen choosing Frank early on.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Her facial expressions and even her reaction upon winning felt kind of anticlimactic.  She even reacted like nothing positive ever happens to her and now she can finally have a good life, like in general she's got a defeatist attitude about her life and this will make it all better.  Which is not exactly the attitude I'd like to see in a winner, but whatever.

Other than the drama that Jackie and Frank brought, I didn't find this season that exciting.  However, Ariel did stick out early on for me as someone to watch.  Sure, she didn't smile much and she may have appeared 'over confident' to some, but I think it's part of how she protects herself.  She may very well have had a tough life.  Why would she make that up?  It's my hope, though, that she will take this opportunity and run with it....OWN it, as Christina has.  Congratulations to Ariel!  

• Love 3

Second year in a row in which my favourite has come runner up…

I really wanted Kristin to win from fairly early on, and I still think she deserved to, but I will admit that Ariel had much better control at the pass. She was loud and dominant, and even when Dannie walked out, she used that to her advantage. But did anyone else think that Kristin seemed on the verge of tears at one point? She looked as if she was about to just break down, and maybe that’s why she didn’t win. She wasn’t ready to take control, even if she was the better chef. Plus, her team screwed her on pretty much every given occasion. At least Jackie actually wanted to work with Ariel, it didn’t seem like Ashley or Frank did.

I think it was in two halves - Kristin was the better individual cook. She excelled in challenges and was good when running the pass. But Ariel was the better line cook. She was stronger in service, overall, and even though she was overbearing, I think Ramsay liked that about her. Overall, Kristin's the kind of chef who would run service herself, and would take over from her team if they messed up, though Ariel's the kind of chef who can make her team better if they mess up. They're on par with cooking ability, though Ariel's a natural leader, and that's what Ramsay saw in her.

I predicted team choices last week and they were surprisingly accurate. I got three out of four right on each team and predicted Dannie would walk out. Strange, huh? Did anyone else find the team choices a little strange, though? Like how Ariel picked Jackie first? I mean, I know Jared and Dannie were going downhill towards the end, but Jackie was in reverse from the beginning. Maybe it's because she was being smart, and she knew Jackie was going to be picked last otherwise and would probably be mopey if she was, so she at least made sure to get her early to get her on her side. And Ashley obviously held a grudge against Kristin, which felt a little immature.

This season was more interesting than the last one, mostly because we didn’t all know who the winner was from episode one. Kristin had more of a “slowly progressing” edit, which made me erroneously believe she’d win, though Ariel was consistent, even if I don’t really like her personality.

Oh, and I know this is unrelated, but I have a strong suspicion that Frank is voting Trump.

Apologies for the long post, guys. I'm just a little heartbroken that Kristin lost :(

Edited by hkalex
  • Love 7

As much as a child Danny was, at least she told Jackie to watch the food when she walked out?

I knew Frank would fail because God forbid he work for a woman. 

I didn't know which way it would go - they always talked about how great Kristen was with steak but Ariel was always very much in control of the cooks in her kitchen. Kristen often got a bit screechy and snappy. I would have been fine with either winning though.

• Love 4

I think Dannie walked out not because she wanted to sabotage Ariel, but because she was annoyed that she had to come back and work and she felt like she was getting yelled at for helping - even if it was completely the wrong thing to do.

Lots of contestants this year actually reminded me of past contestants, like Sherkenna and Eddie remind me of Jen and Ben from season four respectively.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Major Bigtime said:

Ariel said in one of her THs "I'm never white enough, never Jewish enough, never black enough...." referring to her school years, I think. Is she adopted? What is her story, does anyone know?

No, she's half Jewish and half Black.  I can relate to her issues myself being half Italian and 1/4 Jewish, 1/4 French, English and German.  Plus I was raised a Protestant.  Although I am a lot older than she is I grew up in a very Jewish/Catholic neighborhood in New York.  Being part anything back then was not the norm and I often felt the same way as Ariel.  That was the only time I actually sympathized with her, actually.  It's tough being accepted by any ethnic group when you are a "mutt".  You are always different no matter who you hang with, and kids are cruel, they'll treat you like an outsider.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, DropTheSoap said:

Given the edits, rather surprised that it was Ariel. She did well...even with Danie's disappearing job. (Whoever called that last week was right on.)

That would be me...:D

• Love 4

I thought Kristin would win but am not shocked it was Ariel. She handled the issues on her side really well, like Dannie walking out and Jackie cutting the fish. I think the contestants who can handle problems during their service are the ones who typically win, as opposed to those who have a perfect service with little to no problems or drama, because it shows they can handle it. It was a really close final 2 though, I think either could have won. 

I wonder if production told Dannie to make a scene and walk out. 

Ariel chose Jackie first because they were friends throughout the season. 

I liked the scenes at the end of the contestants dancing. It was nice to see some lighthearted moments. Wish they'd show more of the contestants goofing off and having fun during the season instead of all the fights and drama. I imagine HK is a challenging experience but also a fun one. I remember in older seasons they would show funny things that happened in a blooper reel at the end of the season and wish they would bring it back. The show has become too dramatic sometimes and showing these funny, light moments makes it a bit more human again and fun. 

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 4

I'm happy Ariel won.  I've liked her from the start but both her and Kristin were the best final two in a long time so I am glad for that.  Dannie didn't want to be there.  Ok fine but you were what 'contractually obligated' to be there.  You can't stick it out and had to leave like a baby.  That's what she was ...a baby.  Gordon didn't even yell at her.  It's a big night and you send out raw meat.  She shouldn't have been there at the end either.  If you are going to leave then leave. Why were you there at the end you did nothing to help.  Wow Jackie surprised me in the finale.  I thought for sure she would have messed up cooking things. 

• Love 5

I kind of hate how they are forced to use their former enemies as their "brigade". That has sabotage written all over it  imo But DRAMA~!

Also, why does this show use plate chargers from the dollar store? Yes, I shop there.

• Love 1
Just now, ari333 said:

I don't understand how someone can be half Jewish, but another person is not half Catholic   or half Mormon or half Muslim etc

Good point.  You're either Jewish or you're not.  I was distracted by how much Ariel and her sister did not look alike.

That was a pretty boring finale.  Ariel predictably won.  Frank was a dick.  Dannie was useless.  No real surprises.

• Love 3

Im half Methodist. :-)

....like it's a race.

Ariel was reading those menu items so fast I couldn't keep up. It seems it'd have been better to slow it down so everyone could write it. But she won, so there's that.

Shocker that Frank was an ass

I cant understand the appeal of duck. I had it once and that was enough.

Hee. Bring back a bunch of folks with revenge in their hearts. Excellent.

• Love 3

Totally trivial here, but when Ariel & Kristen were standing together waiting for the verdict, their otherwise identical chef jackets buttoned on different sides.  Is there a reason for that? (Gordon hasn't sent me mine yet * taps foot*)

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Totally trivial here, but when Ariel & Kristen were standing together waiting for the verdict, their otherwise identical chef jackets buttoned on different sides.  Is there a reason for that? (Gordon hasn't sent me mine yet * taps foot*)

Wow. Good catch . I didnt' notice that.

Mine has not arrived either :-) stomp stomp

If someone can tell me that those other returning ousted chefs were not bitter... I'll eat your hat in public. Or maybe Im projecting and Im the one who's bitter :-)

2 minutes ago, ari333 said:

Wow. Good catch . I didnt' notice that.

Mine has not arrived either :-) stomp stomp

If someone can tell me that those other returning ousted chefs were not bitter... I'll eat your hat in public. Or maybe Im projecting and Im the one who's bitter :-)

Ari, when Mr. pig & I saw the lineup of busted chefs, we both said "girls, you are in big trouble".  Danni & Frank being the worst - but that's not saying much for the others.

• Love 2

Agreed that Danni and Frank were the worst, but Ashley and some others were just a little more subtle  in their sabotage-ish antics imo.

However, I actually thought Jackie would be more of an ass than she was.

Also agreed - what was up with Danni being there at the door opening? SHe walked out. I'd think she'd stay gone.

• Love 5

That's why I'm wondering if the walkout was staged. And they told her to show up again at the end. There wasn't enough drama going on on Ariel's side so they had to do something I guess.

1 hour ago, ari333 said:

I kind of hate how they are forced to use their former enemies as their "brigade". That has sabotage written all over it  imo But DRAMA~!

Also, why does this show use plate chargers from the dollar store? Yes, I shop there.

Presumably yes, they do it for the drama, but on the other hand, the contestants are better off doing their best job because in the end it makes them look better, especially to any future employers. Sabotaging them on purpose only makes them look like a bad sport (and a bad chef).

1 hour ago, ari333 said:

Did Jackie grow a lot of hair or what?

She's always had long hair. She just kept it pinned back most of the time.

1 hour ago, ari333 said:

I cant understand the appeal of duck. I had it once and that was enough.

I think duck is gross too....but people adore it so I figure it must be that I have to find the right place and it will be delicious.  Its like trying to find the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, RCharter said:

I think duck is gross too....but people adore it so I figure it must be that I have to find the right place and it will be delicious.  Its like trying to find the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

I know, right? I love meat and all kinds of weird foods, so it is odd that I did not like the duck. It was gamey and IDK what ; and it was expensive and supposedly we were at a "fancy" restaurant. Didn't like it. Never had it since. Maybe we don't know good duck when we see it hehehehe. But I don't like deer and some other stuff too. so there's that.

• Love 1

Are the eliminated contestants who come back to help there voluntarily or they being forced to? Is it part of their contract that they have to come back? I noticed not all of them do, just the more recent ones eliminated.

2 minutes ago, MrsEVH said:

Are the eliminated contestants who come back to help there voluntarily or they being forced to? Is it part of their contract that they have to come back? I noticed not all of them do, just the more recent ones eliminated.

I think they either choose the most recently eliminated up to a certain point, or they choose a combo of the best contestants (like Ashley) plus the ones they know will be trainwrecks to work with like Jackie. I'm not sure if they are contractually obligated to come back but I imagine it's most likely part of their contract that they have to return. 

Well, what an underwhelming season and group of cheftestants. 

I'm not surprised Ariel won, but I still don't think she is qualified to run a high end restaurant. The biggest surprise was her picking Jackie first, I thought that reflected poorly on her managerial skills. Although Jackie was a pleasant surprise and was actually somewhat competent. Apparently the extra month experience she gained since being cut, coupled with her vast 3 months prior experience as a chef, has paid off. She even seemed somewhat decent, even though she still has a gutter mouth.

Danie remained true to form, a legend in her own mind, and a disaster on the line. Any potential employers should be mighty impressed with her lack of culinary skills and her walking out when pressure hits. She better learn to work the fry machine, because with her personality and skill set that is where she is destined to end up.

Jared looked devastated at being picked last, especially seeing Frankie & Jackie going early. So much for picking Kristin for that date, that really backfired in spades. 

Frank made another idiotic comment regarding killing your superiors when you don't like what they say to you. That should go over well with the Marine Corps, especially in light of how his misogynistic comments were received. He also proved that he is a dolt in the kitchen once again.

Am I the only one who like to see more friendship and positive comments in the Talking Heads, rather than snide insults ?

Anyway, I guess Ariel was the best of a mediocre bunch. She did do a pretty good job of running things once the dinner service started.

I hope in following seasons we get some more skilled chefs, and maybe less formulaic stuff.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, ari333 said:

I don't understand how someone can be half Jewish, but another person is not half Catholic   or half Mormon or half Muslim etc

That's because being Jewish is not just a religion like Catholicism, it's also an ethnicity.  I've had my DNA tested and there's a special category for "Ashkenazi" which is also called "European Jewish" on the DNA sites.  So even if a Jewish person adopts another religion, they are most likely still ethnically a Jew if not religiously.  And that also means you can be "half Jewish" ethnically just like you can be half Italian.  Hope that explains it.

• Love 9
(edited)
13 hours ago, Canada said:

Good point.  You're either Jewish or you're not.  I was distracted by how much Ariel and her sister did not look alike.

I am willing to bet that Ariel and her sister have different fathers, which would probably only add to her feelings of being different.

Getting back to being Jewish, you can be part Jew in your DNA as far as descending from Jews as an ethnic group, like I am (according to the DNA sites, I'm about 25%), but you don't have to practice the religion.  Of course, people can choose to follow another religion even if they have ethnically Jewish DNA.  I know people who grew up as Jews but converted to Christianity.  You also don't have to be ethnically a Jew to practice the religion of Judaism.  It's complicated, for sure.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 5

I think Ariel said something briefly about she and her sister bonding when "we lost our father," so it sounds like they do actually have the same father. I noticed how strikingly different they looked though too. But then again my brother and I don't look alike at all, so who knows. 

I don't think they had the same father.  She mentions her mother met her father in college, married then later divorced.  I believe she is probably talking about the man who raised her when she talks about losing "their" father.

I found this quote from an interview with her from this site:

http://www.interfaithfamily.com/arts_and_entertainment/popular_culture/Hollywood_Now_Hells_Kitchen_Contestant_Strong_Bi-racial_Jewish_Identity_Plus_Seth_Meyers_Paul_Giamatti.shtml

“Growing up with divorced parents, being bi-racial and Jewish was interesting to say the least. Difficult is definitely an understatement,” Malone says. “I was raised, for the most part, in a town where my school had maybe five black children in the district and one Jew—at least practicing and not ashamed–me. Both of my parents raised me to take pride in both my black racial heritage and my Jewish roots so I always stood up for myself in both regards. I encountered the most opposition from my skin color since being Jewish isn't something you can see on the surface, but I never really took much offense. The upside is that I always had an awesome skin tone year round!”

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

That's because being Jewish is not just a religion like Catholicism, it's also an ethnicity.  I've had my DNA tested and there's a special category for "Ashkenazi" which is also called "European Jewish" on the DNA sites.  So even if a Jewish person adopts another religion, they are most likely still ethnically a Jew if not religiously.  And that also means you can be "half Jewish" ethnically just like you can be half Italian.  Hope that explains it.

Thanks for explaining.  I've always thought of being Jewish as a religious practice; I didn't know it could be an ethnicity as well.  I was confused as to how someone could be half a religion.... do you just pick out the good, fun bits and be that half??  :D

• Love 3
On 4/30/2016 at 4:18 PM, MrsEVH said:

Fairly sure that as part of the contract for being on a show like HK, you are required to do the end-of-season final service if they want you to.

• Love 2
On 4/30/2016 at 6:53 PM, MajorWoody said:

I'm not surprised Ariel won, but I still don't think she is qualified to run a high end restaurant. The biggest surprise was her picking Jackie first, I thought that reflected poorly on her managerial skills. Although Jackie was a pleasant surprise and was actually somewhat competent. Apparently the extra month experience she gained since being cut, coupled with her vast 3 months prior experience as a chef, has paid off. She even seemed somewhat decent, even though she still has a gutter mouth.

Jackie had an obnoxious personality and showed little creativity as a chef during challenges.  However, despite that she was usually not a disaster in service - she was nominated time after time because of her personality and lack of cooking creativity, not because she was the worst at service on any particular day.  And I can't stand Jackie, she annoyed me to no end but give her a specific set of tasks to perform and she'll do it.

I thought Kristin would win before the show but during service she floundered a little more than Ariel.  Neither chef really impressed me that much in the finale which surprised me because I thought they were two fairly strong contestants.

Danni, what a joke.  And Frank still sucks.

• Love 6

Does it seem to be to anyone else that Ramsay usually picks a chef who excels in challenges and one who excels in service?

Examples (challenge vs service):

• Virginia vs Heather
  • Christina vs Petrozza
  • Kristin vs Ariel

Maybe season 14 was something of an exception, because neither Meghan nor T really did very well in challenges - Meghan almost won a few of them and T was either really good or really bad.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/30/2016 at 9:02 PM, beesknees said:

And did anyone notice chef "Cliff" (former contestant from "Top Chef" who got kicked off the show for man-handling fellow contestant Marcel)?  Cliff was one of the chefs that judged dishes in the beginning of the episode.

I was actually glad that the final episode didn't drag out for 3 hours.

I recognized him. I think he's been on HK before.

Edit: IMDB says he was on in 2011, too. With the same title from BLT Steak NY

Edited by Charlesman
googled it.
  • Love 1

I was shocked that Ariel won.  I felt like she really lost control at the pass numerous times.  

Shallow end: When they were out for their "makeover day" I was actually surprised how drastically different Ariel looked --then I noticed there was nothing particularly different about her hair and makeup.  It was the first time I can ever recall seeing her genuinely enjoying herself and *gasp* smiling. And hey, I'm not criticizing non-smiling women--I am one.  I am generously endowed in the RBF department. The difference with Ariel is that it isn't just RBF-- she came across to me as dour and a drag.  She has the energy-suck personality of a wet blanket.  From what I saw, I would think working near her, much less FOR her would be like staring into the abyss. There were a whole hell of a lot of dead-eyed stares from her when I think she was internally rebooting (see what I did there) her sap-your-will-to-live software.  Maybe she was just camera shy or something, but an actual personality is pretty hard to keep under wraps for that many weeks.

Also regarding the makeover, I was SO happy to see Kristen in ANY OTHER LIPSTICK for a hot minute, and then BAM frosty pink lipstick in the talking head.  So close.

All told, I'd rather work with Kristen just because her personality is . . . extant. I hope Ariel's is more shy and quiet confidence.  She certainly had some cooking chops, and I have GOT to give her credit for gritting it out basically the whole season with her leg in a boot.  I hope she does well.

• Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 11:37 PM, Major Bigtime said:

I was happy either way as I thought they both did very well with their final dishes. My head was spinning along with everyone else's when Ariel was going over her menu with her team. 

Dannie will never, ever again be asked to be on a TV cooking competition, or maybe even hired for a job. That was so unprofessional. She said something to the effect of "I didn't ask to come back." Well, when Ramsay or production offered you the opportunity, why didn't you just say no?

Do you think Dannie was contractually obligated to appear again because she was one of the "last half" or "second set" of contestants to be eliminated?  What a fricking sore loser.  I agree with other posters.  Good luck in getting hired.  She must of been a shitty boxer/kick boxer or whatever type of athlete she was.  Not indicative of the drive serious athletes possess.  What a whiny, unprofessional quitter. 

If I was in Dannie's shoes there is no way I would be so selfish or so-self centered as to sabotage someone else's big moment.  I would have kicked ass the best as I could for my team captain (Ariel).  It's not about me anymore; I must be a top-notch team player, no "I" in Team (and all that).  I commend Jackie of all people!  for kicking ass and taking over Dannie's responsibilities.  And did I get this right that originally Jackie was sort of a "plant?" - producer placement? because Jackie revealed that she'd only worked as a line cook in a restaurant for 3 MONTHS before she got casted in HK?  Bwah!

• Love 5
On 4/30/2016 at 0:37 AM, Major Bigtime said:

I would guess $$, and Dannie just got fed up.

Also, I never thought I'd meet "that person" who thinks "preface" is pronounced "pree-face", so thanks for that, Kristin.

On 4/30/2016 at 0:37 AM, Major Bigtime said:

To be fair, they might not have been given a choice. I mean it might have been explained to her as a contractual obligation.

That said, she showed what a punk she really is with her stank attitude.

• Love 5