Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!": TV Moments That Make You Irate

• Start Topic

On 3/29/2020 at 11:52 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

People think Hallmark TV movies are all about insipid white people finding tepid romance during Christmas, but I will take it further and proclaim that they're actually about people who are either awful, boring, or both, but we're meant to think they're lovable because they're played by So and So from that TV show from the 90's you or may not remember!

The Hallmark Hall of Fame movies used to be about all kinds of different things.  Why do the movies on the Hallmark channel seem to all concern romance and learning the true meaning of Christmas? 

• Love 12

The Scoobies bringing Buffy back to life and ripping her out of heaven made me irate for a number of reasons.

First off, their logic/justification for doing so was flawed, to say the least. Willow automatically assumed that because she was killed by a mystical energy, her soul would be in a hell dimension like Angel wound up in. Uh, Willow? Angel getting sucked into a hell dimension was a little different than Buffy sacrificing herself to save the world. Even if you aren't a religious person, one usually assumes that something like that is a guaranteed ticket to heaven, or that her soul would at least be at peace. I know that it's hard to be reasonable when losing someone you love and we'd all like to bring them back, but don't try to use "she might be in hell" as an excuse

Second, did it ever occur to them to maybe, I don't know, dig her up, before doing the spell? Digging herself out of her grave was just as messed up as being yanked out of heaven. What, did they think she was going to magically appear out of her grave? SMH...

I'm glad Giles ripped Willow a new one for what she did, but I would have liked it if Buffy had been allowed to be more angry at them. Though I'm sure Joss would have framed it as "Oh Buffy is such a whiny victim, her friends were only trying to help!"

In conclusion, the Scoobies were fucking idiots.

• Love 17
On 4/10/2020 at 1:39 PM, janie jones said:

The Hallmark Hall of Fame movies used to be about all kinds of different things.  Why do the movies on the Hallmark channel seem to all concern romance and learning the true meaning of Christmas? 

Hallmark Hall of Fame movies used to be high quality productions too.

• Love 11
On 4/15/2020 at 7:53 PM, proserpina65 said:

Hallmark Hall of Fame movies used to be high quality productions too.

A&E used to be Arts & Entertainment; Bravo used to be about things that earned Bravos.

The History Channel actually used to be about history, and TLC used to be The Learning Channel, and provide educational programming.

I know, I was there when they debuted in the 80s, before the profit margins of scripted "unscripted" reality programs that skirted union rules to further save costs became the overriding factor for programming.

• Love 14
On 4/17/2020 at 12:44 PM, Bruinsfan said:

The only thing The Learning Channel teaches me these days is not to stop on the channel while I'm eating.

And not to stop on it if I don't want to feel ashamed to view humanity at its worst OR feeling as though my intellect's  on the verge of   hopping onto the brain drain choo choo! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 8

Off topic: My favorite The Learning Channel story - when the channel first started, I was flipping channels and came across what I thought was someone cutting up a chicken. Then the voice-over said "vas deferens" and I realized I was watching an extreme closeup of a vasectomy!

• LOL 17
1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

Off topic: My favorite The Learning Channel story - when the channel first started, I was flipping channels and came across what I thought was someone cutting up a chicken. Then the voice-over said "vas deferens" and I realized I was watching an extreme closeup of a vasectomy!

I watched that surgery and the reversal surgery with my dad and older brother one afternoon.   Their reactions were hysterical.   

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

Even Lifetime used to be better than the perpetual "psycho stalker/women in peril" crap it churns out repeatedly nowadays.

I actually snarked on a another board that on one of the few benefits to this nightmare is that they and the Hallmark Channel have had to halt production on their generic movies. 

• Love 5

I'm torn. I won't miss new Hallmark movies and shows for quite a while; I have plenty of backlog to snark on. But several actors I really like (Kavan Smith, Danica McKellar, Luke Macfarlane, Pascale Hutton) appear to rely on the channel as their primary source of income.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Camille said:

Even Lifetime used to be better than the perpetual "psycho stalker/women in peril" crap it churns out repeatedly nowadays.

I actually snarked on a another board that on one of the few benefits to this nightmare is that they and the Hallmark Channel have had to halt production on their generic movies. 

Unfortunately Hallmark Channel replaced them with reruns of their terrible Christmas movies for awhile.

• Love 3

The way Lorelai treated Luke in the final two seasons of Gilmore Girls. I know it was framed to seem like it was all Luke's fault for not initially telling her about April and then wanting to postpone the wedding...but was he asking for really that unreasonable? Wanting time to get to know his own daughter on his terms before Lorelai could shoehorn her way in and be the center of attention like she was always prone to do? Maybe he went about it wrong, but Luke had spent years bending over backwards to Lorelai's whims, and the one time he asks her for anything and suddenly he's a jerk? He was more than okay with her wanting to wait until things were right with Rory, even when she got pissy that he told Rory they were engaged.

Lorelai was the bigger asshole by a mile. Pretending she was okay with it while whining and complaining about it behind his back, even upstaging poor Lane's wedding with her drunk tirade about her cancelled June 3rd wedding--boo hoo, try telling that to all the couples that had to cancel their wedding because of a pandemic!--and then blindsiding him with an ultimatum and beelining for Christopher when she didn't get her way. Don't even get me started on how she acted all offended on Luke's reluctance to jump back into a relationship after all that.

I would have loved it if instead of coddling and enabling her, the Stars Hollow folk would have called Lorelai on her crap and told her to either talk to Luke or to grow up and stop acting like such a victim.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 7
On 4/21/2020 at 7:31 AM, Spartan Girl said:

The way Lorelai treated Luke in the final two seasons of Gilmore Girls. I know it was framed to seem like it was all Luke's fault for not initially telling her about April and then wanting to postpone the wedding...but was he asking for really that unreasonable? Wanting time to get to know his own daughter on his terms before Lorelai could shoehorn her way in and be the center of attention like she was always prone to do? Maybe he went about it wrong, but Luke had spent years bending over backwards to Lorelai's whims, and the one time he asks her for anything and suddenly he's a jerk? He was more than okay with her wanting to wait until things were right with Rory, even when she got pissy that he told Rory they were engaged.

Lorelai was the bigger asshole by a mile. Pretending she was okay with it while whining and complaining about it behind his back, even upstaging poor Lane's wedding with her drunk tirade about her cancelled June 3rd wedding--boo hoo, try telling that to all the couples that had to cancel their wedding because of a pandemic!--and then blindsiding him with an ultimatum and beelining for Christopher when she didn't get her way. Don't even get me started on how she acted all offended on Luke's reluctance to jump back into a relationship after all that.

I would have loved it if instead of coddling and enabling her, the Stars Hollow folk would have called Lorelai on her crap and told her to either talk to Luke or to grow up and stop acting like such a victim.

If it's any consolation, her mother DID call Lorelai on her crap when the latter used the podium of her father's funeral to throw a pity party for herself about him not being the best father possible to her- rather than make the slightest attempt to come up with a positive story from her late father's life to share with the fellow mourners!  Yes, Emily herself had major issues and was a contributing factor to her trainwreck daughter's solipsism but even considering those two blatant hashmarks against Emily, it was GREAT to see someone actually NAIL Lorelai on her entitled 'tude! BTW, Lorelai reminds of folks I'm thankful were NOT close relatives I've had to deal with in my time!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Blergh said:

If it's any consolation, her mother DID call Lorelai on her crap when the latter threw used the podium of her father's funeral to throw a pity party for herself about him not being the best father possible to her- rather than make the slightest attempt to come up with a positive story from her late father's life to share with the fellow mourners!  Yes, Emily herself had major issues and was a contributing factor to her trainwreck daughter's solipsism but even considering those two blatant hashmarks against Emily, it was GREAT to see someone actually NAIL Lorelai on her entitled 'tude! BTW, Lorelai reminds of folks I'm thankful were NOT close relatives I've had to deal with in my time!

That was great, but I really wish Luke had gotten the chance to call her out on her crap over the April debacle.

Another moment that made me angry was in the Netflix season when per Lorelai's request, Luke made a nice home cooked meal for Rory's return home...only for those two to bring home takeout! Seriously!! They justify it with their old "we will eat your food too" but JFC do those twats really need to eat THAT much?!

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I agree. As much as I was disappointed that the wedding wasn't happening. June 3rd would have made an excellent end to the season. It made no sense for Lorelai to be so upset and flipping out. Its not as if it was postponed for a stupid reason. He wanted to get to know his daughter. The wedding would be postpone probably no more then a year or two at most. What was the big deal? 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That was great, but I really wish Luke had gotten the chance to call her out on her crap over the April debacle.

I wanted Suki to be angry with Lorelei for usurping/ruining the kids’ baptism because she just had to speak to Rory right! then! about their falling out.  She couldn’t hold it together for the ceremony to be finished.  No, it had to happen right in the middle, but oh that’s just ol’ Lorelei and Rory, forget what we are doing, are they okay?

• Love 12

OK... My “OH HELL NO!” moment is fairly recent. It’s when McGarrett flew off into the sunset with Catherine Rollins, his girlfriend, in the way a woman’s supposed to be a girlfriend to someone, in about Seasons 1-4.  Except during Season 4, I think, Catherine agreed to keep secrets from Steve about his Mom’s work as a CIA operative, & how much danger it could put her in. Then, in around Season 5 (I think) Catherine resigned her Naval commission & seemed to lose herself.

She worked with Steve & Five-0 for awhile, which didn’t work out. She then moved on to work with another ex-Naval Officer friend (& I think lover) in his PI office. Only he was soon killed on the job, which Catherine blamed herself for. Then she, with Steve tagging along, went off to Afghanistan to try to find the minor aged son of an Afghani family who took Catherine in & cared for her when she was injured in a Naval op. Steve was captured, tortured, & nearly beheaded by the Taliban for not giving up Catherine to them while he & Catherine were searching for the kid. . . who they never found. Steve was deported from Afghanistan, but Catherine remained, telling Steve she couldn’t leave without finding the kid &, eventually, she found some sort of teaching job there (That should really be the OH HELL NO!, in & of itself, but I can overlook it because of the OH HELL NO! in the finale).

Then Catherine was basically not seen or heard from again, until she somehow was invited to, & showed up at, the wedding of Five-0 team member Kono Kalakaua & Adam Noshimuri. She hung around for awhile after the wedding & then suddenly left town again, after getting a mysterious phone call or 2, not knowing that Steve was ready to propose to her & had even bought a ring. It turns out Catherine had become a CIA operative in her own right, whether or not she was recruited for the job by Steve’s Mom.

So, in the intervening years/seasons, Catherine met up with Steve & Five-0 again, mostly on missions when she alerted him & the team that his Mom had a CIA op go bad in a potentially life-threatening way & Catherine needed their help to get her out of the mess she was in. It was during 1 of these rescue ops that Catherine learned he had wanted to propose to her—to which she replied (or said at some point), she would’ve said yes—but he wasn’t gonna wait for her anymore; he was moving on with his life, & Steve felt like Catherine had become “Doris (Mom) #2” in his life, what with all the secrets Catherine had begun keeping from him.

Anyway... We get to the last scene in the finale; Steve gets on the plane & the next thing we know, Catherine comes down the aisle & notices him sitting in a seat. She says, “Hello Sailor”. What else could Steve do, I guess, but have her sit next to him (It’s always better to travel with someone, after all)? I’m wanking that she just happened to be on the same plane as Steve & he was just being nice (given what was said about Catherine & Steve after Ep 150 & linked above), instead of wanting to be all “boyfriend/girlfriend” right away. I think they need to have a SERIOUS talk about Catherine keeping secrets for Steve’s Mom, Catherine joining the CIA without discussing its effect on their relationship, & I can’t remember what else before restarting their romantic relationship. This, however, is how the show’s Creator & Executive Producer, Peter Lenkov, explained Steve & Catherine riding off into the sunset together (& I don’t see Catherine’s actions as he explains them away): 

And why did you like Catherine as the endgame for him? Was she always going to be there, or was that something you added once you knew this was it?

No, she's always been the endgame for me, no matter what. There are fans that love her and fans that don't love her, but with the fans that don't love her, I think there's a little bit of not understanding her motivation. She's a soldier, and for her that soldier mentality is always "God and country" comes first, and at that the sacrifice of everything else. I think leaving Steve and the things she's done to perhaps hurt him weren't by choice. She has always loved him, and he's always loved her and always felt complete with her. For me, those two being together was always the endgame. The idea of Steve and Danny on those chairs, looking out at the ocean, was always in the cards as well. That friendship will always be there, those two guys will grow old together. But the idea of Steve having a family for himself, being a grandfather, being all the things that his father and grandfather was, that was always in the cards for him.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a capitalization.
4 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

OK... My “OH HELL NO!” moment is fairly recent. It’s when McGarrett flew off into the sunset with Catherine Rollins, his girlfriend, in the way a woman’s supposed to be a girlfriend to someone, in about Seasons 1-4.  Except during Season 4, I think, Catherine agreed to keep secrets from Steve about his Mom’s work as a CIA operative, & how much danger it could put her in. Then, in around Season 5 (I think) Catherine resigned her Naval commission & seemed to lose herself.

She worked with Steve & Five-0 for awhile, which didn’t work out. She then moved on to work with another ex-Naval Officer friend (& I think lover) in his PI office. Only he was soon killed on the job, which Catherine blamed herself for. Then she, with Steve tagging along, went off to Afghanistan to try to find the minor aged son of an Afghani family who took Catherine in & cared for her when she was injured in a Naval op. Steve was captured, tortured, & nearly beheaded by the Taliban for not giving up Catherine to them while he & Catherine were searching for the kid. . . who they never found. Steve was deported from Afghanistan, but Catherine remained, telling Steve she couldn’t leave without finding the kid &, eventually, she found some sort of teaching job there (That should really be the OH HELL NO!, in & of itself, but I can overlook it because of the OH HELL NO! in the finale).

Then Catherine was basically not seen or heard from again, until she somehow was invited to, & showed up at, the wedding of Five-0 team member Kono Kalakaua & Adam Noshimuri. She hung around for awhile after the wedding & then suddenly left town again, after getting a mysterious phone call or 2, not knowing that Steve was ready to propose to her & had even bought a ring. It turns out Catherine had become a CIA operative in her own right, whether or not she was recruited for the job by Steve’s mom.

So, in the intervening years/seasons, Catherine met up with Steve & Five-0 again, mostly on missions when she alerted him & the team that his Mom had a CIA op go bad in a potentially life-threatening way & Catherine needed their help to get her out of the mess she was in. It was during 1 of these rescue ops that Catherine learned he had wanted to propose to her—to which she replied (or said at some point), she would’ve said yes—but he wasn’t gonna wait for her anymore; he was moving on with his life, & Steve felt like Catherine had become “Doris (Mom) #2” in his life, what with all the secrets Catherine had begun keeping from him.

Anyway... We get to the last scene in the finale; Steve gets on the plane & the next thing we know, Catherine comes down the aisle & notices him sitting in a seat. She says, “Hello Sailor”. What else could Steve do, I guess, but have her sit next to him (It’s always better to travel with someone, after all)? I’m wanking that she just happened to be on the same plane as Steve & he was just being nice (given what was said about Catherine & Steve after Ep 150 & linked above), instead of wanting to be all “boyfriend/girlfriend” right away. I think they need to have a SERIOUS talk about Catherine keeping secrets for Steve’s Mom, Catherine joining the CIA without discussing its effect on their relationship, & I can’t remember what else before restarting their romantic relationship. This, however, is how the show’s Creator & Executive Producer, Peter Lenkov, explained Steve & Catherine riding off into the sunset together (& I don’t see Catherine’s actions as he explains them away): 

I’m with you 1000% - I liked the show (foe the first few seasons) but this finale just sucks. I .know that the actress playing Catherine left originally to star in a TV show that only lasted a few episodes...  and yes to all the secrets she kept. The final episode made no sense and seemed really disconnected.

I know it is really hard to end a series in a way that even 25% of viewers are happy with, but the last two seasons lost their magic and good writing

• Love 5

I realize this aired a few weeks ago, and once something has aired spoilers aren't required, but I've been avoiding the H50 forum as I was saving the last several episodes to binge watch over my birthday. 

😐

5 hours ago, kassygreene said:

I realize this aired a few weeks ago, and once something has aired spoilers aren't required, but I've been avoiding the H50 forum as I was saving the last several episodes to binge watch over my birthday. 

😐

Apologies. I just had to vent somewhere & somehow it didn’t seem appropriate in the H50 forum. I possibly should’ve warned for spoilers, but as you said they’re not required once the episode involved has aired.

7 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I’m with you 1000% - I liked the show (foe the first few seasons) but this finale just sucks. I .know that the actress playing Catherine left originally to star in a TV show that only lasted a few episodes...  and yes to all the secrets she kept. The final episode made no sense and seemed really disconnected.

I know it is really hard to end a series in a way that even 25% of viewers are happy with, but the last two seasons lost their magic and good writing

I liked Catherine perfectly well through Seasons 3 & 4, when the actress (Michelle Borth) was moved up to the lead cast in the main credits from a recurring role. At least until she found Doris attempting to electrocute that guy, Mangosta, who had come to Hawaii looking for her, to kill her, & Doris swore Catherine to secrecy regarding telling Steve about that. Until Catherine did that, which I knew wouldn’t go down well with Steve—& it didn’t once he did find out about it—I probably would’ve been perfectly happy with Steve & Catherine being endgame, even though I was, & still am, more fond of McDanno.

By the way, Michelle didn’t leave H50 to do the other show (Combat Hospital, which ran briefly on ABC), exactly. Catherine was still considered a recurring character on H50 &, as long as it was OK in her contract, which I’m assuming it was, she was allowed to do both shows technically at the same time (Ian Anthony Dale was doing double duty when he first started playing Adam; Michelle Hurd—Renee Grover—was doing at least 3 recurring roles, including on H50, at 1 time, which is why we almost never saw her once Renee was introduced; she’s now in the new Star Trek franchise show, Picard). But if they both wanted Michelle to film at the same time, H50 would’ve gotten her, she would’ve been in “first position”, with them because she had that role first.

I thought the last 2 seasons were still good. I liked Tani & Junior. I’m glad, for the actors, Alex was able to get through the last 2 seasons so they wouldn’t have ended up “1 & done”, season-wise, in their roles after replacing Grace & Daniel. They managed to get 3 seasons on the show, which is a nice run. Not as good as the 7 years Chi McBride got, the 8 years Ian Anthony Dale got, or the 10 years Alex & Scott got, but still good.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

This will seem a little weird, but there was an episode of Grace Under Fire where Grace's friend Nadine was very temperamental because of her pregnancy, and Grace tried to cheer her by forcing her to go on a road trip to an Earth, Wind & Fire concert.  Nadine was miserable the entire time, and they bickered through the whole episode.  I was sure that Grace would eventually apologize for being pushy, Nadine would think she meant well, etc. and they would have a great time at the show.  They instead wound up just giving away the tickets to two younger women.  Even though I knew from TV Guide that the band was still going to make a cameo, I was outraged.  You would have thought that they ripped the tickets right out of my hand!  I kept yelling at the TV things like, "This is EARTH, WIND & FIRE!!  You do NOT do that!!"  It's one thing if they weren't really into the band or its music, but I think it had been stressed that this was their favorite.  I hadn't seen the band in concert at that point because I was just a toddler when their hits came out and I had gotten into them in college, and I didn't have reason to think I ever would see them, so it made me so mad that the characters would just toss that opportunity aside because they were in a bad mood.  (I did see EWF in concert just a couple years after the episode aired and again a second time with Chicago.)

• Love 8
On 5/4/2020 at 3:02 AM, KWalkerInc said:

They instead wound up just giving away the tickets to two younger women.  Even though I knew from TV Guide that the band was still going to make a cameo, I was outraged.  You would have thought that they ripped the tickets right out of my hand!  I kept yelling at the TV things like, "This is EARTH, WIND & FIRE!!  You do NOT do that!!"  It's one thing if they weren't really into the band or its music, but I think it had been stressed that this was their favorite.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:02 AM, KWalkerInc said:

it made me so mad that the characters would just toss that opportunity aside because they were in a bad mood. 

THIS!!!  I have seen so many shows over the years in which someone wants so badly to go to a concert or other event only to give the (expensive and hard to get) tickets to someone else for very little reason!!!  I remember this episode and it bugged me too!  

• Love 4
On 4/22/2020 at 10:34 PM, Stats Queen said:

I’m with you 100%.  I liked Catherine at first.  But she’s basically a younger version of Doris, and Steve had a complicated love/anger relationship with Doris.  The moment she left Steve, aft promising Danny she wouldn’t hurt him, I was done.  The rest of her shenanigans just piled on my dislike.

And then for Steve to say goodbye to everyone and leave Danny sitting alone on the beach, Danny who just had his second shot to the chest in 2 years!  🤬

I always wanted McDanno to be end game.

(edited)
13 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’m with you 100%.  I liked Catherine at first.  But she’s basically a younger version of Doris, and Steve had a complicated love/anger relationship with Doris.  The moment she left Steve, aft promising Danny she wouldn’t hurt him, I was done.  The rest of her shenanigans just piled on my dislike.

And then for Steve to say goodbye to everyone and leave Danny sitting alone on the beach, Danny who just had his second shot to the chest in 2 years!  🤬

I always wanted McDanno to be end game.

Regarding the bolded & italicized: So did I. But I knew, as progressive as I think/hope we’ve become societally in recent years, McDanno would probably only have been endgame in an alternate universe or if I, among others (I think a number of them here at Primetimer), were in charge of determining the storyline for the show &/or those characters. But apparently CBS’ viewers aren’t ready for something like that yet, even if you just know the characters are gay & you never see them expressing physical affection, or doing anything else the more conservative viewers might find distasteful in the course of the overarching storyline. I think the fact CBS cancelled Tommy, Edie Falco’s new series which just finished its “1 & done” season, in which she played a NYC cop who becomes the new Chief of Police of the LAPD & just happens to be a lesbian perhaps shows that (& maybe so does the fact that the Logo cable channel, which originally aired programming with the LGBTQ Community as its target audience, now airs the same mix of mostly comedy reruns as every other cable channel in the US & little to no programming related to its original concept or target audience).

I really can’t wait for the day when seeing a relationship like McDanno on TV (in general, not just on a cable channel created to show gay relationships & other things about the gay community), will be the norm, not the exception.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
  • Love 2
(edited)

While watching the   series wound up being a very frustrated and infuriating experience, few episodes of Girl Meets World epitomized this more than when the gang dug up Mr. Feeny's yard in 'Girl Meets Pluto'.

Now, what led up to this move? Was it because Cory or Topanga got notice from the bank that their mortgage was missing and they remembered it was in a box in Mr. Feeny's yard and they had to produce it ASAP or else the bank would take their apartment away- and ALL efforts at contacting Mr. Feeny had been for naught? Nah, nothing so urgent or earth shattering as that. It was all because Farkle brought up doing a time capsule in class and Cory remembered that he, Topanga and Shawn had buried one of their own in their teacher's yard.  And for THAT reason alone, Cory insisted that they HAD to  immediately  take this road trip to their former home city just to dig it up straight away. Topanga made objections but solely due to her own dislike of digging NOT due to any considerations of notification, trespassing or vandalism one would think a lawyer would mention. But she went along anyway and took their elder child Riley along while Auggie's whereabouts remained a mystery for the whole episode (and Katy had no problems with her own daughter Maya going along to a road trip to another state for the express purpose of digging up the yard of a total stranger to them).

In case anyone   missed it, the Matthews parents and Shawn Hunter were acting as though they were all STILL fifteen-years-old and NOT  making the tiniest efforts to behave as responsible adults and, most importantly, had NOT attempted to notify their 80-something teacher of their intent before they started to dig on his property that they'd trespassed on (and, Cory and Topanga made zero efforts to try to set ANY kind of positive example for their daughter or her same-age friend here). So, the three so-called adults dug to different degrees but found nothing while Riley plucked some of Mr. Feeny's daisies for use for daisy-chains for herself and Maya AND she unwittingly dug up the metal box that contained the time capsule. It was at THAT point Mr. Feeny emerged from his house (and I hope Lila Bolander Feeny just slept through the whole thing but who knows) and shined his flashlight at them.   Cory and Shawn screamed like they were fifteen again and Mr. Feeny declared that they were going to get 'big boy detention' .

THEN, Riley and Maya made strange cat sounds before doing a   'FEE-HEE-NAY' deal to this old man who, as per this script, appeared to be at least a near stranger to Riley and total stranger to Maya.  Yeah, having them do that was SO cool of them and hilarious (at least that's what the script wanted the audience to believe)- except that it totally was NOT. First of all, the Feeny Call had been built over time with Eric as he and Mr. Feeny had bonded and it was understood to have been a term of semi-endearment on Eric's part.  Secondly, they'd had NO interaction with either Eric OR Mr. Feeny on the show at this point so it made no sense for them to have done this. Lastly, neither Riley nor Maya had what it took to pull off something that had been (at best) marginally tolerable for Eric to have done. Oh, and one would think that having been caught having trespassed on and vandalized another person's property that would have prompted someone with a brain to have attempted an apology- much less mustered what little manners they may have had to call him 'Mr. Feeny' as one should do an elder one has not been introduced to. But no.

But then again, NONE of these five  trespassing vandals so much as attempted  anything remotely resembling an  apology to the old man who was FAR more forgiving than ANY of these folks (especially the so-called adults who had been his students) deserved. ALL he did was tell Cory and Shawn  'put back his flowers' (which anyone who's ever gardened knows is next to impossible to do for stuff that's been dug up) and invited the girls to ask them about Cory. 

Virtually the ONLY vaguely sympathetic moments the girls had in this was for Riley to say she's very lucky to have Cory for a father (Why not? He never attempted to discipline her or not show her favoritism) and for Maya to say that Cory is 'the best[teacher] there is'  but that Cory thought that Mr. Feeny himself was better. Yes. that would have been  touching on Maya's part- except that she and Riley had been willing to trespass on and vandalize the property of  this individual they supposedly esteemed   by digging it up. So  by going that logic ,what would have   stopped them from tearing apart Cory's apartment walls whenever  they felt the whim? Still, this also marked one of the very few times that Riley expressed anything resembling appreciation for Cory (forget any kind of actual respect for him or Topanga). 

So with the box dug up and Mr. Feeny saying that since the Cory, Topanga and Shawn are still in each other's lives is all that matters, they departed.

The five leave without so much as attempting to drop by to visit Alan and Amy Matthews who live NEXT DOOR to the Feenys (and no, there's no 'too bad Grandpa and Grandma Matthews were on that cruise so we couldn't see them' line). One can be sure that the BMW senior Matthewses would have REALLY called out the five for having done that to Mr. Feeny (and it would have been SO deserved).Oh, and let's not forget that Alan and Amy could be hilariously goofy, funny and sometimes even clueless BUT, when it mattered,they were adults who behaved as adults and were willing to spell out and mete consequences on their wayward offspring and their pals without that show losing its comedic qualities. But it seems GMW was afraid to attempt having Cory or Topanga do that or else risk their tween audience tuning out. 

Despite the fact that this script totally trashed whatever growth Shawn Hunter had made even by the end of BMW- much less  what  one would expect a 30-something adult of independent means to have, Rider Strong did the best anyone could have done  with this and, yes, Shawn's chemistry with Cory, Topanga was fairly good and it was nice that he was believable as someone willing to see if he and Katy might connect despite both having been burned by romance but all the above this didn't make up for the appalling set up. And, yes, I grudgingly gave Riley some positive points for encouraging Shawn to not give up on love despite the otherwise infuriating set up. 

Also, William Daniels was ALSO true to the script despite his character being FAR too forgiving of the needless rudeness of the teens AND the five having trespassed and vandalized his property (oh Mr. Feeny DID remember the time capsule which means ALL they would have had to have done was PHONE him to ask him  where  X marked the spot then ask him for permission to see  if it could be dug up at his convenience, then THANK him, but that's NOT what any of them did). It was truly a thankless appearance for both the performer and character!

Yeah, opening the capsule had a tiny bit of nostalgic payoff but it didn't even remotely make up for the cavalier and, frankly, unfunny way they'd treated Mr. Feeny. 

Perhaps I'm biased due to having had elderly parents who both were teachers that had many students down the years ( including some loons, flakes and head cases) who I would have been livid had any of them EVER attempted what Cory, Topanga, Shawn, Riley and Maya did here. 

I give this episode a  D and the only factors the prevent it from being a complete F are the positive acting efforts of Rider Strong and William Daniels despite the script having trashed the integrity of their characters (and, in hindsight, I can't help but think that GMW having been subpar to BMW were  contributing factors to both the above performers only making occasional appearances rather than being regulars on this series). 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
(edited)

In light of recent events, the "Community Policing" episode of Law and Order SVU made me so angry, especially because Benson got so pissy that Barba prosecuted that mistook an unarmed black boy for a rapist they were pursuing and shot him 30 times -- actually I don't remember if that was the exact amount but it might as well have been. And yet Benson displayed more sympathy for the cops "for making a mistake" than that poor guy and his parents!

Its even more infuriating when you remember the episode before that when Cybill Shepard gunned down an unarmed black teenager because she "felt threatened". Liv was more than happy to go after that shooter, but when they're cops, suddenly she's full of excuses: "Police makes mistakes", " they thought his phone was a gun" and "you're just railroading them to look good to your bosses."

Fuck you, Olivia Benson. Fuck you.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 13
42 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

In light of recent events, the "Community Policing" episode of Law and Order SVU made me so angry, especially because Benson got so pissy that Barba prosecuted that mistook an unarmed black boy for a rapist they were pursuing and shot him 30 times -- actually I don't remember if that was the exact amount but it might as well have been. And yet Benson displayed more sympathy for the cops "for making a mistake" than that poor guy and his parents!

Its even more infuriating when you remember the episode before that when Cybill Shepard gunned down an unarmed black teenager because she "felt threatened". Live was more than happy to go after that shooter, but when they're cops, suddenly she's full of excuses: "Police makes mistakes", " they thought his phone was a gun" and "you're just railroading them to look good to your bosses."

Fuck you, Olivia Benson. Fuck you.

I always thought there the character of Miss Benson ,had she born a century earlier, would have been the kind of person to have eagerly sewn and tailored Klan robes   getting entralled via imagining herself a latter day Lady Guinevere for others to battle for while gleefully ignoring the ugliness of innocents getting brutalized by thugs on her behalf and it looks that episode somewhat validated this POV. Yeah, thinking oneself has the SAME knowledge as God as to who is innocent and who isn't is does NOT a good or, IMO, a watchable detective make! 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Liv always feels that being a victim gives you carte blanche to do whatever you want, even if it's illegal.

And it seems for Miss Benson that also goes for those who merely CLAIM victimhood but are, in actuality, perps!

• Love 5

Given all the times she and her partners have stepped over the line in pursuit of criminals because they "know they're guilty" (which the show generally confirms), isn't it more realistic for her to be an apologist for police brutality than to have the more ethical view on the phenomenon?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Given all the times she and her partners have stepped over the line in pursuit of criminals because they "know they're guilty" (which the show generally confirms), isn't it more realistic for her to be an apologist for police brutality than to have the more ethical view on the phenomenon?

Realistic, probably. But it doesn't make it any less infuriating.

And it was still awful how she spent more time being snotty with Barbs for doing his job and holding the cops accountable than retaining sympathy for the dead kid and his parents. Not to mention the end of the episode where a different cop that wasn't involved got shit at a traffic stop and she glares at Barbs like its all his fault.

That episode also could have let Liv take a good long look at herself and the instances she rushed to judgment/took the law only to find out that the perp wasn't the real guilty party at all, and realize that maybe she needs to change how she does things in her job. But nope. The show always insists on validating Saint Olivia's "judgment", and on the occasions where she does wind up getting the wrong guy and messing up their life, she'll spend maybe a couple seconds being remorseful and then by the next episode it's her sanctimonious business as usual.

• Love 9
(edited)

Police shows and movies have celebrated the "no-rules-apply-to-me" kind of cop character for decades while denigrating the internal affairs kind of cop or made fun of the one that actually follows the rules.

Law and Order SVU isn't an exception to this at all. Benson just followed in Stabler's footsteps, didn't she?

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 11
(edited)
4 hours ago, supposebly said:

Police shows and movies have celebrated the "no-rules-apply-to-me" kind of cop character for decades while denigrating the internal affairs kind of cop or made fun of the one that actually follows the rules.

Yep.  Which is why Major Crimes is one of the only cop shows I ever watched, and is my favorite of those few - it's led by a former IA captain (she headed the division that, by federal mandate, investigated all uses of force), so she explicitly does not allow her squad to ever pull that "the ends justify the means" shit and there is clear acknowledgment that, in so doing, she made them better cops.

Just as a person, but especially as a civil rights lawyer, most cop shows are unwatchable for me, because they normalize, justify, and glorify a wide range of completely unacceptable police behavior.  They're a series of "Oh, hell no!" moments and thus unpleasant to watch.  (I risk stroking out in rage if a syndicated episode of Blue Bloods comes on after something I was watching and I can't quickly locate the remote.)

9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Cybill Shepard

Shepherd.  Sam = Shepard, Cybill = Shepherd.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 14

UGH. While I stopped watching that Craptastic L&O: SVU after Meloni left (Season 10? 11?), and my rage knows no bounds this shitastic craptastic show has gone on longer than the Mothership, which was vastly superior, I accidentally found myself watching the last five minutes from season 15 and if there had been a brick wall handy, I would have bashed my head against it.

Typical Wolf, in having a gang rape by military persons, tried in a civilian court. The victim was also military. I know from my years of watching JAG, NCIS, etc., these assholes should have been at their court martial. It's not the first time Wolf's done this. Three other stories dealing with the military have been played out in civilian court.

BUT. That's not what had me raging. Why bother calling this Law & Order? Might as well change the title to: Not!Law&Order: formerly known as Law & Order:SVU. The way Liv and that other dude from Cold Case, wanted to break the law and were trying to convince Barba (ADA) to read the file on one of the defendants, which would prove he was guilty, blah, blah, blah.

It make my blood boil and bitterness rachet up to infinity, that this piece of shit show is still on the air, while the original recipe was cancelled.

• Love 8
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 2:22 PM, supposebly said:

Law and Order SVU isn't an exception to this at all. Benson just followed in Stabler's footsteps, didn't she?

At least on the mothership L&O, there were some consequences when it happened, even if often they weren't really enough.  But SVU is particularly egregious about it.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 9:10 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

UGH. While I stopped watching that Craptastic L&O: SVU after Meloni left (Season 10? 11?), and my rage knows no bounds this shitastic craptastic show has gone on longer than the Mothership, which was vastly superior, I accidentally found myself watching the last five minutes from season 15 and if there had been a brick wall handy, I would have bashed my head against it.

I stopped watching before season 1 even finished.  I liked Munch and Finn, but not enough to suffer through Stabler and Benson.

On ‎06‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 9:10 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

I know from my years of watching JAG, NCIS, etc., these assholes should have been at their court martial.

Speaking of NCIS, I liked it when they investigated cases which involved Navy & Marine personnel and didn't spend their time chasing international terrorists who had little, if any, connection to the service.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, proserpina65 said:

I stopped watching before season 1 even finished.  I liked Munch and Finn, but not enough to suffer through Stabler and Benson.

I think you mean season 2, because Finn didn't join the cast until season two. The first season had Michelle Hurd, who left either in the finale of season one, or the premiere of season two.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I think you mean season 2, because Finn didn't join the cast until season two. The first season had Michelle Hurd, who left either in the finale of season one, or the premiere of season two.

Oh, I guess I managed to miss season 1 completely.  I didn't realize he wasn't there from the beginning.  Oops.  Was it better in season 1?

28 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Speaking of NCIS, I liked it when they investigated cases which involved Navy & Marine personnel and didn't spend their time chasing international terrorists who had little, if any, connection to the service.

The premise sounded good, but even then I couldn't stand it because Michael Weatherly was always filling up the screen with his smirk playing an entitled frat boy with a badge and security clearance. My dad used to watch marathons of the show, though, so it was impossible to avoid.

• Love 6
57 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Oh, I guess I managed to miss season 1 completely.  I didn't realize he wasn't there from the beginning.  Oops.  Was it better in season 1?

I liked it. Sure, there were some clunkers, but I was SOOOO EXCITED to see Captain Don Cragen (Dann Florek) back on my screen. He was Squad Commander on the mothership for the first three years.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

but I was SOOOO EXCITED to see Captain Don Cragen (Dann Florek) back on my screen.

That definitely would be a plus.

42 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

but even then I couldn't stand it because Michael Weatherly was always filling up the screen with his smirk playing an entitled frat boy with a badge and security clearance.

He was annoying.  I managed to tune that out, mostly, but that's probably because I really liked Sasha Alexander as Kate.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I managed to tune that out, mostly, but that's probably because I really liked Sasha Alexander as Kate.

I watched NCIS until she left. I liked the goth girl but pretty much everything Gibbs (is that Mark Harmon) did made me irate so I bailed. 

I don't watch Black-ish on a regular basis, so I only just saw the episode where Bow and Dre argue about which college Junior should attend.  I turned it off after Dre called Elvis Costello a mediocre white artist.  Aw, hell no!

• LOL 3
  • Love 10