Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!": TV Moments That Make You Irate

• Start Topic

I stopped watching a British soap I had followed for years because at one point almost every single woman between the ages of 13-50 on that show was either pregnant, contemplating pregnancy or was afraid they were pregnant due to rape or a night of drunken sex or whatever.  It was like they couldn't possibly come up with a storyline for a woman that didn't involve a visit to a gynaecologist.

• Love 6
On 6/18/2021 at 6:19 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

A recent news story reminded me of an episode of King of Queens which, incidentally was probably the LAST episode I ever watched.  Carrie, for some reason (I think because she thinks she's getting old) is upset because the guys working on a construction site she passes aren't wolf whistling and catcalling her.  IIRC Doug pays some of them to do that to her to make her feel better.  I cannot find the words to convey how angry this episode made me.  It also led to one of my usual wonderings - do women write this stuff? and how do the actresses feel when they do an episode like this?

The court office I work in used to be located next to the holding cell for male prisoners and my office mates and I walked past it all the time.  We actually enjoyed the catcalls we occasionally got.  So it's entirely possible that a woman wrote that storyline and that the actress wasn't bothered by it.  Not all woman feel the same way about it. (To be clear, I'm just talking about catcalling, not stalking.)

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/23/2021 at 6:44 AM, Dr.OO7 said:

It's pathetic. They'll redeem rapists to the point of marrying them to their victims, but abortion is the topic that they find too controversial to risk losing viewers over.

I hate so much that they redeem rapists. I'm all for redeem characters but there are some that can't nor should they be redeemed. Rapists is one of them. I'll never forget on OLTL where they had Marty of all people show up at Todd's trial for raping Blair to defend him and insist that he had change. Ah no way in hell would any rape victim ever do that. It doesn't matter how much he "changed" it doesn't undo the fact that he raped Marty and tried to do it again. That also goes for mass murderers.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12
(edited)

Oh yeah. I can occasionally find mass murdering fictional characters entertaining, but that doesn't excuse what they've done or mean that they don't deserve any comeuppance they receive.

Rape actually seems to be much harder to get past and create any entertainment value—I just want those characters off my screen immediately, Do Not Pass Go.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 15
(edited)

Another moment from The Simpsons that annoys me. When Ned and Edna first hooked up, Homer was a jerk about it at first but when the two of them go to Moe’s together and Ned expresses how happy he is, Homer changes his mind and offers his support—and they are overheard by a bunch of Edna’s exes, who tell Ned how great she is. Because underneath the folksiness, Ned is a narrow minded churchie that can’t handle the fact that Edna has had tons of premarital sex, he gets upset and breaks up with her for it. And Marge blames Homer for and nags at him to fix it.

*pinches nose together and sighs*

This is why I cannot stand Marge. Homer didn’t even do anything bad, and yet she still finds a way to blame him. It’s just like when Kent Brockman swore on live TV because Homer ACCIDENTALLY spilled coffee on him, and Marge acted like Homer did it on purpose. But I guess it would have been too much for her to just call out Ned on his intolerance herself. 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6
On 9/21/2018 at 10:25 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

This change is just pissing me off and I couldn’t find a thread that was more appropriate, so I’m putting this here:

Since when is House a Hero, let alone an Icon?!? The Heroes & Icons channel pulled NYPD Blue and replaced it with House. House. From what I can remember, he was an ASSHOLE.

At least I have my Nash Bridges and JAG. And Hill Street Blues, Numb3rs.

In my book, House IS a hero, an icon and a freaking gorgeous god. I’d like a 24/7 channel of House.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

So if it’s okay to have TV movies on this thread, there’s one moment in Disney’s Descendants that infuriates me. Yes, the movie is terrible in general, they all are. But the one part that pisses me off to this day? The one thing they did that I absolutely can never forgive?

They made a rap version of “Be Our Guest.”

A. Rap. Version. Of. “Be Our Guest.”

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

So if it’s okay to have TV movies on this thread, there’s one moment in Disney’s Descendants that infuriates me. Yes, the movie is terrible in general, they all are. But the one part that pisses me off to this day? The one thing they did that I absolutely can never forgive?

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

I friggin' hate the Descendants franchise. No one will never fully comprehend how much.

On a lighter note, Spartan Girl, you might enjoy "Diva" of Musical Hell's review of Descendants. She's just as irritated about that... thing as you are.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I friggin' hate the Descendants franchise. No one will never fully comprehend how much.

On a lighter note, Spartan Girl, you might enjoy "Diva" of Musical Hell's review of Descendants. She's just as irritated about that... thing as you are.

I actually just watched that! 😀😀😀

• Love 3
On 8/12/2021 at 8:27 AM, Spartan Girl said:

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

The only version/variation of that song I've ever liked is Montgomery Burns asking us to see his vest, see his vest, made from real gorilla chest.  (I hate the original.)

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

The only version/variation of that song I've ever liked is Montgomery Burns asking us to see his vest, see his vest, made from real gorilla chest.  (I hate the original.)

So…uhm.  I didn’t know there was another version until a few years ago. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

Please tell me you weren't alive in the early 1990s, because any other explanation for not having heard that song countless times goes down some dark paths.

Well…I’ve been around for five decades. But I don’t really like music. Silence is so much more pleasing. I don’t like musicals. I loathe all things animated, even the Simpsons, but watching it was a friend group thing. And I don’t like Disney films.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

There was an SVU episode “Selfish” where the baby of an irresistible teen mother (Hillary Duff) died of measles because she got it from the child of an anti-vaxxer mom. Everyone thinks she should be charged for the baby’s death—everyone, that is, except Olivia, who actually feels sorry for her because she’s a more “respectable” mother who did take care of her son (except when it came to vaccinating him) and mewls that vaccination should be a choice and that “sometimes parents know best.”

Liv, two things:

1) Fuck you

2) “Parents know best”?! Are you kidding me?!?! You seem to have a very short memory. How many cases have you worked involving parents that were abusing/neglecting/God knows whatever else to their kids, and yet still claimed that they loved their child and they were doing what was best for them? Having kids doesn’t make you an expert on JACK SHIT, especially when it comes to medical science. That’s what doctors are for! So take your sanctimonious hypocrisy and shove it up your ass!

Liv sure changed her tune seasons later when her son caught measles because of an anti-vax mom 🙍‍♀️

• Useful 5
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Liv sure changed her tune seasons later when her son caught measles because of an anti-vax mom 🙍‍♀️

Oh yeah. Not that I’d ever wish disease on an innocent baby, but I think that was karma giving Liv a much-needed bitchslap. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I was watching a vintage TV series called, "The Millionaire" (1955-1960).  It currently runs on Decades channel.  It's interesting anthology series about what people would do if they received a million dollars.  Back then, it was HARD to spend a million dollars, so these were people who were literally set for life if they did things right.

For the most part the series was consistent with interesting stories, but sometimes there were clinkers.  I just caught an episode called, "The Emily Short Story".  Emily, a typist, is the lucky recipient, so she quits her job and decides to fulfill her dream of traveling to Paris. While flying there, she meets a handsome stranger whom she tries to converse with.  The guy is a bit aloof, but tried to be polite.  He tells her he plans on staying at a rooming house called the "Demi Ritz" (like demitasse coffee - half the rate, half the hot water...).  She decides to follow him and stays where he is.  Eventually we find out he's  a smuggler (diamonds to be exact) and even he warns her to stay away, that despite their mutual attraction to one another, he doesn't want her in trouble or to have to deal with the hazards of a smuggler's life.  Eventually, they part and as he walks away into night, she declares she love him and someday they'd be together (or something like that).  

This annoyed me!  These two barely knew each other for 2 days!  He was honest in that he didn't feel he was the guy for her or to involve her in his lifestyle.  She, despite having a ton of money and plenty of ways to meet eligible guys, insists on following this guy and is fascinated with the intrigue!  Girl, the man told you what he is!  Listen to him!

Edited by magicdog
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6

Not a moment, but a story line (or lack thereof). Criminal Minds.  I said in the UO thread that I enjoyed all the characters and never thought it got that bad through all 15 seasons.  However, I was so mad at the last three or so episodes in regards to Spencer.  They finally, in the middle of the final season (which was only 10 episodes, btw) give him a girlfriend. The last we see of her is him kissing her in an elevator.  Then, nothing.  His character was in the hospital and she didn't show up.  Hell, they didn't even mention her.  Even in the last episode, during Penelope's goodbye party, at which she was nowhere to be seen, when everyone was talking about what they were going to do next, they could have at least had a short dialog like "Hey, Spenc, where's Max?" "Oh, she had business out of town, but she sends her congratulations to you, Penelope, and says that she's sorry she couldn't make it." 

• Love 4
On 8/28/2021 at 6:42 AM, magicdog said:

I was watching a vintage TV series called, "The Millionaire" (1955-1960).  It currently runs on Decades channel.  It's interesting anthology series about what people would do if they received a million dollars.  Back then, it was HARD to spend a million dollars, so these were people who were literally set for life if they did things right.

For the most part the series was consistent with interesting stories, but sometimes there were clinkers.  I just caught an episode called, "The Emily Short Story".  Emily, a typist, is the lucky recipient, so she quits her job and decides to fulfill her dream of traveling to Paris. While flying there, she meets a handsome stranger whom she tries to converse with.  The guy is a bit aloof, but tried to be polite.  He tells her he plans on staying at a rooming house called the "Demi Ritz" (like demitasse coffee - half the rate, half the hot water...).  She decides to follow him and stays where he is.  Eventually we find out he's  a smuggler (diamonds to be exact) and even he warns her to stay away, that despite their mutual attraction to one another, he doesn't want her in trouble or to have to deal with the hazards of a smuggler's life.  Eventually, they part and as he walks away into night, she declares she love him and someday they'd be together (or something like that).  

This annoyed me!  These two barely knew each other for 2 days!  He was honest in that he didn't feel he was the guy for her or to involve her in his lifestyle.  She, despite having a ton of money and plenty of ways to meet eligible guys, insists on following this guy and is fascinated with the intrigue!  Girl, the man told you what he is!  Listen to him!

Yep, too bad Maya Angelou was too unknown back then for that character to have heeded the iconic author's advice of 'If someone shows you who they are the first time, believe them!' 

This somewhat reminds me of a Bonanza episode in which this bogus 'faith healer' attempted to con one of the Cartwrights' neighbors who had been crippled. The whole show built up the fact that he was nothing but a con HOWEVER he somehow did allow himself to get emotionally (and it was hinted possibly romantic) involved  with her. Anyway, in the climatic scene he attempted to 'lay hands' on her and get her to walk again but, in spite of her sincerely believing what he was telling her about faith, she was unable to do so. This got him to run away after she fell in front of him and went into a crying jag. But literally minutes after he'd amscrayed, she DID miraculously walk again - and then declared that she  believed he'd return to her and she'd WAIT for him! WHY?! He'd just shown her that he was willing to run out on her and leave her fallen on the floor  in a heap  (and virtually spelled out that his ego had been wounded by her not being healed ASAP rather than considering how tough life had to have been for her being crippled on the wild frontier ). IMO, she should have simply thanked God Himself for the miracle (and thankful that she'd avoided permanently hooking with a con ) and made the best of her own life either finding someone else to romance or maybe even seeing if she might prefer staying contentedly single for the rest of her life! Of course, she was (and the con) were one-shots so the viewers never learned what became of them afterwards. 

• Love 4

@Shannon L., yeah, a lot of people got frustrated with that storyline for Reid. There'd been so much hubbub over the years about Reid finding love of his own, and when it finally does happen, it's at the end, and very briefly at that. 

Course, the fact that the final season was so short didn't help matters, either - if they'd had more time, maybe they could've expanded further, who knows. That, and I kind of feel like in some ways, the idea of leaving Reid single for so long was partly intentional. He was such a fan favorite and there was always so much debate among fans over what kind of woman would be "right" for him, so to speak, that I think, on some level, the show figured it was better to just let fans imagine for themselves who he'd wind up with, if anyone. Even at the end, once Max was introduced, it was still open-ended enough to where people could imagine whether or not they worked out, depending on how they felt about her and the relationship as a whole. 

I liked Max, but it did feel a little hard to get fully invested in that relationship given how briefly we'd seen it. But I'm also not surprised that they waited until the end to introduce any kind of potential happy ending for him, or for any other team members, because that's how a lot of shows tend to do their series finales in general, it seems. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4

Caught two more episodes of "The Millionaire" this week, which give me mixed feelings.  Given it was during the first season, perhaps the writers were getting their footing, but I think the show should have been an hour long - as some things remained unresolved and no time was left to get a proper end.

In, "The Joe Seaton Story", the titular winner of the million never even knew he'd won!  At the beginning, we learn his wife is in the hospital after miscarrying their son.  He needs money for her hospitalization and asks for a raise.  He loses his [low paying] job because his dick boss chides him for not having money set aside for emergencies.  He loses it and tells his ex boss off.  Then he advertises in the newspapers offering to do anything (as long as it's moral and legal) for $1,000.00 (which he needed to pay his wife's medical bills).  He gets a call from a shady fellow named Peter Fullerton and his girlfriend  who ask him to switch identities for a few days because he was being sought after by a former cellmate and he just wanted to make it seem like he met a man who had the same name.  He agrees.  In between we see how devoted he is to his wife's needs while he visits her but never tells her what's happened with his job.  Later, Michael Anthony comes with the million dollar check and Fullerton accepts it (apparently Michael Anthony never thought to check for I.D.) and he and girlfriend start thinking they can escape to anywhere!  Then Fullerton is worried that the guy impersonating him will get a clue so he puts a bomb under the bed.  They worry his wife will find out too so Fullerton scales to her hospital room on the 7th floor and tries to silence her, she scares him off with screams, and he eventually falls to his death.  The girlfriend, as far as I recall, is just fine.  We see the loving couple embrace (and he is able to pay her bill with the 1K Fullerton paid him earlier) but we never officially know if Seaton ever knew about the million or recovered it!!  I think that's a cheat in my book!!  I hate to think the girlfriend got it all!!

Then there's The Ralph McKnight Story!  This one annoys for several reasons!  First, there's a laugh track attached and it seems very out of place - like it were a lost episode of a different sitcom.  Second, the story is a guy who was wronged by several people back in his army days and he finally has a way to get even.  He uses some of the money to find them and give them what they deserve!  One was a Sgt who purposely told him he didn't like him and actually hated him!  He would give him the worst jobs he could find.  One was a guy who stole his girlfriend at the time.  Another was a guy who did mean things to him and would say that he LIKED him!  

The first guy he found working as an instructor at a children's military academy - lying to a bunch of 8 year old boys about being in Guadalcanal (he never left the army base in TX).  McKnight is about to blow the lid off the lie in front of the kids but decides to continue the ruse due to being a nice guy.  The second guy ended up marrying the girl he stole from him and they own and run a diner together.  Nothing of importance seemed to happen to them.  The third guy is working in a flower shop with his wife who henpecks him.  McKnight buys the place and gives the ownership to the wife.  

In the end, he decides to buy a farm (a former farmer boy himself) and decides to romance the female detective who helped tracked down these people he held grudges against.

That's about it.  I know the show probably wanted to show McKnight as a good guy and that the jerks from his past are suffering their own personal hells, but I didn't think it was enough IMO!  If the show has been longer, it could have been more like "Count of Monte Cristo" in destroying these miserable people.

• Love 3

This week’s zombie episode of What If…? pissed me off, not only because they killed off all three female characters—Okoye, Hope, and Sharon—but also because Sharon’s end was treated as some big joke. And before you guys can argue that it’s a zombie episode and it’s expected that they kill off some characters, here’s a recent interview with the writers that reveals just how bad they nearly made Sharon’s death and why:

Between this and the Power Broker bullshit in TFATWS, it really feels like Sharon has become the butt monkey of the MCU. All for a stupid kiss. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If you hate a character, don't include them in your damn script. That sounds like something a preteen girl posting to fanfiction.net would write, not an alleged professional writer employed by Marvel Studios/Disney.

They tried to do damage control with this 

I agree with the poster. I don’t buy it. She was the only character in the episode whose gruesome death was laughed off as a joke. The other deaths were handled with slightly more gravitas. One cool moment with the Iron Man gauntlet does not make up for that. And this after TFATWS turned her into the villain to justify the Steggy Endgame, which shows a pretty clear Madonna/Whore complex with the writers where both Peggy and Sharon are concerned. Which I’m still fuming about, in case you couldn’t tell.

But in all honesty it feels like other than Saint Captain Carter, none of the What If…? episodes have done right by the female characters. Even Nebula’s femme fatale storyline in the Star Lord T’Challa episode (best one so far) all boiled down to getting her to forgive a redeemed Thanos. Ugh.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Back to The Millionaire:  The Philip Sargent Story (Dec. 1955)

Sargent is the titular millionaire.  He received the money shortly before he is scheduled to marry his fiancee and go on their honeymoon.  The rule for recipients is they are unable to tell anyone (other than their spouse) about the money or where it came from.  He plans to tell her after the marriage.  

He gets his money and decides to buy the cabin they had been planning to honeymoon at (which is in the mountains) and takes about 40-50K in cash with him on the trip.  He and his finacee get hitched at the justice of the peace as planned and head for the cabin.  She discovers the loot in a suitcase and is suspicious.  Later on the drive, they hear a radio report that there was a bank robbery and a man matching Sargent's description was seen in the area they're traveling in with 50K in stolen funds.  She's convinced he stole it and tried to convince him to take it back.  He naturally tried to explain the money wasn't stolen, it's legally theirs and he's explain everything when they got to the cabin.  She refuses to believe him. 

They arrive at the cabin (it's early December and it's snowing) and prepare for their wedding night but the wife refuses and suggested getting an annulment since she can't see herself married to a thief.  He tells her the truth as he's able to tell it, but she still refuses to believe him and tells him to sleep in the car!  In the snow!  Without heat!  He goes and has to run the car to get warmth from the heater.   She is nice and comfortable in the cabin.  He starts to think maybe he should annul the marriage since she doesn't believe him and he never gave her reason to think he'd rob a bank.

At some point, he has to come back into the cabin.  They argue more, saying he deserves better than to be thrown out on his honeymoon for something he didn't do or that his own wife didn't trust him.    Two state troopers show up and ask if they heard anything about the robbery, etc.  Wife looks at the money bag resting on the fireplace and it looked like she was thinking if she should turn Sargent in to the cops or not.  Eventually the radio announces the man they were looking for and the loot was found and everything is fine.  Husband and wife reconcile, the end.

NO!

Perhaps it was the standards of the time, but this was the wrong ending!  This couple presumably have been together at least a year if not longer.  Usually, you'd know if they were up to dirty business.  Granted, the story of how Sargent got the million is  scant (none of the recipients knows who gave them the money or why, only that they can't tell anyone but their spouse about it) and seems fantastic, but he deserved the benefit of the doubt.  She was so eager to just annul their marriage rather than listen to him and it's not until the announcement Sargent was NOT the robber, that she finally believes him!

If this episode were made today, I would have had them go their separate ways, because obviously there were trust issues on her part.  She treated him like crap!!  It wasn't until the real bad guy was caught before she finally thought he was telling the truth.  

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, magicdog said:

If this episode were made today, I would have had them go their separate ways, because obviously there were trust issues on her part.  She treated him like crap!!  It wasn't until the real bad guy was caught before she finally thought he was telling the truth.  

I think you could make the episode with the same ending today, by going into her backstory and explaining why she had trust issues.

Give her a past relationship with a verbally abusive and gaslighting ex; one that was actually involved in criminal activity (drugs is an easy and generic choice).  Her relationship with Sargent, in which he treated her perfectly, is the first since said ex.   And Sargent knows the whole sordid affair.  That could make the whole story still make sense, including the reconciliation.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Give her a past relationship with a verbally abusive and gaslighting ex; one that was actually involved in criminal activity (drugs is an easy and generic choice).  Her relationship with Sargent, in which he treated her perfectly, is the first since said ex.   And Sargent knows the whole sordid affair.  That could make the whole story still make sense, including the reconciliation.

Agreed, but the episode gave no indication that she had legit reason for the trust issues.  Not a bad ex, or Sargent had been a reformed ex-con, NOTHING!  She distrusted him solely based on a news report and coincidence of the bad guy being in the area!  TBH, it was like a bad sitcom joke.  There was an episode of "I Love Lucy" in which she and Ethel are driving with a woman and due to a news report are dumped in the middle of nowhere because the passenger thought they were two convicts who escaped from a prison all because they matched the rough description of the cons.  At least the woman was a stranger and had a reason to suspect Lucy & Ethel as bad guys!  This happened to a guy who had been no stranger to his fiancee!      

Among the many, many things that infuriated me about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is that apparently during the five-year period Sam was Snapped, none of the remaining Avengers — namely, Steve — bothered to check in on Sarah and her kids and maybe could’ve helped support them financially. I assume that Steve was aware Sam had a family and during this time was no longer on the run, judging by how he was able to start support groups. And yet somehow it never occurred to him to maybe go see them, offer his condolences?!? The Steve Rogers I knew through Infinity War would have never been so shortsighted. The Steve in Endgame on the other hand…well, let’s not go there.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 8/28/2021 at 7:42 AM, magicdog said:

"But I can change him!" 😉

Edited by SmithW6079
  • LOL 5
On 9/18/2021 at 12:00 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Among the many, many things that infuriated me about The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is that apparently during the five-year period Sam was Snapped, none of the remaining Avengers — namely, Steve — bothered to check in on Sarah and her kids and maybe could’ve helped support them financially. I assume that Steve was aware Sam had a family and during this time was no longer on the run, judging by how he was able to start support groups. And yet somehow it never occurred to him to maybe go see them, offer his condolences?!? The Steve Rogers I knew through Infinity War would have never been so shortsighted. The Steve in Endgame on the other hand…well, let’s not go there.

Earth's Greatest Heroes really are a selfish bunch, aren't they?  Sam was on the run with Steve between Civil War and Infinity War, they had to have had at least one conversation about his family back in Louisiana.  All the writers had to do is insert one line of dialogue between Sam and Sarah where Sarah tells Sam why she refused Steve's help.   I don't think the writers of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier know how badly they wrote Steve.  He comes across as so callous using Sharon in Civil War then promptly forgetting about her while he is on the run for five years and his treatment of Sam's family.  

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Earth's Greatest Heroes really are a selfish bunch, aren't they?  Sam was on the run with Steve between Civil War and Infinity War, they had to have had at least one conversation about his family back in Louisiana.  All the writers had to do is insert one line of dialogue between Sam and Sarah where Sarah tells Sam why she refused Steve's help.   I don't think the writers of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier know how badly they wrote Steve.  He comes across as so callous using Sharon in Civil War then promptly forgetting about her while he is on the run for five years and his treatment of Sam's family.  

To be fair, the Russos already ruined Steve in Endgame. But TFATWS had the chance to do damage control by having Steve look out for Sam’s family or get Sharon to safety, but failed. All to do the contrived plots of race relation/inequities and ruin Sharon’s character.

For the record, I get what the show was trying to accomplish by addressing racism, I just don’t think they did it well.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

To be fair, the Russos already ruined Steve in Endgame. But TFATWS had the chance to do damage control by having Steve look out for Sam’s family or get Sharon to safety, but failed. All to do the contrived plots of race relation/inequities and ruin Sharon’s character.

For the record, I get what the show was trying to accomplish by addressing racism, I just don’t think they did it well.

After watching TFATWS and how it wasted the chance to do damage control, I am not looking forward to Hawkeye.  The Russos, et al. took Clint to a dark place in Endgame and just left him there.  I suspect Hawkeye is going to ignore that because once Clint was reunited with his family all is well.  The last trailer for it that I saw hints that Clint will face some consequence for his actions during those 5 years, but I need to see the emotional aftermath.  I fear this show will gloss over it.

• Love 3

You guys remember what a giant mansplaining asshole Gio on Ugly Betty was, right? Their whole “relationship” started because he took such offense to Betty asking for extra tomatoes on her sandwich and while he prided himself a “sandwich artist” he obviously didn’t have a clue how to work in customer service. And when Daniel rightfully fired his ass for being such a prick, the whole thing was made out to be Betty’s fault and she bent over backwards to get his job back even when she shouldn’t have.

It only got worse from there. Gio went full-on Nice Guy with Betty, and when she kindly told him that she didn’t want to be in another relationship right now, he gets pissy and bitter. And instead of him being called out for being a douchebag, she tries to make nice with him, only to have the episode be framed as “oh Betty’s insensitive to Gio’s feelings, she cares too much about what everyone else thinks of her.” While that last part was certainly true, she didn’t owe Gio shit; she wasn’t obligated to return his feelings and just because his feelings were hurt did NOT give him the right to treat her like dirt!

• Love 7

@SpartanGirl,

Now you know why it frustrated me to have the same thing happen to Mary Richards over and over again with Ted Baxter and Sue Ann Nivens. It seemed she constantly was guilt-tripped into caving in the second either of these bullying clods' feelings were remotely in danger of being 'hurt'. 

• Love 6

The topic of how Girl Meets World weighed down its predecessor's Boy Meets World's legacy on the 'Unpopular Opinion's Subforum brought to mind one of its most infuriating failings.

The protagonist Riley's claimed bestie Maya had started to have a more positive outlook on life, take an interest in school and was working to improve herself. Yet this was considered a threat to the 'world order' that Riley insisted on having . In 'Girl Meets Upstate'  she actually openly said Maya was losing 'herself ' and that Maya was becoming her and that there couldn't be 'two Rileys ' for the world to work in front of Shawn. Instead of Maya telling Riley that she was flattering herself and/or Shawn telling Riley that that was nothing but self-serving double-speak that she was using to validate her OWN security being threatened by Maya's progress and that Maya should never let ANYONE trash her progress and dreams, Maya and Shawn just were accepting  that rather toxic spin. Whatever happened to  BMW's 'Dream. Try, Do good. Believe in yourself.'? 

Putting aside the supposed exaltation of Riley the show evidently expected its viewers to adhere to for a moment,  would anyone watching this consider trashing and dissing a person's progress something an actual friend would do- EVER?

It seemed that,  instead of encouraging    even financially and emotionally struggling teens like Shawn to tap onto their best potentials via holding onto their beliefs and dreams, GMW's message was that financially and emotionally struggling teens like Maya had better content themselves with only being worshipers of their privileged claimed bestie's ambitions but otherwise stay frustrated and unambitious or they'd be 'losing' their personalities instead of improving said personalities. And NO ONE (not   Cory-Maya's teacher or even Katy, Maya's mother) attempted to stop Riley from attempting to force Maya's square peg to conform to Riley's round holed dictums! ARGGH!!!

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Blergh said:

The topic of how Girl Meets World weighed down its predecessor's Boy Meets World's legacy on the 'Unpopular Opinion's Subforum brought to mind one of its most infuriating failings.

The protagonist Riley's claimed bestie Maya had started to have a more positive outlook on life, take an interest in school and was working to improve herself. Yet this was considered a threat to the 'world order' that Riley insisted on having . In 'Girl Meets Upstate' that she actually openly said Maya was losing 'herself' and that Maya was becoming her and that there couldn't be 'two Rileys ' for the world to work in front of Shawn. Instead of Maya telling Riley that she was flattering herself and/or Shawn telling Riley that that was nothing but self-serving double-speak that she was using to validate her OWN security being threatened by Maya's progress and that Maya should never let ANYONE trash her progress and dreams, Maya and Shawn just accepting that rather toxic spin. Whatever happened to  BMW's 'Dream. Try, Do good. Believe in yourself.'? 

Putting aside the supposed exaltation of Riley the show evidently expected its viewers to adhere to for a moment,  would anyone watching this consider trashing and dissing a person's progress something an actual friend would do- EVER?

It seemed that,  instead of encouraging    even financially and emotionally struggling teens like Shawn to tap onto their best potentials via holding onto their beliefs and dreams, GMW's message was that financially and struggling teens like Maya had better content themselves with only being worshipers of their privileged claimed bestie's ambitions but otherwise stay frustrated and unambitious or they're 'losing' their personalities instead of improving them. And NO ONE (not   Cory-Maya's teacher or even Katy, Maya's mother) attempted to stop Riley from attempting to force Maya's square peg to conform to Riley's round holed dictums! ARGGH!!!

Wow, that is appalling. Boy Meets World became pretty much unwatchable towards the end, but at least it wasn't offensively repugnant.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

The protagonist Riley's claimed bestie Maya had started to have a more positive outlook on life, take an interest in school and was working to improve herself. Yet this was considered a threat to the 'world order' that Riley insisted on having . In 'Girl Meets Upstate' that she actually openly said Maya was losing 'herself' and that Maya was becoming her and that there couldn't be 'two Rileys ' for the world to work in front of Shawn. Instead of Maya telling Riley that she was flattering herself and/or Shawn telling Riley that that was nothing but self-serving double-speak that she was using to validate her OWN security being threatened by Maya's progress and that Maya should never let ANYONE trash her progress and dreams, Maya and Shawn just accepting that rather toxic spin. Whatever happened to  BMW's 'Dream. Try, Do good. Believe in yourself.'? 

It seemed that,  instead of encouraging    even financially and emotionally struggling teens like Shawn to tap onto their best potentials via holding onto their beliefs and dreams, GMW's message was that financially and struggling teens like Maya had better content themselves with only being worshipers of their privileged claimed bestie's ambitions but otherwise stay frustrated and unambitious or they're 'losing' their personalities instead of improving them. And NO ONE (not   Cory-Maya's teacher or even Katy, Maya's mother) attempted to stop Riley from attempting to force Maya's square peg to conform to Riley's round holed dictums! ARGGH!!!

I hated Riley’s belief that she was the good girl and Maya was the bad girl and that the show validated Riley dismantling of Maya’s progress.  They were actually acting horrified that Maya wasn’t getting in trouble in school and starting to get good grades.  I don’t understand what the writers were thinking.   In the end Maya was a much better person than Riley and yet we’re told Riley is a great person.  Meanwhile there’s tons of examples of Riley being terrible but everyone around her indulged her.  

Let me add Riley forcing hugs on Mackle who made it clear she was uncomfortable with physical touch.  And they never acknowledged how inconsiderate it was.

Edited by Luckylyn
  • Love 6
48 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

In the end Maya was a much better person than Riley and yet we’re told Riley is a great person.

If Riley had any ability to self reflect I bet she would realize that is exactly why she tried to knock Maya back down. Riley's entire self created persona was as the "good girl" to Maya's "bad girl". If Maya is becoming the good girl, where does that leave Riley?

Riley Matthews was one of the most self absorbed, delusional characters I'd seen in ages. She truly believed she was a saint when really she was the worst friend of their little group, the most selfish, the bossiest and most controlling and not nearly as nice as she tells everyone she is. 

I was team Maya all the way. I actually watched the whole run of the show (the shame! it burns!!!!) but I was watching for Maya and the other side characters, not Riley. 

• Love 6
On 10/8/2021 at 3:39 PM, Luckylyn said:

I hated Riley’s belief that she was the good girl and Maya was the bad girl and that the show validated Riley dismantling of Maya’s progress.  They were actually acting horrified that Maya wasn’t getting in trouble in school and starting to get good grades.  I don’t understand what the writers were thinking.   In the end Maya was a much better person than Riley and yet we’re told Riley is a great person.  Meanwhile there’s tons of examples of Riley being terrible but everyone around her indulged her.  

Let me add Riley forcing hugs on Mackle who made it clear she was uncomfortable with physical touch.  And they never acknowledged how inconsiderate it was.

Not just inconsiderate but downright bullying- as it is for any competent person of any age to hug someone who has TOLD them that they are uncomfortable with hugging for whatever reason/s  . In this case, Riley knew that Smackle (AKA Isadora)  had been diagnosed as a high-functioning  autistic person.  But then again, Riley was depicted bullying her, Maya, Farkle, Lucas, Zay, Auggie,Cory,Topanga and even Mr. Feeny,etc. Yet, even in the Very Special Bullying Episode, at NO point did Riley or anyone else acknowledge that she herself had often been a mean bully but kept the pretense that she was a strictly nice, wonderful and good person. Yes, it  was wrong for some random unknown person (or anyone else)  to have bullied her (even with her  history) but it would have made that episode so much more satisfying if Riley had come to terms with the realization that she herself needed to work on changing for the better and quit being a bully since she now knew what it was like to be on the receiving end. Instead it was, 'I'm perfect so I won't change one iota- EVER so quit bullying me!' 

I've edited this to add that, evidently the MO of the Very Special Bullying Episode was the writers addressing the fact that the performer Rowan Blanchard HAD been bullied online by those who disliked the character of Riley. OK, I FULLY agree that it's wrong to vilify a performer for performing the dialogue and actions of a character and, yes, I DO feel sorry that Miss Blanchard herself had had to endure online flak for what the character did (and perhaps her most sincere moments on the show was when Miss Blanchard cried tears far beyond what the character of Riley's angst was over having been bullied). However,   it seems the writers used the 'I'm perfect so I won't change one iota' Riley's end reaction to validate refusing to address even constructive criticism of how flawed  the character had been written and were doing a 'screw you' to those viewers who wanted to see the character improve by digging in their heels and refusing to consider   to attempting to do so. IOW, rather than having any consideration for the viewers who didn't worship Riley or even how their writing had contributed to the minor performer  Miss Blanchard being unfairly targeted, they just circled their own wagons and refused to change things for the better. Oh, and I saw a recent interview with Miss Blanchard about a more contemporary role and the interviewer asked her about GMW but Miss Blanchard seemed embarrassed that it had been brought up and added that she didn't want to revisit the character or show. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
On 10/9/2021 at 10:14 PM, Blergh said:

Oh, and I saw a recent interview with Miss Blanchard about a more contemporary role and the interviewer asked her about GMW but Miss Blanchard seemed embarrassed that it had been brought up and added that she didn't want to revisit the character or show. 

Maybe she realizes what a hot mess it was. The unfortunate thing is, I think Rowan is quite charismatic and while a typical "Disney" actress, I think she had potential and could have done more with the character of Riley but the writers insisted on forcing the narrative that Riley was perfect as is and didn't allow the character to grow, and by extension they didn't allow Rowan to grow much as an actress. 

• Love 4

Here's another anger inducing episode from "The Millionaire":

In, The Salvatore Buonarotti Story (1956), we meet an immigrant shoemaker and his family:  a devoted wife, a daughter who is engaged and a son who hopes to attend medical school on scholarship.

For some bizarre reason, Salvatore decides he has to have a painting by Michalangelo.  The cost?  THE ENTIRE MILLION DOLLARS!  He hasn't even told his wife about the money much less what he spent on this rare piece of art.  He brings it home and hangs it up on the wall in the living room,  The wife likes it, but he lies about where he got it or how much he spent for it.  Meanwhile, the son is studying for a potential scholarship to medical school.  There are 1200 people vying for a scholarship and only the top 4 scores can get it.  We learn sadly  that the son came in 5th ("I lost by a nose!").  Finally, Salvatore gets a clue and decides to sell the painting back and get a copy made for about 50K.  (something he should have done in the first place!).  He announces that his son will go to medical school debt free, his daughter will have a proper dowry and a big fat wedding, while he and his wife will take a nice vacation to the old country to visit family.  The wife is never the wiser about the painting.  Salvatore begins to tell his wife about the money as we fade out.

The end.

I know we all have our selfish/clueless moments but I had a hard time buying that an older Italian immigrant business owner who had a family with these needs coming up would spend so much money on one item!  Remember, back then a million bucks was difficult for the average person to spend, and it's not like these potential expenses like the upcoming marriage and medical school weren't at the forefront before he received the million.   

• Love 2
(edited)

OK, get ready for  a volcano!

This week on The Millionaire (The Bob Fielding Story from 1957), Fielding is a hotel clerk who makes a meager living but takes care of his aging widowed mother.  He is pseudo engaged to his girlfriend whom he wants to marry but she too has to take care of her aging widowed mom and they seemed doomed to have to wait to make their dreams of wedded bliss come true.  His mother approaches him and shows him a pamphlet of a nice elderly living facility she and the girlfriend's mom can move into, but they'd need a deposit of about $3500.00.  Keep in mind, that in 1957, the average salary was about 3K (and a lot of working stiffs made a lot less than that a year!) and other than $300 bucks in the bank in savings, Fielding just doesn't have that kind of money.

While working, Fielding meets a hotel guest who happens to be an old friend from his army days in WW2.  In fact, Fielding saved his life on the battlefield and got 2 slugs for his trouble.  Fielding tells his friend, Eddie about his troubles. Eddie suggests he join him in his room for a poker game he's organizing with "a couple of guys from Chicago" (hinting they may be mobsters with The Outfit) and he can use his $300 to buy in and with his awesome skills, he'll win the money he needs is no time.   Fielding agrees.  

They start the game and sure enough,  Fielding wins the money he needs.  Then the Chicago guys get annoyed and then tell him they'd let him keep his winnings, but when they want, they'll come looking for him and take everything he owns at some undetermined point in the future.  Fielding is scared, but it's not like he has much to lose.

Then he gets a visit from Mike Anthony and his heart sinks.  Now, he's afraid they'll take his million!  After he sends the moms off to the home, he marries his love and explains what he's afraid of.  They decide to leave town, first to honeymoon in SF, then off to Europe.  While in Italy, Fielding  is scared "they" will come after him and take everything.  He becomes paranoid wondering which person "out there" could be from Chicago to claim the money.  He contacts Eddie and tells him to give the guys 5K each (20K in all) and hopes the men will be satisfied with the "debt".  Eddie contacts him and says the men think since he was able to give them  that much , he certain has more, and ask for 100k! Fielding  really starts freaking out.  His wife says maybe they should just talk to the men and straighten this out.  Eventually, he does locate the men (how I have no clue) and asks if they'd just leave him be.  The guys all look at one another and tell him they were only kidding and after he left the game, they told Eddie to tell him they were just fooling around and he has nothing to worry about!  In fact, they never even got the 5K Fielding gave to Eddie!! 

This means Eddie kept the 20K and had the temerity to ask for 100K more!!!  Worse still, the ending only has Fielding relieved he was off the hook (which he never really was on in the first place), and we never see Eddie get his comeuppance!  I was hoping there would have been some reverse trick to play on Eddie for what he did - but NO!  He got 20K consequence free!  No shame either!   

There was also a wasted subplot in which the old folks home went bankrupt and mom was going to end up on the streets - so Fielding buys it and saves the residents.  I think they should have used that time to give Eddie what he deserved! 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 3
(edited)

Well, after an attaboy for The Millionaire in the "Hell Yeah" section, we're back to a Hell No this week!

In, The Rod Matthews Story (1958), the titular millionaire was living in isolation in the Solomon Islands.  He took to this life after having been publicly disgraced in a military court.  One of his cohorts lied about his actions and the damage that came from those actions.  It turned out the cohort was responsible but was out to protect his own behind.  This lead to a court martial, dishonorable discharge for Matthews and even his own parents disowning him.  He also caused the breakup of Matthews' relationship with his fiancee and she ends up marrying him instead.

After he receives the money, he returns to civilization in the hopes of getting even with the cohort, named John McKuehn.  Turns out McKuehn relocated to the DC area and is a political big shot.  The woman McKuhen stole is now dead.  He also has a younger sister, Nancy who becomes Matthews' method to get close to his target.  Along the way, he does start to fall for her, but still plans to expose McKuehen.  He pretends to represent him to a Congressman and offers him a bribe.  The Congressman keeps a recorder in his office for such events and after rejecting the bribe, he puts the word out.  

Later, Matthews comes to McKuehen's house, and finds him in a wheelchair.  Surprised, he asked what happened.  Car accident.  He also thought it was a form of payback for the lie he told in court years ago.  He claims to have been doing good works since then to make up for it.  Matthews forgives McKuehen almost on the spot, plans to call the papers about the bribe, and of course plans to continue wooing Nancy.

The end.

NO!!

First of all, this is DC we're talking about!  If a man had no trouble lying in a military court to save his own hide and ruin another man's reputation to the point in which his own family reject him, it's not much of a stretch to continue that in a political arena.  Sure, they could have had a "Count of Monte Cristo"  set up in which Matthews' quest for vengeance is either sweet or sour, but making McKuehen a victim just because was was in a wheelchair?  Not buying that! 

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 2

An episode from The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show that always bugged me: Linus tries yet another attempt to give up his blanket by giving it to Snoopy. Of course this lasts about ten seconds and Linus comes running to try to take it back—only to find that Snoopy’s made it into a sports coat. He immediately goes ballistic and blames Charlie Brown for having such a “stupid beagle” even though giving it to Snoopy was his idea (and a dumb one at that).

But that’s not the part that bugs me.

After freaking out and going into withdrawal etc, Linus ultimately manages to get through the night and realizes he’s kicked his blanket. But when Charlie Brown comes by to give him a replacement blanket, Linus immediately latches onto the new blanket, bewailing that Charlie Brown got him “hooked” again.

Linus, Charlie Brown is not to blame for your issues. The only reason he even got you a new blanket was because you threw a fit and guilted him for something his dog did. If you were really “cured”, you have easily just told him “Oh thanks, Charlie Brown, but I realized I don’t need a blanket anymore.” Just admit you’re an addict and stop making your friend feel bad — he gets enough crap from your sociopath sister!

• Love 14

I haven't forgotten how Shroeder called the gang to task for the fact that no one sent Charlie Brown a Valentine card- yet he hadn't bothered to send one to the Round Headed kid either ( but didn't fess up to that fact when dissing the others). Yes, Lucy was openly mean but at least Lucy always let Charlie Brown know where she stood with him- except when it came to holding the footballs. 

• Love 10

I've always believed Charlie Brown would have benefitted from nicer friends and more attentive parents. I mean, seriously, where are the Browns?? I know we always gripe about modern "helicopter parenting", but don't you think this is just a little bit of an over-correction?!?

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I've always believed Charlie Brown would have benefitted from nicer friends and more attentive parents. I mean, seriously, where are the Browns?? I know we always gripe about modern "helicopter parenting", but don't you think this is just a little bit of an over-correction?!?

In fairness all of the parents were offscreen (i.e. absent). And all we ever heard from them and the teachers was “wonk wonk wonk.”

The only adult who ever did anything of substance was Linus’ blanket-hating grandma. And while she did have a point on Linus needing to give it up at some point, she didn’t sound endearing.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

In fairness all of the parents were offscreen (i.e. absent). And all we ever heard from them and the teachers was “wonk wonk wonk.”

The only adult who ever did anything of substance was Linus’ blanket-hating grandma. And while she did have a point on Linus needing to give it up at some point, she didn’t sound endearing.

What about Linus and Lucy's mother? She somehow was able to give birth then give bike rides to their baby brother Rerun without ever showing her face! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Another ire-inducing moment comes from It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown. Lucy costs the football team the whole game because she just can't resist pulling her little football stunt with Charlie Brown over and over. But who does everyone blame for losing?  Charlie Brown.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

Anyone with eyes could have seen that Lucy kept pulling the ball away. But is she held accountable? Does anyone call her out on her crap?! Nope. And to make things worse, she has the nerve to gang up on him at the homecoming dance with Peppermint Patty*** and the other girls, blaming him for their loss and taunt him about how he'll probably embarrass himself with escorting the Homecoming Queen (aka the Little Red-Haired Girl)

I have watched that poor boy be bullied, receive rocks instead of Halloween candy from adults, mistakenly sent to an animal hospital when he and Snoopy both got into a racing accident (from Charlie Brown All-Stars, I believe), and so and so on...so for me to say THAT was the most unforgivable, anger-inducing thing that was ever done to Charlie Brown speaks VOLUMES.

**Peppermint Patty was especially and uncharacteristically cruel here too. Yeah, she was a jerk plenty of times in the past, but they were mostly unintentional and she did get called out on it. Here she was just mean.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Another ire-inducing moment comes from It's Your First Kiss, Charlie Brown. Lucy costs the football team the whole game because she just can't resist pulling her little football stunt with Charlie Brown over and over. But who does everyone blame for losing?  Charlie Brown.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

Anyone with eyes could have seen that Lucy kept pulling the ball away. But is she held accountable? Does anyone call her out on her crap?! Nope. And to make things worse, she has the nerve to gang up on him at the homecoming dance with Peppermint Patty*** and the other girls, blaming him for their loss and taunt him about how he'll probably embarrass himself with escorting the Homecoming Queen (aka the Little Red-Haired Girl)

I have watched that poor boy be bullied, receive rocks instead of Halloween candy from adults, mistakenly sent to an animal hospital when he and Snoopy both got into a racing accident (from Charlie Brown All-Stars, I believe), and so and so on...so for me to say THAT was the most unforgivable, anger-inducing thing that was ever done to Charlie Brown speaks VOLUMES.

**Peppermint Patty was especially and uncharacteristically cruel here too. Yeah, she was a jerk plenty of times in the past, but they were mostly unintentional and she did get called out on it. Here she was just mean.

You're right that it WAS infuriating that not only did Lucy NOT get called out for having deliberately sabotaged the game(to say nothing of injuring him in front of the whole school)  but that she even JOINED the verbal lynching of Wishy Washy (and Charlie Brown himself just sadly resigned himself to it). Oh, yeah, and for Peppermint Patty to JOIN Lucy instead of (at the very least) try to reason with her and call her 'Lucille' which would have been her normal MO,   was WORSE than when she invited herself, Marcie and Franklin to CB's house for Thanksgiving then berated him for substituting toast and popcorn for a traditional multi-course T Day meal! 

The only defense I can think of for having ALL that having happened to the Round Headed Kid was that somehow it was to set him up for having ONE perfect evening after kissing the Little Red Headed Girl ( whose name that Linus revealed was Heather) - which he wound up being the life of the party but, alas, would retain no real memory of. 

Mind you, the above paragraph is by no means a justification for the multiple dump session prior to what happened but I guess this Sparky couldn't let CB have even a moderately pleasant time prior to getting that kiss. 

• Love 4