Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!": TV Moments That Make You Irate

• Start Topic

Along those lines of undeserved redemption, I hated how on Boy Meets World, after Shawn Hunter's negligent  male parent Chet Hunter died, everyone from Shawn onward pretended Chet had been a wonderful, caring and attentive parent and not one person piped up that , as sad as it was that he died with so much unresolved, he was  anything but that. Oh, and every utterance from his supposed 'ghost' said got treated as though it was from Mt. Sinai tablets. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'd like to say the same, but Spike wore out my vocal cords a couple of decades ago.

But...but...he has a soul now!

• LOL 16

For all those reasons, the final season of Tangled the Series pissed me off so much. Cassandra does a complete 180 heel turn because she finds out Gothel was her bio mom and somehow blames Rapunzel for the fact that her mother abandoned her. That devolution of her character was bad enough. But even worse is how Rapunzel acts like a complete doormat in the situation, giving her chance after chance after chance...and in the finale Cassandra has a last minute redemption and all her crimes are swept neatly under the rug and all is forgiven.

It was such a good show before that last season too. What a shame.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, ABay said:

But...but...he has a soul now!

That was my Buffy Hell No! moment. Spike without a soul, sexy beast! Spike with a soul...zzzzz...oh, sorry, must have dozed off. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

Discussion in a few other threads about child abuse and keeping family secrets (not connected BTW) made me think of a made for TV movie I watched years ago that still makes my blood boil when I remember the ending.  The movie was called Something About Amelia and in it the something is that Amelia is being molested by her father.  I don't remember the movie all that well but the ending will stay with me forever.  

Spoiler

The wife forgives her husband for molesting their daughter and the family begins the journey to healing - barf.  

• Love 1
On 5/25/2021 at 2:16 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Something About Amelia

I remember the movie when it debuted because it was supposed to bring awareness to the problem of molestation/incest and was considered shocking for TV at the time.  I can't believe they went with that ending.  It should have ended with mom divorcing her husband and his ass getting beat in prison.  

• Love 14
On 5/25/2021 at 5:16 PM, WinnieWinkle said:

Discussion in a few other threads about child abuse and keeping family secrets (not connected BTW) made me think of a made for TV movie I watched years ago that still makes my blood boil when I remember the ending.  The movie was called Something About Amelia and in it the something is that Amelia is being molested by her father.  I don't remember the movie all that well but the ending will stay with me forever.  

Hide contents

The wife forgives her husband for molesting their daughter and the family begins the journey to healing - barf.  

Not complete barf.  I happen to be a victim of abuse when I was a young teen.  I finally got the courage to confront my step father as an adult (30), aft my mother died, and with some help, we were able to move past it.  Me & my siblings still try to ensure - 25+ yrs later - to never let him alone w/young females, and I will never be able to hug him again (in fact only my children & husband are allowed to hug me), but do we have a relationship.  He raised me aft all and supported us financially when my deadbeat alcoholic father dropped out of the picture.  

• Useful 2
(edited)

roamyn,

I'm truly sorry that you had those horrific experiences and I hope you and your sibs have gotten counseling to learn how to cope with what happened.

I hate to sound critical but there is a BIG difference between an adult survivor making the decision to somehow have a guarded bond with someone who abused them in childhood- and a minor victim's parent making the decision to keep the abuser in their lives by staying married to said abuser (and, evidently, never considering prosecuting her child's rapist) . IOW, you made your choice as an adult but the minor Amelia (and her real life counterparts) had no choice- she just had to somehow exist with the choices  her  ' parent made. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 18
7 hours ago, Blergh said:

roamyn,

I'm truly sorry that you had those horrific experiences and I hope you and your sibs have gotten counseling to learn how to cope with what happened.

I hate to sound critical but there is a BIG difference between an adult survivor making the decision to somehow have a guarded bond with someone who abused them in childhood- and a minor victim's parent making the decision to keep the abuser in their lives by staying married to said abuser (and, evidently, never considering prosecuting her child's rapist) . IOW, you made your choice as an adult but the minor Amelia (and her real life counterparts) had no choice- she just had to somehow exist with the choices  her  ' parent made. 

You’re right.  I didn’t think of it from the fact that she had no choice.  Thanx for reminding ,e.  And not everyone has the same response, either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

My most hated moments seem to be about pregnancy and women's agency in that story. Doesn't really surprise me.

If I may vent about Big Bang Theory for a moment: I liked the show, it wasn't perfect, but a lot of the geeky stuff was funny to me, since I am a fan of comics and some other genre stuff. The writing for female characters was hit and miss, but whatever, it was what it was... I even liked the last season, while some people that I know were complaining how it lost something and was just crawling along... Then the topic of children came around with Leonard and Penny. Now, every time a woman on TV expresses the opinion that she doesn't want to have children, I start shrinking a little, because I already know what is coming and 9 times out of 10 I am not surprised: she gets to change her mind by the end of the story. Don't get me wrong, I had little sympathy for either Leonard or Penny here, because this is one of the things you are supposed to discuss before the wedding! I'm 100% sure I will never ever want to have a child and I would never even move in with someone before being sure we are on the same page. But of course, women on TV just don't know they will eventualy change their mind! And just as expected, in the finale (which I liked until that point), Penny reveals that she is pregnant and because her storyline was shit for a long time by that point, this is apparently her Happy ending. Ugh! It might not have been as infuriating, if they already haven't pulled this shit with Bernadette few seasons ago. So out of three women on the show, two (that didn't want to have children) end up either pregnant or already with children, while Amy who was the only one who wanted them ends without one, which is ok, because we already knew she wants them, so she will definitely have them in future. And they say the GoT finale was dissapointing...

But this is nothing compared to what happened in the last season of Gilmore Girls to Sookie. I guess people here are familiar with that story, but I will summarize to get my blood pressure up: Sookie previously pressured Jackson to get a vasectomy, after their second child was born. Which was a shitty thing to do, because it is his body, but if he had a problem with it he should have taken it up with her then and find some compromise. As is revealed, he did not end up getting it, but failed to inform her, so she ends up pregnant once again, without even realising it was a possibility. What. The. Actual. Fuck?!!! How could anyone at any point think this was ok? And to make it worse, of course she fucking keeps it! No, just no. The appropriate action in this situation would be as follows:

Step 1: Kick Jackson as hard as possible in the balls, so that he won't need that vasectomy after all. Step 2: Get an abortion ASAP. Step 3: Get a divorce ASAP. Step 4: Find the best lawyer she can afford and sue Jackson, because if that shit is not illegal, it fucking should be. Besides every other reason it is wrong, it leads to a situation that should never happen: that a woman is pregnant and is not even aware it is a possibility. And to make it worse, two people know she is pregnant before her, which should never happen either, because it takes her agency completely out. God, this was infuriating. Fuck Jackson! In fact, I shouldn't say that, because as much as I didn't like Jackson before, this was completely OOC for him. So fuck who ever wrote that story instead.

It feels better, getting this off my chest after such a log time.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I'm 100% sure I will never ever want to have a child and I would never even move in with someone before being sure we are on the same page. But of course, women on TV just don't know they will eventualy change their mind! And just as expected, in the finale (which I liked until that point), Penny reveals that she is pregnant and because her storyline was shit for a long time by that point, this is apparently her Happy ending. Ugh! It might not have been as infuriating, if they already haven't pulled this shit with Bernadette few seasons ago. So out of three women on the show, two (that didn't want to have children) end up either pregnant or already with children, while Amy who was the only one who wanted them ends without one, which is ok, because we already knew she wants them, so she will definitely have them in future. And they say the GoT finale was dissapointing...

[snip, heh]

Step 1: Kick Jackson as hard as possible in the balls, so that he won't need that vasectomy after all. Step 2: Get an abortion ASAP. Step 3: Get a divorce ASAP. Step 4: Find the best lawyer she can afford and sue Jackson, because if that shit is not illegal, it fucking should be. Besides every other reason it is wrong, it leads to a situation that should never happen: that a woman is pregnant and is not even aware it is a possibility. And to make it worse, two people know she is pregnant before her, which should never happen either, because it takes her agency completely out. God, this was infuriating. Fuck Jackson! In fact, I shouldn't say that, because as much as I didn't like Jackson before, this was completely OOC for him. So fuck who ever wrote that story instead.

It feels better, getting this off my chest after such a log time.

As someone who never, ever wanted children, I agree so hard. I get that in fiction, a baby tends to be part of the Happily Ever After. I respect that as a trope. But I hate that, "Oh when it's your baby, you'll feel differently." Or "you'll change your mind once you're pregnant." What the FUCK?

And here's a bit of news. Women have abortions all the time. Nearly one in four women in the US have had an abortion and you know what? They are just fine. They aren't overcome with guilt or filled with regret. For many women, it's just a medical procedure. It's fine. 

• Love 19
48 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I had little sympathy for either Leonard or Penny here, because this is one of the things you are supposed to discuss before the wedding!

That’s the thing, though, they did. I watch the reruns all the time, Leonard and Penny had several conversations about future children, to which Penny had zero reservations about having them. So my only problem with the final season’s “Penny doesn’t want to have kids” arc is that it was a manufactured plot contrivance to kill some time.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
28 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

As someone who never, ever wanted children, I agree so hard. I get that in fiction, a baby tends to be part of the Happily Ever After. I respect that as a trope. But I hate that, "Oh when it's your baby, you'll feel differently." Or "you'll change your mind once you're pregnant." What the FUCK?

Exactly. And while I respect the trope as well, it gets frustrating when it is the only Happy ending that all female characters get in a show/movie/etc. with multiple characters. Or if the one woman who doesn't end up with a man and a family on the way isn't considered to be as "satisfied" with how things ended for her.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

Exactly. And while I respect the trope as well, it gets frustrating when it is the only Happy ending that all female characters get in a show/movie/etc. with multiple characters. Or if the one woman who doesn't end up with a man and a family on the way isn't considered to be as "satisfied" with how things ended for her.

Oh oh...this reminds me of endings I hate.

HIMYM, not just because HOLY FUCK, that ending was stupid, but because Barney, who never ever wanted kids, ends up a parent and the Mother ends up just being Ted's baby factory before she can die and he can end up with his twu wuv Robin, who never wanted kids until she couldn't have them, then she did.

I found it absolutely enraging that Robin wasn't allowed to just be completely happy and satisfied with her career, she had to get teary with longing over total asshole Ted.

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

That’s the thing, though, they did. I watch the reruns all the time, Leonard and Penny had several conversations about future children, to which Penny had zero reservations about having them. So my only problem with the final season’s “Penny doesn’t want to have kids” arc is that it was a manufactured plot contrivance to kill some time.

They did? Well, I watched all the episodes just once, so I guess I must have forgotten it. But from the way they talked in the last season it seemed as if they never did. 

I only remember the pilot episode when Leonard said that their children will be both smart and beautiful and Sheldon replied "Not to mention imaginary." If only Sheldon had been right on that one! 

5 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

HIMYM, not just because HOLY FUCK, that ending was stupid, but because Barney, who never ever wanted kids, ends up a parent and the Mother ends up just being Ted's baby factory before she can die and he can end up with his twu wuv Robin, who never wanted kids until she couldn't have them, then she did.

I found it absolutely enraging that Robin wasn't allowed to just be completely happy and satisfied with her career, she had to get teary with longing over total asshole Ted.

I've never watched that series, but from what I keep hearing about it I am sure I would hate it.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

They did? Well, I watched all the episodes just once, so I guess I must have forgotten it. But from the way they talked in the last season it seemed as if they never did. 

Here’s an example from the episode where the gang learns about Bernadette’s first pregnancy:

Penny: Well, I am so happy for Howard and Bernadette.

Leonard: Me, too. So, you ever think about it?

Penny: Babies? Well, I'm not in a rush but someday, yeah, sure. What about you?

Leonard: I think we'd make amazing parents.

Sheldon: Will you guys keep it down? (seen asleep on his spot with lipstick and marker drawn on his face)

Penny: On the other hand, we might lack a certain maturity.

• LOL 6
5 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I've never watched that series, but from what I keep hearing about it I am sure I would hate it.

HIMYM was a sitcom I could semi-tolerate, although as a rule, I hate sitcoms. It's actually more amusing if you watch it with the perspective as Ted-Is-The-Villain. 

But really, it's not worth your time.

What is worth the time? A rewatch of Vera

But on topic, I get enraged every time a woman states she doesn't want children and then is forced to look at baby shoes and suddenly has a change of heart. Fuck that. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

if they already haven't pulled this shit with Bernadette few seasons ago.

And let's not forget both of Bernadette's pregnancies were accidents.  Two people with 5 science degrees between them should know how birth control works.  

• Useful 3
  • LOL 2
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

But I hate that, "Oh when it's your baby, you'll feel differently." Or "you'll change your mind once you're pregnant." What the FUCK?

Seriously! I mean, what if you don't. What if you go ahead and have the kid and still don't want it. It happens. Unwanted babies are born all the time. If someone, particularly a woman, that they don't want kids, respect that. Don't play Russian Roulette with some unborn babies life in the hopes the person having it will magically feel different or change their mind. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

My most hated moments seem to be about pregnancy and women's agency in that story. Doesn't really surprise me.

If I may vent about Big Bang Theory for a moment: I liked the show, it wasn't perfect, but a lot of the geeky stuff was funny to me, since I am a fan of comics and some other genre stuff. The writing for female characters was hit and miss, but whatever, it was what it was... I even liked the last season, while some people that I know were complaining how it lost something and was just crawling along... Then the topic of children came around with Leonard and Penny. Now, every time a woman on TV expresses the opinion that she doesn't want to have children, I start shrinking a little, because I already know what is coming and 9 times out of 10 I am not surprised: she gets to change her mind by the end of the story. Don't get me wrong, I had little sympathy for either Leonard or Penny here, because this is one of the things you are supposed to discuss before the wedding! I'm 100% sure I will never ever want to have a child and I would never even move in with someone before being sure we are on the same page. But of course, women on TV just don't know they will eventualy change their mind! And just as expected, in the finale (which I liked until that point), Penny reveals that she is pregnant and because her storyline was shit for a long time by that point, this is apparently her Happy ending. Ugh! It might not have been as infuriating, if they already haven't pulled this shit with Bernadette few seasons ago. So out of three women on the show, two (that didn't want to have children) end up either pregnant or already with children, while Amy who was the only one who wanted them ends without one, which is ok, because we already knew she wants them, so she will definitely have them in future. And they say the GoT finale was dissapointing...

I hate that shows always do that. The closest I ever saw was on the Closer where it was really clear Brenda didn't want kids. She makes that clear in the episode when Fritz is talking about house in a neighborhood with good schools. She says they don't need to worry about that which should be the end of it. She told Fritz and he was fine with it and they get married. But the show won't just let it be the end of it. Its brought up at least two more times. One when Fritz suggests using their second bedroom for a nursery. Brenda doesn't say no but just talks about her murder victim's mother. The second time was when her niece comes to visit and bakes marijuana brownies that Brenda eats and gets high. Fritz is ticked and wants to send her back home. Brenda points out that he's the one who wants kids. They never do end up having kids. But its stupid that they do talk about it and Brenda makes it clear she doesn't want kids and Fritz accepts that and he really seems fine with that. Instead of kids they have cats. Kitty which belonged to the murder victim who's house Brenda bought and later Joel. And it was really nice to see a woman want to get married but doesn't want kids. They didn't need to ever bring it up again. But they do.

Ah, Gilmore Girls, that show was really bad when it came to having kids on that show. Sookie and Jackson were one of the most stable couples on the show and they really messed it up when it came to kids. They never really talk to each other and decided how many kids they want. Jackson tells her after their married that he wants four kids and four years which freaks Sookie out. After calming down Sookie tells Lorelai she doesn't know what she wants. Fast forward to season five where Sookie has their second kid and tells Jackson their done having kids. She had two in two years which she thinks is fair. Which might be if she had actually talked to Jackson instead of surprising him after the birth of baby number two and telling him he's going to get a vascetomy. He gets dragged off to presumely get that done. The actress who played Sookie was pregnant during the final season and the idiot writers or who ever decided to write it in. They throw Jackson under a bus for no reason. 

And it really doesn't get better. Christopher learns his girlfriend is pregnant just as he and Lorelai are getting back together and he was going to tell Sherry they were done. Instead he runs off to marry and raise the kid. Breaking his promise to Lorelai and his daughter Rory who he hadn't bothered to be dad to once in her childhood. She gets to see him run off to do that with his second daughter. 

Luke's idiot sister Liz who already was a bad mom to Jess gets pregnant but her idiot husband TJ. Those two shouldn't be around kids at all. Although she does supposely want to be better to this kid. Luke learns his ex-girlfriend Anna had his kid and didn't tell him until his daughter shows up to grab his hair for a DNA test.

Then the show decides next up is Lane. Who knows if she ever wanted kids because it never came up. What she did want was to be in a band and go as far she could in that dream. She had already spent 18 years forced to live a life she didn't want to. They marry her off to Zach who's an idiot and they have a surprise pregnancy from their honeymoon and its twins. 

Then comes the Revival which ends with Rory surprised pregnant. All of these surprise pregnancies never need to happen and make zero sense for any of the characters. The only stable couple they can't even get right by having them talk about kids. Nope they just throw kids at everyone. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

You know what makes this even more infuriating? They filmed an alternate ending for the finale and it’s perfect. It’s the lovely little ending that made sense for where the show went and didn’t shit on the viewers. So of course they made it the alternate and went with the original idea that pissed all over the show and viewers. 

• Useful 9
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Ah, Gilmore Girls, that show was really bad when it came to having kids on that show. Sookie and Jackson were one of the most stable couples on the show and they really messed it up when it came to kids. They never really talk to each other and decided how many kids they want. Jackson tells her after their married that he wants four kids and four years which freaks Sookie out. After calming down Sookie tells Lorelai she doesn't know what she wants. Fast forward to season five where Sookie has their second kid and tells Jackson their done having kids. She had two in two years which she thinks is fair. Which might be if she had actually talked to Jackson instead of surprising him after the birth of baby number two and telling him he's going to get a vascetomy. He gets dragged off to presumely get that done. The actress who played Sookie was pregnant during the final season and the idiot writers or who ever decided to write it in. They throw Jackson under a bus for no reason. 

And it really doesn't get better. Christopher learns his girlfriend is pregnant just as he and Lorelai are getting back together and he was going to tell Sherry they were done. Instead he runs off to marry and raise the kid. Breaking his promise to Lorelai and his daughter Rory who he hadn't bothered to be dad to once in her childhood. She gets to see him run off to do that with his second daughter. 

Luke's idiot sister Liz who already was a bad mom to Jess gets pregnant but her idiot husband TJ. Those two shouldn't be around kids at all. Although she does supposely want to be better to this kid. Luke learns his ex-girlfriend Anna had his kid and didn't tell him until his daughter shows up to grab his hair for a DNA test.

Then the show decides next up is Lane. Who knows if she ever wanted kids because it never came up. What she did want was to be in a band and go as far she could in that dream. She had already spent 18 years forced to live a life she didn't want to. They marry her off to Zach who's an idiot and they have a surprise pregnancy from their honeymoon and its twins. 

Then comes the Revival which ends with Rory surprised pregnant. All of these surprise pregnancies never need to happen and make zero sense for any of the characters. The only stable couple they can't even get right by having them talk about kids. Nope they just throw kids at everyone. 

Yes to all of this. I loved that show, but the one thing that I have to sideeye is that almost all of the pregnancies were unplanned. And it ended with Rory being unexpectedly pregnant, because it was the only way to bring the story full-circle apparently. Not as if they could have contrasted her with Lorelai with this and have her be pregnant by choice. With Lorelai I can buy completely that she ended up pregnant by mistake at 16, because that is in line with how she is characterized throughout the show. But Rory was always more careful in certain things and liked things organized, not to mention she previously said she is careful having sex, so it would make much more sense to me if she ended up pregnant in a way that is obvious to the viewer that she wanted to, whether or not she was in a relationship. Just one tiny little change. And it would be a fine contrast with Lorelai, that she got to have a child in her own way. JMO.

• Love 6

Meh, unexpected pregnancies are a beloved storytelling trope. And birth control fails, I couldn’t tell you how many of the kids in my family are oops babies ON birth control. Condom, pill, you name it, one of those little sperm manages to get through.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, JustHereForFood said:

Not as if they could have contrasted her with Lorelai with this and have her be pregnant by choice.

And Paris had become a fertility specialist! It was an easy next step to have Rory go to her for help after deciding she was ready to become a parent. But, sure Palladinos, it's a much better ending for Rory to reveal an accidental pregnancy from when she helped her ex cheat on his fiance. That's exactly what fans of the show wanted for her character.

In fairness to the Ps ::pukes:: that did kind of make sense with where Rory's character ended up but they still should have resisted the urge.

• Love 6

The recent “future episode” of The Simpsons “Mother and Child Reunion” where Lisa decides not to go to college and Marge stops speaking to her because of it infuriated me. AS USUAL, Marge was making it all about her and her own frustrated dreams. And even when Lisa still goes on to find success, winding up President of the United States, Marge still acts like she’s the one that’s owed an apology because Lisa never appreciated how much she “supported her”; she never apologizes for her own behavior, only says “Maybe I went about it the wrong way but I was always proud of you.” So even though Marge was acting like a petty bitch, the usual narrative remains that Marge is a long suffering saint and everyone is else should be lucky to have her.

GAG ME.

I’ve said it once and I’ll say it forever: as bad as Homer can get, at least he apologizes and owns up to his crap. MARGE NEVER DOES. With her, it’s either someone else’s fault or “a very good reason.” Just once I’d like for someone to call her out on all her crap. ONCE.

• Love 9
On 6/8/2021 at 4:31 PM, Quof said:

And let's not forget both of Bernadette's pregnancies were accidents.  Two people with 5 science degrees between them should know how birth control works.  

The second one was an accident but the first one was not.

Bernadette: Just listen. I don’t know if you realize this, but whenever you’re between projects, you tend to get a little insecure.

Howard: Oh.

Bernadette: A little clingy.

Howard: I know and I’m sorry. (Kisses her a bunch)

Bernadette: Oh, oh, oh, okay, stop. Stop. I love when you’re affectionate, but this is not coming from a good place.

Howard: Well, excuse me, but what did you do when you worked on that allergy drug for two years and the FDA shut down your project?

Bernadette: I signed us up for ballroom dance class.

Howard: Okay, and what did you do when they took you off the antifungal team?

Bernadette: I made us have a baby.

• Love 1

Yeah, that's revisionist history from BBT.  At the time, they clearly stated they got frisky on Sheldon's bed without using birth control. The pregnancy was not intentional. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Quof said:

Yeah, that's revisionist history from BBT.  At the time, they clearly stated they got frisky on Sheldon's bed without using birth control. The pregnancy was not intentional. 

Every single procreation storyline on that show was fucked up in so many ways!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Quof said:

It may be revisionist but I think it's very true to life. I, personally, am the result of 'one time can't hurt'. 9 months later my epidural-less mother told a different story!

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Every single procreation storyline on that show was fucked up in so many ways!

The only thing that made me happy regarding any of those was when Bernadette was out with I think it was Penny and drank juice from a wine glass, saying that she enjoys winding people up seemingly drinking alcohol while visibly pregnant. That made me laugh, because even though I don't want to have children, it irritates me when some people think that pregnant women are some sort of public property for the duration of the pregnancy and get into their business.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
5 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

It may be revisionist but I think it's very true to life. I, personally, am the result of 'one time can't hurt'. 9 months later my epidural-less mother told a different story!

Except they took multiple people who even when coupled suggested they weren’t interested in having children for a variety of reasons and it resulted in them all having them. Sure it’s fine people do change their minds, but tons of people do In fact not and as one of those people I found it predictable, boring and as annoying as fuck.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Quof said:

When parents say to me, a happily childfree woman, "you'll change your mind", I say "So will you."  It takes them a minute to get my meaning. 

I love her recipes but I also love that when directly asked Ina Garten just said they didn’t want children. I mean she shouldn’t hAve to be asked at random book signings but I have always appreciated it!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Except they took multiple people who even when coupled suggested they weren’t interested in having children for a variety of reasons and it resulted in them all having them. Sure it’s fine people do change their minds, but tons of people do In fact not and as one of those people I found it predictable, boring and as annoying as fuck.

That's my problem too. I'm fine with a couple people changing their minds but on TV its always everyone. 

• Love 12
(edited)
3 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

That made me laugh, because even though I don't want to have children, it irritates me when some people think that pregnant women are some sort of public property for the duration of the pregnancy and get into their business.

Omg....I told my husband once in the later stages of my pregnancy that if one more person told me that I should be eating more/better (because I was eating for two) or that I should exercise more, that I was going to spend the rest of my time sitting in front of the tv eating nothing but bread.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 7

14 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

was going to spend the rest of my time sitting in front of the tv eating nothing but bread.

That's the only part that appeals to me.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, anna0852 said:

On 6/9/2021 at 7:46 AM, kariyaki said:

Meh, unexpected pregnancies are a beloved storytelling trope. And birth control fails, I couldn’t tell you how many of the kids in my family are oops babies ON birth control. Condom, pill, you name it, one of those little sperm manages to get through.

It's not that it's unrealistic and doesn't happen; it's that it seems to happen all the time.  Disproportionate to how often it happens in real life. 

And when accidental pregnancies happen, they rarely talk about birth control failing.

One of the things I appreciated the most about Rachel getting pregnant on Friends is they made it clear that, even though it was an impromptu sex fest, condoms were still used.  It just failed. 

• Love 12

Let's not forget all of the unintended pregnancies - among health care professionals - on ER.  The only character who got pregnant on purpose was Kerry's partner Sandy.   

• Love 7

With all the impromptu banging on Grey's Anatomy I was surprised Seattle Grace didn't have to shut down due to all the female staff getting pregnant at the same time. (The show zigzagged by having everyone catch syphilis instead...)

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

A recent news story reminded me of an episode of King of Queens which, incidentally was probably the LAST episode I ever watched.  Carrie, for some reason (I think because she thinks she's getting old) is upset because the guys working on a construction site she passes aren't wolf whistling and catcalling her.  IIRC Doug pays some of them to do that to her to make her feel better.  I cannot find the words to convey how angry this episode made me.  It also led to one of my usual wonderings - do women write this stuff? and how do the actresses feel when they do an episode like this?

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Carrie, for some reason (I think because she thinks she's getting old) is upset because the guys working on a construction site she passes aren't wolf whistling and catcalling her. 

I work in a kind of seedy downtown area. I don't go out much for a walk but I went once with a friend and she actually liked getting catcalled by randos on the street. I never went for a walk with her again. It wasn't even construction guys, it was guys hanging at the bus stop. I felt uncomfortable, she thought it was a complement. 

• Useful 2
22 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Carrie, for some reason (I think because she thinks she's getting old) is upset because the guys working on a construction site she passes aren't wolf whistling and catcalling her.  IIRC Doug pays some of them to do that to her to make her feel better.  I cannot find the words to convey how angry this episode made me.  It also led to one of my usual wonderings - do women write this stuff? and how do the actresses feel when they do an episode like this?

As a woman I can understand wanting the attention and wanting guys to talk to you and ask for your number.  I just wouldn't like being catcalled by a bunch of construction workers, drunks, and various strangers.  There's a difference between being approached and complimented by guys and being treated like an objectified creature.

• Love 10
(edited)
On 6/19/2021 at 4:30 PM, magicdog said:

As a woman I can understand wanting the attention and wanting guys to talk to you and ask for your number.  I just wouldn't like being catcalled by a bunch of construction workers, drunks, and various strangers.  There's a difference between being approached and complimented by guys and being treated like an objectified creature.

Precisely. I don't mind an occasional "Hey, pretty lady!" when I'm walking down the street, but I sure as hell mind vulgar comments about what they'd like to do to me in bed, or a guy following me for ten blocks and actually GETTING OUT OF HIS CAR and approaching me, as happened the other day.

As I've often stated before, anytime TV portrays behavior that in real life would be annoying at best, terrifying at worst, as something cute/sweet/romantic is infuriating. 

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 12
On 5/28/2021 at 12:38 AM, magicdog said:

I remember the movie when it debuted because it was supposed to bring awareness to the problem of molestation/incest and was considered shocking for TV at the time.  I can't believe they went with that ending.  It should have ended with mom divorcing her husband and his ass getting beat in prison.  

I remember I wasn't allowed to watch it. 

(edited)
On 6/21/2021 at 3:06 PM, Nicmar said:

I remember I wasn't allowed to watch it. 

There was a similar movie in 2003 starring Robert Urich and the Family Ties mother that had the family trying to move on after the mother caught the father fondling the daughter (though it never went any further. Despite everyone's sincere efforts, it doesn't work.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 2

Mare of Easttown: Lori blaming Mare for “ruining” her family and arresting Ryan for the murder of Erin. Lori, I know you’ve been through hell, but kindly STFU and take several seats. Mare was just doing her job; she can’t make exceptions for friends. If you want anyone to blame, blame your scumbag husband for impregnating his underage teenage cousin and making Ryan keep his secret, which led to him thinking he could take matters into his own hands with a gun.

Honestly, Lori is lucky she didn’t get arrested for obstruction and accessory after the fact for covering for Ryan. I get wanting to protect your son and letting your scumbag husband take the rap. I even get that yelling at Mare it was in the heat of the moment. But I almost wish that Mare and Lori didn’t make up at the end, because Mare didn’t owe Lori shit after the way she treated her.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 10/2/2018 at 10:22 AM, andromeda331 said:

How is it a great storyline watching a pregnant woman who doesn't want to be pregnant? Then watch her get beaten into causing a miscarriage? 

I've never understood the writers logic in scripting things like this.

"Let's have this woman make the rational decision to terminate her unwanted pregnancy."

"NO! We can't show a woman electing her right to choose! The viewers would never forgive us!"

"Okay. Let's have her get beaten up/fall down the stairs/get into an accident and have a miscarriage!"

"Great idea!"

It's so idiotic and offensive. You won't let a woman have an abortion, but you'll tap into every pregnant woman's worst fear of something happening to make her lose the baby anyway.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 17
3 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

It's so idiotic and offensive. You won't let a woman have an abortion, but you'll tap into every pregnant woman's worst fear of something happening to make her lose the baby anyway.

Apparently it is far more acceptable to physically harm women than to allow them to make their own decisions. GRRRRRR

• Love 8
(edited)
On 6/22/2021 at 5:13 PM, Mabinogia said:

Apparently it is far more acceptable to physically harm women than to allow them to make their own decisions. GRRRRRR

Exactly. This is especially infuriating on soaps, with their myriad of unwanted/unintended pregnancies. OLTL had the opportunity for a groundbreaking storyline with Jessica Buchanan's teen pregnancy--abortion/giving the baby up for adoption/becoming a teen mom--and instead had her get hit by a car as she was going into labor. 

It's pathetic. They'll redeem rapists to the point of marrying them to their victims, but abortion is the topic that they find too controversial to risk losing viewers over.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 7