Type keyword(s) to search

"Oh HELL No!": TV Moments That Make You Irate

• Start Topic

(edited)
21 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Queen for a Day. 

I actually had heard of it!  It was a radio program at first, then transitioned to TV.  It seemed so exploitative to me - airing sad stories to a national audience to win an appliance.   It seems to have continued on reality shows though.

Of course in my statement was more of a person goes into a contest and tells his/her competitors their [made up] sob story in order to get them to throw the contest.

Was there anything stopping Hazel from winning the contest and then giving the poor bereaved competitor the trip?

No.  She had the reputation as the best baker in town, and purposely threw the contest.  She was baking a cake and sabotaged herself on purpose by reducing the heat in the oven during the baking process which caused the cake to go flat.  A mistake Hazel would never make otherwise.  By episode's end, she bakes the exact same cake that evening for the family perfectly fine.

Hazel is a bit of a Mary Sue. She’s pretty much good at everything she tries. And she’s selfless to a fault.

In retrospect, yes, she was.  Although her main fault was being a buttinski - even if it was done with love.  However, I always admired that the character never let who she was stop her from trying something new (a good lesson to us today!).  In one episode it was mentioned she had to drop out of school to support her family after her mother died, so she couldn't continue her education formally, but in many episodes you see her reading a lot and learning new vocabulary words.  It was good to see someone keep herself active and never thought of herself as beneath anyone just because she was "the maid".

Edited by magicdog
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, magicdog said:

Of course in my statement was more of a person goes into a contest and tells his/her competitors their [made up] sob story in order to get them to throw the contest.

That's Johnny Fairplay's dead grandma on Survivor.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

Ugly Betty: I don’t know what made me more furious: Ignacio actually helping Walter get Betty back after he cheated on her, or the fact that that piss-poor, tone-deaf, ear-bleeding serenade of “Beauty and the Beast” actually won Betty over.

Up until that point, Walter made one whiny half-assed apology to Betty and then proceeded to stalk, belittle, and gaslight her into thinking the breakup was her fault for not forgiving him and supposedly becoming more stuck-up since working at Mode. And yet one SHITTY serenade somehow made up for all that? Really, show?!

And the fact that Ignacio and the rest of the family sided with Walter and enabled his emotional abuse her makes me wish the show had the balls to actually kill off Ignacio.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Pretty much every moment with Walter makes me irate.  Such as when she's staying at a hotel to review it - a big assignment for her, and a nice little getaway in SoHo - and he, as per usual, acts like the insecure, jealous, whiny asshole he is, embarrasses her, and stomps off, so she leaves, too, to go apologize to him!

• Like 5
44 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Pretty much every moment with Walter makes me irate.  Such as when she's staying at a hotel to review it - a big assignment for her, and a nice little getaway in SoHo - and he, as per usual, acts like the insecure, jealous, whiny asshole he is, embarrasses her, and stomps off, so she leaves, too, to go apologize to him!

Ugh yeah that made me so mad. Betty was nice enough to try and include him in her assignment—at four-star luxury hotel, no less—and he threw a tantrum because he couldn’t get a fucking cheeseburger. And once again gaslit her into thinking she was the one being stuck-up and difficult.

You’d think most guys who are lucky enough to be taken back after cheating are smart enough to to grow up and treat their girlfriends better. Not Walter. He just tried to love-bomb her into a commitment and stayed the same petty, whiny, selfish asshole he always was. More viewers today would call him out as an abuser.

• Applause 5

On ER, Abby’s brother falling into Carter’s grandmother’s open grave at the funeral because Abby had the genius idea to not only bring him, but leave in a limo stocked with alcohol. And of course Abby gets a free pass (again) because “she had no choice” and “she was in a no-win situation.” So someone forced her to give her unmedicated bipolar brother access to alcohol? Amazing. /s And not to mention it felt like her brother took the quality of the show into the grave with him. I don’t know how the show stayed on until S15 after that. 

It always bothered me how the entire damn ER universe had to stop what it was doing and revolve around Abby and her family whenever they were off their meds, or when Abby was on a bender when she was too “overwhelmed” to work and have a baby because she was so codependent on Luka and whined her whole pregnancy. Everyone had to tend to poor Abby and feel sorry for her then. But yet whenever one of her friends or romantic partners had a crisis, she could only make it about herself and her feelings. (It wasn’t even long after Gallant died when she was saying she needed a vacation. I’m sure Neela would love one too right about now.) 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2

Maybe This Time (1995-1996) was a short lived sitcom that had 18 episodes which starred (of all folks) Marie Osmond as a reticent divorced mom of a teen, Betty White as Miss Osmond's character's randy mother and Ashley Johnson as the respective characters' daughter and granddaughter Gracie.

Anyway, in the 15th episode, Gracie was unsure how to proceed with her semi-boyfriend Nicky who was veering towards the wrong crowd and decided to watch the then-contemporary sitcom Boy Meets World which showed part of a fake episode that had Shawn fessing to Cory that he'd accidentally burned down the gym and  most of the cafeteria. This resulted in a missing cafeteria worker who Shawn wasn't sure had survived due to only a singed hair net of hers being found. Shawn thought he'd gone too far but Cory assured him he'd stick with him because Shawn was 'his friend and friends don't give up on each other'. OK, THEN the two of them talked directly to the camera Cory added 'because we're an example . . to a lot of kids out there . .like Gracie' then proceeded to say that Gracie 'didn't want to lose Nicky' (who had started hanging out with 'the wrong people') . Hence, to [allegedly] help Gracie Cory wasn't going to give up on Shawn which would inspire Gracie not to give up on Nicky!

SO MUCH wrong here! OK, I know on the actual BMW show Shawn did NOT burn down the gym/cafeteria much less accidentally cause the cafeteria worker to lose her life.

However, this crossover not only depicted that even in an extreme fall from grace, true friends were expected 'not to give up' on their fallen comrades  but also gave no disclaimer or exception in which it would have been OK for a person to decide that they had done all they could for the other person and they needed to let the other sink or swim on their own  keep themselves from getting dragged down. Moreover, this virtually spelled out that not just Gracie but the viewers themselves were expected to 'not give up' on their fallen comrades for ANY reason whatsoever. .. or else Gracie,etc. would be considered a 'disloyal and/or bad person' (yet no judgement whatsoever was rendered on the fallen comrades who somehow were supposed to EXPECT their 'true friends' to stick by them no matter what rotten or awful stunts had been pulled ).

Did the writer/s have any idea how many folks of all ages have RUINED their lives sticking with folks who've proven to be bad news?!  I'll bet one could visit ANY divorce court, prison. ..or domestic violence shelter and find at least one (if not a legion) of folks within each facility who'd wound up getting  their lives wrecked via sticking with those  they had  initially  considered to have been their friends but  who wound up dragging them down and scorching them!

My advice to Gracie would have been to have had Gracie plea with Nicky how it was in not in his benefit to stick with 'the wrong people' and urged him to consider how much a friend she'd been to him and ask him if he thought that hanging with 'the wrong people' would be worth possibly endangering their established friendship. Then, if Nicky scoffed at her pleas and believed that it was better to hang with 'the wrong people' instead of her, Gracie should consider that she did had done her best to try to help him but that he'd blown her off and it was perfectly okay for her to then cut him loose then  find actual friends who valued her for herself rather than wanted her to change for the worse!

Thankfully the show got cancelled just three episodes later (and it had a small viewership) so maybe Gracie woke up & smelt the warped coffee and hopefully no viewers actually took Cory's rotten advice!

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 8

One Tree Hill: Dan murdered Keith, used a school shooting to cover up his crime and frame poor Jimmy (who ultimately only killed himself), bullied the teenage girl who witnessed everything and her mom into leaving town, tried to work his way back to Karen and raise Keith’s child, tried to gaslight Lucas when he found out the truth, and when that didn’t work, he had the audacity to try to plead that it would be better for Karen and the baby if they didn’t know the truth.

And for all these despicable crimes, he serves…only a few years in jail until he gets released and winds up with his own talk show.

What. The. Fuck.

I at least take solace in two things:

1) Lucas and Karen never forgave Dan, and the last time they ever saw him on the show they gave him death glares and walked away without speaking to him.

2) Jimmy’s mother later confronted him and gave him the mother of all bitchslaps for letting everyone think Jimmy killed Keith. I would have loved it if she had been the one to kill Dan at the end of the show, but can’t have everything.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 2

General Hospital and Port Charles crossover in the late 90s. Sonny, Jason and Robin bump in Karen Wexler and Joe Scalon. Sonny's first storyline on the show was enticing a teenage Karen into stripping for him (she was still in high school) and feeding her pills by preying on her vulnerability in being a SA victim (stepfather). Now, while it was disgusting inducing, Sonny was rightly presented as a scumbag at the time. Kind of the typical "bad man preying on young girl" storyline. Maurice Bernard was very compelling so they paired him with Vanessa Marcil's Brenda and gave him some heart with the Stone's AIDs storyline. However, the show decided that redeeming the character meant justifying all of his past shitty behavior, and apparently that meant telling the audience that Karen had more culpability in her and Sonny's "relationship," instead of what it was, Sonny grooming a young traumatized teenager to make money of her. They had Jason, who the show decided was the moral center of the show, "pointing out" she had a choice, even though, again, she was a teenage girl and Sonny was in his mid twenties and a criminal. What now angers me is not only was this completely disgusting, it was down right dangerous to present the message that a young Karen and Joe was somehow out of line for calling him out, since a good many teenage girls watched the show. And to this day, never correct this thinking or finally say that Sonny groomed Jason (who was severely brain injured) like he groomed Karen. 

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Ambrosefolly said:

And to this day, never correct this thinking or finally say that Sonny groomed Jason (who was severely brain injured) like he groomed Karen. 

And I could be wrong but I seem to recall a scene where Karen apologized to Sonny.  For what?  Blaming him for what happened? 

Infuriating. 

• Like 2
On 11/15/2023 at 8:09 PM, Irlandesa said:

And I could be wrong but I seem to recall a scene where Karen apologized to Sonny.  For what?  Blaming him for what happened? 

Infuriating. 

It wouldn't surprise me if it did. He's the reason I quit the show. Him, Jason and Carly. Whatever they do no matter how horrible doesn't matter and will always be shown as a "good" thing or doesn't count because it's them. All three of them are horrible and did a lot of horrible things and never get held accountable for any of it.

• Sad 2
10 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

All three of them are horrible and did a lot of horrible things and never get held accountable for any of it.

That is the majority of the characters. Every now and then one of the 'bad' people gets accountable but not really. GH most famous couple Luke and Laura. Luke SA Laura and then GH made it one of their big love stories. Nearly every character has/had killed someone. Nina cuts a baby out of someone. Oh it's fine.

But Sonny is the reason I stopped watching,  

• Like 2

The Simpsons: The morning after Marge makes a drunk toast at Willie's rehearsal dinner as an excuse a to publicly humiliate Homer about how stale their love life has gotten, she has the nerve to be upset that he's rightfully angry at her and has stormed off instead of helping her with her hangover.

I hate her so much.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I was really ticked at the entire town in Gilmore Girls for being angry about not being able to go to Rory's graduation even after Lorelai told them they only get so many tickets.  Then to be angry that the ridiculous party they planned without even listening to Lorelai was going to be canceled because-wait for it-Rory got an amazing job offer and needed to leave in 2 days. *gasp*  How dare she?! 🙄

It's a small (totally unrealistic) town, so I get the disappointment,  but come on.

• Like 6
18 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

I was really ticked at the entire town in Gilmore Girls for being angry about not being able to go to Rory's graduation even after Lorelai told them they only get so many tickets.  Then to be angry that the ridiculous party they planned without even listening to Lorelai was going to be canceled because-wait for it-Rory got an amazing job offer and needed to leave in 2 days. *gasp*  How dare she?! 🙄

It's a small (totally unrealistic) town, so I get the disappointment,  but come on.

And earlier when she started attending Yale, they were angry with her for concentrating on her education instead of participating in all of the local events. I get it, being a part of community is important for small towns, but it's not mandatory. I love watching Stars Hollow, but I sometimes wonder if I would actually love living there, or if some of the people would drive me away instead. It's probably better in small doses.

• Like 7

Bit of a tangent, but I hate the idea of "favorite son/daughters" in small towns* (is this a thing IRL? Because if so, that's awful). This is based less on "I think everyone is special" than "I think everyone matters". Rory Gilmore could not possibly have been the only good student with a promising future (*snort*) in Stars Hollow, and it's frankly unsettling that everyone cared so damn much about what she did or didn't do. 

Let me also remind everyone that, at this point, Rory is basically just some kid. There are real life small towns that advertise being the birth place of a notable figure... but those figures are notable. Rory is nobody, but they're treating her like the Second Coming despite her not even being alive that long, over-inflating her ego as a result. Even a science dumb-dumb like me knows what happens when you over-inflate a balloon; it inevitably pops, leaving behind a sad, wilted piece of nothing. 

Putting random kids on sky-high pedestals like that is not only setting them up for failure, but is unfair to other kids, whose hard work and talents matter, too. 

*And don't even get me started on the movie The Majestic.

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Bit of a tangent, but I hate the idea of "favorite son/daughters" in small towns* (is this a thing IRL? Because if so, that's awful). This is based less on "I think everyone is special" than "I think everyone matters". Rory Gilmore could not possibly have been the only good student with a promising future (*snort*) in Stars Hollow, and it's frankly unsettling that everyone cared so damn much about what she did or didn't do. 

Let me also remind everyone that, at this point, Rory is basically just some kid. There are real life small towns that advertise being the birth place of a notable figure... but those figures are notable. Rory is nobody, but they're treating her like the Second Coming despite her not even being alive that long, over-inflating her ego as a result. Even a science dumb-dumb like me knows what happens when you over-inflate a balloon; it inevitably pops, leaving behind a sad, wilted piece of nothing. 

Putting random kids on sky-high pedestals like that is not only setting them up for failure, but is unfair to other kids, whose hard work and talents matter, too. 

*And don't even get me started on the movie The Majestic.

As someone who grew up in a small town, the only time I saw worship of kids was if they were really good at sports.  I mean, so good that everyone was convinced that they were going to make it big* in whatever sport they were good at.  In our town, it was the boys from one family and their game was baseball.  It was maddening, but it still wasn't quit up to "Rory" level worship.

*It did finally happen:  my classmate's son is in pro-baseball now and was instrumental in them winning a big game last year. That's great for him, but you'd think he and his father, uncles and cousins were the only kids in town.

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Shannon L. said:

As someone who grew up in a small town, the only time I saw worship of kids was if they were really good at sports.  I mean, so good that everyone was convinced that they were going to make it big* in whatever sport they were good at.

Same in the small town I grew up in.  Everyone in town, and I do mean everyone, went to the high school football games on Friday nights.  So everyone knew the "star" players and rooted for them to make it big.  Unfortunately, because it is such a very small town, most of our athletes were way outclassed when they went to college sports.  I don't know of any who played beyond college level.  And at least one went to jail for murder.

• Like 3
  • Mind Blown 5

I think part of the situation with Rory is that maybe a lot of people in town took Lorelei under their wing and maybe felt like they needed to look out for Rory in a way they didn't need to look out for other kids who weren't raised in a garden shed. They probably were more personally invested in what Rory had going on. (I still agree that it's dumb and weird.)

• Useful 4
22 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

22 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

As someone who grew up in a small town, the only time I saw worship of kids was if they were really good at sports.  I mean, so good that everyone was convinced that they were going to make it big* in whatever sport they were good at.

This is the plot of Beartown (the book and the series).

• Like 5

I don't think Rory was the girl the whole town loved and adored like Lorelai said she was. Just with the people they saw most like Luke, Sookie, Babette, Miss Patty, and Taylor. But with anyone else? I doubt it. No one else really seemed to care. 

• Like 3
(edited)

Fell down the Smallville rabbit hole with @GHScorpiosRule, and I think I can pinpoint the exact moment where I started to hate Lana: how easily she forgave and took back Whitney after he assaulted and strung Clark up in the cornfield. All because he saw Lana have an innocent conversation with Clark, her neighbor. And had Clark not been set free or, you know, superpowered, who knows how that could have damaged and traumatized him! An ordinary guy might have had to be hospitalized being left out there all night!

That is so fucked up on so many levels. You want to stay with a boyfriend who’s jealous and possessive, it’s your life. But if you’re willing to overlook him hurting someone you consider a friend, well, then that says A LOT about the kind of person you are! 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1

I totally agree with your assessments of Lana @Spartan Girl  and thought it would have saved the show from wasting SO much time had Clark woken up and smelt her warpness then blown her off thereafter with 'You HAD your chance!'- then had him have other teen flirtations before meeting his true love Lois!

However, what can one expect from someone who BRAGGED in the first episde about wearing the very meteor that had killed her own parents as a fave jewel?! Yeah, THAT grossed me out and turned me off her permanently  (and also got me to dump the show very quickly in spite of them trying to pitch her as 'all that')!

• Applause 4
12 hours ago, Blergh said:

I totally agree with your assessments of Lana @Spartan Girl  and thought it would have saved the show from wasting SO much time had Clark woken up and smelt her warpness then blown her off thereafter with 'You HAD your chance!'- then had him have other teen flirtations before meeting his true love Lois!

However, what can one expect from someone who BRAGGED in the first episde about wearing the very meteor that had killed her own parents as a fave jewel?! Yeah, THAT grossed me out and turned me off her permanently  (and also got me to dump the show very quickly in spite of them trying to pitch her as 'all that')!

Grief makes people do messed up things, but seeing as how Lana was three at the time and barely remembered her parents, that’s not an excuse. Like you said, why would you want to wear something that killed your parents? To show how “strong” you are? Bullshit.

Back to Whitney, I really don’t know why the show kept him on for as long as it did, other than being the typical obstacle. The show tried to make him sympathetic by giving him a dying dad and shipping him to the army, but that didn’t work for me. And again, it says a lot about Lana’s latent narcissism that she overlooked the fact that he was a jealous bully because “he’s always there for me.” Yeah, and when became preoccupied with his dying dad and the army, that’s when she dumped him. In a video message, no less. And then when he was KIA, the only time Lana would refer to him henceforward was as another person in her life who “abandoned” her.

• Like 3
On 3/24/2024 at 10:52 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Yeah, and when became preoccupied with his dying dad and the army, that’s when she dumped him. In a video message, no less.

No, she sent him that video message of "breaking up" after he had deployed. She stayed with him because he "neeeeeeded" her; hence her dropping him off to go to boot camp the day of the spring formal.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

No, she sent him that video message of "breaking up" after he had deployed. She stayed with him because he "neeeeeeded" her; hence her dropping him off to go to boot camp the day of the spring formal.

That’s the video I was referring to, yes.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That’s the video I was referring to, yes.

Sorry. I read your comment and it read like she sent him the video before he deployed/right after his dad died. My bad.

• Like 3
15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Sorry. I read your comment and it read like she sent him the video before he deployed/right after his dad died. My bad.

No problem 😊

Anyway, I know I’ve already mentioned Ugly Betty and Matt’s workplace abuse of Betty, but him accusing Betty of sleeping with Daniel and slut-shaming her was enraging. He totally deserved Daniel punching him in the face, and my only regret is that he didn’t do it harder!

• Like 2

General Hospital. Again regarding Sonny and Brenda. This is a much smaller scale than to usually evil crap Sonny does and the show brushes aside, but man did a get an uptick in anger when it happened. 

Tracy and Luke were doing a proper wedding at her families home. During the reception Sonny and Brenda step away and Sonny proposes to Brenda. They come back in during the reception and ANNOUNCE IT. Tracy is IMHO, rightfully upset and calls it rude, but Luke brushes it off, calling it romantic. No Luke, Tracy is right, it was rude, so f*ck him too. And no, the reception doesn't mean the wedding is over, it is part of the wedding. The wedding isn't over until there is tear down of the hall and everyone is on their way home.  No one should be announcing their own good news during other people's celebration unless you get explicit permission for whoever the guest(s) of honor. That is when everyone is together? Well sucks to suck and we all have video chats and phones. Of course later in the episode, it shows exactly why you don't do such a thing as the wedding guests were now focused on Sonny and Brenda and congratulating them.

I always liked that on Friends, during Monica and Chandler's wedding, Rachel was doing her best to keep her pregnancy a secret so she wouldn't take the shine off of Monica, despite her own inner turmoil as it was unplanned. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

always liked that on Friends, during Monica and Chandler's wedding, Rachel was doing her best to keep her pregnancy a secret so she wouldn't take the shine off of Monica, despite her own inner turmoil

As a Chandler/Monica fan, I always hated how their wedding episode was all about Rachel. 

• Like 7
8 hours ago, partofme said:

As a Chandler/Monica fan, I always hated how their wedding episode was all about Rachel. 

Friends always had season finales and premiers like that. Monica and Chandler first hooking up was done in a similar manner (Ross' wedding to Emily). It was a huge surprise in the season 4 finale and a big part of season 5 premier. 

• Like 4
(edited)
16 hours ago, Ambrosefolly said:

I always liked that on Friends, during Monica and Chandler's wedding, Rachel was doing her best to keep her pregnancy a secret so she wouldn't take the shine off of Monica, despite her own inner turmoil as it was unplanned. 

I always like when friends try to do that. On Sex and the City Charlotte, Samantha and Carrie tried to keep the secret that Samantha had cancer from Miranda because they didn't want to ruin her wedding.  

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 2
13 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I always like when friends try to do that. On Sex and the City Charlotte, Samantha and Carrie tried to keep the secret that Samantha had cancer from Miranda because they didn't want to ruin her wedding. 

On Mom, the core group is made up of women who attend AA meetings together and regularly get together outside of them.  Just after the wedding ceremony of the oldest one, Marjorie, the rest find out their newest and youngest member, Jodi, died of an overdose.  They decide they won't tell Marjorie; they'll let her enjoy the reception and her honeymoon, and tell her when she gets back. 

What I most appreciated was that when Marjorie returned and found out, she was pissed.  In a way Marjorie rarely is; she even walked out of a meeting:  She shares that "Instead of grieving with all of you, I was on a cruise ship to Alaska.  That's not the choice I would have made, but that choice was made for me. ... Right now I am so angry and frustrated that I can't even get to how heartbroken I am over losing that sweet little girl" and then can't even be around them.

But after a few days of processing, she tells Christy she knows her heart was in the right place in not telling her, just wanting her to enjoy her honeymoon, which she did, and apologizes, saying she channeled all her emotions about Jodi into being angry.

Getting back to the irate-making scenarios where a character makes someone else's wedding about them makes me think of something similar -- I recently re-watched Who's the Boss? and in it, Sam idiotically decides to marry her boyfriend, even though they have only been dating for two months, are really young, still in school, etc.  Because this is idiotic, all the parents freak, so they decide to elope.  In the midst of all that did happen, I kept thinking about what would have happened had they had a "regular" wedding as planned -- Tony and Angela's own wedding was scheduled three months out at this point, and Sam and Hank were in a hurry, so did she intend to get married at the same time?  Right before, right after?  Rude.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Well @Bastet, someone just dying is a good enough reason to break news at a wedding (at least the person is a mutual friend and quietly to the side) , but I too prefer the overcorrection with good intentions to what Sonny and Brenda did, which was disregard the feeling of the bride, who already didn't like him, on her special day. 

One of the things that piss me off is, like with Sonny's grooming of Karen Wexler being dismissed in the 90s, it can seep into the real world. In a certain bio by a certain European prince, he confirmed rumors that he and his wife went around to people at his cousin's wedding reception telling them they were expecting, even though the wife wasn't showing much yet. To me this was particularly classless as he seemed the closest to that cousin and the cousin was forced to postpone her engagement announcement and wedding as he was more "senior" in the family, despite the fact she dated her husband for much longer. 

Something similar happened in the US version of Queer as Folk, where the one of the women in the lesbian couple proposed to her live in lover at her sister's wedding reception. 

• Useful 2

Proposing at someone else's wedding is tacky as hell. I guess they claim to have gotten swept away by the romance of the moment, though in Sonny's case, I'm sure he did it 100% to take attention away from the bride and groom. Sonny is a dick!

I remember the ep in Mom, where the girl died and they didn't tell Marjorie. The great thing about that ep is that I understood each side's POV and IIRC the show didn't really take sides. The friends were doing what they thought was right in trying to save Marjorie from spending her honeymoon grieving, not to mention that she would go on to equate her wedding with Jodie's death. But Marjorie was also right in being angry that they took away her chance to grieve with the group, then then she thought about it and accepted that they did what they did out of love. That really was an underrated comedy. Some of it was stupid but I always thought the bond between the women in the group was so strong and well written. 

Announcing your pregnancy at someone else's wedding is just selfish. It's not like you're going to be any less pregnant the next day. Just let the bride and groom have their day, a day they have probably been planning for nearly a year or more. It's not quite as bad as proposing at someone else's wedding, but really, a wedding and reception should be about celebrating the bride and groom, and this is from someone who actually dislikes wedding, but still, I can respect that it is important to the people who spent a fortune to have one. 

• Like 7
  • Useful 1

I don't like proposing in front of others in general. It just seems like a bit of emotional blackmail. Like "You wouldn't reject me in front of all these people, would you?" I wish someone would, just for the reason they proposed in public.

• Like 10
  • Applause 5
2 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

I don't like proposing in front of others in general. It just seems like a bit of emotional blackmail. Like "You wouldn't reject me in front of all these people, would you?" I wish someone would, just for the reason they proposed in public.

That actually happened on a recent episode of "Abbott Elementary" - one of the main characters had a boyfriend who'd been dropping big hints about wanting to marry her for some time, and she'd kept telling him that she had no plans to get married again, that she was fine with their relationship as it was. 

Well, in said episode, he did this whole public proposal in front of a classroom full of students, complete with a player from a football team there, the whole works...

...and she not only turned down his proposal, but ultimately broke up with him, because way to completely not get the message that she wasn't looking to get married again, dude. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 5
(edited)

Public proposals are fine as long as there is clear communication that your relationship is in a good place for the next step (i.e. that person WANTS to get married) and the other person likes that sort of grand romantic gesture.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 7

Rory Gilmore and Tess McGill (in Working Girl) turned down their public proposals.  I agree that it's probably not the best idea and am glad my husband didn't do it, even though I wanted to marry him and knew it would happen eventually.

• Like 8
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Public proposals are fine as long as there is clear communication that your relationship is in a good place for the next step (i.e. that person WANTS to get married) and the other person likes that sort of grand romantic gesture.

I agree. If the person being proposed to loves that sort of thing. Then it's great. But if the person doesn't don't do that. 

• Like 8

American Crime Story: The People Vs OJ Simpson: The douchebag cashier joking about how the prosecution was “in for a hell of a week” after he rings up a tampon box for Marcia.

Supposedly that really happened. And if so, I applaud Marcia for not chucking the box right in his stupid face. And FYI, you shouldn’t assume it’s that time of the month just because a person is buying tampons!!!!

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

American Crime Story: The People Vs OJ Simpson: The douchebag cashier joking about how the prosecution was “in for a hell of a week” after he rings up a tampon box for Marcia.

Supposedly that really happened. And if so, I applaud Marcia for not chucking the box right in his stupid face. And FYI, you shouldn’t assume it’s that time of the month just because a person is buying tampons!!!!

The sexism she faced during that trial was ridiculous. I read a book "90"s (B-word)" a while back and one of the parts talked about her experience during that trial and it left me with the impression that sexism played a role in helping OJ get off.

Edited by MadyGirl1987
  • Like 9
40 minutes ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

The sexism she faced during that trial was ridiculous. I read a book "90"s (B-word)" a while back and one of the parts talked about her experience during that trial and it left me with the impression that sexism played a role in helping OJ get off.

It absolutely did.  There were jury members and others who discounted the documented incidents of domestic violence by OJ towards Nicole despite multiple police reports, photos of her injuries and trips to the hospital.  OJ even went to court and pled no contest to the charges.   

Yet, more than one juror said that they personally did not believe that just because a man beat his wife, it meant that he was capable of killing her.  'Believe women' was not a thing back then, at all.

• Sad 5
  • Useful 1
9 hours ago, Notabug said:

It absolutely did.  There were jury members and others who discounted the documented incidents of domestic violence by OJ towards Nicole despite multiple police reports, photos of her injuries and trips to the hospital.  OJ even went to court and pled no contest to the charges.   

Yet, more than one juror said that they personally did not believe that just because a man beat his wife, it meant that he was capable of killing her.  'Believe women' was not a thing back then, at all.

No it wasn't.  Even non-famous abuses very rarely went to jail for that crime.  No one cared not the police who very rarely even arrested anyone and not the courts who dismissed the charges or find them not guilty. There was a guy who abused his wife in my town around the same time as the trial he ended up taking his wife and kid hostage and threatening to kill them. He got four months of anger management because the judge felt no one was hurt. 

• Sad 7
  • Angry 4
17 hours ago, MadyGirl1987 said:

Plenty of other factors were at play, but yes. It’s a perfect parallel to the case itself. The jury favored the charismatic man over the strident woman with facts and evidence.

Then of course there was this scene where Marcia tries to get the paps to back off her by changing her look:

It was Ito’s “Good morning, Ms. Clark…I think” that pissed me off even more than Shapiro’s sarcastic thumbs-up.

The bit with the reporter rolling his eyes over Dunne and Darden pointing out that O.J. was buddies with the LAPD, which enabled him to basically get away with beating Nicole for as long as he did. Especially when he had the nerve to accuse Darden of being the sell-out.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Plenty of other factors were at play, but yes. It’s a perfect parallel to the case itself. The jury favored the charismatic man over the strident woman with facts and evidence.

Then of course there was this scene where Marcia tries to get the paps to back off her by changing her look:

It was Ito’s “Good morning, Ms. Clark…I think” that pissed me off even more than Shapiro’s sarcastic thumbs-up.

The bit with the reporter rolling his eyes over Dunne and Darden pointing out that O.J. was buddies with the LAPD, which enabled him to basically get away with beating Nicole for as long as he did. Especially when he had the nerve to accuse Darden of being the sell-out.

I remember that. People and reporters went on forever about her haircut saying so many horrible things about it. 

• Angry 5

Ugh! Focusing on a haircut instead of, you know, the two people who were violently murdered sums it up pretty well. I can’t imagine what Nicole and Ron’s families and friends went through seeing the circus that was the murder trial.

• Like 8