Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Landing

Alicia and Lucca travel to Toronto to represent NSA agent Jeff Delinger (Zach Woods) who was detained by customs officers while attempting to re-enter the United States. Diane grows concerned when her husband, Kurt McVeigh (Gary Cole), decides to retire and sell his business to Holly Westfall (Megan Hilty), a rival business owner.  Peter contemplates an uncertain future when faced with a possible arrest.
Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I had such high hopes in that last scene that this relationship between Alicia and Jason would end. Maybe this show will get back on track in the last few episodes, i thought. When she said, "You", I actually swore aloud in my living room.

The Canadian stereotypes were.... perplexing.

How far this show has fallen. Such lazy writing to pair her together with Jason and conveniently make Peter go to jail so he can get out of the picture.

• Love 11

When Jason asked Alicia what she wanted, I was expecting Alicia to have a Freudian slip and say, "Will."

I don't know why Alicia is still defending Peter, and I really don't know why Eli bothers with either of them.

• Love 5

The portrayal of Canada in this episode was...really weird. Like, maybe because I have only visited our neighbors to the north a few times, but I never got the vibe that it was filled with the smuggest, most annoying, most anti-American people on the entire planet. Like, who talks like that lady, especially in a professional setting, while dealing with something that could become an international incident? What the hell? 

I am so over the NSA fratboys and their bullshit. They are not funny anymore, they just waste time that could be spent on more interesting characters. 

C List Snowden still exists I guess. And he sucks at being in exile. 

Jason and Alicia are going to end up being the OTP of this show, and I am going to puke. I drank two glasses of red wine before this episode, and I still cannot deal with them. 

• Love 10

Perplexing is one word for the portrayal of the Canadians.  I would also say annoying.  The JP was ridiculous.  WTF was with her "American style interrupting" condescension?  The CSE supervisor and his "aboot".  Why didn't he have a Timmies in his hand?  I did like the Toronto Blue Jays t-shirts.  LOL  

I'm very glad they didn't blow up Diane's marriage.  

• Love 16

Funny to watch Alicia's old reflexes kick in: getting the tie for Peter and putting it on him, speaking up for him on camera. The moment when she realized that Peter was probably going to jail seemed to really shake her. I sure HOPE they are not winding up for us to expect her to finish where she started, as Peter's wife.  ETA: WOULD Peter be stupid enough, as States Attorney, to fix a trial like that? Even for a big donor? It seems like a really stupid thing to have done, and Peter's vain, and ambitious, but he's not stupid.

But there is far too much between Alicia and Peter for them ever to truly be free of each other, I think. Even other than the kids, those two know how to push each other's buttons like no one else, and the "loving couple" act they put on when they need to seems to have real roots.

I would prefer if Alicia had an "I choose me" moment, but on reflection, would prefer her to stick with Peter than with Smirky. And I'll bet if you asked the thousands of people listening in at the NSA (and now the Canadian security bureau), they'd agree.

Also ETA:

I'm very glad they didn't blow up Diane's marriage.

Diane's marriage is one of the last depictions of mature adults working out their differences on the show. Thank goodness Christine Baranski and Gary Cole have such amazing chemistry and can also at the hell out of those scenes. 

Edited by kwnyc
  • Love 19

Wow, this show managed to find something I still really care about, and it's not Alicia. Or Peter's arrest. Or the case of the week. Or the NSA. I shouted at my TV when I thought Diane might be headed for divorce, and I laughed out loud when she told the blonde gun lady to "Go F--". Nice that they still care about some of the old relationships, and so good to see Gary Cole again.

• Love 13

*sigh*

So much bad in one episode.

This is a case of the writers clearly not doing adequate research. A simple Wikipedia search will show that U.S. authorities really do not have arresting power on the passengers. As well, that arrangement is clearly posted in the preclearance area, in both official languages, that passengers can withdraw at any time.

Legal restrictions

These facilities exist because of agreements made between the federal government of the United States and the governments of the host countries. Travellers who have passed through the U.S. government checks, but whose flight or ship has not departed, remain in the legal jurisdiction of the host country. U.S. officials may question and search travellers with the passenger's permission, but they do not have powers of arrest (either for customs or immigration violations, or for the execution of outstanding warrants), although they can deny boarding. Local criminal laws apply, and are enforced by local officials. Some countries have laws in place specifically to cover preclearance issues. Since CBP does not have legal powers on foreign soil, passengers can only be detained for local laws by local authorities. A passenger can choose to abandon their flight and refuse search, and unlike in the United States, officers cannot search them. Most preclearance facilities have a sign explaining this. CBP Officers in the Preclearance Division are not armed while on foreign soil.

In Ontario:

Justices of the Peace

Justices of the peace hear bail applications and prosecutions of provincial offences. Provincial offences include trespass, liquor licensing, traffic offences, dog owners’ liability, parking and noise by-laws, and environmental protection.

And what is that that a legal hearing is done in an airport terminal? The terminal does not have extra-territorial jurisdiction. It is not an embassy or consulate.

Enough with all the Canadian stereotype already. Blue Jays t-shirt and Quebec flag in the CSE office? The Justice of peace flaunting our politeness and health care? Like, seriously?

Is Crouse really the only investigator in the whole Chicagoland?

On the casting side, Secretary Durant is now Canadian? And Megan Hilty looks less chubby than in Smash, which is not good. She looks cuter and more adorable being a bit chubbier.

• Love 3

I thought the Canadian stereotypes were hilarious, and I say that as a Canadian. She was quirky farcical judge/justice of the week, and her schtick was propping up Canada. Also loved the commitment to aboot-ing it up. We do get a little smug about how we don't have America's problems, even though in most cases we totally do have some version of those problems.

If we're not smug to people's faces it's because we're not rude, lol. Justice was pretty American on that score. (Joking! hee)

Haven't been watching this show regularly, but it seemed like a better week tham most lately for Diane and Cary.

• Love 13

The Toronto airport barely looked like the real Pearson International airport. You would also be unlikely to see a Bienvenue a Toronto sign on its own. Canada is a bilingual country and there would be either one sign with both English and French translations or two separate ones. The US check-in/clearance area would also be very sophisticated at Canada's major airport. The Terminal 3 announcements also bothered me - some US flights depart from that terminal, and others don't.

Few people in Canada talk like airport lady. Canadian law is also a bit different than US law.

No Tom Horton's coffee cup to add to the stereotype. Add a couple of Mounties and a beaver....

Edited by Frozendiva
  • Love 5

The Bienvenue a Toronto sign was also dumb.  Our official signage is bilingual.  Cheesy posters like that don't need to be in Ontario.

A thousand times yes to the depiction of a growns-up relationship involving talking and compromise.  Thank you for Diane's relationship.

• Love 2

As a Canadian, I rarely enjoy American portrayal of Canada but this one was especially odd and off-putting. I know the aboot thing has to make its way in there somewhere, but typically Toronto isn't a place where Canadians have that accent. And all the other stuff about no interruptions, being polite, and the snobbishness was just strange.

Of course Peter got arrested again. And it sounds like he did it. I am not surprised. He has always been trash. It's a shame that this might not drag Alicia down too.

• Love 4

As a Canadian, I can say that many here are smug about our perceived superiority to America (or as we call it, the States). But it's a quiet smugness. :)

No one pronounces the second T in Toronto, that's about the only thing the movie Argo got right. And I have never heard someone say aboot, unless it's in a joking "mocking of stereotypes" way. And the airport PA announcements would have been repeated in French, that's pretty standard. And the "your Worship" nonsense isn't even true, as many JPs do go by "your Honour".

• Love 6

And I have never heard someone say aboot, unless it's in a joking "mocking of stereotypes" way.

Heh. Americans use a lot of extra vowels so I get why it sounds that way to them. :) Accents are weird! But anyway I didn't perceive that they were shooting for all that much seriousness in those scenes. We had the stuff back in Chicago for that.

Is Megan Hilty coming back? Otherwise what a waste of Megan Hilty.

I will never get the Jason appeal and I cringe and fast forward through any of their scenes. I don't care if they get together but it could be my bias against Jeffrey Dean Morgan's one note acting.

• Love 6

Why didn't he have a Timmies in his hand?  I did like the Toronto Blue Jays t-shirts.  LOL  

Oh noooooooooooooo.  I missed it.  I need to make screencaps.  F*!  Thank you for telling me.

Jason's body is weird.  I feel kind of bad for saying that but I also don't.  I don't like it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1

LOOOOOOOL.  I would so get along with those people!  If only I could handle the gore which I cannot.

For the Canadians, I stole this screencap off of Twitter:

Cg_Sp_Cp_GWIAAdn3a.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

I'm glad they didn't ruin Diane's marriage.  CB and GC are really good together, and Diane/Kurt are one of the few things that is still interesting on the show.

I was also amused that David Lee and Diane (the two people who were about to set the firm back on the partner musical chairs path again) were the ones holding down the fort.  Cary has moved on, Alicia is dealing with yet another one of Peter's scandals, and Diane and David Lee are left to deal with the fallout at the firm.

• Love 5

Take heart, Canadians, who feel the show's portrayal isn't accurate. I live in Chicago - they get a ton of stuff wrong about here, too.

This may be a dumb question, but have they ever explicitly stated why Peter was indicted and arrested, beyond generic "corruption" charges? The bit about influencing the mistrial is mostly speculation at this point, I believe (based on them eavesdropping on the grand jury) If someone is arrested, don't they have the right to know the details of why?

I guess I'd like them to spell it out a bit more plainly. Or maybe they haven't yet because it's going to be some plot twist in the last few episodes.

Nice to see Cary, but why was he wearing a suit??? Didn't he quit? Rock the casual look, Cary!

Edited by candle96
  • Love 3

I love our (occasionally smug, but never to our faces) neighbors to the north, but all of the Canada stuff made me laugh. I can see why the depiction might annoy Canadians, but I thought it was every bit as accurate as TGW's portrayal of Chicago, Iowans, cops, Republicans, and just about everyone who isn't named Florrick. That is, hokey and one-dimensional.

Giggly schoolgirl Alicia is GROSS. Stop thinking with your lady parts, answer your phone, go to the office, and pretend you remember how to be a professional. In short, do your damned job.

As usual, Lucca is a thousand times more competent than Alicia. If she was allowed to be a real character with motivations and feelings instead of Alicia's designated sidekick and cheerleader, she'd resent that she's always working while Alicia flits about worrying about her personal life.

I'm loving DGAF Cary. "You expected sweatpants?" Lol

Diane and Kurt are made of win. THAT'S how you do sexy and flirty. I was super-pissed that Diane took it upon herself to turn down Kurt's deal without consulting with him, but she redeemed herself by realizing that at the end.

I freaking love Megan Hilty, and I'm so excited she's FINALLY on the show! I'm guessing she'll turn out to have been the inept/incompetent ballistics expert from the crime lab in her earlier life?

Unpopular opinion, but I love the NSA guys. But I was hoping Snowden-lite would lose, if only to prove that LG-lite shouldn't have pushed out Cary, who was apparently their only international law expert. (Since their next-best resource is a greasy investigator who used to be some kind of lawyer in another jurisdiction. They have two floors, as they always remind us. None of those people know anything?)

Maybe it was my TV, but Wiggy looked green in that last scene in Alicia's apartment. Happily, that distracted me from that dreck on my screen. What's that about not needing a man waiting in the wings before you can grow the balls to ask for a divorce, Alicia? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I've been marathoning the first six seasons, and I've become more and more convinced that Peter is the true love of Alicia's life. Tonight solidified that for me. And I'm fine with that, because Alicia becoming an independent person is clearly not going to happen.

• Love 8
And what is that that a legal hearing is done in an airport terminal?

One last stab at quirkiness in a courtroom, I suppose.  I was flashbacking on the movie Airplane!, with all the random PA announcements.

Was that the same passport control clerk that they used on The Blacklist last week?

I was waiting for Ms. Ballistics to blurt out (completely unaware of Dianne's marriage to Kurt) "He gave me this necklace at the gun show in Baltimore."  Awkward moment x 10.

• Love 1

I laughed out loud when she told the blonde gun lady to "Go F--".

Me too! I swear I almost heard "yourself" after the "Go F--."

I thought the Canadian stereotypes were hilarious, and I say that as a Canadian. She was quirky farcical judge/justice of the week, and her schtick was propping up Canada. Also loved the commitment to aboot-ing it up. We do get a little smug about how we don't have America's problems, even though in most cases we totally do have some version of those problems.

If we're not smug to people's faces it's because we're not rude, lol. Justice was pretty American on that score. (Joking! hee)

Haven't been watching this show regularly, but it seemed like a better week tham most lately for Diane and Cary.

I thought it was hilarious too. I'm a Yank, but my sister was "landed" during the Vietnam War and finally renounced her US citizenship last year for tax reasons. Talk about smug, you should've heard her rant about the new tax laws! And I am also a Chicago area viewer, so yeah, turnabout (not turnaboot) is fair play with stereotyping. Anyway, the judge lady wasn't anymore farcical than the Tascionis.

The only thing that bothered me was Lucca using the T word (treason).

• Love 4

Giggly schoolgirl Alicia is GROSS. Stop thinking with your lady parts, answer your phone, go to the office, and pretend you remember how to be a professional. In short, do your damned job.

As usual, Lucca is a thousand times more competent than Alicia. If she was allowed to be a real character with motivations and feelings instead of Alicia's designated sidekick and cheerleader, she'd resent that she's always working while Alicia flits about worrying about her personal life.

The show has done everything short of a football-play kind of diagram illustrating how hot and forbidden the Alicia & Jason hookups are. When you have to work that hard -- several scenes every episode -- and it's still no more convincing, move it along! I'm starting to wonder if JM just can't act convincingly in this respect, and again I'm left wondering if all of the Will/Alicia heat was brought by Josh. Lucca and Robie convinced me, Diane standing in the same room as Kurt convinces me, David Lee referencing a dollar amount convinces me, but Alicia and Jason make me think of dirty bar of soap.

I guess we're not going to get a scene where Lucca wakes up from her stupor and realizes she brought more to their firm, and their move to Lockhart/Whomever, than Alicia; maybe we're supposed to believe she'd still be stuck in bond court if not for Alicia giving her an opportunity. Yuck. This show has always been pretty weak with respect to explaining why Alicia is so sought after as lead council (other than with Colin Sweeney). This weekend I watched part of an older episode where Alicia asked for a raise when she decided she wanted to buy her old house back for $1.9M, and then acted put out when her request was met with a higher pay rate than every other associate but not enough to buy the nearly $2M house after being with the firm for something like 2 yrs. She even whined to Canning about it. No one could accuse her of not knowing her worth, or *cough,* inflating it. 

Jason's body is weird.  I feel kind of bad for saying that but I also don't.  I don't like it.

I've got to agree, and his head isn't helping matters, IMO. He really exemplifies that candy-apple physique they say actors have, but it's worse because of the facial hair and everything making it look even larger. He's like a teenager whose body froze in time and whose head aged rapidly and then caught a werewolf virus along the way. He's free to look however, but choosing him to be the eye candy was sloppy work.

Nice to see Cary, but why was he wearing a suit??? Didn't he quit? Rock the casual look, Cary!

I clapped when Cary was shown, and relieved that the writers remembered Matt Czuchry is still a cast member. Go Cary, you shouldn't have any fucks to give about the Florricks and their greasy & never-ending shenanigans in their quest for infinite power and more money. Alicia was just the worst partner and coworker to him, I wish he'd key her car or leave a flaming bag of dog shit at her (totally accessible) apartment door though. 

Is Crouse really the only investigator in the whole Chicagoland?

Does he do anything other than screen his calls in empty rooms/cars or just sit in cars? It was a real blast from the past watching the rerun this weekend and seeing an investigator drive, walk, run, take notes, interview witnesses and courthouse staff and officers, etc. To think there used to be a focus on Robyn, Kalinda and the state's guy Andrew all investigating cases?! It's almost like cases required difficult and lengthy work. It seems like we're supposed to think Jason is gifted in some way because he was a lawyer, but they give us nothing to work with.

So happy for all the Diane this week (and the inclusion of Chris Noth and Matt too)!!

• Love 7

I felt like we got two Star Wars shout outs tonight, first when the American attorneys had to refer to the justice of the peace as "your worship" and then again when Diane told Kurt he makes her happy and his response was "I know." You guys, I am just trying to make it through the last few episodes so let me live with my delusions.

I'm glad that we got to see Diane and Kurt happy together at the beginning and the end of this episode. And I appreciate that although she briefly lost her head, she realized she had overstepped and apologized to him, telling him that it was his company and he could sell it to whomever he wanted for whatever price he wanted. I just wish she would have added that she shouldn't have judged Megan Hilty's character based on her appearance. You can be beautiful and blonde AND smart/business savvy/great in your field. Assuming she's just some bimbo because she isn't old, ugly, or wearing a turtleneck really doesn't go with Diane's usual "I'm a woman supporting other women" attitude.

I really wish that Alicia would learn to use the peephole in her apartment door. At least that way you know it's Jackie or Mr. Schue or Eli or whoever before they barge into your house. I guess my question is who DOESN'T have a key to her place? Obviously Peter has one since he and Eli were waiting for her when she got back from Toronto. But Jason has one too?

The one thing I enjoy about the NSA characters is how they treat everything like it's a soap opera. The way they talk about Alicia and the other people in her life sounds like friends talking about what happened on Melrose Place.

No one pronounces the second T in Toronto, that's about the only thing the movie Argo got right.

When I initially read your post, I skimmed right over the word "second" and thought "Oronto?" Then I re-read your post and laughed at my own stupidity.

He's like a teenager whose body froze in time and whose head aged rapidly and then caught a werewolf virus along the way.

Ha, this may be the best description I've read of anyone!

• Love 4

ETA: WOULD Peter be stupid enough, as States Attorney, to fix a trial like that? Even for a big donor? It seems like a really stupid thing to have done, and Peter's vain, and ambitious, but he's not stupid.

In the Back-Where-We-Started scene, I was really expecting Peter to say they were back where they started, but adding ".. but this time I'm actually innocent.  Don't that figure?"  We didn't get that so I'm assuming he did.  And you're right, he's not stupid but he can be arrogant and arrogance will get you almost every time.

I would prefer if Alicia had an "I choose me" moment,

This.  A thousand times this.  Especially given her (current) choice.  

Edited by ChuckWagon
  • Love 1

I was rooting for an 'I choose me'-moment even back in the days of Will and Alicia. It's exhausting and futile. I have nothing against Jason - he's obviously her type. But the fact that Alicia only asked for a divorce after having another man in her life undermines any claims the show tries to make that she's finally coming into her own.

Loved Diane and Kurt. Baranski and Cole are terrific together. I wonder if they ad libbed the tooth-chipping moment. I also liked (for a change) David Lee and his eagerness to help Diane with the gun lady. I had little sympathy for the character. Despite her claims to the contrary she did not behave like a professional. Was she not aware that Diane was Kurt's wife? She did her very best to piss her off. Why not simply state that since Kurt had made the offer Kurt should talk to her if he was having second thoughts and then walk away?

I guess they were going for cool visuals when they chose the location for the 'trial' - but having watched too many episodes of 'Border Security' I'm pretty sure the Toronto airport has offices and conference rooms better suited to deal with a case full of potential to create a diplomatic incident than an open space with galleries for shady spooks to eavesdrop.

• Love 6

I'm trying to figure out what Cary's cryptic comments to Jason were about.  I can't decide if he was trying to tell Jason that when things go sideways Alicia would foolishly stand by Peter, and Jason doesn't want to go down with them, or if now that Cary has looked back over the case, he sees things that initially didn't raise any red flags, but now they do.

• Love 1

Yes, I totally loved that despite the David/Diane drama that's been going on lately, he was totally on board with helping her this week. At first I couldn't decide if that was bad writing/conveniently forgetting that David has been waging a secret battle against her ever since Alicia came back to the firm or if he was only pretending to help Diane so that he could somehow screw her in the end, but once Megan Hilty walked into the conference room he definitely seemed on Diane's side which was nice to see again. I'm glad that we didn't have to deal with the "David suspects that Diane wants to kick out all the men" plot this week. I am so tired of the inter-office conflicts/suspicions/power plays. I miss seeing these lawyers work together instead of against each other.

• Love 6

In the Back-Where-We-Started scene, I was really expecting Peter to say they were back where they started, but adding ".. but this time I'm actually innocent.  Don't that figure?"  We didn't get that so I'm assuming he did.  And you're right, he's not stupid but he can be arrogant and arrogance will get you almost every time.

Wasn't he actually innocent the first time? Actually, don't answer that. I don't care.

I'm trying to figure out what Cary's cryptic comments to Jason were about.  I can't decide if he was trying to tell Jason that when things go sideways Alicia would foolishly stand by Peter, and Jason doesn't want to go down with them, or if now that Cary has looked back over the case, he sees things that initially didn't raise any red flags, but now they do.

Good thinking. It hadn't occurred to me but I think the first theory makes a lot of sense.

Maybe I'm a bad feminist or something, but Alicia trying to help Peter was the first time I've liked her in a while. It felt like she was doing something, taking action, making up her own mind, being true to herself. No agenda, just reaction. I know the situation is more nuanced than that (TM Crazy Ex-Girlfriend) but seeing Alicia ACT without calculating everything felt real.

I like Will Patton but I am sick of Tascioni and that dog or cat or whatever it is.

• Love 5

So many call-backs to earlier scenes/themes in this episode. In addition to the ones already mentioned--

1. The condescending attitude that the Canadian JOP had toward "American interruptions" reminded me of the French judge from the doping episode, who kept comparing Will to Rambo and making snide comments about American stereotypes.  

2. Alicia grabbing Peter's coat and tie while he was being arrested brought me back to the episode in Season 1 where she left the apartment to have dinner with Will and Peter followed her, triggering the alarm on his electronic monitoring. She dropped everything in that moment to get him back into the apartment and notify his lawyer of his impending arrest (which didn't materialize thanks to the story the kids made up). Interestingly, back in S1 that led to a decision to work on reconciling her marriage -- but this time Alicia seems to be compartmentalizing more and letting herself move toward Jason in spite of her last showing of loyalty to Peter. That said, I still think it's likely that Peter and Alicia will end up together at the end, brought together by the scandal.

3. The ambiguity of the charges against Peter, as well as the ambiguity of his guilty or innocence, reminds of numerous previous plot lines in the show, especially those involving Peter. He always claimed that he was innocent of the abuse of office charges that led to his pre-S1 arrest, but was he really? Did Peter fix the SA race for Alicia, or is that just a theory that some characters in the show have? Did Peter sleep with Marilyn as Eli stated in the season premiere, or was he just speculating? They've done it with Alicia too -- for example, the rider that David Lee may or may not have tricked her into signing in S3. While I think we all have a natural tendency to want to know the objective truth, the reality of most real-life situations is that we can't ever know what the objective truth is. From an artistic standpoint, I appreciate that the show's narrative has been to show perspectives without confirming objectivity in every storyline. 

• Love 2

I like that Peter is still corrupt but I really don't care about the details of his case. Just bring in Larry David to "Yada yada" the whole procedure. 

Did you get what part of the episode was aboot? It's aboot Canada! It's aboot how the US can't compare! I think I figured that oot on the third aboot.

Luka's right - those are cute hats.

Did not-Snowdon actually cross into US territory when he crossed the yellow line? He was clearly back in Canada when he crossed back, and I don't know what the rules are for that. I don't think back seat with your brother rules ("This is MY space, this is YOUR space, and the arm rest is no-man's land") are applicable here. That allowed my brother to reach over into my space whenever he thought there might be even the slightest transgression into his sacred territory, which, like the Toronto airport, included no-man's land. 

Edited by beeble
  • Love 1

I've lived in Toronto my whole life (there seem to be a lot of us here. Hi!) and I didn't have a problem with the stereotyping (which was limited to the comedy scenes). Pearson didn't look like Pearson, except in the sense that all big international airports look the same. The CSE guy in the Jays shirt/the aboot was quick visual shorthand so we'd get what they were watching. And they've presented non-Americans as stereotypes before. In season 4 when Alicia was arguing a case before the Olympic court, the French judges were nationalist snobs, and they've done the UK as a stereotype as well. 

Mostly I'm just glad this episode closed about 10 hanging plot threads. The NSA guys, Peter actually being arrested, the divorce, Alicia being honest with Jason. I suppose no more twists in Peter's case? It's really just him tanking a trial?

Why was Davis Lee involved at all in Diane's plot? He does family law. And one thing that would have been cool? Actual Canadians playing the Canadians. I've never seen a real Canadian accent on a show like this (deliberately) except on Downton Abbey, of all places. 

• Love 2

Why was Davis Lee involved at all in Diane's plot? He does family law. And one thing that would have been cool? Actual Canadians playing the Canadians. I've never seen a real Canadian accent on a show like this (deliberately) except on Downton Abbey, of all places. 

Can't have that because then you won't get the campy ridiculous accents. The way some viewers felt rage-y every time the writers hit the large desk/tiny office jokes, that's how I felt with all the aboot stuff. I don't mind the judge being quirky or an asshole (because she was and some people are no matter what country they're from) but I just hate the aboot thing. It's a lazy joke that doesn't take any skill to write at all.

• Love 3

I love our (occasionally smug, but never to our faces) neighbors to the north, but all of the Canada stuff made me laugh. I can see why the depiction might annoy Canadians, but I thought it was every bit as accurate as TGW's portrayal of Chicago, Iowans, cops, Republicans, and just about everyone who isn't named Florrick. That is, hokey and one-dimensional.

Thank you!  Word, word, word to this.  ^^

Did you get what part of the episode was aboot? It's aboot Canada! It's aboot how the US can't compare! I think I figured that oot on the third aboot.

Ha!  Thanks for making me spew my coffee on my computer screen this morning.

• Love 4

I think the former, except I don't think he was warning Jason that they'd bring him down.  I think he was just saying, "Don't think you're special.  Don't think she has your back.  In the end, she only thinks of herself, and (occasionally) Peter.  If you think she has any loyalty to you, you're lying to yourself."  And I agree.

While I think we all have a natural tendency to want to know the objective truth, the reality of most real-life situations is that we can't ever know what the objective truth is. From an artistic standpoint, I appreciate that the show's narrative has been to show perspectives without confirming objectivity in every storyline.

Absolutely!  Even as the overall quality of the writing has declined, this is still one of the things the Kings do best, not ever really giving a straight answer or bringing things to a conclusion.  I know some people think it's sloppy, but IMO it's so brilliantly nuanced.  I love that there are a dozen ways to read every scene (like with the Cary scene above).  In real life, the only "truth" and motivations we really know are our own.  The rest of the time we're left to try to read tone and visual cues and filter that through our own history and biases to arrive at what we think is happening.

The CSE guy in the Jays shirt/the aboot was quick visual shorthand so we'd get what they were watching.

Agreed.  It may seem heavy-handed, but they had about 10 seconds to get across that these are Canadian NSA-types before they confused the audience.  Besides, is wearing a Blue Jays shirt really that crazy?  I'm in the St. Louis area, where we're admittedly pretty baseball-obsessed, but if the Cards are playing and people are allowed to wear t-shirts to work, there's a nearly 100% chance that at least one person will be wearing the Birds on the Bat.

The aboot thing cracks me up, because the Canadians I've met (as well as my cousins in Wisconsin) all say a very soft A-BOAT.  And they think I say A-BOWWWD. :-)

• Love 5
And you're right, he's not stupid but he can be arrogant and arrogance will get you almost every time.

As we have seen in real life, from Mayors to Presidents.  Power breeds arrogance.

Oddly enough, I never noticed the Blue Jays tee shirt in that scene.  I keyed in on the wall plaque behind them, saw the word Royal, and immediately knew it was the Canadian spies.

• Love 1

Silly stuff  - I did like we learn that Canada has its own version of NSA - likely not immune from spying a bit on citizens, but I don't know.  I thought it was a clever wrap up to that story (hoping it is the last of the snooping NSA guys - just not amused or interested) - and I did get a kick out of how they continued to be interrupted by the recording in the airport - silly, sure, but funny.  

Cannot stand Jason - he looks sleazy and greasy to me (don't know enough about the actor, I'm just talking about the character) - 

I don't care how it ends at this point - Alicia is such an unlikeable character for me at this point in time.  If she sticks with the husband or the investigator -eh, don't care.  

I couldn't tell (I think I zoned out a bit) - did Diane's husband have an affair or sleep with the woman who wanted to buy his company?  

• Love 3

I was so glad when Alicia finally seemed to be getting frustrated with Jason's non-answer answers.  She still knows virtually nothing about this guy (nor do we) and it's mostly because "Mr. Simplicity" is actually someone who pretty much never seems to be able to answer a direct question, instead deflecting, deflecting, deflecting.   In real life, this type of person ought to be sending out huge red lights and warning signals to anyone with any sense.

But my happiness was then immediately torpedoed by Alicia telling him that it's "you" [Jason] she wants.  Really, Alicia?  Other than sex, what do you know about this guy?  Not much.  Great basis for a relationship there.

Is Megan Hilty coming back? Otherwise what a waste of Megan Hilty.

Seriously.  It might be a scheduling issue, though, and they really wanted her but she could only do the one scene.  This week's Entertainment Weekly talks about how Good Wife has been able to fit in so many big Broadway people, but they also note that there were a few "gets" they unfortunately couldn't schedule (like Lin-Manuel Miranda, whose busy Hamilton obligation makes it impossible).

• Love 3
Unpopular opinion, but I love the NSA guys.

I love them, too! I always forget about them between their appearances, and then am completely surprised when they show up again. Like - oh, right, that's still going on. And it's actually to me an interesting portrayal, that this apparently vital information for national security is being collected by a bunch of fratty buffoons.

Also, while Canadians may not usually have the same smug condescension for Americans the judge had, as an American I think they absolutely should have. So I enjoyed that particular portrayal.

I didn't love Diane's jealousy of Megan Hilty. At all. Maybe it's time to update your list of personal flaws, sister.

I does seem strange that they'd book Megan Hilty for a role with basically two lines. I wonder if Diane's incredible rudeness to a female entrepreneur will have repercussions for her planned lady-led firm?

• Love 1
I didn't love Diane's jealousy of Megan Hilty.

I didn't either because Diane is awesome. But i hate the inside joke that there are oodles of amazing musical theatre people who walk in and out of this show, some of whom are regulars, and NEVER show off their chops to the rest of the world. So I really, really wanted Christine Baranski to launch into some Sondheim with Megan Hilty doing some non-Smashy stuff. 

Seriously. Lin Manuel Miranda is probably going to appear as a witness expert soon and Daveed Diggs will play a humorless investigator from neighboring Indiana who shows up to do something underwritten and boring while Nathan Lane goes back to playing the dreary guy who decides how much to pay people. 

• Love 3