Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Landing

Canadian here and the stereotypes were hilariously bad. This show is a parallel universe of all things. I was distracted that the JP was played by the same actress who plays the Secretary of State on "House of Cards". No Canadian would ever say to another Canadian, "Alberta, Canada." about a city. That's an Americanism because Americans aren't familiar with Canadian towns, but Chong is from Edmonton, not somewhere even obscure like Red Deer or Moosejaw. Sometimes, I think the show should have even pushed it further with their stereotypes. I'd have welcomed the Tim Hortons callback, Canadian music, and for them to have exaggerated the accent more. They did that on "That 70s Show" which was a fun poking at Canadian stereotypes.

What I absolutely loved about this episode was Diane/Kurt. A lot of this show has changed, but that relationship is still fantastic.

• Love 4

I felt like we got two Star Wars shout outs tonight, first when the American attorneys had to refer to the justice of the peace as "your worship" and then again when Diane told Kurt he makes her happy and his response was "I know." You guys, I am just trying to make it through the last few episodes so let me live with my delusions.

I'm glad that we got to see Diane and Kurt happy together at the beginning and the end of this episode. And I appreciate that although she briefly lost her head, she realized she had overstepped and apologized to him, telling him that it was his company and he could sell it to whomever he wanted for whatever price he wanted. I just wish she would have added that she shouldn't have judged Megan Hilty's character based on her appearance. You can be beautiful and blonde AND smart/business savvy/great in your field. Assuming she's just some bimbo because she isn't old, ugly, or wearing a turtleneck really doesn't go with Diane's usual "I'm a woman supporting other women" attitude.

I really wish that Alicia would learn to use the peephole in her apartment door. At least that way you know it's Jackie or Mr. Schue or Eli or whoever before they barge into your house. I guess my question is who DOESN'T have a key to her place? Obviously Peter has one since he and Eli were waiting for her when she got back from Toronto. But Jason has one too?

The one thing I enjoy about the NSA characters is how they treat everything like it's a soap opera. The way they talk about Alicia and the other people in her life sounds like friends talking about what happened on Melrose Place.

When I initially read your post, I skimmed right over the word "second" and thought "Oronto?" Then I re-read your post and laughed at my own stupidity.

Ha, this may be the best description I've read of anyone!

I did the same exact thing.  LOL

I like that Peter is still corrupt but I really don't care about the details of his case. Just bring in Larry David to "Yada yada" the whole procedure. 

Did you get what part of the episode was aboot? It's aboot Canada! It's aboot how the US can't compare! I think I figured that oot on the third aboot.

It wasn't about how Canada was better. The judge was annoying everyone when kept insisting on that - just like Patrice Lessner annoys everyone when she insists everyone says "In my opinion." Praising Canada and criticizing the US based on dumb stereotypes was her judge quirk. Besides, we learn in this episode that Canada has an equivalent spy agency that does the same things the NSA does, and is staffed by exactly the same kinds of people. Dellinger had crossed back into Canada. Everything the US had on him was a lie, up until they said he leaked info about killing the terrorist to wikileaks.

As for Peter, I think he's guilty because he isn't protesting his innocence, the scene with Cary, and most importantly, if Alicia divorces her husband who's being railroaded by a scary, all-powerful US government that has no problem destroying the lives of innocent people (it's not a coincidence the NSA guys were back this week), she's unsympathetic. If she divorces her husband who abused the power of his office to let a rich, violent murderer go free, then the audience won't judge her for cheating on Peter with Jason.

Speaking of Jason, I was not expecting the show to go where it did. This is the first time that Alicia wants a guy more than he wants her. All her other love interests (Will, Johnny, Finn, even Peter until season 5 or so) were in love with her and wanted a real relationship. Now, they're risking turning Alicia into clingy, needy, girl, which is the most pathetic a woman can be. So, that's kind of a daring choice.

• Love 1

I don't mind the idea of Alicia wanting something. I feel like I've been waiting years for her to want something passionately enough to matter, but Jason? Why Jason? The show hasn't really given me a reason for Jason to be the person getting her off her ass and actually acting for a change. He's smart, but really so was every other guy in her orbit. He's "good-looking" (JDM does nothing for me, but I see the fangirling on The Walking Dead boards so I know he's hot objectively.) But again, so are all the other guys. He's risky and a bit of a bad-boy. Peter, Will and Johnny all check that box to some degree. The sex is good, but we've seen Alicia enjoying herself with Peter and Will too. If she wants Jason, great, go for it, but I need the writers and the show to show me why. Give me a reason this is the thing that has sparked Alicia to action. I'm all for a character that is an internal person, but we need some insight if she's going to make such a huge change in her life and we haven't been getting it. Jason is Peter with a beard and a less important job to me. Their voices even sound similar. I need to understand what it is that Alicia is feeling because otherwise, I don't care and that makes me sad, because I've wanted this divorce for seven years.

• Love 11

I know it's been a trademark of this show since the beginning, but I cannot STAND all the interrupting lawyers in the courtroom.  I'm a lawyer, and if opposing counsel and I kept interrupting and talking over one other like that, the judge would shut that shit down so fast our heads would spin.  It's so incredibly unprofessional and inappropriate. I felt like Lucca and Alicia were particularly rude about it in this episode. It makes me cringe.

• Love 6

I know it's been a trademark of this show since the beginning, but I cannot STAND all the interrupting lawyers in the courtroom.  I'm a lawyer, and if opposing counsel and I kept interrupting and talking over one other like that, the judge would shut that shit down so fast our heads would spin.  It's so incredibly unprofessional and inappropriate. I felt like Lucca and Alicia were particularly rude about it in this episode. It makes me cringe.

One of my pet peeves.  I hate the manner in which dramatized courtroom scenes take all the liberties they can to mock the "real system." TGW is one of the worst offenders.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1

Heh, it's not just opposing sides interrupting each other, but the lawyers on the same side too. I think it happens without fail in every single episode.

I liked this episode. There was more time spent on the lighthearted stuff which I think the show still does reasonably well. I always enjoy the NSA guys and cracked up when we saw their counterparts on the Canadian side. And I was very amused by the Canadian stereotypes, obviously played for comedic effect, since I interact quite a bit with Canadians and the "aboot" thing is one of the things that always stand out to me. And the niceness thing. I wish the show threw in an "eh" at the end of the sentence too.

Also enjoyed the Diane storyline. She's not perfect and jealousy is just a part of human nature, but she righted herself in the end. And it is kind of interesting how the Kurt character seems to interact mostly with attractive younger females in his work. This wasn't the first time.

Not really a fan of the Peter and Alicia storyline. I'm surprised that they're basically having Peter admit defeat. Even if he's guilty, I would think that Peter, being a smart and experienced politician, would have made sure there wasn't any clear evidence linking him to illegal behavior. For Alicia, I'm bummed that the show is making the divorce about Jason. The character and the relationship haven't been developed enough (I think the show is just running out of time). But more importantly, I was kind of hoping for an "I choose me" endgame. Like another poster mentioned, even when Alicia was with Will (and I liked that relationship), I was hoping that the story would be written in such a way where it was clear that Alicia was putting herself first. Ah well. There are still a few episodes left so we'll see where the showrunners/writers go.

Edited by Noreaster
  • Love 2

Not really a fan of the Peter and Alicia storyline. I'm surprised that they're basically having Peter admit defeat. Even if he's guilty, I would think that Peter, being a smart and experienced politician, would have made sure there wasn't any clear evidence linking him to illegal behavior. For Alicia, I'm bummed that the show is making the divorce about Jason. The character and the relationship haven't been developed enough (I think the show is just running out of time). But more importantly, I was kind of hoping for an "I choose me" endgame. Like another poster mentioned, even when Alicia was with Will (and I liked that relationship), I was hoping that the story would be written in such a way where it was clear that Alicia was putting herself first. Ah well. There are still a few episodes left so we'll see where the showrunners/writers go.

Peter hasn't admitted defeat yet. Eli and Michael are still trying to get him out of it. And I don't think the divorce is entirely about Jason. Peter has spent the last 7 seasons getting her into legal trouble, cheating on her, jerking her career around, and now the kids are out of the house. Plus, with his career basically over, and her not being a public figure, neither of them need the show marriage any more. In a way I like that she's affirmatively choosing to be with Jason instead of have him just magically be Prince Charming because he's endgame. It's more interesting that for the first time in the whole show, Alicia is taking a romantic risk instead of just flirting or having flings with guys who are already into her. She's taking an actual risk. 

Still don't see how the firm is better off with Cary. Or what his role is in the AUSA plot. And why did the show build up that Ruth and Shakowsky were witnesses, when the crime Peter committed took place when he was SA, years before he met Ruth, and had nothing to do with a bond court judge. 

• Love 1

The whole silly/insulting charicature/characterization was lazy and not funny or clever. In fact the whole story line was lazy and not interesting.

On the other hand, they are burying all kinds of little gems in the episodes. The lawyer for the US was named Gerard Gallo-for all fans of My Cousin Vinny, I guess Gerry Gallo is NOT dead.

• Love 4

So, I guess the punchline to the Canadian judge and all her "Canada is so nice and perfect and your government is so mean and intrusive and we are a perfect utopia of wonderfulness" stuff was that the Canadian NSA is just like the American NSA, and they have shady spy guys too, and Not-Snowden just exchanged one government agency filled with secrets for another. ...OK. 

I forgot to say before, I am really glad they didn't screw up Diane's marriage. There has to be SOMEBODY out there with a decent relationship!

• Love 1

The whole silly/insulting charicature/characterization was lazy and not funny or clever. In fact the whole story line was lazy and not interesting.

On the other hand, they are burying all kinds of little gems in the episodes. The lawyer for the US was named Gerard Gallo-for all fans of My Cousin Vinny, I guess Gerry Gallo is NOT dead.

But didn't Vinny say "Jerry Gallo's dead my name is Callo C-A-L-L-O" 

One of my favorite movies.

• Love 1

Peter hasn't admitted defeat yet. Eli and Michael are still trying to get him out of it. And I don't think the divorce is entirely about Jason. Peter has spent the last 7 seasons getting her into legal trouble, cheating on her, jerking her career around, and now the kids are out of the house. Plus, with his career basically over, and her not being a public figure, neither of them need the show marriage any more. In a way I like that she's affirmatively choosing to be with Jason instead of have him just magically be Prince Charming because he's endgame. It's more interesting that for the first time in the whole show, Alicia is taking a romantic risk instead of just flirting or having flings with guys who are already into her. She's taking an actual risk.

Still don't see how the firm is better off with Cary. Or what his role is in the AUSA plot. And why did the show build up that Ruth and Shakowsky were witnesses, when the crime Peter committed took place when he was SA, years before he met Ruth, and had nothing to do with a bond court judge.

I feel that Peter is acting defeated. Partly the writing, partly the way Chris Noth is playing the role.

I don't think the divorce is all about Jason either. But it was the Peter/Jason confrontation that directly led to Alicia's decision. At that time, she wasn't aware that Peter's career was in real danger. And then in this episode, her hemming and hawing over telling Jason about the divorce and then that line at the end of the episode...seems to me that she has strong feelings for Jason and that's actually what's driving the divorce decision.

I love Christine Baranski and Gary Cole, but the Diane/Kurt relationship's appeal has eluded me pretty much from the beginning. Sex seems to be the only thing really binding them together - in that respect, they're like a classier, less greasy version of Alicia and Jason.

I've hated the painfully unfunny NSA frat douches from day 1. What was the point of that entire storyline? Did it lead ANYwhere, narratively speaking?

• Love 2

But didn't Vinny say "Jerry Gallo's dead my name is Callo C-A-L-L-O"

Only after Judge Herman Munster told him "You're a dead man"!

Either way, loved the shout out. Don't recall them ever citing that film before or ever really doing inside jokes from other TV shows like when someone on Grey's Anatomy or Chicago Hope won The Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award from St. Elsewhere's

• Love 1

I don't know why Alicia is still defending Peter, and I really don't know why Eli bothers with either of them.

If this were real life, I would say that Alicia is still defending Peter because of the children (whom she doesn't seem to care about) and for the sake of her career.  Since it is a tv show, I say that Alicia is still defending Peter so that the title of the show still applies.

In real life, Eli would bother with them because he is secretly in love with one or both of them or they pay him really well or he is embezzling enough campaign funds to make putting up with them worthwhile.  As a tv show, Eli bothers with them because he fears that if he leaves, he will end up in some office that is so small you can't open the door without hitting the desk again.

Jason and Alicia are going to end up being the OTP of this show, and I am going to puke. I drank two glasses of red wine before this episode, and I still cannot deal with them. 

Maybe you should switch to tequila.

I am trying to figure out what OTP stands for - Occassionally Tipsy Partnership? Old Troubled Pairing? Off Topic People? Omnibus of Truth and Perfection?

Is Crouse really the only investigator in the whole Chicagoland?

He probably isn't the only one but he is by far the best one.  Everyone thought Kalinda was awesome, but she has nothing on Jason.  Kalinda had to flirt, sit in dark cars, wear tight leather clothing and high-heeled boots, threaten people, hide guns in her walls, and often had to rely on her magic vagina to get information.

Meanwhile, all Jason has to do is stare at someone and ask "What happened?"  Then the other person tells him what happened and he goes back to whomever hired him and tells them what happened.  This is why he can spend most of his time waiting in Alicia's apartment for her to come home.  

For a minute there I thought Tascioni might bring in Robyn.

Wouldn't it have been great if Tascioni brought in Kalinda?

Speaking of Jason, I was not expecting the show to go where it did. This is the first time that Alicia wants a guy more than he wants her. All her other love interests (Will, Johnny, Finn, even Peter until season 5 or so) were in love with her and wanted a real relationship. Now, they're risking turning Alicia into clingy, needy, girl, which is the most pathetic a woman can be. So, that's kind of a daring choice.

My take on the whole Alicia - Jason relationship is that he has always wanted/loved her (as every man, except David Lee and Cary, always have), but Alicia started off with "This doesn't mean anything.  It is just about the sex" so Jason didn't want to tell her how he felt.  This is why his silence when she kept asking him what he wanted made sense to me, She set the relationship parameters, she should be the one to admit to caring first.  (It should be noted that I usually find his smirky silence annoying, but I think it is appropriate in that scene).

• Love 6

I liked that episode a lot.  Alicia giving Peter the coat and tie was great, it honored the history of the relationship for fans, as did the scene when Peter told Alicia that his plea means jail time.  

I hope Jason dumps Alicia, and I don't mean that in a mean way, just in a, she needs to be single while Peter is in jail while she and Diane build their firm.  

Three episodes left, lets see how it all falls.  Next week's wedding looks good. 

On a shallow note, are they not even bothering to brush JM's wig anymore, it's so messy and not professional for a lawyer.  

Forget to mention this before - why would Alicia have a man's coat and tie in her closet?  Perhaps it was her coat (he wasn't wearing it, so it didn't have to fit or look manly), but why would she have a tie in a drawer?  Did she put Jason's tie around Peter's neck?  Or was this a holdover from her Annie Hall period?  

I've never seen House of Cards, so I spent the whole episode thinking the Justice was Martha Stewart.

I know her from Criminal Minds and from 24.  However, every time I see her I think she was the woman who fell down an elevator shaft of LA Law then remind myself that she is too young to play that part and that I really know her from being the captain on Star Trek Voyager, even though she wasn't the Voyager captain (however, the actress who fell down the elevator shaft on LA Law did play the doctor on Star Trek: The Next Generation)

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 2

I am trying to figure out what OTP stands for - Occassionally Tipsy Partnership? Old Troubled Pairing? Off Topic People? Omnibus of Truth and Perfection?

Those sound much better than what it actually stands for, which is One True Pairing, which means someones (or a shows) favorite couple, which everything gets built around, and usually end up together. At least on some corners of the internet. 

Now, off to the liquor store for that tequila upgrade! 

• Love 5

Jason was kind of fun in the beginning, when it mostly seemed like he was quietly mocking Alicia without her realizing it. But now that he's in her thrall like every other man* on the show, he's completely boring. And greasy.

*Even Cary, David, and Eli are all obsessed with Alicia in some ways.

Did she put Jason's tie around Peter's neck?  Or was this a holdover from her Annie Hall period?

It looked like maybe it was still in the box?  I know a couple of super-busy people who keep a few "generic" things boxed up in the house - ties for men, scarves for women - just in case they ever need an unexpected gift.

On a shallow note, are they not even bothering to brush JM's wig anymore, it's so messy and not professional for a lawyer.

Cosign. It's looks SO BAD.  I don't mind that she wears a wig.  I don't even mind that it's apparently obvious that she wears one, since I never notice.  But it looks bad, whether it's her hair or a wig.  It's neither wavy or straight, just these weird lumps, like my hair does if I let it air-dry.  While sleeping on it.

To be honest, I often go to work with my hair looking "lumpy".  But I'm neither a high-priced attorney nor the First Lady of Illinois.  And to break the fourth wall for a moment, I'm also not a glamorous Emmy-winning actress and international celebrity.  I'm surprised JM doesn't demand something better. 

• Love 2

A bit out of topic:

It has been two days and now I realize how utterly stupid the plot about former NSA employee defecting to the CSE.

Canada and the USA (and the UK, Australia and NZ) are allies in an intelligence alliance called the Five Eyes. The NSA and the CSE are member intelligence agencies within Five Eyes. Really, a low-level contractor can provide high-quality intelligence about the NSA that the CSE does not know already? Remember that this is not general public (like Snowden). This is a friendly intelligence agency.

Then we go to the asylum request. Asylum, or immigration in general, is a federal matter. A provincial judge (as the Justice of the peace) can not rule on asylum. Such hearing must be heard by the Immigration & Review Board (IRB). The process takes time and typically the seeker is allowed to stay while waiting for the hearing.

However, asylum seekers from the USA will find it hard to win their case nowadays. As proven by seekers from the War in Iraq period, Canada does not see that the U.S. Government is such a terrible entity merits escaping from. In fact, the USA is one of the so-called Designated Countries of Origin, countries that deemed to respect human rights and offer protection. In reality, after Viet Nam War era it is very rare (if any) that asylum requests from U.S. citizens to Canada be granted.

• Love 6
Then we go to the asylum request. Asylum, or immigration in general, is a federal matter. A provincial judge (as the Justice of the peace) can not rule on asylum.

Yes! That drove me crazy! They got the bilingual signs and Peel Regional Police correct, but had a justice of the peace approve an asylum request? Come on, show.

I did enjoy the Blue Jays shout-out, however.

• Love 2

Did she put Jason's tie around Peter's neck? Or was this a holdover from her Annie Hall period?

It looked like maybe it was still in the box? I know a couple of super-busy people who keep a few "generic" things boxed up in the house - ties for men, scarves for women - just in case they ever need an unexpected gift.

The tie was definitely in a box in the closet. I'm guessing the jacket she gave him to hide the handcuffs was just one of her own blazers or coats since it didn't matter that it wouldn't actually fit him.
  • Love 1

It doesn't seem all that odd to me that she might have some of his clothes there either. I've been separated from my husband for years and I still have a few of his odds and ends in my house, including jackets and ties.

Did anyone find it curious in that scene that Alicia asked whether Grace was home before she answered the door for AUSA Fox? That, plus the way she opened the door and just let him and his entourage in, made me think that she knew he was coming but had decided not to tell Peter. Which paints her subsequent actions in a potentially interesting light -- was she reacting out of guilt when she grabbed the jacket and tie, or is her "good wife" persona perhaps merely a ruse at this point? Is she trying to screw Peter over by communicating with Fox behind his back, while having Peter believe that she is on his side so that he won't see it coming? That would be quite the twist.

• Love 1

I know lovinbob doesn't want to know, but thinking back I think the deal was that Peter was guilty, but not of what he was imprisoned for. He was guilty of sleeping with prostitutes. But he was not guilty of paying them out of public funds, which was what got him nailed. He paid the escort personally, unaware of the setup that was paying her separately. Did they ever identify who was behind that setup? Generic Other Party Villain?

This time I think he's playing it defeated because the Kings still didn't know when this was written at this point if this would be the last season so they were hedging their bets. I suspect it'll be pretty clear soon. But I agree, what a waste of seven years to have Alicia's "growth" be wrapped up in a cypher with a leather jacket and smirk.

• Love 2

Those sound much better than what it actually stands for, which is One True Pairing

It's One True Pineapple*

This show actually remembered that Dianne has a husband. Wow.

As for the rest... whatever. Alicia and Jason are terrible. I can never shake the impression she's thinking about Will the whole time she's with him. Maybe that's just my head canon but whenever they talk about their relationship she gets this expression on her face like she's trying not to say something. I think that expression is Will.

*While I will never admit to watching the YouTube video that came from, it's stuck in my head.

Forget to mention this before - why would Alicia have a man's coat and tie in her closet?  Perhaps it was her coat (he wasn't wearing it, so it didn't have to fit or look manly), but why would she have a tie in a drawer?

I also thought about this...and considered that maybe Peter left some clothes there when he was making appearances at Alicia's house during his campaign and they were maintaining the fiction that they still lived together.

• Love 2

If she wants Jason, great, go for it, but I need the writers and the show to show me why. Give me a reason this is the thing that has sparked Alicia to action. I'm all for a character that is an internal person, but we need some insight if she's going to make such a huge change in her life and we haven't been getting it. 

I feel this way too.  And I like JDM and was looking forward to him being on the show.  But I don't really sense all that much chemistry between these two, or any truly compelling feelings about each other.  It's certainly nothing like what went on with Will and Alicia. 

Edited by Shellie
  • Love 1

I hated this episode so much! I guess I am completely gullible, because I assumed that many of the legal arguments and scenarios were plausible. But after that completely lazy and bizarre Canadian plot, I'm done. Would it have killed some of the writers to do a bare minimum of research? Just stupid details drove me crazy. It's illegal to smoke ANYWHERE inside a building, so no need for interminable announcements of smoking in prescribed areas. All announcements would be repeated in our other official language (French) as we are a bilingual country. Our own version of the NSA is CSIS, not CSA. And couldn't they have cast any Canadians in these roles?

I've only been watching for the last two seasons, but I grew to love the show. Primarily due to Will and Diane, Cary, and that incredibly sexy drug dealer that triggered Kalinda's disappearance. Now I am horribly disappointed as we reach the end. The only reason to watch this show is Christine Baranski & JDM. I don't find him greasy but I think that temporary tattoos aren't doing him any favours. I'll just remember him as John Winchester and Denny (Grey's Anatomy) and his place in my heart as an older sex symbol is intact. (I put him beside Colin Firth in my estimation).

I've been reading media reviews and feel like reviewers have drunk the Jason Kool-Aid and think he is great. Maybe the show is campaigning hard on his behalf. Totally agreed that they have not shown me why at all Alicia would choose Jason, other that they sleep together a lot. The whole "How am I going to leave to go to woooork" at the beginning of the episode sounded like a college student whining about having to go to class. All I remember about Jason's character development was Alicia making background calls, ostensibly for SAFETY, and being told he was psychotic.

• Love 3

I'm still hoping for an I-choose-me from Alicia. Still four or something episodes, I can hope. I've always liked her more when she was more sharky/selfish (which does not seem like the popular opinion) and in SOME ways Jason brings this up but at the same time it's shitty that she seemingly needs a man to define herself, first the good wife, then the mistress for a bit and now the liberated middle aged strong-independent-woman-who-don't-need-a-man-but-always-winds-up-with-one-anyway. And also, Jason has been heavily implied to have anger issues (as in anger that includes violence or threats thereof), it's implied he drinks too much/is a recovering alcoholic AND he kissed that lady which was never explained. Choose someone better. But keep the sex wig.

Also mildly off topic but I hope the people making comments about Jason's body don't mind it when the situation's reversed. I can tolerate people who dismiss the idea of body shaming out of hand and I can tolerate people who classify having a preference as inherently body shaming but hypocrites who object to something conditionally are skeezy.

I'm still hoping for an I-choose-me from Alicia. Still four or something episodes, I can hope. I've always liked her more when she was more sharky/selfish (which does not seem like the popular opinion) and in SOME ways Jason brings this up but at the same time it's shitty that she seemingly needs a man to define herself, first the good wife, then the mistress for a bit and now the liberated middle aged strong-independent-woman-who-don't-need-a-man-but-always-winds-up-with-one-anyway. threats thereof), it's implied he drinks too much/is a recovering alcoholic AND he kissed that lady which was never explained. Choose someone better.

When was Alicia the mistress? All her love interests have be n single or married to her. If anything, Will and Johnny were the mistresses.

I can't think of a single show or movie that ended with the protagonist completely alone. I could MAYBE see a situation where Jason declares his all consuming passionate love for Alicia but Alicia decides to enjoy her freedom, but I don't think the show will risk saying that Alicia is unlovable or undesirable. They'll never do that to a protagonist.

Also, Holly Westfall comes back. And if anything happens to Diane's marriage every character on this show will end up single except for horrid Jackie and horrid Howard. I don't set that being the ending.

I'm still wondering what happens with Peter. That's the only plot line with even a tiny bit of suspense left.

When was Alicia the mistress? All her love interests have be n single or married to her. If anything, Will and Johnny were the mistresses.

I can't think of a single show or movie that ended with the protagonist completely alone. I could MAYBE see a situation where Jason declares his all consuming passionate love for Alicia but Alicia decides to enjoy her freedom, but I don't think the show will risk saying that Alicia is unlovable or undesirable. They'll never do that to a protagonist.

Fair point about Will being the mistress. As to the Alicia thing, she wouldn't be unlovable or undesirable if she chose to be on her own. The idea that you can't be your own fulfilled person without having someone else there to fill out your details is weird and depressing and something the media contributes to as much as it's dictated by it. They could choose to go a different direction. And I'd argue that for Alicia especially the idea of choosing herself would be pretty thematically appropriate.

• Love 2

A bit out of topic:It has been two days and now I realize how utterly stupid the plot about former NSA employee defecting to the CSE.Canada and the USA (and the UK, Australia and NZ) are allies in an intelligence alliance called the Five Eyes. The NSA and the CSE are member intelligence agencies within Five Eyes. Really, a low-level contractor can provide high-quality intelligence about the NSA that the CSE does not know already? Remember that this is not general public (like Snowden). This is a friendly intelligence agency.Then we go to the asylum request. Asylum, or immigration in general, is a federal matter. A provincial judge (as the Justice of the peace) can not rule on asylum. Such hearing must be heard by the Immigration & Review Board (IRB). The process takes time and typically the seeker is allowed to stay while waiting for the hearing.However, asylum seekers from the USA will find it hard to win their case nowadays. As proven by seekers from the War in Iraq period, Canada does not see that the U.S. Government is such a terrible entity merits escaping from. In fact, the USA is one of the so-called Designated Countries of Origin, countries that deemed to respect human rights and offer protection. In reality, after Viet Nam War era it is very rare (if any) that asylum requests from U.S. citizens to Canada be granted.

Yea the whole thing was really dumb. With Canada and the US being such close allies, i can't imagine Canada granting that guy aslyum and then pretty pubically giving him a job with CSEC wouldn't be a gigantic diplomatic incident. I live in Ottawa and the US embassy is like blocks away from parliament hill.

Plus why would Canada even want him for a job that would require him to keep government secrets? If he broke classified information laws in the US, why would they think he wouldn't do the same i Canada.

• Love 1

I really dislike Jason in every way. This relationship is the final nail in the coffin for this show for me, so I'm glad it's ending. I thought I was the only one who hated him and their ridiculous relationship and Alicia acting like she's never had sex before. I hate his self satisfied arrogance. Blech

• Love 1

I went to watch "Party" and realized that I'd straight-up forgotten about this one. I guess I've already checked out.

Most of it was dumb. But Diane and Kurt are the best couple ever and I love them and I'm glad I got that part (I hope Gary Cole comes back again before the end.) Also, the brief moment of extreme comedy between Diane and David after the meeting was worth the price of admission. You know you're out there when David Lee is taken aback.

• Love 1

Our own version of the NSA is CSIS, not CSA. And couldn't they have cast any Canadians in these roles?

CSIS=CIA  CSE=NSA.

And the funny thing is that from everything I've heard about this organization--and I read a book a while back written by a whistleblower--CSE is much much worse than either NSA or GCHQ which is the UK verson.  They have really sweeping powers and can listen in on anybody.  Including all those Canadians that ridiculous 'JP' thought were safe from surveillance.

I get that they were playing that plot for laughs.  But it would have been nice if they had tried to get a couple of things right.

Also Alicia?  Has turned into Giggly McNympho before my disbelieving eyes.  

• Love 2

Another tired, stupid stereotype? "Aboot." Okay....the only people who say aboot are people from Scotland. No Canadian EVER says aboot. It's "about" but yet they insist on writing that in for anytime there's a Canadian talking. 

And did they mention polite and clean enough times?