Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E08: Homeward Bound

Hannah becomes stranded after her road trip with Fran gets cut short; Adam stops by Laird's place and stays to help with the baby; Shoshanna gets a wake up call; while recording a new song, Marnie receives parameters for her relationship with Desi.

• Love 1

I gotta wonder if Hannah's road trip with Fran "gets cut short" because he unceremoniously dumps her ass and leaves her stranded in the middle of nowhere.  I can see Fran doing something like that.

I gotta wonder if Hannah's road trip with Fran "gets cut short" because he unceremoniously dumps her ass and leaves her stranded in the middle of nowhere.  I can see Fran doing something like that.

I can't blame the guy.

• Love 8

Ray keeps being my favorite character, I loved his "I have your plates! If you lay a hand on her, I will hunt you down!" Ray is the best and I'm starting to think he has always been the best. 

Marnie and Desi are still the worst.

Also, god damn, Hannah, you an idiot, who gets in cars with strangers? Her behavior is so insane. Also, I sort of loved that Hannah's stranger was Huck from Scandal! AMAZING!  

Adam is also kind of awesome, "why do you need more help than a baby?" aw, Adam and I love that he is worried about Caroline running off and stuff. 

I don't know how I feel about Sosh's going on good stamps but damn, her ex turned out to be a jerk. I think unlike Fran though, he kind of always was a little bit like this, where as Fran seemed normal and then was not.

• Love 6

All four of these girls are truly in a state of arrested development, good lord.

Good to see Lisa Bonet.

I think Adam had the line of the night, when he asked Jessa why would she need more help than a baby. 

And yes, the guys on this show are the true adults, I like that. 

Glad Hannah's car guy didn't turn out to be a psycho.  Although isn't he the guy on Scandal, who kind of plays a psycho. I know he's a bit off isn't he, on that show?

Their lines about New York at the end, warmed my New York loving heart.

Adam is also kind of awesome, "why do you need more help than a baby?" aw, Adam and I love that he is worried about Caroline running off and stuff.

I'm not surprised, didn't Adam get pissed a season or two ago when Hannah asked his sister to leave their apt.? He demonstrates the truth about a good sibling bond even if that sibling frustrates you to no end. When the shit hits the fan he's there. 

Edited by represent
  • Love 8

The book-ending of this episode was nice, Sosh coming back to NY and hating it and Hector with Hannah seeing NYC for the first time and loving it. This show does get it right, a lot of the time with these little moments. 

• Love 8

I hope I'm wrong, but I get the feeling that the little scene with Jessa acting like a baby is a set up for a Hannah - Adam reconciliation by season's end.

Speaking of Adam, I love how Adam was the weird one in the first two seasons, and now he's the most levelheaded, mature character on the show. Plus, how cute was he singing the pumpkin pop/chocolate shop song to the baby?  I'm totally starting to crush on him!

You can add Ray to the positive character change too.  From volatile and bitchy to kind, sweet, and also levelheaded.  I was fuming when Hannah jumped in the car with the stranger, leaving Ray to wait by himself after he drove an hour and a half to rescue her, and after causing the accident with her awkward, suction cup blowjob.  It sounded like Maggie Simpson sucking on her pacifier.

Edited by cherry slushie
  • Love 13

Jessa seemed like a completely different person from the last two episodes. Adam acted like a grown up. I just couldn't with hannah. She couldn't even TALK to Fran but dumped him by text message? She wouldn't accept an awkward ride into the city but instead wanted to impose her crisis on others? And the giving head was so disgusting.

• Love 11

Oh, my gosh. Watching Adam singing Pumpkin Pop and swinging Sample around. She is soooooooo cute.

ETA: How did they get Sample to hold her little arms and legs out straight like a gingerbread man cookie?

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 1

WTF was that? One of the worst of the series IMO. It was like they found a leftover script from the first season and decided to tweak the relationships and run with it. Marnie was still Marnie, but everybody else felt really off. Particularly Hannah, who was acting like an 8 year old after being fairly mature all season.

• Love 8

What Desi said to Marnie, she might end up getting murdered? You could say that about any one of these girls.

I don't buy Ray letting Hannah attempt to blow him. First, because he thinks of her as a sister. Second, he would stop the truck to get her to stop. At the very worst, he would stop the truck because it's too dangerous to drive a truck while someone is trying to blow you.

• Love 14

WTF was that? One of the worst of the series IMO. It was like they found a leftover script from the first season and decided to tweak the relationships and run with it. Marnie was still Marnie, but everybody else felt really off. Particularly Hannah, who was acting like an 8 year old after being fairly mature all season.

Yes, they did feel like a filler episode. Granted, we all knew Hannah and Fran were on the cusp of breaking up, but watching Fran have to chase her through the restroom was ridiculous, even by Hannah standards. 

• Love 4

And the giving head was so disgusting.

For me it was more than it being disgusting, I was like, she's really not well.

I just was...when she said she was doing it to thank him, I'm like really? 

Because I don't get the impression that she just loves going around sucking dicks. I also don't even get the impression that she's  a nymphomaniac, so... But there's a problem when all you can think of is to suck a dick of  a long time friend, closer to brother, because he's doing you a favor and picking you up from being stranded.  Shit, buy him fucking dinner for crying out loud.

You know she started the blowing after he paid her what I think she saw as a compliment. I saw her pause and look at him warmly after he validated her version of events of breaking up with Fran. That's what she was thanking him for and a blow job was the only way she knew how to do that, still sad. Yeah, and she didn't want to call him at first because she complained to Marnie something about not being in the mood for one of his lectures. But when he doesn't end up giving her a lecture and validates her story/reason for breaking it off with Fran, that's when she looks over at him is so grateful for the support and decides to "reward" him.

Edited by represent
  • Love 13

I loved Adam this episode! It's nice to see one of these characters acting like a sane mature adult. I liked to exchange about the formula and the little smack down Adam gave Jessa about the spit up.

I also hate when people freak out about holding babies. It's's just a baby, it's not that difficult. Plus little Sample was adorable and she was abandoned by her mother. Just love on her!

Anyway, I thought Hannah was a dick to ditch Ray and catch a ride back to the city. It's her fault that Ray is stuck out there for five hours so the least she can do is hang out with him and keep him company.

I still don't get what possessed her to give him a blow job and why the hell didn't Ray try to stop her? Hannah really is mentally disturbed and has all kinds of problems with sexual boundaries.

Someday in the future I imagine Hannah as a filthy elderly woman living homeless on the streets and flashing her private parts to unsuspecting people passing by. Maybe even offering the occasional bj.

Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 15

Remember when Hannah's OCD was a thing, and Lena Dunham claimed she'd set it up before it became an important plot point? I think she's not good at setting that sort of thing up, so it's really on her writing, BUT. This season, there was the episode when Hannah went down on the female yoga teacher - out of character as she's never been shown to be bi-curious before. Now she's going down on Ray, which is as inappropriate as it gets. Wonder if this oral sex-ual acting out is setting something up and is not just random Hannah disgustingness.

• Love 12

Remember when Hannah's OCD was a thing, and Lena Dunham claimed she'd set it up before it became an important plot point? I think she's not good at setting that sort of thing up, so it's really on her writing, BUT. This season, there was the episode when Hannah went down on the female yoga teacher - out of character as she's never been shown to be bi-curious before. Now she's going down on Ray, which is as inappropriate as it gets. Wonder if this oral sex-ual acting out is setting something up and is not just random Hannah disgustingness.

My favorite thing about the OCD storyline was the season finale of that season, when Hannah called up Adam-they weren't together at the time- and she was doing her odd number looking over her shoulder and Adam was like, "are you having your OCD thing again?" and I remember thinking, "wait, we the viewers just learned about this like an episode ago and Adam knew him about it? But according to both Hannah and Adam, they only had sex and never really talked about anything important but he knew about OCD, enough to be concerned? " it just seemed odd to me, so yes I agree with you, she doesn't do well at setting things up. 

• Love 5

This was just the weirdest Hannah episode ever. Yes, she clearly has wanted to break up with Fran for a while and I could understand her wanting to run away, but a rational person would have just waited until you got to your first stop and then leave, rather than running away at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere. Actually, a rational person would have had that conversation before going on the summer-long road trip, but that's asking a bit much.

I just felt bad for Ray during that blowjob. It looked so painfully awkward. And then did she go back to try to get him to finish after the truck crashed? The hell?

I really felt for Laird. I would have been a lot more interested in seeing more about Caroline's postpartum depression than most of the storylines this season.

I did love the idea of the Hector storyline. I was really worried when Hannah started to laugh at him for being in an abusive relationship that I was going to be filled with rage about her completely dismissing a male victim of domestic violence. I still think that was something Lena should have just left out because she was never going to handle that well. 

• Love 4

I thought Hannah trying to blow Ray was even more inappropriate than flashing her boss last week. That was sexual-assault-level disturbing, and I can't believe Ray didn't immediately pull over and kick her out of the coffee truck. And then SHE ditches HIM by the side of the road. At least he speaks fluent Russian (?!?!) and knows a guy named Dmitri who can help him out.

Did Hannah only have her phone with her when she texted Fran to break up with him? She didn't even think to take her purse and wallet with her? I'm not even going to say, wear street clothes instead of PJs. I hope Hector doesn't think that everyone in New York is like Hannah.

Desi passive-aggressively singing about a blackberry on his bush while Marnie was talking to Hannah was everything! So was he sleeping with Lisa Bonet throughout their relationship/marriage? LB looks amazing, BTW. Isn't she around 50 years old now?

Jessa was an experienced nanny in season 1, so it doesn't ring true that she wouldn't know how to hold a baby or couldn't handle a little spit-up. It just felt like cheap plot device to cause a rift between them. Little Sample is adorable, but she's screwed having Caroline and Laird as parents.

I don't like feeling-sorry-for-herself Shosh. At least in Japan she seemed more self-possessed, even after getting fired from her job. She should be pounding the pavement and networking - "I just got back from a great stint in Japan, and now I'm looking for my next opportunity" - not drinking sake in the middle of the day.

• Love 12

This episode conforms my theory that Hannah is, in fact, an alien from the planet Blorgon 5, attempting to pass as a member of the human race. The things she does make absolutely no sense, to anyone, ever. I mean, I cannot even decide what she did that was the most ridiculous. Trying to blow Ray? Then leaving him on the side of the road to wait for his friend for hours? Getting into a car with a random guy? Then, of course, literally running away from Fran in the middle of nowhere. She was quite endearing though when Huck from Scandal saw NYC for the first time. So...Miss Blorgon 5 got something right? 

Ray has become such an awesome character. Like, how last week he was the only one of the gang who seemed to really get the point of the show, and now this week, driving up to get Hannah in the middle of nowhere. I just love the guy. And he apparently speaks Russian. I can always appreciate language skills. 

Jessa used to be a nanny, so its strikes me as weird that she would say she had never held a baby. Maybe she just worked with older kids? It looks like there could be some trouble in paradise for Adam and Jessa, especially if Adam starts wanting to get more involved with Caroline's baby. Adam has matured so much over the show, while the Girls seem to have backtracked, if anything. 

Marni and Desi were actually not the most ridiculous people in an episode for once. Shocking. 

• Love 13

I loved Adam this episode! It's nice to see one of these characters acting like a sane mature adult. I liked to exchange about the formula and the little smack down Adam gave Jessa about the spit up.

I also hate when people freak out about holding babies. It's's just a baby, it's not that difficult. Plus little Sample was adorable and she was abandoned by her mother. Just love on her!

Unless you are into babies, you do not want to hold one. It's just like holding anything else. Wanna hold the monkey? No thanks, I am worried my face will get bitten off. Wanna hold the birdie? No, thank you, she looks very bitey to me. Wanna hold the hamster? No. See birdie. Wanna hold the baby? Hell to the no! They bite, drool, poop, pee, and vomit unpredictably. They grab parts of you they shouldn't and won't let go. Also their parents will sue if you drop them. Or if they object to the baby's choice of part not to let go of, or the way you're acting too loving to the baby. No. Again, no. Adam is very brave.

But Jessa has worked in child care and so she really should be more into babies. Unless perhaps her child care experience is the very reason she's not into holding a baby.

ITA about Hannah.

Edited by Hecate7
  • Love 10

I found this episode deeply frustrating. When Adam is the adult in the room and asking all the right questions, the writing has failed the rest of the cast. Ray would NEVER let her blow him. Never. <br /><br />Marnie was the only female I could back up this week. Her annoyance amused me. I would have been just as snarky with that woman. Team Marnie!<br /><br />Shoshana was pathetic but in the normal realm of pathetic. She wanted to test the temperature with her ex but also save face. The fact he was the first person she wanted to see was both sad and relatable. And his anger was fair. As was his friend's birdie to her.<br /><br />I never got why Fran liked Hannah other than he said once he liked drama girls. The show never gave them a chance this season. Hannah is such a mess. A true mess. But not one I want to watch. Shoshana I would watch. Marnie is more satiric so I enjoy the humor. Jessa is all over the place. I hate spit up too but be a frakking adult. Adam and Sample I could watch in bits. <br /><br />I just kind of hate how this group of females is entirely incompetent but somehow pay rent and I guess pay their phone bills and data plans.

• Love 7

This episode conforms my theory that Hannah is, in fact, an alien from the planet Blorgon 5, attempting to pass as a member of the human race. The things she does make absolutely no sense, to anyone, ever. I mean, I cannot even decide what she did that was the most ridiculous. Trying to blow Ray? Then leaving him on the side of the road to wait for his friend for hours? Getting into a car with a random guy? Then, of course, literally running away from Fran in the middle of nowhere. She was quite endearing though when Huck from Scandal saw NYC for the first time. So...Miss Blorgon 5 got something right? 

I think you may be on to something. Maybe Hannah is similar to Scarlett Johansson's character in Under the Skin. ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441395/?ref_=nv_sr_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Skin_(2013_film)

I'm not a big fan of babies, but Jessa's look of confusion over why Adam was tending to the baby instead of her was ridiculous, yes, spit up is gross but expecting the only other adult to leave the baby to clean up another adult is ridiculous. 

And I think Jessa's nannying skills were probably only for kids over the age of 4. I doubt very much she was willing to work with kids on potty-training and diaper years. It makes sense she was so uncomfortable around the baby.

Are we forgetting that the baby's real name is JessaHannah?

I love Ray. I believe he is my favorite character and like I said, I think he has always been the best. I'm trying to remember if I disliked him but I think I always enjoyed his character. Adam used to skeeze me out in the beginning of this show, but Ray was always hilarious. I still remember some awesome moments from him in the first season, like in the pilot when Hannah was complaining about being cut off from her parents and not having a job and refusing to work at a fast food restaurant  because she "went to college"  as if this logic meant it was beneath her and Ray was pretty much all, "okay.. but you need a job and to pay bills, correct??" and when he and Charlie were in the band together and they were playing that party and Ray stopped playing because someone brought a baby and he shouted, "is that a baby? why would you bring a baby here?" And he just keeps getting awesome.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 6

So they decide to abruptly end Hanna and Fran because she just doesn't feel like it any more.  It would be more believable if he ended it given the way she's been behaving.

And then Hanna "Basic Instinct" Horvath decides to cross yet another boundary, causes Ray to screw up his coffee truck.

The Shosh Japan episode was cutesy but what grown woman dresses like that to fly back?

Jessa is more needy than an infant.  Gonna be a hell of a therapist.

Oh and almost forgot Marnie.  "Look at me!"  "Listen to me, Desi!"

Edited by scrb
  • Love 3

Anyway, I thought Hannah was a dick to ditch Ray and catch a ride back to the city. It's her fault that Ray is stuck out there for five hours so the least she can do is hang out with him and keep him company.

That multiplied my Hannah hate this episode by a thousand + those dingy pajamas didn't help. She's a mess.

• Love 5

In a way I kind of get Jessa's reaction: the baby doesn't care if you clean her up. She's like, "yay! stuff I did is all over me. F you." Babies really don't care about being clean. That's an adult thing. I actually saw this as forshadowing Adam and Jessa having a baby together, though. Jessa has always sort of wanted to. She's alluded to it a couple of times as a bad, scary thing, but now she's going to see it as the best way to get and keep Adam's attention.

I was surprised Shosh wasn't happy at the rudeness since she was unhappy at the excessive politeness. When I moved home to the east coast after four years in the south people being really direct cheered me up... Just jumping into a conversation if we're on line for example instead of a minute of excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt, couldn't help hearing...

Unless you are into babies, you do not want to hold one. It's just like holding anything else. Wanna hold the monkey? No thanks, I am worried my face will get bitten off. Wanna hold the birdie? No, thank you, she looks very bitey to me. Wanna hold the hamster? No. See birdie. Wanna hold the baby? Hell to the no! They bite, drool, poop, pee, and vomit unpredictably. They grab parts of you they shouldn't and won't let go. Also their parents will sue if you drop them. Or if they object to the baby's choice of part not to let go of, or the way you're acting too loving to the baby. No. Again, no. Adam is very brave.

But Jessa has worked in child care and so she really should be more into babies. Unless perhaps her child care experience is the very reason she's not into holding a baby.

ITA about Hannah.

Point taken, hell no I don't want to hold a bird or a hamster! Maybe I should have been more specific to Jessa. I don't get why she was so uncomfortable holding Jessa-Hannah for a few minutes. She was a nanny and I assume she's been around this particular baby before. Anyway, Adam wasn't asking her to babysit for an hour, he just had to pee. Somehow I doubt Hannah would be any better with a baby. Edited by grumpypanda
  • Love 3

Agree with everyone who thought the characterizations in this episode were off-it was just bizarre, across the board. It's like they decided to have most of the characters suddenly revert to the worst version of themselves, disregarding all the growth we've seen this year.<br /><br />That said, I definitely laughed when Fran was chasing Hannah through the rest stop bathroom. And I did like the grace note at the end of Hannah's story, with her seeing the city through Huck's eyes and seeming to have a shift in attitude, though I don't expect it to stick.

• Love 2

I liked at the guy was just a guy, I think that probably most of the time people really are just people, not to say we should all hitchhike, but a lot of people would feel concerned seeing a woman in pajamas by a broken truck at the side of the road. So I did like that. But Jessa seemed a very different person than the one she's been all season. And Hannah straight up assaulted ray.

• Love 5

I forgot about Hannah's OCD. Did Lena? I think Lena is a good writer but maybe lacks big picture plotting. And I don't believe a real person would have left Ray on the side of the road.

I don't think Shoshana' s ex was all that jerky. He was angry. Offended at being blindsided. She abandoned him at the airport. His reaction felt fairly mild to me. And I liked the increasing pettiness of their fight.

In retrospect how could Adam have not won the night. Youngish man with cute baby=winning!

• Love 7

A lot of the things Hannah does are impossible to imagine being done by a real person. She's so over the top ridiculous and messy but I still have some affection for the character. I was surprised during Lena's Inside the Episode to hear her talk about Fran as though he was equally to blame for this relationship falling apart. I mean he is in the sense that they were not compatible, but I don't see the anger in him she claims is there. Maybe the actor is just too likable, whereas Lena really commits to making Hannah unlikable. 

Jessa was a terrible nanny, from how I remember it. She was flighty and irresponsible. She might have not hated that kid, but a lot of people can handle kids and not babies (and a lot of people are the opposite). Jessa has always been self-centered so it's not shocking that she reacted this way when Adam's attention is off her for a minute. That baby is so adorable though. 

I just remembered Hannah's Basic Instinct moment. So that's three bizarre sexual acting out events towards the end of this season. Girl on girl. Flashing her instructor and apparently not wearing underwear at work. The Ray bj.

Dunham is definitely going to have all that mean something.

• Love 3
Are we forgetting that the baby's real name is JessaHannah?

I did. Thanks for the reminder. I kind of like Sample as a nickname, esp when Laird said that she was sample size.

Boy, all four Girls were horrid, with Marnie being the least horrid of them all for once. The worst was Hannah. Texting Fran from the bathroom to break up, then refusing to open the door and talk face to face, then running away from him in circles, then heading for the woods and refusing to even get in the RV... Sheesh. She didn't have to sit up front with him. She could have laid down in the bed, stayed in the back of the RV. Heck, even camped out in the RV bathroom like she was at the road stop.

Going down on Ray was too much. It seemed like the writer (Lena?) was just straining for a way to crash the coffee truck. Maybe there was supposed to be some psychological reason for why Hannah felt compelled to do that. After the way she treated Fran she wanted to think of herself as a nice woman who wants to pleasure a man? I dunno. I did love that she told Marnie she didn't want to call Ray because she didn't want a lecture from him. Not only did he not lecture her (but supported her), Hannah was the one who brought it all up, like she wanted a lecture?

Love Hector. I hope he doesn't get involved with Hannah. Run away!

Shosh again treated Jason Ritter badly. I didn't see him doing anything wrong. 

Marnie was actually ok, I think. The way she reacted to Lisa Bonet made sense. "Nama-fucking-sta."

And then there's Jessa. Yes, what a baby. Whatever. But Adam was adorable and just perfect. Singing to Sample was so so sweet and endearing. Earlier when Laird read the note from Caroline, I started to tear up. I hope she's all right, gets help, and stays with Laird and Sample.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 5

I don't buy Ray letting Hannah attempt to blow him. First, because he thinks of her as a sister. Second, he would stop the truck to get her to stop. At the very worst, he would stop the truck because it's too dangerous to drive a truck while someone is trying to blow you.

I expected Ray to not let her go through with it but was glad to be surprised because it seemed like, "Oh right. That's what an actual guy might do who hasn't had any kind of sex in a long time." And then he wouldn't stop the vehicle in case it meant she'd stop and also because he clearly was caught off guard.

• Love 2
This was just the weirdest Hannah episode ever. Yes, she clearly has wanted to break up with Fran for a while and I could understand her wanting to run away, but a rational person would have just waited until you got to your first stop and then leave, rather than running away at a rest stop in the middle of nowhere. Actually, a rational person would have had that conversation before going on the summer-long road trip, but that's asking a bit much.

All I can say is Hannah is the same person who responded to a conversation with her boss about her poor work performance by flashing her vagina at him.  Rational behavior has no place in her particular story.   

• Love 7

Caroline so clearly has ppd. i hope she gets help.

and yes Shosh was an entitled whiny brat. food stamps? and saying it's cause she's Jewish? ugh, Shosh. you wouldn't be the first 20-something to have to go live home for awhile, go do it. Manhattan is fucking expensive. suck it up.

Didn't Hector (I remember this actor from Weeds) say he was fleeing a bad relationship in Nevada? Why would he be driving south toward NYC from upstate? That made no sense to me. Maybe I missed something.

• Love 8

I just remembered Hannah's Basic Instinct moment. So that's three bizarre sexual acting out events towards the end of this season. Girl on girl. Flashing her instructor and apparently not wearing underwear at work. The Ray bj.

Dunham is definitely going to have all that mean something.

Yes, I agree. Maybe a bipolar diagnosis?

The Jessa thing is strange - but I thought both of their reactions were bizarre throughout the whole situation. Jessa was a champ and went and got diapers and formula (although honestly you'd think Laird would have some of that stuff around the house already if the mother has been gone for a few days). I get not being comfortable holding babies - I never was until I had my own, but if someone is like "I really need to pee, can you hold the baby?" I would have done it. Awkwardly but still. And I suppose everyone's opinion differs on this but baby vomit is not like regular vomit. It smells a bit like spoiled milk but it's not like vomit smell. I get being uncomfortable with it but just chill out, go into the bathroom, take your shirt off and wipe yourself off. And Adam, you can put the baby down for five seconds. There is no reason at all that a baby has to be held constantly for that amount of time. Put the baby down. You can pee while the baby lays on a cold bathroom floor for 30 seconds. 

And I was so excited to see Lisa Bonet on screen that I don't even care about Marnie. 

And it actually kind of breaks my heart that the sister has such obvious PPD and Laird and no one else seemed to notice until she was so far gone that she left? Ouch. 

Edited by EdnasEdibles
  • Love 4

Jessa was the one who helped deliver that baby, dunked her head under water.

But she's squeamish about a little spittle and worried about it going down to her but crack?  It was a baby, not a fire hose.

• Love 9