Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

I remember reading that he and Elaine May had been a couple but I completely forgot until seeing it on Twitter. They were together since 1999, twenty years. My deepest condolences to her.

5.167125.jpg

Some clips from classic Donen movies:

Singin' in the Rain co-directing with Gene Kelly. Favorite scene is Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh" number:

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers:

Funny Face:

Charade, The best Hitchcock movie NOT directed by Alfred Hitchcock:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 11

I simply LOVED so many of Stanley Donen's films.  I well remember his acceptance speech for the honorary Oscar for lifetime achievement.  It was what all speeches on awards shows should be - funny, gracious, witty, charming.  

I will have to watch TCM's site to see when they do their tribute to him.  It really shouldn't be only 2 or 3 films, as they usually do, but 8 or 10!  

• Love 10

Some people just know when to make their exits...& so Oscar-winner Stanley Donen leaves us on Oscar weekend 2019 (like the late NFL football Hall of Famer & broadcaster Frank Gifford left us on the opening day/weekend of the NFL football season a few years back). RIP & L, Sir!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Some people just know when to make their exits...& so Oscar-winner Stanley Donen leaves us on Oscar weekend 2019 (like the late NFL football Hall of Famer & broadcaster Frank Gifford left us on the opening day/weekend of the NFL football season a few years back). RIP & L, Sir!

The night the Seinfeld finale aired, which many viewers found disappointing, Frank Sinatra died.  The next day the Seinfeld finale got very little mention with all the tributes to Ol' Blue Eyes.

Then there are deaths occurring on the same day.  A couple examples:  C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley both died on Nov. 22, 1963.  The entire world was focused on the assassination of JFK, so little coverage of those other deaths.  More recently, Farrah Fawcett's death was eclipsed by the death of Michael Jackson just  a few hours later.  

Someone is probably editing the Oscar's In Memoriam segment at this moment to include Donen.  I wonder who will get the final spot in the montage.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I loved Peter on The Monkees.  "The Devil and Peter Tork" was one of my favorites, so sweet, and I liked the indulgence with which the other Monkees would sigh, "No, Peter," whenever he'd do something dim.  And for later years, I loved him playing Topanga's dad on Boy Meets World, especially in the episode where he, Davy, and Micky all co-starred and they performed together at Mr. and Mrs. Matthews's anniversary party.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, angora said:

And for later years, I loved him playing Topanga's dad on Boy Meets World, especially in the episode where he, Davy, and Micky all co-starred and they performed together at Mr. and Mrs. Matthews's anniversary party.

That episode is fun. I love Davy annoying everyone by horning in on whatever they're doing, and Peter being like, "You even drive down my street, you're a dead man." 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Morgan Woodward, known for being Punk Anderson on O-R CBS Dallas from 1980-87, as well as a host of other film and television roles, passed on Friday at 93.

https://westernboothill.blogspot.com/2019/02/rip-morgan-woodward.html

Wow. I have been re-watching Dallas on Imdb Free Dive, and he's been in quite a few of the ones I've seen lately, all about the Takopa development with Jock & then Jock's death. I was looking up Jim Davis a couple weeks ago, I was curious as to exactly when he died in relation to the episodes, and I saw that Morgan was still alive then. Amazing at that age ! I know it's not that uncommon to live that long, but it still surprises me. I can't think of one person, in all my family history, that has made it to 90. 89 is the best so far. Seems like most of the older characters from Dallas are gone now.

• Love 2

Lisa Sheridan, CSI actress, age 44, (other tv roles as well) died on Monday.  Apparently, the cause of death is a mystery.  This article says the family ruled out suicide, but, not sure how when they don't know cause of death.  She was previously engaged to actor Ron LIvingston (Burger) of Sex In The City and had a reputation as a very sweet and kind person. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/lisa-sheridan-death-csi-actress-found-dead-at-her-home-aged-44-a4078691.html

Composer and conductor (and winner of four Oscars and ten Grammys) Andre Previn has died at the age of 89.  As a teenager, he played piano at a Hollywood theatre, improvising scores at (silent) film screenings; I love this story:

"There was one of those huge silent epics which kept vacillating allegorically between biblical times and the Roaring '20s, and so I really had to pay attention," Previn told NPR's Weekend Edition in 1991. "But I noticed that each time they switched venues, as it were, it would stay there for a while. So we came out of a biblical time and back into people Charlestoning their life away. And I thought, 'Well, I'm safe for a few minutes.' And so I started playing 'Tiger Rag,' and I heard a commotion in the audience, and the manager was storming down the aisle. And I took a quick look up on the screen — and I was playing 'Tiger Rag' to the Crucifixion, which was a bad choice. And I was out on the pavement about three minutes later."

• Love 12
(edited)
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

Composer and conductor (and winner of four Oscars and ten Grammys) Andre Previn has died at the age of 89.  As a teenager, he played piano at a Hollywood theatre, improvising scores at (silent) film screenings; I love this story:

"There was one of those huge silent epics which kept vacillating allegorically between biblical times and the Roaring '20s, and so I really had to pay attention," Previn told NPR's Weekend Edition in 1991. "But I noticed that each time they switched venues, as it were, it would stay there for a while. So we came out of a biblical time and back into people Charlestoning their life away. And I thought, 'Well, I'm safe for a few minutes.' And so I started playing 'Tiger Rag,' and I heard a commotion in the audience, and the manager was storming down the aisle. And I took a quick look up on the screen — and I was playing 'Tiger Rag' to the Crucifixion, which was a bad choice. And I was out on the pavement about three minutes later."

Andre Previn also is, if it wasn’t mentioned in the linked obit, the former husband of actress & activist Mia Farrow, & the adoptive father of a number of her children. This includes Soon-Yi, the Farrow-Previn daughter who went on to have an affair with, & marry & have 2 daughters with, embattled Oscar-winning director/actor/writer Woody Allen. Allen is the former longtime partner of her adoptive mother, Mia Farrow, & the father of at least 2 biological children from that relationship. 1 of these children—along with Ms. Farrow & another Allen/Farrow biological offspring has long accused Allen of, still more unfounded than not, incidents of child molestation against her.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix a sentence for purposes of clarity.
  • Love 1
(edited)

Aw mannnnnnnnnnn!  While I couldn't stand Jessica Tate/Lois Whelan (Soap/Everybody Loves Raymond), I always liked the actress.  Can't stand ditzy tv characters.

Oh yeah, FUCK Alzheimer's!!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

<sniff>  I talked with her a bit at a charity event for local animal welfare organizations, during her Who's The Boss? days.  She was nice, funny, and an animal lover -- aces in my book.  (Okay, she also told me I had beautiful hair, but I swear that's not the only reason I liked her. 🙂 ) I liked her on Soap, loved her as Mona on WTB?, and would tune in to Everybody Loves Raymond, a show I otherwise avoided, when she and Robert Culp guest starred as Debra's parents, because they were hilariously good.

• Love 19

Here's Alyssa Milano's tweet about Helmond, and I love that she included a fairly recent photograph along with the older ones (since it's so common to avoid showing old folks as, gasp, old).

• Love 16
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Aw mannnnnnnnnnn!  While I couldn't stand Jessica Tate/Lois Whelan (Soap/Everybody Loves Raymond), I always liked the actress.  Can't stand ditzy tv characters.

Lois Whelan on ELR wasn't a ditz. As Katherine explains, she based it on a rich couple she knew who were very self-absorbed and would travel and their child was indidental.

I first grew up knowing her as Mona, Angela's mom on Who's The Boss? where she was sharp as a tack. She was also Blanche before Blanche on The Golden Girls!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8
21 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Lois Whelan on ELR wasn't a ditz.

You're right....still didn't like Lois though.

Bastet, she still looked good; I liked the recent pic as well. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Word. Loved her in Who's the boss. May she rest in peace.

• Love 9

Who's the Boss?, was and still remains one of my favorite late 20th century tv  guilty (not really that guilty) pleasures.

It knew exactly what it was and it did it extremely well.

RIP Katherine.

• Love 13

I had been wondering for awhile what had happened to Katherine Helmond, since it had been a long time since she had been in the public eye (& I didn’t think she was the “retire & fade away gracefully” type). I suspected a battle with Alzheimer’s was the reason; sadly it appears I was right. I enjoyed her work over the years.

We were “birthday twins” (I think that’s what they’re called); we shared a birthday, but not the same birth year. She had 34 years on me, if the age stated in her obit was correct. I always kinda loved that she had a husband who was so much younger than her (cougar, indeed)—I think he would be 76 now (19 + 57 = 76). I’m also happy—& sad for him, now that she’s gone—that they stayed together until her death.

I can’t say it enough... FUCK CANCER & ALZHEIMER’S! We MUST find cures for both; they’re taking away way too many people!

• Love 8

RIP Katherine Helmond.   She could play ditzy well.   But when you needed dramatic, she brought it.   I remember one scene from Who's the Boss when she was dating the college guy and the fraternity came and sang "Sweetheart of Sigma Ki" and she was all teary.    But this scene from Soap is her in a nutshell:

• Love 8

It's nice to know that the entire cast of Who's The Boss? valued Miss Hellmond (and that she got to be with them one last time for that 'reunion' shot before that horrible Alzheimer's destroyed her from within). Also the most famous living Soap alum Billy Crystal valued her,too! I'm very sad that Miss Hellmond and her longtime husband had to endure that horrific ordeal at the end of what appeared to have been a wonderful bond but at least she's free of it her now widower had over a half-century of wonderful memories with her and nothing can take that away from him or her many colleagues who valued their friendship with her! RIP, Miss Hellmond (and EXTERMINATE Alzheimer's and other age-related dementia conditions)!

• Love 9
6 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Nathaniel Taylor was a wonderful comedian. He could make you laugh until your sides hurt.

Rest in peace, Nathaniel.

He aged like fine wine.  R.I.P. Mr. Taylor.  Loved Katherine Helmond too.  R.I.P Ms. Helmond.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, merylinkid said:

RIP Katherine Helmond.   She could play ditzy well.   But when you needed dramatic, she brought it.   I remember one scene from Who's the Boss when she was dating the college guy and the fraternity came and sang "Sweetheart of Sigma Ki" and she was all teary.    But this scene from Soap is her in a nutshell:

She really could. There weren't a lot of serious moments in SOAP but there were some and she always knocked it out of the park. Like when she was sick and when she was on trial for murder. So many good funny parts with her like when Mary tells her that her gay son is going to be a father and Jessica says. "Dennis is pregnant?!" 

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

She really could. There weren't a lot of serious moments in SOAP but there were some and she always knocked it out of the park. Like when she was sick and when she was on trial for murder.

It's amazing how well they could balance the funny and the serious on that show. They had some genuinely touching moments. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

It's amazing how well they could balance the funny and the serious on that show. They had some genuinely touching moments. 

Yes, they really did. Soap really could make you laugh one minute and then turn serious another. 

• Love 8