Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

She lived to 93, had a long and respected career, was made a dame, and did an interview two days before her death; not bad!  It was but one of the many roles she nailed, but she was perfect on AbFab.  That character reminded me a bit of the mom of a friend of my mom's, so I adored the performance even more.  I like Julia Sawalha's tribute to her "Gran":

And this is a lovely story from Miranda Hart:

• Love 13
10 hours ago, Bastet said:

She lived to 93, had a long and respected career, was made a dame, and did an interview two days before her death; not bad!  It was but one of the many roles she nailed, but she was perfect on AbFab.

I loved June Whitfield in AbFab!  But you're right, 93 is a nice run.  R.I.P. Ms. Whitfield.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding stuff.

40 minutes ago, Rose Quartz said:

I got curious enough to go looking for it.  It's on the second page of the Other A Shows.  It looks like the Other Shows folder is sorted based on last posting date and not alphabetically and that can make things harder to find.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4943-absolutely-fabulous/

David has been posting about these new changes and where you can find them for a few weeks now. There’s a pinned post on the top of the home page.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Bastet said:

She lived to 93, had a long and respected career, was made a dame, and did an interview two days before her death; not bad!  It was but one of the many roles she nailed, but she was perfect on AbFab.  That character reminded me a bit of the mom of a friend of my mom's, so I adored the performance even more.  I like Julia Sawalha's tribute to her "Gran":

And now there's something in my eye.  Rest peacefully, Gran.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

I got curious enough to go looking for it.  It's on the second page of the Other A Shows.  It looks like the Other Shows folder is sorted based on last posting date and not alphabetically and that can make things harder to find.

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/4943-absolutely-fabulous/

You can change the sort option.

image.png.8811203234d707e441ea0683b5a69d9d.png

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

David has been posting about these new changes and where you can find them for a few weeks now. There’s a pinned post on the top of the home page.

4 hours ago, connieinnc said:

That post was clear as mud, with all respect to mod

You can ask clarifying questions in that same thread.  Also, FYI David is not a mod, he is the owner of the site.  The original (first) post in that thread also gets updated as progress is made.

• Love 5

Mike "Beard Guy" Taylor of the band Walk Off The Earth died Saturday night in his sleep. I can't find his age listed anywhere but I'd guess he was in his 30s. The band's statement says he passed away "peacefully from natural causes." Per the article, the band was set to play a New Year's Eve TV special for the CBC tonight, which they obviously won't be doing now.  Very sad all around since this was obviously quite unexpected.

• Love 1
On 2018-12-30 at 12:42 PM, GHScorpiosRule said:

Will commit the changes to memory.

• Love 1

RIP. He was a part of my childhood too. That 80s era of wrestling is nostalgic for me and Mean Gene was a part of that. I love that he was also in "Hulk Hogan's Rock and Wrestling" cartoon!

image.png.5357519d919891e0fee8a0863d97bc74.png

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

Man, my childhood is taking a hit today. Loved Super Dave. Some of the most laugh out loud physical comedy gags ever.

When I found out he and Albert Brooks were brothers it blew my mind. That scene in Modern Romance where Brooks is in the shoe store trying to buy a sneaker and Bob is the clerk is hilarious.

• Love 5

Man, I just realized how many Saturday mornings I spent watching WWF and Saturday nights watching Super Dave in the late 80s.

Great obit. Re-watching Mean Gene's old interviews it's amazing how he managed to keep a straight face through all the flamboyant and over-the-top personalities, treating them like regular athletes!

Gene's straight man reactions and Superdave's absolute deadpan after a stunt gone wrong shows how less can be even funnier than more.
Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

Toni Tennille has a presence on Facebook (& maybe Twitter; I can’t remember) where she posts & I follow her (being a fan of The Captain & Tennille & a fellow Alabamian by birth). I remember reading her post saying she was moving back to Arizona (she had been living in Lake Mary, FL, near 1 of her sisters & her family, since she & Daryl Dragon divorced).

At the time, she had said Daryl was doing well (She said despite the divorce they were still friends & she still called to check up on him every couple of weeks or so); she was helping him get a handle on his memoirs (She published her own, Toni Tennille: A Memoir written with her niece Caroline, in 2016–if you liked The Captain & Tennille & weren’t aware of the book, I recommend it; it’s really interesting reading, & an audiobook read by Toni is also available. Especially when she writes about what their marriage was like, offstage). She also had said that, while she loved living near her sister & her family, Florida just wasn’t feeling like home, after all, & she felt like she should move back to Arizona (where she had lived, with Daryl, for a substantially longer period of time). But I wonder now if Daryl’s declining health wasn’t actually part of the impetus in her return to Arizona (they lived in/near Prescott).

• Love 8

What really hits me in the feels is the fact that Toni Tennille moved back to Arizona to help take care of him and that she was at his side when he passed on.  I guess love really did keep them together despite the divorce!

• Love 21
2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I remember seeing Captain & Tennille in concert as a kid. Good times indeed.

I saw them at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island back in the 70s, I was in high school and went with some friends.  More recently, my GF is Facebook friends with Toni Tennille (she uses a different name on FB) as they both have Australian Shepherds, and connected through mutual Aussie groups.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I remember seeing Captain & Tennille in concert as a kid. Good times indeed.

I saw them in concert once too. After their third album, Come in From the Rain, was released. It was at the Coliseum (the indoor venue where all the major acts played back then) at the Indiana State Fair in Indianapolis. Loved it. Still have the “tour book” (those souvenir books about the show/artist with photos you can buy at concerts)—the cover is the cover photo from the Come in From the Rain album.

Wish I could’ve seen them more than once, but I’m glad they retired on their own terms; I think 1 or both had fundamental issues with how the music business is/was run & Toni seemed to feel behind the scenes pressure from that contributed to Karen Carpenter’s anorexia-related death (they met when they were on the same record label). Toni went on to do a number of solo CDs (around 5, I think—but there are also at least 2 compilations in that number from among her original solo CDs) from the standards/Great American Songbook genre, which I believe is a favorite musical genre of hers.

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I saw them at the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island back in the 70s, I was in high school and went with some friends.  More recently, my GF is Facebook friends with Toni Tennille (she uses a different name on FB) as they both have Australian Shepherds, and connected through mutual Aussie groups.

Toni also has posted on FB under “Toni Tennille”. That’s the name I’ve been following her under there. Although I don’t blame her for using a pseudonym for posting about Australian Shepherds—but if you know anything about her, you know that’s the dog breed she has & likes. She even takes (or took) them as therapy dogs to various facilities. The last time I saw her post/write about the dogs, they were named Bebop & Lula.

• Love 5

Will there be a picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone?

ETA: If only there was a prize for being the millionth person to say that.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Herb Kelleher, the founder of Southwest Airlines has died, and several airlines have tweeted their condolences in lovely words.

He was an amazing leader and has been mentioned hundreds of times since his passing, most corporate leaders could take a lesson or two on how to treat their employees from him. He was so funny. “You all make me feel young. I know I look like a basset hound but I feel young on the inside.” When honored at a street name dedication, “I’m not crying. I’m just hungover.” (As he was sobbing. But he probably was hungover, too.) Too many quotes to relate. Enjoy your Wild Turkey in Heaven, Herbie! Your adopted state of Texas loves and cherishes you. We should all be so blessed to have a boss like you.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 11

19 year old college football player Bryce Turner has died.

"Turner was hospitalized near his home in Southern California on Dec. 30 after suffering what his family described as a "medical emergency." The school did not release a cause of death.

It is unclear what Turner was being treated for, but the medical event the family referenced occurred during a workout, sources said."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25693450/bryce-turner-california-golden-bears-dies-19?platform=amp

• Love 3